Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Soldier and the Spy (AnjelRocker and I)

Anna and the girls finished there song with slight applause, Alexander was glad for the respite, hoping to be spared any further embarassment. Fannie and Anna asked if there might be any other cakes left, as they were slightly famished from their performance. Mother nodded, with some polite offers and refusals passed among the mothers off went Mother, Mrs Caldwell and Fannie to the kitchen. Anna asked about any more cider, Father and Mr Caldwell then left with Betsy to fetch more from the cellars, as the men seemed to be in some hushed discussion of business so left to continue with Betsy going to return with the cider. Anna stood and with a smile and a flourish walked up to them.

"It was a delight to meet you Eleanor," she glanced up at him as Anna had on that knowing smile she seemed to have affected recently. It was as if a younger sister reached a certain age and suddenly was a woman with knowledge of the wide world, where Anna obtained all this was a mystery to him. "I do hope my brother treats you well," a warning glace to him as Anna held Eleanor's hands, "or he will be hearing it from me. Perhaps you as well?" At the end Anna reached up for an affection kiss on Eleanor's cheek before departing the room. Closing the door behind her.

"Well, I'll be," he looked around surprised as the events sunk in to him. "We're alone," turning to Eleanor felt giddy when he looked upon her, just the two of them again. His heart aching to hold her, kiss her. Pulling her into his arms let his lips fall on her softly, not wishing to waste the moment.

The rustle of her skirts as he pulled her close, feeling her body stretch to reach her lips to his. As the house seemed alive around them the space in the room was oddly quiet with just the two of them. He could almost hear their hearts beating, both fast, both hard, and almost in tune. As if they were getting closer and closer together. Reaching a hand up to brush her cheek felt his throat close in nervousness, as if the words that were there, and he knew he had the moment now. If he did not sieze it, then it would be gone forever. The feeling that Eleanor would be gone forever. Out of reach, and never to return.

Swallowing hard the courage it took to take in that next breath and say those words were more than he had ever needed. His first declaration. Harder than leading his regiment to battle. Worse than facing the dreaded rifles of the British. Before him, in those deep brown eyes was an enemy that could wound him in a way far more debilitating than a bullet. Fearing her rejection even after all the time they had spent together the worry was there, but he charged forward. With her in his arms he looked down at her, the eyes that drew in his soul, the face lovlier than any angel in heaven.

"I love you Eleanor," the words almost came out rushed. As if by finishing them it would all be right, she would not reject him, wound him in the heart, a wound that could never be seen and not be healed by a surgeon's hands. "Ever since that first moment I saw you, I was incomplete without you. I love you with all my heart and soul," as he finished his courage was there. The words held the conviction that was within him, as he touched her cheek and she did not withdraw he felt that she cared as much for him. That made all right with him, smiling, he waited for her reaction.

There had never been a moment in her life where her heart had ached such as it was in those very moments… there was love. That she was sure of, however she knew in those moments that what she was doing was wrong. She loved him but she was beside herself for she could not betrayal this man and the cause that he stood so blinding by. He was a Patriot and she was using him for that information. It was important information to the cause and yet, she was turning on a man that she loved. What if her relaying these messages hurt him? She was going to have to stop her work if she was going to engage herself with him. Where would it stop? Marriage or if they had children, could she do that?

Her green eyes were on him for a moment after he had said those words, his own eyes intently on her. Her mind was racing and her heart thumping against her chest as if it were trying to break free. “I…” She started. Would she listen to her head or her heart?

“I love you too, Alexander.” Her heart had won this battle, there was relief because part of her knew that was what he wanted to hear from her but, it was the truth as well. She was in love with this man, something that had once been so foreign to her. After all, she had had men professing their love for her before but this was different.

For she was confessing her own love for him in return, “I love you.” She repeated it as if it had been a bit of a shock to her. “I apologize for being so shocked… it is because I have been called an Ice Queen before by those who have confessed their love for me… I simply did not know that I was in love with you.” Eleanor admitted to him as she was looking down at his chest for a moment. Taking the time to look up at him, “I find myself enamored by the thought of a life together with you… I think that you could provide for me and any children that we could possibly have and oh lord, I suppose that I am getting a little ahead of myself.”

Eleanor laughed as she wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned into him, it was a wonderful feeling to be young and in love with him. “You ought to kiss me again.” She said softly with a smirk as her skirts rustled a little with their movements. However, she did not wait for him to kiss her because she was now kissing him.

As she kissed him the tension that had slowly been building broke inside him. Taking the opportunity offered them by Anna he wrapped his arms around her, holding Eleanor close, feeling her breath on his cheek and his hands holding her slim form close. That she loved him back, she wanted a future with him, it freed his heart that had been beating hard in his chest. The worry, the fear of her rejection, though all signs had told him otherwise, only the words could have freed him from the fears that had passed through him. Now it was as if he had wings and soared in the clouds.

The smile felt as if it would split his face in two. "To hear those words," he began and had to stop, the happiness that flowed through him was too much for words. Pulling Eleanor close, staring into her green eyes as he moved towards her lips, pressing together for a long moment that seemed to stretch to infinity. "I knew, but to hear you say it makes it all seem true," putting his arms around her picked her up and swung her half way around into the room as if they were dancing, except only his feet were on the floor.

"I could never see anything frozen about you my love, your eyes, heart, and face are so alive to me. If an angel fell to Earth and stood beside you, even under its radiance I would know which one was you. The one more beautiful, the one who makes my heart skip a beat. To know that we both think of a life together means it is meant to be. I have thought often of what it would be like to come to a home that we shared, we built together. It warms my heart that we think of it together." For that moment he was lost in his future fantasies describing the home they would have, the table they would eat at, the parlor they would spend their evenings reading or sewing. The childen they might have, giddy as a school boy Alexander could not stop himself.

"We should tell my parents," his breath became rushed now as if time which seemed to have stretched out before them as they kissed was now compacted. Each second now was another second they were not together, "we should tell your parents. Tonight? No, too soon. Tomorrow?" As if to rush things he fell to his knee looking up at her, his darling sweet angel and with her hand in his, "oh my dearest, its like a gate has been opened in me. I love you," he repeated over and over his smiled growing as he leaned in and pressed his lips to her hands. The lovely, elegant hands that were skilled enough to make such a dress.

"I want to ask your hand, but I must speak to your parents. I just don't know when," pressing her hands to his lips kissed them over and over as he looked up at her devotedly, wondering how he had ever survived this long without her.

She could not stop blushing as she was looking down at him as if he was being ridiculous at that moment. She wanted to be married to him as well but they were obviously going to need to be patient. After all, he was going to have to discuss it with his family first about the idea, then he was going to have to make arrangements to visit her father. With that, then he could ask her father if he could marry her. Once getting the approval… well, then they could be alone and he could ask her. It was something that may take some time, even with the revolution that was happening around them.

“Alexander…” She said softly knowing that she was going to keep him a little grounded in that way. “We have to wait a little bit. Our families have only just meet and it was a success but you ought to talk to your parents.” She started as she was gently touching his cheek. She was in love with his man but he was being too hasty with his plans. They had a life together, she was sure of it. “And then, you must send word of a meeting with my father in three days or so… then you can ask him for my hand.” She said with a smile.

“I want this more than anything as well… the idea of being happily married to the man that I love. Well, I can hardly contain myself…” She looked happy and excited, she wanted him to swing her around once again. “I love you too, Alexander.” She waited for him to stand up once again. “I would get married in secret if she could… it is a little romantic. However, I think it is best if we are patient… we know that we will be wed.” And it could get her time to call off her spying.

“Now, will you stand up so I can kiss you again?” She asked teasing him as she did not wait for she was down and hugging him as well, hoping that he could kiss her.

That she would secretly marry him almost had him in shock. "I did not know," he started and was at a loss for words. "That you and I could elope, I had imagined it, a fancy I know, but to hear it from your lips." It was as if there was already a bond between them. As if they were a couple.

She kneeled on the floor with him their bodies clasped, their lips met, and the touch was long and deep. The kiss brought them together and Alexander felt giddy, drunk on love the kiss took on something more. Like an affirmation of their feelings the simple touch acted like a seal on the words they had begun to profess. As if stamped and marked, their love was now spoken, between them, like a living thing that bound them, brought them together, and as she was near his heart would grow in his chest. As the kiss continued, his arms around Eleanor, a hand caressing her slim neck and following the graceful curve up to her hair.

Slowly the kiss began to melt away. Anna was becoming a perceptive young lady, he thought as they pulled away, the green eyes looking at him softly. He wondered what had happened to the young, innocent girl he would sometime tease. How she and Eleanor's sisters had conspired to give them this time together that brought them even closer. It was as if the younger girls knew what they needed before they did. Alexander would have to see they were rewarded.

Smiling he took another brief kiss then they stood, still holding her close. The physical act of holding her had changed now that he knew it was a woman who returned his affections that was in his arms. As if everything had changed, but not, only a new awareness of what passed between them. Staring at her a moment to memorize her face, eyes, the way her hair fall across her ear, he knew he had to break the silence as their time would be limited.

"I know I get ahead of myself," he admitted bashfully, "as you might guess its hard to think correctly when you are in love." Giving her a knowing smile held her close again. "I just want us to be together, being patient is difficult but for you I will do my best."

Standing tall and taking a deep breath, as if at attention in ranks, he looked down at her with a smile that was proud and already made his cheeks ache. "I will be speaking with my parents tonight, if Anna hasn't already, then I will make an official declaration to your parents," a slight worry came over him. The same shred of doubt that had hung over him before he knew Eleanor loved him as well. "Do you think they would accept? I assume they must think I am suitable if only for letting us spend time together."

“Well, I suppose it was a bit of a jest… I would elope if you wanted to. However, my mother would be so disappointed to not be able to plan her oldest daughter’s wedding.” She mentioned to him. “Although, I don’t know how much planning there will be. I want a simply wedding… just a ceremony to connect this bond between us.” She said softly as she patted his hand a few times before he kissed her and she was doing the same. They would need to stop soon because it could get inappropriate rather quickly.

They were looking at each other with loving eyes, two young people in love… a most wonderful feeling to be in. It was as if they were in their own little world, the two of them right there in the sitting room… and on the floor no less. Anyone who was an onlooker would think that it was improper and ridiculous but they would be perhaps ignorant of it. However, like all good things… the spell would have to end soon… no matter how much she did not want it to. “You are perhaps a little but it is endearing me to you…” She said softly before taking his hand into her own. “I suppose this is what the poems of love and romance are talking about when they speak of utmost joy and the feeling of your heart about to spring forth from your chest. My heart is beating so fast.”

She was still sitting on the floor when he stood up and spoke. She waited for him to offer his hand to her before taking it and smiling. Alexander helped her up off the carpet as she said, “Thank you.” Eleanor did pause for a moment as she said, “You do not think they would accept?” She asked him with a tilt of her head. “I don’t know why you would say that… I think that you are perfectly suitable. You can support me and any children that we will have.” She was certain they would have children. “And… you also are the most handsome man… as well as sweetest that I have had the pleasure of meeting in my life. Yes, I think they will be more than glad to have you as a son in law.” She mentioned to him with a grin.

“You know… they have accepted only one proposal before.” She said as she took his hand into her own. “However, I would not have him.” She explained as she remembered that awful day when she snubbed Tomas. He had been so upset. “I will have you if you were to ask.” She whispered softly as she stepped closer and touched his arm. He was looking so proud and handsome. It made her heart flutter a little be as she sighed. “Does that give you a little more confidence?” Eleanor asked him in a low almost cooing voice.

Good lord, she was going to have to stop… she was becoming a seductress. Standing a little straight, she said. “I suppose I ought to stop this… before our parents return.” She said and at that moment, she could hear them coming down the corridor talking perhaps a little louder as if to warn them.

As they stood he held on to her hands a moment more than was proper, after revealing what was in their hearts Alexander did not want to let her go. Though it seemed as if their futures lay open together, more sure now than before that they could and would be together he felt himself grow taller before her. The smile that had grown on his face, the warmth on his lips, they both hurt and healed at the same time. A hand on his arm and he felt as if he could take on the world. It was this feeling that got him through the previous battle on the harbor islands with her kerchief as a token, this moment he would take with him to the next one.

The voices came louder outside, he nodded as he knew the evening would soon be done. "It does," he smiled and reached a hand up to caress the slight curve of her cheek. "I will meet with your father and present to him, and your mother, my proposal." As the words left his mouth his heart beat heavily, thinking of the future together. As man and wife, living together. Brushing the thoughts away before they became improper. "Thank you for sharing your heart with me, I haven't felt as close to someone as I do with you, you give my life meaning, purpose. I know I am talking silly, you are never far from my mind and if I am to share my life with someone I want it to be with you." Pulling back to hold her hands as the voices came to the door Alexander could not help but smile more as the doors opened and the room became lively again with voices.

The others gathered one more time in the room, the energy and cheer ran through them all, as did the claret and cider. As the hour lengthened it was time to call for the carriage. Anna was having a hard time letting the sisters go, though they were already planning a time to meet together, father was convivial, more than he had seen him and mother seemed complacent. To Alexander the night could not have gone better. To know that Eleanor felt the same way about him as he did about her, it took the weight of the world off his shoulders. Like Atlas he could hold any weight now, with her near him, with her love, he felt as if he could handle everything. Once the King, and England, realized their mistake and calm returned to the colonies, they could start a life together.

As the Caldwell's ascended to their carriage, Alexander aiding Mrs Caldwell and the sisters to their seats he spoke to Mr Caldwell in as low a voice as he could. Slightly shy, but brimming with confidence after knowing Eleanor's heart he shook hands and held it a moment. "Mr Caldwell, I would like the privilege to speak with you privately about a matter between us, about Eleanor." He ran his tongue over his mouth that had suddenly gone dry as a smile broke out on Mr Caldwell's face.

A nod, "yes, Mr Gage," turning towards Mrs Caldwell as if pulling her into the conversation. A slight nod from her as well as the smiles grew between them. "I look forward to that discussion. Come see me, when you are able."

Bowing slightly, turning to Eleanor, the love showing in his eyes as he looked upon her. Not as his fancy, not as a dream, but something real. Someone who could be his, as if all his life had led up to this moment. Taking her hand, kissed it as he led her to the carriage. "Good night, dearest Eleanor," the smile behind his eyes said more than words could at this moment. More than what had passed between them already, so he left it at that.

Again, there was the inner turmoil of her life swirling around inside of her as she watched this beautiful, sweet man kissing her hand slowly. Eleanor knew what the next step was in this relationship… it was what the next step was in any formal courting. Some courted for years and other for months and yes, it was a fast courting but what was hanging over their heads was something that was far greater than the two of them. It was history and although, they did not know it at the time… history was ever changing and this to would change their lives. “Good night, Alexander. I await the next time that I may have you in my arms.” She whispered as he let go of her hand and she had it close to her heart. “Good night, my love.” She said before her eyes cast down and she moved from him so that she could go into the carriage with her sisters and parents.

As she was settled down, the door was shut but she was looking out and smiling at him. No, she was not thinking of what the consequences of what could happen with her letters to her brother. Soon, she would realize and then, she would have to pull herself from that correspondence. Waving, Eleanor watched him until she could no longer see him. There was a small smile on her face as her head leaned against the window all the way home.

---

When they did arrive home, it was her youngest sister who was teasing her first. “Ellie’s in love… Ellie’s in love.” It was soon when Fannie was saying the same thing before her mother was the one who tell the two girls that they were being silly and that it was nice that their sister had found a charming young man who obviously cared for her. There was also a little lecture on how they would one day find someone who would make their heart flutter. Smiling, Eleanor looked at her mother. “It is strange, Mama… but I am in love… I don’t know why… well, I suppose it is because Captain Gage is a good man… I suppose the only drawback is that he is a Revolutionary… it will make it difficult.” She said honestly as her mother said. “Eleanor, please a lady mustn’t talk about politics… it is so unladylike.” Her lips pursed together after what her mother said. “I only think of Arthur and Andrew… both of them are in the Navy. One is a world away but Arthur is only in the Boston Harbour… and he is a loyalist.” She said quietly as her mother waved her hand.

“That has very little to do with us, Eleanor.” She said at her father came in and spoke. “Eleanor, all will be settled when the government compromise with the Rebels and this silly little rebellion will be over in a year or so… it is all simply because the House of Lords are rather stubborn and with the French and Indian War all those years before… come come child… go to sleep. I have a feeling that you will be happily engaged come a few days from now.”

Eleanor was quite unsure for the moment that it would be done with a compromise… no, she had a dark feeling that this was going to go on for a lot longer than her father was estimating.

Alexander waited on the street until the carriage went around the corner, the hooves of the horses sounded loud against the cobblestones of the streets. The lamps outside the houses on their street cast a pallid glow, but it did not dim the one in his heart. Anna came down to the street and took his arm, pulling him up the stairs and into the house. His heart still beat hard as he thought of their future, the fact that he had just parted with the future Mrs. Alexander Gage. That Eleanor would have chosen him over all the other suitors that she had mentioned, he found it more a compliment than anything. She had chosen him, the smile beamed on his face as he was directed to sit on the sofa. Anna and his parents looking at him, the smile on Anna's face was as broad as his own.

"I like her," Anna said. Taking up a cup of cider as his mother and father agreed. Mentioning how they did like the parents, and for a man with three young ladies who all seemed well behaved and accomplished for once mother did not make a suggestion as to another of her friend's daughters.

"I as well," he agreed standing as he drained his claret, standing to get another. "I will need to discuss with her father about a future date." Anna clapped and her feet ran a tattoo on the floor in excitement, "I imagine you would like to perform the wedding march for us? Without embellishments," he offered and warned Anna who smiled demurely.

"Alexander," she looked at him in mock surprise, "I have no idea what you mean."

Mother and father agreed with him, for once, and Anna took a look of mock indignation as a knock came on the front door. A man in one of the brown uniforms of the Regiment stood at attention in the hall and saluted. "Sorry to disturb you sir," the man nodded to them, a long look at Anna then at attention. "Orders sir, we are summoned back. Deployment tomorrow," a hand held out a folded piece of paper that asked Alexander to return to camp for the morrow.

"Well, I guess I will need to wait," he nodded and ran upstairs to change.

---

Tomas moved down the space between the houses, working his way to the back door of the Caldwell's. Knowing where the kitchen door was, he had stared at it for years as he pined for Eleanor, but now rather than coming for her he was here for something else. His uniform on, back in the Regiment with a stern talking to, mixed in with a few other men who had left to do work on their farms, and a drunk. It was easy to get back into ranks. No one looked at the infantrymen, they were all expendable, faceless and nameless, he showed up, or not, as he needed so he could get what information he could.

Only now, as he knocked on the door to the kitchen of the Caldwell's. Seeing their kitchen servant inside cleaning a table and mixing something before the fire, knew that it was best to have the messages sent between them indirectly. Arthur would probably think it best, but it also would suit Tomas better if he could get Eleanor away from Gage and her family. If she was sending messages to Arthur, then he could use that one way or another. If she was seeing Gage then he knew why, or thought he did, and just the impression of it would be enough to get her to do as he willed.

As the maid came he left the note, saying it was important to get it to Eleanor, it was from her brother as that would arouse little suspicion. With his duty done, and a note in there for a meeting to be set for tomorrow, after dark. He felt some excitement that she was, unknowingly, coming to see him.

It was a maid who came to her as she was going up the steps to bed that evening. “Miss… there was a message for you while you were away.” She said softly as she slipped Eleanor a note. “From your brother.” The maid was being very decreed about the letter. Eleanor smiled before saying, “Thank you so much, Vickie.” She said to the coloured maid who made a curtsy. “You can go to bed, Vickie. I can undress myself this evening.” The truth was that she hoped to read the message as soon as she could before the end of the evening. Quickly, she was up the stairs and going to her own room. The one that she had received when her brothers had gone off to the Navy. After all, there was only the four bedrooms and Mama had her own as well as Papa. She had once had to share with her two sister but no longer and she was quite thankful for it as she said a quick good night to Fannie and Betsy before she was into her room. Of course, she wanted to get out of her gown and take her hair down from its coiffure. It took a little bit of time but she was out of her laces and gown as she tossed it over the dressing screen and was into her night gown.

Vickie would deal with her laundry come the morning as she went over to the fireplace and went to open the later. She had a little knife on the mantle to cut the sealed envelope as she opened it. Her eyes was going over the message. There was a different sort of code in the letter but she did recognize that perhaps, her brother was trying to throw those who might have read it off.

There was a set up for a meeting and she nodded a few times. Well, it was not a meeting with her brother… well, it could be but then… that was a bit dangerous. However, the possibility of seeing Arthur was exhilarating. She had not seen him in over a year and… having been her best friend. It was a feeling that made her so happy as she sighed and said. “I will most likely have to tell him that I can no longer feed him information…” She whispered more to herself as she went over to her bed. The room was warm with the fire from the fireplace and comfortable for sleeping.

The meeting was set for a few days from now and she knew that she would go and meet him… although, she would be slipping out the backdoor in the dead of night. Dangerous but she would be prepared… the nice thing was the streets were dark and so, it was easy to slip in and out of places. She had done so before to get letters to her brother… it was a risk that she was willing to make.

Battle_of_Chelsea_Creek.jpg

Alexander returned to camp in the midst of the muster, the men were put in order with arms and marched along the banks of the Charles towards the harbor. There they marched at night by torch along the shore towards the north, aiming to reinforce an intended engagement by Noddle's Island. An old proclamation by the Committee of Safety brought them there to remove livestock from the islands. As they crossed over they heard the dull peal of cannon as an engagment occurred early in the morning, they met with General Putnam's men and worked their way over to the islands and towards the ship Diana that was stranded in the lowering tide. Taking position they attacked the British forces and used cannon to fight against those taking position on the island, the ship escaped British hands and drifted across the river.

After taking the ship the militia on the Chelsea side of the creek fired her as the British gave up their position and the militia's moved back into position. Alexander and his men moved towards the shore, but were out of rifle range of the men they saw on the island, looking at those with red coats who aimed guns at them, firing a cannon that went towards their west at the cannon emplacement of the militia. Alexander's thoughts kept turning back towards Eleanor and wondering, would there be a bullet for him? A cannon ball that would stop their engagement before it happened? If not now, the next battle? Could they wait? Would he be able to, knowing what might happen? The most he could hope for was a date set in the autumn, but first he still needed to return and see Mr Caldwell, and make his formal request.

As the British retreated and they made their way back to the encampment Alexander felt as if he could breath easier, this time.

---

Tomas waited by the tree. It was dark and he watched for anyone coming, each time he heard the rustle of skirts he looked to see if it was Eleanor. Each time he was disappointed. Without seeing their faces he knew which woman was Eleanor, years of watching her, and the time he pursued her as his wife, he learned her well. Even in the dark he could sense her, there was something about a woman you loved that you could tell from afar, even when that love was not returned. As he rubbed the edge of his coat he wondered what she would say, knowing that he was working for her brother. That much he knew he would have to tell her, somehow work her to gain Alexander Gage's confidence so he would be implicated. At the right time he could send a message noting that Gage was a suspected spy, and let the militia do the rest.

Tomas almost laughed aloud at the simplicity of it. Spies were so notorious that even the mere suspicion was enough to get one pilloried, or even tarred. That would be too much to hope for.

As the footsteps came he knew immediately, watching from the dark, letting her get close. Wanting to leap out Tomas held himself in check as the excitement rose. Finding he loved the sneaking around, the shadows suited him. This was how he would like to fight the war, from behind, in the dark. Faceless. Smiling he stepped out from behind the tree slowly as Eleanor stepped closer, a finger to his lips to shush her so she would not bring notice from the few other bodies on the street.

Softly he spoke as he stepped up to her, a broad toothed smile on his face. "Good evening, Miss Caldwell. Your brother sends his regards," a mock bow as Tomas held out a hand, "would you have a message for him?"

She loathed being out in the darkness, there were no lights except from a window at times but Eleanor’s eyes adjusted slowly to the lack of light. It was lucky that she knew the streets of Cambridge as well as the rendezvous point. Usually, she met one of her brother’s allies with her messages of information. Sometimes, it had been an older gentleman with a long nose and a wide head. Or it had been a tall Negro… or sometimes a middle aged woman with a sweet kindly face. All were spies for her older brother. However, she certainly did not expect the man that had been sent that evening.

Eleanor stepped outside of the wooden area, it was a little cold as she had a shawl wrapped tightly around her shoulders to shake off the chill. She froze as she heard the familiar voice behind her, his voice grating on her very being. She turned her face to him, a practiced a cool expression. It was almost as if she had expected that Tomas was a spy. He had always been a bit of a sly man… and one who had proclaimed his love for her once.

Of course, he did not know what love was. Eleanor was more inclined to believe that Tomas had lusted after her. Her mind went to that day at her parent’s garden party when he had gotten down on one knee… he had been proposing her after trying to court her. Well, perhaps some of it had been her own fault with leading him on and being kind to him. However, she had not been interested in him in the slightest. And when she had rejected him… well, the look on his face had been utter disbelief and disappointment. He had obviously felt there they would have a life together and she had not.

“Mr. Dooley…” She said without much expression. “It seems that you are working for my brother.” It was a little obvious as she was holding a package of envelopes with her messages. “The last I saw you was when my father was being mobbed.” He had not done much for her father that horrible day… unlike Alexander who had stopped it from happening.

“I do have several messages for him.” She said as she took a step closer to hand off her envelopes as she waited for him to take them from her. His appearance was leaving a sour taste in her mouth as she watched him. “Since when have you been working for my brother?” She asked him directly wanting to be on her way back to her house. At least, if she was at home then she was safe in her own place… there were unsightly folk in the dark and she certainly did not want to be out here for much longer. Tomas being one of those that she certainly did not feel comfortable with.

“I must return home.” She said shortly after passing along her message.

For once there was something that made him think Eleanor was caught off guard. She hadn't been anything but cold to him since he made his intentions known, though it was obvious where his thoughts were long before that day. Growing up together with families that were together they had spent a lot of time together as children, and nearby as they grew older. Still he was always there for her and she accepted him, giving him the idea that maybe they could have a future together. Even when spurned he thought that one day she might return his affections, his attention that day of the mob had been for her, but instead she had given it to Lieutenant Gage.

"I have always been around Eleanor, even if you didn't notice me." In truth she hadn't noticed him, even as they attended the small balls, the same area. Their houses still abutted, and ever since she dismissed him Tomas had been invisible to her. There was discomfort in her, and the part of him that had been spurned enjoyed that. Liked that he had been able to make her twinge a little bit, as she had made him do.

"Arthur sends his regards," he told her coldly as he took the message. Letting his fingers brush against hers, for a moment his heart raced. To be so close, near enough to take her up in his arms and cover her with kisses. It was exhilarating. Perhaps, this was what he meant to do. Yes, bring down Lieutenant Gage, and pick up the pieces with Eleanor. He liked that.

Turning as if to go he stopped, Tomas had always thought of himself as a bit of an actor. As a spy he could use those skills for the good of the King, and if he somehow benefited by obtaining Eleanor at the end. No harm in that.

"I decided my true loyalties have never changed," he stopped her with a look. "Though I am embedded with your precious Mister Gage," he could not use the rank the colonials used. Their sham of an army, how easy it was to slip in and out, "my true masters are out in the bay. Those whom I serve, who we all serve, are there. This rabble that considers itself an army will never stand up to the true might of the King." For a moment his heart swelled with pride, and thinking of how soon this rebellion will be over.

"Arthur doesn't know of your attachment does he?" Tomas thought that she spent too much time with Mister Gage, Arthur did not know where Eleanor got her information and though it might be innocent and she not be too forward with him, they did spend a lot of time together. "Your source? Do you think," tapping the message against his cheek Tomas looked at her intently a slight menace creeping in, "do you think I should add a bit for Arthur? Tell him where you get your information, hmm?"

She had tried to let him know that she did not see him as any more than a friend and neighbour, however… Tomas had always been persistent in his pursuit of her when she had gently let him down and spurned him various times. “Why must you make our encounters entirely unpleasant?” She muttered more to herself than to him as she passed the letters into his hand. “Yes, I am sure that my brother does since I have been in correspondence with him for a time.” Eleanor sounded like she was perhaps a little short on patience for the moment before she quickly pulled her hand away from his own.

She was uncomfortable with him and she simply wanted to go in the opposite direction and back to her own home. Glancing at Tomas when he seemed to be on his own way before proclaiming that his loyalties laid with the King. In truth, it is where her own loyalties lay but she was also rethinking because the man that she was in love with had a different cause…

She did not want to risk Alexander’s live… even if it were for King and Country.

Her eyes narrowed as she watched Tomas, “Are you going to tell him then… or are you going to try and blackmail me?” She said with distain in her voice.

She had a feeling that he would go so far as to blackmail her for the protection of her dear one. “Tell him if you wish… you can also tell him that I am engaged to Captain Gage.” She corrected him on his bit on Mister Gage. “And that Mother and Father both quite pleased with the arrangement.” She had almost an innocent look on her face but she was also knew that it would perhaps upset him.

“Now, may I go or will you grace me with more of your insufferable nattering.” She asked as she turned so that she could be on her way before anyone at the house saw that anything was amiss.

Tomas almost laughed, for once the one who he worshipped akin to a queen was feeling nervous around him. Mr. Gage seemed to mean a bit more to Eleanor than he would have thought. Leverage against her he wondered. A sight jealousy reared its head to think that she was pursued by Mr. Gage, but to think she might actually care about him made it coil tightly within. He wanted her back, his need for Eleanor had never left even after she spurned him and if this would bring him closer to her, then so be it.

"Engaged? To a turncoat, a rebel?" Tomas chuckled out loud as he heard that. He guessed she was getting information from him, but to go that far? "Well, I see you are really taking your advantage, a far step to go to get what the King needs." Waving a hand as if it was inconsequential, "I suppose as the King needs, we must do."

As she turned to go, the proud face. The way her neck glinted in the firelight. It was like falling in love all over again with her, Tomas ached to reach out and take her in his arms. A step forward as his body reacted before he could stop himself, then as if to recover he walked around her, admiring her beauty as he did so.

"I am not sure Arthur would be as pleased with that bit of news," holding up the letters that he then slipped inside his coat. "If you wish I can pass it on though," she was nervous. Like a cat that was locked in a room, to hold her longer would only jeopardize his relationship with her later, when he helped to bring down this rebellion, she and Arthur would see. Then he could have her hand once again, Mr. Gage forgotten.

"Yes, yes, please my dear, as you must," he bowed low. Offering his leg to her in subservience, "your servant as always." Watching her go, a hand on the letters that she had touched, as if it was a pressing of the flesh, he waited until she disappeared then he too slipped away in the dark to meet those who would pass the messages along.

There was a moment when she felt fear of Tomas, there was something in his eyes that told her that he would do anything… anything to prove his worth to her. It was not a matter of using him and wrapping him around her little finger… she could do that if she found his weakness. Well, she knew his weakness and that was her… He lusted after her and if she was not so disgusted by his very being…

However, he also seemed to know what her weakness was? Did he? Her mind flashed to Alexander and that sweet smile that he gave her when they were together… his hand on her waist pressing her close for a kiss. Lord, she was in love with a Rebel and it was against her very being…

And yet, she was persisting with this little game of spy work for her brother and she was getting valuable information as a result. What would happen to Alexander? Would he be called a traitor and be executed? If he did not die in battle… Her heart was racing as she was walking in the opposite direction as Tomas. Her destination being her home, she would slip in the backdoor and up the servant stairs so that she could get home without being noticed by her sisters and parents.

Would she see Tomas again during this little charade? That was an answer that she knew right off the bat because he was now trusted by her brother and Arthur would trust that she would be more comfortable with someone that she knew. The problem being that she was by no means comfortable with her former neighbour. Certainly, not for a long shot.

Her steps took her quickly as she was making a light run on the cobblestone streets of the familiar houses… it was dark and luckily, she was able to slip into the shadows of her home as she sneaked inside slowly and made her way back to her bedroom without being noticed. Even taking off her shoes so that she could tip toe around the house and avoid the squeaks in the floorboards.

It was not long before she was nestled in her bed but yet, she could not sleep for Tomas’ words were bothering her. "I suppose as the King needs, we must do."

What if the King was wrong... what if the Rebels were right?

Alexander stood on the slope looking down at the mass of soldiers getting off the boats and joining the mass below, he walked behind his men he gave them some encouragement as he had been taught. The fever in them all still pitched after the offer of clemency the other day by General Gage, all but for John Hancock and Samuel Adams. The fact that the British General thought that they would give up and surrender did not seem to pan out, they had more men show up in the past two days increasing their numbers, all they needed was a change to test their mettle and here on Breeds Hill they were about the get it. On the flat shores of Bunker Hill the boats landed and the British soldiers were organizing into their companies and lines before the march up the hill.

Ships in the harbor belched smoke as a slight thunder rumbled, before the explosions of earth occurred around him as cannonballs dropped through their gentle arcs to fall into the redoubts built up below. Alexander stilled the nervousness in his stomach as the first line came up the slopes, touching the place in his coat where Eleanor's handkerchief was secured his thoughts drifted to her as he walked his redoubt telling his men to hold fire until the mass of men came closer. Eleanor was never far from his thoughts these days, the engagement had stiffened his resolve to end this rebellion and show the King the folly of Parliament's ways. Only then could the King's Peace allow him to move forward and marry Eleanor, though even that ceremony was months away.

He'd taken leave to spend more time with her, the formal asking and acceptance of his proposal for her had been a nervous time at their house. Offering his love and life to her, his future in the shipping business as income once the rebellion was done, for now it was a ceremony put off to the next year for them to give time for calm to come back to the New England. Nervous about the idea of the proposal had made his stomach sour, but to think that she would accept and give her hand to him, that had stepped Alexander up to the level of the angels. For days he was almost in a daze, a butt of jokes for his fellow officers, but at the time he did not care for their japes. That moment she said yes, and the sweet kiss after, when he held in his arms his future wife, it was as if their relationship suddenly changed, and somehow became more adult.

Time spent with Eleanor was more and more of a pleasure, each kiss brought them one more moment closer to marriage. Anna had become very fond of Fannie and Betsy, the girls began to spend more and more time together. Learning that Eleanor's brothers were serving in the British forces was a concern for a moment, but as one was in India Alexander expected never to fight that one, and with the other in the Navy he doubted that he would see the other on the field of fire. Thinking of that one brought his attention back to the hill as the guns began to go off along either line. The fog of musket fire erupted around him, the clouds boiling in the air before the lines and the way the smoke whipped itself by the musket balls that went through each. Most of the day was spent looking at roiling clouds pulled away by the wind, the first assault repulsed by their redoubts which increased their resolve. The second raising it to a fever pitch as a third began, the only worry the lack of ammunition among their lines.

On the third assault as the British line closed, getting closer and closer as he told the men to hold fire, save their ammunition until the lobsterbacks were close enough to make it count. During that one as he walked the line he felt the slight shove in his shoulder that knocked him down, a dull aching in his shoulder. Struggling to stand as his left arm hurt when he moved, shadows growing in his eyes as the sharp pain hit. Touching a hand to his shoulder pulled away red tipped fingers, his men began to move away, two of them pulling him along as they ran, the British line advancing. They stopped long enough to sheath his sword and shoulder their muskets before dragging him between, the musket ball felt like it was still inside, a raging fire built up within the pool of blood as he was brought to the cart with others, as his eyes grew dim he saw Masters nearby him, a hand on his.

Alexander looked up at his fellow officer feeling that he would never see her again, hear her laugh. Feel her blushing hot cheeks under his fingers and most of all her sweet lips against his. Slowly his eyes closed as he felt himself slipping away and heard himself say, "tell Eleanor I love her," his eyes grew dim and the darkness claimed him.

Her mind was conflicted as it always seemed to be these days because she felt like she was betraying a man that she had come to care for. He was going to be her husband, her parents approved of the arrangement. Something that she was surprised with that her mother was besotted with his family and their way of life. She had liked their simply elegance and had taken to arranging their home to be a bit more simple with the fewer possessions that they had because of the riots.

Her sisters had become fast families with Alexander’s sister, Anna who was truly a lovely girl. So much so that she was to come over and pay them a little visit on the hot June day. “I do hope that you do not have a wedding on such a hot day.” Fannie said as she had her fan out and was fanning at her face. “Yes, it is much too hot and you would not want to sweat too much.” Betsy said with a soft laugh.

“If I had it my way then you would be married in a week or so… but it is more fashionable for a longer engagement.” Not like the elopement that she had done with Mr. Caldwell when she had been a young woman… Not that it had been in fashion but it had been terribly romantic and had caused quite the scandal.

Eleanor was smiling as she sat on the settee and was having a bit of lemonade over shaved ice on such a hot day. “Mama… I know that you would like to have me married off. However, I ought to wait for a grace period.” She said as she thought of the planning. There had been some decisions about what church it would be at. Since the Anglican Church was no looking there, they would wed in Alexander’s church. There was also the events after, her parents did have a small dowry and they would pay for the wedding as well.

It was truly a moment of happiness in the family. However, the sounds of cannon fire could also be heard in the distant. Word had spread of the battle that was going at the Charlestown Peninsula. And there was a feeling of dread in the pit of her stomach… she knew that Alexander was there… only a few miles from Cambridge and those distant booms of cannon made her shutter at the thought that he could possibly be injured… or worst.

No, she would not think like that…

However, as the day went on… the cannon fire had stopped but there was a sinking feeling.

It was not until the next day when someone had come for her, two officers had come to the Caldwell residence to tell her that Captain Gage was alive… but he had been injured and was currently at the field hospital.

Eleanor knew that she had no choice as she said that she had to go and see Alexander at the Colonial camp for she needed to know that he was alright. Lord, were they going to send him home now? She perhaps had a one track mind and that was to see her fiancé with the fear that he could very well die. She only prayed that he did not get a fever.

---

It was well into the mid-day when she made it to the camp that the Colonial forces had set up as he had to ask where to go to see the field hospital. She had a basket that had food, water… along with bandages and anything that her mother had thought was needed to see Alexander. Eleanor knew that she had to see him… but there was also fear of what she would see when she got there.

She had had to ask a few times on the whereabouts of Captain Alexander Gage…

Tomas was cleaning his rifle when he heard the whispers nearby, he'd kept more alert since he had met Arthur hoping to add in any choice tidbits that he might catch in camp. Mostly there had been little more than about skirmishes far away, or what General was on his way to take command, on any given day there were 3 who were about to assume command from each other. Most of the camp gossip devolved down to which tavern maid was easy to bring out somewhere, or which place had the best ale or cider. Only when he heard about the dark haired beauty looking for an officer, again two or three per day since their loss at Charlestown, did he think Eleanor and quickly finish to walk to the wounded men's tent.

The moans that came from there were enough to keep him hidden, that and wanting Eleanor to keep from Eleanor's sight. Truly it was her, looking for her precious Mr. Gage. If only he had known and seen her beforehand, still the idle fancies played in his head about taking her away from him, and keeping her for his own. Meeting Arthur was not possible for awhile, he had sent messages on to the contacts he was told about, reading what missives he could that were often about troop strength and possible company engagements, nothing that would have truly been of use. Often he wondered, what would Arthur think of this arrangement? How could her parents find him suitable?

Turning away in disgust and jealousy Tomas felt he had to do something about that before it went too far, but what? How?

---

At first there was the dull ache, then the pain. As he lay on the stretcher the spectacled doctor came over, a man in an apron that looked as if it had come from a butcher's shop. The amount of blood on it was alarming, spots of blood from a hundred wounded had turned it into a blood soaked rag that barely protected the doctor from the sprays that erupted when treating the bullet wounds, or bayonette stabbings that filled the tent around him. Alexander did not even want to consider what might occur with an amputation from the men who had been struck by bullets elsewhere, or by a cannonball.

That pain had been nothing like the fire that came as the doctor lifted the bullet out of his shoulder, some of the thick wool of the coat had been in there too. With a probe the doctor removed what he could before putting a simple dressing on it, with a nod and a note to watch out for the smell. If it should fester or begin to stink then call him back, the man then waddled off to the next patient, the long jowls and balding head making his way across the room from stretcher to stretcher. In Alexander's hand the small musket ball that had implanted itself in his shoulder. That still felt as if there was a hot poker in it, he had tried to be brave, but as the forceps entered the wound he knew he had let out a shout or two, though no one seemed to begrudge him that.

With the ache in his shoulder, he felt weakened, as if the pain took all his strength. Slowly he closed his eyes, letting the sweat on his brow roll down his cheeks as he only had one thought running through his mind, of Eleanor. Somehow picturing her in his mind's eye he repeated her name over and over as he let himself rest.

She certainly had not been mentally prepared for some of the things that she had seen at the camp, it had been something that she supposed that she had only read in books before. No, she had not read about bullet wounds and amputations in books before. Of course, men had told her that a lady like she ought not to go further into the camp but Eleanor was stubborn to see Alexander. After all, she could never forgive herself if he were to die and she had never said goodbye to him.

Naturally, she did not want to think about that possibility either as she walked amongst the soldiers towards where she had been pointed to. There were hundreds of white canvas tents in the field as she looked around for the medical tents where the officers were being cared for.

A doctor with blood splatter of his apron had her stopping in her tracks but she would not faint like some silly girl. No, Eleanor would see Alexander as she stopped a boy in a soldier’s uniform and asked if Lieutenant Gage was around. He pointed her to one of the white canvas tents and said, “He should be over there, Miss.” Eleanor said a quick word of thanks as she pressed on.

She was not even thinking of the possibility of Tomas being there at the camp as well. Eleanor’s focus was finding her fiancé. Her eyes glanced at the other men who were in the tents as she was walking down the rows of hospital tents. Women, Physicians and Soldiers going about with supplies. The groans of wounded men and the smell of blood and feces in the air. It was revolting.

And yet, she came to one tent and knew immediately that it was the tent of her beloved. There was no Romance to this moment as she slowly walked in. He was laying down, sweat at his brow and his shoulder having been bandaged haphazardly. The blood seeping through. There would be need of the bandage to be changed and cleaned.

She had heard that alcohol would do well to clean festering wounds. It seemed that she would be the one who would need to do it. In the basket had been food, a bottle of rum and bandages that the servant had packed for her. It seemed that she would have to work as she said softly, “Alexander?”

She hear him repeating her hand over and over… was he dying and perhaps saying her name like a prayer? “Alexander… I am here.” She said as she was at his side and placing the basket on the ground.

He had touching his arm as she said, “I am here.” She repeated as she smiled willing him to open his eyes before she knew that there would be work to be done. Lord, she had not thought that war was truly this horrible. Then, there had always been this romanticised version, the heroes and the villains.

However, they was no heroes and villains in this… simply men, and some boys who screamed and cried in pain. There was the foul scents around her as well. Eleanor only knew that she had to help her soldier… her heart filled with guilt for she could be given some blame with her work in intelligence. Was it too late to back away now?

“Alexander… my dear… are you in pain?” She whispered to him.

Tomas moved through the tents observed, but ignored. Only the doctors and their helpers were wanted here, he was just another soldier standing about as he stood beside the tent. Kneeling he inspected his gun as he leaned back, straining his ear to listen. Hoping just a little that he might hear something worthy, otherwise he kept the bile of jealousy down as it scratched at his throat. Thinking of her near Gage, touching him, it made his skin crawl and he focused on the gun to keep from standing up and placing his knife between the ribs of Alexander Gage.

Smiling as he cleaned the gun thought that would be a fitting end, a knife, some blood, and then she would be his.

---

The ache in his shoulder made his rest uneasy, it was warm in the tent and the cot was too small making it hard to be comfortable. War was always something he had played at as a boy, the battlefield on the hill was something he would not soon forget. The scar on his shoulder would be a long memory, and as he groaned with the pain he heard a voice. Something calling his name. No, not something, someone. Not that he felt as if he was dying, though it was certainly painful enough, he had always thought death would be a comfort. Now Alexander knew why, a blessed release from the pain would be welcome.

A loud groan and a cough as he slowly opened his eyes. The old taste of rum and cotton was in his mouth. The dim light of the tent hurt for a moment as he looked up at her. "An angel," he croaked as he closed his eyes and reopened them. Coughing to get the dryness from his throat and mouth.

Opening them again he looked up at her and smiled, "Eleanor?" It took a moment, and another stab of pain as he moved his left hand. Wanting to reach up and touch her the shoulder was a knife of pain that made him still. "Dearest, how did you get here?" Turning for a moment was embarrassed, for her to see him thus, weak and injured. It was not how he wanted her to see him, it was not gentlemanly or gallant.

His eyes drank in her beauty, in the tent, with the smells of death and the surgery around them. The right arm worked and he reached up to cup her cheek, feeling the warmth and softness there. Smiling he felt better, but as he moved and the pain came again knew he was not healed. "Much as I do not wish you to see me like this, I am glad you came."

“No… not an angel.” Eleanor had a look of concern for Alexander as she was by his cot that he was laying on. Sinking down, she took his hand into her own as gently as she could. Her skirts around her as she said, “Well, I heard of your condition from two officers.” She said softly. “And I knew that I must come immediately to see you.” Her voice was only a whisper as she was watching him with eyes filled with worry. “Please… do not trouble yourself…” She was not trying to be sympathetic but she could not imagine what he had gone through to be here.

“As soon as I was told, I knew that I must come immediately to see you.” Mostly because she had been afraid that he would perhaps pass on but he seemed to be in good spirits despite being in pain. She supposed that she had been sheltered from the fighting that was going on. Apart of her wishing that she knew from what she had seen but having come to the camp after the battle. Certainly, her eyes had been opened to the impact.

Eleanor did not think less of him because he was injured, in truth… she was impressed with how he had fought so bravely for something that he believed in. True, it was not her own belief system. He would have been perfect if he was a Loyalist like herself. Eleanor moved her head a little more into his hand, it was roughened by either the battle and most likely from working for years. “I was so worried when I heard that you had been injured. It is a relief to see that you are awake.” Her voice quivered a little with distress.

“I rode to the camp and then walked the rest of the way… I brought some food and a few other things.” She said in a low voice. “I didn’t know what to bring…” Not that she really wanted to eat with the scent of blood and feces in the air. However, she did not mention that.

“What… what happened, Alexander?” She whispered as her hand was on his. She did have some water if he was in need of it. Of course, she did not know what he was going through and just how much pain he was in. She could only hope that she was a comfort to him in that moment.

“And you know that I would have come to see you if you wanted me or not… I simply had to see you. I had to know that you are well.” She said with a nod. “And I see that you are not completely but, you are alive.” She said softly but there was still a risk that he could get a fever. It was the last thing that she wanted for him since that would surely be the end.

Alexander felt touched at her concern, her love for him. For a moment he felt a fool, to stand before the infamous British line, he felt lucky to be alive. The line that had smashed armies across Europe, he had stood before it and came away with only a hole in his shoulder, unlike others who had not been able to get away. Or had lost limbs, lives, brothers. A bullet was in impartial killer, that he knew now all too well. To have made her concerned, or to cry, that was not what he wanted. Alexander was a romantic at heart, truth be told. He believed in the words and honor of a gentleman. The romance of war and battle, though it had changed since the days of knights and jousts, the stories had always intrigued him as something that would never happen to him. The reality of it hit him as he saw that slight touch of fear in Eleanor's eyes, that she might have lost him.

Looking around the tent, awake now as if for the first time, saw that there was a side that contained horrors that had not made the pages of his books. The smells were the worst part and he could not help but wrinkle his nose at them all, the scent of fresh blood and shit permeated the air along with a sweet scent of decay. What was worse was that he had subjected Eleanor to it all. That she felt the need to come and see him amidst all this, at his weakest, and within her eyes saw a strength that he honestly did not feel at the moment. It inspired him though. He would see himself through this, and win her hand still. His mind turning towards their engagement, and what church they would need to announce their intentions at, perhaps all to be sure.

With a lighter heart he took her hand in his own and brought it to his lips, feeling her soft skin. Smelling the freshness of her, where there was no taint of war or gunpowder, only the scent of woman. "Thank you my love, to think you braved all this for me." If the pain had not taken them all by now, he would have a tear for her. "Anything you have brought is appreciated, but to see you, that is the only balm that I could ask for now. I am sorry to have made you worry, I thought only of fighting for the cause, no its repercussions. For being a soldier, and a fool, I apologize." Pressing his lips to her hand again closed his eyes a moment as his eyes seemed to darken.

"Gage? You're awake?" The darkness shifted to shadow and then to a surgeon who looked cursory at the blood soaked bandage. "Not that much fresh blood, good." The man pushed the spectacles back up the beakish nose, the pinched face took him in a quick glance. "Well since you are awake," a quick touch to his forehead from the dark stained hands left a mark he did not see, "no fever yet, good. Awake is good, and better for us, we need the bed. More are coming, some worse than you. If you can stand you can go to your own tent, just make sure there is no pus or scent coming from it and you change the dressing. Come back and see me in a day or two to make sure its healing ok." The surgeon gestured at his shoulder and helped him up.

The pain ran through his arm like lightning and he almost fell, his head felt light for a moment. He swayed ready to fall until a hand caught him, "got you sir." The voice was familiar somehow, the face too, but Alexander only had eyes for Eleanor. "I'll make sure he gets to his tent, sir," the soldier told the surgeon.

"I know you?" It was all he could say as the tent slowly stopped spinning. The bile that built in his throat stayed down mercifully so he would not embarrass himself, he did not want to look weaker in front of Eleanor.

"I'm in your regiment sir," Tomas said. Giving Eleanor and Alexander a small smile, Alexander would have seen the slyness in it. "Tomas Dooley sir, now let's get you back to your tent, I'm sure your pretty wife will have you fixed up in no time."

He was a bit of a fool for going into battle, at least… it was her feeling since she was so utterly frightened that he had passed. That is when she knew that she actually loved him and it was not some delusion in her mind to build up the drama and tension of her life. “Perhaps a fool, but I truly love you… fool and all.” She said softly as she squeezed his hand, her heart beating as she was looking into those eyes. She wanted to kiss him but she remembered where she was… the smell of blood and death not exactly a place of romance. War was truly hell and she had not seen it but the aftermath did not leave her wanting to know more.

Standing there by Alexander’s side, she felt like his wife at that exact moment. It felt like it was her duty to nurse him back to health as she listened to the surgeon and nodded a few times. She understood what she needed to do… and she also had a feeling that she might have to stay with him. Her mother would faint at the thought that Eleanor would be out here… and if she were to stay overnight.

“I can help you up to, Alexander.” She said as she was trying to catch him but it was at that moment when someone did. Eleanor looked up and her blood went cold… it was that smug look. She was trying not to show the look of distain on her face as Alexander was trying to find out who exactly Thomas Dooley was.

What was Thomas trying to do being here and in Alexander’s regiment? Was he trying to kill her fiancé? Well, never the less… she had to act as she would normally. “Thank you, Mr. Dooley.” She said to him as he was helping Alexander up and towards his tent. “I think that I can take it from here and escort my husband to his tent.” Yes, they were not married… yet but she was going to pretend like they were and certainly not correct Thomas.

Her feelings were of rage towards Thomas but she knew that she could not and would not show that. Although, Thomas had to see the restrain on her features as she had her basket of things on her arm and was walking along with Alexander as he was being helped by his comrade… or rather a spy.

Two spies if you thought about it.

The soldier helped him along as did Eleanor, though the pain in his shoulder cracked through him with each footstep it was a comfort to have Eleanor next to him. The camp was a wide swatch around the Charles River facing Boston, how he got back he did not know, but at least his regiment was not far, and in a few moments he was outside his tent. Nodding a thanks to the soldier he clung to the tent flap and walked slowly inside, trying hard not to lean too much on Eleanor and show her any weakness. His stomach was a roil with the pain and aches, his body felt as if it would fall at any moment.

As he sat on the edge of his bunk he smiled up at Eleanor, it was as if the sun had rested in his heart, he felt light, touched almost. "Wife?" The word came out with as much love as he had for her, though a little surprised. "I know I was out a little, but I think I would remember the most special day of my life."

Slowly he breathed in as he leaned back on the cot, the pain hissing through his teeth. Reaching up a hand he touched her cheek, realizing that they were truly alone in the tent, Masters and Hammond both out, "though wife or no, I definitely have the most beautiful nurse a soldier could want." The curve of her cheek filled the cup of his hand perfectly, the dark eyes and lashes looked down at him with some slight concern.

"I apologize for making you worry, I should have known I would be a target after I spent all that time telling my regiment to aim for their officers. I just never thought I was that important," he chuckled and hissed as the pain ran through him. The burning in his shoulder had lessened a little as he lay down, smiling he looked up at her, trying not to seem as fragile as he felt.

"A kiss might make me feel better," something that Masters might say. Something pushed him to say it, whether the thought he had little time, or the closeness, either way he wanted Eleanor close and never wanted to let her go.

Back
Top Bottom