Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fandoms

I am not sure where this could go, but I've run into a small problem. I love doing fandoms. However, I do not have that many fandoms that I am a part of and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few fandoms that are fun to roleplay. Below, I will list the fandoms that I do enjoy and see if there is anything similar to it out there.

Books
- The Hunger Games
- Divergent
- Legend
- The Maze Runner
- The Fifth Wave
- Breathe
- Article Three

TV Shows
- The Walking Dead
- NCIS
- Law and Order
- Criminal Minds

Movies
- Into the Storm
- The Purge and The Purge: Anarchy
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Draft Day

And this isn't just only for fandoms and roleplaying. If there is a good book out there that you know of that is similar to a book I like, please go ahead and tell me about it. I'm looking for more fandoms or just a good book to read or a good tv show/movie to watch. I apologize if this is in the wrong section and I hope that someone can help me spark some ideas.

I should go ahead and add that I do not like anime nor do I like Harry Potter. Anything else, please go ahead and tell me something about it xD Thanks in advance!

Also, I will add that I prefer modern/realistic themes along with futuristic and dystopian themes. I am not a fan of fantasy but am not opposed to venturing into the world of fantasy.

Books you might like:

Anything by Clive Barker - seriously, he's great, just the right mix of gruesome horror-fantasy without being strictly horror in the way Stephen King defines it; more bizarre and fantastical, imo.
The Superiors by Lena Hillbrand - Vampires conquered the world several hundred years ago; humans are "pets" and raised like cattle and not considered intelligent. Surprise surprise, they are!)
Kraken by China Mieville -fun and bizarre about cultists trying to raise an "Old One" from the depths, with possible catastrophic results, needing to be stopped by an every man who has an odd connection to it all
King Rat by China Mieville(kind of modern retelling of the Pied Piper of Hamelin, with the music genre "jungle" and London as the setting)

TV shows:

The Following - Kevin Bacon has still got it
Fringe - campy at the worst of times but fun and junk food for the mind; very involved with conspiracies and interdimensional crossings, supernatural crime division
Hannibal - artsy and very dark
Bates Motel - prologue to Psycho
Sherlock(do you like BBC shows?)

All with a kind of mystery to them and criminal element.

I'd also recommend anything by Quentin Tarantino. Fucker is a genius. Start with Reservoir Dogs.

Rudolph Quin said:
Books you might like:

Anything by Clive Barker - seriously, he's great, just the right mix of gruesome horror-fantasy without being strictly horror in the way Stephen King defines it; more bizarre and fantastical, imo.
The Superiors by Lena Hillbrand - Vampires conquered the world several hundred years ago; humans are "pets" and raised like cattle and not considered intelligent. Surprise surprise, they are!)
Kraken by China Mieville -fun and bizarre about cultists trying to raise an "Old One" from the depths, with possible catastrophic results, needing to be stopped by an every man who has an odd connection to it all
King Rat by China Mieville(kind of modern retelling of the Pied Piper of Hamelin, with the music genre "jungle" and London as the setting)

TV shows:

The Following - Kevin Bacon has still got it
Fringe - campy at the worst of times but fun and junk food for the mind; very involved with conspiracies and interdimensional crossings, supernatural crime division
Hannibal - artsy and very dark
Bates Motel - prologue to Psycho
Sherlock(do you like BBC shows?)

All with a kind of mystery to them and criminal element.

I'd also recommend anything by Quentin Tarantino. Fucker is a genius. Start with Reservoir Dogs.

Thanks so much for the reply! I researched the books and I'm not too keen on anything with fantasy but it can't hurt to try so I am sure I'll give at least one of them a shot.

The TV shows do all seem interesting and I think I will watch them. I like the mystery and crime aspect.

Ah, no fantasy? I can't do straight modern or realistic world. Too boring for me. :p There's always gotta be something unnatural lurking under the surface if not right in your goddamned face, or at the very least, some sort of madness or psychological illness involved.

No fantasy? Tis a shame...I could tell you a slew of urban fantasy/paranormal books. How about scifi? A great series that is scifi and also YA is the Lunar Cycle by Marissa Meyer. It's still ongoing, but nearly completed--it's set to be done this coming November. Books include: Cinder, Scarlett, Cress, Fairest (all out); Winter (will be out in November). There are a couple short stories as well: Glitches, Queen's Army. Great reads. Wonderfully written, highly entertaining.

TV shows. Try some stuff that's older. Might mean renting or whatever, but I swear by these shows. Lost. Watch it. Love it. Truly, the show is brilliant in many ways. Another great one is Northern Exposure. It's quirky in all the right ways. And I will stand by every Star Trek ever...except for Enterprise. Yeah, I try to pretend that one didn't ever happen. <.<

As for movies, I second Quin's recommendation of Tarantino. The man is sheer awesome and Reservoir Dogs is by far his best movie ever! It was my first and my favorite of his stuff. I adore him. It's hard to go wrong when it comes to him.

You know that I'm more than happy to offer you some TV show fandoms.

Arrow
Buffy The Vampire slayer
Angel The Series
Tru Calling
iZombie

The Criminal Minds work place roleplay between you and greenandgold is interesting. Always thought the episode where Reid was encouraged to ask JJ out to the game should've been extended by like two more hours.

If you like cop and law type shows Blue bloods is amazing! A lot of people think it's for like old people because Tom Sellac is in it but honestly it's just a good show. I can't help with books because I read fantasy. Psych is another great show, I swear I have laughed so hard I've peed myself more then once!

The fandom i fell into hard and wasn't expecting it was Zootopia. It got to the point where I even write fan fiction of the stuff.

TV wise, Star gate and trek but never wars, and anime the list is just too big to list.

Video games .hack is still probably my biggest.

Back
Top Bottom