Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In the Apocalypse (Niksis x Serene)

Niksis

Who even reads this?
Serene said:
Name: Katarina Arielle Yash. Goes by "Kat", sometimes just called "K".

Appearance:
arianne_by_julezz30-d4qf57d.jpg

Personality: She is wary of trusting anyone, typical of people in this new world. She's fierce and can be sarcastic...but once she feels comfortable around someone, she is loyal and genuine. She has a good heart, and shows kindness when she feels necessary. Once you get to know her, you realize that she's not as distant as she tries to appear to be. Though she's a sweet person at heart, it takes trust to see that.

Backstory: Most of this will be revealed in the RP. She was separated from her twin brother about 1 and a half years ago. He is her only surviving family. Her only missions in life are survive and find Kade, her brother.

--
There it is! I wrote this in first person, but if you are more comfortable with third person...I'll change it in the next post! I'm okay with either. Hopefully this is okay, I wanted to give a base of what my character looked like in this post. Let me know if you need me to change anything.

Dusk.

The evenings are so much stiller than they used to be. Without the people, there is only quiet. And without my brother, there is also no one to speak to. It's maddening sometimes, how motionless everything is. I exist in my own bubble of solitude. Part of me relishes in this time, where I have no one to watch but myself. Most of me just needs to find my family.

Surviving another day, finding my twin, hunting a meal. These are usually the main three things that occupy my mind all of the time. Right now is no different. I'm in the middle of what was once a sprawling city. The buildings are now abandoned. There's a truck turned on its side, an old 1994 Ford Explorer. I crouch next to it, pausing to see if I can move on. The smell of aged gasoline is overwhelming. I ache to be back in the forest.

I have a Fox Exagon knife clenched in one hand, my old tan field jacket in the other. The fabric of my black tank top is dusty with debris, my dark jeans torn at the knees and fraying from various incidents, and my combat boots are scuffed with travel. The glory of traveler attire. My hair is folded into a long braid that is thrown over my shoulder, reaching my elbows. There was too much we all had to sacrifice after the outbreak. Having my hair gave me some semblance of normalcy. One thing I won't give up.

My gaze sweeps the silent street, feeling eclipsed in solitude. My ears are listening for something, anything. There could be anyone combing the roads...stragglers, looters, gang members, Infected. The only way to get through is to not trust anyone. Less chance of someone killing you in your sleep.

Niksis said:
Name: Jonas Sawyer

Appearance: Jonas Sawyer

Personality: Jonas is the type of neighbour who would go out of his way to help his fellow man. It had also been this personality that had led him into becoming a paramedic. While not a full doctor, he was studying for it before the outbreak. Now there's only one life he's actively trying to save, that of his daughter, Alice.

Backstory: Jonas was a Paramedic studying to become a real doctor when the outbreak happened. Having lived a peaceful life with his wife and daughter. Something happened that Jonas is reluctant to talk about, something that left the once happy familly one member down and another infected. That's right, Alice was infected with whatever the outbreak is, however for whatever reason, she's shown no sings of turning, yet.

-----------------------------------

My breath is ragged and heavy, my hands tremble and I feel the adrenaline pumping through me as if my life depended on it. Taking a deep breath I finally open my eyes and see the blood, slowly dripping from the tip of my louisville slugger, my signed baseball bat which had proved highly effective in protecting myself and my daughter time and again. This was no different. We had been asleep in an abandoned gas station, trying to get some rest before we continued on our way when I had heard the shuffle of someone moving about. That had been when I saw him, looking through our stuff. I never got a chance to ask him what he was doing, instead I swung my wooden bat as hard as I could, which had knocked him out cold.

"Is he dead, dad?" I heard Alice ask from around the corner. I really didn't know if he was, he shouldn't be as I didn't hit that hard, but again, the lack of proper food and water had left many a looter, myself and my daughter included, weaker and thinner. Our muscles and bodies wasn't as sturdy as they used to be. "I don't know sweety. Stay back." I ordered my daughter, just in case as I went over to check on the body. And just as Alice had asked, the hard hit to the back of the head must have broken it as the looter was as dead as dead could be in these times of zombies and what not.

Taking another deep breath, I lower myself to wipe my bat off in the looters shirt, no sense to keep the blood on there. "He's dead, are you alright?" I asked Alice, slumping down against one of the walls. My black cargo pants had been covered in some of the blood from the guy, as well as my black hoodie. Sighing deeply I look over to the most precious thing in my life, the one thing worth fighting for, Alice. "Grab our stuff, we have to move before more show up." I speak with a sense of urgency. While most looters work alone, it's impossible to know if more might show up, and while I had spent some time in the gym before all of this, it had been awhile ago.

And just as I had asked, Alice returned ready to go. In the old world, seeing a man being beaten to death with a baseball bat would most certainly have affected a 10 year old. And it worried me slightly that Alice did not seem to be affected by it one bit. Had her innocent childish view on the world finally been broken and warped? Or did she just not understand what had just happened. It really didn't matter right now, the only thing that did was moving on and getting away.

I allowed us to stay for another minute or two as I looked through the dead looters belongings, not that he had much on him, but everything could help. Meanwhile Alice had returned, backpack and everything. Finding nothing on the looter, I walked over and slung my large backpack over my shoulder and made our way onwards.

That was a few hours ago, now. Now Alice and myself as walking down the road looking for a better place to settle for the night. That was when we noticed it, a 1994 Ford Explorer turn on it's side. Immediately I took a firmer grip around my bat and lowered my voice "Keep your eyes open". It made for a perfect ambush spot, however we had to walk past it if we wanted to continue, so it was with careful steps, that I approached the car, eyes shooting from left to right, up and down looking for anything or anyone, ready for whatever might come.

Serene said:
The movement of rubble catches my ear. My senses are piqued in an instant. I won't outrightly just hurt someone, but I can do what I need to do. Overall, I prefer avoiding contact in general. Slowly, I slip my arms back into my field jacket, and zip up the front. I slip my second knife from it's place in my boot and lift my body barely past the side of the car to get a view on the road. That's when I see them. It's two figures moving closer to me. A man, maybe my age but probably older. His gaze is picking apart the environment. Dark hair and a beard, I think. But what surprises me isn't him. It's who he has with him.

The child looks young. I can't remember the last time I saw a kid out here. It's a strange sight to see. For the sake of that, I know that I want to leave them be. I feel a pang of sadness. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to grow up in this wasteland. Shaking my head, I grip my knives but lower them. I slowly begin backing away when my foot slips slightly on the rubble, causing metal debris to clang loudly against the side of the car.

"Damn it," I swear as the sound triggers the unmistakable scream of the Infected. I look around wildly, seeing a few of them round the corner. Despite their condition, they are fast. Hopping over the car, I run out in the street with my blades poised to kill.

"Look out!" I yell to the man in the street, as I begin to run towards the Infected. I yell it not for him, because I probably couldn't care less. But I give the warning because of the child. A fight was about to begin, and I can't help but hope that I'll have a bit of back up.

Niksis said:
Alice reached for her small knife. She had not had a need to use it yet but I insisted that she train with it, just in case. It made me both proud, and sad to see that despite her young age, Alice was very mature. Far more mature than a 10 year old should be, though of course, much like myself, she's the product of the world we live in. I mean, I had sworn to save people yet here I was, killing men for just touching my things.

With my trusted bat in hand, a vintage relic from before the apocalypse, I slowly made my way closer to the car. Holding my breath to better get a feeling for my surroundings I listed. Listened for something, anything that might give away what was up ahead. But I heard nothing, either there was no one or whoever might be there, knew how to stalk and remain hidden. Of course, all of my fears were made reality the moment I heard the shuffle of rocks followed by the distinct sound of something banging against the metal of the car. 'Fuck' I cursed silently. That would surely bring the infected and just as I had feared, I could hear the growling and shrieking coming from one of the nearby buildings.

Tightening my fingers around my bat, I bend my knees as prayed silently, hoping that there was only one, maybe two infected. While slower than a normal human, they were still fast. However with the range of my bat I could keep them at bay. What I had not expected, was a young girl springing from behind the car, knifes in hand. And seeing her charge towards me I instantly turned to defend myself and my daughter. However that's where I saw that she ran right past us and towards the infected.

It was then, that I realized what she was doing. She intended to actually fight these guys, alone if need be. "Fuck" this time I said it out loud. I just couldn't let her fight on her own, but then again, it was her own fault. She made the noise, she brought them upon us. "Fuck fuck fuck." Finally I turned to where I saw the Infected coming from, three of them. I looked over to Alice who were already prepared. She was not afraid, or at least, she had learned to not show it. I had told her time and time again that she should not show that she was afraid when near strangers. They would exploit it, use your fear against you. And at first Alice had not really understood what I had meant, she said as much, however as the weeks turned to months, she learned, she had to, to survive. And while she was not about to charge into the Infected with the same vigor as this strange woman, she was ready to defend herself with her combat knife.

"Stay here Alice!" I called out as I began my charge towards the infected as well. The young girl would need my help, considering she only had two knifes she would have to get close to them. Besides, I could always bandage her up later if she did get hit, barring any infections of course. With a firm grip around the wooden bat, I ran forward. Stepping on a rock protruding from the ground as I jumped towards one of the charging infected, swinging my bat with all of the strength I could muster. A swing that connected with the side of the creatures head and caused the tell-tale sound of a snapped neck to leave the crumbling body of the infected. Turning my attention to the other infected I see the strange woman who had charged past us busy with the other two.

Serene said:
The man has moved in my direction with a baseball bat...and thankful starts working on one of the Infected rather than me. A feel a stab of relief in the midst of my movements. Now I am powered solely on a mix of adrenaline and survival instinct. I turn on my heel towards the two Infected on my right. Their arms claw at me. I drop lower to the ground and swing my leg in an arc, knocking them off balance. One of them falls to the ground while the other stumbles backwards.

I am crouched by the fallen one. I sink one blade into his chest, and throw the other at the off balance Infected. It lands in his stomach, and he screeches. I pull the first knife from the chest of the fallen, and run towards the other one. I bury it in his chest, and pull both blades down. He falls without another screech.

The adrenaline is coursing through my veins, so much so that I can't even tell if I'm hurt or not. I'm standing, breathing hard and trying to catch my breath. After a moment, I silently retrieve my knives and quickly clean them off with a rag from my pocket. Turning to the man who just helped me, I lower my knives. Not offensive, just protective.

"I'm assuming since you just helped me, you aren't going to try and kill me?" I say to him, pushing hair from my face "Emphasis on try. Because you won't be able to. So don't try to,"

I slip the rag into my pack as I wait for his response, prepared to run if I need to. Whoever that younger girl was, she probably needs him. I don't want their blood on my hands.

Niksis said:
A smile was forming on my lips as I witnessed you quickly and efficiently dispatch the remaining two infected. Instantly I realized that this next few minutes would be critical in the continued survival of myself and Alice. This woman, this stranger was clearly skilled with her blades, of course, being on the run alone you would have to be. Compared to you, I would seem more brutish and sluggish, far from as elegant in my approach.

"So you intend on addressing that scratch by yourself?" I asked, she was tough. I could tell. However in her reckless acrobatics it would seem that something, or someone had scratched her. I didn't look bad, mind you, however in the world that we live in now, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I waited, curious to see her reaction. I had no intentions of fighting her, she seemed skilled with her knifes and even if I could kill her, she would get more hits in than was worth it. Besides, if she had not charged forward, those infected would have killed myself and my daughter. So fighting now, would be pointless.

"I'm a paramedic, we were looking for a place to camp for tonight, come, let me see that scratch." I tried, hoping that whatever adrenaline she was running on had died down, and she could see that we were not her enemies, yet.

Of course, that could change just as rapidly as the weather. If she proved to be a threat, I had to kill her. "Is it over?" Alice called from behind, I quickly turned and smiled to her, effectively turning my back to the stranger with the knives, my daughter was more important "Yes sweety, it's over. You were brave."

I glanced over at the woman behind me for a second, before I began to walk towards Alice, still holding my bloodied baseball bat in my hand, just in case. "What about her?" Alice asked as he motioned to the stranger with her knife, "Should we help her?" she continued. I really didn't know what to say. She was skilled with her knifes, that was for certain, but bringing her along would just be another mouth to feed. Add to that, the larger our group, the harder it would be to hide. Sighing deeply, I replied "We should help anyone who wants it, you know this dear."

Serene said:
Looking at him, Kat blinked at his mention of a scratch. Her body had been to focused on getting rid of the infected that she hadn't even noticed it. But sure enough, there was a flesh wound that extended from the corner of her collar bone to her shoulder. No Infected blood near it though, and that meant she wasn't Infected. Despite her relief, the adrenaline rush was fading. She was beginning to feel the burning ache of the wound.

It's not that she wasn't used to treating wounds herself, but if she moved her arm too much with this one...she might risk losing too much blood. It was a sticky situation. Kat eyed the man wearily, about to speak when the young girl appeared. He moved to her, addressing the child in lower tones. The way the girl gestured towards her with the knife made Kat stifle a smile of amusement. It reminded her of...well, herself.

While the child's presence eased her nerves a bit, she still felt on edge. She wondered if the man with her would be true to his word. If he was really a paramedic. And what would he want in return? Kat had traveled by herself for so long, she couldn't imagine having to watch the backs of two other people. But still, he had helped her. And that young girl was probably his daughter. A father didn't strike her as the type to lie blatantly in front of his child. Finally, she sighed. She wasn't going to be able to take care of the injury on her own. She needed help. But if he made one wrong move, she would be gone in an instant.

"Honestly," she said, wincing at the pain in her collarbone. "Yeah, I could use the help."

She took a step towards them, but didn't stand too close. Give them their space. "I have food. I can trade it for some medical assistance," she called, her voice strained.

Jonas looked wearily over his shoulder at Kat when she spoke up. He had sworn, oh so long ago, to save any life he could. However times had changed, people had changed and now everyone was on their own. He would have disbanded any notion of banding up in the past. It was just far too dangerous in the world they currently live in. People had turn selfish, part of him understood it, he had done so too. People were only out for themselves, or in his case, those he loved. However the stranger with the knives had proven her worth, at least she wouldn't be slowing them down. Well, she would now, but once her wounds been tended to, she should be able to carry her own weight. Even so, Jonas did not truly trust her, in fact, he didn't trust her at all. "Remember, you promised to heal people dad." Alice said behind him in a pleading voice. It had been so long since she had talked to anyone aside from Jonas. A sentence that made Jonas groan silently, "Yes, I remember dear." he replied back over his shoulder.

"Alright, but keep those knives in your belt where I can see them." Jonas said a little louder as he called over to where Kat was standing. He intended to help her, he had to, but at the same time he was worried what she might do once healed. Taking a huge gamble at a time he shouldn't, Jonas tugged his baseball bat back behind his large backpack to have both hands free. "After you." he then said. Judging from the direction she had come from, Jonas assumed she had been in the area for awhile, so perhaps she knew of a place that would be safe. Or at least, as safe as placed could be in these times. And since he and Alice had only just arrived, well, their guess would be as good as anyones.

"And don't worry about it, save the food. You'll need it." Jonas commented as he took a few careful steps towards Kat, one hand extended "Names Jonas. That is Alice, my daughter." he motioned to the young girl standing behind him, still knife in hand just in case who took a few steps closer to where Jonas and Kat was. Still slightly weary while at the same time impressed by this young woman who seemed to be killing zombies with ease. "What's your name miss?" she asked once she was close enough.

Kat glanced back to the girl, who approached her with wariness. She smiled easily and tucked her knives back into her boots, nodding her greetings. They were taking a risk in helping her, just as she would be taking a risk in going with them. Either way, she was appreciative.

"Nice to meet you, Jonas and Alice," she said easily. "I'm Katarina. Most people call me Kat, though."

She looked up towards to the sky for a moment, seeing it darken. Night would be here soon, and she didn't want to be out in the streets with limited vision. She'd been traveling across this city for about two days now. There was an abandoned motel down the street, one that they could hide in for the evening. Looking back over to the pair, she gestured to the sky.

"It's gonna be dark soon. I know a place where we can go," she said easily. "If it's all the same to you, I'd rather be patched up there than out here."

Kat couldn't say that she trusted these people. But she knew she could hold her own. Maybe she'd even ask them later if they had heard the name of her brother. Either way, she sensed no imminent harm. Only distrust.

Jonas considered this for a second or two before looking down at Alice, who in turn looked back up. Almost as if they had a silent conversation, the two eventually looked over at Kat. And while Jonas only offered a slight nod, still expecting the worst, Alice instead smiled and walked up and took Kat's hand. "Nice to meet you, Kat!"

Following a few steps behind, Jonas spoke up "Agreed, Motel is much better than out here." Granted, any place was better than being out at night. During the day, the Infected seemed more docile, less aggressive. However at night, that's where most of the attacks happened and everyone who braved the roads knew this. And judging from how rapidly it had turned dark, the night was only coming closer.

Keeping to the shadows, or rather, keeping close to the buildings as to not have such a big profile, the group slowly made their way through the ruins and eventually reached the outskirts of the Motel. "Keep your eyes open. It's impossible to say if others have had the same idea as us." Of course judging from how well Kat had handled herself back there, she had probably been on the road for a few years now, and as such, she probably already knew how to take care of herself. Regardless, the father and paramedic in Jonas had taken over, and while only temporary, for now, Kat was one of them.

Slowly, they moved forward. Judging from sight, many of the rooms had already had it's door kicked down and looted. Jonas preferred to have a door in the room he was going to sleep, would make it easier to defend. Luckily, on the second story of the motel, Jonas spotted just such a room. "Up there." he whispered to Kat as he motioned to the closed door.

Being behind a locked door and on the second story, it would keep all but the most hungry or aggressive infected out. And should they get to the room, the door would act as a bottleneck. "Stay here with Alice, I'll go check it out. You're in no position to fight if there's anyone there." He said, and while he really didn't have any place in ordering her about. It would be common sense. Sure, she was not dying. But straining herself would only aggravate the wound further, making it that much harder to mend.

And with those words given, even if she does not heed them, Jonas pulled out his baseball bat and moved closer to the Motel. Slowly and with quiet steps he moved closer. Each step taken with as much care as one walking a minefield. One wrong step and he risked alerting any Infected or looters around. Something he'd much rather be without. Step by step he made his way closer until he eventually stood at the stairway leading up to the second story. And even here, he took careful steps as he ascended it. And when he finally reached the door he had spotted earlier, he took a gentle grip at the doorknob before turning it. Luckily, the door was unlocked and from what he could see, the insides were clear.

Looking through the room inside, he saw two single beds and a small bathroom. "It would have to do." he said softly to himself, content with what he had found Jonas looked over at the duo and waved them over silently. Staying where he was to keep and eye out in case anything moves that is not Alice or Kat.

Kat smiled at Alice. The child's openness and ease in which she spoke was something that was mostly unheard of in this world. Only someone young could still have that sort of hope in goodness. Kat wondered how long it had been since the girl had the chance to speak with someone that wasn't her father. She glanced down at the child while they waited for Jonas. She didn't look to be the healthiest girl, even though she appeared to be fairly content. Kat absentmindedly wondered if Alice was sick, and what illness she had. She debated asking Jonas, but her thoughts halted when Jonas waved them over.

She hadn't particularly liked the idea of just standing around while the older man scoped the area, but she knew he was right. She was in absolutely no shape to be stabbing any Infecteds. The lack of movement almost irritated her. She was used to giving her own orders. But she stayed silent and waited for his signal. When he gestured to them, she looked down at Alice and gave her a reassuring smile.

"Looks like we're good to go," she grinned, touching Alice's shoulder.

She began moving in his direction. He picked a single room, with two beds. Kat moved into the room, hoping Alice was following her. She leaned against the doorjamb and glanced down at her collarbone. "Hey doc, I could really use some help now,"

Her voice came out slightly raspy, as the pain in her shoulder grew more pronounced.

Once Jonas was content that the room was clear and safe, he looked to Alice and nodded "Close the door and lock it, we'll camp here for the night." Words that immediately sent Alice in action. Despite her relative age, Alice knew the world she lived in. She and Jonas had been on the move for years now and it had affected her. They made a great team, Alice and Jonas. He had the muscle that adulthood brought him, while she was nimble and quick. Something that they had both used time and time again. Sure, she was a kid and sure, the time spent on the move had taken it's toll on her, physically and mentally. However Alice remained a strong girl, even despite her infection, which didn't show itself much. She looked more ragged than she felt, thanks to the infection. Her skin a slightly more feverish colour than normal though no fits of coughing and no spasms. It was as if the infection was merely cosmetic in nature. Though Jonas did not want to take any chances, hence his quest for a cure.

Looking over at Kat, Jonas nodded "Yes, let's have a look at it. Take off the shirt and sit down on the bed." He started as he moved to unload his backpack against one of the far walls of the room, followed by his dirty hoodie. Underneath he was wearing a tight black t-shirt. He needed the free movement that a thick hoodie would not give. "Alice, bring my kit." he said as he himself began to unload a few things from his backpack. First, Jonas pulled out a small lighter. Usually he did not use this for lighting fires, he had a firestarter for that, the lighter served one purpose and that purpose only, to disinfect the needle he used to sew up cuts. With limited supply in the apocalypse he was forced to use the same needle over and over again, so burning off any germs was critical.

Alice quickly moved over with the medpack itself, something she carried in her backpack. It had it all, everything from bandages to disinfectant and gauze. It was one of the few things that Jonas had taken from the medical clinic before he left so long ago, knowing that he would need it. And considering that they've only been two, and mostly kept to the shadows, the supply in the medkit was mostly intact.

Sure, Jonas peeked over at Kat as she took off her shirt, how could he not, it had been years since he had spend any prolonged time with a woman his rough age, at least, a woman who was not trying to scam him for everything he owned. Despite that, Jonas was professional enough to not let anything come of it, so for now he just looked at her, helping her get the shirt and any piece of clothing or jewelry that would get in the way should she require it.

"This will hurt, I suggest biting down on something." Jonas said and almost as if on queue, Alice offered a rolled up bundle of cured leather. Sure, it had bite marks in it, however Jonas knew first hand that having something to bite down in would take most of the pain away. As such, he gave her a chance to get ready, mentally and physically before he poured a good amount of disinfectant liquid into the large gash at her collarbone. He wanted to kill any and all signs of infection before closing it off. Normally, the body would be able to take most of it, however considering the nature of the Infected that walks around outside, one cannot be too cautious. "And this will hurt even more." Jonas offered as he began to heat up the needle that would sew the wound together.

In a perfect world, this would be done using some sort of sedative, or at the very least, a lot of alcohol to dull the senses. They had neither so Jonas had to work with what he got, only the bare bones. Slowly, he allowed the heated needle to pierce the skin, again and again as he worked carefully to seal the entire thing. This what was he was good at, medical work. His hands were perfectly still, telltale signs of his experience with needles and his sewing was meticulous, making certain that he closed the wound as much as possible, to prevent infected blood from seeping in. And judging from what he saw earlier, Kat seemed to be the sort of person who couldn't sit still for long, so the better sealed he could make the wound, the better, for all involved. And during the whole thing, Alice had watched carefully. Making sure to take mental notes of everything that Jonas did, so that she could copy him. She had sewn Jonas up a few times and was getting better. And despite her age, the sight of the gash did not seem to affect her one bit, to her, it was more fascinating than gross.

And after a good while, Jonas eventually finished up his needlework. Using one of Kat's knives to cut the thread used to seal her wound before looking the whole thing over. Not one of his best works, however normally he would work in a sterile room, with the patient completely sedated and unable to move. Here, he had to work with what the world gave him, and the result was more than he could have expected. "There, all done. Try not to strain yourself too much, Kat. The wound might pop open if you do." he instructed. Sure, she was a badass with knives, however right here, right now, he was the doctor and she was the patient. And he spoke to her like one. "Oh, and here. You only get one, so save it unless you really need it." he quickly added as he reached into the medkit and pulled out a single painkiller.

Back
Top Bottom