Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SAMOK (EveningSky & G23)

The Willowfoots, as Ezra had told Samantha, had seen it all coming, and had worked carefully to negate all plots.

They filtered the water, and dammed up the river, flooding the plains that served the Beckett lands, and their quarries and forests, cutting the Beckett resources by half.

They also informed the health department as well as the Fish and Wildlife and Service and the Department of the Interior, all of whom investigated and agreed that the Willowfoots had acted with speed and wisdom in protecting the community from the tainted waters, and they quickly found the source of the contamination and filed massive fines and levies against the Beckett's and their companies. With this and the loss of business, Henry's private war was costing the family millions.

Ezra stayed and was entirely kept out of this part of the family feud as this truly had nothing to do with the club, and he was being kept separate to prevent him from being arrested or drawn into violence.

He was still fighting however, and bringing both the Willowfoots, and Wilimington great honor and prestige. Games were being won by record amounts, more and more stars were appearing as the seasons went on, and schools from all over were scouting heavily. Already sign, Ezra was left alone, though his grades were expected to remain high, though that was nothing as he already had a perfect GPA.

This left him time to fight, and through that bring down every major Beckett supporter, and even some Beckett men and even some of Samantha's own cousins. He was already being touted as the next state champion to be sent to Vegas for the unofficial but very valuable national championships.

But for all that his real concern was Samantha. Her daily calls made him happier and more relaxed than anything else possibly could, and to protect them both he eventually bought a cellphone, and had a phone attached to his bike, even getting a headset in his helmet so they could talk when he rode.

It was some time after the first visit before he could return, a whole five weeks in fact, but when he was free, and certain that the visit could not be traced as he went West first, then cut north into Kansas and rode east into Kansas City, through Missouri, then down into Arkansas. It took forever but it was a great ride, and he made note of a number of options for future business opportunities. It was something he had learned actually from the Becketts.

He had already invested in more than two dozen small businesses at home, and now he found another dozen on his trip. It was small, but each one brought him a portion of the profits, all deposited directly into a private bank account held in New York. The young man was proving an adapt businessman, and was always careful to give the club their percentage as well as pay his dues, while the rest went o his visits to Samantha, and usually to gifts for her.

Now five weeks after their birthday he was back in Arkansas, sitting in his friend's shop trying to help him find the leak in a fuel line while he waited for the Samantha to get out of school so he could go see her.

Samantha arrived to her uncle's apartment after school. Returning to an empty place, Samantha had been looking forward to her uncle's trip to L.A. Having the entire apartment to herself, secretly hoping EZra would visit sometime before Jason returned.

She grabbed the house phone, dialing Ezra's cellphone. Dropping onto her stomach on the couch, waiting on him to pick up.

Ezra answered smiling. "Well hello." He stood off the bike and went outside.

"I was hoping you would call soon. I'm in town at the moment...."

Samantha's eyes widen a bit "You are?" The surprise but relief evident in her voice. "I didn't think you'd come, I was hoping but I thought you'd be busy with family and club business." Samantha knew what turning eighteen meant for Ezra. It was his entrance into fully immersing himself into the Sons, something she wished that he left behind. Her feelings for the boy evolved over the duration of the year, a year ago Samantha did not care what Ezra Did. His decisions were all his, it concerned her not. Now Samantha wanted Ezra to pull away from the path of his grandfather and father.

"I'm home, you can come over." She whispered

He smiled. "be over in a bit."

He was knocking on her door ten minutes later. "I grabbed pizza on the way. lemme in."

He was in jeans and a tshirt, his cut hidden in his hoody. He had realized that the club and his presence within it bothered Samantha, so he did what he could to keep it's presence out of her face. He had to remember not to remove his shirt after he got the full reaper on his back.

"Hold on.." Samantha replied, wiping his hands in a clean kitchen towel. Twenty seconds later she opened the door, wearing nothing but a large grey t shirt and her hair in a messy bun. She rolled her eyes at the pizza "You could've said something" Samantha Beckett left the front door, making her way back into the kitchen where she had been busy starting preparations for pasta puttanesca.

"So are you staying the night?" She asked, grabbing Ezra a water.

"if you don't mind sharing the house with a big ugly guy. And I didn't want to eat up all your food. I've been eating a lot more lately. I enjoy cold pizza if you want to fridge it."

He followed her inside and kicked the door shut, laying the pizza on the counter, taking the water. "thank you." And sitting out of her way sipping his water.

"You doing alright?"

A grin formed on Samantha's face, finding it amusing that Ezra called himself ugly. His words were only nothing but false modesty. They both knew the type of attention he garnered from the opposite sex. Ezra Willowfoot was by far the most attractive Indian in Wilmington. Samantha glanced at the boy briefly, wondering if he simply played dumb to the fact that he could have any girl he wanted.

She moved from the fridge, over to the box of pizza. Taking a huge bite from a slice, some of the cheesy goodness falling onto her t shirt. Without a second thought she used her index finger, scooping up the remnance, devouring it.

"I don't like cold pizza" She grinned, taking another bite. When Ezra asked how Samantha had been doing the young girl answered with a shrug of her shoulder. Nothing new or exciting had been occurring in Samantha's life.

"I'm fine...as usual" Samantha eyed Ezra, spying the cut underneath his jacket. Not knowing a lot about the club she assumed a year had been enough time for Ezra to be at the rank of prospect. It made Samantha sad knowing that soon he would be wearing the official patch now that he was eighteen.

"Are you re ally going to college?" She whispered, hopping onto the marble kitchen top. "Will you....leave the club for awhile...?" She bit her lip. "It's not that I'm trying to make you feel bad about it. Don't get me wrong Ezra..."Samantha swallowed nervously "It's just that....I sometimes wonder if you want more.." Her eyes met his cautiously "To go to college, do something different with your life after."

He watched her as he stood and got his own pizza, taking a whole box for himself. He sat down again studying her.

"Glad to hear it."

"Yeah when I'm 18. But 18 is a way off still though. ten months and some change now. And no. the club is for life. These are my uncles, cousins, father, grandfather....my family Samantha. It's like being a Beckett for you. Just part of who I am. But who says i can't do something more? I already own a piece of a successful business. I have a full scholarship. Play ball for four years, get my degree, then who knows."

He studied her face carefully. "What makes you think I won't do anything more with my life?"

Samantha chuckled uncomfortably "I..." Ezra's rather abrupt comment causing the blonde to shift in her space on the counter "I didn't mean it like that..." Her lips twisted, toes curling. "It's just that I see what your grandfather does" Samantha shrugged slightly "Its not like being Beckett, we are a family business. Your grandad, the club, the reaper...it doesn't have to be you Ezra. Didn't you ever want to move away from Wilmington....start life somewhere else?"

Ezra leaned back studying her. "how is not like your family business? We have farmed and lumbered our land just as long as your people. The club is just our public face of that. Just what is your problem with the SOA? Have we ever done anything to you? And for the record has the club itself ever done anything to you, your family, or anyone else you know of?"

He knew for a fact that the club itself had never been involved in the old feud. it may have come close, but the club had never been dragged in. He also knew it was the club that had saved her life the night she was OD'd.

"Who says I am staying in Wimington? But if I did what's wrong with that? your parents did it. Good people. So did mine."

He cocked his head eating more of his pizza. "I don't judge you for things i don't understand. Like your dancing or your obsession with horses." He let that hang out there, not pleased that she had decided to turn this visit into this awkward debate she had no chance of winning as he would never leave the club. He had been born to it. Raised in and around it. Now it was nearly his.

"Thats not fair Ezra..." Samantha glared at him "The fact that I like to dance and love horses is not the same as you wanting to be a part of Sons...You know what" Samantha jumped off the counter "Forget I said anything" She grabbed the pizza box, making her way into the living room. Plopping herself on the couch in front the television.

Samantha Beckett made a mental note to never ask Ezra Willowfoot of anything concerning his affairs. "I'm sorry" She said "I had no right...it's your life" Samantha felt extremely bothered by the fact that she cared so much

He followed her to the living room. "I'm sorry. i just don't get why everyone is so convinced we are so evil."

He sat across from her, letting his eyes go to the television. Once again he had upset her and she had shut down just when the discussion might have lead somewhere important. he wondered if she would ever stop that. Ever trust him enough to let him have his own opinions without taking offense at them.

Samantha rolled her eyes "We think you're evil....you think we're evil" Eyes met his, a hint of sadness hidden beneath "Thats why this..." Her hand waved, back and forth between them "...Is so dangerous" Samantha took another mouthful of pizza, chewing with much more force than needed.

The young felt conflicted within. Wanting desperately to hold onto the friendship she built with Ezra. Yet knowing it was too good to be true. Samantha sometimes thought Ezra's interest in being her friend held ulterior motives. Such haunting thoughts encouraged Samantha to hold back from fully expressing herself to him. Despite the fact that Ezra Willowfoot knew many of her insecurities and fears. There were still parts of the scared and confused blonde that he had yet to uncover. Samantha herself wanted to uncover Ezra's mysteries.

"Not everyone thinks Willowfoots are evil though" She sighed "Beckett's don't seem to have that courtesy though" Samantha had been quite aware of her uncle Henry's past with the Indians. They hate Beckett's received has been warranted.

"And I gave them reason to add druggie to the list"

He arched an eyebrow. "So when our water is poisoned? Our traditionally free market is suddenly fined for back pay and forced to pay huge fees to exist? That's our fault for not trusting your family? When Henry has been caught numerous times bragging how he will handle all the Indians, especially the Willowfoots?"

He studied her closely. "That your father has forbidden our mothers from meeting? That's all our fault? Should i mention that I know for a fact that neither the Willowfoot family nor SAMOK has reacted or retaliated against the Becketts or Henry?"

He gestured between them. "This is the one truly good relationship between our families that still exists. Why are you so mad? And Samantha if I thought you or your family was evil I wouldn't be here. I'm crazy but i'm not stupid. What is the problem?"

Samantha shook her head "I never said anything was your families fault" everything Ezra had been spewing shocked her. Unaware of how bad the situation was back in Wilmington. "Poisoned water...." Samantha said in disbelief. The Willowfoots were always known for their self sufficient ways. Farming, running water from the rivers and trade. Now they were being backed against a wall by the greedy Henry Beckett.

"I'm sorry, about my uncle" Samantha pursed her lips "it's all our fault...everyone knows that"

" Theres no problem really,.." She whispered. Samantha knew how her father could change. Especially with her uncle around. "I'll talk to my uncle Jason, see if he can speak some sense into my dad..."

"I don't you or your parents. I blame Henry. That does not come to your door. But just like you aren't responsible for him, You can't hold me responsible for what happened between our families before either of us were ever born."

He studied her cautiously. "I would advise against it. let Henry's insanity cost your family enough and Sean will back down. he'll have no choice. Henry has shamed the whole family. The city, the state, and the feds all know he's responsible too."

"Mmm" was Samantha's response to everything Ezra had to say pertaining to the Beckett household. She knew the Indians had a sour taste in their mouth for her family. The way Ezra spoke of letting Henry Beckett's actions cost his entire family had been harsh and insensitive. Not only would it affect Sean Beckett, but his wife and children. In the long run the Beckett children could risk losing everything they ever knew.

Samantha remained silent for the duration of the night as they both watched television and ate pizza. The silence led to her falling asleep, arms and head perched on the side of the couch, resting peacefully. Vegetables and seasonings she had been preparing for the puttanesca sitting out on the counter. The noise of the television filling the living room, the air conditioning unit whirring softly in the background, mixed with muffled sounds of the city beneath. It all added to the peaceful slumber of Samantha. Her body shifted itself, head resting on Ezra's lap, the rest of her curled into the fetal position. A sign scientists who were versed in the subject of sleep reffered to as shy, emotional and scared.

Ezra knew she wouldn't like what he had said. But he also knew that Sean wouldn't allow Henry's stupidity to threaten his family. He also knew that Sean was already bending as what Henry and his boys had been caught doing was so illegal it was threatening his career. And he knew that his father and grandfather had reached out to Sean to make peace, to apologize, and to inform him that they would not press charges against Sean and his family at all. The Willowfoots were carefully letting Henry dig his own grave.

When Samantha fell asleep Ezra began stroking her hair softly, smiling.

After a long while he turned off the tv, carried her to her room and tucked her in, then returned to the couch after checking the door and window locks. He then lay down, covered up and went to sleep in moments.

While two friends from opposing families slept peacefully under one roof in Arkansas. Something unexpected brewed in the town of Wilmington. During the dark windy night, when the owls hooted and unknown critters slithered through the grass. A mysterious figured walked onto the Beckett estate. Slipping past the two night guards that sat in the front. A precaution Sean Beckett took since the Willowfoot's had their water contaminated. The man in the dark jeans, work boots and black hoodie, moved undetected through the estate. Scoping out and observing everything that could be observed during the dead of night. Soon he came upon the garage, his main target a specific car belonging to one of the Beckett's

A smile appeared on the man's face "Gotcha..."

Samantha woke, sun shining brother than ever. Light pouring in from the glass windows, filling the room. The tired girl rolled out of bed, rubbing her eyes and yawning unapologetically. She tip toed into the hallway, peeking around the corner to see if Ezra stayed as promised. After their small squabble Samantha was not sure how her new best friend felt.

The things he said about her family offended her greatly, but she understood Ezra like no other. They too saw the Willowfoot's as danger, or at least her father did. Neither herself nor Ezra could erase generations of hatred, not anytime soon.

A smile played at the edges of Samantha's lips when she saw Ezra sleeping on her uncle's large brown couch. Carefully, she stepped closer. Getting a better look. How peaceful, she thought. For the first time ever seeing him so vulnerable. In that moment Samantha made a decision, she was going to make Ezra Willowfoot a big breakfast. The kind that champions and kings ate, and so she began. Doning an apron, Samantha got to work with the intention of baking muffins, doing eggs, pancakes, and homemade bread. Making both coffee tea and filling a pitcher with store bought Orange juice. She gathered what little fruits that had been available, strawberries, bananas and grapes.

"I'm not dumb blonde who dances all day does drugs and is obsessed with horses" she muttered flipping pancakes. Anxiously awaiting to show Ezra just how great she was.

Ezra woke when she had just about finished. he poked himself up to peek at her around the back of the couch.

He knew how great she was. he felt bad for upsetting her, but he wouldn't lie to her. Ever. He had promised himself that when they had first become friends.

Now he watched her and smiled. She was a good cook, he could smell and see that much. But she looked even better. He treasured their friendship but Samantha Beckett had full grown into her beauty, and in his opinion far outshone her beautiful mother. he could not help licking his lips as his throat and mouth had suddenly gone dry watching the angel cook just for him.

He shook his head, trying to banish fantasies of driving off into the sunset with her, her fingers on his face, her lips on his... he shook himself again and sat up growling. "Well this is a treat. a pretty girl and a feast just for me. Sure you can trust me with either?"

Samantha glanced behind, wearing the cutest smile that she could muster. "You can be trusted with the girl...I'm not sure about the feast" Her head rolled back, hearty laughter escaping her throat.

"I wasn't sure.." She placed the eggs and sausages on the table "What you liked...so I made a few things" The pancakes, muffins and bread came next. Samantha filled a tea cup for herself, sipping slowly as she sat down opposite Ezra's seat. "It may not rival your mother's cooking, but it's not bad either" she smiled.

He stood and stretched, his back popping loudly, then took his seat smiling back. "looks great."

He folded his hands and said a quick prayer, then seat to his meal. He still ate silently and politely, but so rapidly it seems he had little time to chew. He was deep into his third full plate and his ninth glass of tea before he slowed enough to speak. "Not quite my mom's. or your's. But just as good or better on it's own. Thank you. Simply delicious. i didn't expect to be spoiled with breakfast."

he smiled warmly. Cooking was love. And he was touched she would make him breakfast.

"So what's the plan for today?"

Samantha had barely finished her second plate when Ezra began speaking, well into the third helping. "Well I'm not your mom, so it would be weird if it tasted exactly like it" She poured herself a glass of Orange juice as she thought about Ezra's question "I'm not sure...I don't feel like doing anything" Samantha shrugged "Do you want to do anything special?"

Back
Top Bottom