Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Do you like to do historical period rp's?

ShadowsLitany

Lurker in the Shadows
Supporter
Just for discussion,and to share...

What do you like about them?
Favorite historical periods?
Hardest/easiest thing about them?

As for me:

Do you like to do historical period rp's? Yes, very much. Tends to be most of the ones I do successfully.

What do you like about them? Since I am here more of less to escape from day to day its the idea of being in some place very different than I am in now. Sex is sort of the icing on my historical cake. I also like learning a bit more, since I add realism to my rp's finding out about a Medieval Wedding menu, the types of toga's that men in ancient Rome wore (didn't know they had colored edges for class). It also allows me to delve more into my fascination with history, my second hobby after writing/rp-ing.

Favorite historical periods? Medieval as well as Revolutionary America, though I am fairly well versed in most

Hardest/easiest thing about them? Easiest is getting into the thought patterns, as the times can be simpler its not that difficult to get into the mindset. The hardest part is dwelling within the norms and mores of the time, since those are changeable.

I do love a good historical rp, even a fantasist medieval one can be fun, or a fandom one based in history. They definitely break out of the norm for me, but being a lover of historical fiction, and reading a lot of it, I don't find it difficult to pull something together, or in some cases know what questions I need to ask to add a little spice to the rp so it feels as if its in the time.

For that wikipedia is your friend.

Do you like to do historical period rp's? My favorite genre and almost all of my longest running role plays are in a historical setting.

What do you like about them? I like getting to go back into a different period in time. I've often joked with family and friends that I was born in the wrong century. To me, although I love them, the modern conveniences of life have somewhat taken the purpose out of life; hardly anyone has to hunt or grow their food, or build their homes, or go to war to defend themselves... We take things for granted.

Favorite historical periods? Anything before the 1800s. I love ancient Rome and Greece, ancient Egypt, feudal Japan, the medieval period of Europe and the Renaissance, and good lord don't get me talking about the viking ages. x3 I'll role play nearly anything after 1950 but I prefer playing in periods when battles were fought with swords instead of guns.

Hardest/easiest thing about them? The only hard part about these role plays is finding someone who enjoys them as much as you do, especially finding someone who wants to role play the same time period. It's like pulling teeth to find someone to play Attila the Hun to my Honoria. Everything else is easy as pie.

-Yes, a good deal actually, as I enjoy history as a whole.

What do you like about them?
The fact that you are writing about a different world, that you get out of the normal of the moment and look back a a different period of time. It is a lot more fun to write about an different age when the world worked a quite a bit differently then it does today. Guns make action scenes way less fun to write especially modern guns.

Well pretty much any and all from Ancient Athens, to Ancient Rome, to Middle Ages Anglo Saxion England, and Charlemangean Europe, to Middle Ages Constantinople to the Crusades, the 100 years war, Feudal Japan, Three Kingdoms China, Age of Exploration in North America, Colonization of the New Word, etc.

Well a lot of these are actually hard to find rps for or people interested in setting up an rp for, the easy part well is normally the rp when you have it going.

I despise historical rps, for one simple reason. Too much research, I have delved into history with such a passion, as it does have a lot of wonderfully interesting moments, that I just can not muck about with it. The idea of getting details wrong appals me and destroys my interest in it the more I learn. And I will not stop learning about it.

However, I am perfectly alright with using history as inspiration. As it is very valuable in my little niche of medieval/renaissance fantasy in providing me with the tools to make a very rich culture and history. My favoured periods seem to be approaching the early modern period with The Italian Wars, the 30 Year War and the Spanish Moors taking centre stage. Though I will always be inspired by the Bizantines with their courtly intrigues and Charlamagne and his knights.

My love for history prevents me from actually playing in it; but take the basic concepts and toss then into another world and I'm free. Free to twist and re-arrange things and watch the dominoes fall as they may.

As with Nihilistic, I generally don't write them because of the research required. Whilst the concept has many attractions, I don't possess the historical knowledge, and if I were to write one, I'd want to make it as authentic as possible, and need to get past the road-block in my mind that says, "you don't know anything about this, you're going to make a fool of yourself".

I attempted one; a Second World War scenario, where I was to play a German Commander in Occupied France, and after receiving the starter post from my partner, I had to say, "I can't do this", as all these questions that I didn't have the answers for popped into my head when I went to respond: "Where did they reside, what vehicles did they drive, what did their Uniforms look like, what medals did he display, what weapons did he carry, what ranks were his adjutants, was he accompanied by bodyguards/protection?", and many more.

Having said that, I've promised one of my partners that after our current story is finished, our next will be an Historical Scene; as I know she enjoys them; so will be interested to see how that goes, but am looking forward to it as I'm already comfortable in writing with her, and in how we mesh. I also do have another going now, which is set in old times, but I wouldn't classify as Historical as the time period/setting is largely irrelevant to the actual plot.

I'm in a somewhat similar camp as Nihil and Quix, in that I don't enjoy them because there's a lot of work involved(which is also why I don't really engage in too many futuristic or fantasy either because of the world-building involved), or at least, there's this perception that if you're going to have a character in that time period, then they gotta know their shit; they have to act like they're from that period. You can't have a Celtic era Scotsman saying things like "dude". It breaks the immersion for all of those involved.

Then again, it's been many years since I've tried doing one and I think if I got it in my head to just play the role, focusing on the characters and the events, rather than so much on the setting, then it would be possible and I could have fun doing it(especially if my partner was of a similar mindset and didn't crawl up my ass about inaccuracies). Even recently in Into the Night Land, I'm having to go back and edit out all of the instance of them using a "rifle" because what they actually had is a shotgun and... I thought those were synonyms(don't judge me, omg). While playing it though, you just want to forget about those small details, like what the uniform looks like exactly, what the language was like exactly, and I think that a lot of times, I could be wrong, nobody really gives a shit.

Like, something I've always wanted to do but because of a lack of knowledge on the subject, I've felt too insecure, is a World War era military homo erotica. I love that brutish masculinity, the grittiness of it, the casual brotherhood of being in the same unit, working as a team, boot camp, firing weapons, saving each others lives, etc. But like the example I gave above, all guns kinda look the same to me: small one, medium one, long one, thick one that you rest on your shoulder and it goes "BOOM!"). In this kind of situation, the history isn't the important part. It would barely mention whatever enemy they're fighting, whether it's Nazis, Russians, Vietnamese, whatever; the weaponry isn't the important part; the vehicles aren't the important part. It's the flavor of that particular type of male bonding that doesn't really happen in any other setting, and there is something so much more brutal about the World War and Vietnam War eras than more modern wars. I, personally, feel there is less glamor in recent films about Desert Storm and the like.

So, I think the potential to enjoy them is there but merely as a backdrop for characters that are influenced by the period but not necessarily beholden to it.

Do you like to do historical period rp’s?

No. I agree with the above posters. There is too much research and too much that I could, and would, mess up. I already look up certain things if I want my rp to have a smooth feel to it. If I want what I’m doing to be believable, and I’m not sure if my ideas will work, then I look it up. When writing Acquisitions, I wanted to see how my character could in fact get out of a garage in the situation she was in. So I did some looking around and found what I ended up doing. It was completely believable, and it worked. With a period rp, I don’t want to describe the clothing wrong or say that my character used something they didn’t have then. I don’t want to get the politics wrong or simply how things were done. Rps are suppose to be fun, and when I have to do a ton of research and worry if I’m getting it correct, then it’s not fun anymore.

I will say this though. I am currently giving a period rp a try. It's been going on for over a year now. I gave it a try because I really wanted to work with this man, and it was his idea. So I figured what the hey. I went out of my comfort zone, and we're still rping it. I'm glad he handles certain details about the rp.

Do you like to do historical period rp's? Yes, I love them. I write to escape reality and what better place to go than to the sometimes glorious and sometimes not so glorious past?

What do you like about them? I find swords to be way more gangster than guns. Where else can you look a man in the eye as you are about to take his life? Any fool can fire a gun, but it takes skill to use a blade. Violence aside, I do enjoy the simple differences of those eras. Sometimes life was simple, rudimentary, but simpler. Interactions were more real, no technology to drain out the art of conversation. Sometimes it was more complex, with traditions and customs that modern civilizations do not adhere to. This also served to create various points of contention and drama, which I love to include in my RPs. Civilization clashes are always fun as well, when two great cultures or powers collide and the differences between them have to be overcome when two characters meet and develop a relationship. I like pets as well, and owning a horse in a RP allows me to indulge in that as well. Using different color for languages and such also adds a bit depth to the RP in my mind, if one employs more than one character in a RP. But overall, as a fan of history, its the differences from present day and then that I love to explore.

Favorite historical periods? Anything from ancient Babylon to World War Two, though I haven't done much RPs set after 1453 (Fall of Constantinople and generally considered to be the end of the Middle Ages). My favorite eras would be Ancient Rome, Viking era, Europe/Middle East during the Crusades, and Mongol invasions.

Hardest/easiest thing about them? I do agree that historical accuracy can be a chore. Pictures often help cover descriptions, but I do not think the RP should be made or broken in this regard at all. I guess the hardest thing is research, but I love learning and discovering new things about history and civilizations so it isn't necessarily a bad thing for me.

To each his own, I guess.

I do love historical period RPs. I'm a bit of a history addict, so its sort of a given for me, but I still think they can be very exciting and interesting.

Unlike a lot of people, I like the later periods a lot more. I do have a soft spot for the Crusades (culture clash is great), but really I love end of the 19th century and early 20th century. I tend to shy away from anything WW2 related - I always find it a little creepy that so many people seem interested in the Nazi guy-Jewish girl dynamic. No offense if you like that sort of thing, but its always a little unsettled me.

I like unusual settings. Exotic areas, like Russia, China and Japan are very exciting in this period, as is South America.

Generally, though, I'll give any historical period a go.

Unlike some of the people above, I really don't think you need that much research into a period to think about it. Accuracy problems can be annoying but, having worked on history for years, I've found out that the real life past is more surprising than you could ever imagine. People were strange and jarring and weird in the past, and there's no reason you can't channel this into the past.

The trick here is a reasonable level of consideration. Obvious, as Quinn says, its weird if a 12th century Scot calls someone dude. But does it matter if he wears tartan (which wasn't really invented until the 19th century really)? I don't think so. Likewise I wouldn't have sweated the rifle/shotgun thing. But I appreciate that, for some, that ruins the immersion.

I suppose what helps for me is that if you are playing Royalty/nobles/significant people then of course more research is needed. But the more ordinary your people from the past get, and the further back in time you go, the less we know about them as historians. That gives you more room. There's a danger in getting obsessed over what sort of shoes a soldier in Washington's Army might wear that is in no way relevant to whether he is trying to seduce a young British girl.

Anyway, I love historical RPs! So if anyone reading this fancies one, I'm going to shamelessly plug the link to my request thread below. Or just PM me!

I concern myself more with geographical and political details. Because once you start mucking up the time line you're into alt history and I'm not so much a fan of that genre.

Still world building for a fictional setting is a lot more entertaining because you can plunder history for ideas then making sure I dot all my i's and cross my t's.

I find it odd that the biggest stumbling block most people have is the research. I'm a stickler for accuracy, for the most part, so like Mr. Quixotic if I wasn't as accurate as I could be then I would feel I cheated my partner. For a medieval wedding scene I looked up menus for weddings in medieval times, looked at what was available and came up with something I thought worked, but that is me. Alt History is fine, or even thread it if you need to do so, but how accurate you are depends on your partner and you. I've been capable enough to get through it all with my own reading of history, historical literature, and movies of the times - where I know what is or is not accurate. Then again like writing its a hobby so even if I delve into it, I am happy to do so.

I can be as accurate, or not, as I need to be without worrying about it.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
Still world building for a fictional setting is a lot more entertaining because you can plunder history for ideas then making sure I dot all my i's and cross my t's.
Right there, that's the best way to do it. History is rich, like a pudding, or ice cream. Take what you want, add your own toppings and make it your own.

Personally, when I need to do so, this is the way I go. All I do is add a little detail here or there to add some time period to the story and stay away from anything that is unneeded.

Nice to hear everyone's viewpoints. Thanks for sharing.

True historicals honestly terrify for the same reasons as mentioned above. However, I'm all right doing alternate history or bending rules by delving into steampunk. When it comes to alternate histories, I do have very specific periods that I'll broach--Ancient Greece/Rome, Viking Age, Pioneers/Old West, French Revolution, Middle Ages and Regency.

One of the reasons I'm against alt-histories is that most people just don't consider all the ramifications of the changes they make, so the setting often ends up feeling shallow and fake to me.

I'm also annoyed by steampunks neo-colonialism and whitewashing of the horrors the victorian/edwardian age actually inflicted upon people. And it is usually not punk at all.

This is quite true if you get into something that delves into politics or wars or what have yous. I try to stay away from that because I find it too cumbersome. At that point I'd rather create my own world and history and add dashes of this and that for flare, which I lean more toward on the whole. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I broached a historical. Oh wait...about 3 years ago. French Revolution. I believe it's the only one I've done too. Lol. I tend toward fantasy, scifi and cyberpunk type stories the most.

Ahh, but I love those two, politics and war. They are what I desire most, that big picture out look of larger then life individuals making decisions that will effect hundreds of thousands. It's just easier to place it within a fictional setting because there you don't have a road map and things can get rather interesting.

As can be readily noticed I favour fantasy heavily. Though I've been willing to dabble with some pulpy science fantasy with an interesting setting.

XD Oh I know you do and agree it's far easier when the setting is your own and either of the fantasy or scifi genres. Plus, it's so much more fun to create your own rather than be restricted by what happened at a particular time. I might be fascinated by an era, but I know my preferences as well as my strengths and weaknesses. <3

darkangel76 said:
XD Oh I know you do and agree it's far easier when the setting is your own and either of the fantasy or scifi genres. Plus, it's so much more fun to create your own rather than be restricted by what happened at a particular time. I might be fascinated by an era, but I know my preferences as well as my strengths and weaknesses. <3

I'm cool with altering history a bit for the sake of a good story. And for not being fully accurate, so long as it's believable.

There's just something about being able to suit up in armor or following particular etiquette or behavior or not having the ability to call someone up on the phone that is sometimes appealing.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
I'm also annoyed by steampunks neo-colonialism and whitewashing of the horrors the victorian/edwardian age actually inflicted upon people. And it is usually not punk at all.

This is, actually, something I agree with. I find a lot of the rather ephemeral history involved in steampunk a little uncomfortable at times. Its cherry-picking of a very complicated time period.

I do quite like alternative history, but I do agree with you that it takes a special partner to think about all of the changes and consequences. And doesn't always work with the sort of romance/sex plots that I play out on Bluemoon.

Reydan said:
Nihilistic_Impact said:

This is, actually, something I agree with. I find a lot of the rather ephemeral history involved in steampunk a little uncomfortable at times. Its cherry-picking of a very complicated time period.

I do quite like alternative history, but I do agree with you that it takes a special partner to think about all of the changes and consequences. And doesn't always work with the sort of romance/sex plots that I play out on Bluemoon.

I'm totally fine with cherrypicking and whitewashing if my partner is okay with it. If my partner wants something more nuanced that is fine too. My job is political, and often involves knowing how sausages get made in the kitchen, so historical rps are for me fun escapes from reality.

It's a more "controlled" reality than "pure" fantasy but I still want to escape.

Alatriste said:
I'm totally fine with cherrypicking and whitewashing if my partner is okay with it. If my partner wants something more nuanced that is fine too. My job is political, and often involves knowing how sausages get made in the kitchen, so historical rps are for me fun escapes from reality.

It's a more "controlled" reality than "pure" fantasy but I still want to escape.

See, thats interesting, because my job involves working with history on regular basis and I too am well aware of how the sausages get made, but end up with a different reaction to some of it.

Although, like you, I don't mind the odd cherry picking. Its more the wider scope of steampunk that I have a problem with, as I feel that as a movement as a whole it isn't as much a cherrypick as a consistent re-imagining of the 19th century without any of the problems and difficulties. Sad thing is, some of those are the things that make the period so interesting and provide the best settings for RPs.

There is just a level of respect I hold for history, because I enjoy looking back and seeing how the decisions of the past lead to today. Sure for a purely fluff smut rp it doesn't matter so much; but that's shit to me. I spit on it, and have no interest in doing something so droll. Give me my history in all it's horribleness, let me revel in the sieges of the Duke of Parma during the 80 Year War. Or failing that in something inspired by them in a completely fictional setting were I feel I can breath and alter things.

The only steampunk novel I've ever read that I considered actual punk with the Difference Engine.

I do not have a job involved with politics or history, and I find these details important as a lay studier of history.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
There is just a level of respect I hold for history, because I enjoy looking back and seeing how the decisions of the past lead to today. Sure for a purely fluff smut rp it doesn't matter so much; but that's shit to me. I spit on it, and have no interest in doing something so droll. Give me my history in all it's horribleness, let me revel in the sieges of the Duke of Parma during the 80 Year War. Or failing that in something inspired by them in a completely fictional setting were I feel I can breath and alter things.

The only steampunk novel I've ever read that I considered actual punk with the Difference Engine.

I do not have a job involved with politics or history, and I find these details important as a lay studier of history.

Eh, in the end to each his or her own. I quite enjoy history when it comes to books, films, etc, I actually got a degree in it once upon a lifetime. And in my job it greatly informs what I do, sausage-making or no.

But when it comes to rps I just don't let anything get in the way of my escapism.

I have D&D for that, even if it is informed by my understanding of history. So I don't need to muck about with our own timeline and can just make my own.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
I have D&D for that, even if it is informed by my understanding of history. So I don't need to muck about with our own timeline and can just make my own.

True enough. But sometimes mucking with the timeline, or re-interpreting history, is what people find fun. It's certainly the case with me.

Alatriste, I think you and I have a lot of the same views when it comes to historicals. I do tend to stay away from things (ie events, etc) that might bog down a timeline too much or just create an alternate one just for fun. As for the steampunk way of the things, I'm more a fan of the post apocalyptic re-emergence of the Victorian riddled with a dash of this tech and that. So you don't get the history so much, but more of the nuances of an era instead. : )

Back
Top Bottom