Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Juggling Act [Jinx and Seraph]

For some reason, Jack's face went red.

Jack fell back a bit from the shove, unstable, before settling on his feet. He could hear whispers and conversation, people texting and calling. Dammit, he wasn't gay especially for this ass. The other witch was an enemy. ENEMY!

He was quick to dispel his embarrassment with a raised fist. "Baby this!" And he punched at the other witches gut. He tried to keep skin to skin contact to a minimum. When the other witch pushed him with his hand, on his shoulder he got that weird tingling feeling again.

When Jack's face went red, Alex had to smile, it made the other boy look cute when he was flustered. He blinked suddenly--where had that thought come from? He wasn't gay, not really, this was just an act. Wasn't it? He frowned a little and spaced off for a moment too long and never noticed Jack's fist going for his exposed stomach. Alex gasped in pain and tried to curl up at the sudden burst of pain from being hit. He wrapped an arm around his middle protectively as he got up and panted slightly.

His glare was fierce before he glanced around the room, and caught the wide-eyed stares as one of the girls with numerous piercings, heavy make-up, and dyed black hair shouted out, "Dun hit him, dun y'know that is abuse? What's da matter with you?"

One of the other girls in the room nodded, "Yeah, don't beat on your boy just because he isn't listen to you."

Alex felt like dropping into a hole and just dying as the girls defended him, that was more embarrassing than getting hit. Especially since now he couldn't hit back if he wanted to look like the more little abused partner. He frowned and then the principal came out and shouted, "What is going on in here?"

Jack stood up hurriedly, trying to appear contrite. "Nothing sir. He just fell." It was a transparent lie but, if the other witch agreed then it wouldn't matter if it weren't a lie.

He had to grin when the girls tried to stand up for the other witch. So it means he's the abuser. Serves the gay idiot right. He himself wasn't gay so it didn't matter to him. If the other witch wanted to continue on with the charade he would be quite pleased to play the abusive partner. At least that meant he topped.

One of the girls pointed to Alex and spoke to principal, "Mr. Reynolds, he's lying, sir! Dun believe him. He's been hitting Alex."

"They're in a relationship," one of the other girl's supplied a little unhelpfully as Alex winced and shook his head slightly. How was it that his charade was coming to bite him in the ass so quickly? Usually it took a few days for something like that to cause problems.

Alex shook his head, "Nothing like that happened Mr. Reynolds. I was just falling and grabbed onto Jack here and he tried to help me, but elbowed me in the stomach."

"Look, he's trying to cover up for him," the girl with the piercing, Anna-Marie, he thought, shouted again, "Don't ya gotta report that to the counselor or something?"

Mr. Reynolds looked uncomfortable before he looked to Alex, "Well...Alex, is this true? Are you--"

"N-no, sir," he straightened up and smiled a little. His cheeks had a little blush on them as he rubbed his stomach. "Just a little misunderstanding that's all. Jack would never hit me. He loves me too much. Don't you...honey?" He turned and smiled coolly at Jack.

Jack's grin was full of teeth and his eyes twitched. "Yeah. Sure." He growled under his breath. "Alex just fell and I went to help him cause we're in a relationship." He almost choked on the last words of his sentence.

He crossed his arms across his pale chest. "We're in love." Ooooh...Alex was going to pay. He was not going to let himself get dragged into his little farce. Well too far. He had a reputation to uphold.

Mr. Reynolds face seemed to go red and he chocked for a moment, before he swallowed and sputtered out, "That's...that's very nice boys." He seemed distinctly uncomfortable as a man of a very conservative household and upbringing might be. He chose, instead, to focus on Jack's lack of a shirt, "Young man, you do know that going shirtless is against the dress-code--put on your clothes immediately or you'll serve a detention. You understand me?"

Alex hid a snicker behind a sweet smile at Jack, "Isn't he such a sweetheart? I'm sorry about the confusion, Mr. Reynolds. It really isn't a big deal."

The older man nodded sharply, "See to it, none of this...funny business happens again, Mr. Dakota."

Alex nodded, "Of course sir..." He rubbed his stomach slightly before he looked at Jack, "We should go to the locker room. I think I have a shirt that will fit you, Jack." His eyes were less than warm, but still amused as he said it. Especially with how the taller teen seemed so uncomfortable with the idea that they were in a "relationship".

Jack almost felt offended. As if he would have any...funny business with Alex. Ruining the other teen's life would be more appropriate.

He ignored the girl's whisperings, grabbing his bag and the rest of his lunch into it. He ignored the squeak sounds and hoisted his bag onto his bare shoulders. "Let's go to the locker room." He said to Alex, scowling.

His own eyes, murky brown as they were, flashed with indignation and anger. That green eyed fruit cake was going to get it.

Alex reached down and picked up his backpack before he waved out of the room, and started to walk towards the gym without glancing back to see if Jack was even following him. He figured that he had pissed off the other teen enough that he would follow, but one couldn't be too sure. He winced as he took a deep breath and coughed slightly--he wasn't a physical fighter. He had never thought it to be prudent but after that hit, he wondered if he should learn, at the very least, how to block.

The red-head took a sharp turn into the men's locker room and went to his locker before spinning the dial expertly and popping it open to pull out a plain white shirt that was at least two sized too big for him and usually fell about mid-thigh for him. He thought about it critically and nodded, before he tossed it onto the bench between the lockers, "That should fit you."

He dropped his backpack on the bench before he sat down and lifted his shirt to look at the growing bruise all ready--he bruised too easily. If he had been a clumsy person, he would have been covered in bruises but as it were, he wasn't so he was lucky. But if Jack insisted on hitting him like a barbarian and not using magic like a normal witch did...What was he thinking? He didn't want the other witch using magic on his territory.

Jack followed, ignoring the looks others gave him. He placed his bag down, taking the shirt. It fitted him perfectly, nicely. And it smelled a bit.

He sat down on the bench. "Alex...you shouldn't pull your gay shit on me." He noticed the bruise, feeling a tiny bit guilty. "If you do, I'll give you worse than that bruise." Why use magic when he has fists?

He wasn't one to threaten people but sometimes he had to. Jack hated this little game. And he wasn't gay. That was a big no. He was NOT gay. Right?

Alex blinked at Jack before he blinked owlishly at him, "I'm not gay or rather, I don't think I am." He looked at the bruise and poked it lightly and winced as all of his muscles contracted at the sudden pain. He sighed and let his shirt drop back down before he looked at Jack, his eyes oddly earnest, "Why does everything think I am? Do I have a tattoo that I can't see?"

He frowned, "Don't use your magic at this school. This is my town, and I won't have you messing with my humans."

Alex leaned against the other set of lockers, "Besides, what's wrong with being gay?" He didn't mind it, he had an uncle who was and his friend was lesbian now. It seemed that everything in his life was going rainbow, but that didn't bother him. He yawned before looking at Jack, "Why did you come here? It's not like my family hasn't lived here since before the Salem Witch Trials and I have no intention of giving up, or sharing my home with you."

"Your humans?" Jack snorted. "That's bullshit, a lot of elitist bullshit." He hated that, he hated that witches think they can own humans. Why do you think hunters hate witches? Not because of all the shit they pull but their attitude.

"No you don't have an attitude but if you're not gay why act like that? You're just misleading people." He was confused. "As for me being here, I had to go to some school after my last one got destroyed partially. Besides my family ignores those idiotic territory claims. "

Alex sighed and rubbed his temples and looked at Jack, "No, it's bullshit you think that you can't own them. They don't know half the things in this world, and because of that they have to be protected. It's not like it's the old days where they pay a tithe." He snorted, "Obviously, you're family is one of those "new-wave" groups."

He gave a little shrug, "Because it bothered you. And why should I care what people think? Most of them think so anyway." He stretched a little, "It must be because of my wonderfully personality." His green eyes were slightly amused before he frowned, "So there are more of you here...Great, just what I need to deal with. An idiot who uses their magic in school and his family who doesn't listen to territory claims--are the lot of you trying to start another war and bring hunters down on us again?"

He snorted, "If so, next time you can just call the nearest church and ask for their special division and turn yourselves in. Save the rest of us a lot of trouble."

"Don't be a punk, Alex." Jack heard of these reasoning before, they were annoying. "Own humans? You can't own them. Even if you did, you're horrible at taking care or protecting."

"Your families nonsense are the reason hunters are around in the first place. What do you think a human will think if they heard that a secret family owns them? Owns the territory? Just because they don't know half the things in the world doesn't mean you have to be the ones 'protecting' them." Jack had seen witch's idea of protection, it was laughable.

He snorted. "Your idea of protection is so bland and bare. If you really wanted to protect humans you would help fix their injuries, their pains..their diseases. But you don't. So yeah, pretentious. It's almost like....look it's Alex and Jack they just have the cutest little couple, I hear the human pets do tricks like play dead and catch." His disdain could be heard in his voice.

Alex arched a thin red eyebrow at Jack and frowned, "You are terribly naive. You think they would do better under a vampire's guardianship? Or how about we submit them to a pack of werewolves? I'm sure that would go over well when the population started to drop with every new corpse that turned up the next morning." He scoffed, "I can see how that would be so much better than letting them live their lives out as normally as possible and as happily as they can be given their situations.

"We," he emphasized," are not gods, nor do I aspire to be one."

He blinked for a moment before he laughed; he had a rich laugh, full bodied and it warmed his demeanor before he looked at Jack curiously, "You are odd. If I had a human for a pet, it wouldn't be doing tricks like playing dead or catch. Laundry and cooking dinner is so much better in the long run."

His disdain hardly bothered Alex, he had heard these arguments before, but honestly, this was the way he had been raised and he believed it to be the right way.

"Least they'll fight the vampires or werewolves. Hunters get called in more often due to bodies being found in the morning." Jack shot back. "Your so called protection isn't really protection at all, more like I'm a better master, you won't end up dead tomorrow....don't you think they'd rather fight for themselves? Put their own fates in their own hands?"

He pulled out the rest of his cookie and a banana. "And I'm still hungry." He munched on his cookie, savoring the taste. "You sound more like a slave owner, you know with the cooking and laundry. Do you have human pets?"

Alex shrugged, "They'd fight witches too, they would just have more of a problem killing people who really haven't interfered in their lives. A vampire would enthrall them and kill them as he pleased, and werewolves wouldn't take well to anyone disrespecting their dominance or "superiority". So in the end, it is just that, I'm the better master and you will wake up tomorrow alive. As for their fates--I don't interfere with them; I wasn't the one casting spells this morning to influence their minds or cause them to slip in the halls, now was I?"

The redhead frowned when Jack pulled out his cookie and a banana and his stomach growled in annoyance. He looked down at his wristwatch and sighed; he had missed lunch. The cafeteria only served their meals for thirty minutes and it had been much longer than that--pity. He had been looking forward to the pasta bar. He shrugged, "Human pets went out of fashion decades ago. It was deemed to "vulgar" to have them as they did have higher thought. Truthfully, I would rather have employees than pets, pets you have to house, and employees you just have to pay. Now...witches on the other hand..."

It wasn't an uncommon practice at the end of a small family feud for the winning family to take their enemies and turn them into vassals, pets, or bodyguards. It was a way to embarrass them as well as show the family's status. However, his family hadn't been in a skirmish in over a century and had no such people in their household.

"Nah. I think if they see a threat they'll kill it regardless." Jack finished his cookie. "No you're the master who ruined my shirt. You owe me money."

He eyed his banana, hearing Alex's stomach. Jack tossed his banana at Alex. "Here." He thought over Alex's words. "Witches on the other hand are free game." That was a tradition that never died out.

His own family rarely participated, only taking money and favors. Owning other people was so old style. They liked the newer trends.

Alex looked at the banana for a moment before he peeled it and started to eat it; he paused long enough to say, "Thanks." But quickly devoured the fruit and his stomach stopped growling. He nodded at Jack's words, "Very much fair game." He looked at Jack curiously, "You do know if you don't listen to me, and if we get into a fight--I would win, right? As for owing you money, consider it fair for every bruise on my body and spitting cookie all over me. Honestly, it was just a kiss."

The newer trends, as his father would say, were the bane of a witch's existence. They disrupted the peace between families and made it harder to organize marriages and keep track of witches who were born without magic but still carried the recessive gene which could pop up in their child. If that happened and the non-magical witch had been adopted out of their family? What kind of havoc that would cause! It would just be terrible. The redhead reached into his bag and pulled out his notebook for his spells and flipped back to the one he was working on and went through it step by step, double-checking his work. Everything, to him, looked fine. He would have to ask his mother later to look it over.

"How many are in your family?"

"No you wouldn't." Jack scoffed. Just because you have more magic it doesn't mean you're better at it or that you'll win. He had been training his entire life just to be able to show those assholes that power wasn't everything. "It's also called sexual harassment."

He peered at the notebook, looking at the spells. "Are you working through the mechanics?" He had his own notebook all original spells, complex spells. "Are you working for a massive spell work? Like changing rocks into gold?" The level of vulgarity required a lot of magic to change them.

Jack pointed at one of the steps of one of the spells. "Isn't that wrong? Wouldn't that just make the spell loop into itself making it endless until the magic runs out?"

Alex shrugged, "I think I very much would, actually. And it's only sexual harassment if you make into it, honestly, you're making a mountain out of an anthill. What? Was it your first kiss or something?" He looked amused by the idea that the other teen was having a fit because it was his first kiss that was "stolen" from him. He didn't think he was that bad of a kisser, but that, he reasoned, hadn't been much of a kiss.

The redhead shook his head, "No, simple. I don't like complex nets of magic, they are too annoying to keep up and require too much work for the most part. And for so little in return on some spells. It's a spell to keep my shoes from getting wet. I don't like the snow, and neither do my shoes."

Alex frowned and followed Jack's finger and looked through it carefully before nodding, "I plan on anchoring it and touching it up as the "battery" runs out. Talisman based. But...it might draw too much magic in at a time and start leeching from me. Last thing I need..."

Magic, in a sense, was part of a witch's life-force. If it got too low, the witch in question could faint, or go comatose until their magic replenished itself or they died from depletion. He never wanted to be in that position.

"It was kissing. With you." Jack shuddered. "Ew."

"Keeping your shoes from getting wet?" He raised an eyebrow. "Why not buy boots? Why risk hunters finding you by seeing how, you're the only kid with shoes that don't get wet." He shook his head. "You could use other substances on your shoes to keep water from sinking in."

"Well you could always find other sources of magic to sustain the spell or make it use less magic." His love of theory and mechanics were the only reason his spells hadn't drained him to a coma. "If you do anchor it with a talisman make sure it's a good one. Last thing you need is it breaking on you." Why was he helping him? It would be best for the spell to snap and give Alex a proverbial smack on the head. "If you want, I can help you make better spells."

Alex just sang of magic, his mere presence filled the room differently. It reminded Jack that his own magic was so much smaller.

Alex shrugged, "It wasn't much of a kiss anyway. If you're complaining now, hate to see what you'd do then." There was a little bit of a challenge in his voice but as the other witch started helping him with his spell work, Alex learned forward and listened intently, before he shrugged, "I could, however, why would I do that when I have magic to do it? I have plans to link it with a glamour, much like the one you used this morning, to cover it up. It's only really for when I walk home in the afternoons, it needn't be active the rest of the time."

He took out a pen and jotted down some quick notes in the margins of his notebook, before he nodded, "I wouldn't mind your help." He remembered the last time he had a spell break on him, and it hadn't even been his own! When it broke he had been left with a headache and nausea for several hours and had to stay home in bed until he recovered. He considered it, "I was thinking of a simple talisman...one that be activated when need be and not constant."

He tapped the leather cord that went down under his shirt before he lifted it up to show it to Jack, feeling a little foolish as he did so, one didn't show their defenses to their "enemy". "Protection talisman, its...my only constant talisman. It takes a lot to keep it up, and I'd rather not have another one."

The longer Jack was in the room with him, the more relaxed be became around the other teen; eventually, he decided, he might actually forgive him for being an intruder.

"At least you don't use magic frivolously." Jack said sarcastically. Water proofing shoes was a very personal magic.

Seeing Alex's talisman reminded Jack of his own. Well, more like several of his talisman. Not to mention his necklace that got soaked in cola. There were several glamour spells embedded in the necklace stone. Some were to make people attract or to turn people's opinions. Others were so people investigating him will feel as if they don't have to. The best part of his spells was that he uses their own brain against them.

Having something that drains the other boy's magic was rather marvelous. In a battle, all he would have to do is to make it channel even more magic. Sure it would protect Alex from outside danger but not from magic drain. "Can your talisman protect itself? Like, if someone were to steal it from you....what will happen then?" He was following a train of thought, sometimes it isn't magic that get you but a normal person who takes your possessions. Or someone using normal means.

Alex frowned slightly, before he looked at his talisman, "I'm...not sure." He dropped his talisman back against his chest with a soft thump as he considered it. His mother had made him the talisman and would have been one to better answer all of the questions. He shrugged, "I believe so? My mother created it for me. I've had it since I've been very young."

The talisman was at least ten years old, and was as strong as ever, at least he thought it was. If it had been an era of war, he would have been more sore of what the talisman could do. He fingered it slightly before he thought on it for a moment longer, "I believe that it can protect itself...as in that if someone else were to take it and try to meddle with it, that it would stop them from doing it.

"And do you have any, Jack?"

"Everyone has them." He said smoothly. "The question is more how powerful the protection is."

Jack considered the talisman, frowning slightly. "Well, in order to fix your problem we'll need more information regarding the nature of how it protects you." His own parents encouraged their children to create their own spells, including protection spells. Out of all the kids, Jack had a knack for them, since their spell work was quite intricate.

There were even spells that could be embedded into the protections spell itself that made it heat up if anyone tried to take it, or transport itself back to it's wearer. It did cost a lot of money though. High class protection spells were done by specific clans who made a fortune by selling the talisman to others who needed the spells or could not make it by themselves. They are the most secretive of the witches, their magic is the least flashiest of all. They also keep an eye on hunter movement and other supernatural beings like vampires.

Once he gets a chance, Jack was considering an apprenticeship with one of the clan members. They were good to witches like himself, weaker in the power spectrum but intelligent in the creation aspect.

Back
Top Bottom