Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Simple Misunderstanding . . . [Bloodkiss and ChaosLord29]

Allister couldn't help but smirk as he raised his eyes quickly, focusing himself intently on her own eyes as he kept his hands behind his back. 'Or accusing you of being a witch and consorting with demons.' He thought ruefully. He struggled to keep his smile cheerful, encouraging. "I'm sure if you were to pursue the matter . . . " He couldn't really think of way to express his thoughts without the risk of them sounding arrogant or dour, "Rather . . . " He paused, sighed and shrugged. "I know surely that in other circumstances you would not be without suitors, and my guess is you might have your pick of them."

She shrugged simply. "I don't pursue the matter. If they can't appreciate my talents and trust me or my craft, then I don't want them. I'd rather die alone than spend my life in servitude to a man like my father. I am not evil, and refuse to be treated as such." She turned her back to him and bent to pick up her things. "I suppose I should go find something else to wear before we set out for the village." She started off towards her home, her cheeks blazing in emberassment.

"Of course," Allister said, perhaps a bit too eagerly, and he was quick to turn around as she bent down at the waist, half wondering if it had been a purposeful gesture, meant to embarrass him. His cheeks burned and his heart was pounding in his chest as she struggled to take calming breaths, not quite able to calm himself. He settled his hands in his pockets, only to find the ruby still there, not where he had remembered leaving it. Withdrawing it from his pocket, he looked at it, and it seemed to pulse, in time with his heartbeat. Placing it back in his pocket, he dismissed such thoughts as the result of the rather embarrassing ordeal, and made his way towards the cabin, slowly this time, heading directly to his steed and deciding he could do without his own clothes till Caoimhe was dressed.

As soon as she was out of his sight she ran. She couldn't believe her own behavior, her shocking, wonton behavior. She ran as quickly as she could, her leg aching. She rushed into her cottage, hurrying to her chest of belongings. She tugged out another gown, this one more plain than the other, and struggled into it, cursing when she noted that she'd opened the stitching on her leg and made it bleed. She held the dress up and began re-sealing her wound.

Allister managed to busy himself looking to his belongings, giving the destrier a quick brush down before re-saddling it. All the while he could not seem to shake himself from a slight buzz and throbbing in his head, just above his eyes. At first he thought it had been sleep, or thirst or a result of their encounter with the demon, but it would not dissipate, and had been all the more acute while during his embarrassing experience with Caoimhe. It was almost like a voice nagging at him, causing him to blink several times and each time he did, the image of Caoimhe in her nakedness lingered in his mind's eye. Shaking his head he took a seat, leaning against the side of the cabin and began to clean, oil, and sharpen his weapons more thoroughly.

Once seated, he focused on this new task an important one for any knight, especially given that their was still a malicious summoner and enchanter somewhere about this region. His long and short blades he finished with adequately, letting them remain oiled in their scabbards to help prevent any undue wear or corrosion. His hammer he polished to a fine sheen, cleaning the grit from it's crosshatched head and the curved short spike till it's point caught the light finely. It was not until he stood with the hammer in his hands, settling into a comfortable stance did he remember the weight of the ruby in his pocket.

He removed it, letting the hammer rest on his shoulder, and admired the way it caught the reflecting light, even off his hammer. Almost immediately his thoughts returned to Caoimhe, practically unbidden. Now though, he remembered his dream as well, and the masquerade ball where he danced from woman to woman till he found the darkly dressed woman with the shining bronze hair. The woman turned to him in his mind's eye, beckoning and then her mask fell away, not like in the dream, and it was Caoimhe, with her eyes shining like the ruby he held in his fingers. Allister stood transfixed, unsure if he was seeing his dream in his mind, in the ruby, or the red eyes of the woman in his dream, but he stood there, still as a statue, unable to rouse.

Caoimhe finished mending her leg, sweat beading on her brow. It hurt worse to stitch it a second time. She shook off the pain and stood up, Midnight coming to her side for support. She gathered a few supplies, some healing herbs, a small waterskin, and a small kit for stitching and bandaging wounds. She hadn't seen the villagers in a while, and some of them might be in need of healing. She sighed when she realized that they probably wouldn't allow her anywhere near them, let alone touch them long enough to heal them.

She gathered her things in a pack, slinging it over her shoulder. Midnight helped her out the door, and they slowly made their way over to Allister. He seemed to be looking right in their direction, but he made no move to greet them. Like he was looking right through them. But she supposed she shouldn't expect any better after how she'd behaved earlier. She stopped a few feet from him, glancing at the ruby in his hand. She had acted terribly, but there was no way he could ignore her all day if they were to get anything done. She moved forward, trying to get his attention. She was nearly toe-to-toe with him when she spoke. "Allister?"

"Huhhh . . . " Was all that Allister could manage, sounding more like a day dreaming school boy than his usual, assured, practically smug tone. He was still enthralled in the shine of the ruby, and the appearance of Caoimhe herself in it's reflection did nothing but enhance the illusion playing out before his eyes. His world began to spin, and to him it was the spin of the dance as they spun, holding one another's arm and waist. It wasn't until it was too late did he realize this was in fact because he had lost his balance and begun to spin backwards, and he had reached out to Caoimhe for balance. It was too little too late however as he now tipped them both off balance, reeling backwards towards the ground as the spell was broken.

"What the-" Caoimhe squeaked in surprise as she was yanked forward, the ground rushing up to meet them. She landed with a soft thud on top of Allister, cursing as her injured thigh met his roughly. Midnight hurried over, hovering nearby with a confused look. Caoimhe grunted, the wind knocked out of her from the fall. He was a heavy man, and there'd been no stopping once he'd started to pull her down. "Allister, what the hell are you doing?" She growled, lifting herself up on her elbows. She pressed a hand to the ground, meaning to lift herself up farther, but the wounds there were still sore. She brushed her hair out of her face, looking down at him through the curtain of red-gold silk.

Allister managed to his the back of his head on the ground unable to catch himself in his fall, and thus when Caoimhe spoke, he was still a bit dizzy and only half sure he wasn't still dreaming or entranced. Either way, he was now not nearly so trusting of the ruby and tossed it aside vigorously before sitting up on his hands looking at her intently in her more plain dress, trying to discern if she was an illusion. "That depends, you don't feel at all like dancing do you?" He asked warily, a great deal of suspicion in his voice as he glanced from her to Midnight.

Caoimhe shot him a puzzled look before rolling off of him and sitting up. "Don't worry. Like I said, I only dance at the solstice. And it's the middle of the day, anyway." She said sarcastically, standing up and brushing herself off. "We have much to do today. We should be off." She picked her pack up from where it had fallen during their tumble and slung it back over her shoulder. Turning away from him, she began walking toward the village, favoring her injured leg more now. It was sore from the day's many trials, and was probably bleeding again from the fall, but she went against her better judgement and ignored it. Midnight hurried to her side, sensing her discomfort, and lent her some support. She walked with one hand on his side, ready to catch herself if she tripped.

Allister got up quickly however and rushed towards her, grabbing her by the shoulder. He could tell she was in pain, limping and supporting herself next to Midnight, and he wanted to at least have the chance to explain his actions. "Hold a moment, you are right, but please let me try to explain . . . " As she seemed to hurry on in spite of him, he let out a sharp whistle and his destrier came running up at a full trot and he agilely swung himself into the saddle and sprinted the charger out in front of them rounding it in front of them and dropping down in front of her. "Now listen. There is something not right about any of this, and before we head out, there is something we need to discuss." reaching into his pocket, he found the ruby, somehow able to tell that it would be there, "This, this gem there is something about it, something . . . wrong." He stared at it then to her intently, holding it out for her to take.

Caoimhe stopped abruptly when he cut them off, but she was only moderately surprised by his actions. She watched as he took the ruby from his pocket, and couldn't help but make a disgusted face. She agreed there was something very odd about the gem. She took it from him hesitantly, examining it and turning it in her hand. "I don't know. It just gives me an odd feeling. I don't like it." Midnight took one look at it and uncharacteristically shirked away from her.

Allister smiled sardonically, "You're telling me, you haven't been carrying it around with you." He replied reaching down and closing her hand around it. "Why don't you hang onto it for a few days?" He suggested still smiling and turning to look at Midnight, "In this area I'm going to bow to your expertise, and you can even consider it an apology, since I'm willing to bet it's the source of much of the recent . . . unpleasantness, these last days." He looked from the ring to her and back. "Although I hope you will let me apologize, I do shoulder some of the blame myself, and it has not been my intention to cause you any discomfort." These words he spoke more genuinely, not quite able to look her in the eye as he said them.

She nodded, placing the gem in the pocket of her gown. "I apologize as well. I have been rather...harsh in our dealings. I am not used to being around others for this long, especially someone like yourself." She blushed softly, motioning for Midnight to come back to her side. She leaned on him for support, favoring her leg.

Allister smiled softly and nodded as she took the gem, hoping that her holding it would prove it was merely his imagination, though his experience this morning had very much convinced him otherwise. It was too much to hope that the gem was not in some way cursed, and yet he found himself questioning whether that wish would be so appealing an alternative. 'After all.' the nagging voice in the back of his mind cut in, 'It would mean those violations of propriety and your thoughts of her would be purely your own. And for that matter, should it indeed prove cursed, placing it in the care of a woman for whom you are responsible . . . ' He shook his head, confounded by the complications and ordeals this whole situation had forced upon him. He could hardly believe it had only been the previous evening he had been so righteous, so simplistic in his views on bringing a witch to justice, and now . . .

Now things were not so clear. Though perhaps, the path before him and his immediate actions were still not muddle beyond recognition, and he reached out his hand to her shoulder, stopping her from turning towards Midnight and clearing his throat. "It will be easier on your leg if you ride. Sleipnir will bear you without trouble so long as I lead him." It was a good gesture he thought, considering he was now twice responsible for any further injury to her leg between their collapse and the huff she had left in.

Sighing softly, she nodded, quite sheepishly. "As much as it hurts my pride, I must say my leg hurts worse, and riding would be a nice respite from hobbling along like an old woman." She almost laughed, behind her strained smile. "Hopefully this bothersome wound will heal in a few days' time. It is terribly annoying." She patted Midnight's side, and he all-too-eagerly backed from her side, and the gem in her pocket.

Allister returned her smile genuinely and knelt down beside Sleipnir, lacing his fingers next to the horse for her to step into. "He's well behaved enough, though you will want to deal with him sharply should he treat you as anything less than a lady." He couldn't help but smirk mischeviously at that statement.

She laughed, the sound light and lilting. "I've told you more than once, I am no lady. Though I thank you for the outrageous compliment." She placed her foot in his hands and swung her injured leg up over the horse, straddling the large beast as any male rider. "And since I am not a lady, do not tell me that I must ride side-saddle." She grinned, stroking the horse's mane tenderly. "He is a fine specimine. And I don't think I shall have to deal with him harshly. Lord knows I have done enough of that this past day and a half." She shot him an apologetic glance before quickly lifting her chin, her bright green eyes shadded once more in steely pride.

Allister was pleased to see her swing so quickly and athletically into the saddle, taking it not only a sign of her improving health, but also it was refreshing to see a woman confident about handling herself on horseback, so rare a quality it was amongst those he had yet met. The notion that she would not be riding side saddle though gave him pause. Not one always to stand on tradition he had once questioned why it would be advisable for women to ride side saddle and the answer he had received then was only somewhat explanatory. It had almost occurred to him question her to the wisdom of it, but the implications of what such a question or even the answer she might give . . . He decided against it and contented himself with a nod and a smile patting Sleipnir on the flank before heading off down the forest path beside Midnight.

Caoimhe tugged at her skirt, suddenly feeling quite emberassed in Allister's presence. Perhaps she should have given in to propriety and sat side-saddle, if only to retain some measure of modesty. She felt her cheeks heat up as she remembered their earlier confrontation. He had seen far more that her bare legs then, but now letting even that bit of flesh show made her flush. She breathed a sigh of relief when the village came into sight. The task at hand would help to keep her mind occupied. They must find out who was responsible for the terrible occurances in the village, and clear her sullied name.

Allister felt much more relaxed as they began their journey back down the forest paths towards the nearby village, not quite wanting to attach his new good feelings to the removal of the gem from his person, nor spoil his mood with any thought that the occasional glance towards Caoimhe was anything but brief concern for her injuries. She seemed to ride along side him just fine, and Sleipnir was surprisingly well behaved. As they neared the village however, passing the first farmhouse on their way, he felt a growing anxiousness and had new doubts about their supposedly simple task.

After all, it seemed all well and good for him to just march into town with Caoimhe and let her profess her innocence to the villagers, backed by his own testimony. But that was only one perspective, the villagers were frightened enough as it was and his experiences (though only positive till now) with the malleability of the 'herd' and their susceptibility to panic and superstition would make confronting their supposed tormentor no easier. Weighing the options in his mind, he came to an executive decision, and patted Sleipnir on the flank brought their small train to a halt.

"I have been thinking that perhaps it would be best for me to don my armor before we arrive at the village, it may help to strengthen our position." He said, not wanting to voice his concerns explicitly, or that should things turn against them his armor might be all too necessary. Allister extended his hand towards Caoimhe, offering to help her down quite unthinkingly.

Caoimhe understood his reason for such precautions. She'd been thinking to herself the myriad ways they could be received by the villagers. They had once considered her a friend and a healer, but things had turned foul, and their thoughts morbid. She wouldn't be surprised if they tried to kill her before she got a chance to speak. Fear was a powerful motivator, and they certainly had enough fear and superstitions to go around.

"Alright." She took Allister's hand, slowly climbing down from her perch on the huge beast. She would normally have refused his help, especially with her current feelings of embarrassment, but she was beginning to get sore from the saddle, and her leg was aching. When her feet met the ground, she let out a sigh of relief and stretched. "Thank you."

"My pleasure," Allister said, sincerely as she stepped down, though not quite able to suppress a small smile as she settled down to the ground with a relaxed sigh and stretched. It was comforting to see her in a moment of normal human weakness, reassuring not only that she was healing, but that she was not some dark, corrupting tormentor. He hoped that the show of her more human side would do much to sway the villagers, just as much as the sight of their returning knight in shining armor, astride his steed. 'Much that you feel like that iconic figure now.' he chided himself as in donning his armor once more he was aware of just how little these last few days had been what he had imagined his first jaunt as a knight would be.

He was quick about strapping the armor to his body, taking solace in the protection he felt behind it, and the security of strapping his swords around his waist and hefting his hammer in one hand before slinging it at his side. Once he was finished, he was torn between offering his assistance to Caoimhe back into the saddle, and stepping up himself to hopefully impress upon the villagers better that she was not their enemy. A glance however from Caoimhe and then to Midnight allowed him the moment to defer the decision.

"About Midnight . . . " He said, turning from the horse towards her and then looking down at the large dark hound to her side. "It may not be in our interest to bring him into the village with us . . . " He was nervous about broaching the topic, after all the help her companion had been, but hoped that she might have had left him before on her other visits.

((I assume you meant Midnight. ^^ Lol.))

Caoimhe glanced to her wolf, frowning when she realized that Allister was right. He'd come to the village with her before, but not often enough to be a comfort to the villagers. "Midnight, go hunt and rest. You were a great help to me yesterday. I will be fine without you for a few hours." The large canine glared at Allister, but did not seem threatening. Caoimhe laughed softly, scratching behind his ears. "Allister will protect me until you return." Midnight's large amber eyes bore into the knight's, almost as if he waited for Allister to give him his word.

Allister looked down into the bright eyes of the wolf, seeing in them the same loyalty and cunning he had always admired in Sleipnir's, recognizing just as much that this was no mere beast, and feeling the attachment he felt towards his mistress. "Don't worry, Boy." He said, smiling as he would to one of the hunting hounds from his estate back home before shutting the visor of his helm for effect, now the fully donned in his armor, which unfortunately didn't quite shine in the waning light or with the wear it had seen in the last day. Turning back to Caoimhe, he decided he would not have any injury to her leg on his conscious and proferred his hand to her to help her back onto Sleipnir, not matter how it might look to the villagers. "Milady." He said with a somewhat exaggerated air, partly in an effort to assure Midnight.

Back
Top Bottom