Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SAMOK (EveningSky & G23)

"Yeah. Good thing I never told any of the others about when we were kids. They would be trying to plan our wedding."

He grunted at the thought as he gently pushed her to her left as a car passed and splashed the sidewalk. He was between her and the road as they went through town first, the other routes closed even to foot traffic due to downed power lines.

He sighed. "I always wondered. Why were so bossy when we were little? My cousins still hate you because of that. And they still get made because i said yes to that wedding promise. As if there was a chance. Your dad would have shot me if I ever even seemed to be interested in you."

He brooded over the thought. Her father actually had shot at his when they were young. It was after Thomas and Marcia broke up and Thomas had started dating Fauna, but it had still happened. The men had their own tales, with Thomas convinced that Sean had tried to kill him.

Fauna was certain that it was a horrible accident when the boys had been showing off by racing and one of the guns in Sean's gun rack had gone off. The truth was mystery to all but Sean, and perhaps Thomas. Either way it had only made the bad blood between the families even more toxic.

Ezra shook himself and nudged her aside again as a cruiser rolled onto the sidewalk to bypass a large wreck they were having to cut and slowly pry out of the side of a building. He glared back at the officer but said nothing.

Once past he removed his hand from her right arm and spoke. "I've also always wondered something. Why did you want to play with us?" The unspoken harshly toned 'Indians' hung in the air, reminding her clearly of her own careful absence of the word.

Samantha Beckett highly doubted anyone would plan their wedding. Now that she was older the idea seemed absurd "We're only going to marry each other if we were like the last, and I mean last....people on earth" A car going fairly fast approached them, Samantha saw the puddle and shut her brown eyes tightly. Waiting to be splashed, only to feel Ezra's hand, moving her to his left. Samantha brows creased, glancing at Ezra skeptically. Not accustomed to having someone protect like that, someone that was not a Beckett. Although if the blonde had been paying attention as a child, Ezra Willowfoot protected her even then.

Samantha cleared her throat, a small blush appearing on her face, peeking through the make up. "I wasn't bossy.." Samantha pursed her lips, lying to the very person who witnessed his bossy nature first hand as a children. "Honestly..." She shrugged "A little white girl with blonde hair, who comes from a wealthy family" It had been simple math " I was raised as a princess of the Beckett estate. Princesses were bosses..." She grinned.

The entire notion silly now, but back then she was the it girl. Then her training began, Marcia Beckett instilling the qualities of a woman in her daughter. Helping Samantha into everything she could ever hope to be. As a mother should. Yet still that bossy little girl was in her somewhere.

"You don't look like the type to be interested in a bitch though..." She dodged a piece of metal laying on the sidewalk "So your cousins need to get a life....As for my dad...." She bit her lip gently " As I said, we'll never happen. So nobody is going to get shot"

A police cruiser almost passed, almost knocking them both off the sidewalk. Ezra's quick reflex, basically saved both their lives, but yet again he went on like nothing had been wrong. Proceeding to ask Samantha another childhood question. A question she had no answer for. "Thanks..." She whispered, appreciating the fact that he saved her life for the second time. Samantha pursed her lips, trying to take her mind back to when she was a child. "I don't know...that's the truth" Her feet moved faster, feeling rather uncomfortable with the situation. Why is he being so darn nice?
she wodnered

The answer would likely have not truly surprised her. Despite his male family's rather bloodthirsty and wild endeavors, they always strove to be absolutely polite, and his mother had instilled a deep respect for people, especially women, in him. She had also taught him to always speak politely, especially when you were angry or frustrated, to give yourself to consider your words.

He grunted. "Hey I'm not asking. The last thing I need is your dad trying to shoot me. Coach is pissed about all this mess. We're guna still do two a day practices starting in three days. Likely more if the others slack off as usual. And the bastard you date has to be replaced for the next two games."

He smirked at that. He despised Colin and would be thrilled to see him and his arrogance gone for good, especially from the team. He was a cocky showboat and had cost them leads, and even a few games with his foolishness.

He realized something. "But...you aren't a bitch. You shouldn't call yourself stuff like that. It's disrespectful to yourself and your mom. And Marcia is a wonderful lady. And I think you can be too. When you aren't scared."

Samantha listened quietly as Ezra went on about getting shot by her father. The girl wondered if he somehow secretly wanted to get shot. When he mentioned Colin her lips pursed. If you didn't beat him to a pulp you wouldn't need a replacement, she thought.

Samantha ignored Ezra's comment, he had never seen that side of Samantha, she hoped he never had too.

It took them an hour and a half to reach the Beckett estate. A smile broke onto Samantha's face. "Wait!" Samantha spun around, palms up facing Ezra. Before he took another step, she needed to know. " About yesterday..." Samantha stared at him nervously "What I said....I'm sorry. I didn't want you to tell anyone" She glanced back at the long driveway, the house in the distance. "Do you forgive me?" Samantha whispered[/size]

His eyes followed her gaze then he smiled and nodded. "Sure. But if he continues to beat you don't expect me to protect you. And I'll tell you this right now. if you ever let him really hurt you I WILL tell your parents who did it."

He held up a hand before she could argue. "I am not the only one who has seen him attack you. After he got hurt a number of others were heard talking about how he treats you. They were convinced that your dad, one of his cops, or one of your cousins handled the fool."

He studied her closely. "The team, the school, and you would all be better off without him. Why do you stay with him Samantha?" He didn't dare head toward her house without her, and he was carefully staying out of her personal space with his hands visible.

Samantha Beckett took a deep breath, her chest rising as the oxygen filled her lungs, falling when she exhaled. The action hidden underneath the oversize sized grey hoodie and leather jacket she wore. Her brown eyes studied Ezra, confused at his strong hatred for her boyfriend, Colin. Why did he of all people have to see... She thought.

"I've been dealing with this for the past year" Her eyes diverted themselves "I am alive still" She met his gaze "I can take care of myself Ezra, you don't need to act like my big brother." Samantha took a few cautious steps up the driveway , turning back to look at him "I'm not some Indian girl you're responsible for." Samantha smiled sadly "Don't get yourself in trouble because of me" Her brown eyes met his deep blue ones "I'm not your burden" She looked towards the house, seeing her two little brothers standing outside on the landing, under the balcony That was held up by two large pillars at the entrance of the house.

The white three story Beckett mansion stood tall and regal. A
long winding dirt driveway, an invitation to the warmth that laid ahead.
Lush, green and wet grass in abundance. Tall and large trees scattered through the property. American plane trees decorated the plain grass along the drive, still going strong since David Beckett Planted them all those years ago.

"Let's go before we freeze" She all but ran up the driveway, avoiding Ezra's last question. Not ready to lie about it again.

"Sammy!" Chase smiled hugging his sister's leg tightly

"Ezra..." Brandon's eyes lit up, he ran down the driveway to meet their guest. "Did you come to teach me?"

Samantha glanced at her youngest brother, who seemed eager on learning the language of the Sioux tribe. If only he knew their history.

"Mom!" Samantha Entered the house, leaving Chase to meet Ezra at the door.

"In the kitchen..."

"As usual" Samantha chuckled, only to be engulfed in a hug upon entering.

"Are you okay?" Marcia held her daughter's face between her hands, eyes scanning over every inch. Samantha thanking herself for learning how to cover her bruises like an expert. Marcia reached for the leather jacket, fingers gripping the edge of daughter's hoodie to check every part. Samantha breathed a huge sigh of relief when she stopped due to the approaching footsteps of three boys.

"I'm going to freshen up"

"Wait Samantha, I prepared a change of clothing for Ezra in the guest room on these second floor."

Samantha groaned "Fine, I'll show him the room and teach him how to operate the shower and bathtub.

Marcia chuckled, not needing to spell it out. She found a shirt and khaki pants that she assumed would fit Ezra. Sean Beckett was at work, unaware of the Willow foot at his residence.

"Oh!" Marc is looked at Samantha "Your uncle Henry and his family flew in today. He booked the first flight home yesterday after hearing of the news."

Samantha had no.time to show his dislike for the news when Brandon ran in, smiling like a crazy boy."Mom the boy I told you about is here"

Marcia embraced Ezra upon seeing him "Thank you for bringing her home safely" She looked him up and down like a mother would. "You need to get out of those clothes, and then come have something to eat"

Samantha stepped out of the kitchen waving Ezra over "Come..." She took walked through the foyer and ascended the staircase. "My mom laid out something dry for you" While speaking Samantha got rid of the leather jacket throwing it on the ground in the hall. "Here's your room" She opened the door, walking into a large beige coloured room. The room was fitted with a King sized bed, a dressing table, walk in closet, couch. Television and bathroom.

Ezra did not answer her, following her toward her house. As he moved he got quieter, and quieter until she couldn't even hear his breathing, and at Brandon's question he nearly whispered. "That's up to your parents. Not me."

He followed Samantha inside, his footsteps silent as his eyes took in everything.

He did gently, and quickly, hug Marcia back. "My pleasure ma'am. Good to see you again. You look lovely as ever."

He followed Samantha up to the bedroom and nodded. "Thanks. I can operate a shower and bathtub on my own."

He waited for her to step out, then shut the door and stripped. The shirt he could wear, but the pants were too short, and wouldn't fit his waist anyway. He shrugged and went to the bathroom for a nice but quick hot shower, then changed into his basketball shorts and his extra pair of jeans and the shirt Marcia had picked out. He also pulled on a pair of deerskin moccasins as his own shoes were soaked, though he had them over the air vent.

He then went downstairs to the kitchen where he stood in the door waiting for orders, his back to the door jamb, his eyes on the doors and windows, his hands clasped and resting over his crotch, clearly nonthreatening.

He had also heard about Henry and was just waiting for him to show up. He didn't like Sean Beckett but at least he didn't break the law, and he wasn't stupid enough to attack Ezra. Henry on the other hand.,,, he shook himself. He had heard a lot of stories about Henry and none of them filled him with eagerness to meet the man.

Marcia noticed Ezra's uncomfortable behaviour. She smiled sympathetically, understanding him clearly. His first time in their home since he was a child, and here was all alone. "Come eat" Marcia called him into the large white kitchen with wooden floors that extended throughout all of the house. Marcia laid spaghetti, meatballs and garlic bread onto the smaller dining table that the family frequented often. "I wasn't sure what you liked so I prepared some fry chicken with mac'n cheese as well." She laid plates down, chuckling as she did so "Chase and Brandon love the chicken with Mac'n cheese, so I that's a treat for them on this awful day"

Samantha walked into the kitchen wearing nothing but a large black jersey that reached her knees. Her hair wrapped in a towel as it dried. Marcia's eyes widened at her daughter's appearance. She quickly glanced at Ezra, studying his reaction to her daughter. Marcia felt like laughing and crying all at the same time. They were not use to having teenage boys in the house, so Samantha did not know how to dress. Her mother hoped she had the common sense to know that due to Ezra's presence and her uncle arriving soon, that Samantha would have dressed accordingly.

"You'll, um, need to change when your uncle arrives" Marcia said calmly, despite her disappointment. However, it made the woman wonder about the relationship between the two teenagers. Why is she so comfortable like that in front of him? she thought.

"No one died, why couldn't he stay in England"

"Samantha..." Her mother's voice came stern, warning the young girl not to push it. Henry left a bad taste in Marcia's mouth since he made it his mission to smear her name around town when she began dating Thomas Willowfoot. His dislike for her grew when Sean showed interest after she and Thomas broke up. Making it known to her that she had been the sloppy seconds of a Willowfoot, that her actions would taint the Beckett blood. Henry had almost been successful in stopping the relationship between she and Sean. That was until Marcia discovered she was carrying Samantha in her womb. Henry viewed Samantha as the reason Sean married Marcia, disliking the girl even before birth.

Samantha sat at the table with a sigh. She immediately began helping herself to everything on the table, encouraging Ezra to do the same. Her mother serving Chase and Brandon their meal in the living room while they watched television.

Henry Beckett was the eldest son of David and Samantha Beckett. As a child he had been the serious type. Always thinking himself above everyone, even his two younger brothers, Sean and Jason. His behaviour gave him a reputation of being the most feared Beckett of all. As a teenager Henry bullied anyone he saw fit, his primary victims...Indians. Putting many of them in the hospital, vandalizing their property and even attempted rape of a high school girl. Due to Beckett influence and fear of Henry, the girl's parents refused to press charges. In the end making their daughter confess to coming on to the young Beckett in exchange for money. Two weeks later the young native girl, was found hanging from a tree, on Beckett property.

Henry considered himself of a superior race. When all the heat and tension of the at the age of sixteen he proudly and publicly showed his support for the confederacy. Sporting the flag on his car, shirts, bags, anywhere else he could think of. Henry's behaviour caused his father to favour Sean and Jason. When he refused to listen to his parents, immediate action had been taken. David Beckett gave his empire to Sean and Jason,leaving not a penny to his eldest. This enraged Henry to the bitter end. The power that he wanted would not be his, the power that he could use to control Wilmington. Henry would influence Sean and Jason into horrible things , trying undermine his father's perception of them. He gave up his confederate behaviour, wanting to regain his father's love and trust.

David Beckett refused to change anything in his will, even as he took his last breath. Being the filial brother that he was, Sean Beckett financed his eldest brother. Sean promised to give his brother's children percentages of the company when they were old enough. Henry began a branch of Beckett realty in England where he raised his three children. Giving them the best of the best, ensuring that one day they not only gained percentages of the business. He had been preparing them to take over. Henry considered it an insult to have Sean's children be the bosses of his.

Ezra started eating before Samantha came down, his need to be polite and respectful overridden by his hunger, especially by so much good home cooked food.

He ignored the mac'n cheese, but did take two slices of chicken breast, cover them with a layer of Parmesan cheese, then dump a mixture of spaghetti, sauce, and more Parmesan on top of them, while forking up meatballs, thus making his own impromptu chicken Parmesan. He immediately dug into it after a short prayer of thanks, eating very neatly and quietly, but simply devouring the food.

He didn't even look as Samantha entered the room, entirely unconcerned by her appearance, nor did he speak when she and her mother discussed Henry.

He did know one reason Henry hated Willowfoots was because they had succeeded. But he still marveled that the eldest Beckett had so much hate for them, considering that several Willowfoots and their relations had joined the Texas Calvary under General Hood, and in various places throughout the South, including Ezra's own many times great grandfather and great uncle serving together in the Army of Virginia under Robert E. Lee, and served under Jackson and Longstreet, even surviving the disastrous Pickett's Charge. They fought bravely and lived through the war under many titles, serving their second adopted nation just as proudly as they had and later again served the first.

Of course he also had relations that had fought on the other side, but that mattered little. The Willowfoots proudly took part in the march of the Blue and Grey, the Wilmington tribute to the Civil War, and flew both flags, the flag of the United States, and the Confederate battle flag, proudly to honor their fallen, of course with the former on top.

Ezra shook himself recalling the story about the little Indian girl. And his father's addition to that tale. Fauna had tried to prevent him hearing it, but Thomas had been adamant that his son know both the truth and what had needed to be done. The girl in question had been found hanged, and raped. Thomas could not prove it had been Henry, though it really didn't matter. Nor that her parents had turned up dead in a ditch some time later.

What mattered was that the same night the girl was found, five Beckett men were taken. They were taken to a small cave where warpainted men with no shirts had chopped up four of them, and had castrated the fifth, but left him alive. All five had a long list offenses against the Natives, and now was the time to send the message. They had then sent the heads to David Beckett, alerting him to what would happen if his son was not handled, while their male parts were sent to the Wilmington Police who had claimed they didn't have evidence to prove the raped. The fifth had shown up three days later, out of his mind with fear and infection, dying two days after he was found cursing Henry Beckett's name.

Thomas carefully made sure to tell his son that he was busy planting the entire week this went on, and was seen doing so by several dozen WHITE citizens of high standing at all times. He had had nothing to do with any of it, and the Becketts knew it. One citizen who was with David when he received the heads had two questions, both of which he asked repeatedly even to this day, though mostly to himself. "What would have happened if Red had been around?" & "When is Henry going to go too far?"

Many wondered just what the Indians would do if he ever pushed them to the point that war to the Becketts would be worth it. Now Henry was returning. And Red was here. As was SAMOK. And yes there was Willowfoot in his family's house, but even he would have to take care. Ezra was an invited guest, popular in the town, a sports hero, and far more importantly, he was Thomas' son and Red's grandson. The second Crown Prince.

Samantha and Ezra ate silence, the brown eyed girl glancing at him every now an again. Amazed at his ability to remain mannered while he literally devoured everything on his. Samantha rose from her chair, taking two cold cans of cherry coke from the the fridge. "So you don't choke..." She popped the metal ring on the can, placing it in front of him.

Two black cars pulled into the drive of the Beckett estate. Henry Beckett stepping out on the soil for the first time in many many many years. Marcia pulled the curtain from the foyer aside, peeking out at the man. Her heart clenched, mind racing. Henry simply a bad memory for Marcia, she could not let him affect her. Marcia willed herself to remain strong for her children, most of all Samantha. Till this very day Marcia never told Sean what she caught Henry doing. How she walked in on her husband's eldest brother, holding a pillow over their baby's face while she slept. Henry glancing at Marcia's distraught face, uttering the most vile of words.

"Samantha! Boys!" She shouted "Your uncle is here"

Samantha jumped from her seat, taking one last bite of pasta and a swig of coke before running upstairs. Chase and Brandon greeted Henry at the door with Marcia. The man smiling brightly and hugging everyone, as if somehow he was not the man Marcia once knew. His wife Amy and their three children were meeting Marcia for the first time. She invited them all in the house, Henry gesturing for the private taxi drivers to place their luggage in the foyer.

"Why don't you all sit in the living room and I'll go get some water" Marcia instructed.

"The house looks different Marsh..." Henry commented "I guess Sean upgraded to the finer things..." he whispered.

"Yes, Sean thought it needed a lift" Marcia laid out more food for Ezra and a bottle water with another can of cherry coke "Help yourself to anything you want here in the kitchen okay" she smiled placing five glasses of water on a tray.

Samantha stood at the top of the stairs, watching her uncle admire the new interior. "Uncle..." She said, with a small smile as she walked down the stairs. Henry's eyes went wide, stunned at how much his niece had grown.

Marcia stood in the doorway, watching nervously as Samantha approached her uncle. As a child she protected Samantha from Henry. Marcia was afraid of his return, afraid Samantha would hear all the hateful things Henry was capable of spewing.

Henry stepped closer, wrapping his arms around Samantha. Embracing her in a tight hug.

"I haven't seen you in ages"

"Yea..." Samantha mumbled. Her dislike of him due to the many arguments she witnessed her father having with him over the phone. Knowing her Uncle Henry had been the reason her father started smoking again.

Marcia sighed, relieved at his gesture. Maybe he'll be civil after all, she thought.

"Come meet your cousins" Henry smiled taking Samantha into the living room, Marcia following closely behind with the tray.

They all chatted and laughed, Marcia having hope that Henry's family changed the hateful ways in him. When they all moved into the kitchen everything changed. Henry's eyes immediately landing on Ezra, his mood shifting. Marcia the only one noticing the man's sudden glare. His expression darkening when Samantha took the seat near Ezra to finish what was left in her plate. Just like her whore mother, he thought.

"We're eating in the dining room" he demanded.

Marcia followed the orders. Preferring for her brother in law to sit as far away from Ezra as possible. Not wanting to make the young boy feel unwelcome and uncomfortable.

Ezra sipped his water, but smiled at the coke. "thanks."

The moment Samantha left the room Ezra rose, went to a specific drawer and removing three items, and took two others from the counter and went back to the table, sitting facing the door.

He had finished another whole plate, and the pitcher of water and was still sipping his soda while he worked on a smaller third plate when Henry came in.

he didn't bother saying anything, just watching the man with his cold blue eyes, while his left hand spun his fork, spooling up his spaghetti, his right hidden under the table.

When Henry made his little demand Ezra spoke very softly. "it's excellent food. Mrs. Beckett is a great cook. And HER lovely home is just wonderful for welcoming guests."

When Samantha joined him she could see an odd block shape under his shirt over his chest, and his right hand was still under the table. Ezra took a bite and as he chewed he gently scooted Samantha's chair away from him in case things got wild. He then resumed spooling up his food, but kept his eyes on Henry, waiting for him to move.

Samantha narrowed her eyes at Ezra "Did you just push my chair away..." defiantly she scooted herself back over. The odd shape protruding from his chest made Samantha curious. She noticed that one of his hands were hidden underneath the table, but said nothing. "When you're done bring your plate to sink" She rose, clearing the table and living room of the dishes. Organising to wash everything.

"That was great Marcia" Amy smiled

The children heaving into the living room to watch television. While the two older women cleared the table.

"Thank you, Sean's mother taught me the meatball and Mac'n cheese recipe"

When Henry heard Marcia mention his mother, it boiled his blood. He rose from the table, storming out into the front yard to catch his breath. Henry begged Sean not to name Samantha after their mother. The name Samantha Beckett belonged to one woman, a great woman. Seeing his niece sit next to the dog in their kitchen. With his darling mother's name, in his mother's house.

When Henry came back into the house, he braced Marcia in the laundry room. With his children watching television, wife resting upstairs, and Samantha washing dishes. Henry had Marcia all to himself, a smirk played on the edge of his lips.

"I see you proved me right"

Marcia frowned "What are you talking about?"

"Your daughter..." Henry spat "Or have you forgotten what I told you all those years ago"

Marcia froze, her hand tightening around the skirt she was about to fold.

"You mean when you tried to suffocate my child...."

"So you do remember" he smiled

"I warned Sean not to taint our mother's name"

"She's a good girl Henry"

"Of course you'd say that. I told you when you found me in her room that day, that she'd grow up to be like you. An Indian cock sucker...." Henry said disgustingly. "That piece of shit sitting in your kitchen proves it. You whored yourself with a Indian scum and now Samantha is following in your footsteps."

Tears filled Marcia's eyes "They're....classmates" she whispered

"And soon she'll be his whore, sucking his filthy brown dick on her knees. They're all gonna laugh about it, a Beckett opening her legs for them. Before you know it all of those dogs want a piece. I should've done Sean a favour and stifle the fuck out of her as a baby." He spat

Marcia held in her sobs, not wanting to see her weak.

"I knew you'd ruin this family since the start" Henry stormed out of the laundry room and into the backyard, which overlooked The entire estate. He pulled out his cigarette, lighting it up.

Ezra finished eating then joined her at the sink and set the cutting board and four knives down . "Your Uncle Henry has a reputation for violence against my people."

Ezra noted Henry go into the laundry and stole close, listening to the conversation. Once Henry was outside he returned to the kitchen to help Samantha. he took special care not to touch her, but also watched everyone in the windows when he couldn't watch them normally.

He let her have her space once the dishes were washed and put away, but he also stayed close. he had returned the knives as he couldn't hide them in his jeans or the shirt.

He did draw her aside when they were alone and spoke softly. "you should really call your dad and get him back here. Your uncle is already losing control."

Before she could ask why. "Please just call."

Marcia broke down in silent sobs, clutching the fabric of her dress near the heart. It hurt her to hear someone say such things about her baby girl. Especially someone that Samantha called uncle. Marcia refused to tell Sean of Henry's behaviour, knowing fully well the consequences it would bring.

Samantha could not believe her eyes when she saw Ezra put away four knives and a cutting board. Is he insane? She thought. Samantha took a minute to think about the situation, understanding it from Ezra's point of view. He was a Willowfoot on Beckett land, his caution had been a protective mechanism. So She let his knife stunt slide.

When Ezra pulled her aside, going on about her uncle, Samantha lost it.

"Are you high?" She asked folding her arms "Look I get that you're nervous about being here and all but no one is going to try and murder you Ezra. My uncle is fine and definitely not stupid enough to start a war over your dumbass so relax." Samantha rubbed her temple, instantly regretting her choice of words.

"I'm sorry..." She muttered, her eyes staring apologetically at him. "My dad is out there helping people and my uncle isn't a psychopath" Samantha smiled softly "Follow me..." She took his hand, leading him up to her bedroom, Closing her door behind them.

"Maybe this may cheer you up" Samantha opened her balcony doors, stepping out onto the wet floor "Careful" her hands stretched out in front, pointing at the yellow in the distance "Your home is right there...so close that I stand here in the evening and sometimes wonder if anyone can see me." She knew no one could see, the distance had been too far for the naked eye.

He didn't say anything not sure what to tell her.

He rolled his eyes at her snap, and followed her upstairs. He sat on the balcony ledge. "Serious question. Are you always so rude when some one is trying to help you? Because that's seriously the only time I've seen you act like that."

He watched her closely, his eyes cold as ever.

"Everytime I reach out to help you snarl and throw insults at me. If this you how you plan on treating people then I will have to tell your mother what i saw before you turn into one of those little girls who is so desperate for love she starts selling herself." His tone was cold, and his voice made it clear he was tired of the games. She needed to listen not snarl at him.

"I'm serious. you need to call your dad. Henry already threatened your mother."

Samantha's hand shook and her eyes watered. Without notice she raised her hand, bringing it back down with a force so it collided with Ezra's face. "Get out..." Samantha side stepped Ezra, heading to her bathroom, closing the door quietly behind her. She rushed to the cabinet under the sink, reaching in back to the far right. "Shit.." the brown bag that held her Peyote, empty.

Marcia entered the Samantha's room, just in time to see her daughter slap the young Indian boy before storming into her bathroom.

"What is going on?" She inquired approaching Ezra on the balcony.

Ezra stared at the door, but he recalled that he had, for some reason promised.

He flicked his thumb over his cheek. "Your daughter has secrets. Nearly as bad that her own uncle tried to kill her when she was an infant." He met Marcia's eyes before she could deny it.

"She won't listen to me. Maybe you will. Call your husband home before Henry does something insane. I can smell his crazy even now. Then you should talk to your daughter ma'am. And forgive me but I am going to tell you this. Something is very wrong with her. That's the fourth time she has gone out of her way to make it clear she hates me. i don't know why I deserve it. But I'm done."

He stepped off the ledge, then turned her and bowed respectfully. "Thank you for a fine dinner ma'am. I am going to sit at the top of the stairs until Mr. Sean arrives. Then i am going home. I don't feel welcome here anymore."

He stepped around her then went to the top of the stairs and sat there, a cheerleading baton secreted from Samantha's stuff.

"What..." The graceful Marcia Beckett paled when Ezra mentioned the incident when Samantha had been only a babe. How much did he hear? She thought.

For Henry used words that had been highly offensive to the woman's ears. A part of her hoped Ezra had not heard the full extent of Henry's hatred. Wanting to protect the young boy from the evils that Henry Beckett was. Wanting to protect her daughter as well.

No one from the outside knew what kind of turmoil The Beckett's faced from their own flesh and blood. Now that the secret was out, Marcia wondered how long the empire David built would stand.

She knew all too well Henry's desire, as did Sean. The difference between the husband and wife duo, was that Marcia saw Henry was for he truly was. While Sean still fell for his brother's pressure, still willing to commit horrible acts in the name of family.

Marcia laid Samantha's clothing on the chair. Ezra's words resonating with her. Most of all her heart trembling at the thought of her daughter going through something terrible, facing it all on her own.

Samantha had been a good child, great grades, manners and a role model to many younger girls in the community. Marcia Beckett was a not a naive woman, she knew her daughter did not own a degree in sainthood. Yet there was never any reason for her to sit and speak with Samantha on anything other than town gossip and the latest fashion.

"Samantha...honey?" Marcia knocked the door softly, when there had been no answer she turned the door knob gently.

Samantha sat on the floor facing the door, her back leaning against the white tub.

Marcia stepped inside, stooping down elegantly. "Samantha..." her voice balanced and stern.

Samantha's eyes found her mother's

"Ezra tol-"

"GET.OUT!" The mere mention of the boys name aggravated her. Who was Ezra Willowfoot to pass judgment on someone like her. What really made the blonde angry, was the fact that he had been right. Ezra was right and it scared Samantha. Her relationship with Colin was dragging her down a path of no return.

Marcia stood, exiting the bathroom. "When you're ready to talk....I'm always here" she smiled sadly.

When Marcia stepped into the hallway, she saw Ezra sitting on the top of the stairs. Like he had been waiting for someone.

"May I?" She asked, sitting next to the Willowfoot teenager. "So..." She stared down the steps "Samantha won't tell me anything, I was told to get out." Her green eyes flickered to Ezra

"I can tell you are keeping whatever secret she has. You could tell me, but you aren't. Even after she slapped you like that....you're protecting her" Marcia could not understand why. For the life of her, she did not know why a headstrong boy like Ezra would protect her daughter like that.

Ezra turned to her and studied her for a long time. "Mrs. Beckett our families have history that I doubt even you know. I know for a fact things happened before the 50's no one will ever have proof of. But you have always been good to me and my family. And your husband may be a bit of jerk but he's a good cop. And he loves his family. My dad still hates him for all that drama when they were younger, but he respects him for loving his family"

He gestured down the stairs. "But all of us hate that man."

He knew his odd answer would confuse her. "I tell you that to explain this. I have no love for your family. Samantha does treat me like crap. But she has reasons. One of which I know. And no I won't tell you because I promised her I wouldn't... yet. But it's hurting her Mrs. Beckett. Hurting her bad. I'm sincerely concerned for her survival. Until tonight I thought it was just the one thing, though I've heard rumors. Now I think that they might be true too."

He bit his lip. He hadn't talked this much in months. "The point is that I am protecting Samantha because she needs it. I know you love your kids, and I know your husband does too. But everyone knows that Henry makes Sean worse. Makes him ignore evidence and truth for the sake of the NAME of the family rather than for the good of the family. And the first causalities of that will be Samantha, Brandon, and Chase. And you. I heard everything he said to you. He wants you dead Mrs. Beckett. And that clearly includes Samantha. Likely the boys too. Before that I will admit I was ready to tell you what I know. But not with Henry here. He'll just make it worse. Likely get her killed in the process."

He gently took her right hand in both of his. "I'm protecting Samantha because she is troubled and she is too afraid to go to you and her father. She's falling apart. And now she won't let me help. Now please. Get your husband here. And tell him what Henry did. I don't care if it makes him angry. Tell him. And if he won't do something then take your children and leave. Get away from Henry. He's insane."

His voice was pitched very low and soft and he kept checking to be sure no one was near the stairs or beside them so they wouldn't be overheard even as quietly as he spoke. He released her hand, revealing the small sheathed neck knife her had put in her palm.

He spoke even more quietly now. "He means you and yours harm Mrs. Beckett. Once Henry is handled then maybe we can talk more about Samantha. She doesn't need or want me. She needs you and her father."

He turned away, surprised by how much he had said, but he had meant every word. Henry didn't scare him personally, but he knew Henry was a killer, a killer of women, and he was certain the madman was more than ready to hurt his own sister-in-law and niece again.

Marcia closed her eyes slowly, taking a deep breath as she calmed herself. Her blonde hair tied neatly into a bun at the back of her neck, black dress, speckled with white polka dots. Making Marcia Beckett the spitting image of a stepford wife, but most of all a woman that would do anything to protect her family. Ezra Willowfoot had been spot on when it came to Henry, the matriarch of the Beckett estate hated the man. However Marcia married Sean, knowing fully well the danger his eldest brother was capable of.

There was one thing Marcia believed above all, Henry would not ever may his hands on her children or herself. No matter how much he hated her because of the past she shared with Thomas Willowfoot. Marcia belonged to Sean now, she was a Beckett. Henry depended on Sean for the financial well being of his family. Henry Beckett was not stupid enough to harm them, it would mean risking burning the bridge with his brother.

Marcia smiled softly, placing the knife back in the teenager's hands. "Thank you for telling me about Samantha..." She whispered. "My husband is busy with the town, I really thank you for your concern about us...despite how you truly feel." Marcia smiled sadly " The Willowfoot's look after their own, and the Beckett's do the same. I trust that you won't ever speak of what you heard today....to anyone...not even my husband." Samantha's resolve to stand on her own was learnt from non other than her mother. Marcia Beckett would stand on her own despite the struggles she faced. Her concern was for Sean and her children, she needed to protect the Beckett family from the outside enemies. The Beckett's were a prominent family in Wilmington, they were not the type of people to wash their dirty laundry in public.

"Your mother called a few minutes ago, she said your grandfather is on his way" Marcia looked at the shirt she laid out that fit the young boy perfectly " Keep the shirt..." She smiled patting his back gently.

Ezra shook his head and stood. "Red would never willingly put so much as a vehicle tire on Beckett land. If you truly think you can handle Henry. Fine. But I can smell the trouble coming. Thank you for the shirt and the meal Mrs. Beckett. But you are a fool. Henry doesn't care about you or your new name. He wants power."

He gave her the knife again, then went to the room she had offered, gathered his things, and walked down the stairs past her, out the door, and into the night before anyone could stop him.

Red wasn't at home. He was standing across the room from Sean Beckett, looking massive and somehow regal despite his sleeveless shirt, and thickly tattooed arms. His cut did nothing to mask his fit frame, and his graying hair fell like a crown onto his neck and shoulders. Thomas was not there, but his Sarge and two other brothers were. They were outside the office while Red studied Sean. Red had utterly despised David Beckett, and was no big fan of Sean's either, but he had forged the peace and he would hold to it.

"Let me make this clear officer. If good ol Henry lays so much as a finger on any of my people, and certainly on my grandson, I don't who and what he is or claims to be. He will come up missing."

Red smirked as he saw Sean growing angry at the threat, "You wanna arrest me? Go ahead. Then i'll make sure that old hanging comes back to the light. You remember what happened to Henry's five buddies back then? I wasn't here then. I'm certain i can come up with something MUCH more interesting. Good evening to you sir." He left with his boys.

When he returned home he found a soaked and mud stained Ezra sitting on the stoop of the chapel. Red waved the others away and sat beside his grandson, waiting for the word.

Ezra didn't speak for a long moment. Then sighed. "Grandpa i know I can't join until I'm 18. And you've said that I can consider myself on probation already with all I do."

Red nodded.

"I want the patch as my 18th birthday present. For that i am willing to do more. But i have a price."

"What's that son?"

"I want to know just what hold Colin has on Samantha Beckett."

"Why?"

"The Becketts owe me now. A couple actually. I saved her life twice. I figure getting rid of him will mean even more owed."

"Why? What's wrong with this Colin?"

"I can't tell you Grandpa. But I can tell you that without him around the Beckett family would be much safer and at peace."

Red nodded again. "I see. And this is because he buys peyote from the rez and shares it with the girl?"

Ezra blinked staring at his grandfather. Red nodded once more. "We have records, pictures, and witnesses of him buying it, even getting violent with the dealers, and others who have seen him give it to her. We don't know for sure if she is using but...."

"How can you know that?"

Red grinned. "Information and knowledge are power son. Doesn't matter if the source is the tribal police, the powerful around town, or a bunch of your peers at the high school who are looking for juice to up their game. Everyone wants to be like Mike."

Ezra slowly nodded. "You know this and you've never used it against Sean Beckett?"

Red shrugged. "Why should we? Samantha means nothing to us. Right?"

Ezra sniffed. "Personally I hope she OD's and learns how stupid she is being."

Red smiled. "So we sit on the information and wait. And watch. The club is still building son. So again. Why Colin?"

Ezra sighed. "He's useless, an idiot, and dangerous as hell. he and his buddies are already beating up Indians every day."

"Not today according to what I hear...."

Ezra shrugged. "He had it coming." He looked right at Red, waiting.

Red considered the boy, the young man, for a long, long while. Then he nodded. "Alright. The patch when you are eighteen. You start prospecting when you are 17. No cut but you can wear the flash. And we will help you eliminate Colin. But you have do a lot for the club. And for the rez. Colin and his buddies are big customers."

"you want me selling? I thought SAMOK didn't sell."

"No. And we don't. But we do protect the rez sellers. In trade for our ammo. You just find the prospective clients and pass the names off to the right people. You already know the actual dealers at your school." He rattled off a long list of names. Ezra went over each name in his mind, then nodded. "Alright."

"That's to make up for the loss in profit. For the club's involvement however you owe us all big."

Ezra nodded, waiting.

"You've shown interest in this MMA thing."

"Yes sir."

"I want you to focus on it even more. Get as good as you can. Then you are going to start entering fight contests. Backyard, bare knuckle, cage fights. All of that. legit and otherwise. You will get a cut I deem suitable, but the rest goes to the club." He held out his right hand. "Agreed?"

Ezra looked at the hand, then considered for a long moment. "Will i have club backup in the crowd?"

"I guarantee it."

Ezra smiled and gripped his grandfather's hand shaking it. "Fine by me. I will need a hundred bucks per week for training, call it another fifty a week for incidentals, and I will need to borrow five grand from you right now to set up a training area here on the farm."

Red studied him for a long while again, still holding his hand, then shook as well. "Agreed. And another hundred a week to you for personal spending. So you better win a lot of fights."

Ezra grinned. "Sure thing Grandpa." They hugged, then Red went inside as Ezra went to the house, watching the club file into the chapel. It would have to be voted on, but the club stood only to gain, and the money would come from Red himself, not the club. Ezra kissed his mother and newest sister, bid the other two good night, had another shower, then went to bed, not once thinking about the ungrateful cow Samantha Beckett or her family. He was asleep within seconds once his head was on the pillow.

The town of Wilmington took everything it was given to rebuild what had been damaged. With the help of Beckett construction all roads were cleared within two days. Debris and fallen trees moved out of the way, buildings cordoned off for further inspection. It took more time than the town would have liked, but things were running soon enough. High praise were sent to the Beckett family for their support in repairs Sean Beckett received compliments of the greatest caliber for his immediate action in the aftermath. Many lives were spared due to the quick respond from rescuers and doctors on standby.

One of the many people who benefited from Sean Beckett's quick thinking had been Tiffany Masters. The high school junior and Samantha's best friend was found and stabilized before being taken to the hospital. Her critical condition no longer a threat, Tiffany had been on her way to a healthy recovery. Although the same could not have been said for Colin Samuel. Wilmington high schools basketball star suffered a terrible concussion from the brutal beating Ezra Willowfoot delivered. After running all the necessary tests, the doctors wondered if Colin would ever have a future in sports. The damage done to his brain not fatal but severe.

Samantha Beckett visited Tiffany and Colin every day till they were both released back into the care of their parents. Colin still could not identify his attacker and looked towards Samantha for answers. Despite her anger and contempt towards the eldest Willowfoot she said nothing.

Samantha also said nothing when her mother inquired about secrets that she had been keeping. This made Samantha even more angry with Ezra. After he stood at the bottom of the Beckett driveway, promising not the breathe a word of it to anyone. Samantha made up a story, something her mother would easily believe. Colin Samuel was a teenager after all, it was quite normal for kids their age to be curious about sex. Samantha told her mother that she had been thinking of giving in to Colin's constant request. Marcia believed every word, forcing her daughter to break up with Colin. Samantha vowed never to trust Ezra Willowfoot again.

Withdrawals from the peyote Colin supplied her with became more than Samantha could have anticipated. Her appetite increased tenfold, she seemed to have a stomach that never felt full. Moods were shifting like an old menopausal woman, still suffering from pre menstrual syndrome. Instead of her usual undressed and boots, when school resumed, Samantha wore sweats a everyday. Her beautiful blonde tresses in a tangled mess on the top of her head. Samantha stopped riding her bicycle, her father dropping off every morning and picking0her up late in the evening.

Halfway during the new school week, Samantha tried sourcing her own drugs. One morning she took her mother's truck. Sean and Marcia under the impression their eldest daughter had been driving to school. Samantha had been doing the exact opposite, the young blonde drove herself to the Indian reservation, applying for a volunteer program they held weekends. Inexperienced and naive, she knew nothing of how the system worked. All Samantha Beckett had been aware of, was that she needed something, and money was a problem. As long as she did not have to face the reality. Her body hooked on the high Colin introduced.

When Henry heard of his niece's charity stunt, volunteering to help the degenerates as he referred to the reservation. The man struggled to contain himself. Sean Beckett had also been up in arms, afraid for his sixteen year old Angel in place where the law held no weight. Marcia was afraid for Samantha, yet proud her child had taken initiative to assist the less fortunate. Sean and Marcia, being concerned parents, laid down rules for Samantha. Her orders were too never stray from her group. Her communication to remain limited, but most of all Sean insisted Samantha leave before dark.

His eyes narrowed at the stubborn girl sitting in front of him. "I do not want you in that place after dark, do you understand me!"

Sean remembered clearly his chat with Red Willowfoot, the day after Wilmington had been attacked by a vicious tornado. He did not want a repeat of the hanging girl. In Sean's mind the Indians were unpredictable now that his older brother decided tor return to Wilmington. He did not want his little girl in the environment where someone would harm her to harm them. Little did Sean know he need not look far, the threat to Samantha was the man she called uncle.

Samantha was welcomed and under heavy guard anytime she was on the rez, but she never even came within three miles of those who sold her needed drug. The word had gone out from SAMOK, and from Red himself and no one dared to cross the club, or their leader.

The club was the true law on the rez. The Tribal Police had more than half it's members in cuts, and Red was on the Council of Chiefs as his family constituted the single largest independent grouping of Natives off the rez in the state. He also fought just as hard for the rez and the citizens as anyone else, and gladly worked to ensure profit for all.

Thus when Samantha and her group arrived they met only the orphans, the widows, a few of the old drunks, and some of the strung out junkies like herself, but none that knew where she could get her drug of choice as they had only returned to the rez after serious threats to their lives in the cities they had been living in, only to find no one able or willing to sell to them either.

As far as peyote went it dried up. No one would sell, give, or even hint about it to the Beckett girl, or more importantly to Colin. Everyone knew he was on medical watch, including multiple daily blood tests. Even his buddies didn't dare try to smuggle him any, though they also were cut off. The rez lost numerous clients from the high school in that regard.

But Red had agreed to other businesses. Steroids and other performance enhancing substances were offered at a much lower price, so much so that many of Wilmington's rivals also purchased. And they had stunning increases in ability. But they had to buy constantly. The natural substances were less potent and nearly impossible to detect, and thus cheaper, but they also didn't have the great effect. The actual steroids, stolen from clinics and hospitals out of state, were immensely more effective but required constant injection. When the money dried up, so did the shots, and the purchasers quickly learned that off the roids they lost abilities they had once prided themselves on.

For a wonder only Colin's buddies seemed able to buy from Wilmington. Everyone from the school was told that only the natural substances were available. Wilmington players were forced to train and practice harder, lead as always by Ezra, and despite the storm cleanup were already fielding the best teams they had ever had in basketball, football, baseball, softball, track, tennis, swimming, golf, and cheer. It seemed they were all obsessed with being the best.

Of course boxing had been canceled after the destruction of the ring, and the infant MMA program stalled once again, but Wilmington still found a new thriving industry and interest in the fight game.

Ezra had used his grandfather's loan wisely, purchasing his own ring and training facilities, then borrowing his cousins/uncles to train on/with.

Without Samantha as even the vaguest distraction and with Colin still in and out of the hospital, Ezra became a machine. He trained every free moment he had, studying by his sister's quizzing him as he worked, or listening to audiobooks, and working the farm with a furious fever. He also submitted himself to weekly blood tests, and careful doses of medically safe and recommended vitamins, minerals, proteins, and other body builders. He had already swole impressively in bulk, yet maintained his lithe form, and he was quicker and leaner than ever.

He could now run a mile in 4 minutes 15 seconds(twenty seconds quicker than his previous record), could dunk with either hand easily (he had raised his vertical a full eight inches), and already held five separate weightlifting school records. He had also hired two MMA coaches for private time and even in this short time was showing real promise. He was lean and agile enough to dodge and move with the strikers, flexible enough to roll with the grapplers, and he was strong and fast enough to strike, block, deflect, evade, grapple and submit as well. He learned technique remarkably fast and practiced each one without stop until he was certain he could do it without fail every time.

His first fight was scheduled for the end of the month, falling nicely between football and the beginning of the basketball program.

People around town had noticed the changes. Ezra was growing more and more impressive, and thus more and more visible, while the once shining star Samantha was fading into obscurity. They were concerned and the gossip flowed heavily, though no one dared mention it to Sean or Marcia and no one had anything to say to Henry.

And Ezra never once let himself be within fifty yards of Samantha. He transferred out of their shared classes, ensured his fellow Natives formed a wall to keep her away on the rare occasions he was free, and easily convinced the coaches to bar her and all distractions from practice and training sessions.

His sisters and mother now collected Chase and Brandon and took them to the park Saturdays, while Fauna and Marcia sat under the picnic area laying out lunch and playing with the happy baby Nicole.

Janice, Lailia, and Ruthie did miss Samantha but they didn't pester the boys about her enjoying their games far too much. Maki had been precluded from the games as she had joined the rez outreach program with Samantha to keep an eye on her, and remind everyone there that the girl was under guard and watch by the Willowfoots.

If Samantha had only know how much that actually meant, especially on the rez, she might not have been able to maintain her rage at Ezra. Many Natives had suffered at the hands of her uncles, her father, her grandfather, and in some cases her other ancestors, and they had not forgotten or forgiven the wounds. The guards had had to quickly and silently fell a would be attacker and drag them off before the people inside the makeshift clinic/care center could notice. Anytime this happened Maki would find some distraction for the Beckett girl and keep her well away from the doors and windows dealing with a person in need of help.

Every one that came to the clinic/care center were also thoroughly searched for weapons, and some were turned away just in case they had been paid to harm the girl. It was being stamped out, but hurt nearly always surpassed fear, even of the club.

By the end of the second week, things were settling down on the rez, and only growing more exciting at the school and in the fight scene. Officially no one knew that Ezra was entering the world of combat, but in reality everyone in town was betting on the young man, and it was rumored that the club had laid a full 100 thousand dollars that he would win his first tournament. This was untrue. It was a quarter million.

Samantha heard many rumours about Ezra's rise to greatness. How much he progressed into an even better athlete. Tiffany Masters spoke of the Indian like he had been God himself. Many girls swooned at the mention of the boy's name. However, Samantha Beckett was not affected, she failed to see what they all saw. It had been two weeks since they both saw each other. The second week we slowly coming to a close, and still no sign of the boy. It made Samantha relax, not having to stress. Ezra was no longer in any of her classes, and she avoided the cafeteria at lunch time, eating in an empty classroom or outside under the trees.

The week flew by quickly, Saturday upon Wilmington before they knew it. Marcia Beckett packed her basket and cooler to meet Fauna and her girls at the park. Sean prepared himself to take up duty at the police station, last minute aftermath issues being dealt with. Samantha slipping into a short jeans pants, with an old shirt and her sneakers. Her job on the reservation for the day consisting of manual labour. A typical Saturday morning in the Beckett household. The green market morning tradition no longer up held due to Samantha's volunteer work and unwillingness to participate. Anything that helped her avoid Ezra Willowfoot had been welcome with open arms. Even if it meant working on Saturday mornings.

"Beckett paint the middle wall" The man in charge ordered

Samantha picked up the bucket of white paint and brush, hauling it into the house.

"Here let me..." A tall strapid Indian boy said. Pulling a small ladder to the area where Samantha needed to paint.

"Thanks" she smiled, stepping into the ladder.

"Careful!" His hands gripped her legs under her bottom, spreading the beautiful blonde girl.

Samantha swallowed slowly, feeling the boy's hand linger on her legs longer than necessary.

"Aren't you afraid me?" She whispered, dipping the paint brush into her bucket.

"You don't look threatening" he chuckled

Samantha glanced back with a smirk "Youre the first person here to actually speak to me besides Maki and the organisers."

The boy shrugged "I'm not afraid of your last name" Nor am I afraid of the Willowfoot's, he thought. "And you're doing it wrong" He climbed up behind her, the front of his body pressing into the back of hers, hands on top of her hands as he directed her movements. "Light strokes....up and down....lightly" he said softly near her ears. Causing Samantha to swallow even harder.

When the boy climbed back down so did she. "My name's Samantha"

"I know.." he grinned "I'm Luke"

Samantha climbed back up to finish her job. Luke simply standing nearby, unable to draw his eyes away from the Beckett girl. The way her jeans clung to her round ass, legs fair and toned. The body of a white girl he had never seen before. Luke stepped closer, just enough for Smantha alone to hear.

"I can get you what you want..."

This caught the girls attention "What do you mean?"

"Let me take you out tonight, in the big city, where none of the rules here apply" he smirked, hands lightly trailing the back of her leg.

"Okay..." She said softly, excited and scared all at the same time.

"Meet me at the town park tonight, eight sharp, don't be late."

By the time Samantha turned around to reply, the boy had disappeared.

Like Luke mentioned, Samantha waited in her red truck in the parking lot the town park. Her parents knew nothing except that she and Tiffany would be studying all night at a friend's house

Maki and the other girls noticed Luke's attention to the lovely Beckett girl, and dutifully reported his actions and intent to her elders.

Luke was free to meet with Samantha Beckett, but the word was out in the cities, and a car followed the young man to the park to meet the girl, with four members of the club watching everything. "The boy needs a lesson. He thinks he's above the law."

Ezra was unaware of all of this. He had spent the day at the market, helping sort and sell, packing people's things and garnering support for Wilmington, handing out tickets to the night's game.

That night, while Samantha waited for Luke, the game started. Ezra wasn't the star on football, but he was the heart and anchor of the defense, and his new skills and strength soon had the offense reeling, as even three linemen could not hold him back. The people around the Becketts were cheering just as loud as the young man ripped through the line and sacked the QB a full seven times in a single half, so flustering the All-State starter he threw the ball away ten times, and threw four interceptions, two of which were run back for touchdowns, one by Ezra himself. By the half Wilmington lead 42 to 0 and the opponents had already been forced to dig deep into their third string as the fit, fast, and strong Wilmington Wildcats were running roughshod over them and tiring out even their best.

By the end of the game, at 10, the score was an ungodly 94 - 0, Ezra had broken three district records, another four school records, and several others on the team had smashed numerous records, including completed passes, yards run, touchdowns scored in a quarter, passing yards, tackles, and fumbles recovered. The team was covered in glory and the whole town was cheering as Ezra lead his defense off the field to shower and meet at the Wildcat WildHouse, the local teen hangout where a massive food party was waiting with several hundred pizzas, six foot subs, and piles of sandwiches, fries, chips and the like, and gallons of ice cream and soda.

Ezra took his sisters through the line making sure they got plenty of ice cream as tonight they were allowed to stay up at his request, and even little Nicole got some melted down vanilla her brother very carefully fed her. She was quite taken with the flavor and cooed happily.

Ezra also snuck Chase and Brandon Beckett large ice creams and got his mother to distract Marcia while Thomas and Sean, for once, were having a good natured argument about their past when they too had worn the Wildcat jersey.

The party went on at full blast until 11, then everyone scurried home, Ezra carrying all four of his sleeping sisters to the car, then tucked them in at home, had a shower, then went down to his ring for an hour of training.

Red, Thomas, and the other officers went down to watch him, softly marveling at his energy and his intensity, as well as his explosiveness, stamina and endurance. Soon the hour turned into two, then a third, which filled with his cousins and uncles trying to drag him down first one on one, then as a group. He broke, slithered, wriggled, and fought his way free every time.

Red sent them on their way when Ezra lay a grapple dummy on his shoulders and squatted, just holding it as he held two thirty pound weights straight ahead for another hour. He then entered the ring studying his grandson.

"I see you mean to ensure a win. And pay me back?"

"Well the winner's purse is ten k. That's 9750 to you when I win."

Ezra had already startled his grandfather by having his coaches take turns striking him again and again, and the boy had taken blows Red didn't think he could stomach, and he just continued to push and push himself. Red nodded. "Actually we're guna give you 3k. Pay off your coaches even more. I want them out here more and with better gear. And you should consider saving what you have left over."

Ezra grinned. "Already do Red. I eat mom and dad's food and wear the clothes they buy me. I already have a cd player and my books. I don't pay at the Wildhouse, though I keep track of what I get for later. So everything I don't spend on training goes in the bank."

"Good man. How much and account number?"

"Noneya and not telling old man."

He grinned at his grandfather who laughed, and began pressing down on the boy's shoulders and arms. Ezra pushed back. "Nice. Resistance training while doing isometrics. good strength building."

Thomas laughed studying his son as Red teased him. He marveled at his son but he suspected that his spurt of achievement was not because of the two weeks of training but because of a mixture of the boy's chores, work at the farm and the cleanup, and the already impressive training regiment Ezra had followed before the storm. The recent two weeks had just served as a trigger.

Red finished messing with the boy, checked the area, then stepped back. "I want you to understand something Ezra. Your success is important to me and the club. But secondary to your health and safety. Don't hurt yourself especially in fights."

Ezra nodded. "I gotcha gramps. I can only hold this an hour because last week I could hold it for fifty minutes. I used to use haybales or logs. I would go up about two minutes a night. Sometimes I couldn't make it. Sometimes I could. Just kept trying."

Red nodded sitting on a turnbuckle. "Just promise me you won't get yourself hurt."

Ezra nodded. "I promise Grandpa."

"Good man. Now that I've finished imitating your grandmother I have some updates for you."

"Sir?"

"You are one in forty. Single elimination obviously. I'm paying for your 250 dollar entry fee, which makes up the purse. You are the youngest by five years, but also one of the smallest, both in height and weight. You need to watch yourself. Especially for one Oliver Samuel."

"Samuel?"

"Very distant cousin to your friend Colin. He's seven feet three inches, weighs about four hundred pounds and has won this specific tournament four times, and five others four times as well. He's the Oklahoma king of UFC, unofficially of course. Five black belts and very mean. He's the man to beat son."

Ezra nodded. "The dummy on my neck is two fifty gramps. If I'm careful I can double that by the time I fight him. The game tonight actually helps. We have a bye that weekend anyway."

Red nodded. "And two games between. You build slow and careful son. End the first ones fast. You're already topseeded though so you have more fights. Burn through them and finish this Oliver as quick as you can."

"Yes sir."

"Good man."

They all fell silent, watching Ezra as he began to slowly and very carefully lower then raise his squat, keeping the strain of the isometric exercise, but stretching and strengthening the muscles used to hold the pose. He also began to row with his arms, making the muscles throughout his arms, shoulders and back bunch and knot powerfully. When the hour was finished he dropped, did a hundred rapid push-ups, then jumped on and off a free turnbuckle as many times before joining his family and heading inside for a small meal, a shower, then bed.

Back with Samantha the four had already contacted associates in every city around, warning them not to supply either Samantha or Luke with anything intoxicating, including beer. They had also contacted some friends in the State Highway Patrol and had them guarding the borders in case Luke was dumb enough to take her across state lines, thus legally committing kidnapping.

Back
Top Bottom