Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Soldier and the Spy (AnjelRocker and I)

Truly, she wanted to be in these arms forever because there was a war waging in herself on which direction that she was going to be taking. Lord knew that she was on the opposite side of him but… her lust was something that was growing within her. She would need to step away because it was going to consume her. And although, she was not quite as religious as his family was perhaps… she was a woman of virtue. “Yes, I think it is best if we part for now.” She said softly as she gently pulled away from his embrace. Regrettably but she knew that she had to. “My parents will be wondering what we are up to and my sisters are probably quite aware and will be teasing me mercilessly this evening.”
She did laugh at that since it was nothing but the truth that both her younger sisters, Fannie and Betsy would be horrible to her about what went on in the courtyard but she knew that they would not mention it to mother. Else, they would be in a rather terrible position of Eleanor never helping them with their dresses again.

“As for your sister, I suppose that we will not only have myself but my younger sisters as well to become good friends with.” She said with a smile because… the idea of making a good impression was something that was important to her. Even with the inner turmoil that was inside of her mind that that very moment as she stood before him. She did maintain her distance because as much as she wanted to throw herself into his arms once again. “Perhaps, we ought to go back inside so that you can make your farewells and then, you can go visit your family as well.” She did wonder how often he visited his family.

Well, it must have been recently with all the wonderful gifts that he had given to her family and herself. Yes, he was certainly smitten with her. What she did not know was that there was another man who was equally smitten with her watching their exchange. A man who she did not care for because of his intensity and forwardness with his feelings for her. As if he were entitled to her because he was a man who was interested.

In fact, she was not thinking of Tomas because she preferred not to. His family and her family had been friends being that they were neighbours and so, her family had hosted them and it was the same that his family had hosted them. She had been acquaintances with his sister but the family like many had fled to Boston because they were Loyalists. It was the truth that her family were Loyalist sympathizes but her father was determined to be neutral with their political standing in this battle of wills.
Her father was even having some promise in using his education and background to having some footing in their finances since he was now tutoring for some of the people in Cambridge as well as he was hoping to make a business of some sort with the local militia. Not that her father really had an idea of business but they were going to figure something out as a family.

Smiling as he thought of all the girls together, especially of what he knew of Fannie and Betsy already. "I am sure Agatha will be most pleased to have so many new sisters," catching on the word as he said it. "Well, uhm, friends like sisters, who are sisters." A blush crept up his neck as he spoke, then taking a deep breath, "yes, perhaps we should go back in before I cause you undue pain and teasing with your sisters." A quick glance up showed peering faces in a window that quickly ducked out of sight.

Alexander offered her his arm, the blush still up his neck as she wrapped her arm around his. His thoughts and plans were too close in mind he thought, he may have to calm himself, courting was still new to him and he did not have such practice as Hammond. Still, when he had thought marriage it was only with the girls that his mother had brought over to the house, the daughters of other families in town. Some dour girls who were more conservative in dress and style like his mother, not like the girls that they often saw when visiting relatives in Concord. Fancy dress balls and parties, it seemed more of a dream to him, and a life he would not be a part of. Some girls he had seen in those parties were attractive, much as he found Eleanor now. Only now he realized how shallow he had been. Not every box that had a pretty ribbon, or lace, around it had something worthwhile inside.

A beaming smile on his face as he led her back inside the house, "I'm sorry my visit has to be so short, but since we move out of camp tomorrow towards Dorchester I should talk to my parents before I go. Let them know to try and make plans, my mother may send a message in my absence if that is acceptable." Opening the door for her as they returned to the house, "I do hope our families get along as well as we do Eleanor. I do not think I could bear parting from you," he paused a moment, "it will be hard enough to return to duty. At least with your favor," patting his pocket with the kerchief, "I will keep you close to mind, and in my heart."

With her arm on his, she looked up at where her sisters had been watching and knew that she would be getting teased that evening but they would not dare tell their mother because then they would simply be the ones who would be punished in a sense as well. "Oh, do not worry about Fannie and Betsy. They will tease but they will know when it is best to be quiet." She shrugged her shoulder a little as she laughed a little. Her thoughts were not on the inner turmoil that would hit her later in the evening. After all, her parents would ask her about this young man and if she was quite serious around this. She was but then... she had played with a few men's hearts in the past. This was a little different. She was quite sure about that.

"It is really not so much trouble as you think... I am only happy that you made your time to come and visit me and my family. I can only hope that my token of affection will serve as a pleasant reminder that I am here awaiting your return." She gave him another quick peck on the cheek... much more chaste then the kisses they had exchanged in the courtyard. "I do look forward to exchanging messages with your mother. Well, I think my own mother will perhaps take a bit of charge." She mentioned to him with a pleasant tone to her voice.

Coming to the front entrance of her home, the part where she had once tried to fight her way through the crowd before her had taken charge and helped her father. Who had come to the door to see their guest off along with her mother who was smiling. "It is so nice to have gentleman like yourself Lieutenant Gage." Her mother said as they were bidding him farewell. Her father offering his hand to shake and Alexander taking her hand to kiss it farewell as she could feel her cheeks reddening.

Curse it all... but she liked this gentleman.

"It was very nice to meet you Mister Caldwell," he took the offered hand and shook politely, returning the smile. A kiss to her mother's hand, "and a delight Mrs Caldwell, your humble servant if you have need."

Seeing the heads pop up in the hallway above he bowed deeply to Fannie and Betsy, then with a slight bow and smile to Eleanor he reluctantly took his leave. His head was in the clouds thinking of her, it was as if he was drunk just by her very presence. Letting his feet find their way home wanted to make plans with his parents as soon as he could, knowing they would either be excited or upset at his sudden interest in someone who they had not met. As far as he knew, though father had many connections in town and was often about doing business, Caldwell was not a name he had ever heard his father mention. Thinking he had caught sight of a familiar face in the crowd as he turned the corner Alexander stopped and looked about, the feeling of eyes in the back of his neck dampened the excitement from Eleanor slightly until he spotted no one in the crowd and returned home.

Mother sat thoughtful, though Agatha seemed more enthused with the news of Fannie and Betsy, the expression on his mothers face went from surprise to thought to something that looked to him more of relief. Coming up to give him a kiss on the cheek and congratulating him told him to see his father in the warehouse next door, asking where the address was so she could send a proper letter of introduction and invite them. Wondering if perhaps mother would invite them over beforehand to privately meet with Eleanor, asking Agatha to attend if so she nodded happily as he walked through their yard to the warehouse on the adjoining street.

It was large, and mostly storage for the various items his father did not like to deal with in the dock warehouse further down the river. During the afternoon he could be found amid the boxes and crates counting and checking, and inside the dim light found his father who merely grunted at his news. Asking only the family name, where they lived, and if she was pretty enough for him before turning away to deal with a bill of lading for a newly arrived wagon.

A sense of relief came over him as he walked back to the camp, tomorrow he would be marching his way to Dorchester, but for now he was on clouds as he reentered the tent where Masters was sitting at the desk writing letters. A quick look up at Alexander and Masters gave him a noncommittal grunt as he changed into uniform and lay back on his cot, the kerchief in his hand. The material soft and reminiscent of her skin, thinking only of the touch of her, the lightness inside as he stood near her. As his eyes focused on the wet spot at the corner he smiled, thinking of how that charm would lead him back to her, he could never cause her tears nor see her cry. That he promised himself, as he lay back and lost himself in reverie of future plans of marriage and a life together.

The own feeling in her household was one of excitement, of course... her mother would have preferred if her oldest daughter was interested in a man of higher standing but there was only so much that they could expect. They were of a neutral mind in her household and her father was going to keep it that way. He was quite happy because he thought that once the war was over and everything was settled perhaps in a more gentlemanly manner then the family would have one daughter married off... if that two in the next few years. Arthur could also find a wife perhaps soon... or their own brother in far off India.

Meeting another family was pretty much the hope that the man would marry your daughter and so, her father sat her down only to get her mentality on this arrangement because he wanted his daughter to be at the forefront happy with this life decision. "I only ask because your mother married me for love and well, marriage is not easy on a couple... we were blessed with many children but as you know. We never did have wealth and... he might because he is a son of a merchant. I have heard of the business before... no dealings and so, at least money will not be an issue but... this is your decision and only yours. He looked at his oldest daughter with a smile as Eleanor sighed. "I do like Lieutenant Gage... we are both fond of one another. I think it is also because he shows mercy on the weak like he did during our time of need." She mentioned and she wondered if he would be so kind if he knew that she was taking the information that she was receiving and sending it off to the British...

Perhaps not.

Her mother gave her a bit of an embarrassing talk that she knew would be repeated in greater detail in the future. Not something that she wanted to go personally... she did not a bit too much. Having once found her older brother's copy of Fanny Hill and reading it... it was filth but she had been too curious about the book. Her sisters teased her for an hour that evening as they were in the rooms, writing letters and working on their needlepoint for the rather boring evening.

She knew that it would probably be some time before she would see Alexander since he was gone to Dorchester but in a few days, they would receive a letter from his mother addressed to her and her family.

Alexander still thought about Eleanor while moving with his men across the Charles, and down the shore towards Dorchester. It irked him that they lost more men in the move, some had disappeared while he was gone, and two men had crept away during the march, the callous attitude men had to their elistment was disturbing to him. They had gone out in the water as the British sent boats to the islands in the harbor, it was his first time in battle and watching the men fire gave him a thrill, and a new appreciation for war. The bodies ripped apart by bullets was disturbing, the screams of the injured and the blood that seeped out was something he had not considered. The rolling clouds of powder covered the battlefield, the smell of sulphur assaulted his nose and soaked into his jacket the first day. Alexander had made the first day through without incident, spending his night on his cot in celebration with Masters, Hammond and the other junior officers. Spending time now and again touching the pocket that held Eleanor's kerchief, it was his good luck charm and as he brought his men into battle he spent some time thinking of her and that bright, sweet smile.

Taking the boats as they crossed the harbor again, setting the barn on Grape Island ablaze, unable to take all the hay and fodder stored there, he felt the exhilaration of command. The Continental Army had traversed from island to island removing anything of use to the British in Boston. The schooner Diana ran aground, and his men provided support to those who looted the remains of the ship, until the British set fire to her. They returned with useful material and more cannon, which they sorely lacked. As they returned back to the camp in Cambridge the city was excited about the successes in the harbor, the men elated and they had a very fine dinner and celebration in camp afterwards.

Returning home after the Continental's initial success, mother and Agatha greeted him with news that mother had sent a message inviting the Caldwell's to dinner the following night. She had thought that Alexander would miss it due to the army but mother wanted to meet them as soon as possible, and see who had captured his heart. Father was busy fulfilling orders for the militia, and the officers who were looking for comforts of home, some running short on supplies so there was not much time to speak about the dinner. Father gave a hand wave that mother would handle all the necessaries. Agatha was more excited to meet other girls her age, many had been sent from town to visit relatives in distant towns, the mothers of Cambridge worried about the virtues of their daughters near so many officers and men in the militia.

An excited night spent dreaming of the families meeting, and of seeing Eleanor again, Alexander barely slept and left to change at home before dinner time. Sending the carriage in time to Eleanor's home, unsure if he should have gone as well to greet them, thought father had him busy clerking in the warehouse for the militia, the idea being that Alexander was already serving in one capacity and another would not hurt. His mind thinking of other things he rushed through the job, though diligent as always in assuring the paperwork was correct found the miscounted hogsheads of beef that would have brought a stir in the kitchens. Staying to watch the supplies loaded to the wagons Alexander kept needling his father to return home so that they could change and meet the Caldwell's, father noted any man of worth would understand the demands of business, but relented at last.

Alexander kept looking through the front windows, stopping at a raised eyebrow and giggle from Agatha who sat demurely working on a needlepoint while the sounds of dishes and cups echoed from the dining room. Their house was good sized, a dining room off the main parlor that sat near the front of the house, they had been well off but never extravagant. Each hoof on cobblestones, or squeak of a wheel, brought Alexander to the window like an expectant schoolboy. The home filled with the full scents of roasting beef, fried fish, potatoes, onions, bacon, garlic, and a quite a few spices that made him salivate in impatience. Running back and forth to disappointment at the front window he was finally rewarded, his heart leaping at seeing Eleanor. Dressed in his best suit coat, with the kerchief in its place he ran to the door and opened it wide beaming as the carriage stopped. Leaping down the steps to open the door before the coachman could still the horses, his heart beat heavily as it then lept for joy.

The broad smile on his face, and in his best manner he bowed low to them, Agatha standing demurely in the doorway with excitement of her own. Catching his breath as he looked up at them, he felt the flush on his neck, the excitement of the past few days forgotten in her presence. His eyes rested on Eleanor, as he held out his arm to help the ladies down, his voice trilling in excitement, "welcome!"

Her own time away from Alexander had been much more uneventful. Most of the days had been busy work around the house with mother and her two sisters. As for her father, there had finally been some good news since he had a steady bit of employment for the family. It had been a bit of a godsend since he was a man of letters and he was of neutral mind… most employment was with the military units but there was a shortage of educators for the young men and so, he had position at school for boys in Cambridge who were too young to be fighting. It was something and that was what the Caldwell family needed in their lives was an income. Of course, there was still work to be done in the house for getting extra income but the family was a little more respectable.

Eleanor had also been in contact with Alexander’s mother. Mrs. Gage. She had naturally been quite polite in her correspondence with the woman. Even having Fannie and Betsy reading over the letters for any mistakes. And there had been an invitation to have dinner with their family… naturally, she was nervous but she set to making her gowns a little more presentable for the evening that would come sooner than she thought. Of course, she did not know that Alex would be there since she had not heard but him but it was because he had been busy with his military operations…

The ones that she had sold to the British… it was a little more coin to her family and it was helping her homeland. There was a bit of guilt because she did really like Alexander and going to visit his family… well, perhaps she ought to quit while she was ahead and yet, she could not. He was the source of her information. He was also not very careful with his information. The man trusted her…

Perhaps, he was a fool to trust her with such information but then… he was a fool who had simply fallen head over heels in love with her.

Yes, Eleanor felt terrible.

When the time came, a carriage had been sent to pick up her family as Father, Mother… Fannie and Betsy as well as Eleanor piled in the carriage. Betsy being excited since she never got to go anywhere and seemed to always have to stay home with Aunt Susan who had been off visiting a friend that evening. “And he has a younger sister…” Fannie said as Betsy chimed in. “How delightful… she will be like a sister to us if Eleanor marries Lieutenant Gage…” She giggled as mother moved her fan and said, “Girls… do calm yourself… we will all get there in due time.” She mentioned but her mother was also happy to be going to meet this family.

The carriage bumped and rocked along with the family in it… it was a little tight from four ladies with petticoats and all along with her father as the coachman finally came to a stop and Eleanor looked out the window to see that Alexander was there. Her heart leapt… oh, that was something that she had not expected as her father was the first one out and then her mother, it then went Fannie and Betsy before Eleanor was the last one out of the carriage. There was a few coins for the coachman as Eleanor smiled brilliantly at Alexander. She was dressed in a gown that he had not seen before but it was her blue gown with pink ribbons and bows on it. She had done the sewing to freshen it up since it have been a little plainer before she was done with it. Curtsying to him, she said in a low voice. “I have missed you, Alex.” No one could hear that bit as she looked to the front door where there was a young teenaged girl standing. His sister as she said, “Shall we?” Her family going to the door as Fannie an Betsy were smiling at the girl who had to be the same age.

Alexander helped the ladies down, giving Mrs Caldwell a leg and a dutiful "your servant, ma'am," as his eyes went to Eleanor. When her hand slipped into his illumination came to his face, and he felt whole again. The gown of blue and pink flowed with the slight rustle of petticoats, as she stepped down he could not hide his pleasure of seeing her again. The handkerchief, secreted in his sleeve, had been a wonderful reminder of her during their days apart but nothing could replace her. "I have missed you as well, Eleanor. I am most pleased to see you," he returned her greeting quickly as he nodded and bowed to her father, keeping Eleanor's hand in his as they walked down the short path to the entry.

Hia hand waved up the stairs in greeting, "welcome to our home," he stopped a moment unsure of what transpired during his absence, "you haven't been here yet, have you?"

Agatha giggled slightly and curtsied to them as she stepped up behind him, a playful hand on his shoulder. "No silly, they had just been invited to see mama and papa." Agatha stepped out of the doorway, "please excuse my brother, he is a bit addled these days." Agatha teased him, her eyes drifting between Alexander and Eleanor as she greeted the Caldwell's then showing them inside the house, waiting until Alexander and Eleanor had come in the door. Agatha's soft voice sounded behind him, loud enough for him and maybe Eleanor to hear as the door closed. "She is very pretty."

From the main hallway that ran the middle of the house he turned them into the small parlor, the house was large enough to accommodate them all, but more simply furnished than the Caldwell's had been. It was a standard colonial with middle hallway and stairs to rooms that were laid out in the four corners of the house, plain decorations yet comfortable. The parlor was large, with a sitting couch, chairs, and table that was already laid out with small plates of sweet tarts and minced pies. The walls held paintings of his ancestors, somber and contemplative portraits in muted colors, while his father was well off and successful they were not into ostentation. Mother's more Puritan upbringing keeping decoration in the house to a minimum, they did want to show visitors that they were prosperous, but not display wealth. Their trading house did well, not as well as the Hancock's but it kept their property and house in good repair, Alexander had never known want as others and for that had always felt satisfied at his father's acumen.

"Welcome," his father's deeper voice came as the doors to the dining room opened across the hall, his father's stride bringing him in the room with a few steps. The thick head of dark hair gave father another inch or two of height, being a tall and thin man, the quick eyes looked over each of the Caldwells, calculating worth with the eys of a merchant, the eyes were bright in welcoming. "How very nice to meet you," a sturdy handshake as Alexander introduced Mr Caldwell, and a polite leg and boy to Mrs Caldwell, Eleanor as well as Fanny and Betsy.

Agatha seemed anxious to pull the two younger sisters away into the study off the parlor, the fire in the room keeping the house warm but not hot. May was warm but the nights still had the touch of Spring cool. Father poured out a claret for them and bade all to sit. "Please," he gestured towards the seats as Agatha took the younger girls to another room, their figures disappearing in a slight cloud of giggles and secretive whispers. "My wife is seeing to the kitchen and will be out momentarily," an eye glanced at Eleanor and the discrete nod to Alexander caused his heart to stop pounding. Only realizing now that he had been waiting for father's approval, the fear that his parents would reject his suit towards Eleanor had been an uncertain fear that now seemed laid to rest.

"Thank you for coming, I am glad that Alexander was able to return to us in time," father sat back in the sturdy chair, sipping the sweet wine an ease of a merchant preparing to barter.

She did not quite feel so nervous until this very moment as she was out of the carriage and going towards his family's home with her own family. Lord, this was a serious thing to bring the families together like this. To meet one another was on the point towards matrimony and she felt like perhaps, she was doing the wrong thing with bringing his whole family into her life for the chance for military secrets. She was going to break his heart one day... unless, he never knew. What if one of her pieces of information got him killed.

The inner turmoil did not show on her features as she walked up the stairs along with her family and Alexander. His younger sister was by the door with an anxious smile on her face. She looked like a lovely young woman... probably about the same age as her sisters as she glanced at Betsy and Fanny who were smiling as well as they entered the house. The interior was a little plainer than her own home even with the damage with the riot a few weeks before. “No, your sister is right... it was only a few days when your mother offered the invitation. I did not know you would be back.” She was glad that he was back, very glad actually because she wanted to see him.

Her parents were the first into the entry as her mother said, “Oh, what a lovely home...” Eleanor did hope she was being sincere with that as her father did not say anything at first as everyone was getting settled into the large colonial home. Simple perhaps, but Eleanor liked that it was not cluttered like some home could be with silly knick knacks of china shepherdesses and the like. She was still beside Alexander as she went into the parlour. Along with her sisters who were chatting with his sister, Agatha with glee. Of course, Betsy and Fannie were all giggles as young girls were together. Their mother trying to settle her two daughters, “Elizabeth, Frances... do mind your manners...” She said as she smiled at Agatha.

All eyes went towards the dining room when there was the booming voice of a man, Eleanor's eyes looked to see his father... or she assumed was his father, the feeling of nervousness again since she wanted to make a good impression and of course, she hoped that her family was doing the same. Her father who was a bit shorter and more stock than his father stepped forward and offered his hand to the other man to shake in greeting. There was a dowry for each of his daughters but not quite as much as other young ladies.

She glanced to see that Agatha was motioning to the other room for her younger sisters to join her. Which made sense since this was a meeting of families and the younger sisters could become friends. She would like to get to know his younger sister as well if they were to proceed this relationship. Her mother and father sat on one of the sofas as she took a seat beside Alexander. Of course, she had not noticed the nod that had been exchanged between father and son about her approval. And so, she was still on edge even if she was doing a remarkable job of hiding her nervousness of the moment.

Her father spoke, “Thank you for inviting my family to your very fine home, indeed.” He said as her mother nodded. “Tis a very fine home that you have.” Wine was poured for the family as her father indulged but her mother only had the smallest of sips and Eleanor was following suit as her hand was in one of Alexander's gloved naturally as they waited for his mother to enter. Her mother reaching for a sweet tart that was on the table to enjoy.

“Your son is the officer prevented a mob of people from taking me away since they suspected me of being aligned with the British.” Her father said finally. “And for that, I am grateful.” He said seriously as he nodded to Alexander.

James sat and listened to Mr Caldwell speak about Alexander and how he had saved the family from one of the Liberty mobs that still flared in the colony. He had taken pains to keep as much out of politics as he could, without being targeted himself, but with the various customs and tariffs imposed over the years it had been harder for the merchants to make money all of it culminating with the current guarding of the harbor. Alexander was youthful and exuberant but as he glanced at Eleanor he had to admire his son's appreciation of beauty. Sipping his claret spoke with the Caldwell's kept the conversation flowing while waiting for Anna to come from the kitchen, as if on command she glided into the room.

Anna's skirts rustled as she came to sit with them, James stood and took a glass of Claret for his wife, though she drank sparingly she did drink some for social occasions. "Dinner will be ready soon," Anna's eyes surveyed the family as she sipped and James could tell by her shoulders that she was at ease. A good sign for Alexander, though Anna had tried for years to introduce their son to one girl or another his interests always seemed to lay somewhere else. Never expecting Alexander to find his own interest and bring her home.

"I am glad Alexander was able to return in time to have dinner with us," Anna nodded to Alexander.

"Did you know our son ran to the family's rescue, my dear?" James noted that Alexander sat uncomfortably close to Eleanor and his eyes never seemed to leave her. Smiling at the thought of young love, hid his amusement in his glass.

A surprised look on Anna's face, "Alexander Gage, you never spoke of that!" A slight blush on Alexander's neck crept up as Anna surrepitiously questioned them on their church and neighbors, trying to find any commonalities that he was sure Anna would follow up on later to see if the family was suitable. Anna dutifully avoided politics, though her tongue was vibrant enough when they were alone, she was lady enough to avoid such discourse in society.

They seemed to be of means, which was enough for James, as some of the pies disappeared, especially when the younger girls came back and joined the general conversation of the room, that warmed with them all. Only when the maid came in from the dining room did they all get up and move to the table, seating the father's at either end, with wives on the men's right and the children gathered between. Alexander played the gentleman, James noticed, pulling out chairs for Eleanor and the girls, even his sister to her surprise. Somehow Alexander had moved the girls so he and Eleanor were seated together, a hand under the table as his son sat, knowing where it was potentially moving James cleared his throat.

After a slight prayer he raised his head, "please, let us eat."

Standing on the bow of the ship, Arthur Caldwell was on watch that evening. His eyes scanning the darkness of the harbour for any oncoming attacks from the Rebels. Men that called themselves, Patriots… it was perhaps a bit laughable to him. Some of these men had been his neighbours… His own family was still in Cambridge and it was perhaps curious to him. His father had never been a man of conflict but he knew that Eleanor had a strong opinion as he had about this so called Revolution. Recently, he had been receiving letters from Eleanor in their own language that they had used as children and he had been working with intelligence to get information about the Rebels movements. Some of the information had been accurate and his younger sister was proving to be a valuable spy.

There was naturally inner conflict from this admission that Eleanor had become a spy… how she was getting this information. Well, he did not know but she had an effective way of giving the message to one of his contracts. The messages would be put into a loose brick in an alley and then, one of their men would pick up the messages from the hidden location. It simply looked as if his sister was out window shopping but was passing on notes to the ring of spies that he had set up under the command of General Howe.

And now, he knew that there was going to be a familiar face that he was recruiting for spy missions… a former neighbour of his family’s as he was waiting for him to row out to the ship so that he could recruit and then send him out on one of his first tasks.

---

As for the up and coming spy, she was sitting in the dining room of her potential in laws. Her nerves had calmed down as her chair had been pulled out and she had sat down gracefully as she could. Her father pulled a chair out for her mother and Alexander’s father doing the same for his mother… and she felt her heart flutter because he had done the same for her. Honestly, she thought that he was truly a good man.

Once they were seated, she felt a gentle brush of his hand on her thigh but then, Alexander’s father cleared his throat and Alexander’s hand was not on top of her skirts. A few words of praise for God and their thanks for the meal was said by everyone at the table. Her family’s Anglican sentiments mixed with his own family’s religion under the umbrella of Christians.

The three girls talking merrily amongst themselves as her father was talking to his father about common ground. It was much the same for their mothers as Eleanor was slowing eating her meal before glancing at Alexander for a moment before leaning in for a brief moment. “I hope I am not mistaken when I say that I believe it is going well.”

Tomas had made it into Boston easily enough, the road followed the spit of land that stretched from the shore to the island that was the town of Boston. The road was the only way in or out of the town. A barricade manned by colonials at one end was easy enough to get around, most of the men were lazy, drunk, or both; he barely got wet from walking along the shore as he snuck around the guard late at night. The British patrols were more aware, they took him in as he approached Boston and surrendered, praising the King as he did so. Expecting him to be a spy it was only by giving Arthur's name that he had been able to get out of jail, and was now being rowed by two brawny sailors to the ship where Arthur was stationed.

Its deck bore down on them, the ship creaked rhythmically in the waves of the harbor as it rocked on the tides. The sound of the oars dipping in the water echoed against the bulk of the hull that loomed on their right, within the ship Tomas could hear thunks and thumps of men and cargo. Within the wet, shadow of the ship there was some life. Above them were the sounds of the watchman and the guards on deck sounded loud in the salt air of the harbor. The distant lights of the Boston docks did not reflect this far out, the ships were centered in the middle of the harbor, away from the shoreline and the cannon the colonials had placed on Dorchester heights.

Climbing up the rope ladder to the deck saw Arthur standing there amid the night crew, the men sat around tending to the ship or the marines in uniform kept watch. Tomas broke into a smile offering his hand, Arthur was decorated well in his uniform, it suited him. Colored braid, the rows of shiny buttons, and the hat with its cockade. "A long time, it is good to see you Arthur," Tomas shook his hand then clasped the man. Brother to Eleanor, who Tomas had hoped to wed before she spurned him, Arthur and he had gotten along well enough before. Though he was not sure Arthur knew the interest of Alexander Gage, and while he deeply desired to tell the man thought it best to hold onto that little piece of information.

At least until the time it would be very useful.

---

Alexander gave Eleanor a smile, and an affectionate pat on the hand. "I believe so," Alexander smiled as he looked around the table. The conversations were going well with the others, for a moment it was as if they were in their own little world. Just the two of them, in their own secret space where they could plot and scheme, and as his heart skipped a beat, hoped for more.

"Father seems to get along with your's," he turned his chin slightly to where the mothers were discussing children, church, and Cambridge in a scatter of conversations that seemed more like a tapestry. The threads merging into each other and coming back, forming some sort of pattern known only to the weavers, leaving the rest of them out of the design. "I believe mother is the same, she's usually a bit reticent to talk to others about much. I am not sure I have seen her open up quite this quickly before."

Alexander wasn't sure how to tell Eleanor, though mother and father were rather reserved as old born New Englander's tended to be, the fact that both seemed at ease around the Caldwell's on their first meeting was the best sort of compliment that Alexander could see. That smile and nod his parents gave towards Eleanor when they saw her was more than enough acceptance for him, it meant they could pursue each other. If this fight against Parliament and its unreasonable laws would be over soon, as many said it would be due to the number of times Parliament had already capitulated, then within the next year they could be married and on their own.

Placing his hand tenderly on Eleanor's, feeling the slight bones of her hand and fingers under his thumb, absently tracing them as he held her for a moment. "I do hope this goes as well with your parents," giving her a hopeful smile. Still in awe of both her beauty and bearing Alexander felt right now, with her at his side, he was the luckiest man in the world.

The boat was rowing towards the ship as he was watching it, he was a tall man with dark hair at his mother and the blue eyes of his father. He was the oldest of his five siblings and the one who seemed to have the most sense. Arthur had joined the navy before all of this trouble had started in the colonies. His own home was Cambridge but his devotion was to King and Country. He had been missing home, knowing that his sisters and parents were within miles of him but because of this war, he could not see them. The little boat came to the side of the ship and the men called out to them that a man was there who had come from the Rebels side saying his name.

It was curious as he made the command that a rope ladder was to be drop for them to come up the side of the ship. He had not expected that it was Thomas Dooley. His eyebrows rose as his neighbour. Well, he had once been a neighbour to his family but word was that the Dooleys were in Boston now. “Thomas… it has been awhile.” He had remembered when the man had been trying to court his sister, Eleanor. He had also remembered how Eleanor had certainly not been interested and had found it all a little amusing that their neighbour had been so infatuated with her. He had not thought that it was right for his sister to act in such a way but it has not really been his business.

“Word comes that you were on the Rebels side and you have only now come to this side?” He said with a dull expression on his face, he was a little wary of the man who was switching sides. Yet, there were others but Arthur thought that those man ought not to be trusted. “Do you have word of the men who call themselves Patriots or are you only pretending to come to this side?” There were always spies… and even Thomas being a former neighbour would not save a spy.

---

Eleanor was also surprised that her parents were getting along splendidly with the other two as she looked to the four of them speaking. Her father talking about books, sport and business but not too much into the world of politics but rather philosophies of some men. Her mother was also what seemed to be on her best behaviour as she was speaking about similar interests with Alexander’s mother. It was so truly amazing to see as she glanced at Alexander and squeezed his hand.

She did not know that his parents had approved of her in their own way to their son as he did not know that her own parents had approved of him. Of course, on this front… it was going swimmingly. However, if only he knew where her loyalties lay… would he be so keen to wed her?

Eleanor was quite sure that he would not be as inclined if he knew that she was on the other side. This was a fear of hers as she thought of the notes that she had wrote to her brother in their code. “It is going well with them… they… truly like you.” She admitted. “They think that you are a gentleman as I do.” She whispered as she looked back at their parents before looking back down at the meal. She ate a few more bite delicately as she had been taught to do so in public settings.

She wondered to herself if she had anything to worry about with his own parents. Did they approve of her? Well, that was something that she would find out about in time.

Arthur's voice dripped icily onto him, for a moment it was like a punch in the chest. His breath came short as his face dropped, the idea that his sincerity would not be believed was an affront and he looked wounded for a moment. To tell Arthur why he had joined the Rebels would give away his trump card, for a moment he thought it was lost and he would have to give it up. Yet an idea quickly took shape, Tomas had always been smart, as wily as they came his father used to say. Came from his father's side the man would say proudly as Tomas was able to get past some incident or trouble that usually followed him.

"Actually I joined the Rebel encampment for a few days before leaving," he admitted bashfully, as if it was a small thing. "I didn't want to come here without some idea of their capabilities, with their camp so open and men moving in and out on their own it was simple to join for a few days and then leave. Most of them are untrained, all their talk of liberty and cause seems to be all that rests on their lips. No military discipline and no sense of order, I merely walked out of camp one day, even waving to the guards, and no one stopped. One even wished me a good day."

The way the words came out, as if he was incedulous, and Tomas had been at the time though when he left his thoughts were more bent on removing a certain Alexander Gage from any picture that contained Eleanor. "Getting across to Boston was not that much harder, the guards were either half asleep, drunk, or both." Easing his posture as he looked at Arthur, both about the same height, he looked into the man's eyes that reminded him so much of Eleanor. He'd never lost his passion for her, and with her brother's help Tomas might just win her back. As if they were discussing the latest cricket match, or the price of salt Tomas began recounting what he learned of the Rebel troops, their morale, and a run down on what he knew of their commanders.

---

The rhythm of conversation flowed around them, at times it swept them along as the table eased into slight amusement at a joke that his father thought safe to tell, or some story of Alexander's past. It always annoyed him that on occasion his parent's had some story to tell that could cause slight embarassment to him, as he reached under the table to touch Eleanor's hand he vowed that he would never do that to their children. For a moment he stiffened, his hand over the back of her soft, slim hand. Feeling the weight of it in her hand as the thought passed from his mind, embarrassed that he was already thinking of their children. When he looked over to see Anna grinning at him with her hands showing above the table, her fingers wiggling accusingly at him.

Blushing slightly he hesitantly took his hand away as the dinner was done and the dishes were taken away by the maid. Father still did well enough in trade to make up for the British fees and taxes that were placed on trade, not to mention the impressments of men in some ships, all of it did not affect their life and home too much. They could still afford a maid and some niceties, as the dishes were cleared there was more claret and some cider for younger girls, and his mother who did not like wine that much.

"I'm happy that things are working out well, I do hope that your parents," turning his eyes towards hers held them for a moment. "And of course, that yourself, approve of my attentions to you. I would find myself rather lost without you at this point," he grinned as the maid brought tea and cakes to the front room. The slight sound of wood on wood meant that the harpsichord was being moved into place, "it seems like there will be a musical interlude after dinner. Most appreciated, since I will be able to bask in your presence a bit longer."

It was a time of war and so, even if he had once been a neighbour and friend. How could Arthur trust him? He was watching him for a moment as he stood in front of Thomas. There were eye to eye but one was in a spotless British uniform and the other one looked dirty and ragged. “And how are we to know that you are not a spy of some sort?” He asked curiously as he was looking him up and down. Of course, there were way of getting a man to be loyal…

“You mentioned that the encampment is not guarded well…” He said with a neutral look on his face. “And that it is easy to slip yourself in and out.” A smirk graced his features as he thought of a task that Thomas could do to both show his loyalty and to also to not get too close to the British military. After all, the rebels that they were fighting asking were a hodge podge of idiot farmers, some were children and old men. It was really a laughable cause when they were going about His majesty’s military. He made the orders that Thomas was to be brought to one of the empty cabins and that he would wait for him. After all, Arthur did not want just anyone to listen in to their arrangement.

The two men who had a hold of Thomas grabbed him to bring him to one of the empty cabins below the deck so that Arthur would have a few words. It was another hour and a half when he was able to go and speak to Thomas. Unlocking the door, he entered. Thomas was there with some chains on for good measure. “Sorry about the extra precautions…” He said as he went to a chair and sat on it. “I just don’t want very sailor listening in.”

He was scratching his face for a moment, since it was freshly shaven. Perhaps, he had done a few things before coming here. “Alright, Thomas… you seem to have a knowledge of these rebels. I want you gather information. You will be in contact with a few or the other from our network… and you will bring it back to me.” He said as he thought for a moment. He would have to do something about allowing him in and out with ease. Well. It was not easy but there was a way to go about it.

“And your only objection is to not get killed…” He shrugged as he sat seeing the other man’s reacting…

---

Eleanor was blushing a little when she noted that his mother was being a little obvious in saying that their hand ought to be on the table to at least seen. She was enjoying the pleasant evening as dinner was finished and cleared and there was a bit of dessert with some claret and cider. They were given a few moments to whisper things to each other but within sight of their parents.

“How truly cruel so you think me?” She asked softly when he said that he hoped that she was happy about his attentions. “I do not kiss every gentleman of my acquaintance…” She said with a little furrow in her eyebrows. “Certainly not like that…” She was quite serious as she said this to him. Her hand gently on top of his innocently. “I am quite pleased that I am fortunate enough to be gifted of being in your company… that you truly enjoy my presence as I undoubtedly enjoy yours.” She whispered, a smile gracing her pink lips.

Her eyes went to the harpsichord and she looked a little nervous. She was not the musician of the family. That went to Frances…Betsy was also getting better. As for Eleanor, she could do a few easy songs but nothing of substance. What would Alexander think of her if she was not accomplished in music? Her strengths was with the needle and thread to make her daring and darling dresses. Or making an old dress look brand new again.

Tomas didn't mind the rough handling, he somewhat expected it as someone who had to join the rebel cause, the chains were a bit too much he thought. Arthur's manner was either very practiced, to keep suspicion away from Tomas should he go back, news from rebel spies in the British fleet could lay suspicion on him back at camp. Waiting with the chains on he was glad to have kept the news to himself. Playing his trump card would have availed him nothing.

As Arthur came in Tomas already knew he would do what was asked of him, if it would get him in good graces with Arthur, and remove Alexander Gage then it would be to his benefit. If they wanted him to spy so be it, he was sure there were other sympathizers with the rebels. Sitting as if considering a moment, looking at the chains, feeling the weight of the shackles as the he moved, their light clink echoing with the groans of the wooden ship. Quietly he eyed Arthur as the ship rocked softly in the tide then slowly Tomas nodded.

"Fine," he answered with as much resignation as he could muster. "I'll be your eyes and ears if need be, but I want to choose what company I am in." Holding a hand up to Arthur in a sign of patience, "I'll need to be with a company that is close by, I know just the one." The one with someone in command who he might be able to frame, or cast suspicion on. If it worked out that he could remove Alexander Gage as well, so much the better. Then with Eleanor freed from him, and with Arthur's support, she would be his again.

---

Alexander felt slightly abashed, though that feeling was abated as he watched the furrow on her brow. It was odd how even when she seemed upset, he still found her quite beautiful. As if nothing could mar such perfect features. Sonnets and poems came to mind, but none of them compared to her beauty. Flushing as she felt his hand on his and she admitted to enjoying his attentions.

"I would not be so forward to suggest any such thing," he apologetically lowered his head. As the smile came on her lips he felt as if the sun had come out again, his attention diverted by the giggling of the girls across the table. As he looked at them wondered if it was such a good idea to let them stay together. While he enjoyed being next to Eleanor the three girls were obviously up to something.

Anna stood along with Betsy and Fanny, the three curtsied slightly, "if you will excuse us. We would like to prepare something," Anna looked at all the parents and only gave Alexander a slight smile. The three girls left and very soon amid some murmurs and whispers they could begin to hear the sounds of the harpsichord in the other room.

"Anna is quite accomplished," he noted to Eleanor. "Though I hope she doesn't begin playing her fanciful songs, she likes to make some extemporaneously, sadly you never know what kinds of songs she will make." Being the butt of one too many of Anna's songs, as she called them, Alexander became wary.

Father laughed slightly, the blush of the claret beginning to grow on his father's cheeks. "Ah yes, it has been awhile but I do recall a favorite of hers one summer regarding you and something about a pig." Alexander blushed as he recalled the memory of his time working with his father at the warehouse, chasing a loose piglet through the streets, where he ended up covered in mud and refuse from the streets. Proudly bringing the piglet back in time to see Anna who laughed at how filthy he had become. "Mudboy I believe she called it. Quite a wit with that one," his father laughed jovially as the chords being played at least were familiar.

Turning to Eleanor he leaned close to her, inhaling her scent for a moment as he whispered, "I hope she has the good graces to leave us out of it tonight, she can be a little unpredictable." Pushing his chair back and holding his hand out to Eleanor, "come, let us get a seat further away from her, perhaps that will divert her attention."

Arthur was giving him an odd look, “I hope you do not mind the chains, it is only as a precaution.” He stated simply as he waited for the answer of his request of the man, his neighbour at one time... and the man that he had thought would be a brother in law but it had been clear that his younger sister did not think highly of this man. Whatever her reasons were, he would respect that had been her choice. His father has been indifferent like most things in his life. “I would hope that you pick a company that will be beneficial for the British forces.” He said simply with a neutral look on his face.

“Very well, I will set up a liaison officer from the established spies who are working with the Rebels.” He mentioned to the other man as he stood so that he could pace a few times. “Which company are you planning on joining?” He asked curiously as he stopped and turned to Thomas. “After all, we have a bit of a network and what is the use if we are already receiving information about a certain company.” He mentioned as he thought about his own sister, he did not know the company that she was sending her information about but she was getting valuable information from some sort of source. However, he had not been able to talk to her about her findings.

He had the key to the shackles as he went over to Thomas to unlock him. “Right, I will get you the proper papers if you run into any British soldiers so that you are not taken captive.” He mentioned simply as he unlocked the chains and shackles and they dropped to the ground in a thud. “You will start tonight and get back to the Rebel camp by dawn.” He ordered.

---

Eleanor did not look so upset when he apologized and she gently brushed his hand. “It is quite alright, just remember that I do not fall for just any man who I meet.” She teased him as she glanced back to her family wanting to kiss him. However, she remembered herself. She was flirting with him, that was quite alright but was the other part alright? Was it quite alright to be falling for him as she was when she was also betraying him as well. Her heart hurt a little as she thought of that little problem.

Brushing it from her mind, she smiled before looking at her young sisters... oh good lord, those three were up to something. She knew the look in Fannie's face that always betrayed her. Betsy being the youngest was much better at pleading innocence and was truly her mother's favourite. “Do you think they are up to something?” She whispered to Alexander. “I know that Fannie is... she is easy to read but I am not so sure about Betsy and your sister, Agatha.” She said with a smile.

“Fanciful songs?” She asked as Alexander was looking perhaps nervous and Eleanor covered her mouth trying not to laugh but she was a little at the idea of these songs about him and a pig. “Mudboy... oh dear...” She said as she thought about how she could be a subject of a song and she knew that it could be a bit embarrassing. “Oh, I am sure that she does so in jest...” She said as she stood up with Alexander so that they could move away from the harpsichord. “I have a feeling that she might tease us a little more.” Eleanor mentioned knowing that she might if she saw that her brother was in a similar situation.

Tomas thought as the chains were released, more a formality he knew but the idea of them still rankled. Here he was still willing to serve the Crown and King and yet he was almost treated like a Rebel. He had never lost faith in country, even when younger and watching the various riots break out in Cambridge and Boston, in his heart Tomas was always a Kings man. Rubbing his wrists that were freed of the weight he looked up at Arthur and considered.

"I'll return to the 30th Foot," turning his wrists and rubbing the redness away where the manacles had chafed. "I was there before, and wouldn't be the first to have left and returned. There are some officers I know there, they might be useful in gaining some information, though they won't do it willingly."

Thinking about how to implicate Mr. Alexander Gage, that would be the first task to solve. In the meantime Tomas knew he could send back anything useful that was overheard, or camp gossip. Most of the gossip tended to be more right than many knew, plans were able to be kept secret in detail, but the men talked and grumbled about moving supplies. That sort of information was useful, knowing where the Rebels were going before they marched would allow the Crown to lay in wait.

"I'll have to be careful with the papers, being caught with them by the Rebels is the guarantee of a noose," Tomas stood and stretched his back. Almost falling over with the rocking of the ship. The thumps of the men on deck made him think, "if you can leave me somewhere along the Chelsea Creek then I can make my way back to camp."

---

"She does it in jest," Alexander admitted, glad to have Eleanor's presence so close by. "The sad part is I could be much angrier about it, if she was just not that good." Enjoying the subtle touch of hands, an excuse to place a hand on her shoulder or back, as if by a touch he could possess her and keep her close. "Even I have to admit that once the embarrassment of the song was gone I could laugh," Anna definitely had skill in playing and composing.

As the playing started it was a simple aria, Anna preferred the Italian compostions to the French, and she accompanied it fairly well with the two sisters. The switch was an interesting melody that somehow reminded Alexander of matrimonial music, though as he listened and raised an eyebrow towards Anna she smiled demurely and continued then switched tunes. A smile on her face made him pause, a hand covered his expression of horror as he felt the floor fall out from under him. As if on queue the beginning of the Mudboy song began.

A slight groan as he leaned into the wall, not the best impression that he wanted Eleanor to have of his family. He stood there, hoping and praying to God that he could survive the night unscathed. Instead of the story of a pig the words were different. Finding his hand covering his eyes Alexander opened his fingers a crack as the three girls began to sing, all of then in contralto, but the words to the familiar song caught his attention. They were singing a story, of a young couple named Andrew and Enid, and about how they were young and in love. A common story, and one he knew was closer to them than might be comfortable.

"Oh dear god," he groaned softly, taking Eleanor's hand and squeezing it softly, "how do they do this so quick?"

“Well, that is for you to deal with… It is your service to your King and country and so… you must be prepare to sacrifice your life for that.” He mentioned to his friend even if it was with a cool expression. Arthur had not been home in over a year and had seen battle and so, he had since become a little hardened from the war. “Do what you can… and I also need you to perhaps be a messenger for me as well… you see my sister, Eleanor is also working for me. I know not where she is getting the information but being that you are a friend of the family’s… well, it will not seem so usual if you were to retrieve the letters that she writes to me…” The messages were in code and so, no one would read it… unless they had a decoder… or knew the secret language that he and his sister had made up as children as fun.

How strange that it would be become so useful in the future for war. “I will have the men who brought you here row you out towards Chelsea Creek.” He mentioned as he went over to the door and said, “Follow me then, Tomas. Pleased that you are able to come to the better side… Welcome aboard.” He smiled in a more friendly tone since he had to be the serious officer. His hand on the door knob, his expression went back to being the officer as he opened the door. Walking out of the small room, he waited for the other gentleman to follow him before continuing towards the steps that lead to the upper decks of the naval vessel. The Captain was asleep and would not be up for many hours.

Once on the upper deck, he called to the boatswain as well as the two soldiers that had brought Tomas to him before giving the orders that they were to return Tomas to Chelsea Creek and leave him there. He also gave Tomas a verbal list of his contact and the places that were Loyalists in the spy network… as well as known men who could not be trusted. There was word of double agents as well.

“Right, you have your orders?” He said to his friend before clapping him on the shoulder. Take care and when you see my family… say that I am well. I will have letters sent to you to give to Eleanor… And if you could find the source of her information… and watch over her and the rest of my family.” He said simply. “Thank you, Tomas.” Arthur said before putting on the front of his officer exterior.

---

She glanced at Alexander as she squeezed his hand as if to give him some comfort that everything was going to be quite alright. “Alexander…” She whispered as she wanted to kiss his cheek but thought that it was best not to when they were in the company of their families’ “They only do so in jest but not at us but only because they are quite happy for us.” She said softly as she giggled a little. Listening to the music for a moment, she did not see the look of horror on his face as she waited to see what was going to happen.
Then, Alexander groaned as she glanced at him wondering whatever the matter was… well, the song started and well… she knew exactly what was going on as her eyes went wide and she blinked. Oh dear… the song was about herself and Alexander falling in love. Was she in love with him? Surely not… she liked him but love… well, she was feeling a little embarrassed. “Are you alright, Alexander?” She asked as she squeezed his hand back. “The song is about us…” She giggled a little once again. “It’s a pleasant song… quite good.” Eleanor mentioned to him. “Do not fret… are you upset about the song?”

(Sorry, it took so long... I was a little busy. Thanks for being patient!)

Tomas had learned to act well, Arthur did not realize the shock that ran through Tomas as he heard about Eleanor. His whole reason, at first, of joining the Rebels was to stay near her and keep her safe. The family had not fled Cambridge and after their home had been invaded by one of the Sons of Liberty gatherings, Tomas made a choice. Apparently the wrong one as Eleanor was sending information to her brother about the Rebels. He knew where Eleanor had been getting her information from, keeping his secrets close Tomas went along with Arthur hoping to use all of this for his own gain later on.

If Eleanor wouldn't be his willingly, well, there were other ways.

"Thank you Arthur," he bowed slightly as he prepared to step off ship. "God save the King." The men around took up the cheer as Tomas went down the rope ladder, banging his arm against the ship as he did, unused to the rocking motion as he was. The rowboat was as bad, though smaller it was simple to put his hands on the gunwhale to keep steady. As the rowboat made its way across the harbor Tomas sat within his thoughts wondering how he could exploit all this to his own gain.

---

Alexander gave a weak smile as he held her hand, feeling her fingers clasp within his. "Oh it would be easier to take if Anna just wasn't so talented."

As he listening the tune played on, a familiar base tune that Anna meant as a jibe to him. Adding to it with the words of the new song that the sisters were able to sing quite well, "your sisters are accomplished singers. It would be a very entertaining evening if not for the subject matter." As they finished the song and went on to another that came from the sheaths of paper before them, they all clapped as the parents were pleased with how well the trio was able to perform.

"Anna has been making me the jibe of many of her songs for quite a few years now, often its just us and I can put up with it." Swallowing hard wasn't quite sure how to get the words right, but tried anyway. "It's more that the way she does it, as if a present all wrapped up that looks and sounds pretty but when you look in the box you find a lot of disappointment." The next song was a more well known tune, the three girls continued their trio, Anna's smile at him at once happy for him and Eleanor but also saying in that way that he knew, she had gotten him once again.

"She delights in tormenting me some days," sipping his claret let its sweet aroma restore him. Turning to Eleanor took in those deep eyes, seeing the light within as she looked at him, "and some days I worry about her future husband if she keeps it up. I hope he is as understanding as I am." A slight smile at Eleanor, as if everything was right in the world again.

"I am most pleased to see you again my dear," wanting to slip his hands around her and once again taste those lips. "I only wish we could slip away and have more time to ourselves."

“Do you not tease her in your own way?” She asked him with a curious look in her eyes as she was sitting with him and the sweet song for the two of them was coming to a close. She clapped her hands and smiled at her sisters as well as her soon to be sister in law who were looking proud of themselves for the moment. “Yes, my sisters have sweeter voices than my own.” She laughed lightly. “However, I have a talent for weaving and sew.” She mentioned to him.

“I think the song was actually nice in a way… I suppose that Anna was sending a bit of a jab but… you forget. I have two brothers as well and lord, how they use to torment me. Arthur was notorious for taking me things and tossing it into the street… he would with the neighbour boy, Tomas.” She mentioned to him. “And then, Andrew would get in on the torment but then… I sewed on little flowers on all their shirts. I stayed up all night doing it. I was in a lot of trouble but they deserved it.” She mentioned as she thought of some of the other things that she had done being one of five children.

“I am sure that she will find a man who is suited for her… as you are suited for me, I think.” She said shyly not wanting to assume. “I certainly wish that we could as well but you know that would be a bit of a risk taking idea if we were caught kissing alone for too long.” She leaned in a little to whisper as him as she squeezed his hands a little. “Is it too forward to say that I wish that we could be a little closer?” She could not believe how truly shocking she was being at that moment.

“Sorry, I mustn’t say things like that in the presence of our families.” Eleanor said quickly. “I tend to forget myself when I am in your company… how embarrassing.” She said as one hand went to her cheek, it was heated from her blush. She was looking a little into her lap at this point. Lord, she knew that he liked her but if she was going to ask like this… well, it was not like they were engaged to be married and yet, she was acting like they were.

“You see, I truly like you… and I was so nervous that this night would be a disaster and then, you would never speak to me again. However, it’s going well and it is such a relief to me.” Eleanor admitted.

Alexander could not help but smile, "well, yes. I did tease her when we were younger." Remembering the times he might trick her into leaving her dolls where he might hide one in a different place, or get her to eat something she did not like. The usual brother and sister teasing that he had seen others do. Alexander always loved his sister, he might be playful, but never mean.

"Though, never like this," he felt a slight wave of embarassment and anger wash over him. Alexander wanted the night to be perfect, a dream as wonderful as what he thought their wedding one day could be. This was not a part of it. Though their parents, and their sisters, seemed to be getting along, at the cost of his embarassment. Holding her hand as if it was a life line he smiled down at Eleanor, those piercing eyes, the intentness of the face upon him, they melted him. He was a plaything in her hands, if she knew, nothing else mattered.

"Anything that you would sew for me I would wear, such is your skill," he gestured towards the dress he found both beautiful and fetching. "Even with flowers, I would wear it with pride, my dear." Patting her hand, felt all the swirling emotions that ran through him melt away. "You do ease my heart so, I could not stand her last performance with the family so retreated to the garden. She did come and apologize, in her own way, later but sadly Anna knows me too well to know how to get under my skin. I fear though, I will not get such tonight, but with you here I think I could withstand any barrage of hers."

Stepping a bit closer, pulling Eleanor a little into him so she was within the crook of his arm. His body slightly behind he knew they looked like lovers, with the parents before them only the sisters could see the couple. Which was probably for the best, though they were not being indecent with the way his arm rested on her waist and his other holding her hand, the parents may not want them so close in such an intimate setting. Hearing her his heart leaped, to think that a chance meeting could bring them together, Alexander, if he believed in it, would say it was the hand of fate. For that, he said a silent prayer.

"I am glad I was able to get back to see you, my love," he whispered to her. Noting the curve of her ear, the way her hair slipped behind it. Thinking to himself how there was nothing about her that he could not find interesting, or perfect in her way. "I too was looking forward to this, nervous that our parents would not get along, I know my father is not the easiest man to get along with. I hoped that they would not stand in our way, to our future together. The few days of battle made me realize how fleeting life can be, how little my life would mean without you as a part of it. I want you to be a part of it, to know that at the end of the day the face and eyes that gaze upon mine over a dinner table, belong to you."

She thought that it was rather endearing that he looked a little embarrassed as she said, “You ought not to be embarrassed… it does not change my view of you, Alexander.” She squeezed his hand as she smiled wondering if her sisters were going to try and embarrass her as well that evening. Good Lord, she would murder them if they tried or get her just desserts when they were being courted. “Is my brothers were here then they would most likely try to embarrass me in front of you… and I certainly do not trust my sisters since they might come up with something at another meeting to top Anna.” She mentioned as she glanced at them for a brief moment.

“Well, I don’t think I would sew any flowers onto your jacket but… I could sew a heart on the inside of one as a little token.” She whispered. “Only you would know it was there and that it was my heart that was always with you.” Oh, not she was being romantic with him. Was this what she wanted to do… flirt so much and pretend to mean it… but the problem was that Eleanor was having a hard time remembering that she was supposed to do this for more information and to get his trust. And she would be damned if she was not being adorable and romantic with the man.

“Or a flower if you prefer…” She teased. “It would be hidden… I like the idea of making you a present… oh, I don’t even know your birthday.” She said bewildered since Christmas was a long ways away. Eleanor thought for a moment when he mentioned that he was unable to go into the gardens. It was a pity because she would like to go with him but it was a little inappropriate that they would be left alone. They had been lucky to have their moment in her family’s garden. And they had been caught but her sisters knew better than to tell their mother and father but…

“You know, your sister will have added fuel to your misery.” She looked guilty. “My sister saw us in the garden and well… they will most like tell your sister of it.” Eleanor could only imagine what his sister would write for their next gathering more likely at her own home.

Her own heart was beating a little quickly as her eyes glanced up at him. His hand resting on her waist as she pressed her lips together slowly before saying. “You certainly see a future together for the two of us?” She said softly with a smile but inside… she was certainly worried about the war and if she was truly doing the right thing with betraying him and what he stood for. She did not believe in it but what if he was killed because of her information that she was giving to her brother.

“Sorry, I mean… I see one for us too… however, I am just so worried about this war.” Her voice was low as she sighed. “I only worry… for your safety.” She whispered. “I want you to be part of it and the thought of you getting hurt or… well, we ought not to think of such things.” She squeezed his hand a little more.

Alexander felt giddy as he stood near her. Not sure it was the claret, though he probably had a glass or two more than usual, definitely one more during one of Anna's performances. The feeling ran through him like a potent drink of some kind, feeling flush and with a heart constrained by his own chest, it was fit to be bursting as he had a hand on her and she talked about presents, birthdays, and a future together. Not that she was alone in this, he had many fancies about her, it seemed to be de rigueur with soldiers to focus on what you might lose before a battle.

Officers especially as they were the primary targets of the rifles, even the militia knew to shoot first at the British officers first. Taken them out and leave the men without direction. Being a target had worried him slightly, though now that he had met Eleanor there seemed so much more to lose. The token she had given him was a comfort, but it also served to remind him of how much he stood to lose.

"It is the fervent hope that the war will not last long," he had heard the discussions around the campfire and from the other officers at table. "Once it is seen how much we resist, the thought is everything will go back to the way it was. The only concern is if it does not, and the reality is that it looks to be long and hard."

Feeling his elation ebb he put on a brave smile for her, looking down as if to renew the memory of her dark eyes and elegant face. "I was born on March 17th, 1752," he told her with some pride. "I am sorry you have missed my most recent birthday, I had told my father I was waiting for that until I joined the 30th Regiment of Foot."

"Have I missed your birthday?" He looked slightly hopeful that he could still get her a gift, though he may anyway. He knew girls, or women in Eleanor's case, liked gifts and he dearly wanted to get her something.

Touching his coat as he put his glass on the side table he opened it up, the inner pocket had the handkerchief she had given him. Showing her with some pride, he pat the outside of the coat, "I have kept it nearby since that day. Anything you would wish to give me, heart, flowers, or anything of your own design I would wear with pride and joy. To have you close for now and ever is my fervent hope and dream." Turning to look down at her as the girls moved to a song that was all too familiar, the closing song Anna did. The key work was tricky but it delighted her to show it off, there would be the usual lecture from mother on pride later, but that always seemed to be part of the performance.

"I think not of myself, only of you, of a future for us. I fight for that, so we can have that future, free of the yoke of oppression and politics. I want us Eleanor, I want us." His hand pressed slightly, intently against her, feeling the softness of her but also the strength within. As the song ended he reluctantly pulled his arm away to clap with the others. Their moment alone passing, "there is more I wish to tell you than we ever seem to have time for, but there are three words I could say that would tell it all. A moment alone to say them, is all I would ask of you."

She was wearing him with green eyes and a look of mischief but glee as she said, “The date of my birth is coming soon, I was born June 26, 1755.” Eleanor mentioned, she was 19 years old but would be turning twenty soon and she could be possibly engaged by then… it was exciting even with the looming doubt of her being a spy at the back of her mind. She was allowing herself to enjoy these moments. However, he was making mention of important information about what the men were talking about… what he was thinking about the war. Little bits of information could be important to her own cause.

“I pray that this war does not last too much longer…” She said softly but it seemed like it would be going on for a lot longer than they both hoped. “However, for now…we should be thankful for our time together.” She said softly as she smiled. “Now, I have missed your birthday but I will be able to have some time to make do a lovely surprise for when it does come along.” Eleanor gave a shrug innocently.

“However, I want to still give you a little token of my affection.” She mentioned as she thought a hidden patch would do for now. “To go with my handkerchief that I have given you.” It touched her heart that he had it on his person… did he have it when he was at the camp. How often did he think of her? These were romantic notions that she truly could say that she appreciated in those moments with him. “You truly know how to flatter a woman, Alexander…” She said softly wanting to kiss him.

“You… honour me that you have a token of my affection for you. It is not much but it is lovely to know that you want the same for us as I truly do.” She put her hand on top of his as she glanced at their sisters who were still performing their little musical. Well, Anna had the talent. And Fannie and Betsy were sounding on key.

She blinked when he said that he wanted to tell her three words and she thought in fear of what those words were. She knew exactly that they were mostly that he loved her but was she ready to say it back to him. “Yes, when do you wish to tell me this?” Was he thinking now? Would their parents permit them a moment alone together? “I find myself truly curious.”

Back
Top Bottom