Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Only Takes One Night-- {TooManyThoughts & guitarfan2810}

Charlie took a few bites before smiling at her. "Then I will be there." Work wouldn't be a problem so he could easily go to her appointment. He could hear the baby himself and also go for support for her.

As he kept eating she brought up the two of them having a lot to discuss and it was true. He thought about her question. It was a legit worry and concern for him. "Well in all honesty, Laura isn't good for me. She is rude and self centered. High maintenance and I thought I could deal with it my entire life. I get so annoyed with her. I don't think I can. I only proposed cause she pressured me to. I had to or she would have broken up with me. And at the time, I didn't want that. I didn't want the backlash of it." He didn't know why he felt the need to explain himself but he did.

His eyes looked at her hand. "My heart is telling me to just jump into this. But Emily I can't. I owe it to our child not to. I want to take the time to do this all right. I love spending time with you and being with you and I want to do more of that. I want to talk to Laura and her and I and tell her this wedding, can't happen. And then I want to spend time with you and see where we can take this." He wasn't sure if that was answer she wanted but it was the truth.

Emily ate some more while he explained himself and answered her question. When he looked down at her hand, she pulled her hand back from his and instead placed it in her lap.

She was still smiling though, because she understood what he said and she knew that it was the right way to approach things.

When he was done, she nodded softly and sipped from her orange juice. "I think that this is the right way to do this. Just know that you have my support, no matter what. I know it will be hard to talk to Laura and break up with her." She ate some more but before she could say anything, there was a knock on the door.

Emily frowned and shrugged, then got up. "Sorry, I'm not expecting anyone." She walked over to the door and opened it, just to have her blood freeze in her veins.

"Laura?" she asked slowly, trying to sound normal.

"Emily? What are you doing here?" Laura asked confused and looked at her phone screen.

"I live here Laura....what can I do for you?" Emily held the door slightly closed so that Laura couldn't see inside.

"I traced Charles' phone to this address...." Laura narrowed her eyes at Emily.

He could tell she sort of didn't like the idea or it hurt her a bit. He didn't mean to do that. If anything it was what he was trying to prevent from happening. His eyes looked into hers a moment before he heard the knock. In the back of his head, he had a feeling who it was.

His eyes closed a second and shook his head when he heard Emily say Laura's name. But then he realized she didn't know where Emily lived. He was disgusted with her. He got up and walked over to the door.

"You traced my phone? Don't trust me much?" His eyes narrowed at her. "Your friend was sick last night so I thought I'd bring her and Brad food on the way home from Dean's. But Brad had to go to work so she offered for me to stay and eat." It was a bit of a lie but not entirely. But maybe he could use it to get out of his situation a little bit.

"I'm sick of you being so controlling and not trusting me. I can't believe you traced my phone. Who the hell does that?" He shook his head. "I'm glad your feeling better Emily." He shook his head and looked at Laura. "We need to talk when you get home. But why don't you finish my breakfast, I really don't feel like eating. I'm just going to go home."

Emily stood back, still half hidden behind the door so Laura wouldn't see that she was pregnant. She didn't like that Charlie was lying to Laura, at least half lying, but she knew that now wasn't the time to be completely honest. For all their sakes.

"Of course I don't trust you! Look at you Charles! You are at another woman's apartment having breakfast when you should be with me!" Laura screeched and moved in to hit Charlie's chest with her flat hand.

Emily flinched slightly and looked between the two of them. She was the cause of this, she should have never shown up at that party.

"We are not talking when we get home! We are talking right now!" Laura insisted and then glared at Emily. "Without her! Why are you still staring at us?" She hissed and Emily flinched back.

"Laura...calm down" she said calmly and lifted a hand but was only met with another deathly glare.

"I don't want you on my wedding, Emily." Laura snapped and lifted her head a little bit higher. "Come Charles. We are going to talk about this in the car!"

"You were asleep..." He spoke calmly and shook his head as she kept going on. His eyes looked down at her hand.

"Leave her be...we are in HER house..." Charlie sighed and let out a breath. He looked at Emily. "I'm sorry." He looked at Laura, "Fine you want to talk...in the car...fine. You probably will regret that decision." He moved past her and went out to her car and got in waiting for Laura to get in.

Once she did he looked at her. "You are a little messed up to track me on my phone. Laura...." He shook his head. "There was a day that I loved you. A day I would do anything to make you happy. Then the more I tried to do that, the harder it was and I found out it was nearly impossible. Nothing I ever do is good enough for you. Or right in your eyes. If I brought you breakfast you would have slammed it cause it wasn't from the country club. And if I got it from the country club the eggs would have not been done enough or the waffle would have been too chewy. Or the juice had too much pulp. It would never just be something nice I did for you. So...I don't care anymore. Why bother? Why try? I can't live like this for the rest of my life...I can't. I won't."

After a few more deathly glares were shot into Emily's direction, Laura followed Charlie into the car. Before she could say anything at all, he started his sermon.

She rolled her eyes a few times and eventually she shook her head, even more angry than before. "What does that mean? You're breaking up with me? Calling of the wedding?" she asked in a snappy tone. "Tell you what Charles, that's not going to happen. You are not going to embarrass me and my family like this! You're going to get in that suit I chose for you, not that icky one you chose yourself, and you're going to smile when we get married." She had raised her finger at him and was glaring St him now. No one left her. And certainly no one embarrassed her like that.

"I will not allow you to embarrass me! " she yelled and then started her car so she could drive back to their shared home.

Charlie shook his head. "I won't allow you to tell me what to do. I am breaking up with you. I am calling off the wedding. Why would you want a man to pretend to be happily married to you?" He shook his head again and let out a sigh. He opened the door of the car and got out. He leaned in it. "I can drive myself home. I'm going home and packing..." He shut the door and walked to his car. It wasn't a bright idea to go in and talk to Emily.

Once in his car he called her to tell her what was going on. They needed to talk but now wasn't the best time. He needed to go home and pack and find somewhere else to stay. Maybe with Dean.

When Emily picked up he sighed, "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I want to talk to you. I want to tell you what's going on. Right now I'm going back home to pack. I called off the wedding. I broke up with Laura. I want to get together but it may be a few days. But Em...I miss you..."

Emily picked up the phone quickly when she saw that it was Charlie calling. "Are you okay?" she asked immediately but was silenced by his apology. She sat down on her couch and listened to him, the urge to hug him very tightly was suddenly very strong inside her.

"Charlie I miss you too.....are you okay? Are you sure you can drive somewhere right now? I can call Dean for you and ask him to pick you up" she started but then stopped herself. "Sorry....I'm sorry. You can make your own decisions and ... sorry. I'm just worried." She ran a hand over her face and leaned back in her couch more.

"Be careful okay Charlie? And if you need someone else to talk than Dean, you can call me anytime. I miss you already....and I can't wait to get together again so we can see what the future holds for us." She smiled softly and hoped that he didn't feel pressured by her, the was the last thing she wanted. She really cared about him and wanted him to decide for himself what would be good for him. And hopefully, it would be her and their child.

"I am going to the doctor tomorrow morning. I can text you the address and if you want to come, you are very welcome to come there an join us." She looked down at her stomach with a smile and while she hoped Charlie would come, she could understand if he wouldn't be able to.

In spite of everything going on he couldn't help but smile. "Yea...I'm okay. I can drive." It was cute that she looked out for him. "Babe, it's okay." He just kept smiling.

"Thanks. I just need to get my things and find a place to stay. But it will probably be with Dean. If you need me check with him okay?" Charlie couldn't wait to see what was in store for them. This was just one thing he had to do first.

"I would love to be there. I'm looking forward to it. I'm really excited. Send me the information." He pulled into his driveway. "How about I call you once I know what's going on later okay? Try to enjoy your day. I gotta go. Bye..." He reluctantly hung up.

Once he hung up he went inside and started to look around. He went after some of valuables first having a feeling Laura would try to either sell them or break them. Once he grabbed those he started with his clothes. He called Dean and he showed up to help him and gladly let him stay with him. Charlie hoped he wouldn't run into Laura. He was over dealing with her for the day.

"Take your time Charlie. And be safe! Bye.." she answered when he ended the call and then put her phone down for a moment. She leaned her head back and sighed. Just now she had ruined a wedding, the wedding of a former friend of hers. But on the other hand, Charlie sounded much happier now. And wasn't that what counted the most? Laura would get over it, she would find a new man who she could make unhappy.

She picked up her phone and texted Charlie the address of her doctor, along with a little message that she couldn't wait to see him as a free man. She added a winking smiley and send the message, then put her phone down.

The rest of the day, Emily cleaned her apartment, did laundry and cooked herself a nice meal. She half expected Laura to show up on her doorstep again, but luckily she didn't. She was probably at her best friends place, raging about Charlie.

Emily went to bed early and slept through the night peacefully. The next morning, she got up and took a shower, then got ready to leave for the doctor's appointment. She would go to work later, so she packed herself a small lunch and a bottle of water. In a simple pair of dark blue jeans, a light yellow shirt that normally fitted her well but with the light baby bump was a little too tight, and a pair of dark blue sneakers, she left the apartment.

She took the bus to the doctor's office and then waited in front of it for Charlie, hoping that he could really make it.

Charlie woke up early to get ready for the day. He was getting to see his child today. It was crazy just a few days ago he was engaged to Laura and had no idea he was going to be a father. He showered and put on a pair of jeans and a button up plaid shirt. He grabbed a quick breakfast before taking off out the door of Dean's house.

He headed to the hospital and parked. When he got out, he headed for the entrance. He smiled when he saw Emily. "Hey you." He gave her a quick kiss. "How you feeling?" He was happy to see her. It had been a crazy day the day before and it was nice to have a stress free time with the woman he had feelings for. "I'll let you lead the way."

Charlie was so excited for this appointment. It was nice of her to let him be a part of the baby's life and all the appointments. "Emily...I want to be here for everything. I want to know about all appointments. I want to know how you are feeling. If I can do something let me know." He smiled at her and gave her cheek a kiss.

"I'm looking for an apartment. Once I get one, you can come over anytime you want." He felt it would be nice for them to get to know each other better.

Emily smiled widely when she spotted Charlie. "Hey you" she replied and softly returned his kiss. As she answered, she began to lead the way inside to go see the doctor.

"I'm fine, thank you. How are you though?" a hint of worry showed in her voice and her eyes when she asked about him. After all, he had ended a relationship the say before, called off a wedding and moved out of his home.

His statement that he wanted to go to every doctors appointment with her made her tear up a little but she quickly hid it by looking away and wiping over her eyes. "I would love that. To get to know you better and of course if you would go to every appointment with me. It means a lot to me that you came today and that you want to have this baby just as I want him or her."

They had reached the part of the hospital where babies were born and taken care off and Emily stepped up to a counter. She greeted the nurse friendly because they were coworkers and told her they were here for an ultrasound appointment.

They were told to wait in the waiting area for a few minutes and the doctor would be right with them.

Emily lead Charlie over to the waiting area where she sat down. "How is staying at Dean's place? As icky as I think it is with all his women around?" she asked jokingly and chuckled softly.

Charlie put his hands in his pockets. "I'm...alright. I'm looking for my own place. I think all the changes are going to take a bit of time but it will be worth it." He smiled at her.

He found a seat with her before answering to her answer about him wanting to go to the appointments. "Of course I want this baby. I hope we can raise it together in a way. I feel like we'd get alone enough to do that. I don't want to rush anything but I feel like giving the baby loving home with parents that love him or her is the most important thing." He smiled and leaned over to her cheek.

"It's not that bad. At least not yet. It's a lot cleaner than you'd expect. Maybe he cleans it so much to bring girls back." He shrugged. "I'd offer for you to come over...but...we haven't discussed me bringing some over yet. But I'd doubt he'd have a problem with you hanging out. Maybe watch a movie or have dinner. Something like that would be cool." His fingers ran up and down her knee.

"That would be very nice. I'd enjoy that." She admitted, lightly placing a hand on his arm as he ran his fingers along her knee.

Just as Emily leaned in and kissed his cheek, the doctor came up to them. He was about Emily's and Charlie's age, tall and had blonde hair and blue eyes. He smiled at Emily brightly. "Emily! Good to see you again." He greeted her and extended his hand.

Emily shook his hand and got to her feet. "Hello Brian." She smiled and then motioned towards Charlie. "This is Charlie. He will be with me today." She introduced, unsure if Charlie wanted to be introduced as the father of their child or if he needed some time to process this for himself before telling it to others.

Brian slowly let go of her hand and looked towards Charlie. It seemed like he watched him a moment and maybe his smiled faltered? But it could be just imagination because Brian smiled at Charlie just as brightly and held his hand out for him too.

"Great! Let's get into my office then." He lead the way and brought the two of them into his office. He had a white desk with a chair behind and a computer on it. On the opposite wall was a stretcher and a mobile ultrasound device next to it.

Brian pointed at the two chairs in front of his desk. "Please, take a seat. I just have some questions before we are going to have a look at your baby."

Charlie got up when the doctor came out. He watched this guy pretty closely. He had a feeling he had a thing for Emily and he got a bit of jealous flooding through him.

His hand extended and shook the doctors hand, but a bit firmer than he would a normal handshake. "Nice to meet you. I'm actually the father." He looked at Emily as he followed them to his office.

Charlie sat down next to Emily and held his hand out to hold her hand as they sat there. Charlie wanted to get the idea across that they were together. They were sort of seeing what could happen for their child and this guy needed to back off in his mind. "What kind of question do you have for us today?" Charlie was ready and eager to see their baby. His hand caressed hers while they sat there.

Emily almost had to chuckle when Charlie reached for her hand and asked for the questions for "them" . She could tell that he was jealous and a part of her like it.

She gently held his hand and caressed it with her thumb, wanting to reassure him silently that there was no need to be jealous.

"Ah, just some basic questions for Emily." Brian said with a smile then pulled up a file. "Do you have any complications? Pain? Bleeding?" he started to ask and Emily said no to all of the questions. Brian kept asking a few things about her nutrition, her stress levels and a few other things.

But finally, he seemed to be done. "Okay, time to have a look at your baby. Emily, please take off your shirt and lay down." Brian ordered with a smile. He looked at Charlie. "You can stand next to her."

Emily got up and gently kissed Charlie's cheek, then walked behind a room divider to take off her jacket and her shirt. She came back out and laid down on the stretcher, looking up at Charlie as she held out her hand for him. He could stand on one side of her while Brian sat on the other and got the ultrasound machine ready.

"Ready?" he asked the soon to be mother and watched how she nodded. Brian opened the button of her pants and pushed the hem down just a little so he could look at the baby properly, then applied a cold gel and finally pressed the probe gently against Emily's belly.

"There you go.... There is he or she." Brian told them as their still very small but steadily growing baby showed on the screen. He pressed a button and they could hear the heart beat, causing Emily to tear up and squeeze Charlie's hand tightly.

He appreciated Emily's little gestures to reassure him he didn't need to be jealous but he saw how Brian looked at her. He let it go though. He was glad she wasn't having any complications and things were going well for her. He was a bit glad that all the stress with him and Laura wasn't adding stress to Emily and the baby. He'd feel horrible.

When Brian told her to go get undressed for the ultrasound he smiled at her and reluctantly let go of her hand. It was a bit awkward waiting by the stretcher for her to lay down. He didn't know what to say to Brian so he just stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked around. Then when she came back out and laid down Charlie smiled when she came back and laid down. He gladly took her hand and kissed it.

On the ultrasound he looked at the baby who was growing. "Can we both get pictures?" He smiled and kissed her head. Then his heart stopped when he heard his child's heartbeat. His smile faded but he squeezed her hand. Fear instantly came over him. It didn't hit him like it did after he heard the heartbeat. His free hand ran through his hair. "Wow..."

Emily felt tears run down her cheeks when they listened to their baby's strong heartbeat. She wiped them away with her free hand and then looked up at Charlie, smiling softly when she saw his reaction was similar to hers. "I haven't heard this before either" she mumbled softly and then looked back at the screen.

Brian smiled down at Emily for a moment, then continued his examination, turning the sound of the heartbeat off again. "Your baby is very healthy. The heartbeat is strong and regular. You should make sure that you take the pregnancy vitamins and eat regularly and properly. Give in to the cravings you are going to have. But make sure to eat healthy."

He watched the baby from every direction and then made two pictures for Emily and Charlie. "That would be it. If you don't have any more questions, I will see you back in a month." He handed a picture to Emily and one to Charlie, then handed Emily a towel so she could clean her belly and get dressed again.

"I don't have any questions at the moment Brian, thank you." Emily cleaned herself and gave Charlie the chance to ask what he may want to ask.

Charlie took the photo of the ultrasound and just kept looking at it. He shook his head to any questions. "No...I'm good thank you." His eyes looked over to Emily and smiled. "Our baby is pretty good looking." He chuckled a bit and waited for her to get dressed.

Once she was dressed he held her hand as they walked out to the desk to set up her next appointment. He kissed her shoulder. "Make it for whenever works for you. I can make any time." He smiled at her.

Once she got her next appointment booked he walked to the door with her to leave. "This was amazing. Thanks for letting me come along. I loved it." He smiled and grabbed both her hands and kissed her softly. "Can I walk you to work?" He looked into her eyes. "And after work...how about you come over to Deans? We can order in and just...talk. Or spend time together."

Emily didn't think she had ever been that happy when she saw Charlie's face and how glad he was about having shared this appointment with her.

She made the appointment for the same time, just one month ahead, put the picture of their baby into her purse and then walked outside with Charlie. With a happy smile on her face she looked up at him as he kissed both her hands and asked his questions.

"Of course. We have to take the bus though." She gently steered him towards the bus stop while answering his second question. "Yes, I would love to come over to Dean's place and eat something with you. Talking, watching a movie... Anything, really. I just want to spend time with you." She smiled up at Charlie and squeezed his hand, walking a little closer to him.

"I work at a pre-k only a few stops away from here. One day you should come visit. The kids will love you." She chuckled and nudged his side gently. Not for one second did she doubt that anything bad could happen now. They were going to be parents and Emily was sure that with enough time and patience, they would find a way to be together as a couple too.

Charlie walked with her towards the bus stop. "Actually I have my car. Why don't I just drive you, then I can walk you to your classroom." He smiled and walked her to his car. "Want me to pick you up to come to Dean's?" He wasn't sure if she had a car of her own. He opened her door for her and shut it behind her. He then climbed in and held her hand as he drove. His fingers played with her hand.

"Pre-k huh? They would like me? They wouldn't eat me alive? Or do you think that I could make them laugh and have fun with them? Pre-k is little. I give you props." He laughed a bit.

"I would love to just hang out with you too. It may be a bit like back in school, hanging out in my room, trying to stay away from Dean." He laughed a bit. Once he got to her work he parked and got out. He grabbed her door and held her hand as he walked her to her classroom. He stopped and pulled her to him and kissed her deeply. "Have a good day. I will see you soon okay? Call me if you want me to pick you up after work."

Emily couldn't help but smile and feel special when Charlie held her hand at any time and then kissed her so deeply right in front of her classroom. Her arms found their way around his neck and she melted against him a bit, kissing him back just as deeply.

"I can't wait for you to pick me up later. I'll text you when I'm ready." She promised and smiled, then pecked his lips before she forced herself to pull away from Charlie and walk into the classroom. A bunch of young children were already waiting for her, cheering when she came inside finally.

The day passed by without any disturbance and in the late afternoon, Emily texted Charlie that she would be ready for him to pick her up if he still wanted to pick her up. She sat in front of the school building in the sun, eating some slices of cucumber and some little tomatoes as a snack. Her thoughts, like all day, were circling around Charlie, how they had experienced the heartbeat of their child together, how her hand had felt in his....she smiled like a love drunk school girl while not noticing one bit about her surroundings.

"Sounds good. I can't wait." He kissed her back and let her get to work before he left to head to work himself. It was okay he was late because he owned his own business which made it nice to hit all of their doctor appointments. It was hard to work though cause all he could think about was Emily and their baby.

Charlie got off work and went to pick Emily up from work. He was excited to spend some time with her. He arrived to pick her up and saw her sitting on a bench outside her school. He smiled and got out to open her door for her. "Hey there beautiful. How was work?" Charlie kissed her cheek. Once she was in he shut the door and got in to drive to Dean's.

He grabbed her hand as he drove and smiled at her. "I missed you today. You were all I thought." He smiled and he had done some thinking and later when he got to Dean's he had to talk to her about some important things. Technically they did have a lot to discuss about the future.

Once he got to Dean's they parked and he got out with her going inside. "Dean's not off work for another couple hours so we should have some time to ourselves. How about I make dinner?"

As soon as she spotted Charlie, Emily packed her few things and got up, swiftly making her way over to him. She kissed his cheek back and got into the car. "Hey you" she greeted softly, then put on her seat belt.

"Work was good. The children saw you this morning and kept asking me about you" she said with a soft chuckle. Her fingers gently laced with his and she looked over at him when he admitted he had been thinking about her. "I missed you too .... I kept calling the prince in that story I read to the children 'Charlie'. They drew pictures of Prince Charlie afterwards and some even look like you." She admitted and leaned over to gently kiss his cheek.

"Dinner sounds great. I can help you" she offered as they got out of the car and walked into the house. "What is Dean working as again?" she asked curiously and walked with him to the kitchen, taking off her jacket on the way inside.

Charlie chuckled about the kids asking about him. "Really? I was a prince today? Maybe tomorrow I can be a different cool character. Like an astronaut or sailor." He smiled and kissed her cheek. "Do you have a few good artists?"

"You don't have to help. I can handle it. But company sounds good." He grinned. Charlie went in and into the kitchen. He got stuff out to make spaghetti. "He's an insurance agent." Charlie first started with browning the beef and getting the sauce ready.

"I think he secretly hates his job, but it pays well. He's just not a desk job kind of guy." He shrugged. "Oh well. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to pay bills." He kissed her cheek. "I'm gonna get out of my work clothes...do you..." He looked her over. "Do you want clothes to change into?" His lips pressed softly against hers.

Back
Top Bottom