Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The story of when we met (Candira and Kolath)

Luke nodded to the man giving him his horse's reins before following the lady into the ranch. At first glance he thought that the sister she called Roxanne was sizing him up, though if it was for a noose or not he wasn't sure. Seeing both sister's buy their cover story set Luke at ease and he greeted both warmly and openly. After they were left alone he looked to Cora, he could see the worry and all the emotions she had been feeling and trying her best to hide in front of her sisters. He could understand and sympathize with her he just hoped that he was right and Duncan was just here hiding out not wanting to expose himself.

He reached down lightly touching Cora's arm. "You did well, and I think we should take a bit and establish that he isn't here or on his way back into the ranch first of all." This was spoke low and soft enough that anyone walking in on them wouldn't hear what he said, just that he was talking. For the sake of his cover he spoke louder in answer to her question. "Well Cora, Marcus always promised to show me the ranch when I got out this way. Why don't we start with looking over the out buildings and bunkhouses where your men spend their off time. Maybe I can offer some advice seeing how I see a lot of ranches in my time, something to add to productivity for your ranch."

She nodded as he told her the plan, accepting his compliment without really acknowledging it. Still, it pleased her to know that she was at least coming off as convincing. It tied her stomach in knots that she couldn't tell her sisters, but the professional law man had told her that it wouldn't be wise. As much as she thought she would be protecting her sisters with the information, he didn't seem to think so.

Duncan's location was her priority right now. She would ask around about that using Luke as her excuse. She'd want to know if her hands were taking care of a certain kind that she could show him. If they were, all the better. A status update would be great.

She did find the way he so naturally comforted her and assumed his role to be fascinating, though. Perhaps he had really considered a lifestyle like the one he was trying to portray once upon a time. He seemed knowledgeable to her, and she knew he was just putting on an act. If he wasn't a law man, he would probably have made a very good con man. Still, she nodded. "That sounds wonderful, thank you. Seems like as good a place as any to start our tour. Follow me."

The brightness in her voice was just enthusiastic enough for company like this, but her smile only came back into play on her way out of the charming house she shared with her siblings. She greeted several hard-working hands who only had nice things to say to her, and helped him search the bunkhouses under the guise of a tour. When no one turned up, she became a little more nervous than she probably ought to have been.

Still, they had plenty of time to search. The stables would probably be her first stop. And then a talk with her sister, Roxanne. If anyone knew the whereabouts of Duncan, it was her sister. She was the foreman, after all.

Back
Top Bottom