Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Traumatic Beginnings (Hiddenartist & rskde)

"Thanks." She said, her voice hollow. Her ex said the same thing. And the one time she accepted the offer, her life turned even worse than it had been before. She stayed silent the rest of the drive back, it was only a couple streets away from the high school that she started giving directions. She was getting nervous. When they got back to close to the high school, it was practically 5 already, and they were fifteen minutes from her house. If she was really lucky, her father would be late, and she would have time to make dinner and clean up any obvious messes. Instead of having him stop near to the house and walking the rest of the way, she was too worried about the time and guided him straight to the house. The closer they got, the more anxious she got. She was a tiny bit relieved when no one was in the driveway, but she didn't waste time, quickly grabbing her stuff. "Thank you for driving me and taking me to the lighthouse. Really." She said as she hurriedly got out.

He reaches her house and watches her leave his car. "Maybe we can do it again sometime!" He calls out to her, though he isn't sure if she even heard it or not. He drives away and back to his house, parking in his driveway before leaving his car. He walks into his house and collapses on his bed, thinking about Salene. "Why DID I do that?" He asks himself with a laugh. He sighs quietly, going to bed without going to dinner.

Her father didn't get back late. He got back early. She didn't scream, didn't cry, none of that did any good. Instead she just got through the evening, and laid in bed with her door locked. She'd have more bruises in the morning. The one thing she did have, though, was the memory of that sunset. It was worth the bruises. One hour of beauty was worth the hours of pain.

She didn't sleep at all that night, getting up before alarm went off and quietly unlocking her door, she peeked her head out and listened. She heard her father's snoring coming from his room. With a breath of relief, she tiptoed across the hall and took a 3 minute shower, going through the same routine of peeking into the hall and listening before returning to her room. Once there, she pulled on a ripped pair of jeans, wincing a little from the soreness of the spanking he gave her the night before, and put on a tshirt and jacket as usual. Her hair was still wet, which she didn't mind, but she still had the scratch along her hairline from when he through the glass at her. Reaching up and touching it, she winced at the tenderness. Her eyes, she knew, had to have shadows under them, but she was used to it. Sleepless nights weren't unfamiliar.

Grabbing her bookbag, since her father was asleep this time, she opened her door and made her way outside and started her walk to school.

Kev wakes himself in the morning, making himself a pop tart in the toaster and quickly consuming it before grabbing his backpack from the foyer before walking out of the house, getting into his car before pulling out of the driveway. He taps his fingers against his wheel as he waits at a red light. He looks over at the sidewalk and notices Salene walking to school. He pulls over and waves at her.

"Hey, you know I can pick you up from your house and drive you if you want." He offers. "I mean, it's a helluva walk to school." He says to her. "Hop in, cmon." He says with a smile in her direction. He notices her sleepless eyes but he decides not to mention it for now.

Salene glances over as she hears a voice, surprised to recognize Kev. "Hey." She glances back towards her house, hesitating a moment, but she walks over to his car and opens the door, sliding in. "Thank you." She says, wincing a little as she sits. "It does tend to be a bit of a walk, but I'm used to it." She glances over at him, glad to see he looks no worse for the wear. It was just her. Good.

He starts to drive, noticing how she seemed to be in pain. "Are you okay?" He asks while they stop at a red light, looking over at her. "You look in pain.. And did you even sleep? What happened?" He asks before starting to drive again, hoping she would talk while he drives them both to school for the day.

His concern almost hurt to hear. She wasn't used to it, and she didn't entirely know how to handle it. No one had cared for her since her mom passed away. She just glanced out the window, her stomach knotting. "I'm fine. It's nothing you need to worry about." She said, knowing that there was nothing he could do anyways.

"Seriously Salene, I'm worried because you don't deserve that kind of treatment." He says to her while they pull into the parking lot. He exits the car. "I'm just afraid you're gonna break down, yknow?" He says to her. "Listen.. I'll see you in first period, keep the faith." He says while walking inside of the school building, walking into the first period class.

She silently listened to his words, unsure how to feel. She'd been numb for years, feeling nothing except the hate and abuse from her father. That was what she was used to. This... This compassion was hurting her. Or was it the compassion that allowed her to feel the hurt? She ran a hand through her hair, not even really feeling the pain from the cut, and got out of the car. Then she silently followed him to their first period class.

Kev sits down at his desk, leaning back in his chair as he waits for the class to start. Once it does he silently listens, deciding that if Salene wanted to talk to him then she would do so, though he doubts she will considering she seems to have a lot of social anxiety. He finally turns to her. "You wanna come by my place today?" He asks. "I have movies and stuff if you wanna watch some with me." He offers.

It felt strange sitting next to Kev without talking to him. So when he spoke, she didn't hesitate to look at him, all but waiting to hear his voice. When he asked her over, a part of her jumped up and said yes! Yes I do! But the rest of her curled into a ball. Did she really want another beating? She looked down at her desk, tucking her hair back behind her ear. "I shouldn't." she whispered.

"Saleeeeene!" He says to her. "You should." He says to her. "Cmon, I have horror movies and really geeky sci fi movies and stuff like that." He says to her. "And if you want you can stay over.. Your dad doesnt know where I live." He says to her quietly. "We still have a guest room for you, please consider it." He says to her.

She shook her head vehemently. "I'll come over but I won't stay." one day she would have to return to her father and the beating she would get wasn't worth it. Not to mention the last time she had taken refuge somewhere, it turned into another type of hell." I'll want to be back before five. That's two hours. One movie "she said, looking up at him

"At least consider staying over, okay?" He asks before nodding. "One movie then, I can't wait." He says with a smile before turning back to the board, the teacher doesn't seem to care that half the class is talking while he is talking. Soon enough the bell is ringing and he is standing. "What if we ditched school, right now." He says to Salene.

Salene just gave a noncommittal nod, giving him a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. Then they were silent for a bit, her mind wandering as the teacher droned on. When the bell rang, she stood, but didn't expect his suggestion. Her eyes widened, briefly glancing at the teacher in case he heard. "what? Now? It's the second day of school!" she whispered at him.

Kev nods. "Cmon, it's not like you'll miss anything." He says to her. He stands up and looks at her. "So what do you say? We'll have more time to watch more movies." He says to her. "Let's go." He says while walking out of the room, heading down the hallway towards the student parking lot, hoping Salene would follow.

She was borderline speechless. Here they were, second day of school, and he wanted to skip it. She'd never skipped school before. He didn't give her much of a chance to think about it, though, before he was heading out. And for some reason she could not understand, and followed him, peeking over her shoulder as though afraid they were being watched. "do you do this often?" she whispered at him.

He looks back at her as he opens the door for her to get into his car before walking around to the driver side and getting into his car. He looks over at her. "Sometimes I do it, the school doesn't even call if you get marked absent after home room." He says with a laugh. He starts driving out of the lot. "So what movie would you want to watch?" He asks with the raise of his eyebrows.

It was still strange for her to get into someone else's car, but after a moment of hesitation, she got in. Settled in with her bookbag at her feet, she looked at him. "I... I don't know what I want to watch. I don't have many opportunities to watch movies." she added with a blush, for some reason embarrassed to admit it. "whatever you want to watch is good."

He looks at her and laughs. "I'll make sure to pick out a good movie, then." He says with a smile before looking back at the road. Soon enough they are pulling into his driveway. He opens the door and gets out, looking at her and expecting her to do the same. He approaches the front door, opening it and looking over his shoulder at her. "Mi casa es tu casa and all that." He says. "Go ahead and sit on the couch, I'll grab a movie." He says while motioning towards the couch.

She gave a small smile at his laugh. She was trying not to think about skipping school. Feeling nervous about spending time in his house, she slowly got out of his car, grabbing her bag and looking around. Biting her lip, she followed him to his front door, hesitating in the doorway before pushing herself through. He seemed so nice, surely be wouldn't do anything... Making her way over to the couch, her eyes flitted around the room, taking in everything as she sat at one end of the couch, putting her bookbag on the floor in front of her. She pulled her legs up onto the couch with her, wrapping her arms around her knees, practically pulling herself into a ball.

Kev goes through his collection of movies, picking out a horror movie. He walks back into the living room, shutting the curtains before putting the movie in, the room is dark now. He sits down next to her, looking at her as it starts. "Hey, relax, it's me." He says while leaning back, watching the movie as it starts.

She watched as he came back into the room, turning her gaze to look at him. When he darkened the room, she fought to keep herself from feeling nervous. She was warm, but she refused to take off her jacket and display her bruises. This time though, she worried more over the fact that he wouldn't like it, than the fact that she didn't want to show them. When he told her to relax, she glanced at herself, realizing she was curled up pretty tightly. "sorry" she murmured, stretching out her legs to the floor. She kept her arms crossed, but they were crossed loosely just around her stomach. Then she fought to focus on the movie

"I hope you like horror movies." He says with a laugh. "I personally hate them, they keep me up all night." He admits. "Is it weird that I'm afraid of the dark?" He asks her. A jump scare in the movie makes him jump, laughing as he looks at her. "Take your jacket off, stay awhile." He says with a smile, he is trying to be genuine.

She almost smiled when he laughed.. "if you hate them, why do you watch them? And no, that's not weird." she responded to him. She jumped every time something popped out at them, actually letting out a tiny laugh when he did. She was enjoying herself. When he told her to take off her jacket, site hesitated. But the lights were off, so she pulled it off, having relaxed with the movie.

Back
Top Bottom