Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

That was a damn good question as she was looking a bit sheepish. "Oh... you know... this and that..." She said softly as she wondered what made the saddlebags so heavy. Kate was feeling for the pony that had lugged that around. "Is Buttercup alright despite the heavy saddlebags?" She said quietly with a look of concern. Whoever's horse that was... she hoped that they had not been cruel to it. She was never cruel to animals and the thought hurt a little.

"I hope my things don't take too long..." She mentioned as she held up the little leather bag that she had used as a small first aid kit. "Oh, this bag... we found it in the trench... it was on my wrist." She said with a shrug. "Must of fell off when I fell in there." She sighed. "Suppose that I ought to look through my bags... I won't unpack thought." She didn't want to get too cozy.

"She should be fine," Ben headed over to run his hand down 'Buttercup's' neck, "Bit of rest and she'll be back to her onery self."

He smiled as he touched the animal. Animals he understood. They were easy, comfortable. Buttercup tried to chew on the back of his pants and he gently pushed her away.

"Was she yours before? Or did you buy her for the journey?" He asked.

He doubted a school teacher could afford to buy a horse specifically for a journey like this but for all he knew the town had paid for her travel accommodations, including a horse.

Loading the horse up with bags like that he had to presume she wasn't used to horses... or long rides.

She pushed her lips together and said, "Well... I bought her for the journey with a bit of the money that my husband left behind." She said sticking with the story that she was a widow of the war. She had not mentioned that before to him but only to Luke, yesterday. "After I accepted the position, naturally..." She mentioned as she pushed some of her hair from her face. It was up in a bun with some wispy pieces framing her face with her hair parted on the side. "We lived in a small town but did not really have a horse or carriage like some people... I had to sell a lot to get here." She mentioned as she knew that she was lying... but did he know?

"I did not realize that I was so harsh on her... Most of the way was by rail but you know how the train does not go over the Mississippi. So, I bought her and then took the Ferry with her... packed everything in the saddle backs that I could... sold more things." She explained with a lift of her shoulders. It was as if she was believing her own tale that she was making up... but it felt like it was the truth.

"Oh..." He hadn't known she had a husband, but it would explain why a woman like her was coming out here alone. This place didn't have much to offer but if she was a widow she'd have to do what she could to get by. Even take a job in a remote place like this.

He almost felt bad for asking, even though he knew it had been an innocent enough question.

"We should head inside," her cheeks looked a bit pink. He suspected the heat of the mid-afternoon sun was getting to her.

Inside the house Jesse and Noah had the saddlebags up the stairs and with one final heave they tossed the blasted things into Luke's room. Once finished they shared a look.

"Women," Noah murmured.

Jesse snorted, "Agreed."

It was a good cover for the war but it made her feel horrible that she had to lie to these good people who had been so kind to her. "Sorry, I talk too much..." She said honestly as she brushed some of her brown hair away and nodded. "It is awfully warm... did you want to start this evening on reading since I am doing much better." She mentioned to him with a smile before turning a little so start walking towards the house. "We do not need to if you do not want to." She said to him as they walked over the grass and to the steps of the front porch. She noticed that although he was not much of a talker, Mr. Wilson seemed to show the emotion on his face sometimes.

"Also, don't feel bad for asking about the horse... I suppose I need to be like you and become quiet and listen."

---

Susan was cleaning the upstairs... well, not much since the boys did not like the maids cleaning the rooms. However, she and Mary would make the bed and do a bit of dusting sometimes... some of the rooms were disasters and others were neat as she was finishing up and opening the windows to air out the upstairs with a cross breeze as she moved out of the way for Noah and Jesse bringing up the saddle bags before she was going down the stairs in a flurry of skirts so that she would be quiet. After all, she had been too involved yesterday and she wanted to get back to being a quiet mouse cleaning.

She talked... a lot. Sometimes he had trouble keeping up. But he didn't mind it. He couldn't imagine them both sitting in silence would be much better.

"We can start," he said as he followed along beside her. She was moving a bit stiffly, he presumed it was because she was still tired. But it was strange, almost as if she wasn't comfortable in those skirts.

"Don't become like me," he said as he moved ahead of her to open the door and hold it open for her to pass through.

Noah and Jesse both noticed Susan and both tried to pretend they hadn't. Noah would have liked to chase after her, to tease her some more... he was still flying high from last night but he knew with Jesse there and Ben coming in through the back door it was just too dangerous.

It would have to wait.

The brothers jogged down the steps one after the other.

Jesse inclined his hat to Ms. Williams, "Afternoon ma'am."

Noah just waved a hand as they both retreated out the front. There was still work to do and they were eager to get a closer look at Buttercup to see why she might have thrown her ride... and how with those saddlebags!

When he said that she shouldn't be like him, Kate glanced at him for a moment and nodded. "Well, that is reassuring." And she meant that, her boot stepping up the stairs of the porch and not holding the railing as she did so. The skirts always seemed to get in the way of things when she walked. The last time she wore a skirt this long was when she was in a bohemian phase in her life and that was in college. This however was not a good look for her... In her opinion. Even if she was fitting in with the standard clothing of the time.

"Thank you, Mr. Wilson." She said but she had not gotten her answer about starting their lessons tonight. Perhaps, he was too tired or he only had said yes to be polite. They were on the landing as she feel strangely nervous in front of him. "I know I say it a lot... However, I don't know where I would be if I was found on someone else's ranch. I'm quite lucky that my injury is not so terrible."

There was another pause as Jesse and Noah went pass them and Jesse tipped his hat to her. She smiled and thanked him. He was another good looking man... Probably in his early twenties... Well, if she was honest... They all looked like they were out of an old cigarette commercial or a Western theme historical piece with hotter guys.

Kate was sitting blushing about that thought as she looked up at Ben. "I think I need to look through the saddle bags and see if anything got stolen.

Ben nodded, "Do you need any help?" He asked.

If they were really that heavy she'd probably need someone to help her pull them around... actually, he was just thinking of excuses to spend some more time with her. He wasn't completely sure why he felt drawn to her, but he did. And the more time he spent with her, the more time he /wanted/ to spend with her.

This could get complicated. He'd only really taken interest in one other woman before and she'd chosen another man. He'd long ago learned his quiet ways didn't necessarily appeal to women, but he'd never really gotten to know a woman well enough to overcome his shyness.

It was strange to think of himself as shy but he was, with women at least. He'd never known women, besides his mother and he wasn't sure that counted.

During his brief stint in the war his fellow soldiers had tried to convince him to hire one of the saloon women but in the end even that evaded him.

Glancing up at him, Kate raised an eyebrow because she did not think it was really the best idea to have him there going through the saddle bags if there was a bunch of men's clothing there. "Ummmm..." She looked concerned. "I supposed that you could help if you want to?" She asked him with a smile trying to act like it was no big deal.

"I am going to go an look through them in Luke's room." She wanted to get up there first to take a quick look at the saddle bags and hope that something would explain why she was there. Actually, she found it so odd that a horse was found... Wouldn't it be convenient and everything in the saddle bags simply made sense for that moment.

She was liked Mr. Wilson... He was good looking but she was not so sure about the quietness. Kate supposed that he only said what he had to. "I think I will need help bringing them into town along with Buttercup..." She could ride a horse and was good at it... It was lucky that she got this horse. "If it is not too much trouble." She said quietly to the handsome cowboy.

"When you're ready to go to town, we will help," Ben said firmly. But she wasn't ready yet. The doc had said two or three days, not one. It was strange but Ben planned to keep her right up until he had no choice but to send her on.

Once she was in town he wouldn't see her as often. Especially now when it was so busy. When winter hit they wouldn't have quite as much to do and maybe he could think up excuses to ride in more than once a week but... what the hell? He was planning visits? Trying to figure out how to see more of her? Already?

He did catch on to her reluctance and thought maybe she just didn't want him seeing her underthings. Maybe they were 'pretty', whatever that meant. He had no experience with women's under things. As far as he knew they wore saddles under those dresses.

"Why don't you head up and I'll join you in a bit?" He suggested, "I have a few things to do down here."

Lies... but he was good at lying.

She was imaging that there was a pair of men's red long underwear in those bags like in the movies and she did not want to have to explain anything like that. “Thank you, Mr. Wilson.” She said softly as she put her hand on his shoulder for a moment. Whatever it was, she liked this man. Of course, she was not in love. That would be crazy but they had been kind to her when she was in trouble and that was something that she appreciated. “You have been so kind to me.” She said as she moved away from him and started up the steps to go look in the saddlebags before anyone was there to see what was in them.

Apparently, they were heavy... that made her curious as she was going up the stairs a little quickly, her boots making a tapping sound as she made the landing. She went towards Luke's room... it was hot upstairs but she wanted to know what was in those bags... and why everything was seemingly to fit into place. It was so strange... was she suppose to be in this time period? She wondered to herself as she entered the room and closed the room slightly.

They were on the made bed as she took a deep breath and went to the belt loop to undo it. Pulling it out, she stared and saw books. Well, that explained the weight as she was pulling them out. Readers and novels... at least that was what it seemed like as she flipped through a few of them... There was also some women's clothing... And undergarments. She was going to wear another women's undergarments... she supposed as long as they were clean then it was not so terrible. Who was this woman?

She found that out as she pulled a journal out of the second saddlebag... her name was Kate Matthews. “No way...” She said thinking that she could use this as a cover and say that her maiden name was Matthews and that was the reason that there was a difference. How lucky was she? Well, this didn't seem like it was a coincidence.

She was holding up some of the bloomers with a frown... there was lace and it was delicate... pretty even but the woman's few dresses were... well, there were a little frumpy in her opinion but perhaps, that was the style. Victorian era was much different. She preferred her bras and voting rights personally.

She wasn't alone long before there was a soft knock on the door, "Ms. Williams?"

Ben waited as long as he could before bothering her, "Do you need any help?"

God, he was being too... something. He should just leave her be. He had cows to tend to and he should probably figure out how to have a bath. With this drought they didn't bathe often, preferring quick pat downs instead but he really was starting to feel self conscious and like maybe a bath was in order.

"Have a good night?" Jesse asked quietly as he and Noah worked in the barn.

"What?" Noah barely glanced up.

"I know you went to the maids shack, Noah."

Noah stiffened, looking up warily, "Luke?"

"No. But unlike Ben I'm not an idiot. You need to be careful."

"Or what?"

"Or you're going to get caught and Luke and I might look the other but you know damn well Ben won't." Ben would have Noah's hide. Messing around with the help was very much a bad idea.

Noah snorted, "Let me worry about Ben."

Jesse shrugged, "Just trying to help little brother."

Mostly. In truth he was worried for Susan. He wasn't sure why she was letting Noah paw at her but he suspected she probably had real feelings for the stupid kid. And if that was true, those feelings would end up hurt because Noah was only interested in her for one thing... Jesse just hoped she realized that.

Holding up the bloomers, she balled them up and hid them under more clothing as she said. “Yes? Uh… Mr. Wilson?” Why did she want to say, ‘Oh Mr. Wilson…’ like in Dennis the Menace? Okay, she was not going to think about that. “You can come in if you want.” She said as she went to the door and opened it. “There really is just books and my clothing…” She said to him as the door was wide open but she was waiting for him to come in if he wanted to.

“However, if you want to get talk and keep me company… I don’t mind. Unless you are busy doing something else. I shouldn’t distract you.” She said looking a little apologetic. “Uh… I was wondering… is there a stream or something to bathe… Oh… maybe I should ask Susan or Mary.” She was bright red, what the hell was she saying.

Kate was talking too much as usual. “So… do you want to see my books?” She said changing the subject.

---

Susan knew that she was a practice girl for Noah… but she knew that she was starting to feel more for him than just a bit of fun. Perhaps, she ought to call him off. Then, he would sweet talk her and try to promise her something that would never come to fruition. Susan was a damn fool for doing what she was doing and if anyone found out… well, she might as well go and move in with Miss Sally right away because that would be the way of it. That would be what people would be saying about her if they ever found out and… she didn’t think that she could handle the whispers.

The ones about hr father dying and what a poor thing had been enough but the whispers of being a whore… well, she would simply move from this place.

"We don't have a lot of water, because of the drought, but we'll figure out a way to draw you a bath," Ben said when he had a chance to speak.

He could forgo his own bath for her, he didn't have a problem with that.

He didn't have a great interest in seeing her books but he nodded, it was an excuse to spend time with her.

"You're not missing anything?" He asked.

A drought... Now she felt like a douche. "Oh... OH! If there is a drought then I think I can do well with less water and a wash cloth." She said looking down at the book in her hands. "Don't worry about a bath." She said softly with a light laugh. "I will survive without one." Kate mentioned as she said, "I think that I do..." She hadn't found any money as she was going through the saddlebags. Had the horse been stolen and then abandoned. "Well... Actually..." She said, "I'm missed bank notes." She said softly looking down. "It's the last of my savings." She shrugged. "I suppose I can sell some of my books... No worries." She said with a smile trying to be chipper.

"I ought to get by for a little while..."

"No need for that, just let me know what you need," Ben said without hesitation.

He crouched down, pulling one of the books out and turning it over in his hands. It was ragged, well worn, obviously read many times. She really did have a thing for reading. For all he knew the book he was holding was a school book but he suspected that's not all that these were.

The way she talked, and behaved, he could tell reading was important.

It had been for his mother too.

"I've been thinkin... if you do start that adult class, I might make Jesse and Noah go this winter. They won't be too happy but it might be good for them to learn a few things. Our mother tried teaching them once, but there was always so much work and by the time the ranch was..." he stopped abruptly. By the time the ranch was settled enough that there was time to learn, she'd been gone.

"Well, they will be a great challenge... I suppose." She smirked as she thought about the younger brothers and how they both thought that learning was indeed... 'Useless.' She glanced at him. "Although, as a teacher... I like taking on challenges sometimes." She shrugged her shoulders a little as she thought about what he had said it didn't say about this mother. "No need to worry... I have to get the children settled with learning. I suspect that there will be some adults who think learning will be useless if they can have their kids on the farm or ranch working." She mentioned.

"Oh... You are holding The Prince..." She said as she pointed to the Machiavelli title. "That is an interesting political read." She mentioned. "I think a little too old for children... But there's some readers and the Bible." She mentioned with a lift of her shoulders.

She looked at him for a moment. "You are very kind to me... Be careful... I might think you have a crush on me, Mr. Wilson." She winked playful... Perhaps a little too playfully.

Ben wasn't sure how Noah and Jess would take to 'schooling' but once winter hit it would be easier to push them into it. They'd have no legitimate excuses to say no. If he had to, he'd go with them, to keep them in line. Her classes could go one of two ways, either people would come out of boredom, winter never had much entertainment, or they wouldn't go out thinking it was ridiculous.

He said none of this to her, simply nodded from his crouch on the floor and let her talk.

When she named the book in his hands he turned it over, studying it. Political read? What it speak of? He'd never heard of a 'political read' before. He only knew of poetry books and the odd stories his mother used to read to them.

"The Bible is good," He murmured. Most families around here would approve of that, no doubt.

Then she was winking and making a comment about a crush and by god, how did she know? He set the book down, stood and headed for the door.

"I should get back to work," he muttered, embarrassment making him sound a bit more curt than normal.

She knew that she had perhaps embarrassed him as she said, "Oh, I was just teasing you. I know that you are just being a good Christian." She said as she swallowed a little. "However, if you have things to do... I won't stop you." Kate mentioned knowing that she was going to have to try on these clothing and pray that it fit her. At least, she hoped they were her right or bigger. You could work with larger clothing and tailor them to your size but if they were too small. Well, that was going not going to be nice. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have teased you." She heard herself say to him. "I just kind of flirt sometimes when I think someone is handsome." She mentioned with a smile, she was confident enough to know that she flirted and admitted it.

"I suppose you do that when you meet pretty women?" She asked him. She knew that he was shy but then, she knew nothing about him.

"I guess you have to go back to work... And I have to continue with this." She mentioned with a grin. "I will see you at supper then?"

The way she spoke genuinely confused him. She was an odd mixture of a lady and not. He passed it off as her being from the city but the more she talked the more he wondered. He paused at the door, looking back at her apology and watching with his usual hard to read expression as she continued. The thing about him was, he spoke with his eyes. His brothers had learned how to read him, but not everyone could, and right now his eyes were screaming: Who /are/ you lady?

He nodded his head at her last question, "Yeah. See you tonight."

And with that he bolted. He needed to think, to sort out his very confused feelings.

He didn't like. He couldn't. He barely knew her.

And she was confusing and strange and... maybe he found that intriguing but this was foolishness. He'd never turned his head for a pretty face before, he had no idea why he was starting with this odd school teacher.

He was not answering her... was he upset? raging mad or happy? Hell if she could tell because all he said after she had talked and talked and talked was that he would see her later... and then he was abruptly up and out the door. What the fuck? God, Kate hoped that she had not pissed him off about this or that. She took a deep long breath and sighed before going to the door and closing it. She had some things to do... there was looking over the books and seeing which ones she could use and others that she could not. And then, she had to try on the clothing...

It was going to be a bit of a busy day trying to get her things sorted out.

And yet, he was always in her damn mind about what the hell he was thinking when he was watching her. He had a poker face and he had almost no expression. Well, perhaps... it would be best to avoid him until she was well enough to travel into town because all she was doing was making a complete and utter fool of herself everything they spoke to one another.

It was no easy thing to focus on work after that. Ben found himself wandering around, forgetting what he was doing, losing himself in thought far more than usual. By the end of the day, when it was time to pack up he wasn't ready. He didn't like her... he couldn't like her.

It was too new.

/I think you might have a crush on me Mr. Wilson./ Damn.

Dammit to hell.

Did he?

Dinner would be different tonight. The maids would prepare a meal and leave it. Without a storm Susan would not be forced to join them.

The Wilson boys; Luke, Noah and Jesse, piled into the house shortly after the food was delivered.

"Ms. Williams!" Luke called, "Dinner!"

Noah and Jesse chatted quietly as they stood over the wash basin and cleaned up as much as they could. Ben, for his part, took his time walking from the barn to the house, his head still reeling.

She was looking at herself in the mirror and how she fit in one of Ms. Matthews dresses as she sighed a little... it was a little loose for her own taste but she could do some tailoring to make it fit her a little better. She decided to wear the green dress down the stairs as she finished buttoning it up so that she could go and have some dinner.

Her own mind was thinking a little too much because she had basically teased a hot guy and he got upset over it. Well, not her fault if he was going to get upset because of something stupid that she said. Not like she was going to be stuck in this time period... but what if she was?

Then what would she do? Just live here in 1867 for the rest of her life? Suppose that she would have to get a husband or a protector of some sort? Well, her feminism part of her mind was telling her that she didn't need no man but hell, this was the wild west and in the movies... well, it wasn't an easy place. She thought of the movie McClintock when the rancher was spanking his wife and that was suppose to be funny.

Her thoughts went back to the present as she finished and went to the door to go down the stairs. As she was going down the stairs, well... it was probably the last person who she wanted to see after pissing him off. "Mr. Wilson." She said politely thinking of the etiquette book that she had found among Ms. Matthews things.

Ben nodded, reaching up quickly to remove his hat. He could hear the boys in the kitchen, chatting, laughing. It was a normal day... except for this woman. This baffling woman.

He ran a hand through his hair, messing his hair more than fixing it.

The green dress brought out her eyes, it looked a bit big and he wondered if she'd been eating properly since her husband died. Thinking of her husband sobered him. She would need a new husband... a new man to take care of her.

He wasn't... no. He couldn't consider that. Not already. He knew of couples who moved this fast but he wasn't one of them. Was he?

He realized he'd been standing staring at her far too long and forced himself to speak, "Dinner is ready, Ms. Williams. If you'd like to clean up before eating, there's a basin in the kitchen."

He was just staring at her as if he wanted to say something but he was just staring at her. Maybe, he was one of those people who talked in their mind but their lips were not moving. Her Mom was like that sometimes, would stare right at her and would talk in her mind to her and did not realize that her lips were not moving. "Uh..." She said looking a little uncomfortable for the moment and then he finally spoke. There was a little bit of relief on her face as he said that Dinner was ready. "Uh huh... I heard your brother calling for me." She said as she went down the last few steps in front of him and started towards the kitchen.

She was not so sure if she liked this calling each other politely with Mr. and Ms. Well, it was more proper then to use first names... which was silly in her honest opinion. "Thank you." She said as she entered the kitchen so that she could wash up before supper. It smelled good, like sheperd's pie.

Back
Top Bottom