Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Oh, Gods...(Candira and Razgriz)

"Last I saw here, she went behind it" Njord replied, still having kept eyes on Katsumi despite his conversation with his friend. With how much his power was restrained though, his sphere of influence cut off just behind the main temple. If he wanted to expand it, he would need to let out a little more juice. But he couldn't, not without risking her family; the warding might have been powerful, but if he were let out even a sliver of extra power right now, it would severely try the seals in place and risk shattering them.

But he couldn't take down his barrier either and leave to go find her; if he did, he wasn't sure what could get through and what couldn't. Magic was his brother's forte, not his. But thankfully he had planned for such a situation, though it wouldn't be a pretty one. If she was risking being captured, he WAS ordered to do whatever was necessary to protect her. It wasn't something he used often because his brother worried about the degree of control...But then, he did he know just how obedient Njord had made what he was about to summon.

He then began to let out a small growl, growing louder and louder before barking madly, the sharp reports echoing soundlessly to human ears but resonating with fierce intensity to all others. At ground level, a hulking war hound could be seen rising, its eyes and skin the color of fire, its body and tail wrought with thick 'muscle'. And then came two more, growling and sitting before Njord as if waiting for orders. Njord barked once more and the three dogs took off. They would be his eyes....And his wrath should the situation call for it.

----------------------------

It didn't take the dogs very long to find Katsumi, sticking to the shadows but letting little huffs as signs to each as to where they were. Njord saw Katsumi through their eyes; she was leading a girl back to where her home was. "This can't be good" he then muttered off-handedly; he sent a mental command to the hounds to encircle the pair. If it was what he thought it was, Katsumi would witness a true act of brutality. Though she wouldn't be able to make out the three dogs entirely at her state, she would definitely sense their presence.

Kumi winced and covered her ears as Njord barked. She knew exactly what he was doing, but D wasn't going to like it very much. When he sent the hounds off, she relaxed a little. "You know, you could warn a girl," she said, her ears still ringing a bit. "It seems you have things in hand, but I better stay here just in case. My barrier isn't quite as powerful as yours, but it is formidable if you need to leave this place. I'm sure your brother would understand if I'm late coming back this once..."

---

Katsumi, in the mean time, was busy helping the young woman. They were still in the woods, but they were getting closer to the shrine now. "Miss, you need to tell me what's going on. Who is after you?"

The woman was a little older than her, judging by her looks. Her face was more mature and had a pretty shape. The woman's eyes, though full of fear, were a hazel color that was fairly rare around these parts, and her hair was streaked with blonde. She had shorts on, and a t-shirt, but her shoes weren't really made for running--they were slip-ons at best. What had happened to her?

"I'm so sorry to worry you. I should explain, but I'm just so scared...I don't really know what they want from me, but they started following me after I left my house and they didn't let me out of their sight. When I started to run, they started chasing me!"

Could it be that she was being pursued by kidnappers? She'd heard of women disappearing from the streets, but to think that it could happen in broad daylight! She was immediately filled with outrage. How dare they attack a woman like this!

"Don't you worry. They won't get you, I can promise you that."

"Thank you, but I'll be a little less scared when we get somewhere safe..."

"Right. Don't worry, we're almost there." Katsumi had no idea, however, that the sinister vibe she'd caught before hadn't been coming from any men...

The dogs by this point had completely encircled the two of them; a powerful hunger could be felt all around. Mankind had many names for these creatures: Black dogs, Grims, hellhounds, cadejo, the list went on. But the truth was, they were guardians of the lower parallels, sired by an ancient beast of immeasurable age. And many of them were in service to none other than Njord himself. They respected strength, and had come to see him as one of their own.

And tonight, their task was simple: Capture the threat, or kill it if it fought back.

Njord's body had tensed noticeably; just as they growled, so did he. This 'woman' was no human: It was a mercenary, likely sent to probe them for weaknesses. Well, they would get an answer of a lifetime.

The dogs approached, stalking the pair and making their presence known. To Katsumi, there would be nothing but shadows in front of her. To the woman, however, would behold a horrific sight: Their saliva was naught but magma from their jaws, their teeth full and sharp. And their eyes trained on her, waiting with growing impatience for the signal.

And did a signal the Swede give: A mighty howl erupted from his throat, the sound carrying an enormous weight and intensity and sending any nearby birds suddenly scurrying from their nests in fright. The three dogs barked as they charged the demon, ready to sink their teeth and tear the spirit from within its likely unwilling host.

Katsumi frowned as she walked with the woman. The air around them had changed a bit. There was an unmistakable hunger in the air--a thirst for violence, if nothing else. Katsumi could sense it and she tensed. The woman, however, could actually see what was going on. Enormous dogs--vicious and powerful in appearance had surrounded them, and she knew she was done for.

Katsumi saw shadows, but sensed something in the area. The intent to harm was in the air, but she felt oddly safe. It was her charge that seemed to be in danger. What was going on?!

"Ahh...I don't feel so good..." the woman said, her bleeding hands coming to her stomach. Just as the canines charged, the spirit leaped from the woman, hoping to escape in time. It was a futile wish, but that didn't change the fact that she was earnestly hoping not to die.

Katsumi could have sworn that she heard barking and spun as she saw the shadows rush toward her, instinctively stepping out of the way. Her charge hit the ground a moment later, throwing up in a most spectacular fashion, while the malevolent feeling resurfaced and then dissipated quickly.

"Oh...dear. Umm, are you alright?" Katsumi asked, holding back the poor woman's hair.

It was indeed too late; as soon as the spirit left from its host, the jaws of two of the hounds snapped onto its legs while the third snapped around its neck. They wouldn't kill it yet, and once in the grip of these particular pooches, there was no escape for this encroacher. And with surprising agility, the one carried the demon in its jaws all the way back to Njord.

Meanwhile, the young woman was coming to, her head spinning and herself feeling nauseated. She seemed quite out of it, not unexpected for one who just went through a demonic possession. "Oh god....Thank you...." she muttered as she remained hunched over, crying and shivering after her last retch emptied her stomach entirely.

"I....What just happened to me?" the woman then queried, her voice cracking with fright and relief at the same time.

-----------------

Meanwhile, Njord was getting quite the delivery; once the dogs were on the roof with him, the demon was let go. Njord grasped the bracelet on his wrist and squeezed one of the links, focusing his presence directly on the evil being and putting quite a bit of pressure on it in doing so. Not enough to kill it...Yet.

"Possession...You demons are a real one-trick pony, you know that?" Njord sneered; his attitude was not playful this time. If there was one thing he despised more than anything, it was cowardly acts like this. And with this, he didn't have to worry about straining the house seals; this demon was getting the full brunt of the extra 'weight', not a speck going near the seals themselves.

"Now then..." he continued, kneeling down to face the demon itself, before stating "You can make this real easy on yourself. Tell me who sent you...Or I'm going to let my lovely-looking friend take you somewhere far less pleasant." The last bit was given with a nod towards Kumi herself; no doubt his brother would want to question the assailant. He had very creative - and in mortal terms, horrific - ways of getting information from those who crossed him. Many of which would make even the worst genocides on this world seem small and insignificant.

Katsumi continued to comfort the woman who was recovering from possession. The poor thing was going to feel like crap for the next few hours, but she would be fine. And as soon as Katsumi felt the malevolent spirit leave, she knew what had happened. It did not sit well with her. To what end had the spirit been using this woman? And what had stopped it?

"Miss, I'm not really sure. You stumbled into the woods claiming to be chased just awhile ago. It's possible that you were possessed," she said, frowning. Some people didn't believe in that sort of thing, but she got the feeling that this girl would go with it.

"What?! Really? That kind of thing is REAL?"

Oh boy. "I'm afraid so. Please, come back to the shrine with me. We'll get you cleaned up and we'll create a demon ward for you."

"Thank you, so much!"

With that, Katsumi hurried the girl back to the shrine where her mother took over and instructed Katsumi to finish her chores. When all was said and done, the two of them set about purifying the grounds once more, working hard to ensure the safety of the shrine. They would return home together.

---

"W-who the hell are you?!" the demon cried, eyes wide with fear and confusion. The pressure f his aura was incredible, and though the woman gave no hint of her strength, Kumi's calm demeanor was possibly more fightening. Especially considering who her master really was.

"I suggest you start cooperating," Kumi said. "This one isn't exactly known for his patience..."

"Ahh! I was hired to scope out the girl. I didn't ask questions! They paid me up front! I swear to you that's all I know!"

"My, you're quite useless, arent you?" Kumi looked at Njord, wondering what he would do next.

Njord sighed heavily; seemed this demon would be needing some extra convincing. "That's strike two. In case you were wondering, strike one was going near the girl" he growled, taking his bracelet again and tweaking another link; the spirit would feel the pressure increase, bordering on mind-breakingly painful most likely. She knew something, and Njord already had a potential suspect in mind. Well, two, actually.

"My friend is right to an extent. I can be impatient...especially when I deal with cowards and manipulators. Call it one of my buttons" the Swede stated; the dogs sensed his aggression and growled and snarled in response, their jaws salivating at the prospect of tearing this demon apart. Even if they were aligned with what many considered the 'darkness', all were potential prey to these hounds. Njord barked harshly at them once "Stay!", making them back off a little but their gazes remained on the evil spirit before.

"Now then, last chance. Talk. Or you go with her." Njord commanded, waiting for the demon to reply. If she didn't, then her life would be in the hands of D and B. Part of him wanted to let three dogs have their way with her, but she could be withholding valuable information. If not...Well, no harm done in exhausting the lead.

"I swear, I don't know anything!" the demon cried out, looking like she was about to break down in fright. "Strike three. Kumi, take her to my brother. And have an associate look into my other brother's activities. I have a solid feeling he might be somehow involved in this." The dogs whimpered, apparently saddened that their master wouldn't let them use her as a chewtoy. "Sorry, boys...Need this one alive. But any more come by, and they're all yours." he then grinned, to which the dogs gave higher pitched barks of apparent glee.

Kumi's gaze darkened as Njord told her to take the spirit away. "Very well. It seems we'll have our hands full for awhile. I trust you'll guard her well. You'll hear from us soon."

With that, she removed one of the ribbons from her hair and it glowed, warping into a chain. "Now then, you'll be coming with me..." And the chain wrapped itself tightly around the frightened fugitive, forcing her into an unhealthy and uncomfortable position. "Say bye bye to the human realm," Kumi said, her voice full of mirthful malice. With that, she sank back into the shadows with her screaming captive and came to report back to her superior who would have much worse in mind.

--

Katsumi, in the mean time was returning home with her mother. Upon their arrival, she thought she sensed the same shadows from the shrine, but it was hard to tell, especially at this time of day. It was strange that she hadn't detected the presence of the demon earlier...normally, they were easy to pick up. But considering the way it seemed to leave without much intervention, it could have just been a very weak demon. Or, it could have been disguising its aura somehow.

This turn of events was very troubling to Katsumi and her mother. It was on their minds even after they had changed and started making dinner. But then Otoya came home and both women thought it best to just drop it for now.

"Hi, dad. How was work?"

Njord paid no mind to the departure of his comrade, only giving a curt nod as she reminded him to take good care of his charge. The shadows remained around the shrine; as Katsumi had thought, they were perfectly fine on leaving her be. It was any encroachers that would be dealt with harshly.

Since they didn't get to leave the underworld too often, Njord thought it best to just have them patrol the area. It would serve doubly well in case anyone decided to stay home sick or something; at least with this, there would be another barrier of protection around Katsumi's parents and household. Njord knew all too well that just like possession, someone would likely try to take the girl's parents hostage to gain leverage.

And with that, he continued to be the guardian of this house, his gaze vigilant upon the still and silent night.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otoya had certainly had a rough day; what had been an already difficult case was proving to be problematic. Frankly, Otoya was surprised the case wasn't thrown out; the victim could not identify several details of the scene, even after he had already given his statement. He had to re-examine every statement, every bit of evidence, and now they had to re-file a detention order.

And he certainly looked the part, but kept his normal face of strength on despite his slightly disheveled hair. "I can't say too much, but there was definitely some roadblocks in the case. Nonetheless, we'll make sure justice is done".

He then smiled and asked his daughter, "How about you? How was your martial arts club today?"

Kumi brought the spirit straight to her master, bowing at his feet as she gave her report. "Njord thought that perhaps you might prefer to interrogate this worthless creature. Though it claims to know nothing, perhaps you would like to be sure, my lord."

The spirit continued to moan in agony, well aware that screaming would do it no good in this realm. Kumi would wait patiently for an answer, never once moving until the command was given. She had never failed her master and she was unceasingly loyal. Truth be told, she was a little bit in love with him, but she paid those feelings no heed. Though her master was kind and a man she could be proud to serve, it was certain he didn't think of her as anything more than a servant, and she was content to keep things the way they were.

Besides--he had a mean streak that was difficult to reconcile with the man she often worked with. Then again, so did she.

---

Katsumi frowned as her father explained his rough day, but he seemed somehow cheered to see her, so that was always nice. She gave him a little hug as he asked about her club. Her eye twitched ever so slightly as she told him she'd welcomed the exchange student to the club. "He's impressive, but there's something a little off about his style. He got a little carried away in our sparring match, but it all ended well. We both stopped before things got too out-of-hand." She smiled, though there was the tiniest bit of falsehood to it.

"Would you like some tea?" she asked, deciding to change the subject before her father could really ask more.

Her mother raised an eyebrow. "This is the boy who gave you a ride home yesterday? How curious that he keeps running into you."

"Not really. We're classmates, and he seems very interested in fighting..." Katsumi shrugged, unaware of how she had planted the seeds of insecurity in her father's head. "He doesn't strike me as particularly violent, but it seems like you shouldn't get him started if you aren't prepared to finish the fight." She thought back to the serious damage he'd done to the room and frowned. If any of those hits had connected, she'd be in a lot worse shape than she was now.

D - a relatively short-statured, dark-haired individual dressed in what appeared to be a business suit complete with black tie and polished shoes - had anticipated the arrival of their new 'guest', already preparing some tools to use against the creature, the instruments laid neatly on a table in front of him. It was more for show really, than anything useful; while he frowned on those who used fear to rule, he did not mind its use for 'education'. And he was always one for correcting perceived notions.

He normally he didn't intervene with Njord's mission objectives, preferring to leave it to his (sometimes very questionable) judgment, but since Njord had the sense - despite his blunders with that Katsumi woman - to give him a potential lead, he only felt it fitting to welcome them. And when Kumi brought the spirit back, he turned, only replying as he revealed the neatly combed locks and shaved but slightly wrinkled face "Thank you, Kumi...You may leave now. I'm sure you have other matters to which you must attend".

"Sometimes, I wonder if I ever made the right choice...Bringing my brothers and I into the affairs of gods and beasts. Everyone wanting their fingers in everyone else's pie" he then stated as he turned his attention to the spirit, holding up a particularly wicked-looking instrument that seemed like an overly large needle. Giving it a flick, he then gave a distasteful click of the tongue, saying nothing and merely putting back into its proper place on the table.

"But isn't that what this is all about? Our choices. But many don't seem to look beyond that. They have no thought of the consequences, no expectation of what might happen when that choice is made" he continued, approaching the demon with his arms held behind his back. "Like you, for instance...You think no one would plan for some talentless saboteur to come snooping around?" Giving her an irritated frown, she would feel his own aura rise. If she thought the other was impressive...This was on a whole other level. "It is you and those like you that give us purpose. And yet despite the warnings given, you continue to tread on. So bothersome."

"I sincerely hope your master has a backup plan. And if you're thinking you're going to protect him by being silent, or even thinking of giving him up to save your own life...You're wrong. I already know who it is. I already know what they want. But you'll still serve some use..." He paused, his right hand coming up and a small hand-scythe appearing in his palm, the thin fingers curling around the shaft. "You'll be a valuable object lesson for those who exploit the Balance for their own personal gains." he then added venomously, descending on the demon to make his work of her.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otoya frowned as Katsumi mentioned that boy again; well, at least they both knew their limits. But if he was going to start trouble at the dojo any more, he would need to talk to the Sensei there to have him removed from the club.

"Yes, dear, some tea would be lovely" he replied, deciding to trust his daughter once more; really, she didn't seem too distressed.

Though, even if Katsumi stated he wasn't violent...It really did sound like he was - oh what was it, he thought - a 'scrapper'. Yeah, that's what he heard one of his American colleagues use. "Perhaps I should have a talk with this young man. If he is that 'volatile', I don't think having him in the same class as you will be very good for your studies." he then said to Katsumi. Even if it did sound paranoid, it was only for the sake of his daughter that he would go to that length.

Kumi bowed as her master allowed her to take her leave. She left wordlessly and saw to finding someone to look into D's other brother. Things were looking grim, indeed.

---

Katsumi prepared her father's favorite tea, surprised that he would go so far as to attempt to get Njord removed from class. Would it make her life a little less stressful? Certainly, but it was unthinkable to deny someone their education because she couldn't get along with them. "Father? I don't think you need to go so far. He's a foreigner. He simply isn't used to our country's customs. He is merely ignorant and impulsive. He probably just needs time to adjust. I can manage on my own, but if he gets any worse, I'll be sure to come to you first."

Mai Sango watched her daughter curiously. The girl had always acted like such a grown up. Perhaps she had been a little too strict. It seemed her little girl was trying to take the world onto her shoulders. Everything was so serious with that girl...and everyone, too. It meant that Katsumi was sometimes quick to judge others, but it was rare that she was wrong. If she was defending the person who so obviously bothered her, it must have meant he wasn't all bad. If her girl were just a little more normal she might have suspected a crush, but she doubted it was Katsumi getting lovesick. Though, perhaps it was the other way around.

Hmm...maybe that was it. This Njord person seemed interested in her, after all. He gave her a ride and helped her to the office. He even got into an fight with her. Boys did that kind of thing when they liked a girl. Perhaps it was all just a misunderstanding. How wonderful! Her daughter had an admirer!

(Hahaha, Katsumi's mother is a riot xD So hopeful for her daughter)

"Thank you" Otoya said as she presented his tea; it was still a bit hot, so he let it sit. He was a bit surprised to hear his daughter come to this boy's defense; but then, he supposed it was a rational explanation. It had only been two days after all. It was definitely likely that he still wasn't used to how things worked around here.

"And I will be here if you do" he told her, giving her a confident smile showing he trusted her judgment. Only she would know exactly how far she could be pushed. And he didn't want to make her uncomfortable by intervening when she could still handle the situation. Little did he realize the train of thought his wife possessed, but inwardly he was still thankful that she did not seem to hold any special interest in the boy.

"Did you finish all of your chores, Katsumi? You seem a little worn out today. Perhaps you should turn in soon" he then suggested; he didn't know if she had finished her homework or not, but he hoped that she would get some rest tonight.

(Bless her heart, she's trying)

"I still have some work to do for class tomorrow," she said, setting a plate of pickles on the table. "But it shouldn't take too long. I'll finish up after dinner."

Mai smiled and set the fried rice and fish she had grilled on the table and let Katsumi handle the miso and everything else. It was nice to cook once in awhile. "Maybe you should turn in early, too, Otoya. It sounds like you've been working hard." She smiled at her husband and winked a little as she sat down. "Let's eat, shall we?"

Dinner passed in a cheery little blur, and Katsumi finished her work in time to take a nice bath. "Mm, it feels nice..." Her aching muscles were soothed by the hot water and she took extra time to take care of herself. The bruises on her chest were faint, but still very tender. What was he thinking?

Dinner was fantastic as always; Katsumi had made the miso perfectly and her father couldn't help but compliment her on her skills as a cook. And when she went upstairs, Otoya couldn't help feeling proud of their daughter. She was growing into such a fine young woman every day. Any boy would be lucky to have her as a wife...Provided they could catch her interest. One day, he thought, that perfect someone will come along for her.

He thanked his wife, lucky to have such an amazing woman as his lover. "Mai...What do you think of this boy that's run into Katsumi? Even if they are classmates, it seems like he's a little 'over-zealous'. Do you think he'll be a distraction for her?" he then asked, wondering what her thoughts on the young man were.

Mai chuckled at her husband's question. "Oh, Toya. I don't know what to think. Part of me thinks that she should steer clear, but part of me wishes she would be distracted. Our little girl is a good girl, and the sooner she gets the bad-boy phase our of her system, the better off we'll all be. Better to get it out of the way now, when we can keep track of her and help her. Besides, she takes everything far too seriously. I'm starting to worry that we've been too strict."

She shook her head and took Otoya's hand. "Katsumi is a strong woman. She will not be swayed by someone who is unworthy. So if that young man knows what's good for him, he'll shape up before he tries anything. He might be a good fighter, but if he wants her heart, he'll have to learn another art entirely."

Katsumi's mother remembered fondly Otoya's own attempts to woo her. He had been adorably inept at first, and surprisingly smooth once he got to know her better. He was impossibly sweet and romantic, and he'd filled her head with thoughts of nothing but him before he was through. Otoya was her whole heart, and she loved all of him--even the things he did that aggravated her. Even as she watched him now, her eyes were full of adoration and love.

"Don't worry, dear. We'll be here to make sure she stays on the right track. A little distraction never hurt."

Otoya chuckled a little nervously as his wife explained her thoughts; of course Katsumi was strong-willed. Even without the strict discipline they instilled in her, she was always a very stable-headed and focused young woman. She had rarely acted out, even as a baby. The fact that the boy had been on her radar twice now in such a short time had him worried; as much as he tried to remain neutral, the fact was he did not feel comfortable with the thought of this individual pursuing Katsumi.

However, that last feeling was all but banished as she took his hand and reassured him that everything would be alright. "You always know just what to say, my lovely sakura blossom." he replied, curling his fingers around her own and lifting her hand up to kiss the top of it. He remembered the first time he tried this; he was trying so hard to act like a gentleman, thinking it would be the key to winning her over if he did everything 'by the book'. Though despite his early failures at courtship, he somehow still managed to have her hand in marriage - much to the chagrin of some of her other suitors.

"You are right...She is strong. She will follow her heart to the man of her dreams". he replied, returning the love in her gaze with his own. "But now, I say we should retire for the night. What say you, my darling Mai?"

Mai smiled and took her husband's hand. "Of course, dear." With that, she led the way upstairs, turning off the lights as she went, just leaving the hall lights on upstairs for Katsumi when she got out of the bath. Then, it was just Mai and Otoya in their own little world.

Katsumi in the mean time was taking a bad, frowning at the bruises on her skin. She would be sensitive for the next few days, but she supposed that was what she got for fighting with him in the first place. Even now, she was still a little angry. Who punches a whole in the floor during a friendly sparring match? Sure, she'd managed to free herself with some cheap shots, but it was almost as if that maniac had really been trying to hurt her.

True, she'd wanted to rough him up a little, but the only thing she really wanted to hurt was his ego. But she hadn't even managed that. What was his problem with her? Since his arrival he'd been making fun of her and pissing her off--on purpose in her opinion. What was his problem?

She sighed and sank into the tub, wishing that she could focus on something else for awhile. Maybe she should look into getting a pet or something. She could at least volunteer somewhere. She always seemed to do better around animals. Most of them took a liking to her anyhow. Yes, a little time with some animal friends would do the trick. She could go after the Matilda arts club and archery tryouts tomorrow.

Plan in mind, Katsumi finished her bath, fot ready for bed, and began working on her remaining homework.

Otoya just smiled a slightly devilish grin as the door to their chambers closed; it was obvious that he had something slightly lewd in mind. He would keep it mild but very pleasant nonetheless if she so chose to participate, if only to give Katsumi some solace and not disturb her. After all, it was a husband's duty to ensure his beloved was satisfied.

The night came and went, the dogs continuing their patrols outside the Sango residence; the humans in range should be so thankful not to be able to perceive them, especially when more interlopers came along to 'stake out' the property. Njord kept his promise, letting the faithful hounds engage in their own version of 'play'.

And as the sun rose, Otoya was out the door before the rest of the family woke up; he only grabbed some toast for breakfast, as he was called in early to help talk to a judge about the detention order for the suspect. It was going to be another grueling day at the office, but he did have some time before he left. In the refrigerator, Katsumi would find a bento box with a note saying "Good luck with archery today. Love, Papa".

Njord took note of this, and raised a finger, sending a bolt of energy - invisible to the human eye - shooting to the sky, messaging one of Kumi's known associates to look over him. After last night's incursion, Njord was beginning to make preparations in case they tried targeting her family. He had seen this tried too many times in his field of work; Katsumi might be the target, but he knew of several particularly nasty groups/individuals who would use that angle to their advantage.

And, oh, how happy he made his wife. Otoya knew exactly how to please Mai, and she was more than happy to return the favor. They were quiet, but very satisfied that night. It was a little sad to wake up without him, but Mai knew he would think of her at work today. And there was nothing wrong with day dreaming a little as she ran the shrine...she was up in time to make breakfast and make sure Katsumi made it to school alright before she went to the temple.

As Katsumi hurried to the bus stop, she thought she saw a dog heading into the bushes. Strange....there weren't many people with bigger dogs around here. Well, it was probably just her imagination. Oh well.

About twenty minutes later, she was at school, smiling and chatting with friends. Hopefully, today would go smoothly. When Njord arrived, Katsumi greeted him cheerfully, hoping that if she was nice enough, he would simmer down a bit.

And simmer down he would; of course, one might expect it after receiving not one but three kicks to the privates. There was still a bit of a limp in the Swede's step as he made his way into class, but he still grinned from ear to ear nonetheless.

"Yo, Katsumi..." he said with the same style of carefree attitude; still, she would find something surprising to leave his mouth. Something that they wouldn't expect. Even still, some students watched him with careful scorn; needless to say, very few of them were happy with once word got around of what had transpired at the dojo.

"Hey, just wanted to apologize for yesterday. Sensei made me realize I pushed things too far." he explained, adding with a small laugh "I tend to get a little...overexcited during fights. Did a lot of it when I was back in Sweden, could argue that it's in my blood." His expression then turned more serious, wanting her to know that he meant what he was saying, "Doesn't mean it's right though. Hopefully we can move forward on more peaceful terms."

Some of the students were genuinely surprised at the psycho's straightforwardness, some at how he didn't ask for forgiveness; all did, however, regard his words with careful scrutiny. Some still just looked to Katsumi, wondering what she would do about this.

Though part of her was smugly satisfied about the slight limp in Njord's step, Katsumi did feel kind of bad for striking below the belt...so hard...and so many times. Granted, he had given her reasons for doing it, she could have just tapped out... No. Never. It could only have gone the way it did yesterday.

When he admitted that he was at fault, however, Katsumi softened a bit. She respected that he didn't ask for forgiveness. He was simply stating the facts. He did seem sorry, and he was apologizing, so that was a step in the right direction. For such a shameless person, he was really trying to be serious. She couldn't just ignore his attempts to make amends.

The students around her bristled at his nerve or sweat in anticipation. She remained calm as she extended her hand. "It's in the past. Let's move on. Next time, though, you need to not try to kill me." She smiled and waited to shake his hand and seal the deal.

Njord had a feeling that doing this over and over again would only make things harder on his assignment; last thing he needed this ending up like was a bad television soap opera or something. So, even if it took every ounce of his being, he would behave himself...To the best of his ability.

Shaking her hand, he smiled back and stated, "Not going to lie. That was one of the more entertaining fights I had. But I'll hold myself back in the future should we decide to do it again". Regardless of what had happened, he could see her vitality: It was stronger than before, yet nowhere it needed to be. But that was alright, there was time to help improve her spiritual energy. Seemed pushing her yesterday helped move things along a little bit.

"Morning class" Njord heard the teacher say as he came in, to which the Swede said "Well, time to go where the troublemakers sit, hahaha". And with that, he sauntered off to take his assigned seat.

And boy was he bewildered when the lesson began: The teacher started writing symbols and numbers on the board, stating that they were 'equations'...And what in the world was a 'derivative'?

Though she probably should have been offended by his offer to hold back, she knew what he meant. And having been on the receiving end of his full efforts before had been a bit too brutal for her tastes. Pride would have to take a back seat this time around if she wanted to live after their fights. "I appreciate that," she said, though there was just a hint of flatness to her voice. It wasn't so much that she was thanking him as she was relaying a fact she was rather reluctant to reveal. It was necessary to thank him, but she really wished it wasn't.

She nodded when he went to sit in the back again and then took her seat as well. There was a collective groan from students as the teacher launched into a math lesson. Katsumi wasn't overly fond of the subject, but it wasn't terribly difficult. Well, until today, that is. Why did they have to learn so much math anyway? When was she going to use this in her practical life? Certainly she would use some of these things, but derivatives? Somehow, she doubted that running a shrine would necessitate such knowledge.

Still, she carried on with her notes and practice problems and sighed in relief when they finally got to take a break. "Good..." Complaining out loud about work wasn't really her style, but she was glad to be able to free her mind again. But then the next person came in for teaching, and they were off on an adventure in English until lunch.

Njord thought his mind was about to explode; he didn't take a single note, and probably couldn't even if he wanted to. Just what the hell was that? From what his brother had told him, it was something called 'math'. What usefulness did this serve? Sure he had been 'given' an understanding of it, but he didn't really know enough to figure out what it actually was. Likely another subject he was going to end up failing...Not that it mattered. It was the last semester of high school senior year...And it wasn't like he was actually here to get an education.

Next was English, which was a lot of writing and exposition, as well as going over grammar and syntax. Now this was something Njord could get behind: It was essentially storytelling. He loved telling stories, especially if he got the chance to write about his adventures. Oh the tales he'd weave.

And then came lunch, which meant a chance for the students to mingle in their homeroom and talk amongst one another for a short period. For Njord, this was a chance to get up and just stretch his legs. "I don't know they do it" Njord muttered under his breath before he sat down on the edge of his desk and peered out amongst the students. Was this really part of their curriculum? Being stuffed indoors and listening to people prattle on about essentially nothing? What a horrifyingly boring experience.

"Njord...Did you not bring a lunch?" he then heard a student next to him ask, to which Njord replied with a small grin, "No. Back in Sweden, I would just eat a big breakfast, then a small dinner after class. Do we do anything physical today? Being stuck in this room is making me all twitchy." Some of the students laughed, "No, not until tomorrow. That's when we have PE".

Back
Top Bottom