Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Oh, Gods...(Candira and Razgriz)

It certainly wasn't easy for the Swede to have to restrain himself any more than he already did; even with the limiters his brother had put in place, his raw physical power was nothing to sneeze at. And to those that saw him, they could see that he was actually holding himself back quite well despite his obvious desire to cut loose. A good part of the time was spent being a punching bag for the other juniors to work on their striking and technique; needless to say, even though he was reining it all in, the other disciples were (justifiably) wary of being anywhere near him.

As he made his way out of the dressing room, he found Katsumi waiting for him only to ask if he would attending archery practice today. "But of course! Someone's gotta show you all how it's done!" he joked; the two of them then proceeded somewhat silently to Otame-sensei's own dojo, where the other students were also just getting ready for their practice today.

"Ah, Miss Sango. And Mister Skallagrim, welcome back." the elderly man stated quite happily, adding "I heard through the grapevine that you had family troubles. I hope everything is well; I'll admit it's troubling to have you vanish so suddenly like that. It must have been quite important."

"If only you knew." said the Swede in his head, replying verbally "Yeah...My older brother got himself mixed up in some nasty business. Had to do what I could to get him unstuck. Wasn't a particularly fun process." Then again, Njord was hardly a fan of chess to begin with; he could play well enough, but he was by no means an expert. But they wouldn't know that, nor would he tell them.

"I don't suppose there are still tryouts happening?" Njord then asked with a sheepish grin on his face. Otame-sensei shook his head mildly, "I'm sorry to say that all the spots for the teams this year have been filled if you were interested in trying out. We could still use helpers for setting up targets and the like, however, if you're wanting to find a way to contribute." the teacher proferred, confirming what Katsumi had told him earlier. Njord himself nodded in reply, stating "I think I can do that." Something that made the teacher smile and say, "Very good, now go on you two. It's about we get started."

Katsumi smiled as Njord said that he was going to archery. Despite his faults, she liked the giant best when he was happy. His indignities seemed forgotten as they traveled to the archery club, and he seemed more at home in the archery club where he was free to use his skills to his heart's content. But this type of archery was more an exercise of the mind and of stamina. Still, this was the kind of thinking she sensed Njord was best at. She walked with him in peace in the spirit of camaraderie. When they arrived at the club, Otame sensei greeted them and relayed the same information she had earlier, but she supposed that it needed to be confirmed. No point in not asking, right? When they were excused, she bowed her head gracefully and headed to the locker room to change and get her bow and arrows.

More gossip awaited her in the locker room, thanks to the freshmen girls. "So, did you hear? That hot foreigner guy has a little sister!"

"What? No way! Is she cute?"

"She's alright, but she's nothing special. Definitely not compared to her hunk of a brother."

"Wasn't he gone for awhile?" One of the girls asked, braiding her hair.

"Yeah, I heard it was family troubles. I wonder if it has to do with his sister?"

"Nah, I heard he has a brother, too. Can you just imagine?! He must be built just like his brother. Ahhh! I'm drooling!"

Katsumi rolled her eyes and wondered how news had traveled so fast. She changed quickly and pulled her hair up into a higher ponytail, feeling somewhat invigorated. She felt...charged somehow. Determined to do well in practice today. The tournament would be coming up soon, and she needed to come through. She left the locker room and took up her bow and quiver. She nodded at Njord and then headed to her practice area.

Taking a deep breath, she started the ceremonial process. When she finally took aim, her movements so flawless and fluid that others stopped to watch, her body seemed to have a glow to it. Her concentration was so intense in that moment that the rest of the world disappeared. She was completely in the zone, and the target, her weapon, and her movements were all that mattered. The target seemed to glow with an aura all its own as she focused with laser-like precision on the target. Her body felt absolutely electric and dynamic as she moved and it was as though she had been doing this kind of archery all her life.

When she let the arrow fly it burst clear through the target and the practice fence, leaving a larger entry and exit points than it should have. She gasped, frozen after she fired, stunned at the occurrence. The sheer force behind the arrow couldn't have been enough to do that...physics just didn't support it. What had just happened?!

The world came crashing back to her as the others shouted and rushed at her, asking if she was alright and what had happened. Katsumi just stood there, eyes wide, mouth agape as she stared at the damage she'd caused. And had she imagined the auras? She shook her head and searched for someone who could help her make sense of what just happened, but she doubted she would be able to find anyone like that.

The practice session began off easily enough, the seniors working with Yaru on their ceremonial aspects before moving on to the actual firing of the bow. Njord and the other newcomers still continued to focus on their form, learning more and more about how to string and hold the bow. Otame-sensei was a man who clearly enjoyed reinforcing the fundamentals; and oddly enough, Njord seemed to have the most patience with it, the other students looking over at the seniors and some muttering that they should be ready to begin shooting.

"Alright class, let's take a break and watch the advanced students at work" he then said to his underlings, having them stand up and watch with careful to the movements of his well-practiced seniors. First was Youga again, showing impressive determination and fluidity. Then came Tenchi, the target soon sitting there with the long arrow protruding from its 'chest' area.

And finally Katsumi took the stage, her form about as close to perfect as one could get, her movements inhumanly smooth as she readied the bow. The other students likely couldn't see it, but to the Swede it was clear as day: She was channeling her own energy, subconsciously or not, into the weapon. Drastically increasing its striking power as her aura marked the dummy as her target. And the results were nothing short of earth-shattering.

Everyone fell silent in the aftermath, everyone except Njord staring at her in shock; the overlarge student just had this big old satisfied grin on his face, like he'd just witnessed the world's finest display of marksmanship. No doubt she herself was stunned beyond words, especially when she began to search for something to help explain what just occurred.

And as if to help point her in the right direction, utilizing her likely ignorance of Northern European culture to his advantage, the Swede let out a low chuckle and started a long drawn out slow clap, stating "Nicely done, very nicely done, Katsumi! I've seen this before, but never to this extent! The spirit of the Huntsman flows through you!" Seeing the others now looking at him like he was mental, he just laughed and added, "Ask her yourself! Katsumi, tell them! Did you not experience the most intense focus you ever had? Did you not feel the power building in every fiber of your being, in every bit of your soul? I bet it was like the rest of us weren't even here...Was it?"

Katsumi blinked finally blinked when she heard the slow clap of the calmest person in the area. Why was it that Njord always seemed to have the strangest ideas...but what he was describing was very much correct, and she was the daughter of a shrine maiden, so disbelieving it was not really in her blood. But what the hell was he talking about?

"I...Yes, that's true. But how...?" She was still having trouble forming coherent thoughts. She was responsible for the damage that the target and the fence had suffered, and she found herself hoping that whoever was on the other side was uninjured as well. What had happened? Panic was barely held at bay as she stared at the giant who practically beamed at her. "What do you mean, the Huntsman?" she asked, hoping that it would help to settle her nerves.

Murmuring started to take over as the others pushed their way closer to her, peppering her with questions, talking among themselves, exalting her with praise and talking behind her back rather maliciously at the same time. Njord's explanation would have to stave off a lot of inquiring minds if she was going to get any piece of mind. Plus, her malicious gossip-mongers would find a way to weave the Nordic man into her story with that crazy smile on his face. His "sister" on the other hand, was long since forgotten.

Yes it would seem that Katsumi was about to get overrun, people begging her to tell them how she did; other still claimed that someone set it all up just to make her look more badass. There was more than a few that felt she had unfairly earned her place among Sensei's favorites, that she had somehow cheated her way into making the team.

But then came another voice. One that would prove to be oddly helpful.

"I can't believe you're still going about that old wive's tale, brother." Connie then spoke up, her voice seemingly quite powerful and possessing a rather strange air of authority. It was like she appeared out of nowhere, standing at the very back of the crowd; at that instant, the others turned to look upon the raven-haired woman. "Who are you?" asked Tenchi, his eyes narrowed a little at this newest, to which the woman replied "Forgive me, I am Connie Stanson. Njord's younger sister...Well, half-sister to be exact. He never seems to properly clarify."

Giving a slight 'Harumph' as she cleared her throat, she then went on, eyes peering at the group with her head half-bowed "I've never believed it myself, but Njord here believes that this young girl" She then paused and pointed a finger to Katsumi, "Momentarily channeled the skill and power of Ullr, Norse god of bows and the hunt. He is referred to by many as simply 'The Huntsman', a warrior of exceptional aptitude with the weapon. A being of such prime importance that to this day several locations in Sweden still bear his namesake."

The others still seemed unsure, but for one reason or another were beginning to question Katsumi's feat of skill less and less.

"Well, I suppose it makes sense..."

"Still, comparing her to a god?"

"I don't know, seems a little strange."

Just then Connie's eyes flashed with a rather strange hint of powerful energy, like it threatened to make those of weaker constitution buckle simply from the force of the gaze. "Believe it or don't, I honestly could care less. The fact remains she did something incredible, so if we could just leave it at that." This last statement seemed quite weighty and influential, and almost instantly some of the students began apologizing for pestering Katsumi and congratulating her on such a well-placed shot.

"Well now, Connie...This is new for you."

"Oh shut it, you blundering oaf. I did it because their incessant bickering was giving me a migraine."

"Still...Thanks."

Connie just sighed and rubbed her temples, adding verbally, "Now then, brother...I suppose I'll be waiting outside until you're finished here. Apologies, everyone, for the interruption." And just like that, Connie left, leaving them to their lesson once more. And slowly, the students began to filter down and resume their instructions. Njord just shot Katsumi a thumbs-up and turned his attention back to his own lesson, namely working more on the soft-grip technique and how to balance the bow in his hand.

"Oh, Njord...I forgot to mention in all the excitement. Your robes have arrived; I don't quite know your measurements, but if they're too large you can always have tailored to your fit. Still, I like to think I've a fairly good eye for that sort of thing." Otame-sensei then commented, giving the Swede a polite nod. "Thanks, Sensei. But if you don't mind my asking, when's it our turn for target practice?" The teacher could only chuckle, "Tomorrow, my good student. Tomorrow."

Speak of the devil...Connie appeared again, commanding the attention of the crowd with the authority of someone much older and used to bing in control. For a moment, the girl could have sworn Connie's aura was visible. Never before had she been so spiritually sensitive. She was particularly attuned to the spirit world, but auras were more of a presence than a visual thing for her.

The newcomer explained the phenomenon Njord had been talking about, but despite feeling comforted, she was incredibly confused. When the crowd began to disperse, Katsumi mechanically went through the motions of excusing others, bowing gracefully. When it came time to practice again, she decided to forgo the arrow she had been using and just practice the movements. Still, her level of focus was incredible, and the fact that she could barely see the aura of the target was exciting, if not a bit unnerving.

What was going on? She wondered as she decided to go watch others go through the steps. Each of the archers chosen to represent the club were very skilled, but each of them had specialties. For some it was grip and breath control, others relied on marksmanship to cover for the small flaws in technique. Others still were masters of the ceremonial movements. Katsumi was the most well-rounded, but lately, she had become an even stronger archer than she had been. Perhaps her practice was paying off. She was, after all, practicing nearly every day.

The brunette remained silent as she watched Tenchi ready his bow to fire, intently focusing on the movement before her.

Eventually, class settled once more, and all eyes were on Tenchi as he went through the movements, his lithe form graceful as he stood ready to fire. And with a level of precision indicative of his hours of practice, the definitive 'twang' of the string sent the wooden bolt hurtling through the air, running the target through at its very center. And just as skillfully as he'd stood, he then returned to his sitting position, eyes focused downrange as the rest of the class applauded. And to those that paid attention, one could see the corners of the student's mouth turn up ever so slightly.

"Well, I'm afraid that's it for today" Otame-sensei then said about half an hour, now that the students had put their bows away. "Tomorrow we'll begin preparations to leave for the tournament; we'll finalize the role sheet and make sure anyone who wants to join for help is accounted for." Smiling gently, the elderly teacher just stated happily, "You're all progressing excellently. I'll see you all tomorrow!"

And as the class dispersed, Tenchi himself was one of the first to approach Katsumi, "Hey...That was a pretty impressive shot you made. Gotta admit, never seen anything like it." Giving her a smile, he then added with quite the honest confidence, "All I know is that if you do something like that in the tournament, you might just clinch it single-handedly. Keep up the good work, Katsumi." He then smiled and walked off, needing to get to tonight's cram school session.

And while standing close enough to keep an eye on the young woman, Njord and his half-sister could be seen talking, but low enough not to be overheard by others. Though there was still the chance that Katsumi might, especially now that her spirit was awakening. "Brother, are you free now?" Connie asked rather impatiently, to which the Swede responded, "You know the answer to that; I promise we'll find who did this. But right now, we need to stick close; if that was the first attempt, then there are sure to be others."

Katsumi thought she'd heard Njord's voice as the others were breaking down for the night, but she couldn't quite catch what was being said. When she looked, he seemed to be talking to his sister about something important, but she wasn't sure what it was, or how she'd heard him from so far off. Anyway, it was rude to listen to others' conversations. She shook her head and stowed her bow and arrow carefully before heading back to the locker room to change.

"Katsumi, you did a great job today! I was so surprised when your arrow tore through the target. The freshmen said that it even broke through the wall to the range!"

"Oh, wow! Really?! That's amazing, Sango-san!"

"Thank you," the girl said, blushing. "But I'm sure it was just some accident."

"But what about the thing that girl and Njord were talking about? The huntsman's spirit. It really seemed like you channeled it after all!"

"Just what you'd expect from a priestess like her, huh?"

"Priestess? I'm just an acolyte, you guys. I only take care of the shrine..."

"Nuh-uh! You make charms and stuff, too, right? Your whole family does."

"Actually, my dad's a lawyer, so..." she started.

But the girls just kept gossiping, eventually switching the subject back to the Nordic giant and his little half-sister. Before she could get caught up in any more of it, Katsumi hurriedly changed, brushed her hair out and left the locker room, leaving her long hair down for now. Better to just leave it loose than be subjected to more rumors.

With a sigh, she slipped her bag over her shoulder and headed for the bus stop as usual. Little did she know, she was being watched from quite a distance. The time to strike would be soon.

Needless to say, Njord wouldn't exactly be able to give Katsumi a ride home like he would usually try to do. Maybe it was better that he didn't; wouldn't want her getting weirded out even more, especially after today. Njord and Connie waited until Katsumi and the others were out of earshot - something that took a little longer due to some of the other girls casting sultry glances at the Swede, only be encouraged by sly winks that had them leaving in muted giggles - before moving onto their next order of business.

"So, what next?" Connie asked, to which Njord replied, "Now, we wait until evening. The wards around the shrine and the house are strong enough to block out most unwanted guests. Then we go on overwatch, make sure nothing that can break or slip through does so." Connie just rubbed her head, "Sounds horribly boring. I'm surprised you've put up with it for as long as you have, given your 'hot-blooded nature' as you like to put it." Njord just snickered, "You can thank our brother for that. Really helped me get my patience up there."

Motioning with his hand, he then said, "Come on, best we head out. She's not out of the woods yet, not until she reaches home. We gotta tail her; we can ride together." Connie could only huff, "As if, you brute. Being seen with someone like you is so unbecoming..." Njord could only stare; damn it all, that 'better-than-you' side really surfaced at weird and aggravating times. "Connie, is now really the time...." the Swede started, only for Connie to thrust a hand in his face, stating in a haughty tone "Save it. I'll take my own vehicle." before trotting off.

Wait, 'own vehicle'? That statement made Njord stop and stare as his brother walked away. No way this would be good, not with him. Knowing Connie often came with horrifying realizations, and this one made Njord cringe and mutter "Ah, hell...." before running after him. Only to come across a scene he feared all too well.

A porcelain white, shining Lincoln Contiental sat in the dead middle of the parking lot, surrounded by a throng of envious onlookers. Some of the staff had nice enough cars, but nothing like this. This was a car that someone like a company CEO would buy for fun. The wheels were spotless, the rims a very well-polished chrome, the license plate reading 'CONQUER' with the edge surrounded by stones that only could be described as luminous pearls. White leather lined every plausible part of the interior, and worst of all: Connie was walking right towards it.

Njord could only slap a hand over his face and slowly drag it down; figures, he thought. Only Connie would have to pick something so flashy; what was wrong with riding on his bike anyway?

"Hey! All you plebians, back away or else!" he then heard Connie shout, to which they all just said, "Yes, so sorry!" like a group of well-trained guardsmen. Oh great, he was already feeding from his own influence. "Better cool it, Connie; don't make me send you back because you feel like playing kingpin." the Swede muttered mentally; he then heard Connie shout again, "Oi, stupid! Get on your junker and let's go! We've got work to do, you know!" Njord grimaced a little; thank god they were in school, otherwise he'd be getting an asswhooping for that. "Hey, Ru--eh, I mean my bike's not a junker!" he then shouted back, ignoring the jeers and laughs as he went over to said vehicle. "Pay 'im no mind, he's just jealous because you're so damn strong." he then whispered, apparently to the bike itself. And just like that, brother and sister rode off from the school.

Katsumi hadn't actually been expecting to get a ride home from Njord. Still, she was thinking she might see him before he left. She exited the locker room with her gym bag and school bag draped over her shoulder. She smiled and waved at her classmates on her way to the school gate. She had gotten used to taking the bus again while Njord was away.

It had been a strange tradition, though, to meet her favorite big dogs at the bus stops. Today was no exception. She smiled as one of them happily barked at her, it's big tongue lolling as it met her. Katsumi knelt down to hug him, petting his big head. "Hi there, handsome," she said with a giggle. She received a giant doggie kiss in return. The large beast continued to show its affection as she pet him.

"I don't know how you manage to be here every day, but I'm glad you are. I hope your owner isn't mad about it, though," she said, standing back up. The dog snorted as though he didn't care, the growled at a man who had been looking at Katsumi a little too long. When he was gone, the dog stopped. She smiled and pet his head. "Good boy."

Once the bus came, she waved to the dog and boarded, somehow still surprised to find that the dog vanished. She was safe, but probably not for much longer.

It wasn't long before Katsumi had made it home; Njord and Connie were close behind, and the hounds flanked the bus off to the sides - out of sight from Katsumi - so that they could respond in case anything tried to get near the young woman that wasn't supposed to.

Needless to say, the day was done and the young woman had made it home safely. Unaware of the trouble brewing for her.

Tenchi Kyaku, the young man that stood with Katsumi in terms of skill and poise, made it home as well. Exhausted as he was, he knew that his day was just getting started. "Mom? I'm home!" he called out as he took off his shoes, going into the kitchen to grab himself a drink. It was here he noticed a note, from his mother:

"Going to be working late at the hospital tonight. Packed you a bento for dinner. Good luck with your studies. I love you!"

She didn't even bother signing her name; wasn't necessary since his father passed away when he was just two months old. Killed after driving drunk from the hospital. Based on what he'd heard, his father wasn't that great of a person to begin with. Still...His poor mom had to work so hard to raise her son by herself. Wasn't easy in this day and age to be a single parent.

It wasn't really necessary or prudent to dwell on that. "Jeez, so much math homework tonight..." he grumbled as he grabbed the bento from the fridge. He would eat as he studied in his room, or at least that was the plan.

Something he wouldn't get to act on, for soon he felt a shiver run down his spine; it was like something was behind him. He slowly turned around, his nerves raw before he saw that nothing was there. The lad could only breathe in relief, but upon going back to grab his drink, he was met with a horrifying face. One that could only be described as that from the deepest depths of Hell.

He screamed loudly and fell backwards, dropping his bento and spilling the contents everywhere. His body froze in fear at this creature, its beady blood-red eyes staring right at him. Its flesh was leathery and gray, the limbs lanky-looking and skeletal. Its breathing was harsh, ragged, and possessive of a hunger that could only come from the likes of a monster. And while the young man did not know it, this creature was not of the stronger varieties...But then, for what it was about to do, it did not need much in terms of strength.

"Ah, yes...Her aura is all over you. You're close to her." the beast muttered, its voice possessing a haunting hollow echo but the lips not moving in the slightest. "Cl..close to who?" Tenchi stammered, trying to scurry away but the demon placing a clawed foot on his ankle, all the while its wrinkled lips parting into o a sharp-toothed grin. "Yeees....You'll do quite nicely. Soon my master will have her, and he will reward us handsomely for our contribution". it growled, its nightmarish form instantly shifting into a vapor cloud that then enshrouded the young man completely.

Tenchi tried to fight, but he was no match for a beast of the Underworld. And soon, the young man laid still, falling onto his back and his eyes shut as if sleeping. A few moments later, they opened once more, a predatory gleam flashing momentarily through his eyes before returning to their natural warmth. "My master...I promise I will not fail you." the young man said, smiling wickedly as he looked out to the night.

Katsumi's evening was uneventful. Her chores at the shrine went smoothly, her homework too. It was as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened today, and there was a comfort in that. Of course when she stopped to think about today, that comfort went away. A lot had happened, after all. Strange things, surprising things, sad things...and maybe happy things.

She chuckled as she thought of Ami's reaction to Njord's return. The giant had made quite the entrance today. She smiled as she thought of the mischief he'd caused, the awe he'd inspired. What a weirdo. Still, he made life interesting, that was certainly true. Ironic that he'd returned just as their student teacher, Ms. Kumi was leaving.

In the time the young teacher-to-be was around, the two of them had gotten close. They weren't just a teacher and student; it felt like they were really friends. She wondered how the woman was doing now. Where was she? Back home? Or university still? Katsumi missed her already. Maybe, someday, they would meet again. Perhaps all the students could meet her again--she was definitely popular enough to pull off a reunion.

But how funny that even the new transfer student was drawn to Ms. Kumi. Njord's little sister, Connie, certainly had seemed to take a shine to her. Of course, Katsumi was greeted with indifference, or thinly veiled contempt. What was it the girl had said? She didn't see what all the fuss was about? What did that mean? Had she heard some rumors or something? Or was Njord talking about her? And why? Her face went warmer and she blushed, not really sure why that made her smile. It wasn't like they were close or anything. And if Njord was talking about her, it was probably to tell his sister about his pranks.

She rolled her eyes and brushed out her hair again. Of course, Connie seemed more level-headed than her brother. At least she was more together. Today's archery incident bothered her, but Connie's explanation was oddly calming. It made a lot of sense, actually. But how had she accessed that level of clarity? That kind of power? She bit her lip and put down the brush, sighing. Thinking about it now would do her no good. She would just have to practice more.

What else had happened? Oh, yeah, her classmate had joined her study group. That would be nice.

Suddenly she felt very tired, so she changed and got into bed, falling into a deep sleep full of fevered dreams...oddly, she saw Tenchi's face, but instead of his usual smile, he looked sinister...twisted. And then he attacked.

--Elsewhere--

Kumi hadn't been back at her post long before she was sent back into the field. She was investigating for her master at Njord's request. She had only just arrived at her destination, but it was already clear that something big was under way. Frowning, the servant set to work gathering information from the shadows.

--Elsewhere--

The Underworld was many things to many people. By and large, it was a prison realm for those that had been far too violent in their lives and were appropriately sentenced. Certain areas held different appeals, and could very easily be considered what mortals called 'theme parks'. It was unlike the mortal realm or the Upper Plane in so far that it had everything. And through the chaos of so many mixed beings and rulers, a semblance of order was somehow maintained. Mostly it was due to WHO it was that ruled the various portions of this largely dreary realm, but even still it was impressive with the wide variety of residents that called this realm home.

Regardless, the search that Kumi was tasked with was for one specific individual. One whose true intentions had been twisted by the foolish words of man. And one who would not be easy to find, despite his 'extravagance' as he often described it. There was quite a gathering near a large castle of gold, an equally splendid throne set with only the rarest jewels sitting at the forefront. In its seat, a portly man - dressed in fine robes and his pudgy fingers bespeckled with countless rings and piercings - looked down upon the gathering of what could only be his faithful.

"Where is the girl?!" he shouted angrily at two individuals in particular, his voice carrying an aura of power despite his largely non-imposing appearance. "M-my lord, please...'He' is clearly tasked with guarding her. It would be suicide to try anything while under his watch." The other then added, "And now his brother's involved; help us all if he finds evidence of involvement." The man in the throne clenched his fingers on the handle of the over-rich seat, stating "I do not care! She is vital! Time is running out, and if it does pass, the consequences will pass onto you all as well! Do what you must! Just bring her to me!"

Kumi hadn't been in the room with the conspirators, but her informants had been. Though she suspected the intentions of the target to be confirmed, she hadn't really expected to find out so quickly. Unfortunately for Kumi, however, finding the brains behind the movement would be no small task. Not only was this mission dangerous, it was also difficult. The fact that her master had sent her at all showed just how important it was to get the information requested. So it was that she set a plan in motion to get her closer to her objective. Maybe once this mission was over she could claim some time off and just relax somewhere.

-------

Katsumi shot up in bed like a bullet. Her heart was pounding as she shivered in a cold sweat. Just what had she eaten before bed? And why had it been Tenchi who attacked her? Frowning, she put her hands to her face and tried her best to calm down on her own. Her dreams had become more mysterious lately. It almost seemed that she was clairvoyant. Her dreams gave her much deja vu, and they were becoming more violent as of late. What did it mean? Why was this happening to her? Sighing, she forced her breathing to slow and then got up to look out the window at the stars for awhile.

Njord felt the massive spike as Katsumi's body shot itself awake; seemed she had quite a fright. "Guess her spiritual awareness is sharper than before; pretty soon she'll even be able to see you, brother. Kumi-san's spellwork is divine; I wish I could be as talented as her like that." Connie commented dreamily, 'her' eyes starting to sparkle in amazement. The Swede stated in huff, giving his brother a light tap on the head, "Oi, stay on task; now's the time for fantasizing."

Still, Connie was right on one point: It wouldn't be long before she was able to perceive more powerful entities, himself included. Giving a sigh, Njord added "Though hopefully she doesn't get that ability any time soon. If she were to see the real me too early, I don't know if her spirit could take it." He wasn't trying to be arrogant here, but his presence alone could cause as much destruction as him actually doing anything. And mortals especially were incredibly vulnerable to his influences. And with how immature her powers were...It might be very well too much for the young lady.

Both of them noticed the presence off in the distance, their gazes looking to the east as they pondered what to do. "Should we investigate?" Connie asked, to which Njord replied, "You go...I am unfortunately rooted here for the night, much as I would love to fight something right now." Truth be told, all this having to check his strength was probably the greatest test of patience he'd ever had. Mentally, this was his most trying assignment to date; and despite his initial screw-ups, he felt he was doing OK. Not great, but OK. Connie huffed, "Just like you, always wanting to put your fist in something, you meathead. Fine, but don't dare try anything while I'm gone!" And just like that, the raven-haired woman was off; Njord still couldn't figure out WHY Connie couldn't just force some sap of a henchman to be his vessel.

The night went on without incident, and Connie's initial findings showed that there was nothing around. The strange presence had vanished as quickly as it appeared, and given that it wasn't near Katsumi at all, they had focused more on more immediate threats. Though the Swede did command his brother to keep looking around, try to find out what exactly caused that surge. It was better to be safe than sorry, after all, especially where Katsumi was concerned. And because of this, Connie was away from Njord up to the day of the archery tournament.

Having traveled to Nishi Senior High by bus, they would be competing against the team from Hakuo Senior High School, giving their team the 'home-field advantage'. Not that such a thing existed, since the judges for these weren't affiliated with the school anyway. And as of now, Njord worked with several of the members from both sides to help set up the targets for the competition. The school's range was adequate enough, but it still felt incredibly stuffy.

And so far things were going well, the students who were competing lining up and waiting for the commencement of the tournament match to begin. Tenchi, while appearing normal on the outside, instead lurked behind the young woman. "Master will be glad to have you, young lady...And I'll finally be able to move up in the ranks." the demon thought, his voice adding as Tenchi's normal one "Katsumi-san...Let's do our best today, alright? The students from Hakuo are quite good, and placed first in last year's tournament...So let's show them what we can do!"

Days later, the tournament was finally taking place. Katsumi and the other archers were prepared, and those who hadn't been experienced enough to qualify were asked to help maintain equipment and fetch arrows from targets and ranges. Katsumi and the other, more senior archers were lined up and ready to go. In her archery gear, she seemed more like a priestess than anything, but no one would dare say that to her while she was lined up with them.

The brunette felt a bit of a chill as Tenchi spoke to her. Something just didn't seem right about him, but he seemed to be his usual, cheerful self. Maybe she was imagining it...but she just couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Flashes of her nightmare--the one where Tenchi had attacked her--startled her a bit, but she masked that with a lovely, but ultimately false smile.

"Yes. Let's do our best," she agreed. Katsumi turned to the crowd, wondering if her parents had decided to come after all. Her father was a rare visitor--his hours kept him quite busy--but her mother might show up before long. Sometimes, after she finished maintenance, she would close the shrine to the public a bit early to come watch.

And with that greeting out of the way, the announcers called forth the contestants: The three furthest away from the bleacher seats were from Hakuo, the three closest to them were from Nishi. And Njord would see that this was no ordinary competition, possessing a much more controlled and steady pacing to it. Contrary to most other countries, these ceremonial displays of talent were exceptionally silent. So much so that one could be reminded of the famous piece ' 4'33" ' by pianist John Cage. Tenchi was positioned directly next to Katsumi and more than a few times, she might catch him giving her wayward glances for no apparent reason.

Once setup was complete, the other students would be seated behind the archers. Themselves kneeling with their yumi in hand and awaiting their rotation. First would go the Hakou team, their three archers readying their first set of four arrows apiece. Two of them managed to hit all four on the small targets downrange, each one striking in succession with small 'thacks'. The last member of their team, however, would miss his last shot and disqualify him. Next would come Nishi's team, first up being Tenchi himself. Going through the motions, he seemed to move with an uncharacteristic shakiness, however slight it was. the demon's possession not exactly perfect for the ingrained subtlety that he had developed through rigorous practice.

This was something that Njord had noticed; Tenchi might not have been their best, but such a shot was something he knew the young man could pull off easily. What should have been a bullseye turned to his arrow striking just inside the outermost edge of the target. "The hell's going on..." the Swede thought; he didn't really notice until now, having focused on Katsumi, but he was feeling something different about him.

(Feel free to skip ahead to the end of it if you like)

Katsumi was surprised at her fellow-student's results, but she didn't have time to focus too intently on them. It only served to stoke the idea of something being wrong in her mind. She frowned and forced herself to clear her mind as she took the familiar stance, her ceremonial archery easily at its peak. The movements looked natural, rather than rehearsed and methodical (as they actually were). She let her arrow fly true, striking the very center of the small target with such satisfying accuracy that she couldn't help but smirk.

She calmly returned to her normal stance and waited for the other archers on her team to finish. She caught Tenchi looking at her. Somehow, she didn't think his odd behavior and shaky shooting was just nerves. For someone who had wanted to do his best, he was really off his game.

Katsumi kept a safe distance from him, feeling naturally guarded, wondering what was wrong. If her mother had been there, she might have realized what was happening sooner. As it was, however, Katsumi remained in the dark and vulnerable until the end of the tournament, which they managed to place in, despite Tenchi's errors.

The tournament went on and Tenchi's poor performance threatened to actually completely disqualify them from this tournament match; however, Katsumi and her other teammate were able to pull through, unseating Hakuo from the tournament meet with a resounding victory. The next meet wouldn't be for a few weeks, but with everything that was going on, it was slowly starting to seem like she might not even make it there.

Katsumi's mother was in the stands, watching her daughter perform so well; her father was not, having been stuck at work. Probably for the better since what was about to happen next would probably shake the foundations of what everyone knew.

"Tenchi...I'll admit I was not expecting this from you. You were doing so well in practice" said Otame-sensei to the young man, himself replying as he bowed his head apologetically "Ah...Sorry, I suppose it was nerves...Next time, Sensei, I will do much better next time." The kyudo instructor just sighed, "Well, I suppose I cannot be too upset. But I would like you to meet with me after school one more day a week to refresh you on form and poise."

And soon, Tenchi approached Katsumi as she might be talking with her mother, stating "Katsumi...I just wanted to apologize for my poor performance today. I have no idea what happened..." His mouth was saying what should be said, but if she looked closely she would notice a predatory undertone in those deep blue hues of his. Something unnatural, definitely not a look the normal Tenchi ever possessed.

Tenchi's abysmal performance certainly had been disappointing, but even more distressing was the fact that this was not like Tenchi at all. It was as though he had completely forgotten how to handle a bow. On top of the lingering feeling that something was not quite right with him, this seemed to settle the fact that something was very wrong. Katsumi felt in her bones that she shouldn't be alone with him and did her best to stay away, but it seemed that he would continue to follow her.

"I'm so proud of you, Katsumi! You did such a wonderful job! You were the best archer here today. And such focus!"

Katsumi blushed as she accepted the praise from her mother, pleased that she'd done so well. "Thanks, mom."

"It's too bad about your team mate, though. Is everything alright?"

"About that. I was wondering if maybe--"

"Katsumi...I just wanted to apologize for my poor performance today. I have no idea what happened."

The girl whirled around at her name, surprised that the very person she had hoped to stay away from had found her so quickly. As she looked into her eyes, she unconsciously took a step back, immediately on alert, her body forming a smaller target as she prepared to defend herself.

Katsumi's mother, on the other hand, saw more than just the strange look in his eyes. Upon closer inspection, it was clear that this young man was under the influence of a particularly strong entity--and that entity was hostile.

"Excuse me," she said sharply. "I do hope you'll understand, but I'm not finished speaking with my daughter," she said, stepping in front of Katsumi, her hand immediately taking hold of a charm in her pocket. "You'll have to forgive us for leaving early." She said it with a friendly look on her face, but her tone was ice cold.

Katsumi watched her mother, confused just a bit by her mother's reaction. Until she realized--she wasn't just imagining things. Her mother's spiritual awareness was well-honed and if she saw that something wasn't right, then Katsumi had been right to stand back.

"Mom..."

"Stay back, Katsumi." She pulled the charm out of her pocket and held it at the ready, praying with all her might that the evil presence in the boy in front of her didn't get a chance to attack before she could drive it out.

Katsumi and her mother had good reason to be concerned: Even the lowest demons of the Underworld were nothing to be disregarded when it came to levels like those of even gifted humans. And this one, while not particularly strong in comparison to most others, was still just as dangerous.

And once the demon saw the charm, it paused, just grinning at the woman. Seeming to glance over it so casually, he then mentally cast it aside. "So...Seems I've been found out. Yes, my good Lord will be very pleased to meet someone with such a strong lineage like yourself." the young man said, his voice possessing a more sinister yet smooth quality. Oh yes, it could hear the pleas of its meatsuit to stop...But the boy was no match for his overwhelming presence. "Charms, huh? You mortals cling to that sort of thing so dearly it's almost amusing...Almost. Though I suppose I can't fault you for it; it does work on our lesser brethren quite nicely..." His eyes then seemed to flash dangerously, "But you've got no chance of it working on me."

Just then, however, a bone-chilling howl echoed through the air making him pause...Followed by two more, and soon the black dogs seemed to land heavily in front of the demon. Their lips were curled into vicious snarls, foaming at the mouth to tear anyone that would threaten someone they viewed as a friend and ally apart. "Hellhounds, eh? You've got more tricks up your sleeve than I thought...I'm impressed." the demon complimented back-handedly, the dogs snarling more angrily, readying to attack as a choking black wave of energy starting to rise from behind Tenchi. "But these little pups are not match for someone li----"

He stopped there as someone shouted "Stay!" And when he felt someone else approach, his body's eyes looked to his left to see a familiar face...And it seemed to make the possessed young man's face blanch in absolute, abject terror. "Those would be my little pups you're insulting." said Njord, a very displeased scowl on his face. "Y-you...Why are YOU here?!" the demon shouted; he'd heard someone powerful was guarding her, but never in his wildest dreams would it be HIM. Njord's mouth turned up into a little smirk, "Special request." before moving to grip the bracelet on his arm.

"No...I won't fail!" the demon shouted, black smoke erupting from Tenchi's mouth as the demon entered spirit form and went straight for Mai, his meatsuit falling unconscious. If anything, it could take her mother hostage and try to leverage that to making Katsumi come to them.

"Sic 'im, boys!"

That was what he heard before the dogs all leaped up and jumped on top of him, their snarling maws clamping down as he tried to struggle. Saving the women from whatever trickery he might have been trying to pull. But it seemed this one was certainly quite powerful, a dark energy roaring up and throwing the dogs off of himself...Now revealed in its full ugly glory. "This isn't over, Rider!" it hissed before disappearing, making Njord cringe; shit, that was right in front of Katsumi too. And her mother.

Katsumi had been prepared to fight, but the instant her mother stepped in and took out a charm, whatever had taken place here was out of her control for sure. The scene that had unfolded before her was so surreal. She could barely comprehend what was happening. Tenchi seemed to have been possessed by some sort of demon. It appeared that his goal really had been to harm her all along. So her dream from a few nights go had been a premonition.

She felt herself go a bit pale as she realized just how badly this could have ended. It prattled on and on about how it was too powerful for charms and how the likes of them would not stop it from getting to Katsumi. Her eyes widened as the dogs from the shrine appeared to protect her, only to answer to Njord's beckoning.

What. The. Hell.

Its true form was just a bit hazy to Katsumi, but Mai understood all too well what it was. She leveled a rather steely smile at Njord's and put a vice like grip on his shoulder, her spiritual power emanating strongly from her.

"Oh, young man? I believe we have much to talk about. I want to thank you for saving us." The way she said it was abjectly terrifying and her gaze could have frozen a volcano over for the pleasant smile she wore. Mai would not be denied. Even Karsumi was a little afraid.

Still, she managed to pull herself together and stand up straight as she said, "Yes. I think we could all use some answers. But not here," she said glancing around at the archers.

Njord cursed in the depths of his mind; he knew he had done the right thing, but at the same time he had wished things to be revealed...Less suddenly. Mortals by and large were quite fragile when it came to challenging what they perceived as reality, but he did feel grateful that maybe he could finally drop the act. He hoped, at the very least, that the powers Katsumi and Mai possessed would grant him some leeway in trying to work around how to break it to them that her daughter had caught the interest of a god.

"Yes...Not here." he replied, adding with a sheepish grin "Mind if we go back to your place? Mine's not exactly...welcoming."

Back at the Sango residence, Tenchi was purified of demon essence and granted a charm to ward against evil spirits; thankfully, Otoya had yet to return. Which meant that the Swede was at the complete mercy of whatever questions they might have. Not that he minded; he despised secrecy at its core, and had wanted for so long to just tell it to Katsumi what was happening. But now, at the very least D couldn't be all pissed off that B was planning on surprising her.

And with his motorcycle parked out front, Njord was currently seated at the main table with Katsumi and her mother. "Well...Clearly my devilish good looks aren't going to get me out of this one." Letting out a cough, he then asked, "So....What exactly did you two want to know?"

At least with this, he would let them dictate what they wanted to know...Unaware that a certain someone was listening in.

Katsumi helped Tenshi after his purification. The poor guy was very shaken up, so she did her best to allay his fears even as he profusely apologized. It wasn't his fault, after all. It could have happened to just about anyone. She told him to take it easy and sent him on his way as Mai watched Njord like a hawk.

Otoya would probably work late tonight, but even if he showed up early, he needed to know what was happening just as much as she did. Maybe more. Despite being openly agitated, she prepared tea and snacks and set them in the middle of the table for all to enjoy, but she sat across from Njord interrogation style, her shrewd gaze piercing through him. It was clear that Katsumi had inherited more than just her good looks from her mother.

When Katsumi returned, she sat next to her mother, looking a bit shaken and dubious herself. The only one who could answer her questions wasn't exactly known for being easy to get answers out of.

"First of all," Mai said, righteous outrage lacing her voice. "Who the hell are you?"

Yes. That would be a good place to start. It appeared that Katsumi's instincts had been correct about him--he was clearly not a student. What was a grown man doing trying to infiltrate a high school like this?

It was kind of refreshing to be here, instead of the small dump that served as his cover. And even though he'd been made in the sense that his disguise was compromised, they likely still had no idea who he really was,. And during the ride over, he'd been very well informed about the consequences of revealing his true identity.

And her first question was.all too expected. If he was not an exchange student from Sweden, then who was the hirsute titan masquerading as a high school student?

Taking a strawberry and popping it into his mouth, he waited for a few moments before answering, in a far more serious tone and speech pattern that Katsumi probably wouldn't expect from the overgrown punch happt goof she'd known, "First...Thank you for your hospitality. As to who I am, that's a little difficult to explain. I'm not exactly a who...More of a what."

"Tread carefully, brother...I'm watching you like a hawk." Njord then heard D say to him and making him pause, the giant responding mentally "Would you quit nagging? I already promised not to tell them...Just let me handle this." At the very least this seemed to make him back off a little, Njord resuming "The truth is, Miss Sango, that your daughter has attracted the attention of this shrine's god. I am what your people refer to as a Shinigami, and he has asked that I watch over her and her family. As you saw today, other...less savory...individuals caught wind of this interest and seek to take her for themselves."

Of course, he expected there would be more questions and maybe even some doubt about his intentions. But he was ready to answer them all if need be.

Back
Top Bottom