Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Tale of Two Lives (BurningWillows & Rskde)

570full-joe-manganiello.jpg

"Of course. We will send scouts, possible a few of the White Guard. So my brother's words are true," Gareth smiled, "Which means I am due to be an uncle. Congratulations Christian. Is she far along?"

27.07.1520-201_zpspvjemoq5.jpg

Kayden tuned the rest of the conversation out, running along to find the four contestants. To her luck she found them in the Pit, all practising their fighting skills, possibly due to the recent attack. Stephen, of course, sat on the sidelines. Kayden wasn't enthralled with him.

"Gentlemen," she nodded as she descended the stairs, putting on her fake persona, "I have news."

She waited till they had all stopped, getting a nice glimpse of the sweat dripping down their three gorgeous bodies. Even Bear looked good.

"The Third Trial commences in two days," she announced, "Yes, it is the Trial of combat. But no one can be killed. When your opponent is unconscious or unwilling to stand is when they are out. The last still standing wins. And the runner up remains as well. There are only two spots left."

Lukai and Bear nodded, returning to their fighting. While they weren't paying attention Katerina stepped up and gave Dominik a note saying nothing. Then she left. Inside the note was the simple words Library. One hour. -Kayden. The fact 'Katerina' had given him this was risque, but she wanted to see him as herself and thank him for the night before, for protecting her.

However Stephen had seen the exchange. Bear and Lukai were too busy fighting to care or notice but Stephen got up, strutting to Dominik.

"What did she give you?"

Daniel-Gillies_zps6mtt1mow.jpg

Dominik takes the note without a word, looking at it and reading it quickly before closing it, hearing the approaching footsteps of the weasel. He turns his head to Stephen, raising his eyebrows. "Is it any of your concern?" He asks him, slipping the note into his pocket and keeping his hand on it, knowing that Stephen would be unable to move his strong arm.

"You should get training for the trial Stephen, otherwise you'll be on the floor bleeding." Dominik says to him quietly, motioning to the obviously superior opponents in front of them.

Oscars-weekend-chris-wood-38181551-600-796.jpg

Christian nods. "She's only a couple of weeks in so far, so maybe in a month and a half? That's the best guess." He says to the man standing in front of him. "But I'm worried, all of this violence could pull our warriors away from protecting the pack, including myself.. And I couldn't imagine leaving Ivory to fend for herself.." He says while running a hand through his hair.

tumblr_nwutnoz4mf1s8og9oo1_500.jpg

Stephen tried to swipe the note, almost catching it before Dominik put it away.

"It is my concern," he sneered, "It looks like you are cheating, by gaining her favor. And you aren't even suppose to be winning this. You can't win this, I won't have it. You are here to protect me. Or...I'll expose you."

"Expose what?" Lukai stepped up, catching the last of the conversation.

"He's getting notes from Katerina. I think he's cheating the game and she's giving him hints."

Bear joined as Lukai chewed the words, "I don't think Dominik's the kind the cheat Stephen, your just nervous about the fight."

"Check his note then," Stephen snapped, "If he isn't cheating, he has nothing to hide."

Lukai and Bear looked towards Dominik, "He has a point man. Just show us the note so this weasel can leave us all be."

"I'm not a-"

Bear cut him off, "Show us the note Dom. Ignore the twerp."

570full-joe-manganiello.jpg

"Assign a detail to her, one that will not leave her side. My mate died the last time the clan was at odds. I left her alone while I tended to one of the packs and there was an attack. Your aunt didn't survive, because the men I stationed at her door were pulled away to fight."

Gareth had lived within the Eastern pack for many years before finally moving to the North to be at his brother's side, conveniently after his mate's passing.

"If Issac understands anything, he'll understand your need to protect your mate. His died, as did mine. Don't make our mistakes."

Clapping him on the back Gareth left, leaving Christian alone as he tended to other business.

"Listen here you little-" He gets interrupted by Lukai anf Bear as they walk over to them, immediately putting the pressure on him. Dominik actually wants to hurt Stephen now, he doesn't care about the money.

Dominik raises his eyebrows at the people around him. "It's not from Katerina." He says to them. "And how would I cheat in a Trial that requires me to knock you all on your asses?" He asks with a laugh, trying to take their attention away from the topic.

6cb50cae7d5283e22011bf006b850c95_zpspublmuu6.jpg

Lukai looked concerned, "Why is our Alpha-to-be giving you notes from another? Dominik just show us the message."

Stephen sneered, "Yeah, show us what your hiding."

Dominik sighs and takes out the note showing it to them. "It's from her sister Kayden, she probably just wants to thank me for protecting her in the attack last night." He explains with the roll of his eyes.

He snatches the note back and shoves it back into his pocket. "Happy? I'm not cheating." He says with the shake of his head.

Lukai nodded, "Handle that carefully. Don't let her gratitude become affection. I don't think Issac would like a candidate committing treason with his daughter."

"Didn't even know she had a twin," Bear shrugged, "Girl's a ghost."

As Lukai and Bear moved away to train again Stephen gave Dominik a dirty look, "Watch your step." Then walked away.

Kayden was waiting patiently in the library, at a far back corner where there was a small oak table covered in parchment, charcoals, and paints. No one ever ventured that far into the back of the library, so the spot had become her own kind of paradise when life got hard. After changing clothes so Dominik wouldn't question it again she slipped to her little spot and waited, deciding to do some art work. It kept her calm and was the only hobby she truly held dear. Most of her finished artwork was now in her room, but she did all the work within the library. As she waited she started to draw aimlessly with charcoal, not realizing till she was almost finished that she had been drawing Dominik...the Dominik from her dreams. Shirtless with dark eyes and a devilish grin, his body ever so muscular. A blush crept on her face as she realized what she had drawn, but her eyes were glued to it, unaware the hour had passed and Dominik could appear and see the near erotic portrait she'd drawn.

Dominik just nods before leaving the Pit. He walks to his quarters and sits around for about an hour before leaving his room and walking to the library. He silently looks around for a little while until he sees her staring at a parchment.

He sneaks around her, seeing the picture of him and raising his eyebrows. He walks over to her and sits down next to her, leaning forward and pressing his lips to hers, a part of him terrified of the action as he knows it could easily get him killed.

I have to be dreaming. It was the only explanation she had as she lowered the parchment to find his face there, and then his lips...just like in her dream his lips smothered hers without question. Logic demanded she stop, that this couldn't be a dream and she was committing a crime.

What crime though? He's a contestant. I'm pretending to be my sister. This could work.

It was skewed logic, but hormones were driving her now, wanting to play out this dream of hers as her hands reached up and grabbed fistfuls of his shirt, dragging him in while simultaneously leaning over the table. One hand let go to shove pencils, charcoals and papers off, clearing the table as she dragged Dominik over her, her mouth to his like glue, her tongue flickering out to taste him. She forgot where she was, who she was, what she was doing. She just wanted to feel this, wanted to experience what she'd been dreaming about for days now.

Dominik is a little surprised at her reaction, as she had beforehand told him that he couldn't even go into her room because of the law. He pushes those thoughts aside and places his hands on her hips, pushing her back against the table as they kiss.

His mouth opens to greet her tongue, wrestling with hers in the space between their connected mouths, though there isn't much space there to begin with.

He breaks away after a minute or so. "Kayden.. We could go to my room to continue this.. Someone could catch us here." He mumbles, pressing his lips against hers one more time, seemingly addicted to the taste.

His words broke the spell on her, and her eyes popped open as she pushed him off.

"Oh god," she groaned, jumping off the table and scrambling to clean off, "That was a mistake. I mean, I shouldn't have done that. We could get in trouble."

She cleaned up, looking terrified, "I meant to thank you for last night. I didn't mean...I mean...Dominik we can't. You're a candidate."

He sits back in his chair, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion, this girl is pretty confusing to him, and she never seemed to have a straight idea, if she didn't want to kiss him, why didn't she just push him off and slap him in the first place?

"I-" He cuts himself off. "I.. I figured you wanted to do that because of the drawings.. And your words last night.. And.." He sighs, running a hand down his face.

"My words last night?" a look of confusion turned to more embarrassment as she realized she had been talking in her sleep, "you heard all that?"

Shit.

She wished he hadn't said a word. She'd been happily oblivious, under his spell when he had kissed her. It was that break, his words that brought her to her senses. And now the man was confused.

"You're hot Dominik. And the mystery bad but good guy act you have is a turn on...but I can't do this...to my sister," she added the last part just to sound convincing, "I should go."

Leaving the drawing of him behind she fled the library, not stopping till she was in Katerina's room. She didn't even check to see if she was followed, just running full out to the room and locking herself inside.

"What am I doing?" Kayden groaned, running fingers through her hair, "Kissing Dominik? He's a candidate! But he's also an amazing kisser. God Kayden get a grip of yourself, I can't have that. Not as me."

She sat on the bed, "But I could choose him as Katerina. If I did I'd be living a lie. And what if he likes me more than he likes my sister. Or who he thinks is my sister. How can I live this lie forever?"

tumblr_nwutnoz4mf1s8og9oo1_500.jpg

Outside her room Stephen was spying, hearing all she had to say. He had followed Dominik and caught them kissing, and if that wasn't leverage enough on the demon, he now knew the biggest secret yet. One that could guarantee him power, Dominik's obedience, and Katerina's - Kayden's - hand.

"Yeah, I heard all of it, I couldn't sleep with all of the wolves dying outside." He says quietly, watching her with confusion still lacing his eyes, as if he isn't as sure any more, the calm and level headed guy had taken cover for now.

He watches her go, deciding to slowly follow her, but he doesn't see her duck into Katerina's room.. He does however spot the little spy outside. He walks up to him, grabbing him by the hem of his shirt and lifting him so his feet aren't touching the ground.

He slams Stephen's back against the wall. "You little fucking twerp, what the fuck do you think you're doing, spying?" He asks before slamming him against the wall again. "You're risking everything your father set up for you, by being a little brat and by fucking up at every turn, the whole fucking reason you need me is because without me you wouldn't be this far along, would you?" He yells at him.

"You EVER disrespect me like that again I will kill you and make sure nobody finds the body, you will be a fucking disgrace to your family!"

Kayden hears the yelling and all but rushes to the door, throwing it open to find Stephen and Dominik outside.

"What the hell is going on?" she snapped, and a small voice reminded her to act like Nina.

"He's nuts!" Stephen looked scared, "I was passing by and he attacked me. I have no idea why."

"Dominik put him down!" she ordered, hoping he didn't recognize her hair and clothes were that which Kayden had been wearing in the library.

She waited till Stephen was set down then snapped at him, "Stop lurking. Go stay in your quarters until the Trial. Come out for meals, but if I see you in the hall on down time I'll be furious."

Stephen bolted away, taking his chance to get out of there.

"What's your problem?" she asked, her heart hammering. He looked even more stunning when angry, all his features sharper and more defined. But he couldn't know she knew exactly why he was pissed. She had to pretend she was oblivious.

Dominik drops the little bastard, watching him scamper away. His hands are clenched into fists, he had basically taken his anger out on Stephen, his fists unclench and he lets out a breath.

He looks up at her before raising his eyebrows. "Sorry, the boy had his ear pressed up against your door, and he was grinning like a madman, so I assume you said something aloud and he heard every word of it." He explains.

He runs his hands through his hair. "Sorry.. I'm just stressed out." He explains.

Every word? He couldn't possibly have heard...had he?

"Is it the trial coming up that you are worried about?" she asked, trying to disuade the conversation so Dominik didn't ask what she had been saying. If Stephen had heard, she was in more trouble then he could understand.

He nods. "It's.. Not going to be fun for me." He explains, he couldn't tell her that he had to purposefully throw the competition, unless he gets paired up with Bear or Lukai, which means Stepgen would be eliminated any way.

"You are as tough as Bear or Lukai. You can win as much as they can, if you give the effort."

She looked over his shoulder to where Stephen had disappeared to, "I need to speak to Stephen about what he heard. I will see you in two days time Dominik. Good luck."

She excused herself and left, following Stephen's trail to his room. She found him there, catching him off guard as all her daily training lessons came into effect, shoving him into the ground and pinning him, then wrenching back his arms till it hurt.

"What did you hear?" she growled, "tell me or I'll kill you here and now."

It was an empty threat but he didn't need to know that."

"I know who you are," he laughed, then cried in pain when she pulled harder, "I know who you really are. Who you are pretending to be."

Kayden's face went dark, "I wouldn't be laughing if I were you."

~

Kayden had no choice but to bring him to Issac. Christian and Gareth weren't called for, just Issac. Her father promised to handle it, and that she should be more careful, then dismissed her. From all Kayden could guess, Issac would either swear him to secrecy, or worse make him forget. To change any wolf's memory was a power only Alpha's held, but it took immense amounts of time and strength. He couldn't just erase it. He had to order Stephen to remember every second of the memory differently, which meant sitting through and analyzing every inch of the memory.

As for Kayden she decided it was best to stay hidden. Dominik was confused about her, Stephen was in more trouble than ever, and the last thing she needed was for "Katerina" to make matter worse. Kayden didn't surface till the day of the Trial, when the pack began to filter into the Pit, and Katerina was already there on the throne seat, alone. The candidates were there too, waiting.

Once everyone had settled her voice boomed through the room, "The third Trial shall be of strength. This is a combat Trial, but one of mercy. Should anyone die, the challenger is eliminated. The winner will be the last one standing, when the other three are unconscious or unwilling to stand up. Only two will continue from this Trial. If any man wishes to turn into a wolf, they may do so without interruption. A man who attacks a wolf in Change is weak and cowardly."

The crowd all nodded in agreement so Katerina stood and walked to each challenger, kissing them on the cheek and whispering a final word. To Bear she simply said good luck, to Lukai she winked and hoped him the best. To Stephen she did not kiss him as much as the air near his face, whispering he was lucky to be alive. And to Dominik, who at this point took her breath away.

"Be careful," she whispered in his ear as she kissed his cheek, "I hope you win."

She pressed another note in his hand then moved away, giving him a second to look at it by distracting the crowd, "Are you ready everyone?"

The crowd roared, giving him seconds to read the note. Kayden had been thinking for two days over it, and it had caused her great pain to write it, but she knew...she knew he needed to know.

Dominik, You need to know this before the Trial. I am Kayden. There is no Katerina. And I do want you. I just don't want to see you dead. Win, and I'll explain all. -K

As she moved away Stephen leaned over to whisper to Dominik, just low enough for him to hear like Katerina had used her voice, "Remember the plan. You take out Bear and then let me take you out. My father has your money waiting, and you can be done with all this."

"Men," Katerina turned, "Let the Trial...began!"

Dominik stands in line with the other candidates, looking around at the crowd. He watches Katerina approach, shaking his head as she doesn't even kiss Stephen.

He keeps the note in his hand while listening to Stephen, knowing better than to let him see it. When the boy turns away he reads it, quickly shoving it into his pocket.. He has to win this.

The candidates all run at each other the moment the referee yells for them to start, Lukai immediately starts to attack Stephen, keeping him away so that Lukai could just stand and watch the fight, nobody would be willing to challenge his dominance.

He stands in the ring, in front of Bear but neither of them change, Dominik is glad for this fact. His hands start to heat up, though it is not noticeable from the outside view. Bear lunges and Dominik smashes his hand against the side of Bear's face, leaving a very hot and red mark. The wolf cries out and falls, holding the side of his head.

Dominik simply approaches and slams his foot into Bear's face, the wolf goes unconcious.

Stephen however, changes into his wolf form, while he does this Dominik allows his body to heat up, if Stephen were to attack first he would have a surprise coming to him.

Once Stephen has finished changing he charges Dominik, biting his arm, but yelping and falling back as he does so. This would've looked strange if Dominik hadn't slammed the palm of his hand on to the top of the wolf's head. Dominik walks back, blood dripping down his arm from the bite.

Stephen seems to be glaring at him, as if he knows that Dominik is no longer on his side. Dominik runs forward and growls as he kicks Stephen in the snout, four of his many teeth fly out, hitting the ground before Stephen is unconcious from the blood loss.

Dominik walks over to the waiting area while Stephen is dragged away by the guards, he is to go to the infirmary.

This leaves Lukai and Dominik, the last two standing, but there is no more fighting to be done.

When Katerina announces the start the four run at each other but Lukai is quick to elbow Stephen in the nose, sending him sprawling. Instead of turning on Bear and Dominik though he slipped back and dropped, pulling his clothing off as he curled up and let the Change take him. It always took even the most experienced wolf a few minutes, and he could feel many girls oogle him for the first few seconds as he knelt there naked. Then his bones started crunching and breaking and eyes turned away, giving him a sliver of privacy.

When he did rose, he could see Bear unconscious on the side of the ring, while Stephen was being dragged to the side in his own wolf form, two of their medics taking a look at him. They wouldn't be able to give him his teeth back, but they could make sure nothing was broken or dislocated as his healing took into effect.

As for Lukai he turned and rushed Dominik from behind, the man still proud over his two wins to realize the fight was not over. The princess had said one could win, and one would pass, even though they lost. It was seen now who would continue, but the men still needed to show who was stronger.

Lukai lunged, using all his weight to hit the man and knock him down. Lukai was a born and raised fighter, spending his whole life training. To say this Trial was leaning towards him was an understatement. If Dominik hadn't taken Bear and Stephen out, Lukai easily could.

He had seen what Dominik had done to Stephen with his hands, so Lukai attacked those first, his teeth bearing down on the man's wrists and snapping them, breaking both his hands. Dominik was now face down in the dirt, his wrists broken and healing slowly as Lukai sat on his back, keeping him pinned. Just when he thought he could win Bear woke and rose, and Lukai didn't need competition. Rushing him, Lukai barrel drove him in the chest, knocking the wind out of the red head and pushing him back down, so he lay sprawled on the ground. He let out a long howl, and many joined him as Lukai's voice rang clear, a sign he was winning.

Turning back he lowered himself and watched Dominik, baiting the man to rise once more...if he dared.

Dominik feels the hit from behind, knocking the breath from his lungs. He cries out in pain as he feels both of his wrists breaking, though they begin healing he still has Lukai on his back. He lets out a breath of relief when Lukai jumps off of his back to go and attack Bear, giving Dominik a moment to recuperate his strength.

His body heats up again, making sure that Lukai wouldn't be able to pull another fast one without paying for it. He curls his legs under his chest and uses them to rise to his knees, then back to his feet, his wrists still uselessly broken. He growls at Lukai, he would only be able to use his feet for this battle, as changing would only make things worse, his front two paws would be useless.

He charges the wolf, spinning and slamming the bony part of the back of his foot into the top of Lukai's head before backing off quickly, tracing around the edge of the arena while growling. The fact that his body had heated up and the force of his kick would be enough to send a wolf like Bear to the infirmary, but Lukai is stronger than that, and both of them know it.

Lukai lets out a whimper when he gets hit, but it quickly turns into a growl. The man is using something to cheat, his body too warm to be normal. But as a wolf he could say nothing, so he needed to teach this cheater a lesson. Lukai's been through worse heat though, one of the many parts of becoming a true warrior. His body is prepared for most heats, and now that he knows its coming he can steal himself for it. The wounds still stings, but he's able to ignore it, pushing the pain to the back of his mind to focus on the fight.

He circles Dominik, snarling and snapping. The audience is leaning forward, wondering which man would win.

Lukai charges, getting within a foot of the man and feigning left, then charging and turning right, hitting Dominik square in the right shoulder. His teeth sink into the man's knees, knowing his legs are his only defense now. Take them out and Lukai wins. Releasing Dominik's knee he dances back, staying far enough away to not get hit, waiting to see how Dominik reacted.

Dominik circles with Lukai, hoping that any attack made would be foiled by his power. His hope is not conceived as the wolf dodges his initial attack and latches on to his knee, his left wrist is fixed from his speedy recovery, but now his knee is busted.

Dominik limps back a little bit, but he ignores the pain, it's his time to strike. He dashes towards the wolf, using his one arm to fall on, then spinning as both of his feet slam into Lukai's side, then he flips back, landing on his good leg in order to get away from the wolf.

He would have to use guerilla tactics, strike once, move away, only to keep doing the same thing, a prolonged engagement would have him severely wounded.

Back
Top Bottom