Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Multi Universes

David Merlyn

Super-Earth
http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2014/12/parallel-universes-are-real-and-will.html#.VYg_ittRFy0

Interesting what would you think?

I was going to write something long and detailed, but I think Neil deGrasse Tyson puts it best.

(Source)
David Freeman said:
And our conception of the cosmos may also have changed. Do you think we live in a universe--or a multiverse?

Neil deGrasse Tyson said:
We have excellent theoretical and philosophical reasons to think we live in a multiverse.

David Freeman said:
Why is that?

Quantum physics, which is the physics of the small, behaves in odd ways. Everything that the tenets of quantum physics predict about the universe--we go out and test it and it's there. General relativity, which was put forth by Einstein, is the theory of the large--gravity and the large-scale structure of the universe. That also works. Yet they don't work with one another. If you take the universe all the way back to the Big Bang, well, the entire universe was really small. So now you take the shotgun wedding--quantum physics and general relativity. In that shotgun wedding, if you follow through with all the predictions quantum physics gives you, it allows multiple bubbles to form--one of which is our universe. These are sorts of fluctuations in the quantum foam. Quantum physics fluctuates all the time. But now the fluctuations are not just particles coming into and out of existence, which happens all the time. It's whole universes coming into and out of existence.

David Freeman said:
And philosophically?

Philosophically, the universe has really never made things in ones. The Earth is special and everything else is different? No, we've got seven other planets. The sun? No, the sun is one of those dots in the night sky. The Milky Way? No, it's one of a hundred billion galaxies. And the universe--maybe it's countless other universes.

David Freeman said:
And our multiverse could be just one of many?

Exactly. It might be that the multiverse is not alone.

^ That being said, I am kind of skeptical about this supposed new methodology of discovering possible other universes. And I am even more skeptical about the possibility of visiting other universes when the laws of physics are completely different there. Not only would it take an enormous (if not impossible) amount of energy to do, wouldn't you like, die one you got there? Wouldn't the nuclear forces holding your atoms together make you fall apart? Unless you sent some sort of probe, but that still doesn't really solve the problem. Its similar to how I view time travel, warp drive, or creating worm holes or trying to see what happened before the big bang. With our current level of technological development, it seems impossible.

Still, fascinating though and I will be keeping an eye on this stuff. Great Read. :)

Back
Top Bottom