Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Tale of Two Lives (BurningWillows & Rskde)

SYFY-Shannara-Chronicles-Manu-Bennett_zpsvaaac7sz.jpg

Flynn sighs, he had tried finding someone else before and it hasn't worked out, like he assumes this won't, as she seems confused by his words even though he sees her blush.

He dives under the water and swims pas her, going all the way around the lake before popping his head up, shaking his head to let the water stuck in it shake free.

He turns to see her trying to catch up. "I win!" He calls out with a grin on his face.

"Not fair," she calls back, finally catching up, "I don't turn into a fish when I hit water. Damn, your fast."

"Not as fast as I'll be to go tell your father where you are," the voice cut through the lake making Hayley spin in the water to glare at the tall stocky red head glaring back at her.

"You followed me Jeziah?" She snapped, crossing her arms over her chest to protect the fact she was nude, "you have no right-"

"You left the caves with a strange man. As a wolf of your pack it's my duty to make sure your safe," he replied cooly, "Gernesh won't be pleased your frolicking around naked with non-southerners."

"He's just jealous because I didn't invite him," Hayley muttered under her breath for Flynn to hear, "Guy has been after my affection for months now."

Jeziah sighed, "Cmon Hayley. What does a wolf have to do around here to get your attention? What the hell did this mutt do that I haven't?"

Hayley rolled her eyes, "your not my type Jeziah. Your brother is cuter."

She was talking about Bear. Bear was all muscle and bulk. Jeziah had his brothers height and build with wide shoulders but he did little training and in her opinion he let his body go to waste. Hayley had a very particular pallet for men.

"What is your type princess?" He asked exasperated.

"Strong, muscular. The type of man who can sweep me off my feet without asking. Any man like that doesn't need to vow his adoration to me. He knows what he wants and he needs no explanation."

"So this barbarian," Jeziah snarled.

"He's a hell of a step up then you'd be," she shot back, swimming closer to Flynn, "get lost Jeziah. And if you tell my father a word of where I am Ill personally make sure no girl in the pack dates you."

"Bitch!" He swore, turning and stomping away.

"Sorry about that," she muttered, embarrassed now, "he's a nice kid but when he started writing poetry and singing at my window I lost all interest. Not my type."

Flynn just listens to the conversation, leaning against the side of the lake as they argue back and forth, his eyebrows raised when he is called a barbarian.

He shakes his head and laughs at her comments. "Good thing I didn't give you the poem I wrote." He says jokingly. "I'm kidding." He says after a moment of silence.

"Sorry about freaking you out, I know I was a little forward, but I figured since you are leaving soon I might as well get it out." He explains before running the back of his head, exposing his abs from under the water.

She made a gross face at his joke about poetry then splashed him, "don't you dare write me a poem. Your the only sane wolf I can hang with in that pack right now. Everyone is either gushing over the candidates or swooning at the thought of romance between Katerina and whomever she chooses."

She eyed him as he stretched, sinking her head mostly under the water so he could only see her vibrant eyes and not her blush. He was indeed her type like Jeziah said. But she wasn't one to admit that.

Rising again when her cheeks were not inflamed she shrugged, "I may or may not be leaving. Father wants to return to the pack but i hope to convince him to let me stay. He seems inclined to let me, he knows I'll be just as safe within the northern pack as o would be in the south."

Flynn raises his eyebrows at her as she sinks slightly into the water, wondering to himself what she could be hiding on her beautiful face. He chuckles at her reaction to his joke, covering his face slightly as she splashes water at him, which he does back to her in earnest.

"If you're staying we could hang out some more." He offers, submerging himself and grinning at her blush. "I find it funny how all of the things you're interested in apply to me, but you don't want to be romanced, I'm not exactly a romantic guy." He says, hiding his grin nicely.

"So do you want to give it a go?" He asks her with the raise of his eyebrows.

She wiggled her eyebrows at him when he splashed and mostly missed her then doused him with water again, "Keep up old man. Can't handle a petite girl?"

She swam backwards out of his range laughing, "we will see about it. You have a pretty white haired princess who requires most of your time."

He then asked and her smile dropped a fraction, instead grinning devilishly at him, "aw, you just lost the game. And you were close too. Thanks for playing though Flynn."

She stepped out of the water, this time sauntering back into the trees so he got a perfect view of her nude backside, dripping wet with lake water. Once out of sight she jogged naked back to her clothes, unashamed of her body as she dressed. Wolves were naturally naked and she'd seen plenty of Men and women fresh from a Change strutting around through her years. Pulling her black tunic back on and the belt she had been wearing she rang out her hair one last time and stepped back into the northern caves, pretending nothing had just happened. It was unfortunate he'd asked her out, otherwise ruining a nice afternoon at the lake. The man had all the right looks but what had turned her head was his banter and remarks much alike her own. When he'd been mysterious and rough around the edges it enthralled and enticed her. She hoped she hadn't made him soft because she started flirting with him.

Time will tell. Maybe he'll catch on like no other man has. Maybe one day I'll find my match.

Flynn shakes his head. "Trust me! I haven't lost anything!" He calls to her, staring at her naked backside as she disappears into the woods.

He slips out of the water, slipping on his shirt before sighing, he'd have to work hard for this girl. He walks around to the wood with her, grabbing her by her hips and raising his eyebrows at her.

"So a princess is too good for me?" He asks with a grin before stepping away from her. "We ought to go back, your daddy might be afraid his pup is gone." He says to the redhead over his shoulder.

Her heart jumped when his hands landed on her hips, not expecting him to follow. But she hid it with an easy smile, sticking her tongue at him as he walked away all cocky.

"I'm not a pup!" She called back, knowing at this point he'd guessed her age but the banter didn't need to stop, "And my father doesn't know what I do with my life."

He was walking ahead of her and just to get on his nerves she sped up, ducking around him and elbowing him playfully in the arm before dashing into the caves and disappearing down the halls, losing him easily. She kept jogging till she found her room, hiding within. He made her heart flutter when he acted like that, and for once she felt a little giddy. Not that she'd let anyone know.

Flynn laughs when she elbows him, watching her run into the caves alone. He finds himself actually wanting her, loving her teasing and her attitude in general.

He returns to his quarters to lay down, thinking about Hayley, how he would be able to woo her. He falls asleep thinking about it, deciding that she seems to like it when they compete, so that's what he would do.

At the end of the week the second Trial commenced, and Kayden tested thier bravery. She got Ven to build a wood and rope rickety bridge across the pits to the other side where a small ladder led down. Below in the pit they'd set up a large disc that took up almost the whole put full of spikes. In truth it was a large balloon like substance that would catch thier fall with an illusion spell on it to make it look like spikes. Each man had to try and cross the bridge without falling and then down the ladder. To her surprise it was Reagon who lost, refusing to cross such a dangerous contraption and risk his life for "just a princess". Ulrick failed too, having fallen off the bridge and found to be intoxicated. The rest moved on, and to Stephens luck he didn't need to go across, Reagon being before him.

As for the Betas, there was news of the grey wolves planning an attack on the north and east, angered by their lose in the Trials so quickly. All Betas were advised to return to their packs and tend to them. As well as protect them as Gareth and the Mountain Wolf Beta made a trip to visit the grey wolves and calm the unease. The trials would not commence again until all Betas returned, meaning the four contestants and Kayden had a few weeks to spare, to relax and get to know one another, and enjoy the north.

As for Hayley she worked her father over until she could stay, convincing him she wanted to see everything that happened and learn more about the court. In truth she just wanted more time to flirt with Flynn. So as the Betas left with thier entourages Hayley remained behind alike the four contestants, unsure when the Trials would resume.

Dominik stays in his room after the trial had finished, now seemingly obsessed with books and studying for the next trial, wondering how the trial by combat would work. The only thing he knows as of now is that he'd have to kill Lukai in order to allow Stephen to win, as Stephen might be able to overpower Ulrick.

He sighs as he finishes another book, tucking his taken books under his arm and leaving his room, walking into what seems to be an empty library while putting the books back on the shelf he had found them on. He bites the bottom of his lip softly as he looks for more, finding only a few to tuck under his arm this time, he feels as if he has absorbed so much information that his head will explode.

Flynn knocks on Hayley's quarters when nobody is around, resting his frame against the wall next to it, having an idea for a competition for the both of them. He waits patiently, hoping that she is actually inside of her room as to not seem like a fool for looking there.

Since the trial had halted Kayden didn't have to play her sister 24/7. As long as she arrived to meetings, held lunch with the candidates and conducted herself in a civilized manner on her off time she could resort to her old ways. And her old ways included comfy tunics with belts and little else, tucking herself away in the library to read.

When the door opened she heard it but barely looked up from her table, engorged in a book. People came and went all the time through the library. She was so engrossed she didn't catch his scent either, and if he had called her real name she would easily respond with yes, forgetting who she had to pretend to be.

~

Hayley heard the knock and bounced to the door to retrieve it. She'd gone with a white long sleeved shirt and tights with fur cuffs for the day, as winter was setting in and making the halls cold.

"Flynn, what a pleasant surprise," she purred, grinning mischievously at him, "now why would you be knocking on a princesses door?"

Daniel-Gillies_zps6mtt1mow.jpg

Dominik looks over and waves. "Hey Kayden." He says with a cheerful smile, sitting down next to her with his new books. He cracks open his newest books and starts to skim through it.

"Haven't seen you in awhile, I've been reading this stuff nonstop." He says with a chuckle. "The North has some serious history to it." He says, smiling at her. "I never would've thought until I read on it."

Flynn plants a kiss on her lips, just one second of his lips and then he breaks away. "Catch me if you can!" He says with a laugh, sprinting off down the cave towards the guarded entrance.

He slides out of the entrance and sprints down the ravine before sitting on the edge, waiting for her to follow, hopefully.

Hayley laughed and gave chase, following him at high speeds crashing through the trees until she stopped short a few paces back, watching him.

"You kissed me," she crossed her arms and pretended to pout, leaning back against a tree, "most wolves would consider that rude."

~

Kayden head snapped up so hard her spine cracked. She stared with wide eyes at Dominik as he sat down talking about all the books he read. Something felt off to her. This wasn't the man in the Trials, the serious brooding one. Kayden had grown to like that brooding, it make his features sharper so when he looked at her Kaydens breath fell away.

Hes forcing it, she realized, only partially listening to him, is he doing it just to be kind to the quiet mouse of a twin sister...maybe gain Katerina's favor? Or does he think I need special treatment, that i can't handle anyone not cheery, like a pup.

"I'm glad you like them," she murmured her eyes going back to the book as she faked nonchalant, "I'm sure my sister is impressed with your knowledge too. She enjoys a intellectual conversation now and then. Although from what she told me, she likes you more for your mystery than your knowledge on..."

Her eyes looked up and towards the book he held, "...berries: a complete guide to avoid poison and death."

She laughs then, her smile actually touching her eyes. He really was trying too hard. That book was horrid, filled with pages of boring text on parchment about what berries could kill werewolves. A long dead relative of Kaydens mother had written it.

"Ease off the herb books mystery boy. Try the Great Wars. Much juicier."

She was teasing him, as a friend would tease a friend. While as Katerina she could flirt and enjoy the beauty of this man as herself she had to refrain from it. She didn't want to commit treason. Even if he was cute...

Flynn chuckles. "You aren't like most werewolves." He says while leaning against a small tree, he shakes his head and chuckles.

He walks forward and places his hands on her hips again. "Whenever I do that your heartbeat flutters." He says before stepping back, turning his back to her and crossing his arms. "If I were a professional I'd say you're in love." He says with a wicked grin on his face.

Dominik shrugs. "I already read it.. I'm running out of stuff to read." He says with the shake of his head. He closes it and places it down on the table. "How do you think Katerina will choose her mate?" He asks with the raise of his eyebrows.

"I figure if I can't get all of the information from books, I have a living breathing encyclopedia right in front of me, I know both of you enjoy reading." He says while leaning back in his chair, the cheerfulness is gone. This man looks cold and calculating, his face hiding any emotion that might have been there, his eyes staring into her soul.

"She will pick whoever wins all the trials. Have you not noticed the theme yet? I heard Lukai has. Maybe that's why he keeps winning."

Kayden smiled at thought, memories of the night before when Lukai had made her supper in the mess hall and sat eating and cuddling. She hadn't made any progress with the others as she had with that stunning creature. Although Dominik was definitely someone she secretly wished would win one, just for a chance to see him alone outside the Trials.

But she was seeing him alone. Now. She was just seeing him as Kayden and not Nina.

"My advice is be yourself. The cheery pep boy is Bear not you. The romantic hottie is Lukai, also not you. Your the mysterious bad boy. It works for you and it could work out for Nina."

I mean it's a hard toss up between mysterious and brooding Dominik or sweet and hot Lukai. That's a hard choice.

~

"Pssht," she snorted then let out a loud laugh, "Love? Really? I know you for a few weeks and you assume love. Oh my god you are a poet like Jeziah."

She laughed harder, rolling her eyes at him, "I know your not serious. You can't be."

Dominik allows the corner of his mouth to lift up in a half smile. "Maybe I'll try to win the next one." He says to her, leaning back in his chair. "I've been reading too much, I keep losing myself in these books." He admits quietly, drumming his fingers against the table.

"Lukai may have picked up a theme, but he's not strong enough to kill.. If I face him I'll be going for his throat." Dominik says with a grin on his face. He stands and nods to her. "You enjoy that book Kayden." He says before leaving, he had left the books he picked up on the table.

"Thou blind fool love, what doth thou to mine eyes..?" He says before laughing hysterically, slamming his fist against a tree. "Of course I'm messing with you, but I'm not kidding when I say your heart actually changes tempo when I touch you." He says while wiggling his eyebrows.

"So I brought you out here because I was bored, you're usually good at coming up with ideas yeah? You know my old fragile mind.." He shakes his head at the words. "Can't think of anything creative any more.." He chuckles to himself.

Kayden watched him lead, curious to what he meant before returning to her book.

~

Hayley wrinkled her nose, still leaning into the tree, "you a terrible liar. Your just trying to get something out of me. I can see it in your face you have something in mind."

She had something too. Last night all she could do was dream about the tall handsome man. She dreamt of him pining her to a tree with his massive body ad ravaging her. And another dream of him picking her small frame up, so tiny her head reached only his chest, and kissed her without permission, holding her small body hostage as he pushed her against a wall as he indulged in her. Both dreams had woken her up, drenched in sweat and grinning like mad. That was the kind of man she wanted.

"Well if your really asking for ideas then you could go for a jog, do some training, lift something to make those muscles work. I don't know Flynn. I'm just a cute face and a hot body. Not your life coach."

Flynn approaches her, furrowing his eyebrows together before grabbing her chin, making her look up into his eyes. "I had this idea of ripping your clothes off and pinning you to a tree.." He growls quietly. His face is inches from hers, then he lets go, turning and walking back to the tree he had been at.

He shrugs. "I doubt you'd enjoy that, we'd have to think of something else.." He says teasingly, crossing his arms over his chest and watching her.

Her heart all but stops as electricity jolts through he from his touch, his eyes dark lakes she could get lost swimming in. When he lets her go everything feels a tad colder and it's all Hayley can do to get a hold of her composure before he notices.

"Well since you think I wouldnt like that maybe a good ol study date is what we need. Go to the library. Ignore each other and read some books. Good ol boring stuff must be what your into right?"

She shrugged and started to walk away back to the cave, baiting him to follow or let her walk.

He walks next to her, putting an arm around her shoulder before steering her in the opposite direction. "Hilarious. Yeah, sure, I love books." He says with the roll of his eyes. He chuckles. "Your humor never fails to entertain, Princess." He says before letting go of her, walking away form the cave system still.

"The outdoors is where a wolf belongs.. I hate being cooped up in that cave all day." He groans, stretching his hands over his head. "So I was thinking.. Since we can't mate because your entire pack will rip my throat out.. Wouldn't stop us from.."

All of a sudden he pushes her against a tree, his body pinning hers to it, his lips pressing to hers, his hand on her throat to keep her from moving. He growls lowly as their lips connect, as if releasing an inner demon.

38616f1a5b2a88a7b4c3dd0f3ef88a57.jpg

There's a single second of confusion, lost in the rush as her back hits the tree, well out of sight and hearing of the White Guards. Even when his mouth smothers her she hesitates, her brain slow to update. Then it all rushes in, the smell of his skin - like dew pelted rocks and fir trees- and the roughness of his beard scratching against her freckled skin. She's barely half his size, easily smothered by him as he pressed against her but to Hayley there is no panic. Instead Flynn's finally found her style...her turn on. Her lips press back in a blaze, her hands working into his tuff of hair, thumbs running along his tattoos as she stood on tip toe, barely able to reach his lips. His warm hand on her throat pleases her, making her nipples harden, and her breath shorten.

With little effort she uses her hands on his head and the tree behind her as balance as she jumps up and wraps her small slender legs around his wide torso, pulling her up more so she's at his height finally. It only brings them closer, the little red head enwrapped in the strong brute of a wolf, her little body swimming inside his arms. Hayley had never kissed, never done anything like this with a man. But no man had figured her out like Flynn had...

Finding no need for restrictions, Flynn's free hand rips her shirt from her body, casting it aside as they continue to kiss, his hand feels her hardened nipples, only encouraging him to go further as his hand moves down, ripping off her pants.

He does the same for his shirt, tearing it off as his tongue slips out of his mouth and into hers, immediately exploring as he had been dying to do, his hold on her neck tightens a little every once in awhile as he can tell it is turning her on from her heartbeat.

His free hand explores her naked body, she had been such a tease the week before but it was time for Flynn to take control, which is exactly what he is planning to do.

hattiewatson_zps9dq5lahf.jpg

She'd never had been touched or handled this way, how rough yet gentle he was, how confident he was in his actions. It excited her very being, making her kiss him with more enthusiasm, her body pressed tightly to his. Flynn knew better than to go to low...touching down there was a act of commitment. And sex was the final ritual to mating. He could touch her skin and hold her body, but he couldn't play. Not yet anyways...

She started a low groan when his fingers skimmed her breasts, the feel of his callused hands arousing her further. Then out of nowhere her ears caught the sound of Jeziah's voice calling her name, obviously looking for her.

"Shit," she swore, pulling her head back even though his other hand remained on her throat, "We can't be seen Flynn."

There were no doubts in her mind her father would murder Flynn if he knew what just happened. She jumped off the man, scooping her clothing and tugging it on while throwing his shirt to him. By the time she was dressed she could hear Jeziah's footsteps getting closer.

"So you want me to take my left arm and block the punch right?" she said a little loudly, giving him a look that meant 'play along', "Or is it my right arm?"

Flynn groans as the boy's voice gets closer, he wishes he could make the boy vanish into thin air and continue kissing Hayley as if nothing had happened.

He pulls his shirt on quickly before nodding at her look. "Your left arm." He says to her. "You ought to remember that." He says before throwing a weak punch in her direction as Jeziah sees them.

She could easily block it, so he nods in approval. "Excellent, you're learning." He says before leaning agaisnt a tree, looking over at Jeziah. "Any reason you're interrupting my lessons?" He asks with the raise of his eyebrows.

Back
Top Bottom