Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

'Oh, hell..' That was her first thought when his hand went under her chin and then he kissed her. It was certainly unexpected and had surprised her as her eyes closed and she was kissing him back. Her mind was blank as she focused on the kiss. Her arms going up to his shoulders as she tried to lean a little forward into him. She wondered for a moment of it was to get her to shut up. She did tend to ramble...

Not that Kate minded at this moment, it was not like the kiss was unwelcome but she was the first to pull away slowly after a few moments. "Oh... that was nice." She said in a low voice as if she could not straighten her mind. She felt shy but then, she wanted to kiss him again. 'Ah, fuck it.' She thought to herself as she reached to his collar and pulled him down for another kiss that evening.

Damn, she liked kissing and she was not going to feel ashamed of that fact.

One hand slid around her waist as the other moved to slide up her cheek. Ben hadn't been sure what reaction he'd get when he kissed her but as far as he saw it she'd practically asked him to... he thought anyway. It was so hard to tell with her. But this... this was a language he could speak. Mostly. He had some experience kissing women. During his time in the war, upon discovering Ben had never been with a woman his fellow soldiers had encouraged him to hire one of the saloon ladies.

He had tried. And he'd got himself much practice in the fine art of kissing but in the end he hadn't gone any farther, it just didn't feel right to him.

The lady had been kind, and she hadn't outed him to the others. After that they figured he was 'experienced' and had left him be.

Now, as he returned Ms. Williams kisses, he was glad for that experience. Without it he'd probably be just as useless at this as he was at talking.

He pulled away not because he wanted to, but because he was starting to get a bit too worked up and he knew he had to maintain control. This was hardly the time or place to push for more. Ms. Williams was strange and she was returning his kisses, but she wasn't a saloon lady and she deserved more respect than... well... more than this.

Then he pulled away for the second thing, Kate made a little whimper noise since she was not too happy with it for the moment but she supposed that it was time to perhaps stop for the evening. Looking up at him, she was still in his arms. "I suppose that we should go to bed..." She said meaning separately but hell, she was no prude... She would probably. No, she had to restrain herself from anything more. Blushing, Kate corrected herself. "I mean separately..." She whispered as she pursed her lips together.

What should she say? Were they an item now? It's not like they could date. Well, maybe it would be like Little House on the Prairie... Well, the later one... These Happy Golden Years. That was her favourite when Manly married Laura... It had been the first romance that she had been introduced to as a girl.

Life wasn't like the books... "Umm... you are very good at... that. Kissing." She was so ridiculous! "I need to go to sleep..." She was talking and she couldn't stop. "Did you kiss me to get me to be quiet?" She asked curiously needing to know.

Ben slid his fingers along her temple, then over her hair. It was softer than he expected. And then she was talking... again. And something about the kiss had greatly relieved his stress. He found himself smiling after her last question. He finally, reluctantly, released her from his hold, grasped her hand, tucked it into the crook of his elbow and led her to the stairs.

"I'm not very good at talking," he said by way of explanation, "I thought... this might be a better way to communicate how I was feeling."

And he hoped she didn't think he wasn't a gentleman? Would a comment like that make her feel like he expected more? Crap. Shit. He really had no idea what he was doing. He hadn't been the least bit interested in wooing a woman before. Especially not one he'd only just met.

At the top of the stairs he stopped outside her door, and because she hadn't protested, he bent down for one last kiss. Partly because he really liked kissing her, partly because he couldn't help himself...

"And I am a little too good at talking." She said with a smile because she knew that she talked too much. "I just talk when I'm nervous and you make me a little antsy." She mentioned as they were going up the stairs slowly. What was she doing? Going back in time and making out with random Cowboys. She was fierce but also, she perhaps needed to tone it down? It was so damn hot and she was a woman with needs.

She needed to control her damn self... And she would. Maybe not in the future but she was not going to pull him into the room that she was sleeping in. Mostly because, it was not her room and that would be weird.

And then, when they were outside of her door... Well, he was speaking the language that he seemed to like to speak. And, Kate kissed him back but after a few moments... She pulled away. "I want to kiss you all night but I must get to sleep." She whispered as she leaned up and gave him a peck on the lips.

At least, she had not slipped him the tongue.

Pulling away, she whispered. "Good Night, Ben." Using his first name for the first time as she closed the door and leaned against it for a moment. She could not believe what she had done!

Once the door closed Ben sighed, shoulders slumping, hand running through his hair. Well... that had certainly made it clear what his intentions were... he hoped. Maybe? Jesse had suggested talking but honestly kissing was just easier. At least when they were kissing he could understand her.

He still had no idea what he was doing, how he could like her this much, but maybe it didn't matter. Maybe it was time he gave up control and just let himself feel for a bit. And feeling her hadn't been all that bad.

He smiled to himself as he continued down the hall to his room.

It was probably best that they were taking her to town tomorrow. He wasn't sure he could be a gentleman with her living under his roof. Not for long, anyway.

She was feeling a little guilty as she sat on her bed and was looking at the door. God, that had been a good kiss but maybe it would be good to go to the village tomorrow because last night she had kissed him on the cheek and that night. They had kissed... At this rate, she would be pregnant by the end of the week and that was something that she was not going to deal with. After all, she would need to go and be a teacher... She supposed and then she would continue with that until she figured out how to get back? Was it because she fell over the trench? Was that what she needed to do?

She would sleep on it and think about it more in the morning.

-

Susan was thinking of calling off her arrangement with Noah. She liked him but she was feeling guilty because she knew what they were doing was wrong. If anyone found out then she would be in trouble. He would be too but he did not have the risk of being fired from his job. He was family... Susan was not.

Perhaps, another few nights of sin and then... She would call it off.

"Noah..." Luke whispered in the night as he heard his brother climbing through the window.

"Shh..." Noah replied before he slipped out.

Luke sighed, knowing that Noah was going to visit the maid. He wouldn't turn his brother in but he had a bad feeling about the whole thing. It just didn't seem right.

In the morning Jesse and Luke prepared the horses while Ben and Noah waited for Ms. Williams in the dining room. They'd feed her before taking her out. They were up before her, if only because they were so accustomed to waking at the very crack of dawn.

"It's only been two days," Noah said to Ben as they waited, "but it sure feels like it's going to be weird without her. Almost like maybe this house needs a woman around."

Ben sat with his arms on his knees, hat in his hands between his legs, and hunched forward. He hadn't slept much. He was still confused about the whole Ms. Williams thing and had spent the night torn between wanting to go to her room and knowing he couldn't. He was completely out of his area of comfort with this but he wanted to do right by her.

The next morning felt a little rough to her as she was getting herself out of the bed. She was going to town to start her new life as a teacher... She had read in Ms. Matthews journal that she was to meet both the Pastor of the Parish and the Mayor of the Village and they were to set her up at a school house or something? She was nervous because here at the ranch... Kate had everything... Maids, clean water and she could probably get some new clothes. However, the unknown school house would not have those things.

Susan's clothing from the day before was folded up on the bed as she dressed in one of the new clothing from Ms. Matthew. Who was this woman and what had happened to her? Was she lost somewhere in the Prairie because her horse ran away on her?

Before dressing, she had used the water, cloth and towel to give herself a cleaning. It feel odd but at least she was clean for now. It took her a little long to get dressed since she was still not use to the corset and undergarments for the time.

It was about 9 in the morning when she left the room with one of the saddle bags. She had put it on her shoulder so that she could carry it like a pack mule down the stairs. It was heavy as she went down the stairs and at the bottom as soon as she was on the main level floor, she dipped down to drop it with a thud.

She was breathing hard as she saw Noah and Ben... Well, she doubted that he was going to talk about the night before and she sure as hell wasn't at that moment. "You were right, that bag IS heavy... Good lord.."

Noah jumped to his feet and rushed over, "Yikes! You should have asked, we would have grabbed it."

Ben stood, but hesitated to approach. He could feel his cheeks flushing as he looked at her. If Noah hadn't been right there, well... he shouldn't think those things. "We'll take those from here," he said.

Noah hefted the saddlebag up and because she'd carried it alone he had to do the same. His face pinked as he hefted it to the door and a moment later Ben and Kate were alone.

Ben wanted to ask her to stay, but he knew he couldn't.

/Two days./

But it didn't matter. His mother had known after one word, why couldn't he know after two days?

"When school starts... Luke will come," He said, it seemed the safest topic. "And if you start your adult classes, we'll come."

She had mentioned teaching him to read and they hadn't started yet but it would be an excuse later to seek her out, he supposed.

She was standing there as she noticed that they were alone again. "Will you come to visit? I can still teach your learning?" She offered knowing that it could be considered a bit inappropriate. "I know that you are bad at talking and that is alright. I just want you to know that I will be happy to help." She said softly wanting to kiss him again. "Oh... and I had a dream about you last night." She was terrible sometimes but it was fun to make him blush and get flustered.

Hell, maybe he would kiss her again. "It was a nice dream... But, I suppose that we ought to get the last saddlebag from upstairs?" She mentioned as she smiled.

It was at that time when Susan came in and said, "Ms. Williams... I have a few containers for you. I was told to pack you some food to help with your new start." She said looking to Ben as Kate nodded and said that she would be there in a moment. "Was that your idea?" She asked. "Thank you... It is very sweet."

Ben felt very warm. He nodded, and headed up the stairs, slipping his hat on as he went. As usual, she was tying his tongue into knots. He grabbed the saddlebag, lifting it easily and carrying it back down the stairs.

"They'll be ready," he said when he saw her again.

He led the way out of the house. Five horses were saddled and waiting to go. Luke and Jesse were already mounted but Noah was securing one of the saddlebags to one of the three free horses. He looked up as Ben approached.

"And of course you make it look easy," He grumbled.

Ben didn't comment as he hefted the saddlebag onto another mare and tied it down. Really the two had been far too heavy for any horse. But he wasn't annoyed with Ms. Williams, he got the impression she wasn't all that used to animals.

Once the saddlebag was secured he held out his hand to her, "I"ll help you up."

She had a small bag of food that she had gotten from Susan along with her own small bag. Her normal clothes had been stuffed in one of the saddle bags, clean and fresh thanks to the help. Walking out, she went down the porch and towards the men who had the horses ready for their journey to the town. Looking back for a moment, she wondered when she would return to the Yearning Steer. There was a drop in her heart as she was thinking about it but then, she was also afraid...

Fear of the unknown.

Going towards Ben, she wondered what it would be like if he had asked her to marry him. Would she have said yes? Probably not... she only just met the guy and here she's thinking of marriage. "Thank you." She said as she would have a hard time being that she was short, and wearing a dress. With her one foot in the stir up and her other in his hand... she did get a leg up as she settled. She was not going to be riding side saddle.

Ben rode to her right, Jesse to her left. Luke and Noah rode on ahead at a faster pace. The ride into town was two hours on a good day, three if they had to stop for rests. It was a long, uneventful sort of ride with nothing but fields and trees to break up the monotony.

Unfortunately Ben and Jesse were the two quietest of the Wilson boys so they weren't much in the way of conversation.

Thankfully, an hour into the ride another rider, further up ahead, came out of a ranch - the Yearning Steer's nearest neighbor. Noah and Luke called out and the rider came to a stop. He wore the stereotypical gear of a sheriff, made so famous by westerns in the future, complete with a black hat, badge shining on his jacket and shiny spurs.

As they closed in on him, his striking features, gorgeous blue eyes - intense in the shadows cast by his hat, and lithe form became more obvious. He rested easy in the saddle, hands resting lightly on the saddle horn, reins looped lazily in two fingers.

"Noah, Luke, Jess, Ben ... and?" He looked at Kate curiously.

"Ms. Kate Williams," Ben said, "the school teacher."

"Ah, I had heard about you," the sheriff grinned, "Ms. Williams, pleasure. I'd shake your hand but we're at a bit of a disadvantage."

His eyes wandered to the bits of her lower calves that were visible because of her position on the saddle.

The ride was a little uneventful and long... really long in her opinion. They had said that it was a two hour ride to town from their ranch... and that was a good 25 miles from town... and that was a good distance. Most of it was quiet since Ben almost never spoke and well, Jesse... he would mumble sometimes but not on this ride. She could heard the two noisest of the brothers talking or arguing a bit ahead of her. It was about a good hour after they left when they passed another farm. She supposed that they needed a lot of land for ranching out here.

As the man on the horse approached, she could see a glint of something on his chest... it seemed like this was the Sheriff...

Were guys just hotter back then? Or back now? This was in her thoughts as she smiled at the Sheriff. "The pleasure is all mine... I did not get your name." She asked curiously as hazel eyes looked to Ben as if for an introduction or something.

She was curious about the other people that she was going to meet in the town... And how many children would come all the way to town for an education?

"Sheriff Eric Brennan," the Sheriff smiled, "it's a pleasure to meet you. We've been needing a teacher a long while, but until now nobody was willing to come out this way. Bit remote, as you can see. If you'd like, Ben, I can take her the rest of the way. No need for you and your brothers to go out of your way."

"No," Ben said, "Luke is eager for sweets and we have some supplies to get."

"I see."

Eric Brennan guided his horse to take Jesse's place at Kate's side. Jesse, obliging, moved to join his brothers up ahead as they continued on their journey.

The Wilson boys were well acquainted with Eric but that was bound to happen in an area like this. They'd all grown up together. Eric and Ben were the same age and had been best friends as children.

Eric eyed Kate, taking in her cute nose and very nicely shaped legs. He continued smiling - the polar opposite of Ben. In every way it seemed, as he had no trouble talking to her.

"So, Ms. Williams, tell me about yourself. You come from the city. You ride... well, like a farm girl, so I'm guessing you haven't always lived in the city. You're young, beautiful, but you're out here which is strange to me. Clearly you're single, and if you're out here you're not too concerned with changing that. After all, not like there are many eligible bachelors in these parts. Except Ben, myself, and Jeff Cleary but you probably want to steer clear of him. That man snores like the devil."

Being use to the quiet ride, it was a bit refreshing to have a new face and someone who wanted to talk to her. She was going to stick with her story of being a widow who came from the East after her husband died. "My... you are quite the talker..." She grinned as she looked ahead and said, "Well, I suppose that you ought to call me Mrs. Williams. I'm a widow, you see... from Virginia." She explained. "And after the war, I decided that it was time to move on and go back to teaching." She mentioned this. "I was a teacher before I got married." She felt a little nervous but the story wasn't a complete lie.

"I saw that there was hopes for teachers in the West and I wanted a new adventure in my life." She smiled as she said this to the newcomer. "Are you from this area as then?" She asked with a curious look as her head turned slightly towards the Sheriff.

She could appreciate a handsome man but she did not look at him for too long, her eyes watching the horizon on where they were heading.

"I am sorry for your loss," Eric murmured when she mentioned she was a widow but he didn't look sorry. In fact, he looked pleased. Ben looked away, a surge of unfamiliar jealousy rushing through him. Was Eric interested in Ms. Williams?

"I am from this area. Born and raised," Eric said easily, "In fact, Ben and I grew up together. Before he ran off to join the war, and my that was a surprise. As I'm sure you've realized, he's not what you might call... vocal."

He chuckled, "I heard you were hurt on your way to town. I was meaning to come see you but we've had a bit of trouble around here lately and I was, sadly, distracted by that. You're feeling better, I presume?"

"Thank you." Kate said as they continued to ride. She was not looking at Eric when he looked pleased that she was a Widow. She certainly had only met this guy and he was handsome. "Oh, so the two of you must be friends?" She asked with a smile before thinking about Ben and him being in the war. Oh... well, perhaps that explained why he did not like to hunt or kill animals. Perhaps, he had seen too much and had killed in the past. Well, that certainly explained it. "Well, I don't think you need to be a man of many words to hold a gun." She said softly before glancing at Ben. There was a feeling of empathy for him... rather than sympathy. No one liked to have others feel sorry for them.

"Yes, I got a bit of a bump on my head when my horse bucked me off and I fell into a trench on B-Mr.Wilson's property." She corrected herself almost calling him by his first name. "Mr. Wilson and his brothers have been nothing but gracious and welcoming to me when I was not feeling quite myself." She explained. "Now, I am fit to start preparing for the coming school year."

Ben glanced over at her. The thing was ... Eric, in ways, seemed comfortable with her. He wasn't struggling to find words, or stumbling over himself. He didn't look confused or frustrated or lost. In every way, he was a better match for Ms. Kate Williams. Damn. It shouldn't bother him so much. It shouldn't matter. Show would like whomever she liked and whatever decision she made he would respect.

"But what an unfortunate accident," Eric said, his head shaking from side to side, "Of course the Wilson's were welcoming. They're a good family, real good... but... you know, I do have a bit of a question. It seems to me you would have been coming from the south. How on earth did you end up in the Wilson's yard? That's quite a ways out if you were starting from the south heading for town. Did you get lost?"

She looked a little sheepish. "Well, you see... my horse is a bit stubborn and I am not really use to travelling long distances..." She said softly. "I got a little lost along the way." Obviously, when she said a little lost then she meant a lot lost. "And then, I suppose I saw a farm house for the first time in a long time and I kind of got a little excited... and the horse did as well and bucked me off... and then went running away." She explained. "I don't really remember too much..." She was hoping that they would not make her explain in more detail.

"Mr. Wilson and his brothers did find my horse... and were so generous to exchange it for this mount." She smiled looking at Ben for a moment.

"Well, mighty happy coincidence that it was the Yearning Steer that you stumbled upon. Couldn't have a more comfortable place to rest," Eric said. He also looked to Ben with a grin before refocusing on Kate.

"From what I understand we've got a place all set up for you in town. Now, after being out Ben's way, you're probably think this place is about as remote as you can be but I promise you our little town has all the bells and whistles. You'll feel right at home," Eric reached out, his hand gently patting the neck of her ride.

He wasn't surprised to hear the Wilson's had given her a new ride. Ben was nothing if not careful with life, animal or human. It was just his way.

"I think that I will be quite comfortable..." She said with a smile. "I mean, it only seems remote because the Prairie seems to expand for miles and miles and well... it does." Kate laughed as she watched Eric pat her horse's neck a few times. He seemed really friendly and talkative. Honestly, Kate liked him... he was easy to talk to and the flirting was kind of nice too... Well, she was not trying to flirt but... well, she was a little. "I have only met a few people but if the others of the village are as nice as the two of you have been then I am surely lucky to have been sent out here.

She smiled at Eric before glancing over to Ben. He was being quiet as always and well, hard to read.

"What is your favourite part of Pawnee?" She asked as she was talking about the closest town.

Eric smiled, "Not many folk as friendly as we are."

He was teasing, and he winked to show it. In general the folk in this country were fairly friendly. They had no reason not to be. There were a few exceptions but they really were few.

"Would you think badly if I said the saloon?" Eric asked, "Nothing better. Folk are real friendly there."

"Eric," Ben said, a warning edge to his tone despite the fact this man was the Sheriff.

"I'm joking! Just joking!" Eric laughed, "Sorry, Ms. Williams, I tend to forget my manners around pretty ladies."

She did not think that the saloon was such a horrible thing to say. "Well, I suppose that people need to go to a place to relax..." She said not realizing that there were saloon girls there too. However, she was not so much of a prude to think that a brothel meant the town was going to hell in a handbasket. "I don't think there are other places to get a drink." Was liquor illegal back then? She was sure that it was in some areas but others... well...

"Certainly, I am jesting as well." She said with a small smile. Really... she wasn't because she didn't really care. "Do you know what they have set up for me in town?" She asked wondering if there was a school or something like that to live in?

Back
Top Bottom