Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fantasy Mercs OOC

B

Broomhandle45

Here is the Setting information.

Character Thread DISCUSS ALL CHARACTER RELATED QUESTIONS HERE PLEASE.

So, to give some background into the actual set up, everyone will be in the Black Lion mercenary company. My character is going to be involving herself as the leader of the Black Lions, and the reason for this is two fold.

1. Well, I also want to play in this because it's my world, dammit. Given her role and her importance, yes, she is going to be pretty competent comparatively, but this should be balanced out by the fact that she won't always be on the front lines, so don't be upset that your mercenary leader woman is better than you at something (she is a leader of mercenaries, I kinda feel like she should have a reason or two for being lead other than being the leader)

2. I want to give people an anchor for the plot, and not only that, kind of a network to allow them the freedom to actually roleplay their characters if they so choose, and sort of allow me to gently nudge the story along at a pace people are comfortable with, since she is the leader lady, not a lot can happen without her approval.

Think of it like...my character is the main plot person you talk to to move things along in JRPGs, and until then, time is at a weird standstill. It's not going to be exactly that, but don't feel extremely constrained. As long as everyone is comfortable with the pace, I'll make sure to ask here. But I'm not going to let it just kind of devolve into whatever.

I do intend to move things along, but I don't want people to be jarred out of their shit to do it. The trick here is that I would prefer everyone moving together as a unit of people for fluidity, which I know isn't always possible, but I would prefer it as much as we can to just keep everyone on the same page so we're not qoute hopping over posts, everyone moving together is a solid idea. Since they're a mercenary band in the first place, it'd make a measure of sense that people would be unified in wanting to help their brothers in arms.

Plot Progression should be as thus

Point A (The start)---------------(Things that may or may not contribute to furthering the plot, I will list out things that help if people want to engage their character in it)---------------------------Point B (The resolution)

Imagine it like starting a storyline, and having sidequests that contribute to the drive of the whole thing. Now, it's important to remember that the side things are entirely optional. The assumption here is that the Black Lions are doing it regardless, which means that your characters CAN help, you guys can decide something else to do. If you guys want to do a totally linear thing, I am perfectly okay with that, if you want some wiggle room, we can figure it out too. I realize I am being slightly paradoxical, but I feel this is the best method that we, together as a group realize what we want to do for a more solid experience. If you guys just wanna pud around as your characters, interact and engage, that's totally possible, if you want to use the little bullet points to move the plot along as the interaction facets, that'd probably work great. This is definitely going to be a little bit of a rough experiment.

That being said, if you guys have any curious questions or whatever, let me know. Consider this a "1.0", I'll probably add more as time goes on, same with character creation once I know how things will go. The setting information is not exhaustive, of course, but it should be enough to get the ball rolling. I wanted to leave some for my character to explain, but this SHOULD be enough for people to feel like their character is part of the world.

EDIT-

I completely forgot to mention my plans for how the battles will actually go. In a perfect world, I'm hoping to have everyone operate under the thought that their post is basically a 'turn', and at the end, I meld it all together with the enemy turn, taking my FFT roots to it's core here. Now, if that actually works well? That's another story, but that's what I'm going to try and do for some fluidity, to make the battles feel like they're happening in a semi-scattered and semi-organized fashion for both readability and dynamic understanding.

Also, this way I can reliably adjust things in terms of encounters and whatnot without ruining much of the suspense. I'm not going to kill anyone, but I think it might encourage more cooperative play if I had control of the enemies instead of everyone off doing their own thing like chickens with their heads cut off.

Well, if my counting is correct, I should be one of the five who are actually in the thing... In this case, the plan sounds pretty good so far. I'm eager to see how this turns out.

Wrapping my brain over the setting, I am mildly curious of the main conflicts between Albion and Furese; whom would we from the start be associated with at least in regards to the first mission. I presume we are partially neutral to an extent.

We are completely neutral, there's no real favoritism to be had. Characters can have a preference, however. But the work won't, we may do something with Albion one job and then Furese the next. It's important to keep in mind however, that the war on both sides is politically and functionally the same thing. There's no real 'better side', it's a bunch of rich people wanting more property because they have the right to claim it due to intermingled bloodlines and everyone else is caught in the middle of it.

However, that sort of knowledge is probably blurred by loyalties, propaganda and so on. Some may not care, others might, either way, my character (so extension, the Black Lions) are going to be 100% neutral. This can always change, nothing is set in stone, but that's the plan currently.

Updated the post because I forgot about pointing out battles, derp.

This is all items which we have discussed between ourselves. It's good to finally share it with the rest of the group.

Updated the above post with character thread, take a look at it, give feedback here, discuss characters, etc.

Do you consider Blue Mages as a possibility? If you do, any idea on how their whole "learning" system would apply over or even if the character would have some prior skills. (I do plan on making him around 26-30 years old.)

Extensive character creation, feels approximately like the gurp system with how +s and -s are utilized. Still it shall be fun to craft an assassin type for your game. But hey its manageable for the system.

Edit:: Never touched this system you used.

I have mild thoughts for Blue Magic and Time Magic, but at the moment I'm unsure how to reliably implement them at the given time without making them incredibly...effective without them being useless. But as I said, if I update options, I'll give people the ability to switch stuff around if they so choose and implement it as part of their character backstory, so don't entirely feel like you're slammed into a particular type of magic. Magic's gonna be the hard one for me to just figure out properly. As for learning (As in, learning new things when things are updated) just kind of a progression of time, I assume. I'm not going to be incredibly anal about advancing ages in a numerical sense, but time will pass if people are trying to learn new shit that takes time, of course.

So on average though its looking closer to 0 for a character...exactly what do you deem as not too extreme between all the pluses and minuses? For example I imagine more okay with a flawed character with multiple -3 vs say stacking on the incredible abilities. Mainly just scanning everything at the moment.

Depends on your flaws, because if you make too many flaws you're going to be functionally useless as a mercenary for a wide number of reasons. Keep in mind that people SHOULD make characters that can interact with others, the main thought process behind the character creation was to allow a fleshed out theme without leaning on extremes on either side of the spectrum. Likewise, it's about coherency as a group. One very important thing to keep in mind is that all of you will be working together, on the regular, all the time. If you make a character that is extremely unfun for other people to interact with, then that's going to be a problem. This isn't going to be a group roleplay where everyone will be doing something different, imagine it like an RPG, everyone is going to be doing everything together, I prefer that and since I'm running it, that's how we're swinging it. It'll make the story stronger and the interaction better.

So avoid building Frank Castle the Mercenary with a light fuse for pedophilia, rape, larceny, etc. I saw mention of the skill Walking Arsenal. What would that exactly mean referring to a technological ( Marleni) wielding assassin. Almost getting Corvo from Dishonored feels on imagery.

It means whatever you want it to mean, the key here is 'thematic', but the walking arsenal skill requires some reasonable understanding. Marleni would be more at home with guns, but that doesn't mean they couldn't use something like a fancy compound bow, a crossbow...you know, whatever is clever. I don't know if Dishonored is a place to pull from, entirely, but a little bit? But yes, Walking Arsenal is whatever someone could realistically carry with other things without it being a serious encumbrance.

Made an extremely basic and rough concept of what my character could be. Please, do read this with the knowledge that it's the equivalent of the ore being removed from the Earth: Completely unpolished and with very little work done on it.

Name: Lutevic Alard
Job: Mercenary spellcaster
Place of origin: Albion, Capital of Albion.
Race & Ethnicity: Human, Erebu.

Human noble who was framed by another noble for some major crime in order to grow in political power. Lutevic couldn't prove innocence because at the time of the crime he was sleeping with the wife of another noble and exposing that would result in sinking his family as a whole, as well as make the other family bound to hunt him to death, even without sufficient proof to condemn him. He ran away to Furese, therefore losing his title and fortune but protecting his family from prosecution and settling his debt with justice. Due to the scandalous nature of the event and the propaganda that has been spread by his rival(Will probably be lvl 3 Rival trait), the history became very popular and well-known amount the capital and other parts of Albion, painting him with infamy across the realm. Once in Furese, he met the Black Lion Mercenaries and it's leader, who brought him into the team, giving him a new life as a mage for hire. For that, he has grown highly faithful to Aelia, The Saint of Justice and believes that his moment of justice will come too, one day.

Any major problems on it so far? Again, I'll polish and work a lot more on the idea and the entire thing, as well as personality and appearance.

Looks good so far. I'm working on mine as we speak so people can kind of align their stories with how they met or what they did or etcera. As long as you add proper detail as to the names of these parties. I am also going to post the general idea behind the Black Lions in the character thread for people to understand what they are, how they do, etc.

Oh! Shit, I forgot to even say, if people have something they want to contribute to give their character a personal ability or weakness, just ask me. The system is pretty flexable (thematic and all) so I'm open to discussions, making Samren (the leader lady) has made me realize I forgot to mention that. Plus, as of right now I think there's more abilities than there are weaknesses. And I updated the CHaracter thread with the Black Lion leader, Samren. Note that I made her somewhat overadjusted compared to how I'd like you guys to be, because she is someone of notable importance and influence, I wanted to make sure she was a key user. If I did my math right, her zero score is 7 (which is, seven positive) Ideally, when you guys add up your strengths and weaknesses, I'd like to be closer than that. Five would be my comfort zone. But again, open to discussion, etc, etc.

Broomhandle45 said:
Oh! Shit, I forgot to even say, ...bop bip bop beep... Five would be my comfort zone. But again, open to discussion, etc, etc.

Ah yeah, no problem. I'll probably put my guy's faithfulness to the Saint as some kind of addiction or impulse on a matter of traits, assuring that he dedicates himself daily to ask her for Justice and blah blah.

Looking over things slowly I will say one trait I would place as high but customized would be Martial artist due to my RL knowledge regarding hand to hand combat and assume it exists. I may still shift my concept slightly... though another 1 was more akin to Unorthodox fighting style ( double jointed) if ever see certain fighting games with very flexible people. Debating on the arsenal, my brain picturing g like extension blades from the arms and legs with potential 12 inch chain that is linked.. Might be too high techish.. Still exploring things for this enslaved turn child soldier merc

I wrote this after getting out of work. More or less something like gauntlets and greaves of some design with openings that spring out limb width blades which extendsout with a chain attached to allow flail like attacks. Likely need to muster images ....again its thoughts for the moment. Realistically if you think of the mechanics of Assassin creed with their hidden blade, except more imposing in size and aligned to the forearm.

Well, there's only one issue, namely how far they'd go and what they'd be attached to, as in, what the actual 'chain' would be.

The chain itself was intended to be a foot at best and the chain are mechanically connected the device being a gauntlet/bracer combination. Again within the process of figuring out if I should mess with my concept more or subtract a few things.

Just making sure I get the statting right. So, is this fine should I wind up coming in? Making a healer.

Strength
Cute +1
Knowledge +1 (Anatomy)
Knowledge +1 (Diseases)
Arcane Knowledge +2 (Restorative)
Smart +1

Weakness
Code of Conduct -1 (Will not kill unless it's kill or be killed)
Pacifist -1
Kind Hearted -1
Naive -1

Pretty much, the idea is to balance out your strengths and weaknesses, you add more strength, you have to add more weaknesses.

Back
Top Bottom