Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Absin's Music Reccomendation Thread

Absinthresher

Banned
Banished
So, mild disclaimer. I generally have no fucking idea what I'm talking about when it comes to music, so most of what I'm gonna say here is generally just personal stuff I like about music. I barely even recognize genre, because most music sounds different to me in a way that I can't categorize it in any specific way.

The most technical word that I'll probably use is "Up tempo" or "Down tempo" so don't expect anything genius level here.

So, basic format I'll go with is this:

Band/Artist Name:
Recommended Album:
Recommended Song:

So, let's start with one of my all time favorite bands.

Celldweller
Recommended Album:
My personal favorite is Wish Upon a Black Star, both for the artwork on the varies associated albums, and also for the music itself.

I'd say the genre of this album is eletronic rock, mostly because it has guitars and eletronic stuff so yeah. I've written some short stories to these songs that I think I abandoned a while ago. Might still have them somewhere.
Reccomended Songs:
Blackstar, which makes a great song to play Warframe to . Very quick beat, very up tempo, and it does help tell the story of the album.

Good L_ck, Yo_'re F_cked, mostly because there's an awesome joke in the song,a dn for the same reason as Blackstar.

Purified, End of an Empire, Precious One, Just like you, Uncrowned, 06-06-06.

I'm particularly fond Birthright (Birthwrong Remix) too, but I couldn't tell you why.

The Protomen

Recommended albums: All of them!
Recommended songs: All of them!

I might have to change the format of these because I just thought of a better way to do it.

Anyways, I'm not a huge fan of classic rock, or any rock before the 90s really. I couldn't tell you WHY this is, but I suspect it has something to do with "Black Sheep Syndrome" and the fact that most of my family likes it. There's also that I just... can't stand that sound of it. I dunno.

Now, what would it take for me to enjoy classic rock? The answer to that is the Protomen. If you have no idea what the hell a Protoman is, you probably haven't realized that this is a Megaman tribute band, though calling it that is an oversimplification and I'd rather not spoil the surprise.

Now, the first album, titled appropriately "Act I" is, I'd say, is punk rock. I'm bad with genres, so I have nothing to really compare it to, so I'll leave it there.

Act II, along with "The Cover Up EP" are both styled after 80s music, especially since The Cover Up is, well, a cover album.

Since I don't want to spoil the story of the first two albums, I will talk about the Cover Up only because A) I can without spoiling the surprise and B) It's actually a fairly interesting idea.

The Cover Up is a movie soundtrack for a movie that doesn't exist in our world. It's a soundtrack for a movie within the Protomen's story universe, and is fairly appropriate given the dystopian themes of Act I and II. It features a number of popular songs from the 80s (I think the 80s. I'm not looking this up >_>;) such as Iron Maiden's "The Trooper", Kenny Loggin's "Danger Zone", and Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight". The album tells its own story, giving a fairly brief but telling overview of what happens in this supposed "Movie".

And as I said, all of these songs are covered by the Protomen.

So, I definitely recommend this, and if you ever do get to listening to this, I'll give some advice.

You can either start with Act I and go from there, or you can start from Act II and go from there. I'd start with Act I, but I'm also the guy who can't listen to Year Zero unless I start at the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom