Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Living in the Shadows [Kaname Takashi & CharlotteV]

Being a royal pureblood, Zane knew his history. It was impossible not to. Most vampires went to private schools until they were at least fifteen, being drilled with basic knowledge any human would know, but added on with centuries worth of how their world worked, often taught from people who had been there themselves. But the more pure ones blood was, the more one had to learn. Zane was the product of a political decision made to mix a bloodline in order to keep it alive, and he wasn't the only one. There were a few others, scattered about, an attempt at saving the pureblood race. So of course he'd had names pounded into his head. Names of why children like him existed. Draco was one of them, especially because they were an Italian line, which Zane had in him on the Kostantine side. If he had a test in front of him with multiple choice answers, he could probably pinpoint exactly how each of the last members had died. So he knew the story Genesis was telling, though from a very different point of view.

Purebloods were notoriously narcissistic, always assuming they were bigger, better, stronger. Even in all of his faults Anotonio Draco had been painted as a god. War lord, undefeated, ruthless. His insanity had been a tragedy, and so ha his eventual suicide.

Zane had questioned his history lessons ever since he'd been a young teen, and fallen in with a more changeling filled crowd. He'd been born when things between the races had settled. Changelings still didn't have a lot of rights, but they were no longer property, so for that reason...he couldn't wrap his head around the things Genesis had lived through.

He didn't want to.

The longer Genesis spoke, the more Zane felt like he was going to puke. He had to listen though, even if he didn't want to, even if it physically hurt. Eventually he let out a harsh sigh, sat back and rubbed at the back of his neck. He remembered what Roni had said...about Genesis' face in the painting. "'His' assistant brought it to me with instructions for it to be shown in the next exhibit I do." Which wasn't for awhile, especially with exotic art. "And that if I declined, it'd go to the next gallery. I asked her about buying, but with the way she avoided the question directly I'm going to assume the value of the painting will be decided based on how well it shows. However, I could buy it anyway, with the money I have. And if I own it, you can do whatever the hell you want with it. What's worrying me...is the possible others...and where they will go."

He didn't know how to...handle the history lesson Genesis had just given him, so he was deflecting. Honestly it was because he still felt ill. He couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle it so much that he eventually stood up, wrapped his lover in his arms again, pressed kisses into his hair. "I'm so sorry."

Genesis nodded his head slowly. Other paintings would be a problem, especially now with the changeling's current political position. They're just what ever snobbish pureblood was hoping to see, a changeling on his knees servicing their kind. There were numerous members he could think of that would pay a pretty penny to see that painting and any others. It would give them something to gossip about, chipping away at Genesis' platform.

The hug was unexpected, but also reassuring. Genesis hugged back, wrapping his arms securely around Zane's waist and burying his head into his lover's chest. He felt safe…warm. It helped ease the tension in his body from the tension bad memories had caused earlier.

Zane was a different kind of pureblood, one who was accepting and caring. He didn't want political advancements or hold stupidly loyal bonds to a family name. The younger male actually cared about him. It was a very different experience than what the past had given to Genesis. Some times though he worried. Fear poking at the back of his mind that Zane was simply falling into that attraction that so many of their kind had faced before. But Genesis had actually chosen Zane, so that was also one major difference.

Separating reluctantly, the changeling pushed up to kiss his lover. It was slow and tame, soft and warm. Genesis took his time enjoying it before he moved away, outside of the safe circle of his lover's embrace. "I love you." He whispered with a small, tired smile before making his way towards their stairs.

He headed straight for the master bathroom, stripped and turned up the heat on the water for his shower. He felt almost dirty thinking about the past. The water from the rainfall shower head felt nice against his skin though, so for the moment he simply enjoyed the droplets against his skin.

Zane let Genesis go on his own, waited until he heard the water start, and then almost ran to the kitchen sink. He clasped his hands around the edges, bowed his head, and tried with everything in him to keep his lunch down.

There were things Zane knew about changeling history...briefly from Genesis, some from other friends, and a lot from paperwork he'd added his name on when Adelaide and his grandfather had started the equality initiative. But he'd always felt so...detached from it. He still did, in a way. It wasn't a life he'd seen with his own eyes, and Genesis so rarely shared....

They both had pieces of the past they couldn't change for each other, but that didn't mean it didn't bother them. This was just one of those things. God did Zane hate it. He hated that it'd happened an hated even more that it'd ever been put into something physical. Art was always so beautiful to him and now...it was twisted and left a bad taste in his mouth.

Antonio had certain tastes when it came to sex...

Getting me prepared was never a concern for him...

... he liked getting more than sexually physical...

Beatings increased...

...public humiliation to display his dominance...

... possession over me.

I spent over a decade collared and chained to his bed.

I wasn't allowed to leave that room once.

He puked. He threw up everything he had to offer and then gagged on air, arms shaking, forehead resting against the counter, eventually turning on the water to wash all the red away. He really needed to replace what he'd lost, but he couldn't eat. He'd just be sick again.

So he cleaned up, rinsed his mouth out, and then went upstairs. He was covered in paint splatters, but dry, so he just changed into his pajamas and sat on their bed, starting up Ghostbusters until his lover emerged from the bathroom. "What can I do, baby?"

Genesis scrubbed and scrubbed. That dirty feeling wasn't leaving him, but really it was all psychological so there wasn't much he could do about it. Just deep breaths, lots of soap, and plenty of hot water.

Eventually he emerged from his shower. The large vanity mirror was covered in a thick fog from how long he had stayed there. He took his time drying off with one of the towels, The changeling puttered around a bit, a little hesitant to leave the room because he knew that Zane would be waiting for him beyond that door. Genesis knew that pureblood well enough to know that he needed a bit of time to process, that was just the war Zane was. There was a lot for him to digest.

He turned the doorknob, stepping out into their bedroom. Zane sat on their bed, pajama already on, and Ghostbusters playing from the projector on the ceiling. Genesis had to smile at that, the movie was a classic an one that both vampires felt comfortable watching and relaxing with.

The walk to his dresser was short and Genesis spent a few moments gathering some clothes. The changeling perked up at Zane's question. Really there was nothing Zane could do, not really, to make everything feel better. That was something Genesis had to deal with on his own.

There was only a brief flash of bare skin as Genesis quickly dressed. One large sweater and a pair of comfy sweatpants. It wasn't sexy, but it made the changeling feel safe. It only took a moment for Genesis to crawl up onto their bed and move underneath the covers. He curled his body around Zane's, laying his head in the pureblood's lap. "I don't know what to do Zane…I don't wanna remember, but I can't help it." Closing his eyes didn't help either, the pictures only become more vivid. "Hold me?…Don't leave me..." He asked, nuzzling his head against his lover's thigh.

Zane watched his lover closely, from the moment he left the doorway to the moment he put on clothes. They usually rarely wore anything to bed, though Zane often wore pants because he was a cold sleeper. Still, seeing Genesis cover himself so thoroughly worried him a bit. He'd reacted well to physical touch earlier, but he wondered if he needed to tone it down...give the changeling some space.

He was contemplating asking when Genesis climbed into bed, curled up into his lap, and the request was one he could easily do. He nodded, stroking his fingers though his lovers hair, and then realized...he could probably do one better.

"I can make it go away," he offered, fingertips sliding more pointedly across the older male's temple. "Just for tonight...just so you can sleep. I can cover it up with something better. Something happy. If you let me in."

Zane had always been really good with his telepathy, despite how much it'd been covered up. Once Genesis got his council seat, Zane ha started reading, and eventually picked up books on his gift. He was better at it now, more practiced, but he still stayed out of Gen's head. Going beyond sending and receiving was always a little dangerous, but he knew he could do it.

The changeling loved feeling Zane's fingers run through his hair. It was soothing. A little petting went a long way in his current state. Genesis had to think about his lover's offer though. It was something that he hadn't been expecting.

His fingers played along Zane's thigh, rubbing the fabric between his fingers. There were so many things in his head, so many centuries of memories that he liked to keep away. Things he'd prefer that Zane never see, much like the painting that had found its way into the pureblood's gallery. If the pureblood couldn't control his gift well enough, if he accidentally pulled or pushed wrong, who knows what secrets could spill out.

Then again, Genesis trusted Zane. There were few in his long life that he could say that about, but the young pureblood had always been someone honest and open enough that Genesis hadn't needed to worry about being stabbed in the back at some point. "Okay…" He replied reluctantly, worry lacing the word.

Blue eyes closed as Genesis took a deep breath. He wasn't sure what Zane could or would do, but it had to be better than remembering Antonio. "Just…be carefully." Telepathy was tricky and Zane was just as susceptible to harm as Genesis was.

"Of corse," Zane answered, before he shifted them both to get more comfortable. He kept the movie on, because the background noise would keep him grounded to the real world, keep him from getting lost inside Genesis' head. Once they were more leveled, Zane wrapped his arms around him, pressed their foreheads together. "Relax."

He knew it was a hard request to follow, but he kissed Gen softly, reminded him that he loved him, and waited for their breaths to match. Neither of them actually had to breathe, but they both did on occasion, so that helped. Then he closed his eyes and focused. Really skilled telepaths could erase memories completely, or rearrange them to suppress certain things, but Zane wasn't nearly that good. That took practice, and could usually drive people insane. He'd seen enough mental instability in his life to not want to mess with that. So instead he basically...made a blanket.

Entering Genesis' mind on purpose, past the outer layer of conscious thought, always made his skin inch. It never really felt right, even when he was allowed in, and at first he got flashes that he couldn't really make out but he knew they weren't pleasant. However, he was on a mission, and it took him less than minute to find what he wanted. A vault of ten years worth of memories of them together.

Almost five years ago, they'd gone to Paris together. It had been Zane's first time out of the country and he'd been an annoying little shit as always but...it'd been a fucking amazing trip. The weather had been wonderful, the art had been beautiful, and they'd been together in the city of love...it was something he'd never forget. So he latched onto that one, pulled it to the front, covered it over anything else that Genesis was actively thinking about. As long as he kept physical contact, the entire trip could play through his mind like a movie...long enough to keep him stated throughoutt the day that they needed to sleep through. This way, when he closed his eyes, he'd see Paris...not Antonio.

Paris had been something else. The atmosphere, the food, the sex. Genesis could remember just how excited Zane had been, he could see it as his lover brought those memories forward. As each moment played out, the changeling relaxed. Ancient memories moved to the back of his consciousness as his breathing evened out in the real world. He was asleep in minutes, thankful for Zane's power and happy in thoughts of better times.

Genesis opened his eyes, blinking them slowly awake. Zane was asleep beside him and the changeling was just grateful that it was Sunday. Sunday meant no work as long as nothing important popped up calling for council attention. His head felt heavy, like he had been given some kind of drug. Groggy and sluggish were two good words to describe how he felt.

He hand ended up on his side in the middle of the night, facing Zane with the younger male's arms wrapped around him and keeping him close. It was a nice way to wake up. Genesis yawned and rubbed his head against his lover's chest, nestling his head right underneath the other vampire's chin.

A few more minutes wouldn't hurt them, or so he hoped. While Genesis' work schedule was a steady Monday through Saturday, Zane's had less structure. Gregory ran much of the gallery, but Zane was the visionary. He had things scattered about on different days with different times. Genesis was too OCD to have his work life that way.

Reluctantly he sighed. "Zane…" He said, voice scratchy from sleep. "Do you have anything for work today?" His eyes stayed closed, voice breathy from sleep, as a yawn followed his question.

Zane didn't sleep particularly well, too drawn into how Genesis was doing that every shift and sound woke the younger vampire. He made sure to keep his lover close, wrapped up tight, safe and warm. Even if the good memories would stay at the top of his mind...Zane was overcompensating. He felt like he needed to.

He was in that odd state of half asleep and half awake when his partner came to, nuzzling closer. Zane opened his eyes slowly, just for a quick check, before deciding it was fine and he could sleep a little longer. But then Gen was speaking, and Zane had to let go of the last bit of sleep in his mind so that he could focus on what was asked of him. He shifted slightly, running his fingers though silky black hair.

"Nothing that can't wait until tomorrow," he answered. He had a few things that needed sorted out, an exhibition to get ready, but Genesis really only got Sundays off so he tried not to work if he didn't absolutely have to.

The changeling almost purred, quite literally, as he felt his lover's fingers moving through his hair. There was always a sense of calm and comfort that filled him from the simply touch. Genesis nodded, forehead rubbing against the soft fabric of Zane's shirt. One of his hands grabbed loosely at the younger male's side, traveling under Zane's shirt and ghosting his fingers over bare skin. It wasn't sexual, he just wanted to feel his lover skin to skin in some way.

The previous night hadn't been pretty. The past was hit or miss with the changeling, so many experiences in his long life. Genesis sort of felt guilty having to essentially have Zane hold his hand through the unpleasantness. Sure the pureblood had grown up, their roles in their relationship shifting with passing time, but Genesis still saw himself as someone who couldn't, wouldn't, bring trouble to his lover. His stomach gurgled unhappily, a sign that hunger was something he needed to take care of. With everything that had happened, the couple hadn't eaten and that wasn't good for either of them.

"Food.." Genesis said childishly, sitting up slowly as he rubbed at his eyes. He could feel Zane's arm move to loop around his waist, keep the changeling close, but his lover's eyes remained shut. The smaller man leaned down and pressed his lips to Zane's temple. "Take your time getting up. I'll heat you up something to eat in the mean time."

With much reluctance, Genesis managed to leave the bed. He travelled through the halls of their home, making his way leisurely to the kitchen with practiced ease. The usual routine was easy to follow. Blood in mug, mug in microwave, wait. It was monotonous, something the changeling could do in his sleep. The doorbell ringing brought his attention away from the numbing actions though.

As he made his way to the front door, Genesis had to wonder what it could be. No deliveries were done on Sundays, neither he or Zane had scheduled meetings. It was just strange, but the moment he opened the door he was hit by something. Tiny arms grabbed at his waist as he recognized the grinning face or Raymond Pierce.

"Uncle Gen!" The small creature greeted as said man looked down. Seeing little Mia brought a smile to his face. He scooped the girl up and squeezed softly, leaving raspberry kisses against the child's cheek. She broke out in laughter and it eased some of the tension he had been feeling since he woke up.

"Hello my little angel." He teased, bringing the girl inside as her father walked in behind them. Genesis wasn't able to get much more out though as Mia broke out into telling him every possible detail about her trip with her grandmother a few days before. Genesis simply nodded along, only half listening with a grin on his face.

As the trio settled in the kitchen, it was Ray who brought over the food. Of course, he placed Zane's intended cup in front of Mia and handed Genesis the other. The girl happily took it though, taking eager sips between each sentence. It was cute, but the changeling made sure to direct Ray into heating up more blood for his lover upstairs to which the other pureblood scoffed, but did as he was told.

The moment Genesis' stomach rumbled, Zane's hit him with a shot of pain. He'd almost forgotten puking his guys up before bed, which meant he was functioning on empty. It still wasn't the kind of motivation to make him want to move, even when the changeling started shifting. Zane made a sound of displeasure, trying to keep him there, but eventually letting go. The promise of a meal was a little too attractive.

The younger male took his time getting out of bed, slowly waking, stretching out, rubbing his eyes and then walking to the bathroom to run some water over his face and try to make his hair decent. He looked tired, but it wasn't that big of a deal. The doorbell ringing surprised him, but moreso was how clearly he could hear it. There was a bit of an echo, but not horribly. That was a good sign.

Before he could even wonder to who it was, especially on a Sunday, he could make out a tiny voice. Mia Pierce, Raymond's kid. Zane usually did his best to avoid her...or at least not be left in a room with her. It wasn't because she was a bad kid or anything, Zane just...didn't particularly like them. Any of them. Anyone below the age of, like, sixteen was beyond his comprehension. He got teased about it, on occasion, given how childish he himself was, but by vampire standards he was also still very, very young.

He walked downstairs eventually, rubbing at the back of his neck, giving Ray a bit of nod in greeting. Technically, Zane considered the man a friend. It was hard not to, given the history they'd had together. But he doubted they'd ever actually like each other. Their relationship, as always, revolved completely around Genesis, and they actually didn't cross paths that much unless needed...or Ray was in his house.

The three of them were gathered around the kitchen, Mia talking a mile of minutes between sips taken out of one of his favorite mugs. He figured they'd arrived when Genesis had been making breakfast, so he waited until the third cup in the microwave was done before leaning against the counter and taking an eager drink. It was B neg, which wasn't a preference, but honestly he was too hungry to care.

The majority of Genesis' attention was focused on the child in front of him, but his eyes wondered over his lover the minute the younger man stepped into the kitchen. He could see the slight tension in Zane's body that always showed up when Mia was present. The changeling was well aware of the younger's dislike of children and it saddened him. That was one thing in their relationship they differed in opinion. Genesis was convinced though that Zane just simply hadn't spent enough time with a child.

"Uncle Gen!" Mia shouted, said vampire bringing his full focus back to her. The little girl had gotten out of her seat and was standing next to him, hand tugging at his sweater. Genesis pushed his seat back and Mia happily climbed her way into his lap to continue telling her story. He gently tugged at her curls, rubbing the back of her head.

Ray could see that something was off though. There was just this feeling in his gut that the older pureblood got when he looked at Genesis' posture or eyes. "Mia why don't you go show Genesis some of your toys, the new ones that grandma bought you for your trip." The little girl happily bounced in the changeling's lap, starting in on another tale before he could even stand to bring them into the living room where Ray had dropped of his daughters bag.

When they left the room, Ray looked at Zane. The younger vampire was scowling as he drank his blood. "My parents are taking her to Europe for a while, I know Genesis would have wanted to see her before she left though." He leaned back against the counter, hands splayed on the granite surface behind him. "I won't be going for another week though, so there will be plenty of time that I have available to say goodbye." He wasn't suggesting a nice dinner. For anything sexual he always needed to get Zane's approval before hand. Genesis would say no otherwise.

Ray set his jaw, wanting to ask something else, because he really didn't know what was going on. "I was at a bar yesterday, met some gorgeous women there. There was on in particular that caught my attention, said she knew you Zane." Ray frowned, crossing his arms over his chest. "Shook her head and laughed when I mentioned Genesis. Any idea why that would be?"

Children were loud. Zane winced slightly, rubbed at his injured ear, then went back to his food. He finished off his mug too fast, and then tuned to the cabinets to shift though the bags until he found an AB. As he prepared his meal he could hear Ray's suggestion behind him. It was obviously a way to get Genesis out of the room, but Zane couldn't really say he was surprised. If anyone knew the changeling as well as he did, it was the older pureblood.

He nodded at the explanation of their arrival as he slid his mug into the microwave, turning to face Ray again. It was true, Gen loved that little girl, always complained when he hadn't seen her in awhile. The moment Ray mentioned saying goodbye himself, Zane knew exactly what he wanted. It wasn't exactly a 'permission' thing, but if Zane ever said no Genesis would too. It was something that had been put into place years ago and it worked. One of those things that just strengthened their relationship. "Sure," he answered with a shrug, turning to get his seconds when the microwave alerted him. "If you can find a time when he's not busy." It wasn't even a jab, it was honest. Genesis' schedule was insane, and he was often too tired for...well, anything really. But honestly, he figured Gen would make the time if propositioned.

He could tell there was more. He wasn't even cheating, given what he'd done the night before his mental gifts needed a break, but he knew Ray by now. Usually, especially when Zane was involved, the older male didn't hesitate on saying just what was on his mind. Honestly, he figured it was going to be about what was up with Genesis. And it was...in a roundabout kind of way.

Zane nearly broke his mug. Suddenly he wasn't quite so hungry anymore. He sat his drink down slowly, sighed, and ran both hands up through his hair. Which gave him away, honestly. Because Zane had been the definition of a club boy when he was a teen, and gorgeous women had been his poison, all of whom would obviously still be around, so it would not be odd for anyone in a bar to know him. But with Veronica in town...especially with the mention of Genesis.

He was quiet for a moment, tilting his good ear towards the livingroom. Mia was still talking, loudly, and Genesis was humoring her the few times she actually let him speak. Still, he dropped his voice low when he looked back at Ray. "Before you get any ideas, it's not about me...at least I don't think it is. It's all about him."

He was quiet for a moment, honestly wondering how much he should say. Zane himself didn't have a lot of secrets. Given the fact that Ray had worked his case ten years ago, his life was laid bare. And he'd always been a naturally honest person. These days he just didn't have an interesting enough life to need secrets. But...last night...he'd avoided using Veronica's name when talking to his lover. He honestly should have figured she'd end up in a bar. She had said she was staying for awhile.

He held up a hand that he hoped translated to 'don't punch me, let me explain.' "I'm willing to bet all my money that it was Veronica. Indonesia, ruined my life for awhile, Veronica. I haven't seen or even thought about her since then. She came into town yesterday with some very, very upsetting art and then peaced out of my gallery. I haven't told Gen that she was here yet. Not because I'm keeping secrets but because...he was upset enough."

Zane didn't have secrets. Genesis did. And he'd be willing to bet Ray probably knew more about his lovers past than he did. Ray was older, for one, and had known Gen longer. And Zane knew why some things were kept from him. "I don't know how much I should say...I don't want him to get upset with me...but it's bad, Ray. It's really bad."

It was bad enough he didn't really thing Veronica had anything to do with it. She was just the pretty package meant to ruffle their feathers. It made him wonder though how much she knew. What were the chances she'd just run into Ray? And how exactly had the conversation turned onto him and Genesis? Surely she wasn't just going up to people and saying "I know Zane Kostantine." Granted, he supposed it'd be as easy as someone asking her why she was in the city. Still...it didn't sit right with him.

Ray crossed his arm as he listened to the younger male. It was Zane who had a history with women. From what Ray knew of Genesis, the changeling didn't do women, metaphorically or literally. They were just missing that certain anatomical part that made him oh-so-happy. That's why when the younger pureblood had implied that it was about Genesis, Ray was skeptical. He fixed the other vampire with a stare, one of those looks that said he'd better choose his next words carefully. Luckily, Zane got it and started in on explaining more thoroughly.

Veronica was a very touchy subject for all three vampires. Zane had slipped, barely but he did. Genesis had become a mess, convinced that the younger man would leave him for a women eventually. Then there was Ray, who had to pick up the pieces of someone he loved dearly. It was convenient that Veronica would pop up now, but then again they were vampires. With such long lifespans there was always the chance of the past coming back at some point.

Zane's hesitation to elaborate though, worried Ray. Genesis never meant 'bad'. For the century Ray had known him, the changeling had been drama free. He had been powerful, confident, and safe. Genesis was the one people would go to for solutions, not the one who needed to have help with his own problems. That's just not the way things were…or rather had been.

"I love him Zane." It was something that all three of them knew, including Genesis. He had chosen Zane though and that was something that Ray had to accept. In a way he was still trying to accept that. "You know I'll do anything to make sure that trouble keeps away from him." Ray's eyes wondered to look out the kitchen doorway and into the living room. He could see Mia and Genesis, the child making the changeling play with a Ken doll while she took a Barbie.

He took a few steps so that he couldn't be seen from the other room. "Do you want me to look into her? See why she's here?" Ray asked as a squeal sounded from his daughter. "I can postpone Europe if I need to."

Zane was silent for a moment, thinking over his options. It was so odd for Genesis to be the one in any kind of trouble. The man was always so calm, controlled, powerful. Even when Alarick had nearly beaten him to death, he'd found half the case that got the man sentenaed. The way he had been the night before...Zane had never seen him like that. He rubbed at his jaw before looking at the two in the livingroom again.

"I know," he muttered. "I love him, too." It was just as obvious as Ray's statement. Zane had changed a lot for Genesis, without a complaint. He'd turned his life around, grown up, and done things he'd swore he never would have just to keep the changeling in his life. He made it his personal goal each and every day to make sure Gen knew how much he was loved. He also knew what it felt like to love the changeling...it was all consuming, the kind of thought one couldn't shake from the back of their mind. It was why he couldn't ever hate Ray...because he understood that feeling so well. It was also why he was talking about their current problems. It was why he knew the man was being completely honest. He really would do anything.

He sighed heavily and picked up his mug again. "I don't want to take you away form your family." Like most vampires, Ray's family was a long, living line, and were all fairly old save for little Mia. For someone that hadn't gown up with much family at all, Zane appreciated the importance of it. Especially for a child. "But I don't think I can handle this alone. And...it's too much stress to add to Genesis' shoulders. Wish we could just send him off to Europe. He could really use a vacation."

Zane watched his partner and the tiny pureblood play for a moment before he looked down at the mug in his hands. He wanted to tell Ray everything, but it felt...like an invasion of privacy almost. Gen hadn't even really wanted Zane to know, would he mind him sharing the rest of the information? But Veronica was a problem...even if it was just a slight annoyance. A decade or not, Zane didn't want to be left alone with her. Not because he was afraid he'd make the same mistakes...no, he was one hundred and ten percent committed. But because he was afraid she would get under his skin. Claw at his insecurities. And he didn't need that on top of everything. He needed to be sound, for Genesis.

"I'm not...I can't ask you to pick him over your kid but...you have a way of thinking around corners that I don't." It was a skill Zane lacked. As a mind reader, he had a pretty straight forward way of thinking...or of getting things he wanted out of someone else. "And you're a damn good sounding bored." If Zane got stuck, he could toss something out and Ray could reshape it. They worked oddly well together when they weren't fighting. "So...maybe just...stay easily accessible." In the age of technology, that really wasn't a hard request.

Ray sighed, running a hand through his hair in frustration. He got there were things in Zane and Genesis' relationship that he couldn't be apart of. There were things the couple wouldn't talk about with him. It hurt, but it was something he had to accept. All he could do was wait for them to let him know when he was needed.

"Alright…" Ray said, fixing his gaze on the other pureblood. "My cell will be on the entire time that I'm gone. Cross my heart." He did the motion as well, making a small X with his fingers where the organ would be found. "Seriously though, there better be no more instances with busty blondes or so help me I will stake you with something sharp and silver." It was a joke, but there was also a promise in the statement. A repeat of the past was the last thing that Ray wanted, especially with Genesis feeling off.

Slipping back into his signature smirk he walked up to the younger male, slinging his arm around Zane's shoulders. "On a more important topic, make sure you and Genesis are free on Thursday. I'm off on Friday to pack and Saturday my plane leaves, so it's my only chance to get some loving before I go off to battle." Because they both knew pureblood family reunions were just that.

Separating from Zane, Ray headed into the living room and scooped his child up. Mia squirmed as Genesis stood to stand with them. The changeling's eyes were bright and happy, it was one more reason to love his daughter even more for making Genesis feel that way. He put the girl down, ruffling her hair before nudging her away teasingly. Mia stamped her little foot and walked away.

Placing a hand on the changeling's lower back, Ray softly pushed him closer. His mouth moved the Genesis' ear, whispering about his plans. The older vampire grinned with every word, shaking his head in laughter. Ray leaned down, pecking Genesis on the lips as he explained his bed plans in detail.

Mia in the mean time, had wondered to her bag, hefting the thing onto her back and making her way towards the kitchen. She stopped in the doorway, big brown eyes looking up at Zane. "Hi."

Zane understood the older Purebloods frustration, he really did. Even he wanted to tell Ray, but he couldn't, and probably wouldn't unless it came down to it. He nodded at the promise of a cell always being on, because he knew it would be. The next words, however, made him shake his head quickly. He had no need for busty blondes in his life, and he wasn't going to let it happen. No way.

Zane snorted at the topic change, rolled his eyes slightly. Battle it was, no doubt. Pureblood families really weren't the easiest activities in the world. He could make sure he was free on Thursday, probably wouldn't be too terribly hard for Gen to get off. He'd just have to move some things around, no big. Besides, Zane was a fan of group activities. He picked his mug up as Ray let him go, leaning on the counter where he could see his lover. Genesis looked better. Shoulders relaxed, eyes bright. After all this time...it no longer killed him to watch Ray cuddle up to his lover. The fact that Genesis was happy...that was all that really mattered to Zane. So if sharing him brought on that laugh, Zane would share. On occasion. Sometimes.

He was lost in his own thoughts for awhile, thinking about the painting sitting in his gallery that he was going to have to deal with sooner rather than later, when a little voice snapped him out of his thoughts. He looked down at Mia for a second in shock, and for awhile that was how they stayed. She was staring at him, big brown eyes unblinking and waiting. He was staring at her like she could bite. Well, actually, she could. Probably pretty hard too. "Uh...hi."

The two vampires stared at one another, like they were waiting for someone to yell 'fight' and the two would duke it out. It was almost comical the way they looked. Then Mia pointed to Zane's mug. "I want." She stated, moving closer and tugging on his pants with one of her hands. If there was one thing Mia wasn't, it was shy.

Noticing both the little girl and his lover's absence, Genesis turned his gaze to the doorway. Ray trailed kisses down the side of his face to his neck, still whispering naughty things all the while. The changeling could see the interactions between Zane and Mia and as the little girl gripped the other man's pants, Genesis grabbed Ray's face gently and pushed.

"There's always something taking you away from me…" Ray muttered as the changeling left his side. Genesis could see the almost panicked look on his lover's face. He picked Mia up, settling her on a hip and grabbed the mug she had been using earlier.

He would have made her another meal, but Ray announced that they had to get going. Genesis walked the two to the door, hugged Mia tightly and kissed Ray goodbye. The pureblood lingered a little too long, stirring things in Genesis' stomach in the process before detaching his mouth and giving his undivided attention to his daughter.

Once the door was closed, the changeling pressed his head to the cool wood. Sex was…well, at the moment Genesis wasn't sure what his feelings towards the activity were. With his main distraction gone, the changeling had to remember exactly what was going on.

Remembering Antonio literally made any excitement he had been feeling leave. Knowing that Zane knew, made him anxious. Genesis groaned softly, hitting his forehead against the door with a dull thud. Things were…complicated to say the least.

Kids really did bother Zane, so much so he was prepared just to give Mia whatever she wanted just so she would leave him be. Before he made the decision though, she was gone. Genesis was walking the pair to the door, and the moment it was closed...things shifted.

It was like the air changed once they were left alone. And not in the good way it used to...in a way that meant Genesis was remembering the night before. It wasn't until the changeling groaned that Zane moved from his spot. He sat his mug aside and walked up behind his lover, hands going to rub at his shoulders.

"Hey," he said softly. "Don't stress about it, okay? I'll take care of everything. Just...do you wanna do something today? We could go enjoy the water, or go into the city. Curl up and watch a movie....whatever." There was a small chance Genesis would rather just be left alone, and if that was the case Zane would go, but he had a feeling it probably wouldn't come to that.

Feeling Zane's hands massage at his shoulders didn't really help, in fact they made the changeling tense up just the slightest bit more. Genesis knew his lover was trying to make him feel better, knew he should be appreciating the gestures, but the way things were…they just weren't supposed to be that way.

Genesis turned around abruptly, making Zane's hands fall from his shoulders. "You're not supposed to take care of everything Zane." He reached up, hands cupping the other man's face. "That's my job. I'm supposed to be the one making things better, I'm the one who takes care of you." He was stressed, from work, from the painting, from the damned caller who he wasn't able to find. Genesis felt like he was losing ground in his once perfectly controlled world.

The changeling separated himself from his lover and made his way for the stairs. He took them fast and angrily. "You're so young Zane, you're supposed to be living your life." He shouted, marching through the hallway and into their bedroom. "Instead you stay at home waiting for me to come back in a shitty ass mood."

Genesis slammed open the master bathroom door, the knob cracking loudly into the wall as it swing. He made his way to the sink, turning the handles to cause a rush of water from the spout. "You shouldn't have to put up with all this crap." Quickly he splashed some of the warm water onto his face, taking a moment to try and cool down. "I can't even remember the last time I came home genuinely happy from work."

Zane's hands fell the moment Genesis turned around, and the abruptness actually made him take a step back. He was prepared for the moodiness though. The words the changeling said made him frown, because they'd been so good at the give and take for awhile now...

He followed Gen upstairs after awhile, listening to everything he said. The door slamming into the wall made him wince, and he checked for damage out of habit more than anything else before going to lean in the doorway of their bathroom. "Gen...I know you're stressed, I get that. But babe...I'm really happy. I like my life. I like my gallery and I like our home and I like being here when you get off work. This is living to me. I'm fine." He missed things, sure. He missed how carefree they used to be. He missed partying. But really...he was doing just fine with the way things were. Was it possibly unhealthy how much his world revolved around Genesis? Maybe. But he didn't even care. "You're job is hard. I know. I've been there and I'm sure it's only worse now, with all the equality movements..."

"Let me take care of you for once," he muttered. "You've done plenty of taking care of me." For years. Zane had literally torn them apart with his drama in the past. He'd leaned so heavily on Genesis for so long.

"I don't know how to…" Genesis replied with a tired voice. It was true, he had no idea how to let someone else take care of him. For his entire life he had been taking care of others; taking care of their needs, running households, and even advising when the situation called for it. There had never been a time when someone sat him down and simply asked him what he wanted. There was always a catch waiting at the end of the question.

His shoulders slumped as he walked passed Zane and back into their bedroom. He pulled the covers back and crawled in, curling the blanket around himself like a makeshift cocoon. Really it was childish and he knew he was being rather irrational, but…things. He had too much responsibility and not enough of an outlet to deal with all the crap he had to put up with.

"I just want to sleep sometimes and not wake up." It was morbid and the changeling frowned as he said the words. "Okay, eventually I'd like to wake up, but I know all the same problems are just going to be there waiting for me." He quickly corrected not wanting to scare Zane. Genesis took a deep breath. "I don't want you to see things like that painting…it makes me sick to think that there could be more like it. More that show me weak and show you just how used I am."

Zane got that Genesis didn't know how...it made sense. The changeling was a caretaker by nature, and the role fit him well. Which was why Zane asked...because for once, he was in the position to do so. More than just after work, more than little things here and there, but...all together. If there was anything Zane understood, it was stress. He'd been there. The situations weren't the same but...he'd had Genesis' thoughts before. Plenty of times.

He watched his lover walk back to bed, curl up and make himself comfortable. Zane didn't follow, but he did twist around to look at him instead of the inside of their bathroom. The next words, however, made his blood run cold, and it took everything in him to keep his expression blank. Not a lot scared Zane...but sentences like that did. He had to remind himself that sometimes...they were just expressions.

"I know," he muttered after awhile. "I don't like it either. But...honey, it's...I can deal with it, okay? It's a piece of your past and it sucks but...we're here now. So..." He was silent again then sighed as he stepped off the wall. "Do you want me to leave you alone for a bit?"

Did he want to be left alone? Genesis honestly had to think about it. If Zane left him alone there would be nothing keeping the memories at bay. Antonio hadn't been the only one to commission artwork and he wasn't the only one who left a bad taste in the changeling's mouth. Genesis just didn't know. Irrational, childish, confused. He was feeling everything at once it seemed.

He rolled over on the bed, onto his back so he could look over at Zane without any difficulty. "No…" The changeling muttered with a sigh. He reached his hand out towards his lover. Eventually Zane wondered over to take it and Genesis pulled him down onto the mattress, curling around the younger man and placing his head in Zane's lap.

"There are just things you don't understand love and for that I'm so grateful." Genesis spoke slowly as he rubbed his fingers over one of the pureblood's legs. "You'll never understand what it's like to be treated like a pet or piece of furniture, or to treat someone like that. You'll never know the humiliation or the pain." He sighed, sitting up for a moment and looking Zane in the eyes.

A soft smile turned his lips as he gazed at his lover. "You're so good Zane, too good to have survived in a world like that, too good to even imagine it." Gently Genesis brought his hands up, cupping the pureblood's cheeks once more and running his thumbs along the other male's cheekbones. "I'm so grateful for you…and so scared to lose you."

He frowned for a moment. "You put me on this pedestal and I don't want to…I don't know." The changeling gnawed as his bottom lip, trying to think of what words to say. "I don't want you to start thinking of me differently. I want a life with you, a family, but I'm so nervous that you won't want that anymore."

The moment Gen's head was in his lap, Zane went to stroking his fingers though his dark hair, which was both out of sheer habit and because he knew it always seemed to sooth the older male. Sometimes, when he was in a good mood, it'd even make him purr.

Genesis was completely right. Despite the fact that Zane had been treated like shit for half of his life, he was a pureblood, royal, male. Not to mention born in a very different time period. To be honest, he was grateful too. There was no doubt in his mind that he wouldn't have survived the things Genesis lived through...and he didn't even know. Not really.

When the changeling sat, he leaned into the touch against his face like he always did, listened intently. There was only one word that made him do a double take. Zane didn't say 'family' a lot. Usually because it left a bad taste in his mouth. But...at the time being, that really wasn't something to stress out about. "Gen..." He sighed a little, trying to pick his words carefully. "I love you so much...I don't think I'll ever even be able to tell you how much. I know you have a past. I know some of it is awful. But the only thing I really care about? Are the last ten years or so. You've lived dozens of lifetimes. More than I can even imagine. And they've all shaped you into who you are now. Does that mean I like what some of them involve? No. But it's got nothing to do with you and...everything to do with the fact that when you love someone...you never ever want to see them hurt. That's what bothers me...because you mean so much to me...I wish you could smile and laugh about everything. But I know how the real world works. I'm prepared for that. All I've ever wanted is to be with you."

Honestly...Zane wasn't sure if he put Genesis on a pedestal more than that the older male had always kind of demanded to be there. He just had that kind of air about him. The young pureblood didn't even have the imagination to think of a reason why he would ever be the one to leave...ever be the one not to want their future together. If anything, it would be the other way around, and the past concreted that theory. More than once.

Back
Top Bottom