Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Return of the Exalted (for me and Liliana)

December 21st, 2012. Despite professional recalculations putting the Mayan calender's long-count ending earlier, this day marked the beginning of what some have said was the end of the world.

Stories vary as to what happened on that day, but an asteroid the size of Manhattan Island appeared suddenly in the skies over New York. Not long before impact, reports tell of a man on the street suddenly becoming engulfed in brilliant golden light, leaping high into the air and obliterating the asteroid with a single blow before disappearing entirely.

Over the following weeks, isolated townships and small rural communities around the world started to go silent, as did anyone travelling to them to investigate. Satellite footage showed nothing. Eventually; the truth reached the world at large through social media - photos and videos uploaded from smartphones showed strange and horrible beings attacking these smaller communities and tearing the people apart. The militaries of the world soon realised that, whatever these creatures were, they were keeping their distance from major population centres. Needless to say; the rush of people towards larger cities across the world was almost crippling as the cities tried to cope with the massive influx of refugees. Though the actual counts were well below what people estimated, suggesting the worst had happened to the rest. Military cordons sprang up to help seal the cities from these creatures but many took a considerable amount of firepower to bring down and many outposts were simply overwhelmed once they ran out of ammunition. Then; the Exalted appeared.

The first was in England, a young man leading a large number of refugees to a camp on the outskirts of London. He did not really know how he had gained such power, but reports said that he tore the monsters apart with almost no effort and with nothing but his bare hands (though footage recently surfaced on YouTube of him killing one monster by tearing the brick wall off a public toilet block and throwing it). He was not the only one and soon there were reports across the globe of people developing such incredible, almost godlike power.

This power came with memories of another time and world, as well as answers to what they were. The Exalted - people gifted with the power of the mightiest gods of the Celestial Bureaucracy. The Solars, who blazed with the light of the Unconquered Sun. The Lunars, whose ability to become animals reflected their many-faced goddess, Luna. And the Dragon-Blooded, empowered by the Primordial Gaia, their bloodlines were re-awakened where they wielded the elements against the monsters. The memories contained in their Exaltations quickly revealed much - that at one stage, reality consisted of a single flat world called Creation, but incursions from a realm known as Malfeas triggered an unprecedented change. Not only physically changing the world to the one we know, but creating several billion years of history that was no less real than the present or Creation.

The world is still reeling from this change - history and religion challenged in their entireties while the Exalted routinely break the laws of physics. For a time, it seemed the cities were safe - the larger populations somehow stopping the demons, ghosts and Fair Folk (as the various creatures had been identified as) from manifesting in reality while handfuls of Exalted and large military defences held them at bay with long ranged munitions.
"You know; this is kind of excessive," Erik managed to say, the Dragon-Blooded holding him by his neck not quite closing his windpipe entirely, "that hit to my gut got the point across pretty well." They were in a mostly-empty parking garage in downtown Seattle late at night. Erik had just left a nearby wargaming club and had put his stuff in his car when he saw the Fire Aspect being rather forward with a young woman. Despite common sense telling him that a Dragon-Blood could snap him in two with a flick of his wrist, Erik had confronted him anyway. The fact that he was still alive meant that the Exalt was having fun. The woman had done the smart thing and fled once the Dragon-Blood was distracted.

"Maybe;" the Exalt replied, his flame-red hair already moving faintly, like a low flame, "but you just cost me one lot of fun for the night so you'll have to provide some different fun."

"Well, excuse me for trying to stop a super-powered asshole from ruining a girl's life." Erik would've stepped in no matter who was trying to harm her; not because of any past experience with rape victims or the like, just because he considered it the right thing to do. He did regret that he was probably going to die, but not that he'd helped someone in the process. “You’re supposed to use that power to protect people, or are you that desperate for a date? Or maybe you’re just desperate to be the ‘big man’; don’t like ‘weaklings’ standing up to you in all your fiery ‘glory’? How about that; the big, scary Fire Aspect feeling insecure because of a little ol’ mortal?”

His defiant comments did make the Exalt let go of his neck... only to lead into a punch to the chest that sent him flying back nearly a hundred metres and into the side of a van with enough force to leave a deep, Erik-sized dent. The punch alone would have caused major damage to his ribcage, but hitting the side of the van with that much force should have killed him. All he could experience was unbelievable pain, but even through it, he realised he could only feel pain from about halfway up his chest as he fell forward onto the car park floor. The impact had severed his spine.

His vision and hearing were dull and fuzzy, but he could make out the Exalt coming towards him, a faint nimbus of flame surrounding him. Despite his situation, Erik refused to give up. He wasn't going to give this bastard the satisfaction of killing him nor would he let any Exalt, no matter how powerful, get away with abusing their power like this one was. The Exalted protect people, even from each other. It’s the only real use for that kind of power. Besides; there’s no way I’m gonna let myself be killed by some fucking jumped up BULLY!

In an instant, the entire floor of the carpark was bathed in an eruption of golden light, a wave with such physical force as to push back the Dragon-Blood and shove cars several metres away from its epicentre. The Fire Aspect had to shield his eyes from the blinding light, refusing to believe what was happening right in front of him.

A voice rang out through Erik’s mind, touching his very soul.

Arise, my child.
For your glory is at hand.
You stand against those who care only for themselves,
who set their own desires above the safety of Creation itself.
My neglect allowed this to happen, but no more.
Though you will face great odds and terrible foes,
this does not matter, for you are my Chosen.

For you are a Solar.

When the Dragon-Blood looked again, Erik was once more on his feet with nary a scratch on him, even his clothing was bloodless and undamaged, save that the tie holding back his long, dark hair had snapped, leaving it to flow free in the breeze that wafted through the carpark. His green eyes shone with a new drive and purpose while an emblem of a golden disc blazed on his forehead. "Well," Erik said, slightly stunned as he took in what had just happened, "seems someone up in Yu-Shan agrees with me."

The Dragon-Blood seemed to only become more angry at the sight of Erik becoming a Solar of the Zenith Caste right in-front of him. Either that or he panicked. Either way, the aura of flame around him grew stronger as he raced to throw a punch at Erik several times stronger than the one that had sent him into the van. His own aura flashing brighter, Erik calmly caught the punch with one hand, somehow knowing a way to let the force harmlessly pass through him, though when it emerged from his back, it still had enough force to send the van hurtling across the garage like a toy thrown by an angry child.

The Fire Aspect's face lost the pretence of anger as Erik tightened his hand around his fist and started crushing the Exalt's hand. Pouring more Essence into his aura, Erik spoke bluntly. "If I ever catch you harming another innocent person again, we're finishing this." There was a sickening crunch as he twisted his wrist, breaking the Fire Aspect’s arm for emphasis. Exalted doctors would have the arm healed in no time, but the Fire’s reaction made it clear he got the message.
It was only a few minutes later that a small team of Exalts and some mortal support staff arrived to recruit him for Bulwark; a multinational organisation formed by several different governments and private interests meant to organise the Exalted and ensure that they could be where and when they were needed, had the resources and facilities for research into the supernatural threats to the world and, when necessary, ensure they could be deployed to deal with said threats.

Bulwark agents and Exalts in Seattle were housed in what had once been a rather high-end hotel. Fortunately the owner was one of the ‘private interests’ who’d helped found and fund Bulwark. Since Bulwark makes sure to group the Exalted into teams, it was barely a fortnight after the incident in the parking garage when Erik was given a dossier on a new Exalt; a woman who'd been assigned to be his teammate and who had Exalted as a Solar within the last couple of days...

Michelle, have lived in Seattle most of her life. Had watched the world go to hell. Everyone thinking that the world was coming to an end. Though she her self never believed that anything liked that would happen. Though in the coming weeks she was shocked to see all the monsters around the world. Never had she seen such things in her life, only in story books and things she watched on TV.

Michelle had traveled to Iran, to help all that she could out there. She always wanted to help those in need. Fighting to give them the life that all people should have. The leaders, not taking care of their people. And that just pissed her off to no end. She was one to have a fighting spirit. She had always been that way. Her mother always said she was to much of a figther. Of course Michelle would always just laugh it off.

Now in a small village just outside of Iran, she was working to put in a water system. They had fought back the military, that wanted to take over the village. But they had kept that from happening, not without injury though. The days passed, things had changed. Feeling it in the air and people around her. She didn't understand why. But she knew something was about to happen. But she couldn't be sure, so she went about her day just like any other.

*********************"**********************

A few days later, all hell broke loose in the village. Michelle was sleelping in her tent. Just like any other time, waking up the screams of men, women and children of the village. Jumping out of her cot, she grabs the gun that she always uses. Bursting through the tent flaps. What met her eyes, left her in shock. Creatures were ripping people apart, men in mix, they glowed red all about them. Bodies lay broken and bleeding in the ground. Her mind kicking into action, lifting her gun. She starts to shoot at the men and creatures. Though it just seemed to piss them off more.

She hit one of the Dragon-blooded, he stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes train onto her. His booming voice, "You dare shoot at me?!? That is your death warrent." She snarled at her. Standing her ground, she would not back down, when people were being killed. Her voice strong and sure, "If you think you can kill me. Then by all means please try and do so. You won't kill anyone else!"

The Dragon-Blooded smiles, "As you wish." He fully turns to her, charging straight for her. She widens her legs, holding her gun up to his chest. She starts to fire off round after round at him. They were doing no good, her clip had run out. Looking around as fast as she could, for anything that could be used as a weapon. Her ice blue eyes, looking back to the man. He slammed into her.

His hand going into her chest, grippingnher heart. Blood spus from her mouth. Her eyes wide with shock. As the man smirked at her, "You were saying?" Spitting out her own blood. Her voice a ragged, "kill me if you can you worthless thingmof a man." He laughed, "Oh I will."

He squeezed her heart, feeling the last bits of her life slip away. Dropping her to the ground, blood pooling around her body. She could still hear the screams of the women and children. They were becoming few, she had to do something. But she couldn't move her own body. When all of a sudden, a blinding light flashed down into the village. The creatures weld and ran from the light. Michelle turning her head slowly to the light. She felt such warmth in it.

"My sweet child. You have fought when others would run and hide. You gave your life for these people. You protected them from the creatures and men took their lives. I am sorry for not doing what had to be done. This oath will not be easy, but you are my child, the one choose to fight. Rise and do what must be done. For you are Dawn Solar."

With his finally words, Michelle was in her feet. A long board swoardnin her hands. Gold as the bright morning sun. Red cloth hanging from the hilt, the hilt have all manner of bright jewles. Michelle looking to the swoard, she smiles. The dragin-blooded tried to look but it hurt to much. Michelle in a strong sure voice, "By the gods above. I shall kill you." Readying her sword, she runs at the dragin-blooded. He tried to move, but he wasn't fast enough. "You shall not kill these people no more!" She screams as she cuts off his head. It rolls and falls to the ground, his body falling over, as blood flows like a river out of him.

With in moments men from a company she didn't know. Where all around her, they asked her to come with them. She agreed to do so, riding back to her home state. The swoard at her side. She gets to a hotel, taking her rest. She woke up the next morning. Her teammate, she was suppose to meet him today. Walking down to the meeting room. Her sword out away, wearing jeans and a shirt. Not really wanting to out on more then that. She felt a little lost without her sword, she runs back to her room to get it. Making her way back to the meeting room. She walks into the room, sitting down her sword between her knees. Her aurburn hair pulled back into a pony tail. She waited for her teammate.

"Your new teammate will be here soon," the Bulwark agent said, "For the moment, though; I'd like to talk about what happened in Iran. Officially; the people who attacked you were Fair Folk posing as Dragon-Blooded Exalted in order to sow confusion. The Middle East has had the most trouble accepting the Exalted over the last couple of years, giving them confirmation that there are some who abuse their power to that extent would only make things worse for the region. Fortunately; your Exaltation gave us an opportunity. They panicked, didn't cover their tracks as well as they usually do and I just got confirmation that a team from our Middle Eastern branch has disposed of them. I know it was accidental, but still; nice work."

As the agent finished talking, Erik entered the room. "Sorry, some idiot hit all the buttons in the lift again," he remarked, his Australian accent clear, "we really need to get the cameras in them fixed." He paused as he noticed the woman, particularly the sword she was holding. So her past self set up a similar contingency to mine; shame it took me til just three days ago to work out how to call it. "Sorry; manners. Erik Blakson, one of the base's newest Zenith Castes."

"Actually you're still the newest Zenith on base." the agent cut in.

"Yes, thank you Agent Maine, for reminding me of that."

She sighed in relief, "I am glad they are taken care of. Thank you for telling me that all taken care of sir." Her hands touching her sword, as she could see the bodies. Shaking her head. "I will be on more alert the next time I come in contact with the enemy." As she looked down at her sword. Hearing Erik she laughed, looking over to him.

"Did you enjoy your ride?" She had to give him teasing.

Standing up, her sword laying on the edge of the table. Walking over to Erik, holding out her hand, "Nice to meet you Erik. I'm Michelle Heartgrove, Dawn Solar." Looking him over, not to be rude about it. But if she was going to work with this man. She wanted to make sure that he was going to be safe and up to it.

Smiling softly, "It will be a pleasure to work with you Erik. And I have to say that I enjoy the accent you have. So, it will be a pleasure for me to hear you talk as well."

Glancing over to Agent Maine, "So are me and my partner heading out on mission sir?" She wanted to know what they were going to be doing together.

"Not just yet," Maine answered, "for now we need to test your capabilities. Erik will be helping with that."
"Wait," Erik remarked, "do you mean the armoury?" That particular training exercise was something he hadn't enjoyed being on the receiving end of. Maine simply nodded. Great, Erik thought to himself, this is gonna do wonders for teamwork.

"Okay," he finally said, "follow me and let's get this over with."

At first glance, the armoury seemed to have an odd layout. It had been set up in the hotel's outdoor carpark with a number of solid, concrete barriers that had, seemingly, been fused together to make sure there were no gaps for rounds to pass through. There were no targets, just a table against one wall with a handful of handguns and submachine guns laid out on it.
"Okay," Erik said as he walked over to the table, "most important thing to learn as an Exalt, one thing you have to keep in mind above all else and despite what you might think from your own powers." Faster than he should've been able to, Erik whipped around and fired a shot from a pistol he'd loaded at Michelle which lightly grazed her arm as it passed to slam into the wall behind her.

"Mortal weapons can still kill us. The dossier mentioned you'd emptied a whole clip of 5.56 rounds into one Exalt's stomach - he only survived that thanks to his Charms and the fact that he was an Earth Aspect. If we don't have the Essence to fuel those Charms or otherwise can't use them, a piece of lead'll kill us as surely as a blood ape's fists. Fortunately; that's the only live round that'll be used in this little exercise. What we're going to be doing here is using simulation rounds to see how well you can dodge or parry bullets. Leave your daiklave by the door; this is a bare-handed test." With that, he turned back to the table to start loading another weapon with rubber simulation rounds. "If your Exaltation makes you 'remember' any defensive Charms, feel free to use them. Honestly; I think have the reason this exercise was designed was to prompt the Exaltation to call those memories from its past host up, make sure you could defend yourself with its power when you needed it rather than trusting to luck and fate."

"And if that wasn't enough, you also have to deal with... a little more than a single handgun," he said as he turned around with a MAC-10 in each hand. "Let's get started."

OOC: Expanding on this if you needed more to reply to, if there's something you want me to change, let me know in a PM.

In truth, this was the easiest form of this exercise. The rubber bullets loaded in the MAC-10s would leave bruises, true, but they would heal overnight. Not to mention that, even at close range, the submachine guns were considerably inaccurate thanks to the shorter barrel and high recoil. Finally, the person firing isn't really supposed to be trying to hit the trainee; just firing in their general direction.

The key was to see if they could both handle the shock of the real bullet fired to remind the trainee that they are not actually immortal as well as the inherent intimidation of facing down a pair of rapid-fire weapons (regardless of whether they were using live or rubber ammo). After that, it was to see how well they could identify which bullets were going to hit them and either evade them or bat them out of the way with their bare hands. The emotional side was supposed to help prompt the memories contained in their Exaltation to surface. Not memories of specific events, but the metaphysical equivalent of muscle memory; trying to prompt memories of how to augment their speed and reflexes to the point that they could reliably swat bullets out of the air as casually as they would a fly.

Back
Top Bottom