Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Running the West (Discontinued)

"Of course Sheriff Quinton. I understand you needing the man-power, but Cold Stone is more populated than even here. I can't leave those people to fend for themselves. On top of Erron, who hasn't really caused much noise as of late, there are other bandits and gangs who want to hurt the good people there. I am not the Sheriff of Cold Stone. But I was his most trusted deputy at the time of his death. I've assumed the role, but our Governor is a brave and bold fellow. He is controlling the entire town right now, and likely a target for Black, unless he's been bought already." She looked at Billy and nudged him with her elbow. "Mr. Cade here is quite the charming Silver-Tongued Devil. He truly cares for this town and it's people. I couldn't say no to him, but he's young. I'm a little surprised you had such a young man in your service, let alone have him travel to Cold Stone."

Billy chuckled, "Only a couple of years younger than you, Miss Gemini. You're a young one too."

"Perhaps. But we're the ones out here fighting." Her horse began to walk towards the town. "We've done research on Erron Black, but we've dug up nothing. I'm not sure if that's his name or alias, but records show nothing. The last time anyone named Erron with an E, compared to the similar sounding Aaron, with double A's, was hundreds of years ago. Apparently, based on some interrogations of captured brotherhood members, he doesn't seem to eat, or use the washroom. He does sleep though. About an hour or two a night."

Billy sighed, "He sounds like a devil. Did he make a pact with a demon or something?"

"I wouldn't say so... but it is possible, if you believe in that kind of thing. It's likely he was trained very far away. It's also likely that's he's simply skilled beyond what we can grasp... and he craps and eats every day, just rumors spread by his men to strike fear. I'm curious Sheriff... Do you intend to deal with him? It may be beneficial, but trusting a man who can't show you his face is a bit risky."

Jack nods. "That was what I was saying, make sure your town is safe." He says while tipping his hat forward. "So a temporary sheriff, then? You've gained my respect so that's enough for me to say you're a Sheriff." He explains. "It's good you have a competent governor.. Honestly I don't think I could say the same about the governor here." He says with a chuckle. Jack looks to Billy and gives him a nod. "I'm glad that Billy could get y'all here, I knew from the start he was loyal and now I know for a fact.. I don't know how old he is though, how old are you Mr. Cade?" He asks with the raise of his eyebrows.

The Sheriff rubs the back of his head and sighs softly. "Erron Black is an elusive bastard, I don't know if we need to know when he eats and pisses but at least having some intelligence of his whereabouts would be really useful." He shakes his head. "If you could keep researching, I'd appreciate it, Sheriff."

"I wouldn't be surprised if he was Satan himself." He says. "The bastard seems like he can't be killed and he has all of these people willing to die for him." He says.

Jack shakes his head. "I don't think so.. I honestly just need to convince our governor not to deal with him, the moment he hears that Mr. Black wants to be peaceful with us he'll be jumping up and down to sign that contract." He says. "Which is why I need your help, Sheriff Gemini, we gotta see if we can get the governor on our side." He explains.

Billy smirks and scratches his cheek, "I'm nineteen years old, Sheriff. But, I can carry my own weight around here. Miss Gemini here, is but four years older than me. So she's still a young one too."

Gemini looked at him, "Don't tell people, especially men, my age, you fool." She them smiled to play it off as a joke, but he really shouldn't be telling people a woman's age. That information could cost him his life. "We will set things up with your governor then. I'll see if perhaps I can't pour some Cold Stone courage into his yellow belly. If we have to find out if Erron Black bleeds, we will... I will back you up in whatever decision you make, so long as you don't allow Erron to continue running free."

Jack nods to both of them. "Yeah, best watch yourself with that one, Billy." He says with a chuckle. He listens to Gemini while she speaks and gives her another nod. "Well, if you'll e cause us Billy, Miss Gemini and I have to go convince our governor to sway to a particular side of this conflict that we might be inclined to agree with." He says, not trying to make a decision immediately.. Or maybe not let the two men Erron Black had left hear what he had to say about the matter.

"The mayors office is right over there, we should get moving." Jack says as he points out the building that hosted the Governor's office,

((Sorry about the near month long wait. I should have at least messaged you. If you wish to drop this rp, I completely understand. Just been out of it lately.))

Gemini nodded, 'Works for me." She trotted slowly with Jack and Billy at her side, Billy Cade then distancing himself when Jack asked him to excuse them. He decided to look for Lance, especially since he had seen him with a long haired, blonde vixen.

Gemini got off her horse and led it into the town stables. Upon giving the stable master some coin, she turned and walked with Jack to the governor's office. As expected, one of the nicer buildings in Whitewater.

The governor has his cronies, a couple of acting hard-asses protecting his office inside and out. They watched Jack enter with the red head and didn't say anything, since he was the sheriff. Where were they when Erron Black rolled into town? Probably hiding and staining their drawers in fear that Erron would kill them all.

When they entered, all they saw were pictures of him, tons of them. What a conceited man.

"Well, he certainly celebrates himself, doesn't he?" She removed her hat to show respect. She had a long mess of red hair on that head of hers, for now it was tied into a big pony tail, it was hard to believe hair that red could be her natural color, but it's likely that it was.

The governor came down with four more of his false guardians with him. "Sheriff... you're alive. I mean... you're back. That's good. Has Erron Black been dealt with? How many people did we lose?"

(( Honestly I didn't mind the wait, thanks for responding! ))

Jack walks past the guards, wishing he could shake his head at them though it would be considered rude for a man like him to be looking down upon people in a time of.. Crisis he supposed it could be called, after all Jack was outnumbered here, and once Erron Black realized that he didn't want to negotiate Erron would stop at nothing to have his head.

"Yeah.. He's an interesting fellow.. Part of the reason I need you here with me, Sheriff." He says with a laugh, now actually shaking his head at all of the pictures on the walls, thinking to himself about how much of a pansy the governor was to glorify himself while shaking in his boots about the small things in life.

His hand reaches to his hat and takes it off of his head, just to show the slightest bit of respect for the governor's position as the man himself approaches.

"Yeah, I'm alive Mr. Governor.. We didn't lose anybody, in fact Erron Black was the only party with casualties, he executed 'Sheriff' Justine from the other town over, she apparently betrayed us, but I don't really care about that, she's being buried what's done is done and all that." He says/

"But that's not why I'm here, Erron Black has made it very clear to us that we either bow down and kiss his fleet in slavery or we fight, and I'm asking you to attempt to round up the State Militia, we might have a chance if we can get some Federal Reserves here." He explains.

"Also, Sheriff Gemini here has kindly offered her cavalry as reinforcement, and with this combined force we really have a fighting chance." He says firmly. "So Mr. Governor, I move that you make a speech officially declaring war on the criminal Erron Black, it's time for his reign to end." He says.

Gemini nodded her head, "Mr. Governor. Nice to meet you."

Bradley looked at her from head to toe, the woman being quite the looker, he acted tough and in charge. "The pleasure is mine, young Sheriff. You're from Cold Stone I take it?"

"Yes sir. Here to aid with the apprehension, or slaying of one Erron Black and his band of highly organized, weaponized and trained men."

Bradley shivered as she described how good Erron's men were. He dusted Jack off several times throughout. "It's not that easy getting support like that Mr. Sheriff. That is precisely why you and your lawmen are here."

Gemini shook her head, "Even with that, we don't have the numbers. Black was bold enough to come here and try to negotiate with your sheriff. There are good and bad sides to it, but I wouldn't trust a snake, lest it sticks its poison fangs right in your jugular."

"Are you sure there isn't some way to work things out with him? Clearly he sees us as a threat, and would like to form a partnership. Battling him would mean massive casualties." He paused, "Justine?" He frowned, "The Sheriff from Maribelle was in Erron Black's pocket?" He started to panic mildly, "How is he so resourceful? Who is backing this man up?"

"I don't know yet, sir. He may be working off his own agenda, but it's unlikely. Again, he had the opportunity to kill us, or at least shatter the ranks we do have. He chose to talk to Mr. Quinton here."

The Governor sighed, "Would you trust a man who killed your predecessor? A man who hides behind a face mask and is said to not eat or sleep?"

Jack feels himself let out a sigh of relief, at least the Governor was being slightly reasonable and level headed.

"I doubt that the Guard have anything else to do.. The Homestead Act applies to protection from Natives and Bandits, you could probably pull that card if you want." He says. "The fact remains that there's only so much training I can give those gentlemen, we don't exactly have three months like the Federal Reserve has received." He says, referencing the training the military personnel had to go through.

His head turns to Gemini as she speaks, she was very articulated and well spoken, he was glad he brought her along for this daunting task, as she seemed to be able to make the governor listen. "He did try to negotiate, ideally he wanted us to give him resources and fund his small army, we'd be like a Tribuny, every time he comes into town he would take what he pleases without hurting anybody and then leave, this town would enter a very poor state, if it's not already like that from the lootings.." He says with a sigh.

"I agree Mr. Governor, a battle with Erron Black would not be a light loss." Jack says. "In fact, we have a word for that kind of battle.. Pyrrhic, whether a victory or loss would be up to me I suppose." He says. "We're outnumbered and outgunned, Mr. Governor." He says. "There is no negotiating with this man, he killed the Sheriff he had in his pocket, that sealed the coffin for me, there's not a doubt in my mind that he would do the same to you or anybody in this town if he got pissed off enough." He says. "We'd be like his punching bag."

Jack runs a hand through his hair, his eyes flicking down to the floor as he thinks for a moment. "No Mr. Governor, I would not trust a man like that.. When I went up there to talk to him I had Lance and my other deputies take up rooftop positions with their weapons aimed in case something went wrong." He explains. "And when things began to heat up Ms. Gemini here rode in with the Cavalry and disputed any thought of a battle." He says. "Thank God for Billy." He says with a chuckle.

"So, here's my thinking sir." He says. "In order to secure your protection and the protection of the people here and my officers, I would like to request more funding to the Department." He says. "We need money for better weapons and maybe even a trainer, my deputies don't really have the time to train the new recruits anymore." He explains. "You've seen what Lance, Ellie, and I have done alone against Black's men, if we can get our skills incorporated to our little Militia here we might just stand a fighting chance." He says. "So I come to you here, hat in hand asking you to please consider this, I know it's not exactly in your interests to drop more money into our department but it's for the good of the town that our men are properly outfitted and trained." He says, essentially pleading at this point, as the last time he asked he didn't receive the money he had asked for.

Bradley frowned at him. "You have the Blue Ribbon and Lance Preston in your employ and you ask for a trainer? I am afraid I can't do that. Perhaps Black really does need a partner. We could save our destruction if we negotiate with him."

Gemini put her hat back on. "If you're not willing to fight, stay here with your showmen. These grunts can't tackle the two assassins Black left in your town. Leave the fighting to me and the Sheriff. But we will not risk our necks for you, as you can't spot gold for your own protection." She turned, jabbing Jack's ribs with her elbow before walking towards the door.

"What do you mean assassins? Sheriff!? Be rid of those vandals this instant!"

Jack sighs and shakes his head. "One day I'll be able to tell you what I really think about your foolish gold saving, enjoy the rest of your career, Governor." He says while walking out with Gemini, recoiling slightly from the jab to his ribs.

"I'll be sure to tell them where you are!" He calls out to the Governor as he walks out of the town hall with Gemini.

"What was the jab for?" He asks as they leave, putting his hat back on with a sigh, obviously disheartened from the Governor's response to his proposal. "Now you know what I mean when I say he's stubborn.. He has all of the money to offer but the pig keeps it to himself, as if nobody else needs it." He says while running a hand through his hair.

Gemini shrugged, "Just a sign for us to leave. That man is not stubborn, he is simply just a coward. It's going to be up to us and our best folks to take care of this. Do you have any idea what you'd like to do? Are you going to try to strike a deal, or are we arresting him, hanging him? You have to be concrete with this.." She grabbed his shoulder and gave him a tight squeeze. Pushing him roughly. Apparently, she was just a physical girl and rather tough.

Jack nods to her as they walk, laughing as she gives him a shove. "We're on the same side!" He says with the shake of his head, thinking to himself about what they would do. "I'm gonna put his fucking head on a pike, Gemini." He says to her with a nod. "There's no negotiation that can be done with a criminal, and there's definitely no mercy to be given." He says. "God once said that you treat others as you want to be treated, if he loves robbing and killing so much, then I suppose we oughta rob and kill him." He says firmly, looking to her for a reaction. "It won't be an easy road, Sheriff, but neither was the establishment of these great United States." He explains. "Against all odds, good will always prevail."

Gemini sucked her teeth and nodded, "He is a criminal... a murderer... possibly a rapist... He deserves to face justice. He has never hurt me directly per se, but I know I was somewhere on his list of sheriffs he'd soon get to. Allow me into your headquarters?" She said, pushing the doors before he could even answer. "Where can I get a drink..."

Jack nods to her and chuckles as she makes her way into his office. "Sure, c'mon in." He says after a few moments. He walks inside and opens up a cabinet. "Whiskey?" He asks while waving the bottle at her, pouring her a glass before offering it to her. He then pours himself a glass and takes a drink, sighing at how warm it was but it was better than nothing. "Once again Sheriff, I really appreciate your help." He says with a smile, raising his glass to her before taking another drink.

She took a seat in any random place and put her sword down, leaning it against the wall. She removed her hat and let it fall back, the tied straps under it holding it close. "Whiskey is fine." She sat down roughly, and took the small serving. "Thanks." She quickly took a swig and let the hard flavor torture her. Then came the wave of ease and relaxation. "The help is for both towns. We have to take care of each other or we'll end up dead and alone." She tapped her glass to his when he raised it and finished her lukewarm drink. She put the glass down and leaned back. "Just how are we going to do this..."

Jack leans against the wall and drinks the whole of his glass before thinking to himself about her words. "You do bring up a good point.. I guess that's why we all figured branching out would be a good idea." He says with a shrug. "I'm just glad that Billy was up to the task, we had gotten a little worried about him." He admits, feeling a little bad for sending the man out by himself. "Right.. I did kinda have a plan, though not many people are going to like it." He warns her while setting his glass down, offering her the bottle of whiskey as he had had his fill.

"I was thinking we would sorta act like a guerilla force, like the French and Indian war.. We're not going to survive toe to toe with Black, we gotta act smart and hit him every time he's not looking, then duck in cover every time he is, it might result in him tearing through towns.. But the fact remains that if we try to take him head on with no Federal Reserve force? Then we're dead meat." He explains. "And since Governor Bradley is such a kind and patient man, there won't be a Federal Reserve for us.. I swear, sometimes it's like that man is working right out of Black's pocket.." He says with a sigh, running his hand under his hat.

Gemini took the bottle and poured herself just a bit more. "That's not a bad idea at all. Scout out some strongholds, espionage, sabotage, arrest or eliminate his most trusted men. It would be a whole operation. If we could get someone to go sheepskin... under a cover so to speak, to get into Black's ranks and feed us information from the inside..." She took a long sip, "Gotta make sure they ain't too young or too pretty. Black's got a way with people. Somehow he earns their trust." She finished her second serving and began to pour a third, noting that the bottle was near empty at this point, so she poured out the rest too. "It wouldn't be impossible for Bradley to be under Black's influence. If that's true, you need a new governor."

Jack nods to her words, glad that she agreed with him. "Yeah.. I'm not going to assign anybody to it, it'll have to be a volunteer program." He says while sitting down at the table. "Personally I think Lance would be a good pick, but I don't know if he wants to go and he's got something going on here." He explains. "So I'm going to call a meeting of our top guys and see who exactly wants to go, I'll inform them of the risks and then we can continue operations as planned." He says while leaning back in his chair. "Say, have you got any combat professionals or trainers in your detachment?" He asks. "We've got a whole lot of recruits.. The guys on the rooves earlier? Most of them can't tell a rifle from a shotgun." He says with a laugh. "We're doing our best to train'em, but professional help is always nice." Jack looks up at her with these words.

Gemini scoffed, "If you're talking about Lance Preston, you'd be sending him to his death. He's got a reputation around the towns as a good shot and generally honorable man... Save for his days as a hit man and later a bounty hunter. Black already saw him with your lot I imagine. No, it has to be a man with no name." She ran her fingers through her thick red hair, undoing her tail and shaking her head to loosen her long red locks. She looked more like a woman now than ever before, her sweated, lightly salted hair unwound and decorated some of the skin on her face.

"Trainers? Cold Stone is lucky to see recruits."

We do have a fellow though. Hopefully he can teach your chosen how to teach, to home grow your own instructors."

Literally, and figuratively looking quite hot, Gemini began to open her shirt to simply gain a bit of ventilation upon her pearl colored, freckled chest.

"Maybe I had too much to drink. I'm feeling mighty parched."

Jack nods. "Then it'll have to be someone else." He says while thinking to himself. "Whatever, it's a matter for another time, I'll deal with it tomorrow." He says with a laugh, looking over at her now as she lets her hair loose, he couldn't help but stare, for some odd reason it seemed like every woman he encountered was a bombshell when it came to beauty, and of course Gemini was gorgeous.

He nods at her next words, nearly missing them from him zoning out while staring. "Good.. Good to hear." He says, recovering his words. "I'm military trained myself but I'm often too busy to sit around and train, a lot of shit goes on around here." He says with a chuckle, removing his hat and placing it on the hanger in the corner.

Once again he catches himself staring before managing to recuperate. "You need some water? There's probably something in the icebox." He offers her while walking over to the box, reaching inside to look, grabbing one of the canteens from inside and offering it to her, kicking the box closed once he was done.

"Thank you." She said, reaching over and eagerly gulping down it's cold contents. She noticed him watching her as she tilted her head back, swallowing every drop. With a sigh of satisfaction, Gemini brushed her forearm over her lips, giving Jack another look. She then closed the canteen and looked at him again, "What are you staring at?"

Jack blinks at her words before shaking his head, one of his hands reaching up to awkwardly rub the back of his head. "Sorry, I was just thinking, thousand yard stare and all that." He says quickly, trying to cover up the fact that he was staring at her. He takes the now empty canteen and kneels down by the cabinets, tucking it inside before standing and looking back over at her. "Maybe we ought to get to bed." He suggests. "Long day tomorrow, do you know where you want to spend the night?" He asks her.

Gemini gave him a smirk as if she knew he was fumbling with excuses, but she let it go, she was fairly certain that she was a decent looking woman, and if you give a man, any man, an inch of extra skin to look at, they'll twist and turn and stretch and pull to get to see that extra inch.

"This office is unlike any I've seen. It's the largest of the three towns, I can tell you that much. If you can manage to spare a bed I would be in your debt. Mr. Kenslay had it pretty good." She stood up just kept removing clothes. It was a hot, nasty day, no doubt, her gear had caused her discomfort. Removing her jacket revealed a white button up shirt which she had to undo the top few buttons for her chest to get ventilation. This of course meant cleavage. She knew it wasn't lady like, much less professional for a woman like herself, but she was too hot to care.

"Either way I may steal a bath from you." She knew he'd likely quietly watch the pseudo strip show, but at this point it was not important. "You married by any chance? I see no ring."

Jack raises his eyebrows at her smirk, seeming to catch the fact that she understood his fumbling for words just moments before, which makes him bite the inside of his cheek in a slight nervousness, not enough to show off as he didn't want to be caught looking weak or off guard, but still enough to display to himself at least that the woman in front of him genuinely made him nervous.

"I can most certainly spare a bed!" He says quickly, rubbing the back of his head once more, which appeared to be a nervous habit for the man. He couldn't help but look at her as she removed more of her clothing, understanding that the hot day was really the reason she was removing so much, but he couldn't help but feeling like she was teasing him. "Yeah, Kenslay had a good team too, I just hope we can avenge him." He says while leaning against the wall, watching her with wandering eyes, as if trying to mentally explore the small amounts of cleavage and skin she was exposing for his eyes.

Jack nods to her. "You have free reign to the office, Gemini.. And no, I'm not married, never have been." He says while slipping his hands behind his back. "You're quite the looker, I'm surprised you're not married." He says while looking down at her hand, not seeing a ring though she might have hidden it or might have been wearing it on a different hand.

Gemini didn't expect the compliment, her eyes widening slightly followed by a small smile. "Thank you Mr. Sheriff." She said respectfully, her cheeks a bit red, but it was hard to tell if it was blush or heat or the drinking that caused it. "I will take you up on that bedroom for sure. And... while I wasn't married, I did have someone." She looked away, raising an arm behind her head. "We were going to get engaged last year. After his sister was taken by bandits, something in him snapped. He found the men who raped and killed his sister and murdered them. When he returned home he felt unhappy with revenge and got very violent towards his family and me. He eventually got into a fight with his parents, resulting in him shooting his father in the chest. He managed to try to strangle me that night, I was lucky that his mother was nearby, she tried to pull him off, and ended getting her throat cut. This gave me a chance to grab my revolver, and I had no choice but to put one in his brain."

Gemini recalled everything all too well. "Hardest thing I ever did. He would have likely joined Black if he was still alive. A man driven crazy by pain."

Back
Top Bottom