Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

NNNNNNNNNNNN

RE: Night Land Journals [comments welcome]

Wait.

This came out of a BMR RP?

What the fuuuuuuuuuck. I had no idea! Yer baby's got a goddamn pantheon of aunts and uncles.

I'm so excited for you and can't wait for this to become fully realized for you either. It's great that you're sharing the entirety of the process as well and I'm sooo glad I got to read a good chunk of the RP before you guys had it taken down. XD <3

The thing about the world is that somewhere, there's a fifteen year old girl that likes it in both holes. I'm not at all sure how anyone can say that it's out of the realm of possibility for a teenage girl to be very sexually active and experienced. Many people form the opinion that it's impossible, or unlikely, because it wasn't something they have experienced. People consider the culture they are in, where it's "sin" for a youths to be sexually active, and take those feelings as cold, hard fact. "We" don't like the idea of a fifteen year old girl getting plowed by some old guy, therefore she wouldn't like it. I'm not at all sure where I stand on someone that young being emotionally capable of dealing with having sex, however. Is it that young people literally cannot handle sex on an emotional level in their early teens, or is it that we live in a culture that turns it into a taboo and scary thing until we're adults? Bump the uglies, go to hell, don't pass go. We should also consider that there are plenty of adults that aren't emotionally capable of responsible sex, let alone carrying on a healthy relationship. So, does it come down to the individual?

At fifteen, a girl can be well developed. I'm not sure why someone would think that your character cannot have decent sized breasts and pubic hair at that age, considering the incredibly diverse way organic life, humans in particular, tends to grow. I'd also wager that a fifteen year old girl's vagina can take two cocks at once. Physically, there shouldn't be any problem. It isn't a question of biology, so much as it's a question of experience. Is she accustomed to such a stretch? If it's a dream world, where the normal rules are thrown out the window, then it's even less of an issue. Basically, whoever told you this doesn't actually know how a vagina works-- that's even ignoring that girls/women tend to have different vaginal widths.

Your character could have gone through and been done with puberty by now. If she's well developed now, it isn't hard to think that she started puberty when she was eleven, ten, or even as early as nine. There's nothing wrong on a physical level here. Maybe the pieces fall together in a convenient way, but they tend to for protagonists.

A fifteen year old girl that is mature and ready to have a lot of crazy sex.

A a ten year old boy, who survives a killing curse, is swept into a magical world, becomes a sports star, takes out an ogre, learns old secrets nobody else could figure out, and then proceeds to unravel and foil the plans of one of the GREATEST wizards of all time. He then does this, in varying degrees, for seven years straight.

I'm sure one of the two happens to be more believable. All that matters is how you write it.

It doesn't sound like these three people thought out their criticisms very well. It sounds like they were motivated by the squick factor, and then said some less than true things to back up their issue with the character ages. Does that mean they are wrong for mentioning the squick factor? I don't think so.

If you want to sell this book, it'll probably be more difficult with the protagonist aged as she is (which you're well aware of). Lot's of people are going to have that squick factor. If you don't mind leaving your artistic vision at the door, and making compromises for the sake of success, then it MIGHT be a good idea to change her age. Then again maybe a controversial aspect like this is just what you need for the book to really be successful.

I agree with what Mitsu has mentioned above. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for a fifteen year old girl, and wouldn't require too much suspension of disbelief by the reader, particularly if the story already contains fantasy elements.

So, it would boil down to me, on how 'real' is the squick factor? Were the three people you mentioned squicked out by it, or were they just providing an opinion on how others would react? Sometimes we can not take offence to something ourselves, but assume that others would/should, when they might not.

And if it is real, then is that what you want? Do you want your novel to be controversial, and provoke, and how does that affect the audience/number of readers you're trying to attract?

Just my thoughts.

So, speaking purely to squickyness, I think a lot of readers would feel less pressure by adding a single year. 16 is frequently bandied about as 'age of consent' in various places, legal realities notwithstanding.

That being said, Lolita was 12, so discussions about the ability of young girls to be aggressively sexual are kinda moot.

I really doubt it's illegal - If the stuff that comes out of Japan can be sold over here, then you're fine. My point was just that people have an easier time with 16 mentally. It's on the other side of the child/adult line for most people.

As far as Amazon goes, I have no advice. You could try to turn down the erotic tones across the board and rebrand it as epic adventure?

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sorry to hear the publishing didn't work out, but thanks for sharing the story on BMR. A little different from my usual reading material, and I don't feel qualified to comment, other than to say I've read the first couple of chapters, and enjoyed them.

Just put a little line on the last page, 'Original draft available by request'

Put it on a google docs and distribute the link to those that ask? I mean, if they're asking, then they've presumably paid for your book and want more.

Trygon said:
Put it on a google docs and distribute the link to those that ask? I mean, if they're asking, then they've presumably paid for your book and want more.

Ah, got you. That would work.

I'm so glad to hear that you're forging on ahead and doing what needs to be done here. Sometimes we all need to go through our stages as we process things and goodness knows we all process differently. Anyway, glad that you've come to this point since your story really should be shared.

I think Try's suggestion is sound. Authors have blogs and other such things all the time that they post/offer out as freebies to their fanbase all the time. So who is to say that you can't offer the original format to those who want it when the time is right on your own author's blog? Only you can make that choice. And I say...go for it!

Oohh!!! I'm so happy for you! Like...giddy happy! I'm glad you came to a final decision and are pushing forward. I'm cheering you on. I've no doubt your books will be well received and do phenomenally. You'll always have fans here and in me. Woot! *hugs* <333

darkangel76 said:
Oohh!!! I'm so happy for you! Like...giddy happy! I'm glad you came to a final decision and are pushing forward. I'm cheering you on. I've no doubt your books will be well received and do phenomenally. You'll always have fans here and in me. Woot! *hugs* <333

Thank you, dark! Your support and the support of BMR means a lot to us! <3 I'm feeling rejuvenated and pumped about this project again. It's time to get it done!

I can't wait! I'm really hoping for the best for your book and I can't wait for you to send me the link so I can snatch it up! :D

Rudolph Quin said:
"okay... so, it's a pen-like appendage and... it squirts 'white stuff' that marrs her parchment white canvas... is he using white out or having sex? Exciting guesses!"

I just died. I read this just as I was taking a sip of my coffee and I'm pretty sure I'm dead now. xD lol "Exciting guesses!" Fantastic.

The cover looks AMAZING! Holy shit, you have a family of seriously talented people.

Back
Top Bottom