Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

Kate smiled and said, "Well, I am quite excited with this new position of being Pawnee's school teacher." She mentioned to the Mayor of the town. She did see the irony of it being called Pawnee like in Parks and Rec. Oh god, she was in a sitcom. "Well, I think I can handle about twenty to thirty students. Will there be enough desks or tables for all of them? Actually, I suppose I ought to go and have a look." She mentioned as she looked over to Ben and said, "Do come by to say goodbye before you return to the ranch." She said with a polite smile.

Once Ben was gone, Kate was back to business as the Deputy said. "Well, it's good to see someone who is looking forward to teaching." He said as he looked to the Mayor, "Henry, I ought to do my rounds... and see if Eric is back." He said as he went off towards the door. "It was nice to meet you, Ms. Williams. I will see you about."

"Come along then," Mayor Rite said easily, "it's this way."

The 'school house' was a two storey building. The first floor was a large room with a smaller room off to the side and a large staircase leading to the second floor. Tables with little chairs had been set up in rows, and these were obviously meant to act as desks. A large chalkboard - a rare treat that the town had pitched in to provide, dominated the far end of the room, facing the 'desks'. A large desk sat in front of the chalkboard. It was obvious the women of the town had decorated the place. A bunch of flowers sat on the teacher's desk, and the windows all had fancy floral curtains. There was one bookshelf, floor to ceiling high, with a few school books on one shelf but the other shelves were empty.

"Your quarters are upstairs, we've provided furniture, as per our agreement. Your things arrived on the coach just yesterday. The women folk left it in your bedroom for you to unpack." The Mayor explained. He stood back and let Kate explore if she wished.

"If you find anything missing, just let us know."

The school house was the cutest thing building of her dreams. It was two floors and she had her own area and there were tables and there flowers on the desk. It was adorable. Of course, there was a lot different from her own middle school classroom but this was... “It's perfect.” She said as she turned to the Mayor of the town. “Oh, it is more than I expected...” She admitted. “I mean, it's just darling.” Kate was impressed to say the least and she really couldn't wait to start teaching. Now, she couldn't until the end of August and so, that would give her a lot of time to set up.

“Is there anything that I should know? Is there anything that I ought to be doing since school is not for another four or so weeks?” She asked with a smile.

Of course, she was a little curious about the things that was upstairs and had come by coach? Was it more of Ms. Matthew's clothing and such?

“I mean, I will start with lessons but... I do need to assess some of the children's levels of education? I mean, some will need to learn to spell their names and others will be great readers.” She explained with some concern. “I am excited to start however and...” She paused. “Well, I would also like to offer adult classes once a week for those who are interested...”

Mayor Rite laughed, somewhat pleased with her response. When he heard she was a city girl he'd expected her to fuss and perhaps find fault, but her pleasure was a nice change from what he'd expected. He ran his hand over the back of his neck.

"Well, you'll need a tour of the town. I'll introduce you to the people, but that can wait for tomorrow, once you're settled of course. As for what you should be doing I suppose acquainting yourself with the town folk, learning your way around, getting comfortable. Once school does start I imagine you'll have some mighty annoyed children to deal with and that won't be an easy thing."

"Adult classes you say? And what would you teach? I could bring it up to a few people, see if anyone is interested. I know a few old folks who might enjoy that..." Like the owner of the General Store. He was always complaining about nothing to do in the evenings but visit the saloon... and how that was leading people to sin. "Make it a Bible study and I'm fairly certain there'd be more than a few folks at your door."

Ben dragged Luke and Noah from the sweet shop by their ears, tossing them off the boardwalk with a sharp command to 'smarten up'. The boys both had pockets full of sweets so they weren't particularly concerned. They were given orders to deliver Ms. Williams saddlebags to the school, so off they went, guiding their horses, munching on sweets on their way.

For his part, Ben would give Ms. Williams some room. He headed for the General Store to get the supplies they'd need, and to make a few orders.

She looked a little unsure about Bible study as she said, "Well, I don't know... I will have to see." Wasn't bible study something that the Pastor or his wife would do? She wanted to teach something that would help. She supposed the Bible would help people learn to read? Changing the subject, she said. "I think a tour of the town would do me right." She mentioned to the Mayor. "And yes, I suppose that I will be able to meet all of those in the village at church?" She mentioned with a smile.

"For today, there is a lot of work that I will be doing... Getting organized." Kate said as she thought about her saddlebags and the things that were in there. However, it was at that moment that someone was at the door of the schoolhouse and knocking.

She wondered if it was Ben... So soon? "I will go see..." She said as the young teacher went to the door and opened it to see Noah and Luke. "Oh... Hello." She said as they had the saddle bags and she quickly moved out of the way so they could bring the heavy bags inside.

"Well, what great timing. Noah, Luke, why don't you two give Ms. Williams here a tour?" Mayor Rite suggested. They had, after all, been with her for two days. She would be familiar and comfortable with them and that, to him, seemed best.

The boys carried the saddlebags inside, dropping them to the side. Clearly they were still struggling to carry them. "Sure!" Luke said, "we can do that."

"No, we can't, you can. Ben gave us a few chores. I'll handle them though," Noah said, "Ms. Williams." He tipped his hat at her before leaving.

Luke shrugged, "All right. I'll show you around then!"

"If you guys are busy when you certainly don't have to give me a tour of the town." Kate said to Luke and Noah as she glanced at the Mayor. "I mean, they are only in town for a short time." She said but she would not mind having a tour from Luke... He was her unofficial guide the the 19th century apparently. It was just ironic that he was always given that task.

"Of course, unless you don't mind?" She mentioned as she smiled. After all, she did want to know what there was in the town for the most part. She would also need to have her horse in a stable and as she thought of that, she asked the mayor about just that. "Is there somewhere that I can keep my horse in town? I can't have her tied up." She mentioned.

"They're grounded for now," Luke said, "but I'll show you where to take her."

"Thank you Luke," Mayor Rite smiled, "Right, well, I'll leave you two to it. I will see you later, young lady."

He headed out first, Luke held the door for Kate, smiling at her brightly. He was happy to play tour guide instead of chore fetcher. "First, there's a small barn around back, for your horse. You'll probably have to feed her, brush her, water her, all that. i don't think they have anyone else to do it? But maybe they do. And uh... after that I'll take you around. There isn't a lot to see, but there are a few places. Like the sweet shop!"

The sweet shop, as Luke called it, was really a mixture of clothing store/bakery run by the Mayor's wife. It didn't make a lot of money but Mrs. Rite enjoyed mending clothes, making clothes but most importantly candy. She not only ordered candy in from the city, she often made her own.

"Thank you so much for all that you have done, Mayor Rite." She said to him as he was out the door of the school first, Noah having already left to do chores. It left herself and Luke for the little tour of the village. "Well, I can take care of a horse... I know I'm a lady but I am certainly not afraid to take care of my horse... oh, I ought to name her..." She paused before saying, "Persephone." She smiled liking the name of the Greek Goddess of the Spring. "The sweet shop... that must be your favourite place to be." She teased the teenager.

"Right, now... what else is in the town?" She asked curiously as they were out the door and she noticed that it was a only a few buildings... not many shops but there was a general store and the 'sweet shop' as well as a few places for things like blacksmithing, the jail and there was the saloon that people thought was so horrible. It was also a hotel for respectable sorts but there were other services as well.

"And uh..." Luke concluded after he'd taken her to each door - he insisted on actually walking her to the buildings so he could introduce her to people. He was well known in town, people smiling at him easily. Very few seemed unfriendly, although there was the odd sour face.

"I guess that's it?"

Across the street Eric had returned and was standing on the board walk talking with Jesse and Ben. They had the look about them of men who were discussing something serious, maybe secret. Ben had his usual frown, Jesse too.

Luke shook his head as he looked at his brothers.

"It's funny, Jesse isn't blood you know... but he's more like Ben than any of us that are. I think, maybe, that's because he looked up to Ben so much when they were younger." It didn't occur to him that Ms. Williams was not aware that Jesse wasn't a Wilson by blood. It was just something that 'was' so he never thought much of it.

That was an interesting development as she looked to Luke for a moment, "Jesse is not your real brother?" She blurted out as she blinked a few times before saying, "I mean... I never really realized... it's a bit surprising." She said to the youngest of the brothers. "It is like you said... he is a lot like your oldest brother that I just kind of assumed that you were a related." She mentioned as she walked with him as they were close to the saloon. "What building is that?" It had a hanging wooden sign as she said. "Ohhh... that's the saloon." Was it like in the old west with dancing girls and a man at the piano beating on it while men drank and then got into fights.

That was an exciting thought as she glanced back at Luke and then to the Sheriff with the two brothers. She wondered if it was about the recent robberies that were on some of the farms.

"No. Not our blood but he's our real brother," Luke corrected, defensive because he knew how Jesse sometimes... that he didn't always seem to belong. He wanted to ask if she hadn't noticed the blond hair but opted not to. Jesse was different from them, in appearance at least but he was pretty similar to Ben in personality. Especially his temper. Ben just handled his anger differently, better even.

"That's uh..." Luke's cheeks flushed pink, "That's the saloon. Best you not go in there. Town folk don't much like it but there are ... anyway. Since you're the school teacher, it's not a place for you."

He didn't know how to explain that only the 'bad' people visited the saloon. He didn't much understand it himself so it wasn't exactly something he could explain. He'd gone in once, when they were getting supplies and the others were busy. He would never forget the pretty ladies, and their fancy dresses.

"I don't supposed that I would go in there..." She said with a laugh but she was a little curious. However, Luke had a point that she was the school teacher and would have to be complete respectable. And sometimes, that was not fun at all. Never the less, she looked away from it and said. "So, are you leaving the best place for last?" She asked. "I kind of want to see the sweet shop that you are always raving about." She said thinking that she wanted to see it... she had found a little money at the bottom of a saddle bag and would use that for a bit of a treat for herself.

As for Jesse, she had not noticed that he looked different. She only could assume that one looked more like their father or mother over the others. How was she suppose to know?

Luke rubbed his hands together, "More than happy to show you, ma'am!"

He bounced off the boardwalk, practically jogging his way across to the sweet shop. He whirled around, grinning at her, "Come on!"

And because he was jogging backwards he didn't notice Ben leave the board walk and come up behind him. Just when he turned to walk forward again, he slammed head first into Ben's chest.

Ben pressed his hand to his little brother's forehead, pushing the younger one back. "Hey. Manners," He warned. They were in town. This wasn't the place for fooling around.

Luke reached up to try and swat Ben's hand away, but Ben wouldn't budge. "Ben! Ms. Williams would like to see the sweet shop!"

"I'll take her," Eric came off the board walk swiftly, grinning as he neared, "If you don't mind, Ms. Williams?"

She was laughing a little as she pointed and was able to say to Luke to watch out. She could not really run because she was wearing a dress and it was not exactly easy to do so like it was in jeans or running pants. She was on the road as well, the dust on the bottom of her dress but she had not problem with that as she nodded. "Well, Luke does tend to talk about it as if it is an oasis in the desert." She chuckled but as she finished, it was the Sheriff who was offering to take her to the sweet shop. Well, it was not as if she could be rude. Looking at Ben, her eyes went wide as she wondered if he was going to speak up and say something.

"Well... uh..." She hesitated with a polite smile.

What should she say?

"You are not too busy to do so?" She asked sounding a little more sure of herself.

Ben would have offered to take her, but Eric was quicker. He frowned, unsure what to do. Luke sighed, "Ben."

Ben dropped his hand, letting his little brother go.

"We've got our supplies," Ben said, finding his tongue, "I have a few things to pick up. It's on my way... Eric, didn't you say you had work to do."

Eric sighed, "That's right, but what man can pass up the opportunity to spend time with a pretty lady. Well, if Ben is heading that way you may as well go with him. We'll have plenty of time to get acquainted later."

That worked? Ben rested his hands against his belt. The words had just blurted out, and it wasn't untrue. He did have a few things he needed to pick up at the shop. Some new clothes for one. He'd torn most of his.

She looked at Ben for a moment and smiled thinking that it was about damn time that he said something. Hell, she couldn't do all the work for him. Well, she could not that was another story as she smiled and said, "Yes, well... of course but you ought not let me take you away from your duties." She said the the Sheriff with a little smile. "Another time." She was being polite naturally as she turned to look at Ben with a warmer smile. Yes, Eric was very handsome... well, if she was honestly. He was drop dead gorgeous but so was Ben.

"Shall we?" She asked as she took a few steps towards Ben so that she could walk along side him. And Luke as well.

She didn't think it was just a sweet shop and that was something that made her happy. It had a lot of interesting things.

Ben stayed at her side, grabbing a few things as he led her around. Luke prattled on about the best candy, and bought yet another bag before heading out to chow down. Ben would give him grief if he ate it in front of them. He waved as he headed out.

Ben toyed with a pretty pink dress on one of the counters. He glanced at Ms. Williams. He had the urge to buy it for her but didn't quite know how to suggest such a thing now that she had her saddlebags and own clothes back. Her clothes all fit a bit big... but it would still be rude to presume she needed new ones.

"If you'd like anything," he said finally, but he trailed off.

"What..." he trailed off again. It was as if his brain seized up when he tried to speak to her.

He tried one last time.

"What do you think? Of our town?" Success!

She had to wonder if he was nervous as she was looking around the shop wondering if she ought to buy something pretty for herself. No, she had to save her money and the clothing and things from Ms. Matthews would do her well. She did wonder who this woman was and what had happened to her. Well, she saw a little sewing kits and picked it up thinking that she needed this so that she could get herself something. After all, she was going to be tailoring some of her clothing and if she got a pattern and some nice fabric. Well, she could make a pretty dress. Something that she didn't really do because she was incredibly busy but not really... the internet was the only reason that she was so 'busy'.

"Hmmm?" Kate said as she glanced at Ben for a moment with a smile as she looked at the dress that he was close to. "Oh... isn't that gorgeous..." She said offhandedly. "I hope I can make a dress that nice." She laughed as she thought for a moment and said, "The town is really lovely. It's so quaint... I like it a lot." Kate mentioned to him. "I look forward to teaching and becoming apart of the community."

And it was the truth. Kate was glad to have been found by good people.

He waited for her to look away before tucking the dress in with the clothes he'd grabbed for himself.

"That's good," He said.

"We'll be leaving soon... I'd like a look at the school house, if that's all right you?" He moved to the counter.

Mrs. Rite sat behind the counter knitting. She smiled as he approached, "Hello Mr. Wilson. Who's this with you?"

"Ms. Kate Williams," Ben said, "the new school teacher."

"Hello Kate, I'm Mary Rite." Mrs. Rite got to her feet, setting her knitting aside so she could hold out her hand, "Pleasure to meet you dear. It will be nice to have some more ladies around."

She said the word 'ladies' in a weird, pointed way. As if it should mean something.

Ben knew she was referring to the women who worked at the saloon but that was not a conversation he cared to have now or ever. Just the thought of explaining what went on over there to Ms. Williams made his ears turn red.

Taking the other woman's hand, she smiled and said. "It is nice to meet you as well, Mrs. Rite." She had remembered Luke saying earlier that the Mayor's wife ran the little shop as she smiled but she did take note of the mention of ladies. Hell, there was a part of her that wanted to say that she ought not to slut shame the prostitutes because they were probably doing that work because they had to... not because they wanted to. It was rough for a woman without a husband and she didn't even know. Kate was lucky to have met the Wilson brothers and the kindness that she received.

Because, if she had time traveled another place... well, she might not have been so lucky.

She was going to be paying first for her little sewing knit that she had picked up for herself. "And... uh... can I get this and this." She mentioned as she got a few pieces of rock candy on a stick and the different flavour candy sticks as a treat. "That is all for me." She said with a smile as she gave over a few coins that came to about 67 cents which was about 11.18 for her own time... of course, Kate didn't know the different.

Ben stopped her, "I'll pay," he said. Mrs. Rite gave him a curious look. He coughed, "I uh... as a thanks."

He looked at Kate, "Please."

And with every passing second he felt more and more awkward because Mrs. Rite had refused Kate's coin but now was going through his items and of course the dress was super obvious. Luke chose that moment to pop his head into the shop, "Ms. Williams! The Pastor's wife would like to meet you, she um... well, she's refusing to come in."

The Pastor's wife was not particularly fond of Mrs. Rite. The two had had a rivalry going for ages.

Kate was giving him an odd look as she said, "Oh... you don't have to..." She started as she looked around to Luke who was saying that the Pastor's wife wanted to meet her and she was distracted. "Oh?" She asked with a raised eyebrow wondering what that was all about. "Well, if you insist Mr. Wilson... thank you." She said as she turned and said, "It was so nice to meet you, Mrs. Rite..." She smiled before going towards the door to see where the Pastor's wife was?

She thought that it was so strange that the Pastor's wife would not come in... it's not like this was the saloon.

Leaving the shop that was named. "The Rite Way." She looked around and noticed another women who looked to be in her mid thirties. "Hello, you must be the Pastor's wife." She said as the older woman smiled. "Please forgive me... it's just that Mrs. Rite does not like it when I am in her shop."

Luke sucked on a peppermint stick while he watched the two. He had the look of a very amused onlooker, almost as if he expected them to start fighting at any second.

Ben quickly paid, waited for his purchases to be wrapped, asked for the dress to be wrapped separately and emerged with three packages. Two for Ms. Williams, one for himself. he stopped just outside the shop, reaching up to tip his hat at the Pastor's wife, "Ma'am."

And he was even quieter with these women than he was with Ms. Williams so he became like a shadow, hovering behind Kate's shoulder.

"Mrs. Rite doesn't believe in God," Luke said cheerfully.

"Luke," Ben growled a warning.

Luke shrugged.

The Pastor's wife pursed her lips together. "Yes... well, young Mr. Wilson would not be incorrect. There are some people in this town that are good god-fearing people." Kate was smiling uncomfortably since she had no real opinion on religion. "Well, I suppose everyone has different belief systems and we ought to try to get along." She said to the Pastor's wife. Mrs. Davis as she had introduced her before Ben has left the building.

"I hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you in church this Sunday... as for you two?" She said almost in a voice that said that she was guilt tripping all of those before her. "It was so nice to meet another good Christian woman in this town... not many of us." She said pointedly as Kate nodded thinking that how she was talking was a bit off but she could not pinpoint exactly was the case.

Once she had gone on her way, Kate spoke. "A bit weird that?" She looked to Ben for a moment. "And you... trying to buy me things..." She teased before saying, "Thank you... did you want to come see the school house?"

Back
Top Bottom