Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Royal Standard of Marriage (Krystal x Daxxel)

It was an unusually hot and muggy night for September, and Krystal found herself grateful for the air conditioning in her penthouse apartment. She walked into her bedroom, laying doennon the plush blue comforter, her long blue hair spreading around her like a waterfall. Shenlooked up into the skylight. "Mother, please let him like me tomorrow" she prayed, closing her glacial blue eyes a moment before a few lone crystalizing tears dropped from her face. She had neverbknown her mother, but her dear uncle Rath Roiben had told her many stories. She often wished ahe could back in time to meet her parents, but knew that was just a wish. Not even the most skilled magicians in her court could manage that, though her tutor, Warlic, had tried a few times.

Krystal let a few more tears go before she got off the bed and climbed into it, kicking off her hello kitty themed slippers as she got in. She needed the sleep, even if she felt like she wouldn't get any at all. She was to nervous and excited about tomorrow. Krystal had heard stories of the man she was engaged to, but she'd never met him. He seemed like someone she would like, but she had no idea if he would like her or not. The other courts typically feared and shunned the dark court.

Before Krystal knew it, her butler Roreck was waking her for the bright new day. Butterflies flew around in her stomach as she showered, wondering just what would happen today. They were meeting here at her mansion, and she had many fun things planned for them to do today, but still she worried. She had no idea if he would even like her or not. When Krystal emerged from her shower, she carefully blowdried her straight, knee length blue hair, brushing through it with an almost paistaking rythem. She wanted to look pretty for today.

Once her hair was dry, she pulled the hair in two long ponytails and proceeded to wrap them up into two buns on either side of her head. Each bun was shaped like rabbit ears, and two long tails came from both of them. When she was satisfied with her hair, she slipped on her strapless blue cocktail dress, heels, and a necklace given to her by her beloved uncle. "Perfect." She said softly as she finished winging her black eyeliner, looking every bit like a beautiful pin ip gurl from the 1950's.

Kaleb sat at the large table across from his father. "Must I really marry this girl? I don't even know her" he said trying in vain to ring some compassion out of his stone of a father. "Yes Kaleb it is for the greater good of the Summer Court. Don't think of it as a marriage but as a partnership. Beside it will grant you higher standing among our Family and the nobility" his father said not even looking up from the parchment he was reading "But.." Kaleb was about to protest more but was cut off by a stern look from his father, "You are doing this Mac mianach, and that is final!"

Kaleb looked stunned his father never used Kaleb's mystic name before, kaleb didn't even know his father knew it. but invoking his mystic name met Kaleb had no choice and so he left his father's study and headed to the woods to blow off some steam. as he walked his recited a few cantrip mantras, weaving the arcane anergies through his hands. "Why did she have to be Dark Court?" he asked an old oak tree as he flopped down underneath it, "she's going to be as ugly as a goblin, or a vile as a spriggen. Hell she'll probably be worse then Queen Mab herself" he complained then sat with his face in his hands for a while before drifting off to sleep.

In the morning he awoke under the oak and cursed, "Father is going to skin me if I'm late" he said before conjuring a pair of wings and flying up to his tower, where he would hopefully beat the squire that would be sent to rose and dress him. Luckily he made it just in time as the squire entered the door, Kaleb acted like he had just come out of the bathroom, having stripped off his clothes before exiting. "Good morning Sire, it is time for you to be dressed" the squire said not caring for Kaleb's nakedness. As Kaleb washed, the squire laid out a set of forest green robes and Kaleb's finest, yet impractical silver breastplate. Once he was dressed the squire prepared Kaleb's hair, braiding in a ceremonial plait and fiting him with a small circlet that indicated his royal ties within the Summer Court. "Is all this necessary?" he asked looking at the squire. "Of course it is son," his father answered striding into the room, "we must make you look like the noble you are" he added crossing his arms.

Once the primping and preening was done Kaleb and his father walked to the great hall "So are we riding to meet my future bride?" he asked. "No son, she waits in her palace on the human side of the veil" and before Kaleb could say anything a loud crack echoed off the walls and a doorway opened and Kaleb was pushed through fllowed quickly by his father.

Krystal nervously filed her nails as she waited for the summer court king and his son to arrive. Her uncle stood by her side, gently rubbing her back. "It will be fine my little star. He will love you." He promised, trying to keep the ancy dark fae queen from hurting herself. She had a horrible habit of filing her nails fown to the quick when she was nervous, and being anemic, it wasn't good for her. She sighed softly, watching the entrance to her private library like a hawk. She knew that they would be there soon. She was on edge, but she tried to keep herself as xalm as possible. Krystal knew that first impressions could be everything. She intended to make him see that not all the talk of her court was true.

Krystal took a deep breath, the sipped a cup of tea. The slight bitterness of cherry blossom tea had always calmed her, as had the smell of insence. Some burned in the corner of the room, and the scent of jasmine, cherry blossoms, magnolia and ylang ylang wafted through the room. It was almost as if her library was a garden it was so fragrent and sweet. "You're sure he'll like me uncle? The other courts fear mine so I wonder. I doubt at all that he will." She said softly, her bell like voice full of sadness.

The dark court had been more or less ostracized from the others for as long as she could remember. They feared her court for they are the silent assassins of the 5 courts, the ones who are not afraid to get their hands dirty. Humans who know of their exisitance call them seelie, but that isn't the case. While the dark fae can be very cruel and malicious when then see fit, that is not what they are at all. Most dark fae are the kindest, loyalist people to ever live. She hoped she could get Kaleb to see that things are not always as they appear.

Kaleb and his father appeared in the hall outside the Library. "King Ulric and Prince Kaleb here to see the queen," his father said to the poor attendant that was startled by their sudden appearance. "Yes m'lord this way they are expecting you" he said and ushered Kaleb and his father into the library. "Lord Ulric Arascain the Mighty, King of the Summer Court, and his son Prince Kaleb Arascain the Verdent Prince and magus of the Summer Court," the little attendant announced as Kaleb and his father entered the room.

Kaleb looked around quickly until his gaze fell upon the queen, 'this is the queen, why she's beautiful' he thought to himself. "Your majesty" his father said and they both bowed. "Thank you for seeing us so quickly, we are eager to see this great alliance between our two mighty clans come to fruition, allow me to present my son, Prince Kaleb" he added and pushed Kaleb forward. Kaleb kissed the queen's hand and bowed "Your majesty" he said, his voice a soft as a thrushes song, "a great pleasure to make your acquaintance" he added as he stood. 'she miht be beautiful but she's still Dark Court fae! I can't let my guard down' he thought as he looked away, not fully meeting the queen gaze for fear his eyes would reveal too much.

Krystal watched the two fae with increased curiosity. It had been a long time since she had seen someone othet than her court or the few mortal friends she held dear. She gave them each a smile, bowing before walking closer to the king and his son. "Yes, this shall be a wonderful alliance. Our ciurts will be stronger than ever. I do hope the other courts do not shun you for doing this, King Ulric. They do not like my court, despite not understanding it." She explained, smiling just a little sadly, het glacial blue eyes showing the many millennium's long ostrasician of her court. If either Prince or king were to look closely, they'd see just how much ut pained her.

Krystal didn't need to see his eyes to realize how scared of her he was. She smiled lightly, bowing back at them again, taking in a few unnoticed breaths. "A pleasure to meet you too, Prince Kaleb. You both may simply call me Krystal. After 2 millenia of being called "your highness" I prefer those who are and hopefully will be close simply call me by name." She explained with a small smile, bowing again to show she meant no disrespect. She was simply a bit more relaxed when it came to formalities. Krystal was a free spirit, always taking every moment like it could be her last. She didn't bother with most formalities so shebcoild truly enjoy life, and live it to its fullest like her parents would have wanted her to. She never takes anything for granted, and hopes only for a day when the stigma against her court will be lifted.

"This alliance will help bring the Dark Court into the light," King Ulric said. Kaleb remained silent until nudged by his father. "A gift, for you my queen" Kaleb said and held out a small chain. He then wrapped his free hand around the chain and pulled it was and the chain transformed into a gorgeous silver necklace with a large blue star sapphire. "The star of Summer" Kaleb continued, "This necklace, the traditional gift to the betrothed of the Summer Court's royal family." he said and held the necklace out to put on Krystal.

The king chuckled and grinned then looked at the butler "Perhaps I could be shown my room to allow these two young lovebirds some time alone to get to know each other" he said in a tone that was a mix of pleasantry and authority.

Krystal nodded, eyes showing slight sadness. "I can only hope, your highness. I wish only for the happiness of my court." She told him softly, voice laced with emotions untold. She watched as Kaleb held out the chain, impessed and in awe of the beautiful necklace being presented to her by him. She blushed, giving him a small smile as she pushed some of her long hair from her face. "Its just beautiful., thank you. It will be an honor to eear it." She told him, bowing slightly so he could put the necklace on. This was so very new for her.

Roreck nodded at King Ulrick. "Of course, your highness. Right this way." He said, bowing slightly as he lead the noble King to his room. It wasn't but a few doors down from the library, and have everything g a King could wish for, along with modern technology. Krystal liked to keep up with the times.

Once they had left, Krystal smiled softly, flicking her wrist and making a fire appear in the nearby hearth. She sat in a dark blue plush queen anne style chair, beconing for him to sit oppiste her. She twirled a few strands of hair around her finger, expression showibg she was busy trying to think of something to say. She looked at him, a sadness to her delicate features even though she smiled, a question on her lips. "You don't want to do this do you?" She asked softly, a quiet vulnerability in her tkne and features that showed she understood, even if it secretly hurt her feelings.

Kaleb watched his father leave then turned his attention to his would-be bride. As she lit the fire with a flick of her hand, Kaleb grinned, 'so the dark thinks to play at my tricks' he thought, his grin widening. Kaleb walked over and join the Dark queen, taking a seat in the chair opposite her. He sat rigid and broad straight in the chair, not allowing himself to show any sign of weakness in the armor of formality he shrouded himself in. As they sat the awkward silence grew until the queen bluntly asked him about the marriage. Stunned and unsure how to answer the awkward silence grew even more before Kaleb finally mustered the courage to answer.

"In truth, no." He said calmly, "It's not that you are not beautiful, I mean, even the gem you now wear around your neck pales in comparison to your splendor." he added and blushed, "It's just not how I expected to fin a wife. Tell me, you must feel the same? We don't even know each other," he said turning to face the queen head on. "But I will not back out of the marriage, too much is riding on our courts union and I am sure in time we will learn to like one another"

Krystal sat in her chair in a pretzel fashion, shoes sitting next to the fireplace. Her skirt covered most of her legs, but if he looked closer, he would be able to see her tastful black lacey panties. She let out a soft breath as she made a table, tea, and cookies appear in between them, giving him a small soft chuckle at his honesty. Fae had always been incapable of lying, but still it was refreshing. Being with those of her own kind was change for sure.

Krystal flushed a bit at his words, taking a sip of tea to hide how it made her pale cheeks light up like Christmas. She smiled at him kindly. "I can certainly understand your veiws. Arranged marriage can be difficult. My reasoning for being hesitant is much different than yours though, I think." She said softly, taking another sip of her tea. The taste for some reason had always kept her calm. She took in a breath, her whole body tensing for only a moment, then it was stopped. "Have you ever wanted to get so close to someone, but couldn't? Every time I trybto grt close to someone, they die. I don't want to see anymore people lie or die, for something I did. I judt want peace, ptince." She told him, sighing doftly.

Kaleb took a cup of tea and sipped it as he waited for the queen to respond. The tea was one he had not had in many years, at least not since his mother died, and the taste brought back many happy memories. As the queen spoke, Kaleb was relieved to hear she had reservations as well to the marriage, although her revelation that those who got close to her usually ended up dying was unsettling, to say the least. "Unfortunately, m'lady, I have not had the time nor freedom for couirtship. I was always kept busy with studies and never had the chance to form many attachments, let alone have anything close to a love affair," he said surprised at his openness about his love life. "I guess my father always figured I would make a good bargaining chip for alliances within the courts" he added chuckling.

As he spoke he watched the queen closely and noticed how she tried to hide her emotions, and did a very good job at it. His eyes scanned over her looking for any trace of a chink in the armor she was using to guard herself from disappointment. 'Guess we are more alike then I would have ever figured. Both of us have erected so many walls it would take the combined armies of the five courts to storm our keeps and find our true selves.' he thought as he sipped his tea again.

Krystal nodded. "I can understand. when I was young, my uncle made me study day in and day out. I had tutors in everything, and almost never went outside. In retrospect I imagine it was because he wanted to keep me safe from he assassins trying t kill me, but it was a very lonely existence. it wasn't until WWII that I fell in love. he was a sergeant in the 107th infantry, and so very handsome and kind. he was killed in action though. I still miss him.: she admitted, and you could see the anguish in her eyes as she explained. She had been so in love with James, she thought he might've been her soulmate. It wasn't meant to be though, or she would not be wearing this sapphire 70 years later. She could admit too, that he reminded her a bit of him. She could see all the good in him, and hoped he would be able to see the same in her.

Krystal took a sip of her tea before she handed Kaleb a long thin box. Inside it carried a intricately carved silver, sapphire and ruby dragon bracelet. This was the sign that he was hers, now part of the dark court, her court. "A gift for you, Prince. the symbol of my court, charmed with the most powerful protection magic my court has to offer. no harm will ever come to you as long as you wear that" she promised, and he would be able to see her silent worry for him in her eyes she always worried about people close to her getting her, whether they are her betrothed or not.

Kaleb's heart ached, not only to have know love but to have lost in in such a tragic way, Kaleb could understand how Krystal would guard herself from such pain again. Kaleb was woken from his astonishment that the Dark queen had found love when she handed him an intricately decorated box. Slowly lifting the lid, Kaleb saw the elaborate bracelet. Struck by the craftsmanship of such a trinket and the pulse of magic he could feel emanating from the bracelet, Kaleb carefully took the bangle and listened as she explained what the bracelet was, his gut panged as she said it would mark him as Dark Court. He was the prince of Summer, would marrying this queen mean he would now and forever be just the Dark Queen's consort and never again be of the Summer Sidhe? Pushing such thoughts from his mind he wrapped it around his wrist and snapped the clasp closed. He would always be Summer fae, no matter what jewelry he wore, nothing could change that. Wishing to test the strength of Dark Court magic, Kaleb reached out with his mind and brushed against the power in the bracelet. It was strong, Summer magic could be seen as stronger but this bracelet would be a great boon in conflict, which could happen at anytime in the world of the Dark.

"Thank you Krystal," Kaleb said dropping the formality of calling her "you majesty" as she had requested. "It is beautiful" he added and admired the wristlet as it glinted in the fire light. "the protection is greatly appreciated, and should you ever need assistance the Star of Summer will bring a mighty force to bear in your plight. Birds, beasts even the trees, all of nature will answer the call of the one who wears that gem," he said with a grin "my mother used to call the Wood Thrush to sing us to sleep at night," he added looking into the fire and smiling. Snapping out of his reprieve, Kaleb looked around the room, "So this is the human side, in truth I have not ventured to this side of the veil in almost 600 years," he said, "how do you stand the constant nooise and the shiver of the humans' greed and pollution in the air?" he asked

Krystal smiled softly, a small blush on her face. "I crafted it myself. it is my own personal touch." she admitted, shifting slightly in her chair. It was kind of embarrassing, but she relished giving gifts, particularly ones she had crafted with her own two hands. she had learned many things in her millennium long studying, everything from magic, to craftsmanship of jewelry to how to fight. She had mastered 30 different disciplines of martial arts, as well as fae tactics of her court and that of her uncles. She was a very formidable opponent when she felt the need to fight. Krystal gave him a smile. "I appreciate the protection. one never knows what might happen in my court. I may be well loved by the large percentage of my court, there are still those who wish to kill me ad seize my throne" she admitted with a sad sigh, wishing t wasn't like that. She just for the good and happiness of her court, no matter what.

Krystal let out a hearty chuckle at his next question. "it is not as bad as all that. While there is greed on this side of the veil, I find that here the pollution is low. The forest I picked to keep my caste is the most pure place on this earth. It is a magical point of power as well. None with evil intent may set foot here." she explained, giving him a smile. She had erected strong walls around her home so not to make her court suffer. Her only thoughts were about the good of her court, and she hoped that this union would remove the stigma of her court from the others. "I like the human side of the veil. it is full of amazing things, such as technology, different types of music, cars, and my personal favorite, motorcycles. If you enjoy horseback riding, you would like this. it is pretty much he same concept, only a motorcycle can go much faster than a horse. I could tech you, if you'd like. " she offered, smiling a little.

Kaleb looked at the bracelet again with a greater sense of awe, knowing that it was crafted by the queen herself. "Summer Court kitsune could not have crafted better," he said knowing that even among the other courts, Summer Court kitsune were renowned for their skill as craftsman and jewellers. "Humans are empty and hollow creatures that strive only to fill the widening void in themselves with more and more," Kaleb said his expression darkening. Then he snapped out of his darkness, "wait you ride machines? Really? How do you ride a machine, there is no bond, no connection between you and...IT" he said confused, "and if you think this machine is fast? You have obviously never been astride a Summer Court stag, they are faster then any beast." Kaleb said grinning. "Perhaps a race to pit human progression against fae tradition?" he added excited at the thought of some action amid the cloying stifle of the pomp and pageantry of this arrangement.

Krystal smiled a little. "Its an honor to even be compared to a summer court kitsune. They are amazing craftmen indeed." She said, before she frowned. Not all mortals were like that. She hoped to shown him that once they got to know each other better. She let out a small chuckle as she nodded. "Yes, I do. Its quite enjoyable actually, though nothing compares to the dragon my uncle gave me as a child. Saphira is the only friend I have had my whole life." She admitted, smiling as she thought of her sapphire blue dragon, hoping she would have a chance to ride her again soon. Krystal's smile turnedbto a smirk at his suggestion of a race. She loved showing off what she could do on a motorcycle. "Sounds like a fun challage. We can do that soonbif you'd like, then, how about we ride the dragons?" She offered, thinking he might find that enjoyable as well.

"dragons? I have not ridden a dragon in many a winter moon, not since the last great human war anyway. That would be very enjoyable." Kaleb said. "And I look forward to racing your majesty," he added with a grin. In all his wildest imaginings, Kaleb never would have thought that this meeting would have gone this well. Kaleb loved riding and a race would be great fun, not to mention that Krystal had dragons to ride a rare treat indeed.

Krystal smiled, pleased ge would be interested in riding. "I haven't ridden in a long time either, though I do not think it was as long ago as that." She explained simply, just watching him. She was very curious of this fae noble, abd wanted to know as much about him as possible. She always found various types of competition to be very telling about people. Krystal let out a small chuckle. "Yes, it shall be lots of fun. But please, just Krystal. I prefer you call me that." She said with another smike, dipping her tea. Things were going well so far and she was relieved, but still couldn't feel like she could relax. She wanted him to see more of her true self first.

Back
Top Bottom