Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Nightmare Academy (Recruitment Thread)

11401583_842474322487628_8234594602689693387_n.jpg

Welcome to Nightmare Academy, where the unexpected should be the most expected for nothing is truly as it seems. This school is set off in the darkest corner of the world, a world where the supernatural are expected, and feared.... Welcome to Transylvania, where rumors of the undead, the half dead, and the walking dead are very commonly told are the fireplace. Where Nightmare Academy brings all these different creatures, both dark and light together for common interests. This school is sanctuary, to students and faculty alike. Run by a very powerful, and very dark family, this school strives to make a reality the dreams that mortals will no longer hunt immortals, and that supernatural creatures can roam the streets of the world without fear. NA is full of endless possibilities, and untold possibilities. Everyone has their secrets, but within the walls of Nightmare, nothing is kept secret for long. Come join the ranks, and help Nightmare Academy to thrive, becoming more than the family who created it could have ever dreamed.

* Game creators: Mystik Viper & AlphaWolfQuin.
* This game is LGBTQ friendly.
* Allows Adult Content.
* Accepts Multiple Characters.
* Supernatural and Non supernatural creatures both welcome.
* Most creatures welcome. (restrictions & limitations below rules)

Game Rules:

1) RL comes first.
2) Sites rules always apply.
3) No God moding, metagaming etc.
4) No OOC Drama, be respectful to all members.
5) No anime pictures.
6) All profiles and game wide story lines must be approved by a game creator.

(If rules need to be added, they will be)

Nightmare Academy is open to most creatures, immortal and mortal alike, with few exceptions. We do not believe in restricting the imagination but there are certain things that simply can not, and will not be allowed. I'm certain that everyone will understand this, however if you do have questions about anything on this list, please, feel free to ask. We like questions.
- Angels (this does not include fallen angels)
- Gods/Goddesses (they may be talked about and brought up, but at this time at least not welcome to be played)
- Deities/Demi Gods (same as Gods/Goddesses)
- Devils (Same as Gods/Goddesses)

Suggestions for Guidelines: You are not required to follow these formats, they are simply suggestions, uniqueness is always excepted.

Werewolves

Additional Threads

Profiles Thread
OOC Thread
Nightmare Academy: Main School
Nightmare Academy: Living Quarters
Nightmare Academy: Courtyard, Outside recreational area
Town of Transylvania
Transylvania Forest

RE: Nightmare Academy (Interest Thread)

Consider my interest piqued. This idea, if I am interpreting it correctly, sounds a lot like the manga/anime of Rosario Vampire, wherein the supernatural creatures of the world exist within the walls of their own secret school that is cut off from the mortal world of man. I take it that you're primarily looking for role players interested in playing supernatural creatures? How does the Academy interest with the human world? Is it a secretive place or is its existence openly known?

To be perfectly honest with you Master Raelthorne, I have absolutely no idea because I'm not a manga/anime person, and neither is Mystik Viper.... Though the idea has been pieced together from a few things. X-Men was one of our inspirations as well as things like "Harry Potter", "Monster High" and "Ever After High".... While obviously being more of a college type school, as we don't like to meddle in the under age realm.

Oh and as for the school, yes it would be hidden from the mortal realm but like in x-men there would be a select team of teachers and upper class men that go out into the mortal world to protect humans from rogue supernaturals. Same with humans who hunt supernaturals. The team let's call it Night Watch for now, are working to get mortals and immortals to co exist. That's the Dean's life goal, to bring peace between both sides.

A lot of what you just said flew so far over my head that the air guard had to radio in for identification. Harry Potter, though... That one I know. Also slightly familiar with the X-Men. So my questions still stand.

How does the Academy interest with the human world?
Is it a secretive place or is its existence openly known?
Are you looking for people to play just supernatural creatures or are humans welcome as well?

EDIT: Was replying before your second post went out.

Well that all sounds well and good. So if the Academy is hidden, is it just the Academy that is hidden or is the mortal realm aware of (and fears) the supernatural world as a whole?

AlphaWolfQuin said:
Oh and as for the school, yes it would be hidden from the mortal realm but like in x-men there would be a select team of teachers and upper class men that go out into the mortal world to protect humans from rogue supernaturals. Same with humans who hunt supernaturals. The team let's call it Night Watch for now, are working to get mortals and immortals to co exist. That's the Dean's life goal, to bring peace between both sides.

Yes... Not to say however that a mortal or two couldn't end up finding their way into the school or onto the school grounds by one means or another.... And then of course there's the possibility that a mortal could be brought in for protection.... Endless possibilities really. And of course an every lasting expandable story..... Alpha nor I like to restrict the flow of ideas and the imagination. So we're always open to new things, always giving fun new twists and turns along the way. :)

Master Raelthorne said:
A lot of what you just said flew so far over my head that the air guard had to radio in for identification. Harry Potter, though... That one I know. Also slightly familiar with the X-Men. So my questions still stand.

How does the Academy interest with the human world?
Is it a secretive place or is its existence openly known?
Are you looking for people to play just supernatural creatures or are humans welcome as well?

No offense darlin but... That's exactly how I felt the second you said Manga.... If you didn't say anime right after it I would have had to google. lol.

For your questions, read her second post... I'm sorry, that would be my bad. I did get her side tracked. lol.

If you like we can obviously still explain it a bit more. :)

OH GOD! I'm causing a cluster-fuck! Let me take a moment to articulate my thoughts.

Okay... So we're hidden away from the rest of the world. Mortal man does not know of the academy, but do they know of the supernatural world at large? Like in X-men, normal humans are well aware of the existence of mutants, but they are unaware that there is a school of them out there. At least that's how it is in most of the X-men source material that I have read/seen.

Or is it more like Harry Potter, in that the world of muggles is absolutely ignorant to the existence of the supernatural?

It's a cross between the two.... Just... Don't cluster fuck again yet.... Bare with me.

The mortals are just as aware of the immortals as the immortals are aware of the mortals.... Just like in X-Men.... They know they're there, there's a certain level of fear due to them being dangerous, where at the same time there are some who support them...

The school it's self however is more like in Harry Potter.... While people in X-Men know about Xaviors school but not necessarily what it is, the most mortals would know about Nightmare Academy is what they would have heard in rumors and ghost stories.

Okay; cool! So here's the big bomb of a question...

What lore and/or mythology are we following here? I'm interested, but my first choice for my character is of a very overdone (and rarely well done) mythological beast. To be more specific, what is the mythology of werewolves in this world that you have forged?

I have a description of the werewolves I play personally but I'm not picky. It's your character so I feel you should play them as you see fit. My description of werewolves is as follows:

-Wolves have four forms:

Human- Keen sense of hearing and smell. Can detect other werewolves with ease via scent.
Advanced strength and speed. Also rapid healing abilities.
Basic appearance is the same before and after the change. Younger wolves may experience the ripping of clothes when shifting from human to wolf while older wolves can shift without destroying their clothing.
Eyes have a slight glow to them which is brighter in the dark and less noticeable in the light. There is no real way to get rid of it but some wolves wear sunglasses during the daytime hours to cover it up to keep it hidden if necessary.
Human form is the weakest form although senses are heightened as well as speed and strength. Wolves in human form are NOT as strong as wolves who have shifted into another form.

Hybrid- Average 6.5 to 8 feet in height but often have a hunch or slouch that varies from slight to dramatic.
Large percentage of muscle mass compared to human counter parts; weighs more then a similarly sized human would.
Should have a tail, unless otherwise removed.
Humanoid in shape, save for digit grade legs.
Facial structure is always that of a wolf, with a defined muzzle and no human-like features.
When controlled, have the full mental capacity of their human, but with a more feral edge. When out of control, are still highly intelligent, but run by a beast-like mind with vastly different impulses and desires.
Have functional paw-hands with opposable thumbs. Good for gripping, bad for dexterous work. Hands can be more feral but not human-like at all.
Ear shapes vary from small wolf-like ears to taller bat-like ears, and everything in between, but are always upright unless structurally compromised.
May have some variation in hair length and covering; Manes are welcome and less hair along the chest, belly, muzzle, paws and hands are welcome.

Beast- Follows the same guidelines in terms of general shape, colors ears, etc, as the basic werewolf form but on a massive scale.
9 to 13 feet in height on average when upright, but body is slouched and head height may be lower.
Slower but much stronger than the normal werewolf form, and often tires quickly. -The battle form-
The mind is very feral and as a result it is easier to lose control of this form. When let loose, is not only bestial in mind but is more inclined to blood lust and berserker rages.
More wolf-like then the basic werewolf form, but still Bipedal, though preferred movement is on all fours, may resort to knuckle walking.

Basic- Based off of the wolf half of the character.
Larger then a normal example of it's species but would still blend into a pack.
The quickest form but entirely feral and four legged.
Easy to maintain control of ,but often very feral in terms of mental capacity. May retain morals, memory and recognition, as well as general habits and personality.
Nothing resembling human anatomy.

People can either be turned by a scratch or a bite from a werewolf or born as one. If scratched or bitten the first shift occurs during the first full moon after being bitten/scratched. If born a werewolf the first shift does not occur until puberty. In the time before his first shift a young werewolf experiences a rush of hormones that make him aggressive and unstable.
The first change always occurs during the full moon. The first shift is always painful and can be followed by uncontrollable blood lust, though the process gets easier with experience. A werewolf must spend the night of the full moon, as well as the night before and after in their wolf form.
Following the first change a werewolf may change at will-or not, as the change is also influenced by temperament and state of mind. If you are hurt to badly or lose your temper, it is entirely possible that the beast will take over. Experienced werewolves have much more control over these effects.
Changing only takes a matter of minutes and can vary from excruciating to euphoric, depending on who you ask. It generally hurts newer werewolves more then older and older werewolves often take less time to shift.

Healing Factor- Werewolves possess the ability to regenerate- While you may not be able to regrow severed limbs, you may heal from minor and major wounds at a much faster rate, with the quickest healing being in your shifted form.
Enhanced strength, speed, and senses- A werewolf's senses are as strong as their animal counterpart's, and along with this they are capable of superhuman acts of strength and reaction speed as well as heightened sense of smell, sight, etc.
Wolfsbane- Wolfsbane is highly poisonous when ingested and can cause a painful skin reaction.
Silver- Silver is most dangerous to werewolf- if shot with a silver bullet, it will poison and even cripple them until removed. If not removed the werewolf will slowly die. While a werewolf may be able to shrug off a normal bullet even to a lethal area, a silver bullet will kill them dead. Werewolves can not touch any form of silver without it burning their skin.

Werewolves are territorial in any form. The scent of an unknown, werewolf or other shifter/creature picked up in a pack's 'claimed' territory will make the pack that lives within the territory become very aggressive and can result in a fight if the creature in their area comes off as dangerous. Due to heightened senses wolves can easily sense if someone is dangerous or if they mean no harm. A creature or human that shows respect and a certain loyalty will not be harmed and with time could gain a sort of protection from a pack depending on the Alpha's views/standards.
Each land will have a different set up, do keep that in mind when you're making a character of this species.

Sorry.... I don't meddle in the werewolf stuff... Leave that up to the Alpha. However I can answer your first question.

I am a huge studier of mythologies.... They all have something incredible to offer.... I'm partial mostly to Greek & Roman, so there is quite a bit more of that in the story... However, we do not limit members imaginations, so if you wish to venture outside Greek & Roman mythology you are absolutely welcome to do so.

Well I was mostly interested in your opinions on werewolf mythology in particular, since you can ask ten different people what a werewolf is and get ten different answers. I'm pretty picky with my werewolf mythology, so I'll stay away from that for the sake of safety and clarity. I have a few backup ideas that I like, which brings about another question - one that I have a suggestion to solve depending on how flexible you are to foreign ideas.

Now, obviously, some creatures are much larger than others. When it comes to X-men, for example, they were all just human with genetic defects. So size wasn't much of a problem. For something like what you're discussing, however, I would imagine that there would be situations through the ages where the Academy would need to accommodate creatures much much smaller than normal, such as pixies or leprechauns. On the other hand, you would have situations where there would be creatures much larger than 'normal', such as trolls or dragons. How does the academy handle such things?

That's a good question, and I have the perfect answer but it's like right at the tip of my tongue and my tongue and my fingers aren't talking to one another right now for some childish reason. lol.... So gonna try this anyway....

With the werewolf thing I've actually never really done werewolves, it's a new thing I started with Alpha, she's still kinda teaching me, so I follow her suit when it comes to that, but you're right, werewolves are so different that it seems no two are ever alike.

Far as size of creatures would go, yes, we wouldn't want them all to be the same size... I would have nightmares if I saw a 6 ft pixie. I've played a few things were dragons were incorporated and the dragons took human form, so that really would depend on how a person would wish to play that.... Entry ways, classrooms, they are larger, allowing for creatures of larger sizes to get in and out with little to no effort.... This also allows for people to pass in the halls more easily, and of course you get to many rowdy animals in one hall way and don't want to get completely mauled and still move past it works for that as well. Smaller creatures of course would use the same paths, pixies and such could fly to be out of the way of the canon fire.

Speaking classrooms, they would be set up for even the larger creatures to join in. they would sit near the back more, creatures who are taller, or have larger tails for example would simply be in the way, while creatures like pixies and leprechauns may have their own classes... Pixie magic after all won't need to be taught to any creature outside pixies, but for them desiring to join other classes, accommodations will be made by the teacher in charge.

Well, dragons were a poor example I suppose. In most lore, dragons have the ability to assume a human form (and mate with human men and women while in said form, hence the birth of sorcerers in most fantasy lore). That aside, there are still plenty of large creatures that would never be able to sit in a human-sized chair. The point remains a valid one.

Well it sounds like you have it worked out, but I will toss this out there anyway on the off chance that you two haven't really concreted your stance on the size thing. My suggestion for this comes out of Rosario Vampire, which is very similar in design to your idea. In RV, all students have a 'human form' through the use of magic, enchanted jewelry, etc. The students are then required to remain in human form when within the school for a number of reasons, the biggest of which revolves around the fact that some of the students are rather diminutive and others are rather large in their natural forms.

This allows the school to build to the standards of average human architecture. Ones' size is not a problem and if a human ever stumbles upon the school (which does happen in the anime), nothing seems amiss and the school goes on unsuspected.

I actually really like that idea. It would work well for this RP seeing as all types of creatures are welcome. :) I like it.

I'm glad that I could contribute! There is an inherent flaw in this, however, which is outlined, but not emphasized enough (in my opinion) in the anime. Many creatures need some kind of magical enchantment or a spell to make them appear human. These spells and enchantments usually seem to limit their natural powers. As an example, it could make a troll no more physically strong than a normal human because he is enchanted to be one. This is intended, for the most part, as in Rosario Vampire, revealing your true form is strictly against the school code of conduct. No one is supposed to know what kind of monster you are. This is to reduce violence in the school. If you are a low class monster, you don't want to pick a fight with someone who could be a high class monster.

The problem comes when you realize that there are a few creatures, such as vampires or werewolves, that can naturally appear human without loosing their strength or speed. Though the students do not know what kind of monster their classmates are, it would be necessary in a RP setting that the faculty does. This would let the faculty keep an extra eye on the students who are not going to be hindered by a human form.

PS: Sorry for asking so many questions. Just trying to get on the same page as you guys.

Agree completely... Faculty or at least the dean (played by Alpha) and assistant dean (played by me) would have to know what they are.... Since you posted that I've actually been thinking on a good angle to go with your idea.... Do we want to give them enchanted medallions or would we want to enchant the school.... Type thing... I tend to get hung up on details often though, so will have to sort out the options and poke my dear Quin and see what she thinks.

Don't worry about asking the questions... We like to cover all our basis, and the questions make sure that we do. :)

I don't think it would be against the school code of conduct but there could be separate areas of the grounds where larger and smaller creatures would be allowed where the other wasn't. The Pierce family (the founders) is made up of a hellhound, his werewolf wife, and their hybrid children whom work very hard to keep the peace between students. They want everyone to feel at home and free to be who they are, so there would be constant monitoring and different levels of punishment depending on offense and of course size/strength/power of the creatures involved in any type of violence. We can definitely work on details more but I hope that kind of helps to answer your question. Also please don't apologize for asking questions, I have no problem answering at all. I've GMed quite a few games and I'd rather people ask questions than go into things without understanding fully. I ask a lot of questions myself whenever I join groups or even with one on one's. Communication and everyone being on the same page is key for a good story and working as a team to build it :D

I'm very happy to have sparked some thought here, though I would advise against a school-wide enchant. In RV, there is an enchant of sorts that semi-closes the school ground off from the rest of the world... I dunno. It's some weird anime logic. It's not all good.

Anyway, these rules about the human forms are targeted at the students and just the students. The teachers in the anime did not assume human forms for the primary reason of giving them the necessary strength to step in and break up any fights that might occur between students. If you did a school-wide enchantment then you run the risk of a scenario where two students who are not restricted in human form getting into a fight in front of a teacher who is. What is the teacher to do? Surely, you cannot expect them to step in between two super-human werewolves when they are trapped as a lowly human. Do they call the dean and order the deactivation of the enchantment to break up a singular fight?

I'll let you two mull on that for a little while. In the meantime, I'll eat away at what kind of character that I would like to play. I've subscribed to the thread, so I'll keep an eye on it and keep my nose in it while more people jump in and you two make some decisions regarding how to approach everything that is being discussed thus far.

AlphaWolfQuin said:
Also please don't apologize for asking questions, I have no problem answering at all. I've GMed quite a few games and I'd rather people ask questions than go into things without understanding fully. I ask a lot of questions myself whenever I join groups or even with one on one's. Communication and everyone being on the same page is key for a good story and working as a team to build it :D

^ Can totally agree with this... And vouch for it. lol.

I've already been filtering in the pros and cons to all of it.... My mind works pretty actively.... You're right, that would be an issue... Deactivating the entire enchant would be an issue too, because the last thing you want is to be sitting in home economics next to a human, have the enchantment deactivate and find out that you're now sitting UNDER a troll. lol.

Also a school wide enchantment would be an issue because as it is considered "live magic" the person who created it would have to be put in a bubble for all of eternity, their death, any damage to them, any working up their emotions etc, could cause a stir... While something like a necklace or a leg band (you know for the guys that don't wear jewelry.lol) is more 'dormant magic' which means the item could be enchanted and once it's enchanted all is said and done.

I think some kind of pendant or jewelry would be best for the creatures to be able to take human form while attending certain classes. The students would be able to take off the jewelry as they please though while classes aren't in session. Freedom to be who you are without bias is important to the academy.

Hmmm... I've had an idea for a Bride of Frankenstein character bouncing around my head the last few days so finding this game might be serendipity. Would something like that work here?

Back
Top Bottom