Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Yearning Steer (Penner and AR)

RE: Yearning Steer (Penner and AR) Random Western Titles.

The thing was... Ben couldn't read the titles ON the books. He led her to a chair, helped her down, walked to the bookshelf and just grabbed a random book. It didn't matter which one it was... he knew the boys would just like being read to by a lady. And, well, he wouldn't mind getting to hear more of her voice and this was an easier way to keep her talking than trying to carry a conversation.

He slid into the seat next to hers and held out the book he'd grabbed.

"Sorry... I don't know any of those things you just listed."

~~*~~

Noah hurried into the kitchen as soon as he could but by the time he did Susan was gone, much to his regret... but he would sneak out and see her later.

He grinned to himself at the thought.

Truth be told he liked her, but most of his 'like' was centered on what she was willing to do with him. She was his first and every time they met up it was better and better.

"Really, they are some of the most wonderful books that I have ever had the pleasure of reading... Classics really but mostly romantic stories..." She chuckled. "I always liked the romantic novels over the mysteries and other sorts of stories." She explained as she was sitting done and looked up and watched as he went to the bookshelf and picked out a book and offered it to her. She looked at it for a moment as she read the title. It was Jane Eyre and that is when she realized. "Uh... Mr. Wilson." She said softly but delicately so that she would not offend him. "Do you not know how to read?" She asked gently with a look of empathy.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of..." She mentioned. "However, if you wish... I can teach you?" Kate offered to him as an option. "You picked out one of my favourite books... Jane Eyre." She said with a smile... "It's a very good book."

---

Susan returned with some clothing for Ms. Williams about ten minutes later. It was a blue and white calico dress with a petticoat and stockings a long with a corset since it did not seem like she had any of that with her. It was all normal attire for a lady of this era. There was even a bonnet... Susan would need the clothing back but it would do for now.

Ben had never really been embarrassed about his lack of education but now he felt strangely ashamed. His mother did try to teach him but in the end he was more interested in helping his father than sitting down to read and there hadn't been a school teacher. Ms. Williams would be the first.

He had, sometimes, wished he could read, but there were so many other things to do. It seemed like spending time trying to learn would be a waste, almost.

He might have rejected her offer outright but eventually she would leave this ranch and maybe if she was teaching him, it would be an excuse to seek her out once she was on her own.

Was he really planning that far ahead?

Crap.

"Yeah," he said softly, "I might like to learn but... you're gonna be busy. I don't think you'll be much interested in teaching me when you realize just how pig headed your students are." He referred mostly to Luke who could seem like such a sweet kid but who could turn on a dime.

He wondered why the boys weren't out yet. Just what the hell were they doing? But in a way he was glad because it gave him time with her. Even if he didn't know what to say, he was learning to relax a bit with her.

Kate watched him for a brief moment and said, “Well… lucky for you… School does not start until the end of August so… I suppose that I will be free to teach you a little more often.” She mentioned to him. “If you are willing to put aside an hour or so a week then we wouldn’t have a problem…” She said softly as she shrugged her shoulders.

“And I have taught students before… I think that is the fun in teaching. It’s a labour of love. When you can get through to a child who is not the star student or help them understand something that they thought would be impossible to know. Well, I think it makes the job well worth it.” She explained to him with an easy going look in her eyes.

“We do not have to start right away however… while I am here, do you think that we could? Tomorrow night?” She asked him curiously as she adjusted herself on the chair a little. Her eyes glancing down at the book as her hand was sweeping over the cover. The spine had the black lettering of Jane Eyre on it.

“I think that you could be reading and writing by the Christmas time.” She had a confident look in her eyes when she told him that. “What do you think?

His eyebrows raised at her prediction, "I think you're too optimistic."

But then he smiled, "Thank you."

He might have said more but Luke hurried in, "Susan brought some clothes for Ms. Williams!" He said.

Ben nodded, his smile fading away as it always did. Smiles from him were hard won and only very briefly worn but when he did smile it changed his features, turning him from a man you wouldn't want to mess with, to someone who seemed genuinely approachable and kind.

"It's probably too late to be changing now," Ben said, "take them up to her room for tomorrow."

"Me?"

"Yes," Ben said, "or are they too heavy?"

Luke snorted and hurried back to the kitchen to claim the clothes from Susan.

Noah, meanwhile, rushed to finish the last of the cleaning. He knew he couldn't afford to sneak over to her shack just yet but he couldn't make himself move at a more sedate pace.

She brushed a bit of her hair from her eyes as she said, “Ah, perhaps but optimism gives us a goal… and even if it doesn’t happen. Well, you will know that you tried.” She smiled back at him thinking that he was so much more handsome when he smiled. He was hot but… when he smiled, well… it was a different story.

“You’re Welcome.” She mentioned as she looked down at the book and opened it up to the familiar words. This had been a book that she had not read until university but she fell in love with the literature. It was at that moment when Luke came running in, he was a cute kid… seemed really nice too. The whole household seemed to be in running order… however, you could see that it was four guys living in one place and if Susan was not there… it would look like a frat house.

“I feel awful having to borrow clothing… suppose that I can buy some in town until my clothing arrives from the East…” Clothing that would never come.

Giving the clothing to Luke, it seemed that in one day… everyone had learnt her name. Well, she was thankful for that and so, letting Ms. Williams bought her clothing was not so terrible. Susan finished up cleaning before she was done and waited to be dismissed for the evening.

Luke bounded up the stairs with the clothes clutched tight, but he paused at the top of the stairs, "Ben? Is she staying in my room?"

"Yes," Ben answered. He looked to Susan, "You can go. Thank you."

"Wait," Luke hurried down the steps so he could look at his older brother, "I thought she was going to be in Noah's room."

"No. Your room."

Noah's room was a disaster. Luke was just a cleaner kid and Ben had made the decision to put Ms. Williams in Luke's room so the room would be ready with more haste. Jesse's room hadn't even been an option. The kid was old enough now that Ben wouldn't encroach on his space unless Jesse volunteered.

Luke made a face, hurried back up the stairs and into his room. He threw the clothes on the bed and started gathering his things. He didn't know how long she'd be staying but he wasn't leaving her alone with his possessions. Not because he didn't trust her, but because he wanted them close to him... and she really didn't need to know he kept his old toys from when he was a kid... they reminded him of his parents.

Jesse and Noah emerged from the kitchen just then. Noah resisted the urge to pat Susan's rear as she left. That would have to wait. He settled himself into a chair, "So. What are we reading?"

It had been a long time since they gathered for something like this. Their mother used to read to them after the lights went out, before bed, but that had been a long time ago. Jesse grabbed a lantern, it would provide more light than candles, and set it on the nightstand near where Ms. Williams sat. The light outside was fading fast now, and soon they would be plunged into darkness.

He tried to act like he wasn't eager for her to read, but he was. The first night the Wilson's brought him home, Mrs. Wilson had read to him. Her voice had been like a beacon of light in a world of pain. He'd never forget that, and he would never stop loving her, even if she was gone.

"If you'd like, we can lend you some money to buy those clothes. I don't reckon the school will be providing you with much." Ben offered. He wondered if she realized just how wealthy they were, he presumed she would know just by looking at their home but maybe in the city things were different and homes like this were common.

She'd realize when she went to town, if she didn't already. It wasn't something that mattered, particularly, but sometimes he thought people tried to get close to them because of their wealth. Maybe she was like that, maybe she wasn't, he didn't know her well enough yet to tell. But it was always a fear, in the back of his mind.

Kate looked up at Ben and said, “Oh... no... you have given me far too much charity by allowing me into your home and letting me stay in your brother's room.” She said as she was waving her hands as if to say that she could not possibly take his charity like that. “I would prefer if I could earn the money... and even if you loaned me the money. What if I couldn't pay it? Debt is a horrible thing to have.” She knew because her parents had had to go bankrupt when she was young and she never wanted to live like that.

“Then, I do always pay back my debt... will you allow me to think on it for a few days?” She said softly as she looked down at the book in question that she was going to read. “Jane Eyre.” She said to the other boys as they walked in. Holding up the book before saying, “It's a good one.” She mentioned with an excited grin on her face.

Settling herself, she waited for all of them to be seated. She supposed this was a form of entertainment before television or the radio. “Alright, if you want to stop me during the reading... go ahead, questions are always good.” She mentioned as she opened the book, it was a second edition but she was going to skip over the Author's Note. “Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte... or her pen name was Currer Bell.” She explained before flipping the pages to the start of the book and started to read.

“There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning; but since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre, and a rain so penetrating, that further out-door exercise was now out of the question...”

It was sometime later when she was coming to the end of a chapter that Kate stopped and looked up. “I think perhaps that is all for tonight... we can leave more for tomorrow?” She asked curiously.

When she looked up Luke had fallen asleep, his head on Noah's shoulder. Jesse had his eyes closed, but only because he was listening intently, Noah looked ready to kill himself - not his favorite kind of book, and Ben was staring. Although when she glanced up he looked away, "You're right. It's late. We have a lot of work tomorrow."

Jesse sighed, letting his eyes open. He wished she could read more but he wouldn't argue. he'd done enough arguing today.

Noah pushed Luke off his shoulder, Luke tumbled off him, nearly hitting the floor. "I'm awake!" Luke groaned as he struggled to regain his seat.

"Come on. You're sleeping on the floor," Noah declared as he rose and headed up the stairs. Once they were alone he'd threaten Luke with death and then sneak out.

Jesse stood, "Thank you for reading, Ms. Williams," he said quietly, "Good night."

Ben was the last to stand, "Come on, I'll help you upstairs."

He held out his hand.

Kate closed the book as it was in her lap as she sat down... she had done a lot of sitting the day but hopefully, she was going to be alright. She supposed being alone would help her a little since she was going to be on her own. Watching the brothers as she saw that Noah and Luke were fighting a bit as she smiled... missing her two older brothers. It was Jesse who came up to her and thanked her for reading to them. Smiling, she said. “You are quite welcome. I am happy that you enjoyed it.” She mentioned. “Good Night.”

Next, it was Ben who offered his hand to her as she took it. “Yes, thank you...” She said feeling suddenly exhausted... well, time traveling was a hard thing to go through in one day. Yet, she was not outside in the cold and had been taken in from quiet strangers.

Standing him, she said. “I am exhausted... it's been a very interesting day... no doubt for you as well.” She mentioned as she walked with him to the stairs and they slowly went up them. She was a little off balance but it seemed like she was getting better. “I don't think I will need help like this tomorrow... much to your relief?” She was teasing as they came to the room that she assumed was Luke's.

“Thank you, Mr. Wilson.” She said as she leaned up a little and kissed his cheek gently in thanks. “I should be fine to go inside on my own.” She said as she stepped away.

The kiss shocked him. He stepped back as she did, and he couldn't find his voice so instead of saying anything else he retreated, disappearing down the stairs to the main floor. He had no idea where he was going... he just needed to get /away/.

/crap/.

He was up for another hour, opening the shutters, stepping out for a bit to check on the barn with his lantern in tow. He finally retired to his room when he managed to shake the memory of that kiss out of his head.

The house was quiet by the time he returned. It was easy to forget they had company... and yet not.

In the dark of night, when Noah was certain the rest of the house was sleeping, he climbed out the window, after threatening Luke and hurried to Susan's shack. He'd been down this path so many times he didn't need a candle or lantern, he only needed the moon to guide him.

He was so excited he wasted no time once he was inside her shack, seeking her out... all hands and lips and need.

As for Kate, she had not thought much about the kiss. It was only a sweet gesture in thanks as she was sitting on the bed and looking around the bedroom for a moment. Well, it was dark since there was no lights as she felt for the clothing and set them aside as she stripped down to her underwear so that she could be a little more comfortable. No one was going to walk in on her.

Sighing, she was now alone with her thoughts and that was a scary thing because she was trying to figure out just how she got here... or perhaps, those memories were a figment of her imagination. Whoa... now, she was over thinking all of this. No... she time traveled back to 1867 and now... she was sitting in a bedroom.

Perhaps, she would wake up from this dream. It did seem a little surreal... Yawning, Kate moved the blanket and got under the covers. The night was warm and so, she had the blanket over her slightly so that she was covered but also with the feeling of a blanket was comforting.

-

The next morning, she woke up early because of the call of the rooster as she groaned. She was not feeling completely better but she was certainly not as dizzy as she had before. She rolled out of the bed and sat up, wiping the sleep from her eyes. “Jesus Christ...” She muttered. It's not like she had the make up that she had had before... She was pretty but they didn't have tweezers and mascara in 1867... did they? Hell, she would make her own if she had to... not that she had much on her except for her cell phone and some cherry chapstick. There was also the little bag for a first aid kit that were probably still in the trench... but there were tweezers... she could pluck her chin hairs and eyebrows! Sure, she would have to go without mascara but that was something that she would have to live with... natural beauty.

She looked at the clothing that she had from Susan... it was a nice simple outfit... there was also a corset. “Nope...” She said since she would not wear that.

It took her a little time to get dressed and to wash her face a little. She would need a bath but this little bird bath was enough for now.

It was another thirty minutes when she came down the stairs, slowly... she was well enough to be walking on her own and not fainting or tripping over herself. Thank god.

The Wilson boys were always up early. And they were keenly aware of their company and thus went about their business quietly. By the time Kate emerged from her room, Ben, Noah and Jesse were gone. Only Luke remained. He'd been left behind precisely to take care of their guest and he was both happy and worried because his brothers had gone to retrieve the cows Jesse had led into the ravine and honestly he was a little scared about what would happen.

That ravine was dangerous, especially after last night's storm. The ground would be soft, and muddy.

He sat at the breakfast table alone. The help had come and gone, preparing breakfast before leaving. He had a plate of food for Ms. Williams on the table and he guarded it like someone might come try to take it but of course no one would. There was no one left who would want it.

When he heard her on the stairs he hurried to his feet to greet her.

"Morning!" He said.

She hadn't really slept in as long as he'd expected. She was city folk, but apparently they weren't quite as decadent as he'd imagined.

Kate had a cheerful look on her face as she walked down the stairs and towards the kitchen but Luke already greeted her. “Good Morning, Luke.” She said as she said, “I see that you got stuck being my babysitter?” She was with a teasing tone as she went on. “Lucky for you… I’m not the least bit tipsy this morning.”

And it was the truth since she was standing upright in her proper attire that Susan had given her. She was not going to wear the corset but whatever it was with these clothing… well, it needed the corset to look proper for the shape… so, she had it on a little looser than usual.

That was the thing with corsets… a proper fitting corset was actually comfortable. “I hope you slept well… I’m sorry that I took your room.” She said honestly as they went towards the breakfast table. “It’s only for a few days and then, I will move into town and I will no longer be a bother.” She said with a grin. Kate was hungry and she could smell breakfast as her stomach rumbled.

Luke whistled softly when he got a look at her, "Ms. Williams, you look real nice in that dress! Not that you didn't look nice in the riding clothes but this is a bit better."

He watched her closely as she walked, keeping an eye out for any sign of swaying but as it turned out he wouldn't have to catch her or manhandle her like Ben had.

"It's okay, I don't mind too much." He said in response to her apology. He minded a little. Noah was a horrible room mate. He'd snuck out as soon as he could and snuck back in later smelling of something Luke wasn't familiar with but it seemed probably not innocent.

"This is for you," he pointed to the plate on the table. "If you're really feeling better, maybe I can give you a tour of the ranch today? So you don't have to sit in the house so much."

"I guess what it is a bit more appropriate..." She said with a shrug, not that she saw what was so terrible about her clothing yesterday. She was fully covered, but she assumed it was because she was a lady in trousers. The horrible of it all! She had looked amazing in that outfit and she knew it when she had walked out of the house yesterday morning... but now, she was in the world of Little house on the Prairie... well, it wasn't a little house but hell. She was not entirely sure that she was happy about all this.

She was craving driving a car to go to work, teaching her students, playing stupid games on her phone on her breaks. She did have her cell phone but she turned it off unless she needed it because she was going to try to get back this afternoon. No one was going to see her when she tried to jump into that trench... best case, she was in the modern time... worst case... she was covered in mud... oh, maybe she would jump feet first to get into it... In case she didn't get back then only her boots go mud on them.

Kate went to sit down as she looked at the meal with a smile. "Thank you..." She said as she sat down and went to tuck into the breakfast of oatmeal with some fruit preserved beside it to sweetened it up. She got the strawberry to have with her oatmeal. "You know, a tour of the ranch would be good. It would get me out a little." She mentioned with a smile knowing that it was going to be a hot day... it was the middle of summer and you could feel it in the air already.

It /was/ a hot day. By mid-afternoon any hint of moisture the night's storm had brought was dried up, and the world was reduced to dust once again.

Luke took his time leading Ms. Williams around. He introduced her to the other maid, whose name he didn't know. Showed her through the barns, introduced her to some of the horses, piglets, chickens and even took her for a tour of the garden - a huge, sprawling affair that was worked by ranch hands. He introduced her to the ranch hands and most were pretty friendly but a few made it very clear they didn't appreciate her presence.

By the time the 'tour' was wrapping up, it was too hot to stay outside, or at least that's what Luke figured. So he ushered her back into the house.

"Maybe tomorrow you'll be ready to head into town?" Luke said. Not that he wanted to get rid of her but there wasn't much to do out here if you weren't healthy and he thought she was probably going to get real bored if she had to spend much more time out here.

"So uh... I could introduce you to people there."

The little tour of the ranch was nice, she had met a lot of people including Mary... the other maid besides Susan. There were horses, chickens and piglets... along with a garden. It was all a grande ranch... like it had been as a museum. She had to wonder who would inherit and then who it would be passed down the line. Who was going to turn it into a museum. She was pretty sure that it had been in the 1930's because of the Great Depression. For now, this was it's hay day.

"Thank you for showing me around the ranch... good lord, it is hot..." There was no sunscreen back then and she wished that she had some. "I think going to town would be a good idea... I suppose I ought to find out where I will be teaching and where I will be living." She mentioned with a smile at the teenager. "I think when I was in the trench... something fell in with me... I mean, my horse ran off with most of my things... but uh... It would be nice to have something..." She said as she looked at Luke with a smile.

Maybe, this was her chance to get back home...

"Uh, yeah, we could go check?" Luke offered helpfully. He led her around the back of the house to the trench.

He leaned over, peering down into it, "I don't see nothin' but dirt."

The cows were finally out. It took them most of the day, and slow, tedious work, but they were now on flat ground and it didn't take long to lead them to the nearest stream. In a few days they'd have to be moved again but Ben didn't care, so long as they weren't in that cursed ravine.

He started heading back when Jesse called out, "Oy! Horse!"

Sure enough, grazing not too far away was a mare. Saddled, with heavy looking saddlebags, she was a fat, healthy thing. And, from the looks of it, she was alone.

"Must be Ms. Williams!" Noah said, "I'll get her!"

In the end the damned thing had a temper and she wasn't too keen on the idea of moving so it took them ages to get her moving, but once she was moving she trudged along willingly enough.

"At least she'll have some of her things," Noah murmured, "but we'll have to get her a new ride. This one is stupid." For good measure he pushed his foot against the trudging mares side.

As they were standing there at the trench, Kate looked over to him for a moment and said, “Well, we have to go into it to see if it is there.” She mentioned as she looked down to see the dirt was dry as she hopped into the trench... she was expecting to time travel back to her own time as she closed her eyes and thought really hard. However, she hit the dirt ground and looked up to see that it was still a trench and not a basement. Luke was looked down at her as if she was insane... she did not say anything but she was swearing inside her mind as she smiled. “I will be a second...” She mentioned as she looked down and moved her boot around the dirt floor as something loosened and she smiled.

It was the first aid kit. Bending down, she picked it up and said. “See... it was here.” It was a small leather bag with a red cross on it. She unzipped it and saw that it had a first aid kit and a few other things that she had put in there for the day... including mascara, her wallet and some gum. “It's all there.” She said as she zipped it up not thinking of how zippers were not going to be invented for thirty years.

Looking up, went over to the edge and started lifting herself out of the trench. It was a little hard but she did it anyways. But she was covered in dust. Once out of the trench, she dusted herself off. “Good that I found it...” She mentioned as she smiled at Luke.

What she did not know was that the three other brothers were going to be on the way with a fat pony with saddlebags that did not belong to her... However, she was going to have to pretend that it was hers.

Really? She had to jump in to see? There wasn't anything to obstruct their view... maybe he was pushing her too hard? Maybe she wasn't as recovered as she thought?

Luke watched her, a little bit perplexed by her actions. He had no idea how to respond to this one.

"What's that?" He asked when she actually /did/ find something. He'd never seen a bag like that before! The way it opened was so strange.

Luke reached to help her as she pulled herself out, holding onto her arm but letting go quick once she was out.

He might have asked about the bag again, but just then he spotted three riders coming in and knew it was his brothers. "Come on!" He said eagerly, "They're back!"

Covered in dust, mud, and sweat the three eldest Wilson brothers still managed to look like models cut from cowboy romance novels.

Jesse was the first to reach the fenceline. Noah came behind, cussing at the stupid fat mare following beside his own. Ben was the last to ride up. Jesse waved his hand, "Ms. Williams, we found your horse!"

"And your things!" Noah added, reaching out to pat at the saddle bags, "You had this poor thing overloaded! No wonder she bucked you off!"

Now, this was something that she could not believe as she was staring at the three brothers. Well, they looked amazing that afternoon but her eyes were on Ben... Man, he was quiet but he was really hot. Well, they were all pretty hot and almost unreal looking. Now, there was the fat mare that they had with them. "Oh.... Wow..." She said as she swallowed. How the fuck did they find a horse?

"Where did you find it... I'm so relieved to see that ummm... Buttercup is back." She put her hand on her chest but it was beating hard. How the hell? How did they find a horse in the middle of the West. It had to be someone else's but who?

"Thank you so much!" She mentioned as she went over to the mare and thought about what could be in those saddle bags. It could be a man's stuff. Most likely.

"Can I help?" She asked.

"No," Ben said gruffly, "the boys will handle it."

No way in hell he was letting her over exert herself. He swung his left leg over the saddle and hopped down in one smooth move. He ground tethered the horse and moved to open the gate.

"Noah, Jesse, take her bags up to her room. No snooping!"

"Bet she has pretty underthings," Noah said real quietly to Jesse as they rode by.

Ben heard it but would wait for later to scold the damn kid. He pulled his mare through the gate and handed the reins to Luke, "Wipe her down."

"Yessir!" Luke said, eager to have /something/ to do other than take care of Ms. Williams. He led the horse away.

Ben shut the gate, hands resting on his hips as Noah and Jesse unloaded 'Buttercup'.

"Afternoon, Ms. Williams," he said with a tip of his hat, "How are you feeling?"

She wondered what was in the saddle bags but then she was also a little excited. Truly, she hoped that it was some clothing that she could use. Also, she was praying that there was money. She was a little afraid to see what it was... What if everyone was useless go her since she was going to have to try and do this on her own on the frontier. Well, she would be teaching children so there would be some pay but she was going to have to see her new home.

She had tried to go back to her own time but it's not like she could. Was there a certain hour or a key to time travel? Or was she mad... Was she in a coma?

This was a weird coma dream...

Kate was going to act like this horse was a blessing. "I was so afraid that I lost her..." She said softly as she looked up at Ben. "I suppose that I can rest a little easier." She smiled wondering if he was upset because she kissed his cheek the night before. Well, she was not going to mention it.

"I'm doing well... I am not tipping over anymore and you don't have to walk me everywhere." She teased as she watched his reaction. "Luke was so patient this morning and he took me on a tour of the Ranch. Which was best because I found my bag in the trench and... Luke got it out for me." She lied a little because she knew he might get upset with Luke if he knew the truth.

Ben's lips tilted slightly as she mentioned she wouldn't need to be walked everywhere. Truth be told, he liked the way she teased. It made her seem less woman and more... human.

"Your bag?" He asked, "Well, I guess that's the majority of your things then. Except what's on the coach, but that won't be in until tomorrow or next week. The coach only comes once a week."

"What's in these things!?" Noah groaned as he lifted the saddlebags off the mare. Jesse had to help him drag the blasted thing into the house.

Ben looked at Ms. Williams with an upraised eyebrow. What indeed? If it was heavy enough to make both boys whine it must be books? She was, after all, a school teacher but would she really make her horse carry that as well as herself? IT seemed a bit... selfish.

Back
Top Bottom