Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

You can't change Destiny (Lunareclipse x Shadow)

LunarEclipse

Planetoid
Luck wasn't really in the picture today. Eira had already had a rotten week, and it was only getting worse. Just today, she seemed to be tripping over everything, dropping everything, and running into people. It was pouring down rain, and she had forgotten her umbrella, dropped her phone into a puddle, and she was soaked from head to toe. To top it off, she was late for work.

Running to the coffee shop, she burst through the front door out of breath, and dripping water all over the tile floor. "Where have you been? You're late!" Mark was quick to bark from the register as he passed out yet another order to another person waiting in line. They were packed, the small shop filled with people, many whom looked like wet dogs. Throwing on her apron, she charged behind the register and got right to work taking orders and payments while Mark made the coffee and passed them out. It took time, but finally the line was dwindled down to nothing.

"So, care to tell me why you were late again today?" Eira grimaced and tucked a stray strand of rich brown hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry. My car broke down and I couldn't get a ride. I had no choice but to run." Mark shook his head. "This is the fourth time this week, you know. Eira, you are one of my hardest workers, but you have to quit being so late okay? Please don't make me fire you over something so foolish." She nodded and bowed her head before returning to work.

Now that the place was empty, she could get a good look around. The coffee shop smelled faintly of the rain outside, but it was far more rich with coffee and mocha aromas of different roasts. There were cozy couches by the windows, small tables tucked into corners for those couples who wished to keep their privacy. A grand piano sat in the corner for those nights they had someone come in to play. On the far side of the room was the stage often used on poetry night. The shop was a hot spot for the younger crowd in the evening, and the hard working adults in the morning.

Taking a look outside, it didn't appear the rain would be letting up any time soon, which meant for a slow day. Finding something to do, she decided to clean the bakery display case, again.

RE: You can't change Destiny

Superstition, Prophecy. Stories of a future recited by elders always seemed to fall on half deaf ears for Erik. The concept that he was simply walking a guided path through life never sat well with him. Despite the scolding that he tempted Fate and the old Gods to revoke their bestowed gifts, all seemed to unfold the way they vaguely predicted. Was it destiny or did he shape his own path?

His first change came on his 16th Birthday and with it came the brashness any young teenager with a gift of power might gain. Years tempered that brashness with maturity and a honed sense of control. While he held a less than desired regard for superstition, the guidance of the very same Elders in the more...solid ways of life were rarely ignored. Ascension as Alpha of the pack came over the years as he grew and learned the ways of leadership. Some of the ways of Leadership. Time would afford him experience. Physical strength would hopefully grant him time.

As he walked through the rainy streets, the words of superstition echoed in his ears: "Rain is almost always a sign of change. The world washing away to bring anew." While he wasn't one to pay much heed, things seemed different in recent days. The full moon was approaching and a new wolf would emerge among them. The Elders sensed it but none within his pack would make the change when it came. In all his life, he had never known their senses to be incorrect in this aspect. If there was ever a thread that would give him something to grasp onto superstition, this would be it. And yet, none of the children in the pack had their birthday when the moon would be full.

Packs tended to stay away from one another, territorially keeping their distance out of fear or respect and no other was close enough to his. So what brought this on? His rainy walk was as much a search for a reason for his unease as it was a question of his own feelings of superstition.

Tired of the cold, he made his way to a coffee shop, entering the door to be hit with the comforting smell of coffee and mocha in the air. A small smile crossed his face as he took in the warm air, the cold of the rain slowly leaving his body. Walking towards the counter, he looked at the display case, eyeing the various pastries.

A loud clap of thunder startled Eira from her cleaning, and she dropped the rag she was using upon the floor. "Darn it! What's wrong with my fingers today. They just don't want to work." Turning, she reached to dispose of the now dirty cloth and get a new one. In the midst of it all, she hadn't even seen or heard anyone come in. It wasn't until she was ducked down on the backside that she spotted a face peering at all of their delicious items, many still steaming from the oven. "Oh! Hi! I'm so sorry! I didn't see you!" Popping up like a piece of kettle corn, she hid the cleaning supplies and leaned forward upon the counter. "What can I get for you?"

Mark came out with a piping hot tray filled with muffins, and opened the case to slide them in. It was such a mundane task, one that clearly bored the man to death. "Eira, you missed a spot." Pointing to the tiny smudge clear to the bottom, he shook his head and turned, shoving open the door to the kitchen and disappearing from sight. A bright flush came to her cheeks as her silverish eyes focused on the male before her. "Right, um. Care for a coffee? A cinnamon role?" It wasn't the first time Mark rode her for the dumbest of things, but today it seemed the thunder was tied to the man's poor mood.

The sound of thunder sent ripples through him. He could feel the sound send vibrations through his chest as it sounded its arrival. A close thunderclap. Superstition he thought to himself as he took a slow breath and looked at the pastries. It was more window shopping than anything else as he rarely felt a desire to partake in anything but coffee on the rare occasions he made such a stop at a coffee shop. Never hurt to look.

Her voice snapped him from his wandering thoughts as he looked at the pastries. "It's alright," he said, a polite smile as he looked up. It took him a moment but the sense was there. That familiar feeling and scent. Her...It was her time to change his mind spoke out as his eyes fixed on her. He didn't recognize her and beyond the familiar feel that she was of his kind, nothing marked her. Packless His mind began to fill in questions before he could even think of asking.

"Uhm...Coffee would be great..." He tried to keep his body neutral while he analyzed his next move. "And...A roll would be great. Unless you have a favourite you think I'd be better off trying," he added with a smile.

How could she have gone through the years without anyone noticing her before? Certainly someone in his pack must have passed her somewhere, noticed her. He made his way to a table near cash, taking a seat and setting his umbrella against the chair next to him. If she was indeed packless, she likely didn't know what she was and that on its own would be dangerous to everyone.

Eira nodded and turned, about to ask for here or to go, but he was already slipping into a seat. "Well, the cinnamon rolls are the best, which is why I always suggest them." Pulling a cup from the sleeve, she poured him a regular coffee, slapped a lid on it, and set it on the counter while she fetched him a fresh, warm cinnamon roll. It was drizzled with icing that oozed down the sides, and without a glove on her hand, she'd quickly become a sticky mess. Placing it all on a tray, with the receipt, she slipped around the counter and made her way for the table.

Each step she took was cautious, the sway of her hips giving her the appearance of being graceful. However, she didn't feel that way at all. Just as she gently placed the tray on the surface of his table, she turned, tripping over an untied shoelace. "oh!" Falling to the floor, she managed to kick over his umbrella, knock the chair to the floor with a loud clatter, and bump her head on the floor. Her cheeks softened to the deepest shade of red that could be found in the rainbow as she slowly sat up. Her hat had fallen off her head, leaving her mess of hat hair to be seen. "Oh shoot. I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to knock over your umbrella."

Finally, her chin lifted to peer into the eyes of their customer, and she was filled with a sense of familiarity. "This might sound strange, but... do I know you? Wow, that sounded great, didn't it? So not creepy." Rolling her eyes, she moved the to grab another chair to help ease herself up off the floor, just as Mark came out of the back with a sheet tray raised in the air.

"Eira? What is going on out here? Why are you over there and not behind the counter? Why are you on the floor?" Lowering the tray, clearly having been prepared to beat someone down, he set his weapon with a loud clatter off to the side.

"I'm sorry. I swear, there's a full moon or something. I just...don't feel like myself."

Distracted might be the best way to describe Erik as he sat down. He could see her starting to prepare his order, his mind half registering what she said. "Perfect, then I guess that will be a good snack then," he replied reflexively.

Packless. The whole idea was a rarity. In all his life he had never heard of anyone even remotely close to such a situation. Packs generally didn't have members moving around and anyone doing so had more than enough respect to announce their arrival. How could she have been missed? At her age, one of her parents would have had to be known about and yet nothing came to mind.

His eyes kept her in his peripheral, not wanting to stare. It was hard not to however. He recognized the signs, the moon slowly taking hold of her. If she didn't know what she was, she would soon learn. Her movements still looked controlled however. That is, until they weren't. Her fall was sudden and his mind distant and slow to react. He looked down at her, his blue eyes meeting the silver of hers.

"I've heard worse," a warm reassuring smile accompanying the response. That sense of familiarity was the very sense he had when he saw her. That sense that told him what she was. "Are you alright?"

The other man came out quickly, clearly concerned something less innocent than a slip had occurred. Erik looked at the man and put his hands up apologetically. "My fault, I had left my umbrella in the way," he explained before returning his attention to Eira.

"There is in a day or two. You'll find the moon has quite a bit of sway to things..."

Mark shook his head with a quick "Get back to work" and disappeared into his office. Eira sighed and got onto her feet, brushing herself off even though there was no dirt. "Yea, I know. The moon can affect the tides and all that. It doesn't effect people. I'm not superstitious like that, was just trying to be funny. I think I failed." Bending down to pick up the umbrella, she offered it out to him, then just sort of set it down to the side as he was obviously going to set it down anyways. "So, right. There's your order. Enjoy! OH and the receipt is on the tray. Just uh, make sure you pay, please?"

Rubbing her forehead, she smiled awkwardly and returned to behind the counter, where she'd pretend to be busy. Truth be told, there wasn't much to do. She was bored as ever, and a really cute guy was in the store. That would make any girl kind of fidgety and nervous. Glancing at the clock, time seemed to crawl. She just wanted to get home and hide for the rest of the day. The rain was making her tired, achy, adding onto her apparent clumsiness.

The small bell above the door rang as another patron came in, a seemingly ordinary bookworm who had a stack full of books, glasses, and a shy sort of smile that grew brighter than the sun as he spotted Eira behind the counter. "Hey Eira!" Her head popped up and she beamed, hand coming up to offer a wave. "Hey Jason. Gone to the library again?" He shrugged and leaned forward on the counter. It was quite obvious he had feelings for her, something she seemed entirely oblivious to. "So, this weekend a few of us are going camping. It's going to be a full moon, and they say there's this area in the woods that's haunted. We want to go out and see if we get any action." Eira rolled her eyes. "Jason, you know that stuff doesn't exist. Why entertain the idea?" He laughed. "OH come on. It's just supposed to be fun. Haunted or not, it sounds like a good time. Come with us."

Erik felt for her. It was difficult enough to handle things when you knew the cause. She was experiencing this without knowing what she was it seemed and was at much more of a risk to herself than she thought. Duty would have him return to his pack and send others to deal with her. To contain her and put her down if need be before she brought harm to everyone else and unwanted attention to his pack.

He watched the exchange as he sipped at his coffee and ate the roll. It was sweet but nothing overpowering. A rare treat and one that certainly helped ease his mind temporarily. He had half a mind to simply pay and leave to send someone to watch over her till her change but overhearing her conversation piqued his interest more. The woods were a place his pack gathered at times. Particularly when a change was to occur. Seclusion kept things...clean.

Eyeing the receipt for is snack, he took a twenty dollar bill from his wallet and placed it under his plate before searching his coat for a pen. He scribbled a small note on the back of the receipt, his mind almost audibly protesting what he was doing. Good call on the cinnamon roll. Dinner tomorrow? Would love to hear from you.[/] with his number left with the note. Sliding the receipt over top of the bill, he rose and made his way towards the pair.

"Thank you for the snack. And if I could give a small word of advice: Some superstition is a little more real than others. Haunted woods not so much but there are some pretty aggressive animals that tend to come out here and then. Best not to look for trouble." His gaze fell upon the bookish boy as he ended his advice. He doubted he'd heed the warning but at least he tried.

Eira thought the whole notion of visiting the woods to see about a haunting was absolutely crazy. Things like ghosts, ghouls, and other creatures weren't real, and all a figment of your imagination. "I don't know... I mean I have to work and get some homework done." His face fell, eyes dulling and smile vanishing. "Jason don't look at me like that." His bottom lip started to jut out, and he was whimpering like a puppy dog. A totally cheesy, and fairly lame display, but it seemed to be working. "Alright, alright. I'll go. I'll just make sure to submit all of my assignments before we go. Just hopefully my professor doesn't assign anything big for the weekend. So, what time are we meeting and where?"

Jason's mood greatly improved in that instant. "We'll be meeting by the old church and walking to the campsite, probably around 4 or so. We need to get there and get set up before night falls." Eira nodded and took mental note. The old church was abandon and run down, and incredibly creepy. Appropriate place to start a ghost hunt.

As Erik got up, she had seen that he had slipped money under his plate. Of course, he couldn't bring it to the register. That simply annoyed her, but she wasn't about to let it show. "There, see? A man with a bit of sense. Thank you!" Grinning, as if her point had been driven home, she moved around the counter to go collect the dishes and the money.

Jason nodded, but he was barely interested in anything Erik had to say. His eyes were focused on Eira as she moved, watching her backside as she bent over the table and started cleaning up. Spying the note on the reciept, she froze, unable to believe that the guy had just left her his number. Slipping it into her pocket, she was quiet, and now deep in thought, which Jason noticed immediately. "Helloooo earth to Eira! What's the matter? You got all serious on me here." She shrugged, tucked the money into the register, and took the dirty plate into the back.

Erik couldn't be sure she'd call but he hoped she would. There were only a couple days before the moon's grip would be around her and her change would take hold. A part of him thought to old prophetic words spoken when he took over as Alpha. He shook his head as he walked, the words seemingly more superstition than possibility. The mere notion a mate would be predestined was ludicrous even for one living in a world where his kind would be considered much the same. Emotional attachments weren't preordained. Least none he'd ever seen.

Despite the lack of belief in prophecy, he found himself walking closer to the meeting grounds of his den. He'd have to decide what course of action he would take in terms of dealing with her. The right thing would be to identify her, inform his pack and let the normal laws handle a stray the way they should be dealt with. Perhaps curiosity or the relatively short tenure of his leadership were to blame but he found himself compelled to deal with her on his own.

With the rain slowing down, he closed his umbrella and looked up with a sigh. He'd keep an eye on her and await a hoped for call. Reaching into his pocket he made sure the ringer was on for him to hear it before continuing on his path. Regardless of his decision, preparations for the change still needed to be made and he'd have to check the progress.

Luckily, she finished the work day without much event. There was hardly a rush after the mid morning coffee drinkers, so she found herself bored for a good bit of the day. Two in the afternoon came around after what felt like the longest wait of her life, and she was finally released. With the rain having stopped, she looked upwards towards the glow of the sun, the rays warming her face. She inhaled deeply, relishing the aroma of a fresh rain fall, making her surroundings smell more earthy than usual. Checking her phone, she had about half a dozen messages from Jason, each one about the coming camping trip.

Then there was the phone number tucked safely in her pocket. She pulled out the piece of paper, and then tucked it away, and pulled it out again. "I must be out of my mind." With a sigh, she sent a text to the number provided. 'Sure, dinner sounds great. See you tomorrow.' Perhaps she should have called, and she debated on doing so before turning her ringer up and tucking the phone away. After all, a phone call was far more personal, and this was probably just some rather casual dinner and nothing like a date.

Making it home, she was quick to get cleaned up and changed before grabbing her camera and heading to the park. With any luck, she'd find some nice things to photograph. It was a hobby, snapping pictures of things that nature had to offer. With the raindrops sparkling in the sunlight, she was bound to find a few good shots. Getting to the park, it was fairly quiet, as most were avoiding it thanks to the recent rain. The playground was empty, and a lone swing or two moved in the light breeze. A butterfly fluttered by, and she followed it, finding the beautiful creature had landed on a daisy. Bending down, she adjusted the lens of her camera and started snapping pictures, moving a little to the left, then to right, to find the best angle.

Upon checking in with his pack, Erik made the decision to consult his mother. She was one of the very few people who he trusted to hear any doubts he had or thoughts that may seem marginally questionable. At times he wondered if he would have trusted his own father like the Alpha he had succeeded once did. A useless musing given the fact that his father no longer lived but one of the many what ifs that periodically sprung to mind. "The questions someone with doubts would have," his mother would always say as she urged decisiveness in his leadership.

"You know what has been foretold. She's very likely the one spoken of," Alicia said calmly as she sat at the table he once sat at with her when he was younger. There was a time she might have also doubted things as simply superstition but she had seen enough to know better these days. Time had given her the benefit of seeing many things despite her youthful appearance. Decades were like years for those outside of their world which also kept them quite guarded with who they mingled with. "You may not like what's said or put much heed into it all but you are leader of this pack as was said to happen. Is it so impossible this would be your future mate?"

Erik looked at her unconvinced, "I changed at a young age. Coincidence that afforded me the chance to grow into adulthood with the change over with. That gave me strength the others don't have. It's not prophecy if you're betting on a stock car to beat a family sedan in a speed race." He let out a small sigh as he leaned back against the wall of his mother's small kitchen. "She's a stray. Where'd she even come from? No family with our blood had come here in decades. Even I'm old enough to remember the last."

The next thought was interrupted by the abrupt ping of his phone and the vibration that followed in his pocket. Taking a look, he could see the unexpected response. He was relieved as it would give him the opportunity to get a gauge on her before deciding one way or another how to truly handle the odd situation. Great, meet you at the coffee shop around 6? he replied before replacing the phone back into his pocket.

"We have our laws but you're also allowed some leeway above them. This is your pack to lead as you choose till you're deemed unfit." She reassured him once his attention returned to her.

"The change happens over the weekend. I still have time," his words a bit more assertive before he headed for the door. "Let's hope this isn't yet another tempting of fate," he yelled back as he left. For the time being he'd keep a distant eye on her till tomorrow.

Eira's phone buzzed in her pocket, and she pulled it out to quickly shoot off another text. 'Sounds good. See you then.' She still couldn't believe she was doing this, having dinner with a guy she didn't even know the name of. She was beginning to think she was out of her mind. Then there was the camping trip that was coming up this weekend. That was a situation she didn't know what to do with. On one hand, it sounded fun. On the other, the idea of going on a ghost hunt was just absurd. Ghosts weren't real. They were just another one of those creatures that was a myth meant to scare children. They were up there with vampires, werewolves, and other creatures of legend.

Eira sighed and tucked her phone away, returning to her walk around the garden. It wouldn't be too long before the sun began to set, and she wanted to capture more of what nature had to offer before the time was up. The gentle sounds of nature helped to clear her mind, but it wasn't enough. Frustrated with herself, she finally started to head home.

Leaving the park, it was a little walk from her apartment. She had to pass the gas station, a flower shop, and a few fast food joints along the way. Instead of turning left, she turned right, with no reason as to why. There was a pull, like a magnet, calling her to follow the road that led to the woods. The moon, almost full, started to peak over top the trees. She'd have about three days time before it completed it's cycle. The closer she got the forests edge, the darker it seemed to grow. As she reached the brush, she stopped, staring into the shadows between the trees.

While it wasn't home for him, the forest was a comforting touchstone. Those in his pack all made their first change within and so did he. It was a natural place that fed the more animalistic nature of their kind. Large and relatively dense, the it gave them the seclusion they needed for the most part. Some private land near a lake in the middle of the wooded landscape housed a few cottages that some of his pack lived in. Those who were less inclined to blend into the every day life of normal society. He often wondered if such a lifestyle would suit him but he doubted it would. Still it tended to bring a sense of ease when he wandered within and he did so with a dog at his side.

He always found it a twisted irony that as the Alpha of a pack of wolves, he kept a dog as a pet but the small beagle had always taken a liking to him and it at least made it a little less suspicious to find a man walking through the woods when he had a dog in tow.

As the sun began to set, darkness began to fall between the trees and the barely clear man made paths that lined certain sections of the wooded area began to fall from sight. At least, normal sight. He knew the woods well and like any animal that moved through their home, he was more than sure footed even in darkness. As he moved quietly in his thoughts, he saw her through the remaining light that pierced through the trees. He kept himself to the shadows, out of sight, watching her. His eyes briefly fell to the dog at his feet, a silent look had the obedient companion sit quietly. He wondered if someone with no knowledge of what she was also felt the pull of the forest. The pull to a simpler less complicated place.

He watched her for a moment, wondering what she was thinking. Wondering if the thoughts of her prospective weekend excursion would yield such ghosts. Soon curiosity or impulsiveness took hold and he made his way towards her. He took little care with his footing ensuring the sound of small twigs snapping and his steps announced his oncoming exit from the wooded shadows. "I hope you're not getting an early start to ghost hunting," He said as he came into view.

Eira had no idea what she was doing there at the edge of the woods, but it called to her as if the shadows themselves were reaching out to offer her a warm embrace. "This is ridiculous." Just as she was about to turn, footsteps were coming from the brush. Her head tilted this way and that, trying to find the source until she saw him peering from the shadows and stepping into the light. "Oh, no. I don't believe in ghosts. I..." She paused, looked around to take in her surroundings. "Honestly, I'm not sure what I am doing here. I meant to go home. I guess I just got lost in my thoughts." Spotting the dog, she smiled at the beast. "So, do you come here often? You know, to wander the forest when the sun is setting? Are you out here to go ghost hunting as well?"

The night was quickly falling, crickets began their evening song as birds began to settle down for the night. Though the air was calm and the forest was sleeping, and yet still buzzing with live, she felt uneasy. She stared at the guy she had only met earlier in the day, curious as to how this meeting came to be. It was quite the coincidence. "So, thanks for the invite to dinner. Though, I can't help but wonder why. You know, considering I've never met you before today."

Erik smiled as she seemed to try to understand why she was there in the first place. He gave a small chuckle when she asked him why he was there. "Of all the things that go bump in the night, ghosts aren't ones I really think to believe in although there are a few that surprisingly prove more fact than fiction at times. No, just a long walk and it's pretty quiet and peaceful once you get pretty deep into the woods."

The beagle calmly made his way to her leg and sniffed at her before sitting on the ground between them. "And this little guy has less of a tendency to want to run off when he out in the woods. More curious to stop and sniff around then take off after cars. Keep things simple," he said before kneeling and clipping a leash to the dog's collar.

It seemed the sun began to retreat faster the more it fell beyond the horizon leaving more and more shadows and just the lamps that were sparsely scattered about the park to light the area. He looked at her as he rose back up from his crouch, "Attractive girl doesn't know why someone would want to have dinner with her? That's a new one. To be honest there's something intriguing about you I can't quite put a finger on." Just that you're a werewolf his mind shot out. "I figured why not give it a shot. Worst you can say is no right? Besides, after such a rough go just getting me a snack and coffee, dinner is the least I can do."

Eira bent to the ground to scratch the pup behind the ears as he made his way over. "Well, he's a hunting dog. I'm sure in the woods he feels at home, and it's just instinct to stick by his master's side. Here in the woods, he's more free. But at home, or on the street, he's forced to behave, be a good dog. He's not free to be himself. " The little beagle began to lick her face, and she laughed before kissing him on the nose. "You're a little trouble maker, but you're very sweet, and such a good dog."

Righting herself, she glanced around, noticing the glow of the lamps in the park, giving them just a hint of illumination along with the almost full moon. "Well, thank you for the compliment. Though, I'm not that attractive, just average really. But, going out will be nice. I don't get out all that much, as I usually spend my time alone. Now, I just need to get home and sleep, I guess. Or at least try. I'm restless."

Erik smiled as he reached into his pocket to pull out a small bag of dog treats. Pulling one from the bag he let it fall for the beagle to catch. "Only the fun kind of trouble but never anything too serious," he said as he replaced the bag into his pocket and gave his small companion a wink.

As she looked around, he could feel the glow of the moon come over him. While the full moon no longer forced the change, he still felt its call and influence over him. Of course he could change whenever he desired but there was something comforting about the cyclical nature of the moon and a willingness to change on those nights when the moon was at its fullest. "I suppose average is quite subjective. I can subjectively say you're more than just average."

He gave her a warm smile before taking in a breath of the evening air. "I'd blame your restlessness on the full moon but you'd probably call that superstition. Every now and then I find myself restless when the moon is at its fullest." Time to find out if you really are the one fate supposedly sent. He looked at her and shrugged, "Hasn't been too bad though. The worst was on my Birthday. The moon was quite large that day. Was probably more so just antsy because it was my birthday."

There wasn't any way she could have blushed any more brightly. Even in the moonlight it was easy to see the pinkish hue that took over her features. "Well, that's sweet of you. Thank you." A smile curled her lips upwards, growing more so as he continued on. "Yes, that is superstition. There is no proof that the moon effects anyone or anything, except maybe the tides. That's only because the gravity of the moon has a bit of a pull on the water. Not that I mean to burst your bubble or anything. It was probably because it was your birthday. Maybe that's why I'm restless. My birthday is in just a few days. I'll be 21 this year."

Thinking nothing of it, she turned her face towards the sky to admire the stars that twinkled in the night. Fireflies danced overhead, illuminating the air and the field around them with their beautiful green glow. "Part of the reason I'm hesitant about that camping trip. The last three years, I always get sick right around my birthday. I've been hospitalized, but no one can tell me what's wrong. I'd hate to get sick again while out the woods. That's not exactly an ideal situation." Now that she had company and enjoyed a pleasant conversation, she wasn't at all in the mood to take the long walk home. Instead, she lowered herself to the ground and made herself comfortable with the friendly beagle. "My roomie is probably wondering where I am. Not really in the mood to go home and be pestered to go out to the bar with her. She's determined to take me this weekend. "

He took a certain pleasure seeing her blush. It was hard not to all things considered. There was a certain attraction he felt towards her and he wondered if a part of it was how abnormal her mere existence outside of the norm for their kind was. The mention of her birthday being her 21st could almost make him cringe inwardly. The mere thought that any level of attraction was predestined bothered him. He put on a smile despite the prophetic words hanging over him. "Then I guess I'll have to pick appropriately for dinner tomorrow," he said referring to her birthday.

He followed suit as she took a seat on the grass, the beagle laying down next to her. He wasn't sure exactly how he'd convince her of what she was but he had to figure it out soon. Perhaps planting some seed of doubt in some manner over the next few days. "Well here's hoping you don't have the misfortune of getting sick this year. Especially seeing how in demand your free time seems. As for going home, I have no plans and it looks like Orion's taken a liking to you," he said motioning to his companion who found himself next to her.

She looked down to the pup as he plopped down next her, seeming so at ease with her presence. Her palm rested on his head, stroking him lightly and ruffling his ears. "Really, you don't have to pick anything special for my birthday. The coffee shop is just fine." Smiling in return, her gaze flashed over to him for only a brief moment before returning to the sky. "No plans. Must be nice. I seem to always have something going on. This is the first time I've just gotten to sit down and enjoy some company in quite a while. What about you? What do you do, other than walk your dog through the woods at sunset? Are you new in town? Do you work? Where's your family? Sorry, I might be asking too many questions."

She'd wait until after he was done talking to start in on herself, watching him as he spoke so he knew she was interested and not just being polite. "I'm adopted. That's really no secret, and I'm alright with it. From what I was told, my mother was young, too young to take care of me. I know nothing of my father. I grew up here with my adopted parents. They moved, though, to Florida. Which I'm fine with. I didn't want to go, you know. Too hot for my liking."

Erik gave a small shrug and smiled. He eyes went from her to Orion. The dog was always friendly in nature, especially to their kind but rarely left his side that easily. More superstition. "It's your birthday. It should be spent in whatever manner you find enjoyable. If coffee works best then I'm sure we can figure something out. Besides, I hear the cinnamon buns are pretty good at the shop."

As her attention went back to the sky, her curiosity of him finally came through. He leaned back, resting his weight on his hands as he looked up as well. Even through the dim lighting of the lamps that scattered the park, the stars of the night sky could still be faintly seen. "Nothing horribly exciting," he said, starting to answer her question. "I work for a small real estate company. Usually just bring people to homes for them to look at, see if they like it and give them some information to help them decide." And see if they're one of us or not.... His attention returned to her, watching her seem to relax. "Gives me free time here and there. Not always at sunset but enough."

Her telling of her adoption brought clarity to how she slipped under the cracks. He had never heard of anyone giving up their child and couldn't fathom the reasons why. Perhaps her mother wasn't one of them and had no idea what her child would be. "Must have been tough not knowing your birth parents...At least you have a place to retreat to when it gets too cold here," he said adding a small silver lining.

She had to laugh because him using the same line was just too cheesy, and kind of cute. "You don't say? Well I do love a good cinnamon roll. But, I'm willing to go wherever. Anywhere that you'd like to go. I can't say that I'm too picky, and I don't really get out much anyways. Might be nice to try something new. Just, cheap. I don't have a lot of money. It's really hard to live off minimum wage. Not like your job, I'm sure." She smiled and turned to look at him before looking back down at the dog. "Which, you know, you look young for a realtor. All the ones I've seen are all older! You're lucky to get into a good job so early in life."

It seemed the park wasn't empty, even at this time of night. There was a group of people up ahead hanging out, but what they were doing was hard to tell. They all gathered in a circle, seeming to have a meeting of sorts. Their presence noticed, a few turned to stare in question. "Yea, it's kind of hard not knowing who they are. It's like, I don't know who I am. I'd like to know where I come from, who my parents were, what they did. The puzzle pieces are missing. My adopted parents are great, but they don't fill the void."

A bit older than I look, he thought to himself as she commented on his appearance. "Most of the people I work with are older. I think it helps to be a little less...grey when your client is younger at times. You can relate to them a bit more." He looked at her and shrugged, "I don't handle a large portion of the client base and I'm more towards support in the cases I'm not leading in."

While he was aware of the others around them, his attention remained on her as she spoke. He felt for her and a part of him was relieved that he had come across her before her change. Even through knowing what he was and when he'd change, the actual event was frightening. While he never thought twice of strays that went through the change in an uncontrolled manner, to see someone who would go through the experience completely in the dark was...saddening. "I can't imagine how that would feel. Wondering and all..." He stopped for a moment, contemplating his next words quickly but carefully. "Would you want to know? Regardless of what truths came of it? Is there ever a fear that some things are best left unanswered?"

She had to pause a moment to contemplate his question. It was a deep one, one she hadn't considered before. "Well... I suppose while I know nothing, I would say that yes, I'd like to know regardless of what the outcome was. However, I am sure if I learned that my parents were murders, or something awful I might regret it later. Then again, I could learn that I was given up by royalty. Though, that would be far fetched highly unlikely. A girl can have dreams, though, can't she?" She smiled and leaned back, palms flat on the ground within the grass. The moon rose higher in the sky, peeking over the treetops and illuminating the park in ways the lanterns couldn't.

The group just a distance away was clearer now, and she squinted as if trying to gain a better view. Teens, by the looks of it, vandalizing the park. "Hrm. Well that is rude. What is wrong with people these days?" They had spray paint and were defacing the property, covering it in words and graphics far too inappropriate for children. "It seems the night brings out the crazies. Maybe we should head somewhere else before they turn their direction towards us? Or, we can just call it a night and wait until tomorrow. I have nothing to do, so it's up to you."

Back
Top Bottom