Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Colliding Worlds (BurningWillows & Greeneyed23)

Marlon-Teixeira-Osmoze-Winter-2015-15-620x848.jpg

He was the first one into the bar, and it didn't phase him to hold the door open for the rest of the group. Instead Malakai charged in, his shaggy brown hair swishing left and right as he looked for a couple empty tables they could use.

"Over there," he mumbled to himself, spotting two square tables with several chairs being cleaned off and beelining for them.

"Kai!" the woman's voice was soft and easy on the ears, but their was fire in her tongue and his name came out sharply, "Hold a door open once in a while, seriously!"

He turned slightly so he could look over his shoulder and smile a white toothy grin at the short red head whose tempered flared as hot as her own skin. And that was saying something, being as she was no ordinary woman. Behind her the rest of the team gathered as well in the doorway, looking more like a ragtag team of misfits than an organized group of mercenaries for hire. There was no matching uniform or symbolic crest any of them wore. They all had on what they needed and nothing more, what would protect them in the harsh lands outside the city walls and benefit their...abilities. For Malakai, that was a simple pair of rugged jeans stained with mud and dirt, worn in combat boots, a black shirt and a denim jacket which was his newest touch. The angry redhead behind him was dressed with even less due to her above average heat. She wore a sweeping neckline black top with a belt around her waist that held it on, and a pair of grey tights ripped in several places, with knee high leather boots on.

bef60d8fbe3b24bc890ae742d5405e50.jpg

That pair of boots was stomping towards him now, getting closer as he snagged the two tables.

"You hit me in the face with a door," Seraphina snapped, her dark blue eyes narrowing at him.

"You should watch where you are walking then," he replied with a lazy grin, finding the situation all too funny.

With a roll of her eyes she dismissed him, her attention turning to the bar as Kai sat down and waved at the group, inviting them to sit down while their leader ordered drinks.

shhhh__i__m_a_werewolf_by_jrproducrions-d3bqyb3.jpg

Elaya rolled her eyes following the redhead and the flippant hillbilly.

She did not go to the table but instead to the bar and ordered everyone's drinks by rote. They always had the same thing. As the drinks were mixed and poured she carefully sniffed each one checking for poisons and drugs.

Seraphina claimed none could affect her but Elaya took no chances. Especially not right before a job. She gripped the tray and started for the table setting things out and intentionally avoiding Malakai's until last. She set his down and smiled at him sweetly as she whispered. "Do try to behave yourself. The client is here."

She sat across from Seraphina, sipping at her massive shot of whiskey. She rarely drank, and it didn't matter even when she did as even ten of these massive shots wouldn't reach her head, but she loved the smell. Reminded her of home.

She turned to watch the rest of the band troop in.

3fd92335a20779e5c3ce7f652fc621ee.jpg

Reynault, stupid name, was flirting with one of the bar girls. He wasn't glamoring her, yet, but he did have his skeletal fingers down the back of her skirt while his bright perfect smile warmed her heart. The girl was actually giggling and thrusting her tits up at him invitingly.

Elaya rolled her eyes and nudged Seraphina's foot under the table, directing her boss' eyes toward the vampire.

Reynault took no notice, his cross scar actually making him even more dangerously handsome as he spoke in soft French to the girl. Of course she didn't even know what the language was let alone speak any but the soft phrases seemed to be making her heart flutter.

Until Gerry kicked the vampire's ankle.

mercenary_by_trishkell-d3gmfk6.jpg

The hulking merc glowered at the shorter vampire. "Boss said no sucking in town before the job." His voice was curt, his eyes empty and cold, his massive rifle nearly touching the ceiling from it's place on his back.

Reynault grinned, this time showing fang. "Just preparing my evening meal Gerald."

Gerry grunted but said nothing, though his left hand had slipped down to one of his many hidden knives, and this one happened to be silver.

"Gentlemen Gentlemen that will do."

a753b67ff05819336600d443ba9f37f7.jpg

Elaya, Gerry, and Reynault all winced, and the girl began to cower and huddle into Reynault's chest, all ideas of sex and other joys forgotten, now just seeking protection as the third male entered the conversation.

He smiled warmly but the room had seemed to drop fifty degrees as chills struck everyone, save maybe Seraphina.

The newcomer spoke soft, and never made a move toward either of his swords, but his oily voice and his mere presence made every hair on Elaya's body stand on end.

"Gentlemen we have a client waiting for us. Do release the girl and let us join our fellow. I see that Miss Elaya has our drinks ready." He reached for the merc and the vamprie but they were both at the table and the girl vanishing behind the bar before he could touch them. He just smiled and walked on, plopping into the seat beside Malakai, knowing it would irritate the man.

"Hello Kai. No hug for your old friend Narxis?" That they had just arrived together did not matter. Narxis saw a chance for mischief and took it happily.

Elaya growled. "Where are the others?"

Narxis snickered. "Drea and our other water based associate and his diviness are discussing terms for the water with that scuzz Marcus. Should i call for our dear diety? She so loves to be...summoned."

Elaya rolled her eyes.

watergoddess1.jpg

Outside Duldrea, goddess of the Mississippi River, sighed as once again Marcus tried to deny her her rights. She had been simply drawing from the well when he had descended upon her demanding payment for using his well.

'"it is a public water source and i will use it as I see fit!" Her eyes began to flash and her hair was beginning to turn blue. Anyone who knew her would know trouble was brewing, especially when she was near so much water.

Marcus laughed. "Says who? Prove it's not my well and maybe you can have the water."

Drea's eyes snapped. She needed the feather head. he was always the best with rules and laws. Or the singer. She might dissuade this fool. Or not. Drea spotted the protective charms under his shirt and snarled a curse in a language no one else living knew.

Seraphina sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose in annoyance as her group makes a clear entrance, attracting pretty much everyone in the bar. Which for them, was not the best idea. Sure the inn accepted supernaturals, a rarity in some cities, and this was the only bar in town that mercenaries could come to for contracts. But that was just it. Any patron in the room was a mercenary or wasteland walker, looking for a new contract, or to find themselves a client. Many mercs worked alone, and others only in small groups of two or three. Seraphina's group was much, much larger. And notorious for it, known well throughout the community.

Which meant when they walked in a bar, it was almost a surefire thing that they had a new client lined up. And any merc in this room who hadn't known who they were, was clued in now.

"Things are about to get interesting," Sera sighed, "When I said come into the bar separate, it was not attract attention. Why is it only Elaya got that memo?"

"What's the big deal of a few mercs watching us?" Kai asked, leaning away from Narxis as he sat down, "Sorry mate, I only hug pretty girls. Like Elaya."

He winked at her, knowing he'd probably get no more than a glare, but he enjoyed getting under the werewolf's skin.

"The entire room is watching us Kai, which means they will be down our throats the minute we meet our client. Works sparse at times. And the client can now use this to her advantage and lower the pay, to the best bidder."

"What our lovely leader means to say is this is no longer just our contract. And if we do not proceed carefully, we may lose out on quite a bit of gold," a deep voice sunk into their bones, carrying weight as he sat down.

maxresdefault_zps59e1kzge.jpg

Amitiel took a seat beside Elaya, his cold eyes sweeping across the table before resting on his opposite, Narxis. While the demon enjoyed stirring a room, Amitiel wanted nothing but peace, void of mortal emotion so that only logic and calculation remained. He rose his drink - plain water - before him and nodded his head towards the demon before drinking, his eyes never leaving the one member of the group that he could not stand on the best of days.

"Narxis leave her be. She can handle herself," Seraphina instructed, staring at the tall beer in front of her, "I may six of these to get through this."

Seraphina was still new to leading. While she was powerful, she was also relatively bubbly and sassy, not hard and demanding. Their last leader had past a year ago in an accident on a contract. It had been up to the the group to vote in a new leader, and Elaya had been a close candidate.

"Elaya can you go find our last two girls? Boys, please keep an eye out for our client. Not that we know what she looks like..."

3abc2b74a46ab26f8a961054ce562ab6.jpg

Tatia rounded a corner of a house, wiping her smeared lipstick as a man stumbled away, looking pleased. Oh, how she loved to play with these morsels. But her team needed her, and she could not waste more time-

"You alright Duldrea?" she stopped in her tracks to look at her diety friend, her voice that of an angel's, like a gorgeous flute, soft and beautiful. Even those immune to her effects enjoyed hearing her speak.

She stepped towards the man, recognized as Marcus, and pursed her rosy lips, "Don't tell me your hoarding water now handsome. Us girls need our hydration."

While some accepted the new world they lived in, complete with supernaturals, many refused to accept that humans were no longer top of the food chain. And those sought out to make people like Tatia and Duldrea's life hard.

Elaya sprang to her feet. "Sure thing chief." She had never wanted the leadership role, and once free of it she had promised to Seraphina and herself to always obey any order with a will. She did nudge the table just a Narxis and Kai reached for their drinks, making the first slop onto it's owner's hand and the other spill into Kai's lap, but she scampered out the door before either could react.

Amitiel could not resist a smile despite himself seeing his nemesis discomfited. "How clumsy of you brother."

Narxis hissed, then grinned noting Kai's condition.

Outside Drea winced seeing Marcus flinch away from the siren. "Don't try to spell me sea-witch!"

Drea touched her friend's elbow, urging her to not react. Marcus was a fool but he was human and to attack him would bring only trouble.

As if summoned by the words Elaya walked up. "Well hello Marcus." She swept by the ladies grabbed his face and licked it. "See you next moon."

He screamed slapping at his face and fled.

Elaya turned to the others and smiled. "Get your water girls. Boss wants us inside. And fix your makeup T. Amitiel and Narxis are likely about to go at it and you know how feather head hates seeing you've been working."

Kai sighed, glaring at Elaya as she dodged out, then stood up with a loud huff.

"Well...I'll be in the bathroom trying to get the stench of whiskey out of my pants."

Sera could help but laugh at his annoyed expression, which made it hard to feel angry when the redhead giggled. Turning on his heel he strutted away, swerving around tables to the bathroom.

Tatia puckered her lower lip, put out that she had lost the fun in teasing Marcus.

"I wasn't going to hurt him, I swear. I'm a lover not a fighter."

Which was entirely untrue; Tatia was as deadly as she was sultry, able to spin a man in circles until he was drooling at her feet, then slit his throat when his guard was down. In the group, her expertise was intel and espionage, able to infiltrate, distract, and disarm. While each of the others had a strong fighting trait or ability to kill, Tatia had only her voice, a gift blessed to her by her mother. Still the smoking hot siren used it well, and it had saved them from a few tight spots before.

Pouting to Elaya worked about as well as glaring at a log would, which meant to say nothing would come of it. After a few seconds she sighed and shrugged, going to the well to rehydrate. While the siren did not need to be in water, she certainly needed to consume more than the average person. The consequences of starving herself of that need were dire.

"I'll go soothe the boys," Tatia laughed, wiping the last smudge of lipstick away and trotting off, but not before kissing Elaya cheek, thanking her for stepping in with Marcus. Tatia was affectionate with everyone, her own way of showing who her friends were and weren't. Skipping inside, she bounced over to the table and dropped into Reynault's lap with a laugh, looking over at Narxis who happened to be sitting next to him.

"Where's your meal?" she purred to Reynault, ignoring Seraphina's exasperated sigh and noticing Narxis' eye roll, "Aw did Narxis scare her away?"

"Tatiania, this really isn't the time for you to be flirting with the group," Amitiel reprimanded, "Or for that matter anyone. If you could please contain yourself-"

"It's Tatia. Just Tatia. And I'm a siren," she sighed, having had this argument a million times with the angel, "Emotions are my forte, while as you contain as many feelings as a bloody spoon. Lay off Amitiel, I was only asking Reynault an innocent question."

Elaya smiled and shook her head watching the siren go. She turned to Drea. "All good?"

Drea waved her arms then drew them into circles about herself, drawing in large waves of water, though the well replenished itself just as quickly. Drea nodded smiling as her hair briefly gleamed bright blue, then fell into step with the golden eyed lady.

"yes. Enough for the group's needs, me and Tatia to live on, and me to fight with."

Elaya nodded and lay her arm about the goddess' waist. Drea blinked but Elaya flicked her eye toward another tavern where several rough men were watching them.

Drew started to turn to tell them off but Elaya drew her back tighter. "Let it go sweety."

Drew sighed, then lay her head on Elaya's shoulder. This made the point clear and they were left alone.

They entered the tavern just as Tatia fell into the same argument with Sera she so loved to have.

Reynault did look annoyed though. Elaya took her seat across from her boss, while Drea sat beside Sera, trying to ignore Reynault and Tatia.

The vampire did not answer the siren, his eyes narrowed as he tried to sit as far away from her as possible. "Get. Off. Me."

He wouldn't dare hurt the woman but he didn't like being touched without invitation and he didn't like Tatia's teasing at all, unaware that was precisely why she did it.

Narxis smirked seeing the vamp's discomfort. "Ever try siren Rey?"

Reynault snarled. "Water tastes like ass to vampires. You know that. And don't call me Rey."

"Sure thing Rey."

Things were about to nasty when Amitiel spoke. "leave him be. Seraphina i think the contract is coming down stairs."

"Pardon me, but I certainly do not taste like water. I'm a siren, not a fish."

She jumped off him, wrinkling her nose at the vampire before Seraphina gave her a look that told her to sit down and stop, as Amitiel was right.

"Please, behave for ten minutes guys. We have the entire bar watching."

She wasn't wrong. Tatia took a look around and noticed several eyes watching, hoping to swoop in and steal whatever contract they did indeed have. There was no more chairs at the table, so Tatia stole one and dragged it between the demon and the vampire, smiling brightly at both of them. As Kai swung back he grabbed one more chair for the contract, sitting it between him and Elaya, so that she'd be looking at Sera.

"Here we go," Tatia whispered, hearing soft footsteps approaching down the inn stairs.

4a7a9c746ab9bc4ad7b102894b5709ba.jpg

Magic was everything to this beauty. Well that, and the contents of the small wooden box she carried with her. As she stepped carefully down the stairs she felt eyes turn towards her, most moving away at once, recognizing the powerful sorceress. She wasn't well known in other parts, but within this city she was infamous. The sorceress wore her hair up to show off her fine jewels, as well as a plain white dress with an elaborate belt along her waist, full of color and pattern. The dress swung over one shoulder and down her back, leaving the other bare to show off her fair skin. She wore plenty of jewelrry, to compliment both her beauty and her outfit.

It was obvious the mercs she was after; they stuck out like a cow amongst chickens, their group so big. Nimbly she stepped towards them, people either moving out of her way or leaning as she passed, giving her ample space.

"Seraphina," her voice was airy and high, without a waver in it as she addressed the red head at the table, extending a hand, "My name is Lairia."

Elaya winced the moment she saw the sorceress, and whispered "Magic user."

She and Gerry shared a look then they both touched their charms, her's on her large purple ring, while Gerry's was tattooed on his chest.

Drea carefully made herself immune to all magical persuasion, while Reynault ignored it all, sipping at his Bleeding Mary. Amitiel prayed, guarding himself, while Narxis had to fasten on his binding link, trapping himself into a single form, but also preventing anyone from summoning or banishing him, no matter how powerful.

Now protected from their own client, they also began to glower at the other mercs. Elaya let her fingers ripple into the red and black fur her nails becoming six inch razor sharp talons.

Drea actually surreptitiously drew water and ice out of the drinks, while Gerry spilled his drink, and went to the bar for a refill, dropping several small metal balls around the room as he went.

While they made preparations, Renault flicked his eyes over to the siren. "Water based beings like you and blue-hair there always taste like water." he grinned, letting his fangs show. "You aren't the first siren I have....known, Tatiana." He purred her name, licking his fangs as he did so, a move carefully sensual but also plainly threatening.

Narxis chuckled. "So what is it like drinking watered down scotch?"

"More like drinking water with a drop or two of scotch in it. you can't detect the taste but what's the point."

Amitiel was clearly growing irritated but could not speak as the contract was nearly too them, and Sera was about to greet her.

Elaya did whisper, "Careful boss. I've heard stories about this one..." She hadn't been sure until she had seen mercs, many of whom she had met before, move out of the woman's path so quickly. Two of them at least she had seen face down whole herds of zombies, but this small pretty spit of a girl they all but fled from. That told Elaya all she needed to know.

**(When I write mobile I can't use photos...but I can still write :D)**

Sera watched her groups movements, all of them preparing for the worst. As for her she slimply waited, needing nothing to protect nor hold her to this plane. She could see Kai felt the same way, although his eyes never left the sorceress, carefully evaluating her every move. He nodded to Elayas words, having overheard them, agreeing that this woman was more dangerous than her pretty face entailed. As for Tatia, she shrunk back behind the vampire in her seat, knowing fully that she was useless in an close ranged fight with any supernatural, and it was best to stay out of the way.

"I'm not-" she tried to retort but a look from Sera cut her short.

As the blonde approached the table Seraphina sat forward, reaching out to shake her hand, "you made quite the entrance. I am Seraphina, these are my finest fighters. You are interested in our services?"

"Yes," the woman spoke, taking her seat, "I am Lairia, the only sorceress in this city. For good reason, of course. To make my point short, I must travel across lands to a city on the far western coast, to deliver this item."

She placed the box in front of her, daring them to reach for it, "I will not part with this until it is safe in its new owners hands. So I am in need of bodyguards to get me safely across these lands."

Elaya carefully clawed out a sign of protection between her and the box on the surface of the table. "You talking Ocean City or New Angeles?"

Reynault hummed softly, feigning boredom though willingly sitting forward to guard the siren. "I remember when Ocean City was Seattle. And New Angeles was still las Vegas. Shame about all those ocean side cities. But the New Pacific was hungry."

He said this softly but clearly and now looked around the room. "Anyone else remember that?"

Few would. It had been more than a hundred years before at the best guess. Only the long lived/immortal like the vampires and maybe phoenixes truly knew. But the statement had the desired affect. Several less daring souls made their way out the doors, or up the stairs getting out of sight and away from the possible oncoming fight.

Seraphina listened carefully, feigning mild interest. To cross the entire continent...that could take weeks. This wasn't old earth, where the lands were split by sea or ocean, conquered by different countries and governments. That was long ago. Now it was just one large continent made up of what was once the many smaller ones. The lands had collided, molding and shaping themselves as desired. Cities crushed or crumbled, mountains disappeared and new ones created. Only the lucky survived those times, and for the human race, it was almost their extinction. Almost. But through it all they prevailed, and the cities that hadn't been destroyed were populated and protected, great concrete walls built to keep the creatures from roaming through the streets. And it was at that time many supernaturals revealed themselves, able to survive the harsh new world.

Still, the human population greatly out ranked the supernatural ones. The cities were run and inhabited by mortals, and it took much work for a nonhuman to settle in one without being shooed away. Most supernaturals took to living outside the walls, either setting up home somewhere, or like this groups case, becoming travelling mercenaries for hire. And that was how this ragtag group had formed. For most of them, Sera knew they could remember the old world. The angel, demon, vampire and herself were centuries old, perhaps more for the first two. She was unsure about Kai, Tatia, and Elaya, but there was no way with any of their experience that they were as young as they looked. And then there was of course Gerry, the only mortal in the group.

"Ocean City," Lairia spoke, breaking through the Phoenix's thoughts, "I know it is quite far, which is why I wanted only the best."

Someone stood up then, coughing loudly before speaking in a rough accent, "If you need the best, you should inquire over here ma'am."

Sera winced internally, knowing this was the beginning of a brawl. Almost instantly two more men at two different tables stood and offered their services too, all of them looking to spill a little blood to get it. Sera couldn't tell who was human or non, in a packed bar like this it would be hard for even their best noses - Elaya and Malakai - to discern that. The Phoenix's eyes flickered to Tatia, who was more focused on the crowd than the sorceress, knowing her odds in a brawl were slim, and weighing her options.

Under her breath, and almost impossible to hear Sera whispered, "Rey, if fists fly you get Tatia out."

She placed both hands on the table, feeling the air around her growing hotter as her temperature rose, a sign that the tension in the room was unwelcome to Seraphina. Putting on her best smile she looked over Lairia before speaking calmly, "We can easily provide that service to you. But only if we get the original offer for pay, and we want half up front and half when we arrive in Ocean City."

Another man stood, this one heading right for the table, obviously drunk and wanting to fight. Sera's head snapped to Elaya, nodding at her in silent command, wanting the werewolf to handle things before the demon got a hold of him.

Elaya surpised those paying attention by not reacting to her boss's order but instead grabbing Gerry's drink and throwing it at him. "Fucker!"

As she did the angel and demon grabbed Laria, her box pressed into her middle, as the table was flung into the air, then kicked by the vampire, sailing over Sera and Drea, smashing into the men behind them. Reynaullt was out the door in a moment, with the angel and Demon right behind him and the siren in his arms, while Gerry, having fallen backward into a reverse somersault, slapped a button on his shoulder, the little metal balls exploding and filling the room with smoke.

Elaya howled so loud the whole building shook, and Gerry was suddenly at Sera's side, goggles over his eyes as he dragged her out of the smoke filled room. Drea cast water over the floor, then froze it, sliding out the door between Gerry's legs as the people inside howled in pain and fear, guided by the enraged snarls of a monstrous red and black wolf as she clawed about the room, knocking people aside.

As the sounds filled the air Narxis turned to the sorceress, drummed his fingers on the box and grinned. "So tell me is there actually anything in the box?"

Lairia's feet hit the ground and she turned in shock to stare at the chaos created in a matter of seconds. The noise, the people's fear, it pounded through her, making it almost impossible to breathe. Then her head snapped towards Narxis as he touched the box, anger dancing in her eyes.

"Abscondo" she breathed and the box disappeared in a blink of an eye before Lairia pointed an angry finger at Narxis and hit him in the chest, "Pulsus"

The demon fell back two steps as if he had been shoved with only her small finger. He looked at her in confusion, then a wicked smile, "Playing hard to get are we?"

"Mora! she snapped, waving her hands like she held a sphere.

Suddenly everything stopped. The sound of birds silent, the clouds in the sky frozen. The noise from inside the bar cut off so abruptly it left a ringing in Kai's ears. If he were to look inside he'd see the entire bar in frozen animation, all except the group and the sorceress.

"Is this how you conduct business?" Lairia turned, striding angrily towards Seraphina who was wedged between Kai and the rest, "Do you honestly think starting a brawl in a bar - that seemed very one sided, and completely unfair - is any way to convince a client to hire you?"

"Why...why did you stop time?" Kai asked, raising his hand in the air mockingly.

"I did not stop time," Lairia snapped, rolling her eyes at him, "I simply created a bubble that encompasses the bar and the street around us to freeze in time. When I pop the bubble, we will resume. Now enough with the idiotic questions-"

"We just saved your ass from an all out blood spill in there," Sera glared at her, fire dancing in her fingertips, "Note how no one is dead. Simple fear tactics."

"Well fear tactics can result in bad reputations, and I do indeed have a reputation in this city which I plan to uphold."

"By the looks of it, your reputation is driven by fear already," Tatia spoke up, still keeping to the back of the group.

"My reputation is of power, not fear. There is a fine difference in that," Lairia's retorted, crossing her arms in annoyance, "I was told you were the best mercs for a job, which is why you travel in such a large group."

"And we are," Kai shrugged, "What of it?"

Boy was he cocky. Lairia sighed, waving her hand in the air and just like that the chaos resumed in the bar. It died down as the smoke cleared and people realized the group was gone. But that still left Lairia with the decision, to go back in for a different less rambunctious hire, or to take the group standing in front of her gawking. Seraphina didn't want to keep her team waiting too long, knowing they needed a job so they could get out of the stuffy city and back to the world outside the walls they loved so much. It was deadly, unforgiving, and barren...but it was familiar.

"Did anyone actually die?" Sera asked under her breath to Elaya as they waited for Laira's choice, now curious to whether she had just lied to the sorceress or not.

Elaya came bounding out of the bar the moment the bubble popped snarling in rage. "Who the fuck!?"

She snarled even more when Drew pointed at the sorceress. She growled, but slowly transformed back to human form. "No. no one is dead. Didn't even spill a single drop of blood." her chest heaved as she glared at the sorceress, so clearly wanting to tear the woman's throat out.

"Whether you hire us or not you use time magic on me again i will kill you sorceress." Elaya was nearly foaming in her rage, her eyes wide and snapping in her anger. Gerry gulped nervously. Elaya rarely got angry and to be willing to voice such threats meant she was absolutely furious. It was clear she was ready to tear the sorceress to shreds, her hands still paws with talons pulsing with her enraged breath.

Reynault spoke very carefully. "lady sorceress meet Elaya Blood-Fur. Daughter of the Metuzi. Pack of unbroken claws. The magic hunters." Her group knew this, but the warning to the sorceress was clear. Elaya and her pack were notorious hunters and killers of magicians who harmed innocents. They had killed wizards, mages, and sorceresses of immense power. Elaya's own ring had belonged to a wizard who claimed to be a direct descendant and apprentice of Merlin himself. And now the sorceress had just used magic against them out of spite. The hatred in Elaya's eyes screamed, and only her respect for her leader and friend kept her in check. For now.

Lairia rose her chin, defiant to the threat present to her. No mutt was going to snap at her for her magic.

"I think this was a mistake," she spoke cooly, her voice like ice as she shot a glare at the werewolf, "I am looking for protection not aggression and threats."

"Get back here!" One man inside the bar yelled, obviously angry. A few more joined him, a mob forming against the group. Lairia knew it wouldn't be wise to stay for this; over half of the bar was supernatural and the rest ruthless killers. Even her magic had limits.

But before she could turn to flee the door burst open and men and women began pouring out, pushing the team further into the street as the crowd grew.

"Witch!" One of them snapped, believing it had been Lairia that had caused the ruckus, "you and your friends are goin' to get what's coming to ya."

This was getting out of hand. So much for an easy contract. Everyone was eager for a fight, and Lairia and Elaya were just looking for excuses to attack each other. It would become an all out blood bath if this continued, and this was one of the few cities nearby with good contracts for the most part.

"Hey handsome," Tatia pushed past Reynault and Gerry to sidle up to the leader of the mob, a hulking man with a bear and angry brown eyes. It wasn't the wisest choice and she saw from the corner of her eye Kai and Amitiel tense, ready to step in if she got hurt. Tatia was taking a risk, unable to tell if this man was mortal or not. Some species could hide themselves well, like Sera.

"How about you forget all this and come with me?" She purred, stroking his arm and batting her eyes, her voice thick like honey and beautiful -beautiful beyond words that it enticed every ear to listen, "I get awfully lonely in my room."

The mans angry brown eyes softened and he looked down at her with a easy grin, the damn fool was mortal. She beckoned him closer with her finger, his eyes trapped by hers. He wouldn't be able to look away or even hear anything else but her now, completely under her spell.

He leaned forward to kiss her and suddenly a knife slid out from under her belt, hidden before. With speed and Procision she arced up and sliced through his throat, blood spurting onto her face as the 6 foot man crumpled at the hand of the girl barely 5 feet tall.

"Whose next?" She giggled, licking blood off her lip as the crowd backed up several steps.

She looked back at her group, catching the wary gaze of the men. Even Kai looked nervous. Tatia was gamblin with this group. If they swarmed her she was toast, unable to fight without her tricks and surprises. And if that man hadn't been mortal he could have crushed her. It had been a risky gamble, one she'd get chewed out for later. At the moment tensions were still high, at any moment this fight could start...or end.

Elaya really wished Tatia hadn't killed the man, but there were..other options.

Spitting at laria's feet she transformed. usually she was a very humanine looking red and black wolf, with soft facial features, and for some reason furry breasts on her chest. But when fully transformed she was a hulking beast, as she was now. She sprouted several feet and her arms began thick with muscles her crouched legs pillars. She stood menacing and terrible, then shook her mane, threw back her head, and howled, long and loud.

Then she lowered her head and snarled, every gleaming fang on display, her eyes mad with blood lust. The crowd before her took one look at her, and more than half of them fled, While the remaining began to back away.

Amitiel and Narxis stepped forward then, and while sprouted wings of purest brightest lights, the other two vast shapes of eternal darkness. They drew unseen blades, unholy and divine, and snapped out their challenge. They were the most obvious of the group as their odd presence screamed to all about them. Now glorified and fully defiled they exuded more power, more waiting death than these men and women wanted. Those on the edge now fled, leaving only a few brave souls, and the corpse.

One started to draw his blade but gerry's laser sight made him freeze. He considered for a long while then turned away, all but one following. She smirked and started to speak, then screamed as her neck snapped, and Reynault drove fangs into her neck. This broke the moment and the square cleared even of observers, and the others turned away as Reynault feasted, his lips and fangs coated with blood.

Elaya stalked toward SSera, but pointed a talon at Laria. "You are blaming us?" her voice was no longer sweet, pure and sensual, but a hideous growl. "You're the fool who decided to announce openly you had a contract, high paying and apparently not requiring you yourself, in a merc bar. Easy guess they decide to kill us and take the contract, or kill you and take the box and see what it is worth. Fucking moron."

She moved behind Sera and transformed back, touching her ring and strengthening her wards and charms, all specifcally against Laria now.

Drea had moved to Sera's side during all the commotion and now she gathered Tatia and brought her to the boss, chiding her for taking such a risk, and for shedding blood at such a tense moment.

Tatia was stubborn, crossing her arms over her perky chest and snapping her mouth shut, refusing to accept being scolded like a child. Pulling away from Andrea to stalked to a bench and sat down, almost in a pout like way. This had become more than a hassle for the group and herself and Tatia was tired of it.

This was becoming more than a headache for the leader. Waiting until everyone had settled she ordered them off, telling them to get a drink or busy themselves for ten minutes. The only one she didn't speak to was Reynault, being as he was busy.

"I hadn't planned on any of that," Lairia snapped, glaring over her shoulder at the brunette sitting on the bench, "I'm sure at this point you want to refuse the contract."

Sera pursed lips turned into a wide smile, a laugh on her tongue, "on the contrary, we are taking this. You know how often met a brawl in a bar? Daily. It's how we feed ourselves, and keep our livings. This is probably the most excitement my team has had in weeks. Raise the pay to an extra half what you quoted, and you got yourself some bodyguards."

Lairia looked sceptical, "and the catch?"

"You travel our way by our rules."

The blonde thought it over, still looking concerned and hesitant but she had no real other choice. Elaya and the men had just scared all her other options away.

"Fine. But no one touches my property or they will lose fingers."

"Deal."

Elaya slapped the back of Narxis head. "that means you infernal one. keep your paws to yourself."

Narxis just grinned, though he was rubbing his head.

Elaya went over and plopped down beside Tatia. "Drea is just worried about you sweety. like the rest of us. that guy could have broken you in half with one punch." She nudged the siren and smiled. "besides he was awful ugly. not your style at all."

Gerry went over to Drea, handing her a large necklace with a medallion. "Some kind of water protection or charm." She smiled and took it then grinned. "Very nice. We need to show it to Sera when we have gotten out of here. She might need it."

Gerry blinked confused. "Later sweety." He nodded and moved away, glancing over at Reynault and wincing at the sight.

Tatia watched the scene with Drea and Gerry, not sure what was being said before her eyes moved back to Reynault, by squimish watching him eat.

"I don't like being scolded," she replied, no disdain in her voice, just an eery calmness to her tone, "I didn't want this to become a raging brawl. That's all."

"And thank you for considering me in that," Kai laughed walking up to the bench where the girls sat, "but you shouldn't risk your pretty face for mine. Our Elayas. Please be more careful Tatia."

His compliment to Elaya didn't go unnoticed by Tatia but she didn't mention it, not sure Elaya would be at all happy with Kai flirting. Not that this was the first time; Kai enjoyed getting under the werewolfs skin.

Deciding it best to change subjects quickly Tatia piped up, "what are Gerry and Drea talking about?"

Eleaya ignored the skinwalker. He didn't impress or worry her anymore.

"I'm not sure. but I am sure it's not something to be discussed here or now."

Elaya sighed. "But who cares. Sera! Can we go yet? Reynault is done eating."

The vampire had removed the corpse and there was no sign of his work. He licked his lips, looking insanely sexy and strong at the moment. The blood had empowered him. He grinned. "Mmmm. Succubus. Delicious."

Lairia excused herself to get her things inside and Sera sent Amitiel to tag along, making sure the sorceress didn't disappear or get harmed. She was their contract now, and in need of protection until they were fully paid.

"We will leave soon. Just take a minute please," she replied to Elaya, pointing at Tatia, "You, follow me."

"Shiiiiiiit," Kai whistled, knowing that tone, "Good luck T."

Tatia followed their leader down the road to the well, where they could speak without being interrupted. Then Sera laid into her, reprimanding her for being not only careless, but for endangering herself.

"...and the others. If he rose a hand at you we would have intervened, and one of our group members could have gotten injured. What if Kai stepped in, he doesn't heal like Elaya does. You risked the lives of yourself and us, not to mention the mobs if things went awry."

"Well I thought-"

"No Tatiana, you did not think. I know you had good intentions, but we work as a team for the team. That was a selfish risk you just took."

"It won't happen again," Tatia replied quietly, neither apologizing or owning up to her actions. Sera knew she wouldn't. The siren was too proud of herself to do so, but neither would she make the same mistake twice.

With her lecture over Seraphina stood and stretched, aching to be out of the city. She had been biting her tongue all day, trying to keep her temper in check so as not to raise suspicion to what she was. Her species was not only rare, it was still secret. There was only about a handful of her kin throughout the world, so risking exposure risked extinction. Her team knew this and so within the city they took many measures into their own hands - like fighting - to lessen the risk of her using her own power. But the lack of fighting, lack of showing anything but calm, was only making her blood boil hotter.

"Let's go," she sighed, running a hand through her copper hair as a headache set in from ignoring her own needs, nodding Tatia forward to join the group, "Let's get the hell out of here."

Amitiel hurried the sorceress along, and soon had her following most of the group toward their small rented hut outside the city where they had stored their armor, weapons, and their more powerful protections and charms.

Elaya meanwhile took her boss aside while everyone else went into the hut. "You need to let out some fire boss?"

She spoke very softly watching the hut, where Narxis had taunted Kai into showing off and flirting with Laria to distract her while the others watched and laughed while they made preparations.

Elaya spoke softly. "I assumed you wanted to make some distance before we made real camp? Say up at the high grotto?" The place in question was a hilltop surrounded by a massive forest of iron woods with only one approach that was easily cut off.

Kai was doing what Kai did best -showing off.

"So you're a shapeshifter?" Lairia asked, obviously skeptical.

Shape shifters were common, but many boasted about thier amazing powers to change into any form, only for it to be a exaggeration. Most could change into one or two forms, being as learning and controlling a new form in itself was difficult. For that reason, many thought they were a joke, calling themselves shapeshifters when in truth they only shifted in a single animal. Kai, on the other hand, could turn into many. He'd been practising and perfecting, and now he was in the stages of learning how to copy people, so that the team could infiltrate places better with him in disguise on the inside.

"Name a animal," he shrugged, giving her his dazzingly devilish grin, "Any animal..."

Seraphina was pulled away from the group and it gave her a second to take a long shaky breath, the air around her so hot from her skin that she'd been struggling to breath normal around the sorceress.

"The grotto works," she gasped, her eyes wild as she tried to tame the beast within, "Would you rather Drea lead the group there and you and I can hunt dinner, or shall I hunt dinner on my own? I am much craving roasted deer, and my body is aching to oblige."

Phoenix had no armor or weapons inside the shack, comfortable in the small amount of clothing she wore that allowed her to seamlessly move between her flesh form, and the fire that lived inside of her. Kai was the same, knowing his best armor was his ability to shift, so he too wore easy to tear clothing. Tatia, however, could not afford those luxuries and was inside the shack changing into her travelling armor, a custom made skin tight piece made of dark metal that could conceal her in the night and stand up to most weapons, while still making her look gorgeous, as the siren was always thinking about her looks.

Sera left Elaya to decide, needing to leave. Slipping past Lairia's gaze she bolted for the forest, wanting to be hidden before she unleashed the fire's within. She did not need to become her true form, but she did need to release some steam.

Elaya grinned. "A hunt? Yes please."

She gave Drea a signal then transformed into a pure wolf, smaller than her were form but still massive, five feet at the shoulder, and at least ten feet long from nose to rump, with another three for the tail.

Despite her bulk she moved silently through the forest, unable to match Sera's speed but able to keep her in sight with long ranging leaps between steps, her pads making even these heavy impacts soundless, while she weaved and shifted leaving no sign of her passing.

Some distance into the forest she gave a short yip to get Sera's attention then wheeled away until they were at a large pool at the base of a rocky hill. There a whole herd of massive deer drank and foraged.

Elaya licked her jaws er fur standing up on end. They were downwind and the smell of all that meat had her so excited she was trembling. But this was Sera's hunt. She would lead the jump.

Drea knew the signal all to well and got the angel and demon to gently prod Kai out the door, drawing the sorceress on.

In this way they were at the grotto, camp already laid out, before the moon had even begun to rise. Drea took the opportunity to slide into the water for a nap, while Gerry was up in his tree nest, well hidden and keeping an eye out.

Narxis was playing solitaire with tarot cards, while Amitiel communed and prayed. Renault had coaxed Tatia into a game of slapdart. a silly little kids games he had updated as it wouldn't hurt either of them. Between lay a box. Plain and dull. but at random the box would flip open revealing either a plain panel, or a sharp metal point. The point was to see who could slap nearest the metal point without impaling themselves. The winner won the bet, which was fed out by the machine.

Reynault was a master at the game and had quite a sum of winnings hidden within. He knew Tatia would love a chance to win some, and it would take her mind off the evening's events. Still he took no chances as he used his favorite method, which was to slap where the point came to rest just between his middle and ring fingers. It was nearly impossible to get closer than that.

Everyone had left Kai with the sorceress as they were all a little annoyed at her using magic on them too, and kai would keep her busy. hell if he got lucky maybe that would loosen the bolts in her ass. Or so narxis said.

When Sera hit the trees she let go, loosing her fleshy form as skin became heat as she burst into pure flame. Her new form slithered forward able to dance between the trees at lightening speed. It was the only form she had that could keep up with Elaya who was steps behind her now. When the wolf called she turned, pressing her body between two trees and feeling her flames lick the bark but lean not burn. It was her choice what she burnt as it was her choice were her flame moved.

Sera stopped roughly beside Elaya, watching the deer. In this form she had no tongue so she could not speak. Of course there was a version of her flames where she kept most her human form, but it never hit the spot like being fire did. And she didn't have long. Soon she'd be sucking energy from herself to stay abl axed and that got dangerous. There were Phoenixs who had died being consumed by thier own selves.

Like a bolt she darted forward at the biggest and toughest looking deer, eager to sink her hands in as the rest fled and she gave chase. Sera enjoyed when Elaya came because the wolf was better at tackling prey and finishing them, whereas Sera engulfed them in flames. Even now though her fire lashed out, becoming a lasso of sorts and wrapping around the Bucks neck, before tightening as she pulled back hard. The buck skidded and flopped, antlers catching on a tree as it struggled. If Sera could smile she would be, fighting this massive beast as every fibre in her body swelled with heat. Now all she needed was Elaya to finish the creature off, and they would have dinner for everyone.

Back at the camp, Tatia was focused on how to win, watching him carefully. Kai had been put on sorceress babysitting duty, which he both hated and enjoyed. She was pretty, but not his type. She could hold a conversation, but her temper easily flared. He started thinking Narxis made better conversation, and the demon was always teasing Malakai.

Back
Top Bottom