Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lucifer's Angel [ Fieryangel and Terucin ]

Terucin

Planetoid
Sverdar Al'Verth, who had captained his own ship now for nearly half a decade, stood atop a small hill and watched the town below him burn as it was pillage and torn apart by his crew. He had to admit to himself, this was not his preferred method of garnering wealth and such. However, he had a large crew of near lawless men that he had to keep in line, and having them cooped up on a ship for months on end didn't lend itself very far to keeping order. He was far from having them following his every command like he might wish, not unlike a commander in an army should have utter control over his soldiers. So every so often he would find a promising town or coastal village such as this one, and unleashed his murderous horde upon the hapless victims.

He had no emotional connection with those dying below him, or the moral implications of his actions. Should any one of them approach him and accuse him of his crimes, he wouldn't bat an eyelash and would simply shoot the person before moving on. He no longer had any emotional attachment to death or dying, besides momentary inconvenience if someone around him died; now he had to find someone to replace them. Once he had emotional ties to death, but that had been so long ago that he hardly remembered it. His life was not one that lent itself towards empathy or even sympathy for others, either keep moving and do what was needed or get killed by those willing to continue. It wasn't to say that he didn't have emotions, he just rarely let them out or allowed them to alter his choices or perspective.

He descended from the hill into the town. He needed to start rounding his men up so that they could ship out before they lost the tide. He didn't mean to stick around and get caught, or worsen his reputation beyond what it always was. True, he was a pirate captain and that came with an ill reputation of its own, but he didn't need to be actively hunted down because of recent actions. For now he would walk through the chaos and see what he could find, if anything.

He wasn't worried that any of his men might confuse him for someone who needed killing. He stood at just above six feet and his skin had a naturally tanned tone to it that was very uncommon in this part of the world, both for this village and his men. He also wore a red overcoat over his dark clothes, which stood out amongst the fading light. His dark hair was worn loose, falling past his shoulders in gentle waves. Across one cheek was a scar from countless years ago when he was still young. His right arm was tied up in a sling, having been wounded by grapeshot from a recent scuffle against a rival pirate crew. He had won, of course, but it had cost him for some time. He had a good medic aboard his ship, so his life hadn't been in danger but is arm was out of commission for now.

His bright silver eyes darted back and forth as he strode through the ruined town, the only sign of any reaction or emotion on his passionless face as he saw many killed or raped around him. He idly wondered where his next big payload might be from, and how to go about achieving it. As he walked, his foot came down a hair's breadth from a child's head, but he seemed to pay the fact no attention as he strode forth.

The world was no stranger to death and destruction, the angel's heeding their calls from the other worldly plane, reaching out with ghostly hands and whispering with silent breath in hopes to influence those that could not see them. It was for this reason they had been summoned from human lives before, holding great potential to save not only the human race, but the earth as well. It was their angelic touched that warmed a murderer's heart, their whispers granting thoughts, ideas, and inspiration.

It was this night that the angelic creatures watched the village burn brightly, the sounds of women and children screaming reaching their ears even on this side of the light. Many souls were led through the gates, and one by one, all were busy welcoming new spirits, leaving no one left to offer their pure influence on those that did their dirty deeds, except for one. One angel was left, watching the heartless captain wander to gather his crew. Hate wasn't an emotion often experienced by the celestial being, but this particular man struck a wrong chord with her.

As fury shook her to the core, weeping for the pass destruction this one caused again and again, her form began to shift, the world around her swirling, the plane she knew enveloped into a hazy mist until it completely disappeared. She was left standing barefoot upon the cobblestone road, the light from the flickering flames dancing across her snow white flesh, radiating from her platinum mane. It would seem she had been granted humanity.

A whisper reached her ear, one she knew rather well from the other side, warning her that fate had changed. Her hatred turned her, and now a lesson must be learned in order to reclaim her status, and this one particular soul had to be saved. This news was not good, and a single tear was shed from her blue eyes, bluer than the deepest part of the sea. It was clear what she must do, but it wasn't a task that would be easy.

The air smelled of death and smoke, nearly choking her human form. In a fit, she fell to her knees, coughing up a storm, the whiteness of her dress gathering dirt, tainting its purity. It was then that she was noticed, it was clear she could, in fact, be seen by humans. In a panic, she tried to run only to find the shelters were burning brightly, and there was no escape from the pirate crew that was slowly descending upon her.

Sverdar's eyes gazed impassionately over the scenes of wreckage and carnage that they beheld before they swept on and seemed to instantly forget what they had just seen. Gore, dead, dying, ravished, crying, tortured, all adjectives that didn't faze the pirate for a second. In his line of work, he had long since learned to lock away such reactions and emotions so that they didn't end up tearing him apart. It made him better in the long run for what he must do. Right then he needed to regain control of his crew and salvage what he could from this little session of theirs. Unfortunately, he saw something that did cause him to react, as it was entirely unexpected. A female clad in white was suddenly running through the town, surrounded by the chaos of everything. He moved to place himself in her path and barked a sharp order for his men to back off and leave her alone. He couldn't tell what or why, but something about her struck him as different, and he couldn't just leave her to the mercy of the other men. Perhaps it was some whisper in his mind or different form of intervention, but he got the idea that she was different and it was in his interests for the moment to save her.

With a resigned sigh before hand, Sev drew in a breath and let out a shout that had been honed after years to cut across terrible storms, as well as battlefields with ease. "Miss in the white, if you would kindly come this way so that this crew does not cut you down by mistake?" he suggested, not really knowing what else to say, besides ask who the hell she was or why she struck him as different. She had made him feel something other than in control and emotionless, and it didn't sit well with the pirate for one second. He would have to sort through all this at a later point.

Death was not something the woman feared, but knowing what this cut throat crew could do was enough to strike terror into her heart. Angel or not, she was in a human form, and pain would be unavoidable. As all hope was lost of finding safety, the familiar voice of the captain barked an order, those whose minds were filled with naughty deeds and other inhuman things to do with her had suddenly stopped in their approach. Grisly teeth made up their smiles, some not having teeth at all, as they watched their captain call out to the lass, assuming he'd do away with her himself. Others, however, protested rather loudly with groans and shouts of ill feelings towards the captain. Why would he dare to spare the life of one maiden? It was a question none could answer, and it most certainly didn't make the crew very pleased.

She would not waiver as she walked to the man in charge, platinum mane flowing in the breeze behind as her dress billowed like the sails of a ship. With head held high, she drew a deep breath to the pits of her belly, using what could very well be the last to spit words of hatred. "Cut down by mistake, Sir? It appears the destruction your crew has caused was by no means a mistake. Surely, my death would be no different. So, please, do with me what you will, but leave this port, allow the survivors to rebuild. They've done you no harm, yet you've taken everything from them, including wives and children. Certainly there must be goodness in that black heart of yours somewhere." Expecting the back of a hand to meet her cheek, deep blue irises were hidden as they squinted shut tightly, bracing for impact.

Sverdar's eyebrow rose slightly upon hearing her words. They were full of passion and energy and emotions, hatred and retribution and perhaps a sense of entitlement? It was like suddenly gaining a breath of air in ways and cloistering to others to him. It was a very odd sensation to the man, but he reacted little more than the raising of his eyebrow. It also made him curious so as to how he would react. He knew that the crew was at least partially unhappy with him cutting them off from the mysterious maiden they had their focus on. He felt like she was different, so he couldn't kill her, but if he showed weakness he risked having his crew turned on him. It was a very precarious situation.

Looking around at the ruined village, he raised his eyebrow slightly higher again as he contemplated her words. "Survivors?" he asked dryly, returning his gaze to her. "Tell me, what survivors do you expect to see or find at this point? I can promise that no man is left alive and unscathed. At best he is alive and bleeding out, or maimed for life. The women and children slaughtered or raped and broken. I am certain that there are still living, and I can leave them as you wish. Just realize that by doing so, with no homes, wealth, resources, or strong left alive, they will die. Winter will be arriving in about a month's time. But as you wish, I will spare them," he raised his head and looked at his men, raising his voice. "Return to the ship! We set sail before we lose the tide. Next stop: Tortuga*!"

((*Yes, I understand that I am unoriginal. So sue me XD))

Peering at him with sheer confusion and curiosity, it came as great surprise when the back of his hand did not raise to meet her cheek. It was great relief, but now his silence twisted a knife in the pit of her stomach, perhaps he was thinking a fate far worse than a slap upon the face. Her own brow lofted in response to his own as he offered a rebuttal to her demands. She could feel that survivors were few and far between, having sought refuge in the trees and underground caverns on the outskirts of this village. It wasn't anything he needed to know, and refused to give any sort of answers. "It appears, Sir, you have lost your sense of hope. When tragedy strikes, fortune will find those who truly need it. Those who hope and pray and have goodness in their hearts will find what they need to rebuild. That, I can promise you."

It seemed that the captain was finished here, which was a relief now that the town had been destroyed. Her worries were with the townspeople, but knew her friends on the other side would aid them every way the could. Her heart couldn't bare the thought of this monster sailing to another port, only to burn it to the ground and repeat the same game. A hand flew up to grip his arm, daring to touch him, daring to stare him in the eyes with further demands. "You will pay for your misdeeds. Your black heart has eaten all the goodness from your soul, and you are doomed for a fate far worse than death when you meet your maker. Stand down, repent and change your ways." Her voice didn't waiver, nor did she tremble in fear. Determination filled her ocean blue eyes as they narrowed and met the captains. Her touch, the touch of an angel, was often capable of bringing about a sense of peace and happiness, or even healing. Would it work on such a lost soul? It couldn't be certain, but she had to try, even if her fate was now turned for the worst.

Sverdar's head came around in a measured response, his nearly glowing silver eyes meeting her deep blue eyes. If she had known the captain better, the angel might have been taken aback when there were flickers of emotion and a very faint wavering to be found in his eyes. It was very unusual for him to be affected by anything, or for him to show any reaction or emotion. Yet her words and the touch of her hand on his arm, while firm and solid seemed oddly soft, seemed to stir something within the pirate. The combination of her touch and words awakened something within him, memories and emotions he thought he had long since lost to the void which commonly held his days. Just where was all this coming from, and why did he feel like this female in front of him was becoming ever more important to him and his future by the moment they spent together? Yet despite his confusion and reservations, Sverdar's eyes remained locked with the angel's. Had the situation been any different or the two any anymore akin, it would have been a very deep and personal gaze that they shared as their wills clashed. It was enough to send his crew away, leaving the two alone and unhindered for the time being.

"Stand down and change my ways, you say?" he asked, amusement tingeing the fringes of his even and steely voice. "You command this as if you have the authority to demand such acts from me. Furthermore, you attempt to direct me so after saying that I will pay, my soul has been eaten away, and I am to be doomed to such a horrible fate. Tell me, as you seem to at least be smart enough to recognize that I have lost my sense of hope, for what reason should I ever do as you say? It cannot be for hope, for I have none. It can't be for salvation, for I am doomed. It can't be for my eternal soul, for that has been eaten away and ceases to exist," He shook his head slightly, but his gaze remained locked with hers. Their very appearances seemed at odds, he being as dark as she was light, his voice as hard as hers was light. The only way this differed was in their eyes, where his were alight and hers darker than could be imagined. Such a coupling was truly unique, and somehow had an air of being determined by fate. "No, there seems to be no reason for me to do as you say. I see no reason to even try, when it seems the afterlife and cosmos themselves have set themselves against me should I attempt this foolish course of action of yours. I do not know where you hail from, but I suggest you return. The world of which you have just entered is not one where you can survive as you are."

Confusion flitted across his face, so quickly that it seemed to never have been there and a trick of the light and imagination. Yet to his core, Sverdar was struck by a profound sense of unease, as he had already acted out of character. He didn't care about others, he had no emotional attachment to them. So why had he just offered her advice and tried to urge her to leave before harm came to her? It didn't make any sense to the man who had lived for so long by remaining in total control of his words and actions. Feeling protective of another was too drastic of a change for him to allow.

Amusement flitted across her face, laughter light and air bubbling from the pits of her belly. Yes, the angel dared to laugh at the pirate, her grip upon his arm tightening with need and desperation. "Foolish man! With thoughts such as those, you'll be doomed for eternity. Haven't you heard of forgiveness? Anything that's broken can surely be fixed, hence the warnings I give." Rich sapphire eyes only darkened with her annoyance, hatred blooming for the man whose fate she was destined to change. Why was it he, the coldest pirate of the seas, that she'd be bound? The flames surrounding them flared up, as if she controlled the elements herself. The chilly sounds of shattering glass and beams breaking in the buildings filled their silence.

Sighing in defeat, her grip loosened, hand falling to her side. "Very well. Be stubborn, consider me a fool. Though I suggest you heed my warning. Change your ways, or the fates will surely promise you a rather untimely demise fitting for your crimes, not only here but on the other side as well." It was clear he wasn't about to alter his ways, or his belief, leaving the angel rather frustrated and unsure what to do. Their influence over others wasn't often so difficult, not that it was done quite often due to the laws of free will. However, the darkest ones often needed influence. "If you desire I leave, very well, though sadly I cannot return to where I came from. It would seem my fate is tied to yours." Bowing before him sarcastically, her gaze was no longer warm, but ice. "Thank you for dooming us both."

Speaking her peace, she turned and began to walk off, a gentle sway of her hips accenting the curves of her body as she slipped further into the smoke that billowed through the cobblestone road. A heavy sigh eased from her lips, fingers coming to rub her forehead now that a clue wasn't had as to where to go from here. It would seem her duty would be far more difficult than imagined, and a plan was surely needed.

Sverdar watched the odd female walk away, his mind a whirlwind of thoughts and images, most of which hardly made any sense when he attempted to wring coherent thoughts from it all. Had she been listening when he stated that he had no hope left to hold onto? To expect forgiveness was pure folly, so all that was left was to hope for forgiveness, and one can't hope if there is no hope to have. Yet she spoke of it with such emotion and force as if it was common and to be expected. He knew his life, and highly doubted there was any forgiveness for people like him. It was simply a fact of life for him at this point, and one he had long since acknowledged and resigned himself to. Now this female came along and seemed hell-bent on trying to change his mind with passioned words and veiled threats. Just who was she, and where had she come from? She didn't seem to be normal to him, and in several aspects that he didn't even fully understand just yet. Karma sure seemed like a bitch, with sister fate sharing the cruel sense of humor.

Secondly, he couldn't get a read on her, her emotions, or much about her for that matter. For the pirate captain, he ruled with equal amounts force and cunning; part of that came from reading others and being able to predict their actions correctly. However, her emotions seemed to vary to such extreme extents that he couldn't lock her down or make anything out of her, and it was an unsettling notion that there was someone who he couldn't read just because of how unpredictable they were. Within the span of ten seconds, he had seen her go from light amusement to annoyance which verged on outright hatred which in turn gave way to resignation that just as quickly formed into harshly cold and sharp sarcasm. He might have even missed an emotion or two, but that was a very drastic change between different emotion every couple of seconds. He had been out of touch from most people for so long, that he very briefly wondered if that was normal and he had suppressed everything for so long that he couldn't tell what was normal anymore. This female was very different, and her words were filled with such conviction that he doubted that he could just turn and leave her like this. She would just end up making his life harder should he try that.

With few other options at his disposal, Sverdar followed after the mysterious female, albeit at a carefully maintained distance. After a few moments of internal organization, he finally decided that he might as well attempt to learn more about this unknown figure.

"You say several things that make no sense; however you say them with more conviction than most men do when describing the passage of time or gravity," Sverdar noted, his voice cutting through the smoke and din without having to shout or raise his tone overmuch. "What is it you mean that our fates are tied? Perhaps a better question might be why you decided to leave where you came from to tie our fates together so interchangeably." He wasn't certain if she would answer, or if he would just get another holier-than-thou tirade, but either ay he had to make the effort to understand what he could and gather information now rather than later.

Gently she bent at the knee, fingers plucking something from a pile of debris covered in ash and soot. The item she held was tarnishd, black as night, but one could not mistake what it once was. A tiny doll with long hair and a beautiful dress that was no doubt made with the love of a mother was held close to her heart, sadness filling her eyes as she looked around, not a surviving child in sight. What cruel monster would take a life, especially one so small and fragile? By the time the captain had reached her, she was already weeping for the tragic loss of so many lives. No doubt her friends would welcome them all with open arms, guiding their spirits into the light, though sadly she couldn't join them, and was now stuck to witness on this ungodly plane.

Unafraid of showing emotion, tears flowed freely down the curves of her cheeks as she spun around, icey hues once again locked upon Sverdar. "If you were willing to expand your mind and open your eyes to see what not only sat right before you, but the entire picture, perhaps things would make more sense. However, you seem convinced that there's no hope to be had, that you're damned no matter what you choose. If that be the case, be gone and life your life of greed. Steal money, cut down lives that were only just beginning, rob a woman of her virtue. It's quite clear that this world is a cruel place, and only because of men such as yourself."

The tiny precious doll was set back upon the ground, soot now covering her fingers and lingering upon the gown that was once white as snow, but had become tainted with the destruction flowing freely in the breeze around her. His question of their fates pulled at the corner of her lips, and she stepped forward. "Don't you believe in destiny, Sir? That everything happens for a reason? How else would I have ended up here with you, and not by my choosing? If destiny is not something you believe in, then enlighten me. Why is it you cannot kill me or simply walk away? Why are you so intrigued? Perhaps somewhere in that black beating heart of yours, you can feel the pull of fate."

His crew had retired to the ships, bell ringing frantically in a signal that they were ready to depart. Looking towards the docks, then back to the captain, she was once again the angelic beauty she had been without a touch of anger or hatred in her eyes. All she portrayed was peace, and happiness, now that there was hope after all. "I am Annalie. Whisper my name into the wind when you think of me, and our paths might just cross again." Expecting him to head off, she turned to watch the rest of the town burn, as there was nothing else she could do.

Sverdar raised an eyebrow slightly, still noting the rapid fluctuations of her emotions, but also how they seemed to flow together in a natural and seamless progression. This female in front of him was far from normal or what he might have expected of anybody at that point. She seemed to march to the beat of her own drum, refusing to give ground to anything before her, whether it be reality or a pirate captain. Just what was it that made her so certain about everything she said and her actions, and still allowed her to exhibit such varied emotions like she had been? This day was just growing stranger and stranger by the minute.

"There is some virtue to what you say, I will give you that," Sverdar stated after a few moments. "However, the reason why the world is such a cruel place is not because of men like me. It's because others do not step up and stop people like me. You're at least trying to do just that, so take solace in that fact. You're still doomed, of course, but you're trying, which is a lot more than many 'good' people ever do."

He glanced towards his ship, with the ringing bell, and began walking away, back to the life and order that he knew. However, he paused a few steps away and turned around. "On account of you wishing to try so hard, and me being more than happy to prove you wrong: come with me instead. I don't believe in fate or destiny, as you have stated, so leaving a meeting up to chance doesn't sit well with me. You're different from anyone else I have met, and I am uncertain as to why that may be. So come with, instead, and try to prove me wrong. When you fail, I will set you ashore unharmed and with provisions as needed. What do you say, Annalie?"

Sverdar highly doubted she would take his offer; hell, he wouldn't have taken the blasted offer had their situations been reversed. However, as much as he was beyond uneasy around this Annalie, he couldn't deny that something about her was different. Hence, he offered her the chance to freely come with, because with all the other myriad of oddities surrounding her and her appearance, there was some small part of him that wanted to see if he could prove her wrong after all as he expected, or was there more to her after all?

Annalie shook her head and laughed, staring in disbelief at the pirate. "The world is cruel because no one stops men like you." An amusing idea that had her grinning wildly. "How is it that good men must take responsibility for your actions? You're far more arrogant than I had grown to believe. Very well, I shall suffer the penance for your crimes if that is what you so believe. May the lord himself cast me to hell and damn my soul for eternity, because I had never tried to stop a man such as yourself before. Does that truly make any sense to you?" Little did he know, she was already damned, her heart full of hatred for such a man who would destroy a life without giving it a second thought.

Wracked with turmoil, she watched him walk away, tempted to chase him. A heavy sigh had herself turning to leave, though where to go she was rather unsure. However, as he turned to call out, she paused in her own steps, pondering the idea as she turned to face the captain. Slow and steady steps brought her close, coming to stand before him, their bodies nearly touching. A gentle aura surrounded her now, sapphire eyes looking sweetly up into his own. "You desire that I go with you? Do I interest you so? Very well."

She knew his reason, though cared little why. Her answer came quick without hesitation, and turning, she headed towards the dock. The wind was picking up, and as she moved, her dress billowed strongly in the wind like the eager sails upon the ship. "I shall hold you to your word, captain. But I wonder, what happens when I am proven right?" She had confidence, not about to let it waiver as weakness wasn't welcome here. Turning to glance over her shoulder, she'd make sure he was following.

Bare feet took her up the plank, boarding the ship as though she belonged on the seas. The crew stared in question, some armed and ready to take her to the brig, or perhaps her life. She simply stood tall, gentle eyes casting upon them all. A few even lowered their weapons, seeming to accept her upon their voyage, though they all would stare at the captain quizzically, some demanding answers.

Sverdar rolled his eyes to the heavens as the angel walked away, pausing as he noted the irony of the movement considering her previous words. It had been a long while since someone had decided to use religion against him, and now he was wondering just what he was getting himself into. It seemed that this female was going to be a constant headache from start to finish, but he felt better now that she would be staying. Perhaps now he could unravel the mysteries surrounding her and make sense of it all. It would have driven him insane otherwise, not being able to know just what it was about her that seemed so different.

He walked aboard the ship, raising an eyebrow at the crew who stood around, looking at him with varied emotions and reactions, a few bolder one attempting to speak up and make demands of him. It seemed that he would need to restore order once again to his men, something he was sadly all too familiar with having to do. With sharp commands and dire promises made, he quickly sent them all on their way, preparing the ship to once again set sail. He waved away their questions, merely claiming that Annalie was his portion of the loot claimed, and he had no problem shooting anyone who decided to try and steal from him. Once everyone had been sorted away, he turned and walked to his cabin, briefly signaling to the female to follow him, though he was fairly certain she would have even if he had tried to bar her from such an action.

"Good men must bear the responsibilities of men like me because that is the mantle they take up," Sverdar said once they were in his quarters. He made his way over to his desk, pulling a flask from a drawer. "Men like me live for ourselves, after all. We take what we want, as we want, and often how we want. We usually have little moral codes to live by, or reasons to follow laws or order of any form. As we do as we wish, because we want what we will, we are branded as bad an evil. This is because we steal, kill, pillage, threaten, blackmail and much more. We hold no responsibilities besides those of which we place on ourselves, rarely extending to anyone else," he took a brief drink from the flask to wet his throat before continuing.

"Now your 'good' men are different. They are on the side of good, and as such their actions are to benefit more than just themselves. They are heroes and fighters and healers and scholars and the like. Their ambition comes from making the world they and others live in a better place, for both themselves and those they care and love. This is the idea of a 'good' person, one who will put others before themselves. Even if they do little to help another, they will at least keep to themselves and live in a way that will lessen the impact they may have on those around them or they might encounter. They are good because they are selfless, good intentioned, are virtuous, and live by codes of one form or another," he shrugged slightly, sitting down in his chair behind his desk, reclining back as he spoke.

"Now as they are good, they take up this mantle, to make the world a better place. That is their way of saying, "I will go out, and I will better the world. Through my actions, I will combat evil and bad, and by my actions, or those around and with me, good will prevail," and as such, they take up the responsibility that comes with the territory. Us evil men, we are different, you see. We hold to no one but ourselves, and most do not actively set out to make the world a worse place. If that was so, then there would easily be equal responsibility between the two parties. As it lies, however, us evil men are only out for ourselves and are branded evil by others. We view ourselves as free and unrestricted but are conscious of how others view us but do not go to great lengths to make all around us a worse and terrible place. Good men actively seek out ways to make the world a better place," he took another drink as he paused for a moment between words.

"I take responsibility for my own actions because that is how I live, and is my life. I am out for myself and want the best for myself. As such, my actions are my own, and others often have little to no bearing. It is a selfish life, true enough, but it is also true that I am to myself and my own person. The responsibility lies with me only so far as to say that my actions are my own, which is fair and true. A good and 'better' man would seek me out and stop me, to stop my terrible reign of selfishness and violence. I do not bear the responsibility to stop myself, as I do not intentionally spread evil, I just perpetuate it through my actions of survival of the strongest and fittest. You do best in life with what you have, beholden to none. The responsibility lies with the other man because that is his choice and actions and beliefs. I do not go out to try and stop good from spreading. I do not lie awake at night, plotting ways that I can bring evil into this world through my actions or views, or ways to topple great pinnacles of good. My actions cause evil by ripples, not by direct actions. A good man is the other way around, as his actions are directly for the cause of good, and laying awake trying to stop the spread of evil," a soft laugh escaped his lips briefly, feeling the boat begin to move away from the shore.

"So that is the difference. You claim it to be arrogance, but I do not see how. My actions are my own, simple as that. What happens because of my selfish ways can be deemed evil or unjust, but I do not actively seek it out in such a manner. Yes, I loose a horde of men upon a village, but this wasn't for the sole purpose of destroying good and creating evil. It was merely a way to accomplish my goals, which can be easily, and agreeably, deemed evil, but not in the active sense. A good man is arrogant, however. You are the very embodiment of this ideology. Who are you, to put yourself before me and stop my actions so that you might protect so many others beyond yourself? How is it not arrogant to think that you are responsible for so many others, to place yourself before me as such? That is arrogance. Admirable, but you claim to protect or speak for much more than yourself, which while good and just, is much more greedy than someone who only speaks for themselves, like me."

At first, she ignored the captain and the crew fingers gliding along the fine craftsmanship of the vessel, admiring the detail of the handrails and the design upon the bow. Much labor went into such a ship, and it spoke of pride and skill unlike any other. It was only a shame the hands who steered were that of a filthy greedy pirate without a care for others. She turned her head to the sky, catching the direction the wind was blowing as it danced through her long mane that whipped about in response. Only when she followed the captain into his quarters did it finally stop.

It was far darker inside as it was hidden from the sun, just a window in the back that allowed one to admire the sea. It was here where she retreated, her back turned throughout the ramblings of a greedy fool that saw no wrong in his evil deeds. The ship seemed to rock in response, as if agreeing with the one who called himself captain. She let him speak his peace, finding no need to interrupt, nor did she disagree. His views were valid, and gained an understanding as she looked at things from his eyes. However, when he finished, the usual sapphires of her eyes seemed to flicker darker than the night, losing color altogether before slipping back to their usual appearance.

"Firstly, I do not need a lecture on why evil men do as they do, or why good men do as they need. I've seen far more of each than you will ever see in your lifetime. How is it you know that you are evil without a care in the world, and unable to see that you are, in fact, wrong? You believe these deeds are necessary, simply to gain that which you desire, but stop and think. Have you ever once simply asked for the food that you might need or the drink to wet your lips? Why is it that death of those who have done you no harm is justified simply because the people of a village simply had something you needed to acquire?"

Pausing, the angel drew near, bending at the waist and staring straight into his eyes. "What is it that you gain by sending souls to the light? Why is it that you shed not a single tear for a child that your men have wrongfully executed and taken from this world? What power do you gain through death and destruction, as it's clearly not just to gain material possessions that you feel are necessary for your survival. Perhaps its the fear you enjoy most, those that cower before you providing you with a sense of satisfaction. If that were the case, why do you desire to be feared? Perhaps you have a fear yourself of loving and losing. Has someone from your past left you wounded? Is this why you spread what you do throughout the lands, so that no one may promise love to you again, only to turn around and hurt you?"

Unsure if she was on to something, it was a fruitful idea, one that struck a chord in her mind that led many different ways. "You are a stubborn man, that is for sure. I'm also sure that nothing I say will ever convince you otherwise. Perhaps a wager is far more to your liking, and since you are confident that I am wrong, you should have no issues agreeing." A wicked grin pulled at the corners of her lips, eyes sparkling in the dim light as they filled with excitement. "You originally promised me freedom unharmed if I am wrong. Perhaps, I gain it if I'm right. If I am proven wrong, you do with me as you wish. Kill me, rape me, you are free to do as you wish. What do you say?" A hand was offered out in hopes that he would shake it, and though her life may be on the line, she never seemed far more confident than before.

The pirate captain raised an eyebrow once more at the maddeningly confusing creature before him though he help no concept of what she really was in all truth. All he knew is that she was as tireless as he was in this little dance that they had entered, and he hadn't had such fun in a very long time. The questions she asked, and the fashion in which she presented them and herself, was most likely intended to strike him to his very soul and who he was. However, here he thought he had an advantage. He had viewed his life over and over again several times and had reached a state of acceptance. He wasn't burdened by thoughts of why he was or if what he did was aligned one way or another, they simply were. He wasn't bothered by killing a person because it was just an act of taking a life, and if that was deemed cruel and evil, then it was simply so. If he chose to spare a village because he had no wish to visit it or destroy it, then it was an act of passing by and if that in turn was deemed good, then it simply was so for him. It was the truth that vastly more of his actions were deemed cruel and evil, so he had accepted this as a simple fact, and in turn referred to himself as evil as that was what he had been branded.

This Annalie had no power over him because no past or future action of his would phase hm, cause him to wonder at what he was or who he was. Should she bring up the death of his sister, he would view it just as much a part of his life as if she tried to scold him from killing a man in front of her. It was just another fact of his life, good or bad. He didn't feel remorse at the death or harm of others, just as he had been shown none as a kid. However, he also felt no pleasure from it, so he did not revel in the memories and actions that brought ill onto others.He would let her have her piece, say her part, examine his life and actions and motivations with a fine tooth comb as often as she wished, but he didn't believe that that it would make a single wit of a difference, for either of them. And when she had finally exhausted all her weapons and abilities upon him, had given up on him, he would know that he had won. He was damned anyway, so things could only improve from here, or stay the same.

With a steady hand, Sverdar firmly, but not harshly, gripped Annalie's hand with the barest traces of a grin at the very edges of his lips. "Agreed. Should you win, you are free to do as you please, go where you will. Should I win, I do with you as I please."

After that, he sat back once more, taking another drink from his flask, examining the female in front of him. "Now, I believe that I have not introduced myself properly. My name is Sverdar Al'Verth, but I get the feeling that you seem to know me rather well for being a stranger to me. Despite all of that, you seem to misunderstand my motivations. Yes, I have felt a loss in my life, it is true. From my sister to many ideals and an innocence I once held. However what I do is not to spread any ideology, or to inflict pain upon others in retribution for my life, as that isn't how I work.

I am not afraid of being hurt anymore because there are none who will grow close to me. Perhaps my actions leading up to this point are to do just that so as to prevent the pain, but that takes many years of cultivation that I just do not care to try and tend to. Instead I am who I am, and have come to realize that no one will like me for who I am. Rather than change, I have merely accepted this fact and kept moving on in my life. That is all.

I do not hold others accountable for my actions or what has happened to me before. If I harm, it is not because I was harmed, or to keep myself from being harmed. It is simply because harming one in front of me is the easiest solution available to me in most situations. I could just ask for handouts, but then I rely on the charity of others rather than myself, and that is not something I can afford. There are many good people out there, but not as many as you might think. I am also not one to lend a hand to others so that we might mutually survive and prosper, so settling down in a town won't help either. If I need a drink, I could ask for one. But some form of compensation is often needing, from monetary compensation to work offered for the drink or many other forms. Very very rare is it that one could live their life just from asking others to feed and clothe them.

Instead, I would need to get a job to provide for myself in a form, whether from what I craft or in the form of being paid with the coin. Well then I need to do so much more in order to get this drink that I desire, and it takes a lot of time and effort. Instead, if I simply take from the person with the drink I desire or kill them to take it, then I have the drink far easier, and can continue on to what I next want or desire. I wanted a ship so I took one. I wanted a crew, so I found men to crew my ship with. That is all. Very evil, very bad, but it is often the simplest path, and I am but a simple in life," a slight shrug punctuated his words as he took another drink.

"Oh, and I was not lecturing you before about good and evil. I was merely answering a question you asked, of why good people bear the responsibility of my actions, and how it wasn't greedy. If this wager of our is to work, you can't go around berating me for answering a question that you pose."

Annalie shook his hand, the deal was made and done. Whatever it was that he so desired of her, though, remained a mystery which brought a sense of dread upon the angel. She couldn't afford to fail her mission now, so much more at stake than being unable to return home. She would soon find out of this little wager would be fruitful, or perhaps lead to her own damnation. Would the lord she served forgive her for such a sin if he were to force himself upon her? She didn't wish to find out what would happen if her purity was taken. What if her heart began to grow as black as night? Surely it was rare for angels to fall, but it happens from time to time. Though all of these questions wracked her brain, her smile didn't falter as her hand was retracted.

"So, you simply kill and pillage because you are far too lazy to seek a job to do things the honorable way? You feel that by doing so you lose your freedom in a sense? I suppose I could understand that. And, I will also admit that you are correct as there are other people in the world who are not so kind, and often expect things in return. The world was not meant to be made that way, you know. If we all simply shared everything out of the goodness of our hearts, no one would suffer, everyone would survive and have their fair share of what was needed." It was all turning into one great debate, one the angel was quickly tiring of, and she had to bring about an end to a battle without an end.

"So, the wager. Within a weeks time, I ask of you to do three deeds of good. It's all I ask. I'm sure a captain such as yourself can manage three measly little tasks, right? If you truly have no heart and not a care in the world, then these tasks will surely mean nothing to do, and you can move on with your life. You will have wasted no time, no harm will have come to you. And of course, I do not mean that you should simply just leave a village alive instead of slaughtering them. That's just decency. No, I'm simply asking that you offer a beggar, someone with no food a bite to eat. An apple, I'm sure, would make their day. Greet someone with kindness, someone who appears to be down on their luck and in need of good spirits. The last deed can be yours of your choosing. Assist a struggling woman, a man fishing, a crying child even. A compliment, a gift, even an affectionate gesture can go a long way. If you can do these three simple tasks without feeling nothing, I am yours to do as you please."

Her gaze was steady as it remained upon him, eager to hear his answer. Would he bite and play her little game? She expected to be told that something must be done for him in return, but she'd do what was needed to try and lighten the darkened heart.

A soft chuckle echoed from Sverdar's lips as he listened to the spirited woman in front of him. Not even a full hour of knowing each other and he had already been intrigued and interested in her. He had been briefly disappointed that she had ended their little dance, but it didn't matter too terribly much to him after that. She had started the accusing and demands, so if he had managed to tire her of it all he felt better about himself and the situation. It also left him feeling a little saddened, as perhaps there wasn't going to be even a partial challenge to winning this wager. Had he perhaps been actually hoping for something to finally give him a genuine challenge? This might be so, and for no all he could do was sit and wait as he jumped through her hoops, wondering if she had any other tricks up her sleeves to try and sway him.

Of course he couldn't begin to imagine that her mere presence had already started to affect him, as he was having various emotion flit across his being once more instead of being locked away, if only for really brief moments. He had already been annoyed, sadened, and hopefully around her, and probably just because of what and who she was. The notion was such a foreign one, however, that the pirate captain for all his self-awareness didn't realize it, or perhaps refused to realize it.

"I will assume that by saying, ". . . without feeling nothing," you actually mean if I can accomplish them while truly feeling nothing, instead of the double negative you proposed? Otherwise, I only win if I accomplish these tasks three while feeling emotion for it all, rather than my stony countenance. Odd way to wager, so I'll assume the former rather than the latter. I'm a terrible person, but honor does ring some faint bell for me."

He sat forward, his eyes staring back into hers as if trying to get to the very core of what she was, or what she might stand for or mean to him just then. Whatever it was, it was doubtful he would find answers so easily or readily. "So I need to make for a port so that these might be able to be accomplished? Alright, as you wish. That does leave you on this ship with me for at least two days to the nearest town, however. Is this alright with you? Otherwise, we need to find another way for me to attempt these tasks of yours."

Now Sverdar was being picky about the words that she spoke, and standing upright, nostril flared with a rush of air that resulted from frustration. Arms folded just below her breasts, fingers drumming idly upon her arm as she turned to stare out the window. The shores were slowly drifting off in the distance, surrounded by nothing by the call of the sea. "Very well, since you deem it necessary to correct my grammar, If you can complete each task without feeling ANYTHING in that cold dead heart of yours, then you will be the winner of our wager. However, I will be watching close, and do not think you can simply hide emotions from me."

Her long, platinum locks cascaded down her back, pale skin nearly reflecting the light as it streamed in through the window. Her gaze was thoughtful with a sense of longing as she turned them to the clouds above. She was missing home, the air in the human world far too thick with darkness for her taste. She wished to complete her goal as quick as possible in hopes to be welcomed back through those golden gates. "Very well. I shall remain on board as long as it takes. Though, do not feel you cannot do anything kind for your crew either. Or, perhaps for me. But I am not here to dictate who it is you so choose."

Growing bored of the darkness, she turned on her heels and headed towards the door of the cabin. "As a captain, I am sure you have much to take care of. I shall leave you to your work." With that, she vanished into the sunlight and the wind, making her way to the bow of the ship. Men sneered in her direction, whistles and catcalls rang out from all directions, but not a single word seemed to strike her with anger. Some, however, simply smiled and nodded their heads, giving her the space she so desired.

Standing upon the bow staring at the sea, she could really feel the way the ship bobbed about from the waves, seeming as if it was one with the ocean below. Dolphins leaped from the waters, seagulls flew over head looking for a free meal. The air was thick with salt, mist spraying upon the ship to shower those on deck. Finding peace and solace in her surroundings in spite of the situation, she found the inspiration to sing. Her voice was light as a bell as she sang of love and sorrow, ringing out across the ship. It was one that stopped some crew dead in their tracks as they gathered around to hear her sweet song.

A heavy sigh resounded through the cabin as Sverdar reclined in his chair, small fragments of singing occasionally flitting into the room now that Annalie's angry footsteps had faded, leaving the captain alone for a moment in the blissful darkness. He always had a certain affinity with the dark, though not because of his thoughts or actions at the metaphors that could be drawn therein. No, he was just simply always preferring night or the like instead of the blaring sunlight of the day. He found greater solace in the shining stars and gentle moonlight when the world around him was still and often silent. It was often comfortable and peaceful to him, both being rare commodities for the captain. As such he would often take over the watch at night so that he might be up at that time, able to gaze across the ocean or sky, without any sense of obligation or quandary.

Now this female had just landed in his life with all the grace and care as a wild cannonball might, despite how graceful she was as she moved. She was as vibrant and brilliant as a summer storm might be, and he couldn't think of someone so his polar opposite. Her emotions were as many as the leaves on a tree and moved faster than he could keep track. She moved and acted with conviction and a sense of confidence that baffled the mind. He didn't find himself any of those things. As he figured it, he was rather steady and unchanging, not unlike the stars in the sky. He didn't react quickly or with great conviction, preferring to take his time and thinking everything through. It would seem that he was entirely unsuited to even try and deal with this fiery storm, as he felt not unlike a rock amid turbulent waters.

Yet he couldn't deny that she seemed to hold some sway with him. He had already engaged in a wager against her, and one he was uncertain as to what the outcome might hold. Three simple tasks, or so they seemed. He didn't know of any beggars who had no food aboard his ship, not unless he counted Annalie herself as she had come with nothing but the dress she wore. Yet he somehow doubted that feeding her would count, as she would view that as common decency, something he agreed with on some level. Greeting someone down on their luck with kindness was easier to find but harder to accomplish. It wasn't that he didn't know what kindness was or how to go about greeting someone with it, but how did he greet someone with kindness if it wasn't genuine? Then it was simply a lie, a hoax, and that wasn't kindness in reality. But if he didn't wish ill upon the person, simply a lack of a reaction on his part, then would it still count as kindness, at least for the female? Then there was the lasted third act she had tasked him with, which was as vague as could be.

Right then he had never longed for the simple clarity and serenity of the night sky worse. It was going to be a very long week with this Annalie, that was for sure.

Annalie was delighted to see a group of men around her as she sang a sweet song, now about the sea. They wore smiles upon their faces, seeming nothing like the dirty scurvy crew she had met back at the port. Some, of course, still did not approve of the lass and simply ignored her existence, while others drew out simple instruments to join her in tune. A party soon broke out among them, many sharing in bottles of rum and stories of voyages, even dancing and laughing for a moment or two. It lasted well into the evening, some men far too drunk for their sea legs and stumbled about over barrels and coils of ropes. Others were only getting started. By the time the singing had ceased, the pirates were playing their own tunes. It was beginning to seem this Annalie was able to warm the hearts of the pirate crew.

Two of the men were simply enamored by the angel, finding it hard to pry themselves away from her beauty and warmth. They danced with her, sang to her, offered her rum and wine and served her a meal. She was given food long before a cabin boy knocked upon the captain's door with a tray of meat and bread with other delicious fixings that had quit steaming an hour ago. While normally he'd find fear in delivering such a meal to the captain, he was confident tonight. The woman's presence brought him comfort and peace, giving him hope for the first time in his young life. As he turned to smile at her, she beamed back, a look that was so sickeningly sweet it would make the devil's stomach churn.

By now her own anxieties of the captain faded from her mind, as she enjoyed the company of merry men, and developed just a bit of pride. Though her task was to change the ways of a bloodthirsty captain far too evil for a basic punishment in hell, it would seem the earthy plane had it's own ideas for her. She felt it in the bottom of her heart that entering back into the light would be far more difficult than it would have been. Not only had she been consumed by anger, but now pride had taken hold. Perhaps the captain wasn't the only one being influenced, as it would seem his presence was beginning to take it's toll on her.

Sverdar glanced over at the cabin boy as his meal was served, raising his eyebrow a fraction of an inch, noting the boy's demeanor was different and could now hear tunes floating in from outside. It would seem that the female he had picked up would have a distinct effect on his crew, though he couldn't tell just then how that might affect him personally or the outcome of it all in the long run. All he knew was that his food was probably only lukewarm at best by now, and it didn't bother him terribly much just then. In fact, he was hardly hungry at all for food.

As he absently waved at the cabin boy to put his meal down and leave, he was struck by an odd thought, one he wouldn't have normally considered. Perhaps the female was going to be of use to him, but not in a way he would have imagined before. His crew seemed to be in a drastically good mood, and would probably be eager to stay in her good graces for as long as possible. This meant he wouldn't have to worry near as much about keeping them in line or finding a way to keep them from killing each other or stealing from him. Not unless they all unanimously decided that turning on her way a smart choice to make, but that seemed rather drastic of a choice to make. SO all he had to do was allow Annalie free reign of the ship and it would keep his crew happy and content. Hopefully, the two entities would keep each other happy in such a case, and it was the best outcome to be found about the entire thing.

"Maybe it isn't so hard to be nice."

Sev's words echoed slightly through the once again empty room, the cabin having left some time before as Sverdar's thoughts ranged about Annalie. By easing up on his crew and letting things take their own course for now, it would lead to so many being happy and raising moral. Annalie would never let him live this down, but it was probably for the best to let her raise the spirits of his crew. Perhaps the cooks' food might even improve some now. He made a mental note to buy a wider variety for food at their next stop to test this theory out.

As the night wore on, Sverdar idly wondered where Annalie would sleep. He had spare cabins available, so he could always house her in one of those. They were comfortable and spacious enough that she should be content with them, especially as they had windows for her to look out from. Now he would just need to go out and find where she had wandered to now though the crew would probably easily point him in the direction. Or he would wait for her to find him, but if he was to play by her rules he would have to avoid trying to sit on a high horse around her. Sometimes the high and mighty road wasn't the best one to take, nor even the easiest.

Back
Top Bottom