Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

So many rude people online

hanataro

Planetoid
Why is there so many rude people online ? I mean sometimes its just downright meanness . Is common courtesy too much to ask for these days ? Maybe I'm over -thinking it ,but it just gets on my nerves.

Maybe your nerves would resolve if you try to think of it as the rude person in question is blinded by a terrible situation in their life. A much more positive thought route, if even not in the face of positivity. :)

LackingInHeart has a very true point. Sometimes try and understand from their perspective and it takes away a lot of the rudeness. But then again, I have myself seen a lot of downright meanness online and have been a victim to it. It all boils to the classic argument "I'm safe behind a screen so why bother?" for many. The best counter to such behavior is generally ignoring the person.

Just try to stay positive and remember why you're here; to RP and have fun!

Sometimes people say things, and they don’t know how they come across. People are going to mean whether it’s online or in the real world. In either situation, you have to consider the source and take it with a grain of salt. If you let the “rude” people influence your choices, how you feel, and what you do, then they’re winning. Just keep on rping and overlook them. Trust me. There are plenty of them out there, and you’re going to run into them again. We’ve all been there. Just turn to the good ones whenever you’re feeling down or wronged. My inbox is always open if you want to talk.

SithLordOfSnark said:
What exactly do you call mean or rude, though?

I'm sarcastic by nature - Many people may call that rude, but its just me being me.

This^^^

In my opinion, intent is everything. If someone says something offensive or insensitive to me but they think they're being helpful or they don't realize the impact of their words; if it's anything other than with the intention of harming me in some way, it's a communication issue, not a "you're rude! you're a jerk!" issue. There are genuinely rude people in the world, just complete assholes who try all the time in most if not all of their interactions to bring others down, actively hurting people with their words in order to delight in the resulting misery they have caused. Let's not dampen the impact of that by calling someone who ignorantly says something that you take offense at as being "just as bad".

With the oversensitive culture we live in right now, I'd also like to know what degree of rudeness we're talking about. But even with the intentionally rude assholes out there, I agree with what someone else said about perspective, bringing up "they're rude because they've distanced themselves from the interaction" and I would counsel others to react in the exact same way, "distance yourself from the interaction and move on." After all, if they're going to be just hateful to you because you don't actually matter to them, then why should what they have said and done matter to you? It's about power and by letting it sit in your mind, by letting it define your actions, is handing it to them handle first.

I agree with what has been said previously, but also want to add:

Sometimes as the anonymity afforded by an online presence allows people to say or do things they would normally never say in person as there are no repercussions. This is a long standing issue with being online, that the impersonal nature of communities allows rudeness since there is no downside to being so.

The internet is just a smaller portion of the real world... There are a great number of people however who don't wish to see it that way. They figure consequences on the net don't happen because this world isn't real. For this reason you will get bullies, and a-holes who do this just because they figure they can. However... You must also remember that the internet IS a smaller portion of the real world, this means that not everyone who comes off as a jack a actually is one. There can be reasons behind it, reasons that a few of are listed above. If someone has a bad day in the real world, and snaps at you, not really meaning to, you pick yourself up and move on with your day.... On the net you must do the same thing. You can not allow negative people to pull you down, to rip you out of this world because unlike the real world you can mold this one into something that makes you content, something that helps you escape the pressures, and the heartache's that come in the world outside the screen.

Back
Top Bottom