Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How many people get turned on?

David Merlyn

Super-Earth
I'm curious how many people get turned on with these rp's? I'll admit that if it's good enough and I'm into the character and setting it does the trick.

On the other side it can all just be pure writing and that happens too where you simply want to be creative and express something you normally can not or would not in real life. I've had that as well.

Now that I've spilled...my guts...let's hear from you.

Roleplay for me is generally not something that arouses me. I have had only a handful of games, in all my roleplaying - that have actually managed to truly and deeply arouse me. Most of the time it's an exercise for my mind, some are just good for masturbation fodder. But as a general rule I don't end up getting aroused by my games.

Given that I'm a Sapiosexual... it can take quite a bit more to get me going. Now that I've matured and leveled out a little, as leveled out as I can get, it just means that it takes me a lot more mentla stimulation to get truly aroused.

It's nothing against my writing partners, it's just part of who I am.

My lack of sexual arousal based on roleplays is partially why I rarely if ever do pure smut games. Most of my games are Plot before smut, and that's just how I like it. Sex is a spice, like garlic. If you add too much garlic to your roast... it ruins the dish.

For me it depends. If it's a general PG-13 role play I don't usually get turned on, but for smutty role plays I often do. Though I guess it doesn't always take me much to get excited, heh. But if it's a smutty role play and neither I or my partner are getting turned on then neither of us are doing very good, or at least that's what I think. It seems that, to me at least, the point of a smutty role play is to able to enjoy it and be creative but also become excited by it one way or another.

I agree with most of the points here. However I don't like the idea of writing sexually simply for creative reasons. There are so many other avenues that can be taken for that. After the purpose of erotica is arousal, so I feel if I'm not being aroused or my writing is not stimulating someone else that I need to do better. I want that moment where I'm told the other person is turned on, or suddenly is gone for a bit of time only to write back and say they couldn't help themselves. To me that shows that my writing skills have grown, and hopefully the favor will be returned ;)

David don't take it as a fault of your writing, you have to remember that people have varying degrees of sexuality. My sexuality is much harder to stimulate than others. I never go into a roleplay seeking arousal, which is why my stories are all plot over smut. It's because I know that the roleplay will likely not arouse me, as I said only a handful have over the 17 years I have been roleplaying, and that's no fault of my partner. I am going to be completely honest and say I really don't want to know if my partner is aroused by what I am writing. For me writing is just writing, roleplaying is just roleplaying. I have a separation of myself and my characters, and I prefer not to cross that line. I take it as a compliment if my partner makes a comment that they are really enjoying it, but I don't need to know that they are pleasuring themselves to our roleplay. To me that just crosses a line that should not be crossed, as I do my roleplaying as a means of escapism from my day to day life.

You say there are other avenues, but in reality each person roleplays for their own reasons. I don't think it is fair to other writers to say that they could go to other avenues. I mean there are Demisexuals and Asexuals that roleplay, none of the ones I've roleplayed with get sexually aroused from the games. Demisexuals require a deep emotional connection with someone to stimulate sexual pleasure, and Asexuals just have no inteerst in sexual interactions for themselves. That shouldn't limit their capabilities for roleplay, as I said most people that do the kind of gaming I do - Plot over Smut - consider the sexual aspect to only be a spice. It's nice to have, but not overdo it.

Perhaps I miswrote. I'm not trying to say that for everyone sexual writing is bad, just that as a purely creative style it is hard for me grasp that that's the sole aspect of it.

In terms of roleplaying If the Rp is just smut, a term I never used until I came here, then I see the objective as arousal, over plot. Personally I'd rather do very little sexual and far more plot. But that's just me and to each their own. If there is sex in an rp I like to move the characters, give them something to open up and explore themselves about. It has to move the story. I have had plenty of people(Not here btw) get into a good rp, for it to turn just sexual and drop off. So I have to wonder was that the intended purpose from the start? If so I'm fine helping out, just let it be know what it is your after from the start is all. Just my two cents. Thank you all for your responses as well.

Not everyone is interested in sex in a game, and some people are interested in pretending they want a story and then dropping off after the smut. To be completely honest each persons reasons for roleplaying may not completely mimic anothers. For me, I need story first and foremost. If there is no story, there is no game. I don't care about the sexual aspect, though I do require that it comes into play at some point. Not for my personal arousal, but for my betterment as a writer and dealing with situations that I might not personally deal with. Furthermore, I use the sexual aspect of a roleplay to see how well the characters do mesh. Sometimes a game can fall apart after the sex, because a character will completely change in personality from sex - and that just doesn't interst me. A night of sex shouldn't make a character hav a complete 180 in personality, that just seems really extreme.

To be honest, I get very little roleplays. But that is because I am very specific, and very straight forward with roleplay partners. I know what I like, after spending 17 years roleplaying - and I am not willing to completely sacrifice my wants just so I can have a game. I did that enough when I was younger, and now I just want to enjoy my games. So what if I only have 4 actively running games on BM? I want quality over quantity of games, and I want specifically what I am looking for. Sex is important as a spice, but I never make my games the sole focus of it. I also require that writers put a bit more thought into their posts - as I have a minimum requirement of 1 paragraph per character I am playing with/as. For me, the games that have aroused me are the ones that mentally challenged me to a level where I went "Oh Gods, I can't wait for another post." - One such game, is on another site, has been running for over a year... has over 15 pages... and the posts are always a minimum of 6 paragrapns. That is what gets me aroused in a game. Amazing detail, deep story, mental stimulation that makes me wiggle in my seat and go "Now THIS Is what I am talking about."

Of course, all of the arousal versus writing aspect for me is based around the fact that I am Sapiosexual. Which can be very hard to stimulate, I require deep conversation, sometimes hours of mental foreplay - just to figure out whether or not I want to have sex. Most guys just aren't up for that.

I completely agree with the things TDM is saying. As an ace myself, I find that I get bored very quickly if a role-play does not have sex scenes in it but I feel very disconnected from the scenes while writing them. Mostly because the back and forth with each of us putting in 2-3 short paragraphs of reaction and further action descriptions, the development of a scene like that can take an hour or more. Reading back over it, however, it is very hard to resist the stimulation it causes, reading it all together in a couple of minutes. But the actual writing of it is a mental stimulation. I find sex entertaining to write about and not just from a sexual arousal standpoint. It's hard to explain how the rush is different, the adrenaline, between the writing and the reading of it. Because often, I'll be writing something super indepth and passionate and dirty and eating Mike & Ike's on my side of the comp.

There is satisfaction at the end of it and a sort of feeling of release that now we can move on to something else plot related but it's not orgasmic, this feeling. Like the difference in feeling between hungry and breathing. When you're hungry, you know what is aching, what part of your body is causing that feeling, you know instinctively what you want, what you're craving and when you feed into it, the satiation is a lot different from being in a smoky room and suddenly bursting outside and taking in a deep breath of fresh air.

(also, just minor irritant but why are people making the declarations that it is sex/smut rps that get them aroused? Why are you making that distinction? No, really. "I don't really get sexually aroused by the games that don't have any sex in them." Yes. omg, yes. 8[ I just, I'm a little baffled, like we weren't already talking about those. "lemme hear about those non-sex rps that really do it for ya, mate. Ever beat off when writing about adventure? This might be the thread for you!")

To answer your minor irritant it's because adventure/plot based rps can have sex scenes them but the whole rp is not about something that revolves around a sexually stimulated environment. Such as University of Fuck. Teachers students are there to learn the art of sex and rough and tumble, you get the picture. Those sort of rps are to encourage and are based on sex. A simple scene in a plot based rp is to get the characters and story moving.

Again all my comments aren't to degrade or belittle. I'm not here to tell you or even suggest what others should do/find enjoyable. I'm just curious is all.

David Merlyn said:
To answer your minor irritant it's because adventure/plot based rps can have sex scenes them but the whole rp is not about something that revolves around a sexually stimulated environment. Such as University of Fuck. Teachers students are there to learn the art of sex and rough and tumble, you get the picture. Those sort of rps are to encourage and are based on sex. A simple scene in a plot based rp is to get the characters and story moving.

Again all my comments aren't to degrade or belittle. I'm not here to tell you or even suggest what others should do/find enjoyable. I'm just curious is all.

My mistake. I guess I do not consider an rp with sex in it, needing the clarification of "only my rps with sex in them get me aroused" when yes, that is obvious, your rps without any sex in them might have trouble sexually arousing you. There is also a distinction between sexual arousal, which has very straight forward connotations due to the implied body responses involved, and mental stimulation or the adrenaline rush you get when writing something that works well and excites on another level.

Understood but I do not see anyone here as being overly uptight or antagonistic towards you. :) What we're having is a discussion and these opinions offered between TDM and myself are merely differing from your own clarifying how it is specifically for us and that no, we do not sexually engage while writing sexual scenes in rp.

I got you. I wasn't feeling attacked by any means, just clarifying is all. I wouldn't have posted this in the first place if I didn't want to see people different opinions from mine. I hope more follows.

Roleplays in general used to arouse me relatively easy. But now that is becoming less so.

I only seem to get turned on if I am roleplaying with a person I am familiar with on a personal level. Or when the characters within the roleplay have developed and connected sufficiently.

I just like writing stories. I don't think my writing is perfect, I don't think my writing is the worst either. Though I do admit to fearing that someone will ask me for a writing sample. Or wrongly assume my asking "is there anything about this idea you would add to or change" as a lack of creativity, instead of what it truly is, an attempt by me to make sure that both enjoys writing the story. I finally got an F-List but am sort of wishing now I didn't. My "NO's" list is the longest. I mean the majority of what is listed on the F-List I don't want to think about, much less fear that if I say no to most of it I'll never get a writing partner. I don't write to become sexually aroused, not saying it wouldn't happen, but that is not my reason for wanting to write. And a writing partner telling me that what I wrote caused them to become aroused .. would make me instantly uncomfortable. Not kidding. Seriously, I would rather not know.

Absolutely. I'm someone that gets quite lost in stories and often emotionally attached to the characters in them. Whenever I'm writing or planning out a story, even if it's the early goings and full of fairly benign world building and character development, my imagination tends to wander well ahead of the present to potential story beats, character interactions, sexy scenes, and so on. It gets exciting and often pretty vivid in my head, regardless of whether we ever make it to the scene I'm imagining. Add on to that writing partners that can really put some visual detail in their portions, and yeah, I get into it.

When writing the scenes themselves, it's very hit and miss. If it's a strong scene, reading a partner's post and imagining my next one gets me going. Then when I buckle down to put it into words, it generally takes some concentration beyond what my libido is interested in.

Back
Top Bottom