Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Running the West (Discontinued)

Ryan nods to the man when he asks if he saw the red-headed lady, but the next couple of words are certainly a shocker. "Alright.. I'll do it." He says to the men. "Y'all stay right here so I know where to find you, alright?" He asks while walking towards the stables, knowing where her horse was being kept.. But did he really want to shoot the animal? The very idea of someone losing an animal so dear to them was heartbreaking.. But Gemini and the Sheriff themselves had given him the orders to infiltrate.. So he had to. As he approaches the stables he takes his revolver from his side, seeing the horse feeding, nobody tending to it as of now. He lets off a shot and watches as the horse's white coat is drenched in red, he runs off then, going straight back to Kudo and Diego. "Okay! It's done, can we go?" He asks, looking around nervously.

Diego laughed, "You're cold. Asshole." He ran over to take a peek, from a far he saw that the rare steed was dead. "Ooh, fuck man... you actually did it. Okay, we'll head out!" He said, grabbing his horse and Kudo doing the same. "Let's go kid." Diego galloped on his horse, quickly finding his way out of Whitewater, Kudo closely behind him.

Ryan nods, a cold feeling of dread and terribleness running through him, clenching at his heart.. He had done a terrible thing. But he could feel his adrenaline pumping, it allowed him to jump on to Kudo's horse and ride out of town with the two men, holding the back of the horse as they gallop off, hoping that the Sheriff and Gemini would forgive him for his actions.

Gemini heard the bang and thought at first that they were being raided or maybe people had gotten into a fight. Whitewater wasn't really all that violent, and the townspeople were fairly close. After the shot, some people started to panic, so she headed outside. Telling Jack that she's go out and see for herself what was going on. Upon exiting, she spotted Lance Preston up ahead, trying to clear a crowd.

"All of ya'll get yourselves back home! Nothing to see here, let's go!" He had a few lawmen with him, trying to ease up the riled up crowd. Gemini called out to him, trying to get through. "Preston! What's going on here..." Lance frowned and bit on his cigar, "Sorry Miss. We'll cover it up soon." Gemini looked at him with a confused expression before she turned towards the side, to spot her faithful mare, lifeless on the ground. Her heart suddenly hurt. Her knees shook and she couldn't help but falling onto them, her mare's blood soaking into the dirt beneath her. "Raida..." Her eyes teared, and immediately she started to cry. "Raida..." She leaned forward and buried her face in the mare's neck, crying loudly. She eventually started to rock, crying hysterically over her long time friend's sudden and violent death.

Lance could only continue to clear out the crowd as Ellie eventually joined them, covering her mouth when she say Gemini's horse.

Jack nods to Gemini and continues working on drinking his coffee, but the commotion didn't seem to be stopping so he stands, leaving his mug on the table before walking over to the stables, shoving his way through the crowd, and even getting a few people to leave the area, simply telling them that the lawmen of Whitewater would deal with the situation. He nods to Lance. "Thanks for helping keep these people clear of whatever the hell is going on." He says before clapping the man on the shoulder, he walks over to where Gemini sits and lays eyes upon her dead horse, the beautifully rare steed she had rode in on. He immediately runs over to her, crouching down next to her and wrapping her in his arms to hold her, trying to comfort her.

"Gemini I am so sorry about your horse." He whispers to her quietly, the other lawmen keep the crowds away from the dead horse. "We're gonna figure out what happened.. Those Kudo and Diego men must've figured they could wreak some havoc before they had to go.. Or worse, maybe some Dusters are around.." He says while running a hand under the lip of his hat. "Mister Preston! Send out a patrol, make sure there aren't any lackies hidin' around!" He calls to him before going back to holding Gemini close to him.

Gemini didn't even acknowledge his embrace, her eyes turning as red as her mare's blood. Lance heard Jack cry out and nodded. He managed to get a few people away before other lawmen came to cover the mare with blankets.

"She was one of a kind! And loyal!" Gemini cried, her throat drowned in tears and mucus. "Why would they kill an innocent and loving animal?" The tears simply kept strolling down. "I feel sick..." She cupped her stomach and started to turn. Ellie too came over to try and comfort her, a small muddy puddle where her tears were dropping. The red head started to growl, "I'm going to kill whoever's responsible for this!" Her voice got louder, "I'm going to kill whoever is responsible for this!!"

The crowd cleared out as she was starting to get horrifying.

Lance was getting ready to race out with a few guys and he heard the scream too.

"Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned. May God have mercy on the soul of the poor fuckers who enraged her."

He nodded at two more guys and reared his horse, "Let's go! And pay attention! This will be your patrol route starting tomorrow. You better learn it!"

Jack rubs her back as he watches her tears hitting the dirt, he turns to see a small crowd of the recruits. "You heard Lance, get a move on!" He yells, making them scatter so that they didn't witness Gemini in her current state. "We can have a funeral for your friend, Gemini." He says to her quietly while continuing to try to comfort her, though she seemed emotionless and unresponsive, only repeating those words.

"Must've been Kudo and Diego." He says with the shake of his head. "Bastards... We'll get'em Grmini, I'll help you." He says to her quietly, watching the corpse of her horse while he speaks, knowing that it had meant a lot to her.. Then again what long time friend didn't mean a lot to someone? At this point it was just him, Ellie, and Gemini in the stable with the dead horse, Jack felt awful, and he also felt like he really couldn't help her.

Gemini's eyes couldn't close without a small river pouring from them. "Please leave me." She said, trying to control her voice. "Please, both of you just leave me alone."

Ellie stood up and stared and Jack. She grabbed a lawman by his arm, "Get old man doc out here. I know he's no vet, but we need to know what kind of gun this came from..."

Gemini turned towards her, most of them did have unique weapons, it was something to go by.

Ellie let him go as he nodded, "where will you be?" He asked nervously. "I'm going to the armory...."

Jack gives her a nod, his eyes flicking to the ground as he stands, really feeling like he was unable to help her. He watches Ellie as she grabs a lawman and requests that he grabs the doctor, and he gives a nod of approval while crossing his arms.

"Do you still want us to go?" He asks Gemini quietly, looking down at her on the ground with his hand scratching the back of his neck, not sure how to go about the situation other than getting the doctor to come over.

Ellie kicked the door open and looked around the armory. "Greenhorn!" She started looking around frantically for Ryan. "He went too far... this is on Jack for putting some guy at the helm of an undercover job." She tried to remember which gun Ryan took, it was a revolver, but which one? She'd have to tell Jack that Ryan must now get a bounty on his head. She sighed and exited.

Diego rode ahead, Kudo riding with Ryan. These guys were really galloping, racing at fast speeds.

Diego laughed, "Can't believe you did it! Killing someone's horse is like killing their child or sibling. It's also a crime hahaha."

Kudo just rode on. "You used your own gun... Quinton will link it to you, and you'll be on his wanted list."

Gemini just raised her hand at Jack and waved him off. "Just give me a few minutes... I just need to pull myself together."

Jack nods to Gemini, giving her a pat on her shoulder. "I'll see you tonight." He says with her with a nod before standing and shuffling back to the office, wondering what Ellie had found in the armory.

Ryan looks to Diego and laughs loudly. "Hey, if I'm gonna be with Erron Black's rough riders I gotta be wanted, don't I?" He asks with a grin. "It don't bother me none, probably the easiest thing I've ever done." He says with a shrug.

"When do you think we'll arrive in Maribelle? I've never actually been outside of town." He admits to Kudo quietly.

"It will take us half a day. We'll stop to piss, eat and fuck, then we continue." Something about this young man seemed off. Kudo didn't trust him. "This is of course, if Sheriff Quinton doesn't send The Blue Ribbon or Lance Preston after you."

The old doctor came as Ellie and Lance joined to see the doctor work. Lance placed his hand on Gemini's shoulder and he and Ellie helped her rise up to her feet.

Doc got his gloves and turned around, "This will take some time. I am sorry for your loss, officer. I'll identify the bullet if I can find it."

Gemini nodded, "Thank you. Lance, are there other steeds available?"

"Don't tail 'em Gemini. We can't have you gunned down." She smiled at him. "I just want to meet my new horse." Lance chewed on his cigar, "Fine. Go speak to the sheriff. There are wild horses out there too. Could catch one of your own... if you can break em in." She smiled again, "I'll speak to him." She nodded thankfully at them and made her way into the office.

Ryan raises his eyebrows. "So you'll just ditch me if they send two people after me?" He asks with a laugh, leaning back on the horse and shaking his head. "That would be unfortunate, wouldn't it?" He says while shaking his head. "I'll just stay quiet while we ride." He says with a shrug before looking back out into the desert.

Jack hears her come in and he turns, spotting her. "Hey, you need something?" He asks while leaning against the wall of the office, watching her with concerned eyes as he was still unsure if she was feeling okay or not. "I'm real sorry about what happened, Gemini." He says while approaching her, looking into her eyes like he had the night before.

"Lance said that you I would be able to get a new horse from you? I'd be willing to ride a Murgese, female if available. I don't know if your stable master has one, they aren't exceedingly rare, but they may be hard to find around here. They are black. Completely black." She tried to smile at him. "I will rebound from this. Don't worry."

"Damn fucking right. I'd stick a knife in your face to keep heat like that off my back." He grinned, but it seemed like he was serious. Kudo shrugged, "I'd gun you down for killing an innocent animal."

"I'm keeping things under control. There is one opposing town, but the sheriff there may be more cooperative than Kenslay. Getting tired of gunning stupid kids down, but if you ask it and pay it, you know I'll get it done. Two of my slightly intelligent guys are on their way back... hopefully I don't have to destroy that town. There's kids there... and pretty girls. Your plan to run the west is almost complete. Then I'll be on my way..." Erron turned a woman with short hair a cowboy hat grinned widely at him. "Come on you crazy, sexy murderer. Back to Maribelle...". He turned to the shadow behind him, tipping his hat. "Boss..."

Jack nods to her. "Of course you can get a new horse from us, not even a question." He says with a smile. "C'mon, we'll check the stables and see if they have the horse you're looking for, if not we can go out and look for one if you'd like." He says while walking towards the door, motioning for her to follow him so that they could go to the stables together. "I hope you rebound, not only do we need you as a town but I'm going to miss the old Gemini if you don't." He says with a laugh, rubbing the back of his head as he tries to make the situation lighter.

Ryan shakes his head while leaning back, looking around them. "Good to know I picked the right side." He muses. "You're the ones that wanted me to do it, and despite the fact that I gunned down the animal you still don't seem to trust me." He says while looking to Kudo. "Even if I was untrustworthy I'm roped in with y'all now that I probably have a bounty on my head, I ain't going back there anytime soon." He says.

"So if we told you to shoot some random old lady you would have done it?" They both laughed, "Trust. We barely trust each other and we are supposed to trust some white and dainty little rebel boy that magically popped up on the last day of our stay in Whitewater?" Diego laughed "Mr. Black is great at seeing through bullshit. I hope you ain't riding to your death, gringo." They continued to ride, Maribelle still quite a distance away.

Gemini nodded, "I will. This will shake off me. Did you already send that man off to infiltrate Black's Brotherhood?" She'd try to think of anything else. The stable master was a little shaken as Gemini's horse was magically murdered in his care. He couldn't help but feel sorry when he saw her. "Miss Gemini, I am so..." "It isn't your fault stablemaster..." she interrupted. "I will look around for a new one if that's okay with you..." The stablemaster nodded, "Of course. They finally cleaned up so the stable looks normal again. All of the horses are shaken. Your steed was liked by the others...". Gemini nodded, "I'm sure she was..."

"Anything to get out of that shithole." He says seriously, watching them. "You ain't exactly white knights yourselves, Mr. Black will see what just about anybody will see, I fucked over my town so that I could live and I ain't ashamed in admitting that, they have a death wish and I didn't want to be a part of it." He simply says before going back to silence, looking back over at the desert as they ride. His hands were shaking slightly, he couldn't tell if it was in rage, anger, or fear.. Just the last words 'riding to your death' stuck in his mind as they rode to Maribelle.

Jack nods to Gemini as they walk. "Yeah, he's already gone." He says. "You don't think..?" He didn't even want to think that their man had done this, and for what reason, if he had? He walks into the stable with her and watches the little conversation before continuing inside, looking about the stable for the horse that Gemini had asked for, though he wasn't exactly an expert he had a generalized idea of what she wanted.

Gemini shook her head, "I don't think that man has a problem with me, or a reason to attack my horse out of so many." She now had the idea in the back of her mind though, wondering if the man was teisted, or forced to do so. "Look, you do have one..." She smiled, seeing a gorgeous black steed. The stablemaster walked her over to the horse and was happy to introduce them. "This is my only Murgese. Her name is Velvet." Gemini nodded, "Good name." She petted the horse gently. "Velvet..." She leaned over and checked under the horse, everything seemed healthy, legs looked strong. "Who broke her in?" "I did, ma'am..." Gemini nodded and grabbed a carrot from a wooden bucket nearby. "How much for this one?" She petted Velvet as she fed her the carrot, the mare was not shy about snatching the tasty snack right from her fingers.

"I won't charge you any... your beautiful horse is gone because of me. Please take Velvet as my hope at recompense. Would you like a saddle too?" Gemini closed her eyes in thanks. "No sir... I still have mine. No offense to you sir, the saddles in Cold Stone are the best in the west."

The stablemaster laughed, "Well ill have to go see them myself one day. Sorry again."

She looked at Jack and seemed to be pulling herself together. "Quick ride?"

"I don't think so either... We'll prod when he actually reports back to us." He assures her.

Jack walks into the stable with Gemini and tips his hat to the stable master, nodding to the man as he points out the exact horse that Gemini had requested, relief flows through his body when she finds the horse acceptable. He digs around in his pocket and gives the stable master a few coins, slapping him on the shoulder. "It ain't for the horse, partner, we all need coin in this day." He says with a nod before walking over to Gemini and watching her as she turns to face him.

"A ride sounds good." He says with a smile before walking over to retrieve her personal saddle, which was hanging on the wall. He saddles up the horse and jumps on the back, leaving Gemini room in the front so that she could have control of her new horse. "Where're we off to, Sheriff?" He asks her with the raise of his eyebrows, glad to see she was beginning to recover already.

"Just for a ride." She said calmly, her horse starting to trot after a light pull of the reigns. The black mare worked herself into a steady gallop as the two left the town of Whitewater altogether. "I need to clear my head of all this. I am glad you are with me. Hopefully this isn't for nothing. I know I can't pull you from your office for too long... we could get attacked at any time now that you turned him down. But I think you'll like being where I am. I hope so anyway."

When she gets on to the horse he wraps his arms around her, his hands connecting over her stomach so that he could remain on top of the horse as they ride. "I know what you mean." He admits. "I haven't had a day off since I arrived in Whitewater.. Honestly it was only just about a week ago but it feels like years." He says with a laugh. "We'll be alright, both you and I are great shots and it'll just add to our side of the kill count." He says.

"You're feeling awfully violent ain't you?" She said with a concerned smile, although he probably couldn't see it. "I know this little spot. I would go there when I was off duty in Cold Stone. I think my new friend Velvet here will enjoy it too."

The ride was a fair trek, taking up quite a bit of time before she finally rode out into where the earth had gone from dry to moist, a good sized body of water in this fairly unknown place. The grass was green. "Here we are... I like to come by the water here and relax." She dismounted Velvet and brought her by some grassy waters, the thirsty mare quickly starting to drink and graze.

"It's peaceful out here." Birds could be heard, the wind was cool, blowing Gemini's hair to the side. "This isn't part of Whitewater, Cold Stone or Maribelle. This is free land, but I'm sure someone will fight over it soon." Wildlife could be seen gathering by the water. A couple of bucks scattered at the sight of Gemini's red locks.

Gemini sat down on a dry patch of grass by a large tree. She pulled a tin flask from her jacket and set her hat down beside her. "Thirsty? It's whiskey."

Jack shakes his head. "Naw, just confident." He says with a grin while they ride, not noticing the concern that she had on her face as he was too busy looking around them at their surroundings, never having gone this direction or distance from Whitewater.

When they arrive he dismounts with her, watching as her horse goes to drink the water. He admires the surroundings of this place Gemini had brought him to and he nods. "I hope nobody fights for this place.. It seems nice." He says while walking over to her and sitting down next to her.

His eyes fix on to the rippling water before looking back to Gemini, seeing her flask and hearing her words. "Sure I'll take some." He says with a smile before taking a good drink of the whiskey, offering it back to her. "Thanks." He says. He bites the inside of his cheek as he watches her, they were close but he felt a little far away from her now that she had lost something so dear to her.

"I wish we had more time to do this." He admits. "Everyday, I mean." Jack explains, watching her.

Gemini took the flask and nodded in thanks. "Hopefully." She took a drink as well, her face pained lightly by the natural taste. "Are you asking something of me sheriff? I'm not looking for spontaneous adventures. I like you, sheriff. But if you just want to tumble with me half a dozen times then disappear, I fear you've barked up the wrong tree."

Jack shakes his head. "I'm not asking you of anything, I know what you want and I want to give that to you." He says. "I'm not looking for a few tumbles and then disappearing. Trust me." He says. "All that I'm saying is that with all this craziness I dunno if we'll have time to lead.. Well, a normal relationship I guess." He explains. "We'll have to put more time towards our jobs than each other."

Back
Top Bottom