Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Playing the Game [ Chai & Razgriz ]

RE: Playing the Game [ Ariamella & Razgriz ]

Ric couldn't hear Stella's pleas, her urges to leave falling on deaf ears even as she forced him to face her. Thanks to the magic of their contract, his otherwise searing flames did not so much as even warm her skin; in truth, she was technically in danger now even if the aggression was focused on him. So that meant some of the restrictions were lifted, if only to ensure that the Princess would come out of this unharmed...Largely.

His eye went wide as she was thrown back, the force of Mei's magic tossing her like a ragdoll. He turned on his heel in a rage to go after them, only to find himself subjected to a massive crushing force. "Damniiiiiiit" he growled lowly, drawing the last syllable out through clenched teeth as he tried to fight off the magic. But it seemed Mei's power had gotten even stronger since he ditched them, and quickly enough he found himself pressed against the floor. Then thrown into the street, the armor he wore doing quite a bit to protect him from the shards of glass that otherwise would have turned his skin into scrap paper.

Hana's own spellwork had him gasping for air, his chest rising and falling rapidly and gripping his throat as he started to hyperventilate, the cloak of fire faltering from the lack of oxygen before it released, a loud and extended gasp emitting from his sucking in as much as he could manage. It felt like his lungs were about to collapse. These damn psychopaths, he thought to himself, as he lay there on his back. His hands slowly clenched and unclenched, desperately trying to steady himself from the sudden barrage. All that time in prison must have made him more rusty than he realized.

"Oh, maybe we were too hard on him, Mei..." Hana expressed with a fake playful whine, Mei adding maliciously "No, he's broken our hearts twice now. He deserves every last bit of this. And more." Letting a sinister snicker, she added as her gaze shifted to the warlock, whose fiery form struggled to get up "Ric, we don't want you to hate us...Just love us. We can go back to how things were. Don't make us hurt you...Too much, that is." The last part was added with a slight giggle, her eyes glinting mischievously. She then turned to the Princess, adding in a semi-whisper "I think once we're done with him...Maybe we'll have some fun with you. After all, it's probably your fault he doesn't love us anymore." Mei snickered, flashing the kni "You can practically smell her virginity from here...Probably some snobby little Council brat. What a prude, teasing him like that."

Ric finally managed to roll over onto his stomach, pushing himself up to his knees. His rage started to really boil over now; they were fucking with him. And goddamn if that didn't piss him off all the more. Still...He could feel a burning in him, an odd but not unpleasant heat in the depths of his soul. One that he knew the exact cause of. And then she whispered the magic words, quite literally:

She'd just threatened Stella's life.

He was in a monster fight again....Oh, it had been too long.

At this, Ric snickered and started to chuckle, causing Mei to shout, "What, you think our love is funny? Do you, Ricendithas?!" She slammed the pressure on him again, making him bow a little, but overall wasn't having as much success this time. Evidenced as such when she began to grimace, even more so as Ric stood to his feet. "Wha...What? That's not possible, this is ten times gravity!" she hissed; raising her hands in front of her, Mei grumbled, "I'll crush you. Feel our pain!" Ric's knees buckled a little more as she upped the pressure on him, the concrete underneath starting to crack.

"You idiots..." the warlock whispered, his bowed head hiding a malicious grin. "...know nothing. Are nothing. Have always been nothing." Ric then tilted his head up, his green eye glowing in such a way that the iris seemed to 'bleed' into the sclera, giving the entire orb a slight teal tinge. All around him his aura roared to life, becoming more and more potent. "Wha...What is this..." Hana quipped, frozen in shock as her sister focused even harder. Mei's head was throbbing by this point, the exertion of her ability putting a heavy toll on her body as the pain began to radiate to the extremities of her lithe form.

But soon it started to bloom, taking on an even sharper stinging sensation; this wasn't normal, a fact she figured as she felt her magic just...stop. And it only got worse as she felt her nose start to bleed a little and her heart begin to race. But her body didn't move, it was just frozen.

"Whoops..." Ric then muttered, grinning as he was finally able to fully stand. "Lowered your guards to put all your magic on me...I warned being an all-or-nothing girl was dangerous, Mei." he then added sadistically. Hana rushed over to her sister and started shaking her shoulders, "Mei...Mei! Snap out of it!" Her eyes then snapped to Ric, shouting in a demanding tone "Tell me what you did to her!" Ric just placed a finger to his chin, "Hmmm....Alright. But I won't bore you with the specifics...Just know that your dear sister's about to die from a massive cerebral hemorrhage."

Hana was just speechless after that, her eyes slowly going back to her sister as she started to bleed out of both nostrils and her ears now, the red fluid slowly coming down in streams and staining her clothes in shining dark spots. "And...There she goes." Ric commented dryly, Mei suddenly collapsing to the ground, her once-vibrant eyes now dull and lifeless. It took a few seconds for Hana to register what just happened; seeing her sister - the only family she had left - lying there, unmoving, was all too sudden. "Mei....No, MEI! MEI! COME BACK MEI!" she cried out hysterically a few moments later, falling to her knees and sobbing at her sister's side, clutching her dead sibling's body and rocking on her knees as grief racked her body.

"Hurts, doesn't it?" Ric then said, causing Hana to stare at him, shining streams running down her fair cheeks. "Just think of the grief your 'kid' caused. The pain their families felt. Now you truly feel their loss, their agony. Relish it, devil-maker." Hana sniffled and whimpered, her cries becoming muted as she held onto her dead sister. Her fingers clenched into the skin, her mouth forming a tight-lipped grimace before she suddenly grabbed the knife from Mei's hand and charged Ric in a murderous frenzy.

"I'LL KILLLLL YOUUUUUU!" Hana bellowed, swinging the small blade madly; Ricendithas ducked a swing aimed at his neck and landed his gloved fist into Hana's chest. The woman felt a bursting sensation inside, followed by a massive flood of warmth in her chest. "And you...are far too sensitive for your own good, Hana." Ric muttered, starting to walk back towards Stella as Hana fell to the ground, clutching her chest. She then coughed, hacking up globs of red liquid as she started to choke, her breathing shallow, rapid and labored. It hurt, oh god it hurt so much..But moments later, death came and she lay still just feet away from Mei. The two were together again, wherever their souls went...May they go screaming into the abyss, he thought to himself.

Going up to Stella, he just grumbled "We should probably go...." and gripped her wrist lightly, pulling her arm around his shoulders so that she wouldn't have to baby her ankle as much. He then pulled out a wad of bills and threw it towards one of the cashiers, saying in Japanese 'For her clothes. Keep the change'. And then they were gone again, back to Colorado with the dress and purchases in tow. It was better this way...For everyone.

And just like that, they were back outside Stella's front door, back home where she could rest up and recover from the events that transpired. While he got the feeling she wasn't a delicate flower, he'd been around the block to know that witnessing a murder - two, in this case - could very well affect her. "I hope you don't expect me to apologize, because that sure as hell isn't going to happen." he then said out of the blue, leading the two of them inside until Stella would be able to sit on the sofa.

"Now sit and let me have a look at that ankle. And don't bother arguing, I'm not in the mood."

Colorado Springs, CO
Early-mid November

Stella had limped her way to the entrance of the boutique, staying near the broken glass as she looked out on the street. People had begun gathering at doors and windows, watching the two witches throw the warlock to the ground. But no one dared intervene, only choosing to watch with muted curiosity at the magicians out on the pavement. Most of the bystanders hid, afraid to get in the way, though the twins only seemed to have one target in mind: Ric.

Concern for him clouded her mind momentarily as she saw him laying on the black street, the flames on his body momentarily disappearing. Was he going to make it through this? What if he didn't? Her whole entire being froze in place, body and mind seemingly turned to ice as Mei said those words next: "I think once we're done with him...Maybe we'll have some fun with you. After all, it's probably your fault he doesn't love us anymore. You can practically smell her virginity from here...Probably some snobby little Council brat. What a prude, teasing him like that."

Horror, fear, and annoyance filled her mind simultaneously, a chill spreading through her limbs as her eyes widened at the implied meaning. Normally, her smart mouth would have had something to say about her and Ric being lovers, and even about her being a virgin. So what if she was? Was that a crime? If she was a prude, that meant Hana and Mei were some loose, two-cent whores who could probably fly away with their meat flaps. Not that it was any of her business though... she didn't judge. That much. But she kept her lips sealed, knowing there was no way she would win if she picked a fight with twins, much less just one of them.

But the fight went on, Ric now getting up as if something had rejuvenated him. And before long, she saw Mei go down, dark red staining her clothes and and body is it trickled from her nose and ears. A sour taste filled Stella's mouth, her knuckles white from gripping the edge of the wall so tightly at the sight of the violent death. Thank god nausea didn't hit her, but suspected it would if she saw it happen again. She never bothered to look at how Ric killed Hana, opting to avert her eyes when she saw the remaining twin charge at him with the knife. But when she felt him pull gently on her arm, she looked up, seeing Hana lying a few feet away from her sister, crumpled and lifeless.

Soon they were back home though, and silently, cautiously, Stella removed her arm around Ric's shoulder, leaning on her good leg to sink into the couch. "I wasn't going to ask you to apologize," she said lamely, not knowing what else to say. She wasn't in an argumentative mood either, and after seeing Ric kill two people, she wasn't sure she wanted to be in any kind of argument with him. Not that she would have any kind of consequence for it (thank the gods for the contract), but it still gave her an unsettling feeling. She was thankful for him, but she hadn't expected him to end the twins' lives so easily as if it were nothing.

Leaning down, she gingerly unzipped the skin-tight suede boot, wincing slightly as she peeled it off her leg and removed the sock from her foot. It looked exactly how she thought it would, swollen and slightly red with a dull, throbbing pain to match. A nasty purplish bruise had formed on her outer ankle, dark and raw, and she knew a ligament had torn. She moved to lift her foot on the couch, taking in a hiss of a breath and holding it as if to combat the pain and tenderness of the injury. She wouldn't cry, especially not from this. It made for a ridiculously lame story to tell anyway.

"... Sorry," she said awkwardly as she finally lifted her gaze to look at him, not entirely knowing why the apology had slipped out of her mouth. Maybe it was for the fact that he had to play nurse now, or maybe it was because she had talked shit about him in the dressing room. It wasn't like the she had meant any of that anyway (well, except for the bit about disliking him), and it was more to keep the twins talking so they wouldn't decide to turn that knife on her. But still, it felt strange not to say sorry after all that happened.

"Was it okay to just leave them there?" Stella suddenly asked, "the twins, I mean. Is that... normal?"

Ric immediately got to work, his hands gently encircling the swollen area; seemed she had been thrown with more force than he'd anticipated. It wasn't anything irreparable, but it would definitely take some effort to heal it completely. And Stella would find him surprisingly well-versed in the healing arts, a magic that Dregs usually seemed not to use on anyone but themselves.

Radiant light encased her foot, a gentle warmth flooding the affected area as his own magic served to greatly accelerate her body's natural healing. He was a little surprised that she apologized; this time at least, there was nothing she needed to apologize for. "Don't mention it, I guess." Ric replied half-heartedly, flexing his fingers to concentrate a portion of energy on the lateral collateral and anterior tibiofibular ligaments. He realized that he might have squeezed a little too hard and immediately said 'Sorry....' with no emotion whatsoever. He hadn't meant to make this more uncomfortable than it should be...But then would it really matter what he did?

He paused again, however, as she asked about the normalcy of him leaving the twins there. "You're probably going to feel a little discomfort; the peroneus brevis is horribly stretched, almost broken completely. I'm going to have to stretch it a little to help re-fuse the muscle fibers" he told her flatly, his focal point shifting to the outside of her leg just above the ankle. Closing his eyes, he let his energies slowly regenerate the tissue, diverting a fraction to suppress the pain response neurons in the area. His visible eye seemed to focus intently, his magic fluctuating with surprising precision and subtlety, reacting to the minutes changes in Stella's own energies.

And just like that, he was done, his hands falling away to let her see his handiwork: Her bruise was gone completely, and all she would feel was a dull ache that would subside by tomorrow. "You should be able to walk normally now." he then said to her shortly, standing up and taking a seat next to her. And it was a few minutes more after that Ric felt like answering her question. "If you had witnessed what I witnessed, you honestly wouldn't be asking that question. The things they made, the horrors they concocted in that lab of theirs." His gloved fingers gripped his pant leg, teeth clenching again in growing rage. But now...Maybe it was better he just calmed down. There was nothing here....Not yet at least.

"But you want the answer? Yes, it is normal...For me." he then told her, leaning back against the couch. "And I just want you to know that the only reason I was able to do what I did was because they threatened you. You can thank your precious little contract for that."

Colorado Springs, CO
Early-mid November

"Thank you," Stella said softly but with relief and gratitude, rolling her ankle around a few times to test Ric's work. Everything felt as it should be, the almost excruciating pain now gone from the area. All that was left was a little tickle, some warmth, and slight muscle soreness as she moved her foot this way and that. "Normal for you? So this happens, like, all the time then? Or at least, it's happened enough times that you don't bother with the cleanup anymore, do you?"

She carefully tucked her legs beneath her on the couch, now sitting cross-legged to give Ric more room to move around if he ever needed it. An awkward silence hung in the air between them, the slight crinkle of the shopping bag filling the space as her hands toyed with the paper fold. She figured the contract was what had given him the extra strength to continue fighting, just another one of the little things (or rather, a big thing this time) that her father did to ensure her protection. Lorencio didn't play, especially not when it came to her. She wondered how that magical stipulation had even been worked in, but like most everything else in that extraordinary leather bound book, it was likely magic that was too advanced for her despite being well learned for her age.

And speaking of advanced magic...

She leaned forward to rest her elbows on her thighs, cradling her head in both palms as she turned to look at Ric. "I didn't know you could do lumomancy," she commented with a tinge of curiosity decorating her voice.

The use light magic had not escaped her notice, especially because he was so centered on fire. And while the two elements were closely related, knowing one did not necessarily guarantee knowing the other, or even having talent in lumomancy. It was a hard magic to even grasp, much less use to heal torn muscle tissue and ligaments. Most people who started learning it could only do light tricks and slight manipulation, nothing like she or the rest of the Durantes were capable of. Ric had definitely impressed her to say the least.

"Where did you learn that?" Stella then asked him. If her words could have come out as visible text, they would have been green with envy. She frowned, pink lips turning slightly downwards. "Using light magic as part of the healing arts. I can't... I mean, not that I couldn't learn, but I don't... know how."

Ric didn't even bother answeing her question, his eyes staring straight ahead. Yeah, maybe she did deserve an answer, but he honestly didn't feel like giving one. If she knew just how much death he'd caused - and in many instances more gruesome than that he inflicted on the twins - it would only make this tenuous arrangement even more of a headache. And the last thing he needed was some sheltered little snob trying to dictate his way of handling business.

He said it before and he would said it again: He might be bound to serve, but she was not his master. Not in any way, shape OR form.

"So you noticed huh?" he finally did say in response, breaking the increasingly uncomfortable silence between them. He held a hand up to his face, the surface of his glove starting to shine with a warming radiance as a dull hum filled the air. But then it slowly died away, leaving them in silence once more. "It was a really long time ago. You might not believe this, but I wasn't always the badass dashing rogue sitting next to you. I was mentored in the healing arts, by someone who understood every wound imaginable, every ailment conceivable. A savant of light-based magic and potions." "Someone who I still miss...Sometimes." he then added as a mental afterthought, his mind flashing briefly back to the moment his life turned for the worse.

A bestial roar. The sound of flesh rending beneath blessed steel. The gasps of a dying man. The darkness encroaching, consuming his conscience yet granting immense power beyond power.

He then fell back to reality, looking back down at his hands as he continued "But I'm not really all that skilled with it. Not in the way the Durantes or other lumomancer families are." His head then turned so that his visible eye was looking right at her, "Truth be told, it's something that does take some talent. And if I can do it as a pyromancer, a lumomancer like you should have no problem with it." He then finalized, in case she was trying to pick his brain, "But don't expect me to teach you shit, alright? I'm your bodyguard, and as far as I'm concerned that's where my responsibility to you ends."

Colorado Springs, CO
Early-mid November

"Hm, I believe it," Stella murmured back calmly, her mind unable to continue focusing on him. Instead, images of Aneira came flashing back, moments of a broken, disjointed dream that she could barely recall. But she could envision the white-haired young woman perfectly, flowing strands on the floor with jewels and stones decorating her neck and wrists.

"You see, I was once a healer and took him as an understudy. He used to be so full of life...Of zeal and fervor." Stella could hear the words play back in her head, things falling into place a little more, like completing the small corner of a puzzle board. Aneira obviously cared for Ric... did he miss her like she missed him? Stella could only wonder if Ric even knew his mentor was watching him from afar.

But it was hard to believe that he had been a kind soul long ago when he was currently a rude asshole. To the point and blunt, which was something she liked, but if he asked her, he could make more effort to not sound like such a dick.

"Oh yeah?" Stella rolled her eyes (an action that she noticed was getting quite frequent around him), but followed with a wry smile and tossed some hair behind her shoulder. "But before, you said that if I played nice you'd share your treasure trove of delicious tidbits with me. Dirty thoughts of myself not included, please. And I think I've been very nice to you. We managed to make it..." she quickly checked the time, pressing the circular button at the bottom of her iPhone, the screen lighting up with some pink floral background. "We managed to make it at least an hour now without feeling like sending each other hurtling into the abyss, and that's pretty much that same as nice, isn't it?"

She laughed lightly, tiredly, uncrossing her legs only to bring her knees up to hug them to her chest. She winced lightly at the funny ache in her ankle before settling her chin on top of the kneecaps. Getting hostile with him over something as simple as learning magic was stupid, even in her book. "But okay, don't teach me. I was just curious, that's all. I always thought healing was its own thing, not really tied or facilitated through a specific element. Glad to know you have faith in my ability though. That's always nice."

A more comfortable silence blanketed them now, the atmosphere lighter and more breathable than it had been before. "Well, I think that's enough mild chit chat for the night. Some scary shit could start happening if we don't cut it off here, you know, like us having actual, meaningful conversation." Stella unwound her limbs, wanting to ask him about Aneira, but ultimately deciding against it. They weren't friends. As far they were both concerned, he was just her bodyguard, and he had made that perfectly clear.

"The epitome of the education system, ladies and gentlemen" Ric retorted sarcastically; if only she knew how much her damned professors and mentors were holding back from them. There were things in this world that no modern student of magic had ever even heard of before, things that even today's 'masters' would be completely bamboozled by. And her comment about faith was also a bit irritating; it wasn't faith, it was fact. How fast she would catch on, that was a different matter altogether. But her lumomancer lineage would definitely edge him out, despite his years of experience, in this field.

"Hmph, don't expect that to happen any time soon. Last I checked, talking to a Dreg in anything other than narcissistic superiority got you looked at funny. You know, by those pantywaists you call 'Society'. What a friggin' joke." he replied in a short-tempered voice; standing up from the couch, he then got up and just walked off.

"Going to bed....Probably just watch the paint peel or something."

That was all he said to Stella before disappearing into one of the many guest bedrooms on the first floor. He honestly thought about making a booty call to Rowena, but he didn't have the energy right now. That scuffle with the twins put more of a strain on him than he originally thought; seemed that time in Periculosis truly did him no favors in combat endurance. He'd need to fix that, sooner rather than later.

*A few weeks later*

"I don't care what you tell me, princess. I'm not wearing this damned monkey suit to this stupid dinner party of yours. Nowhere in the contract does it say you can go all dress-up doll on my ass, so you can just forget it." Ric shouted from behind the door to the room he'd claimed for himself, holding it closed with a powerful binding hex. No way in hell was he going to be like one of them. Fuck that.

"And if you think your little guilt trip about the wine is going to work, let me save you the trouble and tell you to stuff it!" he then added with more than just a hint of irritation.

Colorado Springs, CO
Thanksgiving (November)

"It's not even that bad!" Stella huffed in front of the closed door, caught somewhere between amusement and frustration. The suit she had picked up for him was classic—so classic that even he couldn't mess it up... Probably. Maybe. She let out an exasperated sigh, struggling to contain herself. Any more of his whining, and she was likely to either yell or laugh, both of which probably weren't the greatest of choices.

"Seriously, you only have to wear it for a few hours anyway. Also, the tux was expensive, so..." She quieted for a moment, fumbling with a small clutch bag and taking out a small mirror to check her reflection, needlessly messing with her lashes as if taking out a mascara clump.

The Ellison's annual Thanksgiving event was a classy affair, and like always she was the type to strive to look just about as perfect as humanly possible. Her makeup done and hair styled so that her normally wavy hair hung straight against her back. Her dress, a pretty thing she got from the Japanese boutique, accentuated the her curves despite he petite form, and if anyone asked her what she thought of it, it made her chest look great. A pair of gold high heels gave her a few inches of added height, and jewelry pieces that hung off her neck and wrists gave the look a polished finish. Not that she didn't like getting dolled up, but a majority of the time it turned into a bragging contest about who wore what from where. Some Thanksgiving it was.

Normally she went to just socialize, to catch up with a few friends she hadn't seen in a while, but tonight's dinner was special; it was her first Society event since being Marked, and Ric was not going to mess it up for her. She snapped the mirror shut and stuffed it back in the small bag. "Seriously, I don't want to be late. How shitty is that going to look? Do you know who's going to be there?"

Everyone, she thought, everyone had been invited, including her own parents. Stella placed her back against the door, leaning against it as she mindlessly scrolled through her phone. "If it helps, Rowena'll be there and she'll be lookin' pretty hot, by what Adrian tells me. I bet she doesn't make this much of a fuss just to look nice for one night."

"Yeah, well, I'm not used to this sort of thing! Wasn't exactly allowed to your fancy Council holiday dinners, you know!" he shot back; really, was it that hard to comprehend that he wasn't excited about having to go to a house full of CoT trust-fund babies? Bodyguard or not, he knew quite well that he did not belong there, nor would he ever want to. Those blind ignorant bigots, thinking themselves superior when they hadn't even the faintest idea of what a true mage could do.

But...He would fall conspicuously silent when she mentioned that Rowena would be there. The woman did have a way with clothes...And without them, too. "It's not a matter of looking nice. It's a matter of principle" Ric said shortly, breaking the all-too-brief silence before giving a defeated sigh. "Fine, you win. For the moment." he then added on begrudgingly. A few moments later, he emerged from the room, his impressive physique more readily apparent now that it wasn't shrouded in heavy cloak and armor. And while probably not the best in terms of looks, he did at the very least come across as respectable. Something the other Council snoots would probably (in the most unfunny way imaginable) joke about.

"I just know Rowena's never going to let me live this down..." Ric muttered, pulling at the neck of the tuxedo a little and running a hand through his silver locks. It wasn't like he was going to style it all that much though; and his facial hair wasn't that out of control. More the grizzled rogue than a bearish wildman, really. Sheesh, why did Society have to dress so stiffly? Did these masochists enjoy walking around like their nerves were partially frozen? How anyone considered this entertaining was simply beyond him. But then, he never lived like he was in Society. No, by and large he always lived on the outskirts, and in the recent past behind walls and suppressing magic.

Holding his arms out to Stella, he then asked, "Well? Is this alright? I look 'presentable' enough for this little get-together?" Lord only knew she would find something wrong with how he dressed himself. It wasn't like he wore a suit on a regular basis; his status normally never demanded he dress in anything other than what he was comfortable wearing.

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

Nothing much surprised Stella anymore since Ric had arrived (especially since the incident with the twins), but his appearance did manage to make her pause for a moment. He looked... Good? But she threw the thought away and nodded her head, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. "Very presentable. It was a hassle getting you to wear that shit, but it'll only be for a little bit and it's not gonna kill you, I promise. Then you'll have the ancient cloak and the armor back in no time. Anyway, we're about to be late, so can we go?"

Without waiting for an answer, she grasped his hand and transported them elsewhere, her senses immediately filled with the scent of salty air and the sound of gentle crashing waves. In front of them was a massive mansion overlooking a cliff where, sure enough, dark waters of the ocean lapped at the rock below. The estate was brightly lit, mild chatter floating softly out into the night air every time a door was opened. Like the other Council families, the Ellisons enjoyed their sprawling property on the California seaside and had no problems showing it off at their annual Thanksgiving celebrations.

"Impressed?" Stella distantly asked Ric as she walked forward, "Adrian only comes to Colorado for the winters because he wants to, but the rest of his time is spent here. It's pretty, but not really my taste." As they neared the door, the princess paused. "Ric, there's Council family in there, and other high-ranking Society members. I know you like ragging on us with that sharp mouth of yours, but try to reign it in for tonight. I'm sure some of them remember you for one reason or another, and—"

"STELLA!" The door opened and out popped a woman with dark hair and caramel skin with a dimpled smile. "I knew it was you! Come inside, have a drink, let's catch up, girl."

Giving Ric one last 'I mean it' look, Stella let Mia Hadid lead her into the mansion and into a moderately crowded large room. Open French doors allowed guests to exit out into an elaborate courtyard. Though everyone was dressed for the occasion, it was easy to distinguish the Dregs from the crowd; it wasn't so much physical appearance as it was the demeanor. A few of them stood in uncomfortable silence while others were in conversation with fellow Dregs and even some of the Society members.

"That's him? Your bodyguard?" The Egyptian woman whispered to Stella and raised her eyebrows in slight surprise, looking Ric up and down as if she were appraising a cut of meat, and then smirked, a side of her ruby red lips quirking up. "If I hadn't known he was a Dreg, I'd be walking over there to take a bite out of that."

Stella only blinked at her in disbelief, following up with an eye roll but leading her friend away, murmuring something in her ear as the two of them went to make small talk with other party attendees.

And while the princess was occupied with chit chat and guests, it didn't take long for someone to step up next to Ric. A man somewhere in his early thirties walked out from behind and stopped next to the Dreg, holding a glass of deep red wine that was promptly brought up to his lips. He was dressed in obviously expensive tailored clothing, the tux fitting his tall form quite nicely, and jet black hair that was artfully tousled framed the top of his head while a shadow of facial hair was slightly visible around his jaw. Piercing blue eyes surveyed the crowd and he opened his mouth to speak, talking quietly enough so that Ric could hear, though his gaze remained forward.

"So you're the lucky one, huh?" He asked after bringing his arm down, swirling the red liquid lightly in the glass, "How's the princess babysitting coming along? ... I have certainly heard a lot about the infamous Ricendithas Wolfswift, and I can only imagine how boring it must be to just watch her day in and day out in that cheesy Colorado cabin of hers. Luckily for you, you can pass the time pretty easily if you wanted to. With her, I mean."

His blue orbs flashed over to Ric for just the briefest moment, and a corner of his lips tugged upwards with the ghost of a smile. "You tried to hit that up yet? Twinkle Star Durante over there seems like a hard bitch to crack, but she's just as simple as any other air headed woman out there. The key is playing up the romance and compliments 'cause she's a sucker for that shit. I hardly know if it would work the same for someone like you, but it's always worth a shot."

The stranger handed his wine glass to a passing waiter and then stepped forward, putting one hand in his pocket as he used the other to gesture to someone across the room. Soon enough a carefree giggle could be heard, and Stella came flouncing back, alone this time but with a wide smile on her face. She squealed as she hugged the dark-haired man, who then caught her in his arms and swung her around so that Stella's back was to the bodyguard while he was facing Ric. Slyly, he gently removed a hand from around her waist and shifted it down so that it was hovering in the air just a hair's breadth away from her perky butt. The man winked at the Dreg and then straightened his posture, gazing down at Stella with a complete change in demeanor, his features looking somehow kinder than before.

"Feels like I haven't seen you in forever, Star. And wow, looking just as stunning as ever! You always did the beauty thing so effortless."

"Stop it," the princess murmured back, even though she seemed to beam with joy at the rare, familiar nickname, a pink blush coloring her cheeks. Then turning to Ric, she flashed her bodyguard a warm smile. "Ric, have you two met already? This is a good friend of mine—"

"I don't think we've met at all," the stranger lied smoothly, playful wickedness on his face as he offered his hand for a handshake, finally introducing himself. "Zeus. Zeus Ellison."

Even if Ric had protested, it wasn't like either of them were going to go anywhere; best just to get this over with. Hopefully they wouldn't stay too long, he didn't know how much of a snobby atmosphere he could tolerate. Those insufferable braggarts pretending to be better than everyone beneath them on the social ladder, acting as if standing had any real impact.

And soon enough, he was transported to a seaside estate. Truth be told, it was an impressive establishment, even someone like the warlock could appreciate the effort that went into building such an elaborate mansion. The chilly ocean winds made him shiver a little though, his body very much used to the insulation his cloak and armor provided him. And the thought of having to mingle only added to the tremors, though more in mild disgust than anything else.

"It's just one night...It's just one night. Never have to see them again, it's just one night."

That was what he kept telling himself; until a shrill voice shattered his mantra, his eyes narrowing at the dark-skinned woman who was busy hugging and ushering his charge into the depths of the estate. Naturally, those who knew what he was seemed more than a little disconcerted at his appearance; though a few raised their glasses at him as if saying 'You clean up nicely...For a Dreg."

"This is fucking bullshit..." he thought to himself, taking a glass of wine as he stayed at the farthest possible distance from her; anyone could see that he was tense. So tense that even some of the other Dregs were looking at him as if to say 'Chill, man'. But could they blame him? He'd spent a good chunk of time on the run from these pricks, or rather the agents these pricks hired as they were too good to get their own fucking hands dirty.

As cliche as it was to say, he was forced to be buddy-buddy with the enemy. Nonetheless, he took a deep breath and partook of the wine, downing the whole cup in one gulp before letting out a sigh. "Weak...Gonna need more if I want to make it through this without putting someone's head through a wall" the warlock murmured mentally. But he soon found himself no longer alone; another Society snob came up to greet him, instantly launching into a tirade about his babysitting Stella. Still...It was pretty funny to hear him say how easy Stella was if one could master the art of smooth-talking.

And then came something he never expected to see: Well now, maybe this silver-spoon fed little brat was onto something. Stella was giggling and holding onto him like a ditzy schoolgirl, failing to notice his phantom ass-grab. An action that made Ric smile a little; maybe this one wasn't so bad.

A formal greeting couldn't hurt, right?

"Ricendithas Wolfswift" he replied, reaching out to the proferred hand and shaking, 'accidentally' squeezing a little too hard and making Zeus grimace a little. "Whew, that's a firm grip you get there, pal." the elder Eillison brother said with a slight smirk, shaking his hand out. Still, Zeus was surprised this Dreg went along with the ruse; he could tell this one wasn't exactly a push-over.

"So, you're Stella's bodyguard then?" Zeus continued, keeping up the ruse since the Dreg seemed to be playing along. "Surprised Daddy would pick someone with his reputation, Star...But then maybe it was on purpose?" Zeus with another small smirk, eyeing the warlock to see what he might say or do.

"Not to make myself sound important or anything, because let's face it, Dregs - especially ones like me - are trash to Society. You know how that goes, I'm sure. Having a good bit of notoriety will help keep some from feeling particularly brave. The rest I will deal with as need be." he then added, taking another glass of wine from a passing waiter and downing it again. "Thirsty there, Mr. Wolfswift? Well, by all means, drink up. We've got enough wine here to put every frathouse in America in the ground." Ric just grinned and raised his empty glass, seeming to behave somewhat civilly.

"If you don't mind my asking though...What's up with your eye? You lose it in prison?" Zeus then asked rather bluntly, motioning to the eyepatch that adorned Ric's left eye. "Not in prison, no. Helped more than a few 'misplace' theirs, maybe, but not mine." was all Ric said before taking another glass of wine, leaving Zeus hanging on the potential answer and the warlock grinning goofily. Zeus, however, quickly realized the warlock didn't want to share and relaxed his posture, pursing his lips a little as he stated "Alright, fair enough."

Turning to Stella, Zeus just snickered, "Hey, how about we ditch the crowds and go somewhere we can catch up?" He then turned back to the warlock, "Somewhere private." Ric just shrugged, "Don't mind me...." And with that, the elder Ellison took draped an arm around her shoulder and led her off.

But before Ric could follow, he felt a tap on his shoulder; the warlock turned and saw none other than Lorencio standing behind him. "Well well...Seems Stella really does have her mother's touch with fashion. You look quite good in the tux, Mr. Wolfswift; believe it or not, you're rather handsome in that attire." said the Italian, something that made Ric pause in his reply. "Did this just happen?" Ric thought to himself, a look of puzzlement readily evident on his face.

"Erm...Thanks" was all he could say; heaving a sigh, Lorencio just added, "Look, I know about your apprehension regarding the Council. And given your history, I can't fully blame you...But if I might be so forward, the next time you want to fly into a rage, please be as far from Stella as possible." Ric just snorted, "Your little contract makes that far easier said than done. And she's lucky they threatened her before going after me; had they killed me first, she would have been easy prey for those two." Ric figured her father had his feelers out for anything pertaining to his daughter's safety.

A forlorn expression crossed Stella's father's face, his voice somber "I know...I just wish you weren't so easily pushed." Ric just grinned slyly, "You're the one who said you researched me...What did you think you were getting, her knight in shining armor? I got the armor sure...But I'm not much into the whole moral code bullshit. Not really my style. Besides, you wanted me to keep her safe and I did. Speaking of which...You might want to keep an eye on that Ellison kid. Zeus...Trust me when I say I know his type all too well."

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

"Because he and you are the same, is that right?" Another voice entered the conversation, and a Korean woman stepped up next to her husband, her eyes regarding Ric coldly. It was obvious she didn't like the Dreg, and everything about her expressed contempt for the bodyguard.

"Soyeon, don't be so rude to the man," Lorencio gently chastised his wife, "he is keeping our daughter safe, and he's doing an excellent job of it." Turning back to Ric, he said, "Zeus and Stella have been friends for a long time. What makes you say that?"

Soyeon continued to glare at Ric. "And why should we look out for him when you're the one who's her bodyguard? You sent her out of your sight. Despicable. As her bodyguard, you can trust no one and must know where she is at all times. I heard what happened in Japan. How are you ever going to keep her safe?" And with that, Stella's mother turned away from them, walking outside to greet other Council families.

* * * * * *​

The two of them walked down a lonely hallway, his hand at the small of her back, until Stella stopped abruptly in her tracks. Foreign magic prevented her from stepping away any further, and she gripped Zeus's arm to keep herself from stumbling.

"You okay?" he asked her, one of his arms snaking around her waist.

"Yeah..." she pouted in response, "Just some silly little distance restriction. I can't be too far away from Ric. Dad's rules, and you know how magical contracts are."

"Seriously? Harsh, but we can work around it." Zeus smiled warmly down at her, pausing for a moment before opening a door to their right, taking a quick peek inside before holding the door open for her. She was able to walk inside without the magic from the contract holding her back, but once inside she turned to give the eldest Ellison son a familiar, teasing eye roll.

"Seriously?" Stella echoed as she gestured around the walls lined with books, nodding to the chaise-lounge in one of the corners, and tilting her head to the study desk at the back of the room. A fond feeling tugged at her inside; it was Zeus's private study area back when he lived at the sprawling mansion, a place that held a quite a few memories for the princess. "So was this your plan all along? This is the 'somewhere private' you wanted to go?" She laughed and shook her head, taking a seat on the chaise-lounge, leaning back on her wrists and letting her straightened hair fall behind her, cascading down her back.

Zeus only gave a boyish grin, taking a seat beside her. "Not specifically planned, no, but it was an awesome coincidence. I mean, c'mon, it's not like this is the first time you've been in here... So how's the new princess stuff coming along? That's totally insane, Star. One moment you're this cute little thing, and the next time I see you, you're practically Society royalty!"

"Hmm?" the princess murmured absentmindedly, her thoughts entirely somewhere else for the moment. No, it definitely wasn't Stella's first time in this room. In fact this was where she had shared her private, special moments with the eldest Ellison back when she was 18 or 19. True to what Adrian decided to so openly share at that Chinese place, she considered Zeus more or less her first love. But he was married now, and whatever she thought they had was behind them. Still, he was a good friend and someone she genuinely liked as a person.

"The princess thing?" Zeus repeated, his little grin growing even wider, "you daydreaming too much about the room or what?

"Of course not! It's just been a long time... Nothing much on the princess thing though. At some point I'm supposed to be brought to the Council where they're going to fill me in on all my new duties. But that's not gonna be for a while." She shrugged and glanced away, then slumped the side of her head on his arm, closing her eyes and groaning softly. "I just wish it hadn't been this early. Really, I should've had ten, maybe twenty more years before having to deal with this shit."

"Well you'd make a great queen for sure. Talented, powerful, and beautiful to top it off..."

Stella smiled pleasantly, though she froze when she felt Zeus's hand on her knee, slowly moving up a safe distance to her thigh, and then going back down again. Her eyes snapped open to see the tips of his fingers slipping underneath the edge of the orange dress. "What're you doing?"

"Just having fun..." He leaned down to nuzzle her neck, and Stella could feel her heartbeat quicken.

"We can't be doing this," she breathed out, though she made no move to stop him. "You know what our expectations are..."

"You still believe that fairy tale, Star?" Zeus looked her in the eyes, a genuine look of surprise on his face. "The whole 'staying pure' thing? You want to know the real reason we're told promiscuity is bad? I mean nobody wants to be as crass and sexually open as the Dregs, but the Ten are the most powerful families in Society, and I'd imagine they wanted to keep that power where it is, yeah? Imagine if—"

"Aren't you married?"

Zeus only grinned down at her once more. "A little fun never hurt anybody. Besides, I've missed you... missed this..." He wound a hand in her hair and tilted her head back to kiss her, his other hand reaching behind to begin pulling down the zipper at her back. He had her exactly where he wanted her.

Ric seemed a little taken aback at this woman's sudden forwardness; though Lorencio's mention of her name brought to mind the conversation his friend in Japan and Stella had.

Soyeon....This was Stella's mother. No wonder she was talking about so crassly. Like he was nothing more than subhuman garbage; not that he expected a snobby elitist bitch to think anything less of him, however. A slight smirk played across his face as she (much to his lack of surprise) berated him for his failure to fully protect her daughter. The contract minimally covered psychological trauma save for extreme distress, and focused almost solely on making sure she was alive and well to celebrate becoming the Queen of Society...Whatever the fuck that meant.

And then she stormed off, leaving the two men to their business once more. "She's pretty fiery, isn't she?" Ric joked, Lorencio responding "You'll have to forgive her rudeness; I'll admit I was less than pleased Stella had to witness such brutality. But you were performing your duty and living up to your reputation at the same time, so I suppose I can somewhat forgive you."

Taking another sip of his drink, Lorencio added "As to my daughter...I don't suppose you know where she went with that Ellison boy? I had thought he would respect the need for her stay to maintain her purity; though if someone as promiscuous as you is pointing it out, maybe I misinterpreted him as a lecher." Ric grinned and took yet another glass of wine from a passing waiter, "Ah, don't feel too bad about it; we all have lapses in judgment. But worry not, I know exactly where she is...." He then leaned in closer and added in a whisper, "And if you ask me, whoever teaches warding ought to be fired. No wonder you Council assholes need so many bodyguards, hahaha."

The Italian man's hand clenched his glass a little tighter, his eyes narrowing at the Dreg. The warlock just winked at him with his visible eye, stating "Relax, because I'm about to do you a solid. Ol' Zeus is feeling a little frisky, so if you'll excuse me...." At this he sucked down the wine and with a flick of the wrist, vanished from sight; Lorencio scrambled and barely managed to catch the glass as it fell through the air. Letting out a relieved sigh, he stood up and went to rejoin the party-goers; he would get to the Ellison boy in good time.

Zeus, meanwhile, was just grinning now that he had Stella frozen like a deer in headlights, their lips meeting in a light kiss; the sound of the zipper being undone filled the room, the fabric parting to reveal the slightly pale flesh beneath. He knew Stella was still 'intact'; and honestly, his wife was kind of a bore in bed a lot of the time. At least with Stella, he could pop that cherry and have her squirming wildly under him. They used to do all sorts of things like this before he got hitched; still, she might get spooked if he went straight for the main course. Best to savor the appetizer first.

And the minutes passed by, Zeus slowly undid more and more of her clothing; her shoulders and swells of her breasts were visible now that he'd worked the top of her dress down a ways. In truth, he probably wasn't going to go very far; not yet, at least. He'd tease her for a bit, get her excited so that he could leave her wanting more. Cruel? Maybe, but it just meant the next time would get even heavier.

However, before his plan could come to fruition, he felt a tap on his shoulder. "Surprise..." he heard a familiar voice say, making his body freeze up. "Dude...Not cool." Zeus just replied; well, this was one way to kill the mood. "Sorry, Zeus. Daddy Durante's contract covers keeping his precious daughter's 'innocence' untouched." The Ellison boy glared at him, adding "Doesn't mean you need to follow it to the letter." Ric just grinned as he patted his groin, "Actually, I do. If I didn't act right now, I'd have the equivalent pain of a thousand rusty razor blades being shoved into my junk. If it were up to me, you two could be having all the fun you want; I honestly couldn't care less about your purity pledge."

Zeus just chuckled as he stood back up, "So, you weren't doing it just to spite me then." The warlock shrugged, "Like I said, I couldn't possibly care less about what you do behind closed doors. And hey, I totally get it, man; a chance to have some fun with a beautiful woman? You'd have to be stupid to pass that up." Zeus' own grin widened, "You know, I think you and I could get to be really good friends. You know, so long as you don't cockblock me with every turn." Turning back to Stella, he then said "Sorry, Star; guess the fun'll have to wait for now. I'll catch you around." And just like that, he left the two of them alone.

Ric, meanwhile, just looked at Stella with what one might call a 'shit-eating grin' on his face. Shaking his head in mock admonishment, "Tsk tsk, you're a naughty one, Princess. Willing to give it up so easily; it's a shame your father put a hands-off clause in the contract." He then grinned more lecherously, "Even if you've been nothing but a pain in the ass, I'd gladly help you scratch that itch, you know."

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

"That's not funny!" Stella hissed at Ric, giving him a look of wide-eyed shock. She tucked her arms against her chest to hide the taste of skin and the curve of her breasts, suddenly aware of how immodest and shameless she looked. The hem of the dress had been pushed up past mid-thigh, and even with her legs tightly closed together, it was obvious Zeus's hands had nearly reached places that they shouldn't have been. Warmth flooded her face, embarrassment and desire running through her from the heated moment with her former love, and she averted her eyes downwards to avoid seeing her bodyguard's teasing gaze.

"There is no itch," she continued rather coldly, though it wasn't Ric that annoyed her. "None."

Zeus had always been like that, a constant flirt who held nothing back, teasing her with the possibility of the two of them being together, and then rudely taking that hope away only to reassure her that he did like her. That he was interested in her. That she was something special to him. Obviously that wasn't the case seeing as he still had the conscience and the balls to marry the girl he had cheated on, but... a part of Stella truly wanted to believe he was sincere in his actions and feelings toward her. But she was older now, and she needed to stop falling for that game. After all, that's all she was to him. A fun trinket whose novelty would wear off once he got tired of it. Yet she was still charmed by his good looks and a few, silly little compliments.

The princess straightened her dress and sighed, feeling childish at the wateriness that suddenly swam in her eyes, but she shook it off and instead stood in front of Ric. "This never happened," she said flatly, the words leaving in almost a whisper. Not only was it something that Society wouldn't approve of, but it was something she wanted to forget entirely.

She turned around and brought her hair to one side to reveal bare flesh; the zipper hung open to almost the small of her back, showing off the lightly toned muscle and smooth skin. "Can you zip me up?" she asked, trusting him enough not to cop a feel. He could look, but touching was definitely off limits. "Are you finding the party okay? See an old friend or two? Meet anyone interesting?"

"Well, that's a fine way to thank someone who just saved your ass from committing Society suicide." Ric continued; this party just got better all the time, he thought to himself. He had some serious dirt on her now; though as satisfying as revealing her little escapade with Zeus would have been, it was best if he saved it for when he needed it.

So he would oblige her request...For the time being.

"What never happened? I haven't the faintest idea what you're referring to." the warlock teased, stepping around to come behind Stella; and with a flick of his fingers, he zipped up her dress without even having to make contact. "Though I'll admit, you've definitely got a great body under that dress, Princess." He wouldn't carry it further than that; there was a time to press the advantage and times to leave it at that. This was one of the latter.

At her question, he just chuckled, "As a matter of fact, I did. I came across your mother...Choi So-yeon, right? I see where you got your fiery side from, little lady. And whew, I can tell she doesn't approve of me in the slightest; your father was actually civil towards me this time around, so that balanced things out." His next words were a little more serious, "But hey, Stella...Listen, if you REALLY want to know something. And I know you're not stupid." A little pause followed, him shrugging his shoulders as he tacked on, "Well, you're not that stupid. I know more men like Zeus than I care to tell you about; if you're knowingly looking for a one-night stand, he's your guy. Other than that, you're better off cutting him out...Trust me when I say I know his type."

At this he couldn't wonder if Stella would echo her mother's words; he remembered Sanshiro commenting on how alike they were, and based on the short interaction he could see the resemblance.

But before she might get a chance to respond, he then added, "We probably ought to head back out though; don't want your folks getting the wrong idea about the two of us you know. Might lead to some uncomfortable 'questions', if you catch my drift. 'Sides, think they might start serving dinner soon."

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

"You think I don't know that?" Stella snapped at him, though not unkindly, "this is hardly the first time it's happened." The part she kept out was that it was hard to just cut him out of her life. It was something that was easier said than done, but she didn't want him to know how easily she was affected by just some compliments and a few gentle touches.

She walked over to a mirror that hung above Zeus's desk, ignoring Ric's suggestion to start heading back, and started fixing her mildly disheveled hair, smoothing the locks down before beginning to twist pieces of it up and pin them in a simple up-do. "Of course mom doesn't like you," she smirked at him through the mirror, raising her eyebrows in amusement, "You requested quite a bit of women to your cell, Ric. Not that it's any of my business, but it became Soyeon's business when she found out you'd be literally and figuratively tied to me. Basically she thinks you're kind of a slut, but I think you can be a gentleman... Sometimes. When you want to be." Stella laughed and grabbed the small bag on the couch, and then walked to the door. "You coming?" she teased, opening it and letting the cacophony of party sounds float in.

"The dinner... You'd better sit with me," she murmured to him as they walked to the grand ballroom where round tables were set up, "I don't think many people here would feel comfortable with you anywhere else. And I think you'd like it there anyway. Look." She pointed out a table with name cards on them, reading Durante - Ellison - Hadid, and at that table was Mia, Adrian, and a familiar redhead who was dressed in a daring black gown. Rowena.

"STELLA!" Mia squealed, pulling her down into a seat, "You disappeared for a while, girl."

"Lookin' hot, lightbulb," Adrian grinned, earning a stern look from Rowena. "What? I'm not outta line. I'm just letting her know how much I appreciate her presence at my party."

"You'd better take a good look then, because you're never gonna get it," Mia fired at him, but turned to Ric afterward and flashed him a sweet smile. "And how's you're night going? The dinner menu is supposed to be really great tonight. And let me tell you, I have definitely seen something that I want to eat, I could just, Mmm—"

"Oooookay, and hey to you guys too," Stella greeted them, squeezing Mia's shoulder firmly and even nodding to Adrian's bodyguard. "You look stunning, Rowena. That dress is gorgeous." No matter how annoying she thought the woman was, it was undeniable that the gown accentuated those curves in every right way possible. Only one spot was left open at the table, a spot that was presumably for Zeus, but he was always off doing his own thing.

"So Ric," Adrian grinned at him as plates of food began being served. "While we're all here and having a good time, I figured you could share some nice stories from Siberia. Mia here seems super interested and won't shut the fuck up with her questions about you, so why don't you spook her enough so she can finally quit?"

Ric was all too eager to let Stella feel even the slightest bit of shame; served them right for judging the Dregs about being overtly sexual. Especially when a Princess of all people was breaking the rules. Oh god, did he want to just bust her right then and there...But who would believe him? He was a Dreg, no one would EVER sincerely believe him if he told them one of their precious children almost got to doing the nasty. Even if it was just heavy petting and not actually getting the 'D'.

"You're one to talk" Ric just replied with a bemused grin; the warlock might have just wanted women for one thing, but at least they knew about it. These uppity snobs just pretended they were better than everyone else; he knew more than a few so-called 'upstanding citizens' that were quite the freaks between the sheets.

Still, it seemed like it was go time for the dinner; following Stella, he certainly didn't hesitate to take notice of Rowena. "Oooo, you naughty little tease...Bet you're not wearing anything under that pretty thing." Ric growled playfully, causing Rowena to snicker, "Oh, stop, you." She then gave him a sly wink and replied, "But you don't clean up too bad yourself, stud. Gotta say, it looks better on you than I thought it would." The witch then shot him a sly grin that said "Later, daredevil."

Both of them then had to hold in their laughs as the tan-skinned beauty chided in on Adrian's little comment. Of course, that was before Mia turned her increasingly predatory gaze to the warlock; it was pretty damned obvious what she was suggesting. And far be it from him to deny a lady in need, especially since the oh-so-delicious irony would make it all the sweeter. He had to wonder.

"Well, thanks love! You're pulling that dress off quite nicely yourself, Stella. It suits you well." she then replied honestly, raising her glass of wine to her lips. And then Adrian's attitude almost quickly spoiled it as he returned Mia's earlier burn with one of his own. Something that left Ric in quite a pickle; oh the stories he could tell. No doubt Adrian would be waking up at night with some serious wetness issues in his sheets, and Mia didn't seem like someone with too strong a constitution. A sharp tongue, perhaps, but nothing that could protect her from the tales he could weave.

Besides...Egging her on seemed more fun, since Adrian would get likely become exasperated.

Yeah, that would work just fine.

"Siberia? I was sitting in a dark hole there, nothing nice about it. Chained up almost the entire day, day after day, oh the misery was all too real for poor little me. Even the occasional visit of the lovely maidens of Russia did little to quell the aching of my heart." Ric then played it up, even putting the back of his hand to his forehead in mock desperation. "Now, before I got locked up is where the real juicy parts are. I was a monster hunter, see. One of the very best, like no one ever was. Werewolves, vamps, ghouls, you name it I probably killed it."

Adrian rolled his eyes, instantly seeing what he was doing; great, and Mia just happened to love macho guys. He shot Ric a look as if to tell him "I fucking hate you", which Ric leered back with the implication "Love you too." He then launched into a (slightly toned-down) tirade about some of his famous conquests: A vampire village in Romania, a rogue but oddly stunning Lamia in Greece, and more than a few times he had to go after fellow Dregs as conditions for his stay at Periculosis.

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

Stella watched Mia become engrossed with Ric's tales, knowing her friend was unashamed and open about her attraction to people regardless of whether they were a Dreg or not. Mia was certainly braver than most Society members, but only because she knew how to ride the line between being casually flirtatious and downright dirty. And while being a flirt did manage to turn heads and earn a few disapproving glances, it wasn't against the rules, even to flirt with a Dreg. But with Ric? Stella could only wonder why her friend found him so attractive. Sure, he had a build on him and a never ending list of accomplishments, but still, he was Ric. It was something she had no hope of understanding, but it was nevertheless amusing to see Mia have her fun.

"Are you happy yet, Mia?" Adrian asked, his tone flat but filled with such irritation that it was impossible not to notice. "The man kills everything in sight, just like all the other Dregs locked up in the frozen ice box. Wow, so special. Ooooo. Are we done now?"

"Done? Maybe. For now." Mia sunk a spoon into the tiramisu cake in front of her and ate a small bite of it before turning to the princess. "Let's trade, Stella. I get Ric, and you can have Ibrahim. Sound good?"

"I'd really rather not," Stella grinned at her friend. Even if she and Ric weren't on the best of terms, she would rather take him over Ibrahim's constant wandering hands and dirty innuendos. Mia didn't mind them of course, but Stella had a feeling he'd likely drive her insane. "Besides, I couldn't hand him over even if I tried. The contract was solid, girl."

"Lucky," Mia almost purred, "you can tie me up with him anytime."

A look of disgust washed over Adrian's face, but before he could say anything, there was shuffling noise, and he watched his father stand and take a position at the front of the room. The head of House, Benedict Ellison, cleared his throat and waited for the room to quiet down before he began to speak.

"Thank you all for coming tonight to this year's Thanksgiving celebration. Not only is it a chance for us to celebrate our magical community and all that we have worked for over the years, but this should also be about relaxing and appreciating one another. Standing behind one another. Because this is how we truly support this flourishing community of ours, how we help maintain peace and the quality of magical lives everywhere. And it only brings me such great happiness to see all of us together, acting as one unit and moving on toward the future." Clapping erupted and Benedict smiled at his crowd. He was obviously used to giving flowery speeches and charming his guests, a trait that seemed to run in the family. "But this year, we also have something else to be incredibly grateful for. On behalf of the Council, we are so grateful and pleased to announce the Marking of our newest royal successor, Princess Ellastaria of House Durante."

She knew this would happen. Stella stood and nodded politely at head of House Ellison, a gentle smile lifting her lips to acknowledge those around her who were applauding. Ahead, she saw her parents watching her like hawks as if to say, don't mess this up, but there was also love in their gazes as well as... pride? Stella was the first Durante in a number of centuries to be Marked, and because her Marking had been at such a young age there were high expectations of her. Already she could hear the whispers of those in the crowd who hadn't known she was the royal successor. Some of them good, others neutral, and still others doubtful and brutal in their disapproval.

"Furthermore," Benedict continued as the sounds died down and Stella had taken a seat once more, "I would like to—"

He was cut off by a loud crack filled the room, startling more than a few guests. Even Stella jolted in her seat, eyes following the direction of the thunderous noise to the center of the room. A man now stood there with his arms crossed, his bright, traditional Nigerian clothing creating a striking contrast against his dark skin. On his face was a dark expression, his jaw clenched as he ground his teeth. Lorencio and some of the other Council members stood at the presence of the inheritor of House Chidume, son of the current king.

"Nonso, is everything alright?" Lorencio asked him, the room falling eerily quiet at the African man's appearance. Though he hadn't said a word, the tension in the air was so thick it could have been cut with a knife.

Finally, Nonso's gravelly voice came out almost broken, anger and grief coloring his words. "My father is dead, murdered in his own home. And this... this was all I found.

He threw down a heap of scuffed black cloth, and a few women screamed at the news of the dead king while a round of gasps went around the room, followed by whispers and quiet murmurs. But Stella's blood froze in her veins, her breath catching in her throat as she caught a closer glimpse of the black material. It was heavy, and the pattern of blueish-white sigils was something that she would have instantly recognized anywhere.

Ric's cloak lay on the floor.

Ric was clearly having too much fun at Adrian's expense, drinking the undivided attention in like he would a bottle of Stella's Lambrusco. And the way Mia was eating it up just made the whole thing so much more enjoyable. And truth be told, he could go on for so much longer, but then the waiters in their fancy little monkey suits of their own came out and started serving out the hand-carved meats, fresh salads and breads along with an assortment of too-rich-for-Dreg-blood appetizers and finger foods.

Ric almost immediately began to dig in, his utensil skills quite delicate despite his reputation as a ravenous devourer of just about anything; he still managed to rip through an entire leg and most of the potatoes before Benedict Ellison began his speech. And he still continued to eat until he felt an elbow; he looked to his left to see Rowena of all people giving him a slight look as if to say 'Pay attention'. This made Ric set down his fork and knife; it wasn't his fault he was always starving. Fire magic didn't have an unlimited source of power; in fact, just like earth magic it tremendously spiked the user's metabolism and made them want to eat a lot more food than most people.

And then came the honorable mention: The Marked, Teaser of Dicks, the Untouched, Princess Ellastaria Durante. He joined in the rumble of applause as they announced her title and how great it was they found another Queen to replace the current throne-bitch. Still...He had to wonder just what it was the Royal Class did. They were hardly seen in public, save for the occasional 'meet and greet' at certain high-class functions that he'd been 'invited to'.

And while it was quite in fact a heart-warming speech, Ric couldn't give a flying fig about any of it; ooo, an infinity tattoo, he thought to himself. But there would soon be quite the unexpected development, and some chance for Ric to have his boredom temporarily alleviated.

So...The king was dead. All around him, the other Council snobs were tearing up; Rowena seemed genuinely surprised, and even a few of the other Dregs looked in honest grief as they took in the gravity of the news. The warlock, however, just remained impassive as he watched on; though Ric couldn't help wander why he held the bundle in his strong arms like that. But then it became quite clear...

That was his cloak. Something that certainly succeeded in grabbing his attention, and something he knew would only come to one inevitable conclusion.

'The hell' he barely managed to whisper, only for Nonso to add in his heavy Nigerian accent, "I have come to find the one I know is responsible for this atrocity." His dark eyes scanned the crowd, quickly locking onto Stella's bodyguard and pointing a ring-adorned finger right at him. "You! Ricendithas Wolfswift! You murdered my father! I give you one chance to come peacefully!"

Ric just sighed and relaxed a little; he knew that Nonso was good. But he was also an excellent judge of power; that was House Chidume's specialty magic after all. A most useful talent for risk assessment, especially when it came to trapping Dregs. And because of this, Ric knew very damn well that Nonso had no chance of beating him one-on-one. No doubt he had people outside, evidenced when several similarly bright-garbed men stepped through the doorway to flank the Prince's sides.

"Figures; everyone just wants to make ol' Ricendithas the fall guy. Won't even get to enjoy the rest of my food." the warlock muttered as he stood up, Nonso barking "My father has been murdered, and you worry about eating?! Only a guilty man would have no conscience about his conscience!" Pinching the bridge of his nose, Ric exasperatedly replied, "Or, you know, I could genuinely not give a fuck." Several Council people, Rowena and Mia included, stared at him in shock over his callous response.

"Oh, don't look at me that way; everyone in this room probably knows I wouldn't bat so much as an eye if the Council just vanished for no reason. Hell, I'd probably get drunker than...." he started to say, only for Nonso to shout "Enough! I will say this once more! Come quietly, or I will take you by force!"

Ric just chuckled, "You know, someone real clever could have just planted that there. There's always that angle...But I guess your centuries of inbreeding made you a little slow, hasn't it?" Nonso grimaced even more, "That's it! Guards, take him prisoner so he may stand trial for his crime!" And as his men moved to capture him, their hands glowing with magic-enhanced 'nets', Nonso growled, "I will see that you get the death penalty, Wolfswift!"

But at that moment, what seemed like every knife in the house came flying from all directions, only stopping just inches from the Nigerian's well-cared for physique. And needless to say, his men stopped and awaited orders, worried that a false misstep would jeopardize their leader's life. "Alright...Let's just say, you're right. I murdered the king, your father, in cold blood. What's my motivation?" Nonso swallowed a little, a particularly large blade aimed right at his Adam's apple, before replying "Why don't you tell me? And the twenty witnesses who saw you fleeing the palace!?" The warlock pursed his lips, "Witnesses, huh?" That was a problem; there were certainly more than enough people that would love to pin this on him and get him out of their hair for good.

"Before you make this any worse for yourself, Wolfswift" the prince muttered, trying to lean his head away from the slowly encroaching knives, "We have you dead to rights on this. Turn yourself over, and you will be given a fair trial." Ric just grinned maliciously, a hint of a not-so-friendly spark in his eye, "You just make yourself sound stupider with every sentence, you know that?!" The knives pressed even closer, a few causing beads of blood to appear on Nonso's neck and arms, Ric continuing with an increasing anger in his tone, "If I REALLY killed the king, you think for a second I would hesitate to carve you, a pampered pompous self-righteous PRINCE, like the Thanksgiving turkey you're stopping me from enjoying?!? WELL...DO YOU?!"

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

Stella could feel Mia clasp her hand hard underneath the table as knives came flying at the Nigerian prince from all directions, and she looked over to see her friend wide-eyed in fear. Gone was the dashing man who had told amusing stories over dinner and some wine. This was the true Ricendithas Wolfswift, if only just irrationally angry at the false accusation of having murdered their King. "Mia..." the princess muttered, removing her hand from the vice like grip and stretching her fingers. Somehow this simple dinner had turned into a disaster, and while she knew the disaster wasn't caused by Ric, she also knew the two of them were going to be at the center of all of it. How could they not be, with his cloak laying on the ground and multiple witnesses claiming to have seen him fleeing the palace? She reached over and tugged on the sleeve of his tuxedo jacket, shaking her head. "Please, Ric, not now," she whispered, but as soon as she said the words, whispers floated to her ears from all around:

"Has she no spine?"

"He murdered our king and she treats him that way?"

"And she's going to be our Queen?"

The princess felt her friend's hand wrap around her again, though in a supportive way this time. She should have figured people would take the chance to criticize her, especially since she had been known for treating the Dregs with more kindness than most Society members would have. And with the news of King Chidume's death, it meant that she was now on the direct path to ascending to the throne.

"That's enough, Ric," Stella attempted to stop him once more, this time with a raised her voice as if she were trying to exercise authority over him. She knew in her mind that there was no way in hell Ric was going to take the display of control from her, but it did have the desired effect over the crowd just as she'd intended: those who had previously been gossiping about the poor reflection of Ric on herself and her House were now silent, watching as she commanded him like one would an insolent child. Then privately to him, she nudged him just a flavor of emotion manipulation; it was nowhere near enough to alter his psychological state—she knew very well that he would be able to resist it anyway—but a sense calmness and soothing briefly touched his mind as if suggesting him to cool it and release the pressure of the knives. At the rate he was going, Ric would find himself dead even if he killed Nonso first. And while Stella knew she had bigger fish to fry considering the only way to have even gotten the cloak was to break into her Colorado home, the current situation was something she had to maneuver out of carefully. "That's enough," she said again, though more calmly this time.

"He's right, you know," another voice came seemingly out of nowhere, and all eyes in the room switched gaze to Zeus Ellison, who was casually leaning his arm against the back of a chair. When had he arrived, and where had he come from? "What Ricendithas is saying, I mean. If he had killed a king, don't you think it odd that he would have returned here?" A few uncomfortable glances shifted from person to person at Zeus's words as if they almost believed his honeyed words and budding logic. "More than that, hasn't anyone considered where dear Ellastaria was during all of this?" He nodded to the princess, and she nearly smiled back in relief if it hadn't been for his following statement. "You didn't leave him alone at all while you were here, did you? There wasn't any point in time when he could have slipped away, correct?"

Stella's expression remained neutral save for a tinge of pink blush that colored her cheeks, partially out of embarrassment from knowing exactly what Zeus was referring to, but also out of anger. Out of all the times and places to tease her, he had to choose right then and there? "Of course not," she answered him, "he was here in this home the entire time."

"Was he? That's the biggest question here, I think. Because you were with him the entire time he had supposedly gone missing to commit this atrocious act, he'd have an alibi. Which I'm sure would be very helpful, wouldn't it, Mr. Wolfswift?" Zeus flashed the Dreg a dirty smirk, knowing full well that Stella wouldn't ever admit to having been with Ric in the study after he caught her doing some rather unladylike activities.

"There's also his work contract to consider," Lorencio tentatively offered to the conversation, his words carefully cutting the tension in the air as he regarded both his Council friend and his daughter's bodyguard. "There's a distance restriction. Ellastaria would have had to be with him at the time, and I know without a doubt that my daughter would not have agreed to that."

"So you're saying your daughter, inexperienced by both age and magic, would have had the ability to refuse and fight off the Dreg? I think all of us here can see that he could have just taken her with him if he wanted to." Nonso's voice was biting and cold, the movement of his jaw and throat causing a few knives to prick him with the slightest bit of added pressure, drawing more droplets of blood.

Lorencio simply looked annoyed. "No. I'm saying there are restrictions specifically placed in, throughout and around that contract that prevents him from forcing her to do anything against her will. In addition to that, the contract prevents him from putting her in harm's way. Stringing her along to a murder isn't the safest of activities, we can all agree on that."

"Of course it's safe if he knows he can win," Nonso spat venomously, his upper lip curling as he glared at Ric for what seemed like the hundredth time. Or maybe the glare had never left since the moment he stepped in and crashed the party.

Benedict cleared his throat loudly to catch the attention of everyone in the room, and he lifted his hands to the Nigerian guards. "I think this has gone on long enough. Would you mind? I think we would all rather not see any deaths on a holiday. There are also guests." After a subtle nod from the prince, the guards backed away and lowered their nets, and the Head of House Ellison turned to Ric, his words kind but firm. "And you? If you would kindly drop my knives. The floor is fine, but do it gently."

Turning to his eldest son, he then said, "Zeus, take Stella and Ricendithas up to my office. The Council will join you there shortly. This is a serious matter that needs to be taken care of immediately."

For a few tense seconds, it seemed like Ric might just very well out carry out his threat to end the Prince's life; however, then the ever-so-wise Princess decided to try and stop him before he could execute the grieving man. The first suggestion went about as well as expected, Ric's gaze firmly locked with Nonso's in a deathly stare-down. The second one, however, made the spark of rage flicker and his mind quieter. He then caught full ear of her third request to stop; though the knives did not move, he let down his guard enough to see that he was at least willing to talk this out.

His eye then flicked over to Zeus, who made a spectacular return just in the nick of time to offer Ric a welcome ally. He said nothing as Stella, him and even Lorencio started going back and forth about the validity of Ric's supposed guilt in the King's murder. He oh so wanted to chime in about where he was exactly, knowing precisely the event that Zeus was referring to, but decided to hold his mouth shut for now. Really, he was being uncharacteristically quiet.

Ric's attention then shifted again to Benedict, the man asking that he drop the blades. Having them retreat a few inches back, the cutlery soon fell to the floor with a loud series of clangs. Perhaps not as gentle as he might have liked, but at least the prince was out of danger now. Needless to say, Ellison looked somewhat miffed at the warlock's subtle and unspoken expletive, the latter of which blew a fake kiss in mocking.

Once they were out of the dining hall, Zeus spoke to Ric, "So, murder of the King, eh? Someone's got a rage-boner for you, my friend, to frame you for something like that." Ric grinned, "Well, I suppose I should be flattered...I'm still hungry though. Hopefully this shit gets sorted out quick so I can eat." A strangled yell was heard, and the men both turned to see Nonso being restrained by some of his guards, "You dare talk so callously of my father?! You're a dead man, Wolfswift!"

"Your Highness, please calm down."

"This monster will get what he deserves, you have my promise sir."

Those were some of the things that the guards holding Nonso back were telling him, trying to avoid another skirmish lest they spill blood in another's house. Nonso did in fact settle a little, though his heavy breathing expressed his outrage far better than any words. And soon, the Prince gently pulled himself free. "I'm fine. I'm fine." he then said, glaring at Ric as he marched onward.

"Let me get that for you guys." Zeus then stated as they reached his father's offcie, opening the fine polished oak doors to a rather plush-looking office; damn, everyone has some deep pockets, Ric thought to himself as he let out a soft whistle. Cushioned couches and chairs were neatly arranged around a large mahogany desk, not unlike the Warden's place in Periculosis. This was clearly a place of business and comfort, and Ric could also see a fine bureau loaded with expensive-looking liquors. Whiskey, vodka, gin, the man had it all. None of the bottles seemed touched though; must restock after every little get-together with his business partners and fellow Councilors.

"Please, gentlemen, have a seat while we wait for dear old Dad to tell us what's up." Zeus then offered, breaking the silence and moments later everyone shuffling in. A few terse seconds later, Benedict, Lorencio and several others - ones Ric could only assume to be fellow Councilors - joined them. Ric was seated firmly at the very back of the room, with the Councilors arranged around the desk. Nonso's men guarded the door, their hateful eyes watchful of the warlock. They shared their Prince's anger at him; how dare he act like it was nothing to him. This man was a devil, and if it were their way he would be put to death immediately. Gods only knew they would be doing everyone a favor with him gone.

"Gentlemen. Ladies." Benedict began once he took a seat at his desk, regarding each of them in turn, "It's quite a tragic turn this holiday took. We had hoped to celebrate the rise of a new leader, one that might help us further prosper." He then shifted his focus to the Prince, adding honestly, "But instead we're greeted with the heart-wrenching news of Nonso's father. Chukwunonso Chidume, you have everyone's deepest condolences." Nonso huffed, "Not everyone's. Yours, I know is truthful and I thank you for it. But he..." the Prince turned his eye to Ric with deep-seated hate, "spews only venom and agony."

Ric just snorted, "Oh, grow up, you big baby." Nonso snarled, "You prove my point with every word, Wolfswift!" This just made the warlock laugh, "Again with this. Look, my dislike for the Council's an open secret, OK? But tell me, where's your proof?" At this one of Nonso's guard stepped forward, "I am proof." He then turned his head and all could see the remains of a burn mark on his jugular, a slender finger touching it gingerly "This is from when you tried to kill me. After you fled the murder scene. I saw your face. I recovered your cloak after the sentries tried to ensnare you. Tell me, where is your alibi now, warlock?"

Damning evidence to be sure, but it seemed Ric was not fazed in the slightest. "And I've made a lot of enemies in the world. More than you realize. But for the sake of argument...." But at this, Benedict cut him off, "Alright, Mr. Wolfswift, that's quite enough. You'll get to make your case when you go before the Tribunal." At this Ric froze, another flash of anger crossing his face, "The hell you talking about, Tribunal?! You're not seriously taking this guy's word! You heard your own fucking son vouch for me, idiot!" The head of the Ellison let out a quiet breath, "Lorencio, help me, please. I have a feeling he's not going to take what I have to say next very well." At this Ric could hardly contain himself, "No way, fuckhead! You spill it right now! What the fuck are you going on about?!"

Benedict sighed, "Ric, I think it would be best for everyone if you turned yourself into custody until this gets resolved." At this the warlock just froze, dumbfounded; custody? They wanted him to sit in JAIL!? For a King he never even saw before, let alone murder?!

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

Stella watched as an uncomfortable silence took over the office, many of the Councilors folding and unfolding their hands on the table or shuffling with their clothing. It was obvious that they all knew who Ric was and either hated or feared him. Some of them even looked as if they felt both emotions. And some of them, in addition to Nonso and his men, apparently hated Ric so much that rage-filled glares were sent his way every few second. Then Lorencio cleared his throat after a few moments, hoping to diffuse the growing sense of anger on both sides. "Ricendithas... These are serious, heavy accusations. If there are witnesses and even someone who claimed you attacked him, along with your cloak as evidence, these all have to be taken into consideration and brought before the Tribunal before any decision is made on what is true or not."

Several Council members nodded their heads, and Benedict looked at his friend in thanks and relief.

"And..." Lorencio continued, "With you as a murder suspect, I think a majority of us would feel more comfortable if you were kept in custody. It's not only for the safety of the people, but for your safety as well." His violet eyes, almost identical to Stella's, flashed over to the Nigerian man sitting to his left, and Nonso let out a harsh laugh.

"He had better pray he's kept in prison. Otherwise I would find him and kill him myself! And what does the princess have to say about all of this?" Nonso directed the question to Stella, leaning forward as he stared her down.

"What about me?" she answered, a stiff coldness to her voice. Really, this was all getting out of hand at this point. While she didn't particularly like Ric, she knew he was innocent. "I already told you I wasn't there, and he wasn't either. If I have no reason to be in your palace, it would have been impossible to find him there."

"Or do you really have no reason?" another woman spoke up, a slight Indian accent coloring her voice, and Stella fought the urge to roll her eyes. Raveena Saini and her House had long been political enemies of the Durantes ever since Giovanni (Stella's great-grandfather) set forth the plans for the D.I.R.T program. Even after two centuries, it seemed her family still had disagreements about the Durantes holding such an influential position within the Council, and with Stella having been chosen as the next Queen, it only fueled her distrust for the Italian House. But she only shrugged and leaned back in her chair, addressing her fellow Councilors. "Killing Adeniji means the girl rises more quickly to the throne, and therefore has a longer ruling term."

"Please, Raveena," Benedict raised a hand, gesturing for her to quiet herself. "Now is not the time for petty arguments."

"Yeah," Stella echoed, "plus, I can prove that I was here and only here. It's not my fault you're still hung up on such a vastly successful and impressive program made by House Dur—"

"Enough, Ellastaria." Lorencio looked at his daughter carefully, a hard edge in his eyes that wasn't normally there when he spoke to her. Then turning to Ric, he said, "I will temporarily lift the contract to relieve you of all duties to my daughter. In the meantime, Stella will have to be appointed a different guard."

"Council appointed this time," Nonso stressed, "and we will review that contract you wrote for Wolfswift... Just to be sure he found no loopholes."

"Of course," Lorencio agreed to both conditions, nodding his head and conjuring the leather book that had bound the Dreg to his daughter. Sliding it across the table towards Nonso, he watched as one of the Nigerian guards caught it and tucked it away in a bag.

"You do... you do understand why we're doing all of this, don't you?" Benedict asked the Dreg sitting in the back of the room. "It's unfortunate, and we truly apologize, but it has to be done." And though he said the words, it was clear that neither he or the other Councilors present in the room were remorseful about sending Ricendithas Wolfswift to prison once more.

His words weren't helping. Not one bit.

The outrage became increasingly evident in the warlock's glare, his ears catching the whispers and his eye seeing the contempt and fear that these snobs had for him. It was clear to him, despite Benedict and Lorencio's honeyed promises of ambiguity, that he was already marked guilty. It was the perfect thing to frame him for, something that he had no hope of overturning. The King was someone akin to a god in this Society, and anyone who they found evidenced of killing him didn't have a chance at anything resembling an impartial trial.

"Liars..." he finally grumbled, the talk ceasing after Benedict had addressed him directly; some of them wondered why he said that, others knew right away. "Mr. Wolfswift, we DO want to have you out of prison; trust me, Alexei would never let me hear the end of it." Ric snarled, "Bullshit."

Benedict's gaze narrowed, sensing the agitation the warlock was feeling, "Ricendithas, please understand that this is not something to be taken lightly. You WILL get your chance to say your piece." At this Ric shot up to his feet, rage dripping from every syllable "Just how like I got to say my piece when you decided that it was in everyone's interests to put me back in a cage?!"

The air around him began to shimmer, his temper making his flame-based magic start to boil within his soul. And within moments, Nonso's men cast their nets, the threads of energy laying like lead weights over the warlock and forcing him to his knees. The nets then began to glow, slowly draining him of his power; Nonso grimaced, "Don't worry, Ricendithas. This will not kill you, as much as you deserve to die for your atrocity. But my father would not let innocent blood be shed, not even those of Dregs as monstrous as yourself. Consider this a gesture of good will, be honored that I am allowing you to be tried by the Tribunal's sworn officers." Lorencio sighed, "Nonso, please, that is enough. No need to antagonize him any further."

Ric huffed, feeling his energy slowly be sapped from him as he sat on all fours, hunched over like he was about to be sick. But that was not the case, not even close. A darker surge was roiling inside, the hunger of the flame calling to consume everything around it. There was good reason fire-based magic was rare after all: Those who could wield and focus its power were formidable, and only those that sated the fire's hunger could truly use it to its potential.

"You don't know what monstrous is, you pampered little fuckstain." Ric growled, his voice dropping a few octaves before his body began to glow, the nets surrounding him starting to glow brighter in tandem as the surges of energy raced through their threads. Some of Nonso's men began to have difficulty, their constitutions faltering as the influx became too much to bear. There was simply too much to funnel into the Ether, and if someone didn't do something soon, one of them would likely keel over.

"Everyone, out!" Zeus called, seeing that this was about to get ugly really fast; before anyone could make a move, however, the first of the nets gave out, shredding into nothingness as the first caster fell to the ground, followed by the others as if they were a set of dominoes. And then the black fire that Stella witnessed at the boutique roared to life, cracking and snapping with a ferocity that made the last release seem like a harmless spark. It surrounding him in his entirety, intense heat warping the air and threatening to set everything ablaze.

Ric then shot to his feet and threw a hand out, the pitch-dark inferno rocketing to block the only exit. And dear Nonso soon found his throat clutched in a deathgrip, his back shoved against the wall. His visible eye gleamed, the iris nearly gone as black heat poured from the orb and obscured it from sight. It was clear by this point that something awoke within him, something probably that should never be seen by anyone else. "You want monstrous, I'll fucking show you monstrous. I'll turn this damned House and everyone in it into the world's largest funeral pyre!" he shouted angrily, Nonso beginnig to choke as he felt his trachea start to give from the immense pressure of the mage's grip.

Lorencio shouted as he put himself in front of his daughter, "Wolfswift, stop! Tranquillitas ignis! Placare iram aquam hominem!" Why wasn't the spell triggering? Why wasn't Ric's magic being drained more? At this rate, there would be no other way for him to save Stella than void the contract right now. With how intense the flames were, no one could even approach him.

At this, water seemed to flood from nowhere; it was a spell that none other than his wife had taught him in case there was ever a fire; though the last bit was to try and get the warlock to settle. However, once the water hit the flames, it just vaporized into steam and did next to nothing to quench the dark fires that encased him like armor.

"You want your daddy back so damn bad, I'll make you see him! I only wish I really did kill him now, because then at least you would have the grounds to accuse me, worthless worm!" Ric shouted, his anger starting to rage even more out of control as he raised a fire-covered hand to strike Nonso down.

"Everyone see now? This IS HOW YOU MURDER SOMEONE! THIS IS A KILL WORTH GETTING EXECUTED FOR!" And as he began the descent, it seemed Nonso would indeed see his father once more. And if left unchecked, Ric's rampage could literally bring the house down.

Half Moon Bay, CA
Thanksgiving (November)

"Stella, Stella get out!" Lorencio shouted frantically at his daughter, trying to shield her by putting himself between her and Ric, as if he would somehow be able to block the scorching heat that filled the room. He, along with a few others, had begun to toss a barrage of magic at the wall of ebony fire that blocked the exit, but nothing seemed to break it; Lorencio's white light was swallowed up by the raging inferno, the counter-magic being done by both of the Ellison men seemed to have no effect, and even the magic wielded by the single water user of the group evaporated as it hit the fire, hissing and popping to no avail. Would nothing put this fire out? Having realized that it was near impossible to stop Ric, three of the Councilors teleported away out of fear, and a string of curses were heard from the Italain as he watched them disappear.

"What are you doing?" Raveena screamed at Lorencio, her eyes fearful when she saw that the princess was still in the room with them. Even with her dislike of House Durante, the very thought of Stella dying terrified her to no end. "Get her out of here!"

"Lorencio..." Benedict nervously warned in a grave voice, wiping sweat off his forehead before joining his son once more in attempt to break Ric's magic. The Councilors that were left also shared the same nervous glances with each other, seemingly more concerned with Stella's life than that of the Nigerian man who was so very close to dying.

Stella herself was pressed with her back against the wall, her small frame shadowed by her father's, though she could still feel the blazing heat emanating from across the room. This was something that was familiar to her, the rage that consumed him and fueled the dark flames that covered his body. But... it had never been this strong in Japan. If she thought he had been angry then, that was child's play in comparison to his fury now. And though she had been able to touch him then and remain unharmed from his fire, she wasn't as sure that she could escape injury this time around. The girl opened her eyes in time to see her father summon the contract from within the bag of one of the fallen Nigerian men.

"Zeus, be ready," Lorencio told Benedict's oldest son, his hand glowing with white light as he held it over the thick leather book that held Ric's contract. Zeus only nodded to acknowledge the man, already making a move to stand within range of grabbing the princess.

Was no one concerned for Nonso? Was she supposed to stand and watch him die as not one, but two prominent members of House Chidume fell that night? "No..." Stella murmured softly, realizing her father was going to break the contract and have Zeus take her to safety. And after Nonso was dead, who was Ric going to turn his wrath against next? Benedict, for offering to throw him in prison? Or maybe her father, for agreeing to have him jailed? "No!" she repeated more loudly this time, her eyes widening in horror as Ric brought a fiery hand up to strike the Nigerian prince. And then twisting out from behind Lorencio, she stepped closer to her bodyguard and tossed a barrier out. "Protegat nos!" she shouted, magical slightly amplifying her voice as a sheen of her signature champagne-tinted light left her body to guard both the Councilors on one side and Nonso on the other. Half a second later, Ric's hand hit the barrier with such force that it made her stumble where she stood.

"Aaah," she groaned weakly, not having anticipated the stength of Ric's magic. None of her lessons growing up had prepared her for this, and she could feel she was quickly losing energy even in the few seconds of trying to block the Dreg's fire. There wasn't much she could do except wait for the intensity to subside, but when would that be? She doubted she could hold out for even a couple minutes of the extreme strain on her magical abilities. Dark spots began to dance in her eyes, the jingle of the charms on her bracelet sounding strangely distant as her arms reached out to catch herself on the edge of the table. Weak, she felt too weak, about to collapse, and yet...

"Oh, dear." Stella heard a melodic voice reverberate seemingly from nowhere, and in her mind, she saw Aneira's glowing, youthful face. The familiar scent of bermagot and tea tree filled her senses as a gentle warmth brushed past her face, almost as if the healer had caressed her cheek, and she saw the same sad smile on the woman's face. "Hello again, Princess," Aneira greeted her, "Would you mind if said a few words...? But I'm afraid I'll need a little bit of your help for that."

Too tired and too desperate for relief, Stella said nothing but invited Aneira with open arms, feeling a foreign presence enter body. After a few short moments, she opened her eyes to see the same raging inferno in the room, but something wasn't entirely right. She saw with her own eyes, thought with her own mind, yet she could sense that her body, for the time being, was not hers. The sensation was odd, like she was watching a memory that wasn't hers.

Thank you, she heard the healer from within her mind and felt herself smile, beginning to walk toward Ric. Somewhere in the back, Stella could hear her father calling to her, his voice drowned out by the the crackle and hum of burning flame.

"Ricendithas," Aneira approached the man she considered her son, her very own, whom she raised so long ago. With her knowledge of lumomancy, she was able to use the princess's magical capability to its full potential, strengthening the shield around Nonso while simultaneously creating one around herself so as to leave Stella's body unharmed. And while she knew she looked like Princess Durante to the others, Ric would be able to see her for who she truly was.

"Ricendithas, look at me," she called out to him again, her voice firm but still full of warmth, this time clasping his free hand in both her own, golden light filtering through the flickering dark flames. "Release him... what have you done to yourself? My sweet boy..." Aneira reached a hand to cup his cheek, searching him with her clear blue eyes, sadness in her gaze but still so much happiness at being able to see him, to connect with him once more.

Try and try as they might, nothing could soothe the fit of spontaneous rage that Ric had been thrown into. No, this was him giving Society the middle finger; he didn't care how many died. He'd come out unscathed, and the rest of these pathetic fuckers would be lying in ash, scattered across the scorched ruins of their excessive lifestyle.

To live is to die, after all, and he was all too eager to send them to that final fate.

However, his thoughts were momentarily broken when his fiery blow was deflected; he couldn't see Stella pouring radiant energy out of her body, shielding anyone and everyone from the wrathful flames. Instead, he was winding up for another strike. "Wolfswift, no!" he heard Zeus cry out, but he didn't listen. First it would be him, then Benedict, and lastly, Lorencio. And then Stella herself so he could be free of the contract, even if it meant giving his life to never be shackled again.

He paused halfway through, Nonso cringing in fear, upon hearing a familiar voice. It couldn't be...But then he heard it again, and felt someone's hand gently grip his wrist.

"Ricendithas, look at me"

Rarely did anyone refer to him by his full first name anymore; and those last three words were from whenever he was scolded for being too rambunctious. And only one person ever did that to him. But it couldn't be...

When his gaze turned, he saw someone he had thought long gone from his life. From this world, even. And for a few seconds after his gaze locked with the silver-haired maiden, he was completely speechless, a look of genuine shock on his face. His one eye was wide with surprise, his mouth agape as he floundered for words.

"No...What trickery...."

Just then, Aneira laid a gentle finger to his lips, stopping him mid-sentence "This is no trick, Ricendithas. Now...Release the man. Surely you must sympathize with him, mustn't you?" Ric could only falter, his grip loosening from Nonso's throat and allowing the Prince to fall to the ground, his breathing hoarse and ragged as he tried to recover from how close he was to joining his ancestors.

Aneira's gaze was tinged heavily with sadness, "Ricendithas...What happened to you? You never used to be this angry...Not before I...." Ric just interjected, "Don't you dare; I do what I do because of that. My business is my own, and no one else's." The healer's eyes began to tear up, her heart breaking at her own child's soul so twisted by hate, "Oh, Ricendithas." Her free hand slipped from his cheek to clutch over her chest, small sobs shaking her slender body as her light grip tightened just a bit, "You have no idea how much it hurts to see you this way. You've fought against the dark for so long it's marked you. This isn't you, Ricendithas."

At this, something unexpected happened: Ric turned to face Stella, though only able to see his mother standing before him, the Nigerian prince falling to the ground and coughing harshly, gasping as air was allowed to flow through his lungs once more. "Unfortunately, it is now. This is the life I've made for myself. When you were taken from me, I had nothing else. No one else. There were others that I liked, sure, but you were the only one I really cared about."

Letting out an exasperated sigh, he then added, "But I suppose you've come back for a reason. To tell me to stop, no doubt." Aneira's gaze narrowed, "Ricendithas, you were raised better than that. You ARE better than this; wasn't the death of my captor enough for you? These people don't deserve what you're doing to them and you know it!" Ric could only snort, "So, you'd let them lock me up for a crime I didn't commit." Aneira teared up once more, "You've already gone through so much. Have faith in others, my sweet boy, like you used to. They will clear your name, but you must give them a chance. Don't you see by acting this way, you're cementing that you really did this!? I know you've changed, but you didn't kill the King. I know the real you wouldn't think of such a monstrous thing to do...And poor Nonso, can't you see he's going through your exact same situation?"

Ric's fists clenched a little, his mouth forming into a tight grimace as he considered her words; damn it all, she was right. To Nonso, Ric was the monster that had taken the man he'd looked up and loved the most away from him. Still, he didn't want to let any of them think that he was some soft Dreg that would just roll over like some obedient dog.

"Then he knows that he should only have come after me if he knew he was going to win!" he half-shouted, feeling a little more agitated but slowly getting calmer at the same time. It was a sign that Aneira's words were starting to have an effect on him, that he was beginning to see where he was wrong in all this. But he was as stubborn as a mule, even she knew that. "Ricendithas...Please, let them find the proof to exonerate you. Believe it or not, Stella believes you didn't do it. Lorencio and Benedict also believe you didn't. And before you say anything, I would do anything to keep you out of prison. You know that."

Caressing his cheek again, she smiled lovingly at him and added, "Please, my sweet Ricendithas. Let them help you, let them in."

Back
Top Bottom