Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Does post length = Literacy to you?

Star Pupil

Old soul
For a long time I considered the length of my post to equate to that of my literacy skill. I thought and often times still think, if I don't write a certain amount of paragraphs my partner will get bored of me. Or they'll think I'm bored with them!

But with the obsession of being able to write more and more...at what point does it stop being roleplaying and more that you're telling a story? Or more often than not, a retro active story?

Retro-posting is annoying to me now. It used to never bother me, but now it does because I want to be able to *react* to something. My reaction to something could potentially change the way the next action that my partner will take, but if I don't get a chance because I'm far too busy retro reacting and then acting later, it leaves a lacking feeling. Well geeze, I could have done this but the story is already moved on and I can't do anything but retro act now.

But wait! You can write a very lengthy, descriptive post without actually doing something. But then, there's that thing we like to call fluff. To have that be a requirement every single post seems silly. We've already set the scene and described everything around us. We do not need to revisit the crack in the wall, or the peculiar stench in the air we noted at the beginning that is getting no better but no worse, etc.

Anyways I'm rambling. Back to the current topic. The definition of literacy is this:

lit·er·a·cy
ˈlidərəsē,ˈlitrəsē/
noun
the ability to read and write.
synonyms: ability to read and write, reading/writing proficiency; More
competence or knowledge in a specified area.
"wine literacy can't be taught in three hours"

If a partner has both the ability to write and the knowledge to create a visual of the setting around you for the most part, but only averaged a paragraph, would you consider that person literate?

If I'm able to paint a detailed picture in my head of the scene, using only the person's written descriptions, I would consider that a job well done in literacy. It shouldn't matter if the post is 2000 words long, or three sentences, the message should be clear.

I understand when someone prefers post-lengths to be multiple paragraphs, or even to span several scenes, but I strongly believe that creative writing competency is not directly linked to the amount of words one can fit into a single post. If someone is overflowing with ideas as to how they would like to structure their RP response, those ideas must properly translate into writing in such a manner that is easily absorbed by readers.

Rauk said:
If I'm able to paint a detailed picture in my head of the scene, using only the person's written descriptions, I would consider that a job well done in literacy. It shouldn't matter if the post is 2000 words long, or three sentences, the message should be clear.

I understand when someone prefers post-lengths to be multiple paragraphs, or even to span several scenes, but I strongly believe that creative writing competency is not directly linked to the amount of words one can fit into a single post. If someone is overflowing with ideas as to how they would like to structure their RP response, those ideas must properly translate into writing in such a manner that is easily absorbed by readers.
People want that? The only time I have to do a several scene post is when I need to establish something between my own characters and there isn't anything for my partner to do.

Every RP is unique and dependent upon the writers involved. Some people like short posts with little to no detail. Some people like long posts with heaps of it. It's much like when you read a book. What kinds of stories do you like? You tend to have preferences for certain types of authors and certain sorts of writing styles. Naturally the same will go for how YOU like to write. Plus, it's what you get out of it. It's your experience after all.

Me? I prefer to write a lot of detail. I like that. I like a lot of story and world building and character development. I just love that oozing from every sentence that me and my co-writer type out. Not everyone digs that. And also, though I dig that...it doesn't always take a fuck ton of words to get that across. Sometimes it can take 1500 words in a post to do it (it's really rather scene or situation dependent, meaning where you are in the story...what's going on, what characters are involved, blah blah blah) and then sometimes it takes about 300 words. *shrugs* My posts vary in length so much it's hella dumb. LOL! So really, I don't think on how many words I'm writing, but more about what I'm trying to get across to my co-writer so that they 1) have something to write against and 2) I've gotten a picture across to them (a clear image of what's going on with the story). But that's about it.

Others don't always give a fuck if there's a story. Some just want a one-shot and that's all there is folks. And hey! If that's your deal...power to you. I'm not up for that. Bores me to tears plus I'm not here to cyber or get my fucking jollies. I mean, I know not everyone does a one-shot for that reason.......but, ehhh....sorry, most who've attempted that with me. Sorry, yeah. That's how it's come off. <.< But *ahem* yeah. Not for me. I like to write. STORY BITCHES! lolol. XD

Anddddd....I'll return to the rock from whence I came. >.>

darkangel76 said:
Every RP is unique and dependent upon the writers involved. Some people like short posts with little to no detail. Some people like long posts with heaps of it. It's much like when you read a book. What kinds of stories do you like? You tend to have preferences for certain types of authors and certain sorts of writing styles. Naturally the same will go for how YOU like to write. Plus, it's what you get out of it. It's your experience after all.

Me? I prefer to write a lot of detail. I like that. I like a lot of story and world building and character development. I just love that oozing from every sentence that me and my co-writer type out. Not everyone digs that. And also, though I dig that...it doesn't always take a fuck ton of words to get that across. Sometimes it can take 1500 words in a post to do it (it's really rather scene or situation dependent, meaning where you are in the story...what's going on, what characters are involved, blah blah blah) and then sometimes it takes about 300 words. *shrugs* My posts vary in length so much it's hella dumb. LOL! So really, I don't think on how many words I'm writing, but more about what I'm trying to get across to my co-writer so that they 1) have something to write against and 2) I've gotten a picture across to them (a clear image of what's going on with the story). But that's about it.

Others don't always give a fuck if there's a story. Some just want a one-shot and that's all there is folks. And hey! If that's your deal...power to you. I'm not up for that. Bores me to tears plus I'm not here to cyber or get my fucking jollies. I mean, I know not everyone does a one-shot for that reason.......but, ehhh....sorry, most who've attempted that with me. Sorry, yeah. That's how it's come off. <.< But *ahem* yeah. Not for me. I like to write. STORY BITCHES! lolol. XD

Anddddd....I'll return to the rock from whence I came. >.>
Couldn't have said that better myself. But because I like story, I like to be able to post in a reasonable amount of time. Last year, I had so many rps going that I got super drained and I actually posted less because I was too busy trying to build up everything, each and every post. Now my posts vary in length too, but when more important parts of the story start happening they get bigger and bigger. I like how natural roleplaying feels, when the length is appropriate depending on what you're doing in the scene.

PS, where are you finding people who like story? I have so much trouble finding people who are into the story and not the freaking smut. I love smut, I do some pretty smutty stuff but it's all mixed in with the plot.

Does post length equal literacy to you? In short, no it does not.

Darkangel76 put it perfectly. Each RP is unique, and like RPs, each person and writer is unique. Though you put a definition of literacy up, I think to each and every person it means something different, whether by a lot or by a little.

In your original post, you asked If a partner has both the ability to write and the knowledge to create a visual of the setting around you for the most part, but only averaged a paragraph, would you consider that person literate? In my opinion, yes. I personally love to write long posts, and I even have a RP where each post averages about a thousand words. But is it really necessary? Sometimes its just flowery prose, probably a habit I picked up from classical literature where they spend large portions of the book discussing morality and such. It’s not for everyone, but I think like sexual fetishes, there’s a market for everyone out there in terms of writing styles.

When we come to this site, it’s generally to roleplay and to create amazing stories with people for mutual enjoyment. When that is achieved, then as a writer, you have portrayed literacy in that your writing is proficient. In terms of stories, this is when you describe a scene, whether in one thousand words or one hundred, which captures the mind of the other and allows them to visualize it according to their own standards.

This is just my opinion on the topic. Like I said before, each person and writer is unique, and that definition of literacy will change in regards to their own experiences and standards. I hope this helped!

BennyQ said:
This is just my opinion on the topic. Like I said before, each person and writer is unique, and that definition of literacy will change in regards to their own experiences and standards. I hope this helped!

The definition of literacy is definitely subjective when it comes to writing, roleplays specifically. I remember when people would rate their literacy as such:
Semi-literate
Literate
Adv-literate

So I'm perfectly aware that the definition varies on a case by case basis, which is why I made the topic in the first place!

Thanks for responding, I definitely want to hear everyone's opinion on the matter. :)

I've used those terms before when trying to garner interest through a request but personally...I hate them. What is the standard and limitations for each? Is there some sort of centralized governing committee that decides this? I think those terms more relate to writing format (the difference between normal writing like this and text-speak) than actual skill at story-telling and so forth.

Princess Pittooey said:
Rauk said:

People want that? The only time I have to do a several scene post is when I need to establish something between my own characters and there isn't anything for my partner to do.

In my experience here, I've had partners of many writing flavors. Some of the RPs I had in mind, had two to three scenes going on simultaneously in each post. This can be difficult to keep track of without sufficient word flow. Is it rewarding if both partners mesh well, and it's pulled off? Hell yes. However, it can take away from the sense of immersion. It may be difficult to grow emotionally attached to each character, when there is so much going on at one time. Also, there's that feeling of "I don't feel like typing up three screens worth of text right now."

Personally, I get the same sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from simple stories with detailed, yet streamlined and shorter posting. Lately, I've been finding it much easier for me to create a solid 1 to 3 paragraph post. This is a comfort zone for me, where I feel that I'm efficiently detailing my reply, without adding a lot of unnecessary content. I like to make sure my partner has plenty to work with, while not requiring them to set aside an entire evening just to read it.

No, post length most certainly does not equal literacy.

I'm quite literate, always have been but when I started actually RPing I was only doing 1-3 lines. And they were very unpolished, kind of like a rough draft I guess.
My only experience with writing before RPing was in poetry and school assignments. I had some difficulty for awhile with it because I'd never done anything like it before.
As I wrote more and more I gradually got better at it, gained more experience. I would write with people who were better than me because it just helped me grow more as a writer. Its never been about the length of the post but the quality of it. I've seen shorter posts that were just brilliant and I've seen longer posts that made my head hurt trying to read them.

I tend to have more of a preference for longer posts simply because I love all the details and it gives me more to work with as well as my partner. Insofar as its not all a bunch of repetitive fluff anyways. But in the end and in my personal view, Post length will never equal literacy.

Rauk said:
Princess Pittooey said:
Rauk said:

In my experience here, I've had partners of many writing flavors. Some of the RPs I had in mind, had two to three scenes going on simultaneously in each post. This can be difficult to keep track of without sufficient word flow. Is it rewarding if both partners mesh well, and it's pulled off? Hell yes. However, it can take away from the sense of immersion. It may be difficult to grow emotionally attached to each character, when there is so much going on at one time. Also, there's that feeling of "I don't feel like typing up three screens worth of text right now."

Personally, I get the same sense of satisfaction and accomplishment from simple stories with detailed, yet streamlined and shorter posting. Lately, I've been finding it much easier for me to create a solid 1 to 3 paragraph post. This is a comfort zone for me, where I feel that I'm efficiently detailing my reply, without adding a lot of unnecessary content. I like to make sure my partner has plenty to work with, while not requiring them to set aside an entire evening just to read it.

Oh, that's what you meant. I do those all the time lol. I don't know what I thought you meant.

Karameida said:

I'm quite literate, always have been but when I started actually RPing I was only doing 1-3 lines. And they were very unpolished, kind of like a rough draft I guess.
My only experience with writing before RPing was in poetry and school assignments. I had some difficulty for awhile with it because I'd never done anything like it before.
As I wrote more and more I gradually got better at it, gained more experience. I would write with people who were better than me because it just helped me grow more as a writer. Its never been about the length of the post but the quality of it. I've seen shorter posts that were just brilliant and I've seen longer posts that made my head hurt trying to read them.

I tend to have more of a preference for longer posts simply because I love all the details and it gives me more to work with as well as my partner. Insofar as its not all a bunch of repetitive fluff anyways. But in the end and in my personal view, Post length will never equal literacy.
Nicely said. I also have a preference for longer posts, but it's only because I don't know many people who can push a scene or articulate their characters thoughts or feelings in a few sentences.

Princess Pittooey said:
Karameida said:

Nicely said. I also have a preference for longer posts, but it's only because I don't know many people who can push a scene or articulate their characters thoughts or feelings in a few sentences.

Thank you~
Yeah. There will always be times when theres a lull in the RP and posts get shorter. I've noticed with a lot of my previous partners that they never really mentioned how their characters felt or viewed things and what not. In books I always loved when you got viewpoints from each main character. The female, male and often times the villain. It was just cool being able to get that insight.

I wouldn't want to rehash much of what has been said, and I whole-heartedly agree with, so I will only touch on what I feel hasn't been said yet.

To me the role play is a story, you are telling something, from multiple points of view, that is occurring to the characters and minor ones, if you involve them. Unless there is a story there is no drama, then you have no action...and then the boredom comes. Something has to be happening, the characters need to react, otherwise you end up with just a static scene that goes nowhere. Many people don't want to get into that, and I have done one shots where its just picking up from something, and they are fun. I've also built up complex characters that you understand why they react the way they do, slowly giving them depth over time. I find its more fun to watch your characters grow with your partner while you build up everything. Even adding minor characters to give depth.

Retro can be good or bad. Its bad when it adds nothing, there is no development and you just rehash what has already been done. Good when it adds to the tension, drama, or whatever.

Everyone wants something different, its all about finding the right partner that meshes with you.

I really hate how snobby roleplayers get over post length, because no, it does not equal literacy. If I mashed the keyboard, typing ten thousand lines of pure random garbage well... by some people's logic I'm a genius. Heh. (Well, okay, not quite.)

No, I don't really mind about post length. I usually think for forum roleplay, about three short paragraphs is enough. A post should be about 5-10 seconds worth of stuff happening, unless people are changing scenes or other context specific stuff is happening. Some posts will be longer, some shorter. It all depends on what is happening.

Personally, here, I don't really look for a complex story. I'll go elsewhere and indeed, I have done, for those kinds of roleplays. Here, I think the story should merely serve as an excuse for smutty writing. I have no problem with people who think otherwise, that's just how I do it. Even so, there's a lot of description and emotion going on in scenes that you can't really capture with just a single line or two. Build on that, then it's great. Heh. Personally I prefer chatroom style roleplay, where you can't quite get the detail of forum style, but it's a lot quicker. Because there's a time pressure, I think people can get the detail down, but in a much more conservative way, which is always great to read and be a part of.

But yes, Indeed. Post length certainly doesn't equal literacy. Seems most people are in agreement with that.

Thank the Goddess, I suppose I have always worried about post length for basically nothing.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. :)

Post length isn't literacy. Absolutely not. There are times in every RP where it is impossible to progress the story with a long post without repeating yourself or controlling the other character.In these times, I don't mind if my partner writes something small. On the other hand, I've had people write a wall of text that is just redundant. I remember someone taking an entire paragraph to describe his character opening a closet. That was annoying. Too annoying.

However, post length is important for me. When my partner writes one paragraph I find it a sign of disinterest. If you see me writing small posts that usually means I'm hating the RP and I want it to end quickly yet properly. When I accept RP proposals I usually check some of the person's old posts and oft I don't have the time to actually read every single thing so post length offers me a good indication.

Quality is what makes you literate in my opinion. Funnily enough, I don't care about fancy words and vivid descriptions. I like plot twists more. I don't like having to push the story while you react. I want you there shaping the story with me even if our imaginations clash and you end up writing lesser than me.​

Princess Pittooey said:
Thank the Goddess, I suppose I have always worried about post length for basically nothing.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. :)

Indeed you have! But its not hard to see why. I was worried about it for a very long time and sometimes still do worry about it a little. I find myself trying to find ways to lengthen a shorter post and have to actively stop myself from doing so. Otherwise I really would bore my partners and stress myself out to a point where RPing was no longer enjoyable. ><;

Sometimes it feels like a certain length is expected of you. And sometimes you try and live up to it without realizing it. And that can burn you out very quickly. Even without people saying it...sometimes you feel like thats just how it works.

Shrugs

It doesn't help when you RP with someone whose really good and you feel out of your league so you try to do more to at least try to match them. A lot of times the true spirit of Roleplaying gets lost in all these things. Its about creating a story together one you and your partner are happy with.

Its not about how many paragraphs a post has. I sometimes have to remind myself of this fact from time to time.

Le hugs~

A topic like this can be very helpful to remind oneself about what RPing is SUPPOSED to be about. Now thats not to say you should RP with just anybody. Everyone has their own style of writing and sometimes the styles don't work well together.

But yeah.

I really didn't bother reading all the posts. In retrospect this is one of those perception based questions as every one perceives the meanings and values differently an harbor ill will to those who would shot a cannon at their castle so to speak. As far as I've always been concerned so long as both parties are having fun and the posts are of enough substance to get the point across. WHO CARES?!?! I role play to have fun an experience things i can not in real life. That is my priority number one. every thing else false under number ten and lower. 2-9 do not exist as having fun an enjoying myself is that big of a deal. with my humble OPINION placed and myself exposed more then I enjoy. have fun ya'll.

Post length and literacy often go hand in hand but neither is a prerequisite for the other. I've seen plenty of long winded posts that amount to little more than the ramblings of an idiot. Likewise, I've seen one line posts that are both meaningful and cognisant of the story and its meta structure. I think that the best writers hover around a paragraph or so for most posts. Most. There are of course times when the story begs for more prose or when a one liner will carry more weight than the lengthiest text wall. The good writers know what length is appropriate and when.

rcondon2453 said:
I really didn't bother reading all the posts. In retrospect this is one of those perception based questions as every one perceives the meanings and values differently an harbor ill will to those who would shot a cannon at their castle so to speak. As far as I've always been concerned so long as both parties are having fun and the posts are of enough substance to get the point across. WHO CARES?!?! I role play to have fun an experience things i can not in real life. That is my priority number one. every thing else false under number ten and lower. 2-9 do not exist as having fun an enjoying myself is that big of a deal. with my humble OPINION placed and myself exposed more then I enjoy. have fun ya'll.

Now, case in point, I'm gonna use this fella as an example since he was so rude. And before homeslice even argues that he wasn't being a jerk, I would direct everyone to his first sentence. So, we've established that he's being a dick here and we can move on.

Average post length for most writers is a paragraph, which is about what this guy has written. However, the quality of his writing is very low, and so a good writer ('literate' to use the terminology of the forum) could achieve as much or more with a good one-liner. A good writer has the vocabulary to say in a single word what took homeskillet three or four words since his lexicon was lacking.

Beyond the salient point of quantity/quality, there are the glaring mechanical errors, usage errors (exempla gratis: shot, then, every one), and the rampant abuse and negligence of capitalization. Now, speaking to the original point of this thread, I don't think that this average-length post constitutes average literacy. Maybe it does in terms of the quality that we expect on the internet forums, but this is something you wouldn't want to read if you saw it in print or any other format. You'd most likely chuck the magazine/paper/novel/whatever and go do something else, and that's the real litmus test.

So in short, you could summarize by saying, "A literate poster is one whose posts make me want to read more of his writing, not just for the subject matter but for his ability to communicate in a legible, aesthetically pleasing fashion."

There are a lot of fantastic points here for either side of the coin. And, as darkangel76 had said, each of us is a unique snowflake in this matter. Like me, for example, I actually started roleplay on my phone, and that practice continues to this day. I signed up to this site on mobile. I learned that you can stuff a lot of detail into a short post, using a variety of words and more descriptive words.

That's not to say that you stuff anything you write with long words for an excuse to write less. I try to let the people I have potential RP stuffs with know that I post with a phone, and that I am a quality writer. I always found the terminology of 'quality vs. quantity' a bit too vague for me, simply because I have no parameters on which either is. What would be too much quantity, sacrificing quality? I never knew.

So...I just typed a post explaining that I don't mind shorter posts, so long as the painting is in my head and Bob Ross was joyfully taking me step by step through it.

Not to me personally,no.I define literacy as the ability to paint pictures with words,and bring the readers into a scene.I don't even care if I have a partner who can't spell very well.I get the gist of what they mean.I have someone I have RPed with for years.English isn't her first language, and she writes just fine.

Sometimes you can say a lot more with a lot less. There's a specific song I think of when I think about this and it's from the New Albion Radio Hour. It's describing a civil war and:

"The revolution, my friends, is here and it's been going on for years.
All the undertakers and arms dealers all have crystal chandeliers."

Says so much with so little. It really depends on the context of the scene though.

Back
Top Bottom