Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Hard Won Peace (Skeith & Kolath)

Skeith Takahata II

Lesbian Anarchist
How long had the land been burning? How long had the flames of war threatened to engulf the land? Few historians could date the war's origin, and even fewer could recall what started it. Both sides spun a different story, both blaming the other. While some of the more progressive members of both societies recognized that the truth probably lay somewhere in the middle, they were so outnumbered that their voices were lost in the cries for war and vengeance. The land between the two warring societies had been reduced to ash. In the truest case of fighting fire with fire, the whole world would literally be left to burn.

The war had been called to halt by a third, stronger party. A nation that revered nature and its right to grow unhindered. Fire served as their greatest threat, which made establishing peace an absolute necessity. Threatening to bring their full military might to bear against both nations, they demanded that each attend a peace summit where the two parties would be forced to come to some sort of arrangement. The ceasefire was bitter and unwanted by most, but fearing their destruction, both sides were forced to agree.

Enter Cinder Volcanis, warrior princess of the Draconia Empire. Nicknamed by many as the She-Prince of Draconia, the uniqueness of her gender was not concealed. If anything it opened the possibility of potential suitors from either male or female Draconians. Up to this point, however, she had yet to be wed to any of them. She was a dragon-rider and a solider before she was a princess or a woman. Making marriage seem like a foolish decision. Her parents had intended for her to be a soldier from birth, her validity as a potential queen only recently having been decided. She had recently come to change her tune, her hatred and rage being replaced by sorrow and grief. Losing her elder brother in the war, and seeing her entire battalion destroyed, she felt no need for vengeance, only peace. Which made the trip to the summit an awkward one. Her parents both were defiant of the peace summit, neither approving of the meeting. This bode ill for the potential for peace. She could only hope that her desires would be given voice and that at least someone from the other side would agree.

The forest was a bizarre sight for the young princess, having come from a mountain nation of volcanoes. Her golden eyes stared out the carriage window at the massive trees. Lights emerged from cracks in the bark, doors seated at their base, making it clear that these people truly lived in and around nature. The air was fresher here, which was strange. The sights, sounds, and smells bizarre and alien. When the carriage came to a halt, so to did her parents ceaseless wining about the summit. They were greeted by officials and disarmed of their weapons before being led to the gathering hall where the meeting was to occur. She caught a brief glimpse of what she had thought to be the royal family from her recent enemy, but cast her eyes to the ground just as quickly.

The great hall, resting within the trunk of the largest tree was truly an astounding sight, stealing the breath away from the young Cinder. Her eyes fell the neutral party that had demanded their attendance. They stood armed and prepared to strike down both parties if an agreement could not be reached. She took her seat on one end of the room, content for the moment to let her parents attempt tor each peace, despite having no desire for it. The leader of the third party rose from his seat, his elegant robe dragging behind him as he stepped forward. "We have assembled this gathering in the interest of peace. History has shown that it is impossible for your two nations to exist separately as independent entities. She we present to you both a singular option. A union between your two societies. A bond of marriage between the youngest of both of your offspring. Bitter and spiteful you may have been apart, but together, you might reclaim some semblance of your former glory."

Enraged, Cinder's father rose from his seat, his voice echoing throughout the hall. "We would never agree to such terms! To wed our child in so despicable a union is out of the question!" Her mother nodded in agreement.

Amid the chaos and shouting, Cinder quieted her mind breathing out uneasily. She was unsure how she felt about the concept of marriage. It was sudden, and nerve wracking, but in the interest of peace she could hardly refuse. She rose from her feat, stepping towards the center of the room, she balled her hands into light fists as she prepared to speak, breathing out an uneasy sigh. "I've lost many to the flames of war, and have on far to many an occasion, found myself slave to my rage. Desiring only violence and vengeance. Such desires are petty and selfish, and reflect poorly on myself and my name. I, Cinder Volcanis, princess of Draconia and heir to the Draconian Throne, hereby accept the terms of peace. A treaty forged through wedlock is the shortest and stablest route to peace." Her parents stared slack jawed, certainly viewing her as guilty of treason. Despite knowing that daggers were being stared into the core of her soul for her words from all around the room, she stood bold, concealing her fear behind the face of a seasoned warrior.

Stepping into the grand hall Fiora princess of the Phoenicia took stock of those already there. Her eyes fell on the she-prince and chill ran down her spine. Brushing the braid of flaming red hair back off her shoulder she straightened her shoulders and moved to sit down as far as she could from Cinder. Fiora sat tall and proud as the welcomes were passed through. She was considered the most beautiful of all her sisters, and it only made her older sisters upset when she was faced with dozens of suitors and they were just passed over. She had not chosen any of them only wanting to focus on her magic and perfecting its art, if she had her choice she would never marry.

As she sat there listening with only half a mind she stared at the she -prince dark memories filling her mind as grief threatened to overwhelm her into tears. She was shocked in the moment as marriage was suggested for her and Cinder. Her mind raced, she wanted the war to be over as the once sure commitment to their victory had left her many years ago as the war just dragged on. As the years continued in flame and death all she saw was men and women dying, families ripped apart hearts broken, this had to end.

As Cinder declared her support and willingness to marry Fiora's parents were on their feet after the shock had worn off. "How dare you suggest that out precious daughter wed that...thing." her father yelled her mother nodding in agreement, both clearly ready to walk out on this meeting.

Fiora slowly stood looking first to her parents then turning to look at Cinder. She walked slowly over to the other princess standing in front of her for a moment loking into her eyes. Fiora's eyes held so many emotions but the most obvious was pain. She whispered softly so that only Cinder could hear her, especially with all the exclimaions of outrage going on, "We need to talk." She then turned taking a position beside Cider and holding out her hand for Cinder to take if she wanted. "I Fiora Flametouched, accept your proposal. For the good of both our kingdoms let us wed and bring peace to the land."

With the two women in agreement, the room fell into a stunned silence. Certainly both sides of the political struggle were red faced with anger. It was difficult for Cinder to look Fiora in the eye, but she held her gaze when she spoke. It had been to easy to assume her enemy to be evil and to ignore that the situation was far from so black and white. Fear caused her breath to catch, the thought of knowingly disobeying her parents and being forced to face the world with only a stranger as an ally and companion terrified her. That being said, it was reassuring to know that at least one person from the other side shared her hope for peace, and was fortunately the one in the best position to help make it a reality. She knew that hostilities wouldn't end over night, it would be a long hard road to truly establish peace, but the war itself would be over. For Cinder, that was enough for now.

She accepted Fiora's hand when it was offered. She wanted to look to Fiora, to see the woman with whom she'd just sworn to spend her life with to save their world, but fear kept her eyes locked on the king of the neutral kingdom, who wore a faint but satisfied smile. He gave a nod as he looked about the wide room. Only anger and shock could be seen on either side of the room, but in the center he saw hope, and a promise of peace. "Very well, with the consent of those whose voices matters most, we will see it done." He raised a hand signalling his guards who immediately stepped forward. "Those who stand in disapproval will be removed from my hall and returned to their home." The guards each moved to usher the angered people from the hall. Cinder's eyes fell to the floor as she heard the shouts of rage from her father. Mixed in his shouts of disapproval were blatant threats on her life. Promising to see her pay for her treason. Her eyes burned as tears threatened to spill. She knew that this decision made her and Fiora a target for many people they had formerly called allies and family. After the sound died down, the hall became eerily quiet, as it momentarily left the two alone. Though it allowed Cinder a moment to collect her thoughts.

She flattened out her black uniform before running her hand through her short cut silver hair. Her already pale skin seeming to show even paler with uncertainty. She turned to face Fiora, breathing out an uneasy sigh. "Milady Fiora..." She began bowing her head slowly. "I am grateful to you for your sacrifice. Not only for your people, but for mine. Or, perhaps I should say ours." She said hesitantly before raising her gaze. "I humbly thank you for your willingness to agree to this union, and beg your forgiveness for the atrocities committed by my kin." She forced a faint smile, in lieu of wearing her concern on her face. "You have my word, that I will do everything in my power to leave the animosity between our people behind and forge a new path forward."

Fiora stood there as all the leader of the neutral kingdom herded her parents and Cinder's out. The irony didn't escape her as for the first time their parents agreed on something, that both of them were traitors and deserved to die for what they were doing. Amazing that their hatred for each other and peace might be the very thing that gave them common ground. Fiora turned to look at the woman who was going to be her partner for the rest of her life. Deep inside she tried to push down an urge that had been rising steadily since she had seen Cinder.

Listening to the words spilling from Cinder's mouth was making it harder and harder to resist. When she finally stopped Fiora could only do one thing. Her hand came up and slapped the woman hard on the cheek, her eyes brimming with tears as she stared at the woman. Her lip was quivering pure hatred in her eyes as she looked at Cinder.

"Understand this Cinder Volcanis, I do this for the people. I can forgive all the harms of war done by those that fought. I can clearly see the need for peace and this is the only path I see that can bring it about. However although I can forgive all others, you I cannot forgive, you and your damned skill with the sword. It was you and our damned blade that took Marcus from me, and that I will never forgive. Understand that though we are to be married I never want to find you in my bed." Even as she said it there was a moment that she thought about the idea...they both seemed perfectly female and though she heard the rumors she couldn't believe it. The thought made her shiver, though not from disgust as she turned from Cinder folding her arms over her chest.

Cinder's expression did not change when harsh slap came to her face. Despite her vacant expression, guilt knotted in her chest, creating a very real pain. She didn't know this Marcus by name, but she had killed many people over the course of the war. She stood in silence. Unable to breath or to speak. She let out an uneasy sigh, her breath quivering. "War makes monsters of us all." When she finally looked up at Fiora, her own eyes were reddened with grief and regret. "I don't ask that you forgive me, or that you like me. That you forgive those who have fought is solace enough."

She stepped back, away from her, feeling it best to give her some space. "But, Do not assume to have the monopoly on grief." She began, her saddened eyes dropping momentarily. "A week ago, I watched as my brother was reduced to ash in the final battle, following the complete obliteration of my battalion." She looked back up at Fiora. "I have taken from you. That is something that I can never make amends for. But, that it took either of us this long to push for peace, and that it took this kingdom intervening to make it happen, means that we both share in this guilt. This war went on because we lacked the courage to speak. Every soldier who died is blood on our hands." She breathed out an uneasy sigh, realizing how accusatory her words sounded. "It is impossible for me to make right by you, but I will strive to do so, regardless."

The words spoken by Cinder tugged at Fiora's heart, she knew that the other woman was right but at the same time. She blushed trying to cling to the hate she held for the she-prince. At the same time she worried as Cinder mentioned the last battle, Fiora had been involved in that battle. She normally stayed out of the battles but in the last battle she had stepped up and taken part. She used her magic to wipe whole battalions from the battlefield. In truth she didn't remember anything about it, she had been so blinded by grief that she had just let her emotions wash over her and used them to fuel her power. The battle was a blank slate and for a moment she was worried, could she be responsible for Cinder's grief also?

She pushed the thought aside and turned looking back at the she-prince. "I see your points...forgive my harsh words and I do see the need for peace." She swallowed some of her pride reaching out and placing her hand on Cinder's arm. "I will marry you as proposed...but I can never promise I will forgive you...the pain..." tears were in her eyes as she spoke before stepping back and brushing her eyes clear. "We should see how soon we can finalize the treaty...our parents didn't look happy with us and we will need help and the binding of the treaty to bring some if not all of them around."

Cinder could only muster a small nod at Fiora's words. The knowledge that Fiora shared her desire for peace, perhaps even more so, brought a calmness to her heart that had been absent for sometime. Though overwhelmed by the burden of maintaining a newly formed peace, being wed to a former enemy, and now being expected to rule, she did not allow it to effect her resolve. Though she was forced to realize the reality of the situation. In establishing peace, any animosity that had been between two peoples would now be directed at them. Their push for peace could very well become more hated than their families' push for war.

She raised her gaze to the king's after a long moment of thought. "I would like to make a request if I may. We will require some manner of aid. The risk of assassination could end this peace before it begins. If we truly risk becoming the targets of our former kin, we must be assured some manner of protection or at least, justice, in the event of our deaths." She knew it was a bold thing she did, making demands of a king, but he seemed to not be phased by them, as though he had predicted it.

"We have made arrangements. In the south their once existed a great empire. Though now forgotten to history, its great cities remain. It is there that this unified nation should take its roots. Until such time as a combined force of your peoples can be trusted to co-exist and defend a unified land, a portion of my own force will serve as your own. Those of your people who wish to live in peace, will be extended an invitation, as those who lived in neutrality. It should not prove difficult to populate your new realm." He looked up from the two women as a man entered with an ornate tray, upon which two rings sat. "As organizing a ceremony that honored both creeds, and protected each of you from potential threats is impossible. It will remain this simple gesture. With these rings you are bound to each other, body and soul." After the two rings were distributed he offered a faint smile. "Though these circumstances may be forced upon you, myself and my kin are allies to your ambition for peace. You needn't fear enemies from the north while watching your east and your west."

Cinder breathed a hearty sigh of relief, sliding the ring onto her finger. She looked to the king again, bowing her head in respect. "Thank you, my lord, for this chance at peace. Circumstances aside, it is a far better thing that you do than that which our homelands have sought." Cinder turned to face Fiora. "Perhaps it is best that we make for our new home while its location remains unknown to our families." Cinder knew that the two kingdoms were now legally one, and that the reigns of their parents were at an end. But she knew that her parents would not part with power quietly, and feared that Fiora's parents would be the same way.

Fiora flinched slightly when the ring was placed on her finger. She stared at it for a very long moment, it seemed heavier than any ring she had ever worn but she knew it was a simple gold band. Looking over at the identical ring on Cinder's hand she shivered wrapping her arms around herself. "What have I done?" she whispered softly to herself even as she knew the answer. She had made everyone that ever loved her, anyone that she had ever cared about, she had made them her enemies. She wanted to burst out in tears at how stupid she was being, but at the same time she knew what she was doing was right.

Even her beloved Marcus believed in peace. She reached under the front of her dress pulling out the engagement ring he had given her. Memories of the things they had talked about, about the war and even though he was a officer in the army he had believed it was the wrong thing to be fighting 'we are all connected, and hurting them hurts us.' He had said but was honor bound to serve and to fight. The last time she had seen him they had fought about the importance of the war, the last things she had said to him was that his opinions could have him marked as a traitor. They were word spoken in anger, and when she got the message that Marcus had been cut down by the She-Prince, it had nearly killed Fiora.

She looked again at the gold ring on her finger and sighed. "If only..." she let the thought pass away before turning to listen to the logistics of where they would be staying, and how they would be protected. She knew all of it would be needed but it hurt to think that her family could ever try and hurt her. She looked at the sky and frowned, "It will be very late by the time we reach that place, and it is in ruins isn't it? Wouldn't it be better to get a good nights sleep here and now, and then move on to..." she paused almost having a hard time saying the words, "...Our new home." She blushed from anger at the thought and for a moment she quested if she should change her mind.

Cinder sighed quietly. It was becoming increasingly obvious how difficult it would be to live with Fiora like this. It couldn't have only been her who realized how fragile and temporary this alliance would be if they couldn't stand to be around one another. She hoped that she would become more welcoming of the idea with time, but she was beginning to think that this would end in disaster. Still she shook her head free of her frustration before looking up at the king. "I agree. If we could set out in the morning, refreshed and with time to take in everything that's happened, it would make the journey easier and perhaps safer." Despite her experience in battle, she was quite young and the concept of marriage to a stranger and being disowned by her family was extremely overwhelming.

The king gave the proposition some thought before nodding in agreement. "Rooms will be prepared for each of you." He said quietly, deciding on separate rooms as he could pick up on Fiora's disapproval. He waved over a pair of servants and instructed them to prepare the rooms. "Now, if it pleases you, I will take my leave. I have other preparations to make if I am to send you with a host of my own soldiers in the morning." He gave a momentary glace between the two women before shaking his head slowly and exiting the chamber.

After the king left the chamber, Cinder turned to face Fiora. She was prepared to say something, but decided against it. Instead offering a polite farewell, in lieu of the more aggressive words she was swallowing. "I have to reclaim my blade and perform my evening drills. I will see you in the morning. Goodnight." She bowed her head respectfully before she gave a quiet sigh before shaking her head and walking back out towards the courtyard.

Fiora was glad when Cinder agreed with her and sighed softly when she was left alone. It was hard to think of the things he was considering, leaving her family who now hated her, marrying someone who was an enemy up until today. It was all almost too much for her to take in. on top of that she was marrying someone other than Marcus; the thought sent a chill through her. She had loved Marcus with every fiber of her being and missed him more then she could ever say. This was all happening so soon after his death...how could she be forgetting him so soon?

She pushed the thought away as she started for the room that she had been give for the night. Thought it was separate from Cinder's room they were right next door to each other and joined by a door. She glared at the door connecting her to the woman she was going to marry and without a moment's pause fired a stream of white hot flame at it. The heat was enough to melt the lock and latch sealing the door effectively only with the strength to break down the door could anyone get through it.

She sighed feeling a little better after the wanton destruction and proceeded to slowly strip her formal gown off. The fire light would silhouette her against the curtain as she slowly stripped down to nothing. A tub was brought in for her and she slipped into the overly hot water. Being blessed by the flame meant that only the hottest flames could harm her and a little hot water was nothing that she would ever worry about.

Tomorrow would be another day that she could look at her choice. She saw the ring on her finger and with a curse reached down to pull it off of her finger. To her shock and abject horror she couldn't take it off. She tugged and twisted pulling and even trying to melt it off her finger proceeding to burn herself a little. The ring was on her finger and seemed like it wasn't ever coming off. She looked at it again and realized, she had made her choice already, now she would have to live with it. Peace no matter what the cost.

Having retrieved her sword from the guards, she found herself in the courtyard. She had grown accustomed to focus on training when she needed to quiet her mind. It was probably why she was so formidable of a swordsman. She never truly allowed herself to grieve, instead always ignoring her sadness and burying the negative or aggressive emotion behind the simple monotony of training. With every swipe of her sword she was revisited by the vision of every death of every ally she'd had. The distant sounds of battle and screams of pain echoing in the back of her mind. She focused on as many of her drills as she could without her dragon. She trained for a solid two hours, coming to a stop only when she had grown too tired to continue. She wiped the sweat from her brow, as she tried to slow her panting. She leaned on her sword as she looked up towards the windows of the rooms her and Fiora would occupy. She could see the silhouette of her new wife's form against the drapes. She shook her head as she sheathed her sword and proceeded back inside. She couldn't afford to find her attractive. Not when the woman's desire for peace was only matched by her desire to see Cinder dead.

She walked back inside, and proceeded to her bedroom, pausing only to request a hot bath be brought to her room. Once inside she leaned her sword against the wall, placing her dagger beneath her pillow. She had never had reason to worry about assassination before, but she wasn't so foolish as to assume she was safe just because she was in a guarded fortress. She stripped herself free of her uniform, stretching her sore muscles before approaching the bath. She untied her hair and allowed herself to sink into the hot water. She breathed out an uneasy sigh as she felt the heat sooth her muscles. She looked to her side at the door that led to her wife's room. She could see the damage from her magic, it didn't come as a surprise that she would do so. Deep down she had a feeling that Fiora's anger would overwhelm her desire for peace.

She rose from her bath after the water began to run cold, toweling off before laying back in the bed, electing not to dress first. She stared at the ceiling, unable to sleep. She pulled the sheets up around her before rolling onto her side, balling herself up tightly as she tried to focus on something other than the impossible task of running a kingdom, earning her wife's respect and trust, and keeping them both alive in the face of opposition from all ends of the world. She found herself unable to sleep until exhausting forced her to, drifting into an uneasy slumber.

Earlier that day before their parents had left both pair had set aside their differences at the thought of their children's betrayal. They had met outside the borders of the kingdom that had called the summit and agreed something needed done about it. They both needed to die however Fiora's parents were just a little more ticked off then Cinders. Cinder's parents had never thought that their youngest was ever going to marry and so losing that resource didn't mean much to them. However Fiora's parents had felt they had lost a valuable resource when Fiora had decided that she was getting married, for peace no less. All the suitors that had been there for her and the armies they had been offering were now gone.

The two families had agreed and through one of their magical messengers that communicated with their thoughts contacted one of the many assassins they used. He was the best they could get on short notice and would probably do the trick. They had demanded that Fiora die before the sun came up. That was the only thing they wanted, the contract had to be completed, let their misguided children learn their lesson quickly.

Fiora woke, it was still late. She looked to the window seeing that the moon was still high in the sky. Why had she woke she looked around the room trying to see if anything was off. She slept in next to nothing just a sheer robe with a equally as sheer night gown under it leaving her bare body on display through two thing layers of fabric. She slowly got up pushing the covers back and with a flick of her finger she lit the candle at the night stand, and added more flame to the fire making most the darkness disappear. It was almost too late as the made with a long knife was about to plunge it into her heart, she moved back on the bed gaining a little time and then screamed.

Cinder's sleep had been plagued by nightmares. The loss of her sibling and her closest friends having resulted in a case of post traumatic stress. She relived the terrifying battle. The smell of burning flesh clung to her nose, just as the screams of the dying continued to echo in her ears. Her dream culminated in the death of her brother, a brief shriek of pain, followed by nothing. No last words, no body to bury, simply a pile of smoldering ash. Cinder awoke with a start, cold sweat dripping in beads from her brow. "Oh, Ash... I pray this effort brings you peace, at the very least." She panted, wiping the sweat from her face. She ran a hand through her messy white hair, breathing out an uneasy sigh. Though the momentary peace was broken by a scream, from next door. Fiora's room.

Cinder quickly rose from her bed, taking the dagger from under her pillow and moving to the adjoining door. She tried to open it but found the lock melted shut from the other side. She muttered a small curse under her breath before she began slamming her shoulder into the door. There was no luck with the first, the second began to break the makeshift weld, Cinder was grateful when the door finally gave, considering her shoulder now throbbed with pain. She burst through the other side, knife in hand. "Fiora!" Seeing the assailant already in position, Cinder let out a loud cry before she leaped over Fiora's bed tackling the attacker to the ground.

She struggled with her opponent for several seconds, wrestling on the carpeted floor. When both managed to regain their footing, the daggers flashed back and forth for several more seconds. Though when the struggle finally ended, with a brief cry of pain from the assassin, and a groan from Cinder, the body fell still against the wall, and slid to the floor. "Are... You unharmed?" Cinder asked quietly. She turned to face Fiora and allowed herself to collapse back against the wall. Buried in her stomach was the dagger that had been meant for Fiora. She didn't dare withdraw it, knowing how quickly a stab wound would bleed out. Her breaths were unsteady and shallow as she ignored the pain, concerned more with the other's well being.

Fiora had been sure that the peace was over already and could only stare as her life was balanced on the edge of that horrible knife. It took her a moment to figure out what happened, the streak of flesh and then the sounds of a struggle. She sat up looking to see her new husband...um wife...whatever didn't matter right now, fighting with the assassin. Fiora moved off the bed to help Cinder, calling on her magic to aid them when Cinder had finished the assassin with a skillful blow.

Looking at her Fiora had never been so glad to see a draconian in all her life. She had been about to throw herself into Cinders arms when she saw the knife. She dropped to her knees in front of her, "Oh Cinder...I'm sorry." At the same moment the outer door burst open and the guards that were supposed to be protecting them came in. they called at once for the Doctor but Fiora had been trained in healing fire magic and was right there.

She looked at the woman that was soon going to be her partner at least politically. Thinking through all the things that she had said and done that day all the times that she had second guessed her choice all the hurtful things she had said. This was going to be a lot for her to ask, but from what she could see it was the only way to be sure of saving her. "Cinder...I know..." she sighed and shook her head slowly a small ball of flame coming to her hand with she slowly waved over the wound. "I...I haven't been the nicest to you but I do want this to work...I want peace please believe that...and that knife...I don't think a doctor can help...I can if you will let me if you will...trust me."

Cinder allowed herself to slide to the floor, leaning back against the wall. She was certain this was the end. The sounds in the room growing distant, she could only barely register what Fiora was saying. When the door opened, she glanced to the guards before turning her eyes back to Fiora. She had been a soldier long enough to know that the doctors wouldn't be able to do her any good. The room was growing dark, but she struggled to keep her eyes open and stay focused on Fiora.

"You first..." She replied softly, trying to make light of the situation. She forced a weak smile as she struggled for consciousness. "I believe you. I trust you." She said weakly but honestly. She eyed the ball of fire for a few seconds before nodding silently. She waited til she was certain that Fiora was ready before wrapping her hand around the hilt of the dagger. "Ready?" She took a deep breath before pulling the weapon out and dropping it to the floor, a loud cry of pain escaped her lips as she did so.

Fiora could only smile slightly when her future partner made the joke. She stopped herself and sighed, Cinder wasn't her future anything, they already were married and partners in this fight for peace. Looking into Cinder's eyes she put on a confident face and nodded, "Ready, I'm not losing you yet." She said the last part almost at a whisper, almost to herself but not caring if Cinder heard.

As the knife was pulled out she quickly worked the globe of fire breaking into dozens of strands that reached out piercing into Cinder's belly around the wound. Reaching into the soft tissue and cleaning it before using the heat and power of the fire to close it healing the inner wounds first burning the poison that coated the blade away. Time passed around them as Fiora fought to keep her partner alive, the king of land came with the doctor and both shipped the guards out of the room as neither of the women were decent.

Fiora worked and sweated and finally the fire pulled out of the open wound sealing it as it left. The young princess collasped back into the arms of the queen that had joined her husband around the two. "Did...is...she alive?" Fiora was barely able to keep her eyes open as the work had taken a large amount of her strength.

Cinder groaned from pain as the fire entered her wound and began its work. She had foolishly convinced herself that magic was an instantaneous thing. That one simply imagined a desired result, and then made it so. The effort was almost as crude as actual surgery, though certainly more effective. At some point in the healing process Cinder had lost consciousness. The pain, the poison, and the blood loss proving too much for her to bare through.

There was a silence in the room for several seconds after Fiora finished her work. When she slumped back into the queen's arms, the king moved forward to Cinder's still body. He feared that all of this would have been for not, then the silence was broken by a deep gasp as Cinder returned to consciousness. She panted heavily, her eyes falling to where the knife had pierced her. She wiped some of the blood away, amazed by the fact that nothing was there, there was no scar, no intense pain of poison burning through her veins, only a lingering soreness and an exhaustion from blood loss. The king released a deep sigh before turning to Fiora and nodding his head.

So close was her brush with death, that it took her a moment to realize that she was indeed back in the land of the living. Cinder looked up to Fiora seeing how tiring the effort had been. Any lingering misgivings she had about this faded in that moment. She found that she lacked any words to properly extend her gratitude. "Thank you..." The expression seemed to lack the real feeling she wanted to express, but she said it with utmost sincerity.

The king offered his hand to Cinder, she waved it off, insisting on standing on her own. She leaned back against the wall. Realizing in that moment that she had burst in here, absent of clothing. Well, at least there would be no lingering doubt about where the nickname "She-prince" came from. The king looked to his wife before giving a nod. "I do not expect that they would be so foolish as to try a second time in the same night, but I will double the guard just the same." Cinder offered him a small nod of gratitude before moving to help Fiora to her feet. Soon after, the king and queen departed from the room.

Fiora was so glad that Cinder was alright that she just let all the strength go out of her and just leaned there for a long moment. She sighed deeply watching Cinder stand, her eyes traveled over the wound that had been there glad to see no mark on that smooth stomach. Her eyes were drawn lower and she couldn't stop herself. Her mouth dropped open in shock and a flash of lust went through her as she saw just why Cinder was called the She-prince.

The poor princess couldn't help the stare for a long moment only being able to look at the one she was now married too. She swallowed hard looking at what by right of marriage was now hers to indulge in. she blushed at the thought and turned to look away forcing such horrible thoughts away from her mind. Chastising herself she missed what the king said as she was trying to burn such indecent thoughts from her brain especially after having lost Marcus to that devil.

She accepted Cinder's help but found she couldn't stand without leaning on her a little. As she was left alone with the object of her hatred, and now her lust she looked up into Cinder's eyes. "We should both try and get more sleep...its a long trip tomorrow." She was unsteady as she was saying that but slowly made her way over to her bed not refusing help if Cinder offered it. "Um..." she blushed as she looked around her room seeing the blood stain where the body had fallen and blushing, she didn't want to sleep alone now. "Can...um...can I sleep with you?" she was so red it was hard to tell where her face stopped and hair began.

Cinder stayed close to Fiora just in case she needed her help. Her eyes moved about the room when Fiora raised her question. She looked to both the stains where the body lay, and where her own blood had pooled. It was certainly not a comforting place to spend the night. "Sure. I don't mind." She answered after a brief moment of thought. She collected her dagger from the floor before moving to help her wife to the bedroom. She helped her to the bed, gently guiding her to sit down. "Are you sure you're alright?" She asked, as she examined her momentarily.

After a moment, she walked over to her wash basin, dipping her rag in before cleaning the blood from her body. She pulled one of the local's robes from the closet, choosing to cover herself before she made Fiora uncomfortable. She tied the sash tightly around her waist before moving to join her in the bed. She pulled the covers up over her body before rolling over onto her side, facing the wall. "Sleep well." She said quietly before closing her eyes and trying to sleep.

Fiora moved to the bed and settled down slowly regaining her strength. She nodded slowly at Cinder's question if she was alright. Fiora was doing her best to not look again at Cinder's naked form. She could still feel herself blushing as the thoughts threatened to come back to her. She was a virgin but it didn't mean she didn't know what happened between men and women, her fiancé and her had been very affectionate before he was killed. Happy when the vision was hidden from her by the robes.

She was still sitting on the edge of the bed when Cinder slipped into bed. She finally moved slipping into the bed also pulling the covers up. She looked over at the She-prince and sigh before moving onto her side facing Cinder's back. "Um Cinder...are you still awake?" she blushed deeper before continuing "I was just wondering...well a couple things. First, what are you to me? I mean a normal man would be my husband...you're not a man...but you aren't a woman either. So what do I call you?" he mind was racing quickly eclipsing other things she had meant to ask as most questions rushed through her mind.

Cinder sighed quietly. "Yes. I'm still awake." In fact, she found it difficult to imagine sleeping that evening. Between the night's excitement and trying to get used to sharing her bed, she was not in a comfortable place. Fiora's question was a legitimate one, but she wasn't sure if she had an answer. The exact nature of her gender had been a question that had plagued her for much of her youth. It had made defining herself or establishing relationships difficult. She'd simply given up on her gender identification and dedicated herself to life as a warrior. "Does it matter? I've been an object first and a person second my entire life. Your parents call me 'thing', you call me 'monster', my parents call me 'traitor', my comrades called me 'brother', my brother called me 'sister', even here among strangers I'm just a means to an end." She shook her head softly, even the nickname 'She-prince' was an amalgamation of gender roles. "They're all just words. They carry no definition any more."

"Ideally, I would have you call me 'friend' perhaps something more one day. But since you've already established that as impossible..." She rolled onto her back, staring at the ceiling in thought. "I don't much care what you call me. Whichever makes you more comfortable, I suppose." She looked over at Fiora after a brief moment of thought. "Was there something else?" She asked softly.

Fiora blushed deeply as Cinder talked through all the struggles she had been through her whole life trying to establish her gender and who she was. She hadn't meant to hurt Cinder in asking wanting instead to understand how she saw herself. She rolled over to face Cinder on the bed and had to stop herself short as her hand had come up almost brushing Cinder's cheek before the other rolled onto her back.

Making a choice deep inside she sat up onto her elbow and looked down at Cinder. "Well...yes but I fear I have forgotten it now." She blushed again before her hand came up brushing over Cinder's cheek like she had almost done a moment ago. "Cinder...I will work on my feelings...I realized tonight that even though I said those horrible things to you...you came to save me and almost died." She moved to look down into Cinder's eyes tears in her own. "I loved Marcus and yes you killed him. But he believed in peace and would be...he would bend me over his knee and spank my ass raw for the way I have been acting." She blushed deep red before she leaned down close and lightly pressed her lips against Cinder's lips. "I don't know if I can love you, and it will take time to be your friend...but for now I know I can call you at least one thing....partner." she looked at cinder trying to gauge her reaction. "Would that be alright for now?"

The feeling of Fiora's hand against her cheek was so soft and gentle, so stark in its difference from the harsh slap earlier that day. It was a contact so unexpected that she flinched lightly. Though the touch that followed was even more expected. The kiss was so brief and so soft that she didn't get the chance to really return it. She breathed out a quiet sigh at her words. It was an impressive step forward for Fiora, unfortunate that it almost cost Cinder her life to get this far, but it was moving in the right direction. "Partner sounds a lot better than monster. I'll take it." She said with a faint smile.

She reached up, brushing some of her tears away with her thumb. Her tears cut her deep. Her own grief having been drown out by guilt. She knew there were no words she could say to make her mourning easier. In time, perhaps, she would be able to convey that her and Marcus meeting in battle, and his dying came down to the misfortune of their birth. Had the war never happened, or had they been born on the same side, they surely would have been friends and comrades.

Fiora smiled blushing in the darkness glad that she couldn't be seen. Rolling back over she lay down her back to Cinder almost wishing her partner would roll in behind her and hold her. She settled into the bed finding it very comfortable even more so then the one she had slept in most the night. Sighing deeply she let her body relax as sleep started to take her.

She would see this peace through for Marcus if nothing else, though she was starting to wonder if part of this wasn't for herself and for Cinder. She bit her own lip softly as she moved her thighs a little feeling the wetness there. Just that kiss and the feeling of Cinder through that thin robe had been enough to make her start to moisten. She blushed again burying her face as she drifted to sleep, thinking what a slut she must be for her reaction.

Cinder watched Fiora lay back down and roll away from her. Part of her wanted to hold her as she slept, maybe offer some form of comfort or security, but she didn't want to press her luck. She feared that her actions would make her appear as some manner of pervert and chose instead to roll away from her. She stared at the wall, unable to sleep for most of the night, content instead to listen to Fiora's gentle breathing. When sleep finally did take her, the rest was plagued by incessant nightmares, reliving the gruesome last battle of the war.

Sometime just before the dawn, she woke with a start. She sat up quickly panting heavily as her head fell into her hands. She wiped the sweat from her brow before looking at Fiora, noticing that she was still asleep, she slipped free of the blankets and proceeded to dawn her Draconian uniform. She considered waking Fiora, but decided that after the last night's excitement that she would let her catch up on her rest. As soon as she was dressed she set to doing her morning exercise routine.

Back
Top Bottom