Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Something Ordinary (Reydan & Andnich123)

Reydan

Supporter
Supporter
Oliver Reynolds, known to everyone as Oli, ran his hands through his short dark brown hair. A little over six foot, the young man's short hair and close cropped beard finished off a fairly average body. Not too skinny or too fat he still looked like the guy who'd played a little baseball in college. Given the unusually hot September weather he was glad he'd just picked a plain dark green shirt and some washed out old jeans to wear.

The little supermarket in this small town part of West Virginia was packed. He'd thought one of the few advantages of moving to a new town in the middle of nowhere would have been that there would have been fewer people around. Yet the aisles were crowded and what had originally been a short trip to the Walmart imitator to pick up some household essentials for his new house was turning into a grind. He drummed his fingers on the handle of the shopping cart impatiently as he waited for the old couple in front of him to finish considering which brand of coffee they wanted.

Moving to Williamsville, West Virginia was a new start for him. Now twenty six Oli Reynolds was a man with a desire to start a new, adult life afresh. He'd originally moved to Chicago for college and then stayed, enchanted by everything about the place. The frantic pace, the huge sprawling urban environment, and the crush of people had appealed. But a spate of crappy events had spoiled his youthful excitement. Loosing his job, the mugging, breaking up wi....

He shook his head. Enough. New start. That was what this was all about, really, a new start. No use dwelling on what had happened. He squeezed past the old couple, still browsing instant coffees, and continued on.

After a long, hot, annoying hour and a half, Oli was finally outside and in the Autumn sunshine. He pushed the laden cart across the tarmac to his car to find himself blocked in by a little red car. He'd parked near the wall of the carpark, so as to be able to get out quickly, but now a young woman had pulled in close to him and seemed to be struggling to clean up a small kid in the space where he needed to get at the trunk of his car.

Hot and bothered, the usually calm young man leaned on the handlebar of his cart and said "Excuse me lady but do you mind getting the hell out of the way?"

Elizabeth Elders looked up into the rearview mirror at the smiling little girl trying her best to get the crackers into her mouth. Her tiny fingers coated with mashed and matted crumbs as she reached for her mother hearing her giggle and sigh in contentment at the sight. “No thank you sweetie,” was all she had to tell her to get the child to continue feeding herself from the small bag she held.

Cindy was the light of her life. She had become a driving force her. Her life in the city had been a good one. Elizabeth and her husband had moved from the comfort of the small town when he took a job there. Cindy came along five years ago. Elizabeth was just 19 then, and David was just starting his career training at his father’s company. As good as life was at that moment, things would equally take a turn for the worse. She didn’t like to think about it anymore though. It’s best to leave the past behind was her philosophy. It had taken all of her courage to pack up and move Cindy back home, but it was a choice she never regretted. David was becoming a fleeting memory.

She waved at the various people in town that they knew on her way to the market. Today was grocery shopping day, and though it was an ordinary task, Cindy looked forward to spending the time with her mother. Elizabeth had committed herself to being the best mother she could possibly be. That meant allotting time with her daughter to do everything. She would take her to work if she could. Instead her sister was more than happy to sit for her. With the sounds of The Wheels on the Bus filling the car, she was constantly checking on her child as she pulled the car into the parking lot. She released her seat belt and opened the back door getting Cindy out. She kneeled in the parking lot as she cleaned the child’s face. The child laughed as her mother made several passes with a tissue revealing the clean face beneath. The entire time she smiled and talked to her daughter drinking in the sight of her, watching her eyes as they shifted over her shoulder. Before she could ask or turn to see, she heard the voice. Anger surged through her instantly, and she slowly rose turning to face him. “How dare you speak to me like that and in front of my child too. You can wait you impatient….bad man.” Cindy kept watching the man even as her mother leaned back down to finish cleaning her up. “Man mommy.”
“I know sweetie. I know.”

He sighed audibly, and leant on the handlebars of the cart, tapping his fingers impatiently on the metal, making an obvious drumming sound. Usually Oli wouldn't have dreamed of being so rude, even seeing this happen would have made him cringe, but he was hot and tired and stressed out about starting his new job in the morning.

"Honestly lady" he finally snapped and, when she moved her child eventually, he pushed past and, shoving his stuff into his trunk, pulled out and swept away.

The following morning he set off from his little house for work. Schuman's was a tiny firm that shipped stuff across the country and he had found a place in their office filling out shipping forms and processing orders. It was, to be honest, a little basic given his college transcripts, but the economy was in the pan and he really needed anything that would get him out of Chicago and into a small town somewhere halfway across the country.

Mr Schuman, a short tubby little man, smiled at him warmly. He was a short black man, with greying hair and a kind smile, and he pumped Oli's hand enthusiastically. "We're a pretty small outfit here" he smiled as he led him across the office floor. He wasn't kidding. There were maybe a dozen people in the office. "There are more in the warehouse" Mr Schuman smiled, clearly registering Oli's thoughts, "But we're only a little company".

"Its fine" Oli replied. And it really was. It was the sort of quiet anonymity that he wanted. This would be a perfect place to start over. Just a guy in his mid twenties working an office job and living a normal life. Everything he wanted to slip into since leaving Chicago. Here he could just be a nice guy.

"I'm going to hand you over to one of our best" Mr Schuman was saying, opening a door to the small office kitchen, where a young woman was sitting at the table. And Oli's heart sank. "This is Lizzy Elders" his new boss was saying, smiling warmly from one to other of them, "she's an angel. Think we'd have sunk last year without her. Lizzy'll show you the ropes".

And there, before him, sat the woman from the supermarket. The one with the little girl. The one he'd been rude to. Oli just wanted the ground to open up and swallow him then and there.

"Hi" he murmured lamely as she looked up at him.

At the door to the supermarket, Elizabeth turned while holding Cindy's hand and watched him pull out of the parking lot. "He was mad." She squeezed her daughter's hand giving her a smile. "Yeah sweetie. He was mad. Mad man," she laughed before taking her inside.

The next morning her sister showed up bright and early ready to take care of Cindy for her. Cindy was always happy to see her aunt. Running and screaming her name she always leapt into her arms. Elizabeth was running around putting on her shoes and telling her what needed to be done. Marissa simply smiled as she held Cindy reassuring her, "I've got this Lizzie. Get to work. You can't be late. Say bye mommy." Cindy giggled and waved to her, "bye mommy."
"You two think you're cute. I'm serious Marissa. She has a check up this afternoon and a play date right after that. I'll be home late today because I have to show the new hire the ropes. So expect me late, but I have hamburger meat in the fridge for dinner. I don't care what you make with it."
"How about I make it disappear and order pizza?" Elizabeth stopped giving her an annoyed stare. "Alright. I know. You don't like the kid eating that kind of stuff. I'll make something with it."
"Good. Don't forget her veggies." Marissa and Cindy both made sour faces behind her back before she kissed her daughter good-bye and was out the door.

Every morning seemed to be much like this one. She was always running late, but she never forgot to make sure her daughter was well taken care. She was glad for the busy, yet simple, pace this small town offered. It was part of what appealed to her drawing her back in after what happened the last time she left town. The memories always seemed to come back to her as she was driving into work every morning. It was one of the few quiet times she got, and her throughts always seemed to travel along for the ride.

She pulled into the parking lot and just managed to get inside the kitchen area as her boss' voice drifted in the building. He was clearly talking to the new hire, she thought, as she closed the door quietly and took a seat at the table. She kept looking at the table even as the door opened, not bothering to look up until she heard Mr. Schuman introduce her. "You," was all she could utter as her boss gave a confused glance between the two of them. "You two know each other," he asked. "Sort of," she smirked as she rose folding her arms. Her body language, the tone in her voice as her eyes swept over him sizing him up, clearly showing her distain for this man already. "Well then," her boss chimed in. "I'll leave you two to it." He disappeared from the door, and Elizabeth never took her eyes off him. "Well then. I guess we should get started. I know you don't like to waste time."

God. He'd never felt as small in his life. The way she stood, sweeping her eyes over with with a dismissive look, with that smirk on her lips. It made Oli feel like something that she'd just scraped off the bottom of her shoe. He wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.

He opened his mouth to speak but she got there first with a snarky comment about not wasting time. He flinched a little at that. Then he grinned. Fuck it. This was his new start. He HAD to make this work. There was no going back. He'd just have to pick up the pieces and get things back on the right path.

"I deserve that" he said, rubbing his hand through his hair in embarrassment, "for what its worth, I'm sorry for being an ass."

That was all he really got to say for the next three hours. Lizzie was an efficient worker, as Mr Schuman had said, and he found himself rushed off his feet with all of the detail that she showed him. Forms and files and various ways of working were explained in rapid fire succession, and it was all he could do to keep pace. It was bewildering. He'd always thought that office work, for someone like him with a good college degree, would be simple, but he quickly came to realise he'd be treading water like crazy just to keep afloat for the first couple of weeks.

Her desk, it turned out, was next to his. The office was divided up by those little cubicle walls that you saw in offices all over the country and the two of them were boxed in a corner with their desks, computers, and a copy machine. Sitting in her swivel chair, she turned to him, finally, and indicated that she'd finished.

Oli let out a breath. It was all quite overwhelming. And then there was Elizabeth Elders. He frowned. He still had to do something about that. Looking up, he spotted that the clock was just passing midday. A number of their coworkers were already heading out for lunch. He smiled at the woman opposite. "Lizzie" he began, then stopped, blushing a little, "...Sorry, do you mind if I call you Lizzie? Or do you prefer Elizabeth? Can I take you for a cup of coffee or something? Maybe a little lunch? Just as a way of saying sorry for the other day and as a way of saying thanks for showing me the ropes?" He smiled, trying desperately to break the ice between them.

“You should be,” was all she said before she pushed past him leading him out into the office area. Elizabeth wasted no time introducing him to everyone and showing him his desk. Sadly it was close to her own, but she would have to endure. With any luck, he won’t last anyway. This is not his type of job, town, or anything really. He’s clearly a fish out of water here.

Keeping her thoughts her own, she remained busy most of the morning showing him all the ins and outs of the job. Some people might think an office job is a simple one. The reality of it is that it’s a fast paced environment. It’s almost a dance of the various tasks combined with the speed required to complete them all. You either know the moves or get kicked around. He’ll make a good punching bag; she smiled as the thought crossed her mind.

Her fingers flew on her keyboard as she made sure all the shipments were going exactly where they needed to, when they needed to, and on time. Every so often her eyes would glance over and catch him as he was trying his best at a job that was brand new to him. Fish out of water she thought. It was his offer that made her stop and look over at him. “Really? Alright,” she said pushing away from her desk. “If we’re going to do this, then let’s just do this right now. I prefer Elizabeth. Only my friends and family call me Lizzie. You’re neither.” Standing she continued. “As for lunch, or coffee, or anything else, forget it. You don’t have to pretend to want to be my friend. I’m fine with just being co-workers.” She was oblivious to the blush across his cheeks as she spoke her mind. “As for showing you the ropes, you don’t need to thank me. It’s my job. It’s what I’m paid to do. Nothing more. Never think that is. Understand?”

Taking her phone out she hit the button to dial her home. “Hi. How did the check-up go? So everything is fine? That’s the best news! Thank you so much for taking her. Yeah. She can have one, small ice cream cone. Nothing else. Now listen to me. Don’t spoil her. Tell her mommy loves her. I’ll see you two when I get home. I’m going to run now and eat my lunch.” She ended the call looking over at him. “What? Haven’t you ever watched a mother find out about her daughter?” She put her phone away feeling bad for how she was treating him. Remember….David. Remember David, she thought. “I’ll be in the kitchen,” she told him walking away.

His eyebrows shot up a little as she put him in his place so effectively. As she flipped out her cell phone he spun in his chair back to face his own desk and ran his hand through his hair. Shipping details and order forms and thousands of other small figures and fragments of text were scattered across the screen and Oli blew out a long breath. This was going to be a very long day. Trapped in a small cubicle with a job he didn't fully understand and a co-worker who hated his guts.

He hardly listened to her phone conversation, so lost in consideration was he, but he heard her finish and half turned to look back at her. Only to have her snap at him as if he'd been eavesdropping. Then she was up and gone for her lunch. He had a sudden, stupid, moment of realisation where it struck him that the child she was talking about was, obviously, the one she'd had with her at the supermarket the other day. He idly wondered who was looking after her. It must be tough being Elizabeth Elders and struggling to juggle a child and work.

Oli fumed for a few minutes, idly filling out order forms and letting his anger simmer down. He had to reach deep to remember the lessons. To remember why he was here and why he needed to keep a reign on his anger. He sighed, a deep tired breath, as he finally finished a form that, with Elizabeth's help earlier, had taken two minutes not the fifteen he just had worked through on his own. He sat back, frowning at the monitor, knowing that he needed her. Maybe she didn't want to be friends. That was fine - it was her call. But he needed to win her over to a point where she was, at least, civil to him in the workplace and he could ask her for help without having his head bitten off. He rubbed his forehead with his fingers. Into the Lion's Den, he thought to himself, that was the only way.

The kitchen was small, merely some counters and a fridge and coffee machine and kettle, and Elizabeth sat at the only table. There was no-one else in the room. He smiled a little at her as he entered, fiddling with the coffee machine whilst he summoned his courage, and then sat opposite her with a cup in his hand. "Did you want one?" he asked, gesturing over at the machine "I'd be more than happy to make one for you..." He sighed. Be nice. Be a better person. That was what coming to Williamsville was all about. "Look, Elizabeth, I'm sorry. I had no right to be such an ass to you in that car park. In front of your little one no less. She's quite a sweetie by the way." He grinned, hoping he was melting the ice. "I don't deserve it, but is there any chance we could start over afresh? We don't have to be best friends just....just I'd like to get on with the people I'm starting work with".

She had sat down at the table playing with her salad more than eating it. Try as she may she was not keeping thoughts of David away today. This new hire wasn’t helping much. Why did he have to insist on being so nice? She didn’t want him to be nice. She never asked him to be nice. He had to want something from her. Nobody is ever nice without wanting something. That had become part of her new philosophy on life. Everybody always wants something. Nobody ever does anything nice unless they want something from you. You can’t trust people. Nothing in, nothing out. That was how she was going to keep herself safe.

She was wrapped up remind herself of her own self imposed rules and logic when he walked into the kitchen. She shifted slightly in her chair as he had his back turned to her at the coffee machine. Glancing over, she took notice of the curves and muscles in his back. He’s a man Lizzie! You can’t trust him. Looking down at her bowl as her fork stabbed at the lettuce, she felt him sit down. “No thanks,’ she snapped. “Coffee doesn’t go well with salad. I have my water.” She grinned hearing his apology. He was clearly trying, and there was a part of her that wanted to accept and move forward. That same part, she reminded herself, is the same part that got your heart broken. “Look,” she began pushing her bowl away. “We have to work together, that’s true, and if you want my help, all you have to do is ask. I’ll do my job. I’ll help you. You are right about two things though. You had no right to be such an ass and we don’t have to best friends. We don’t even have to be friends at all. All we have to be is co-workers.” She stood up slamming her chair under the table and picked up her bowl carrying it over to the sink to clean. He’s only trying to be nice. Just because you’re friends with the guy doesn’t mean you’ll end up in bed with him. Come on Lizzie. You can let your guard down some. I’m gonna regret this, she thought. Sighing she turned around and told him, “I’ll help you. I know the job can be overwhelming at first, and nobody deserves to just get by. I’ll stay with you until you know the ropes. Any questions you might have, just ask. Fair enough?” She grabbed a paper towel and wiped out her bowl. Sure she had dumped most of her salad into the trash, but today she just didn’t have an appetite. “Do you have any questions? Is there anything you want to know more about?”

He frowned as he watched her dump her salad and turn to face him. He glanced at her, watching her sharp movements, and concern flitted across his face. Was she eating enough? A third of a salad hardly seemed like a good lunch. Why did he care, he suddenly asked himself, but he found he did. Found he actually quite liked Elizabeth despite her sharp exterior. There was something - passionate - about her. Capable.

Listening to her words Oli frowned a little deeper. He clearly wasn't quite getting through to her given her angry tirade. Then again, maybe she didn't want to be friends. That was Elizabeth's right. She was fair enough in her observation that they only needed to be colleagues. He sighed, blowing out his cheeks as he tried to think what to say next.

"I guess what would really help me is if you went through the shipping forms again" he said grinning wryly. "Slowly I'm afraid. Just imagine I'm the dumb guy who was stupid enough to hassle you in the car park the other day!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the day went quite slowly. Oli finally seemed to get the hang of the work a little before the end of the working day, sending off forms without any glaring mistakes. Much, if not all, of that was due to Elizabeth's help. She was a wizard with the machine and was also really very talented at explaining the various functions and small tasks in a way he could get his head around.

She had left a few minutes before him, finally leaving him to it now he had the hang of the system, but as he left the office and into the darkening parking lot outside he saw her standing, cell-phone out, by her car. The hood was up and she looked annoyed.

"Elizabeth?" he called, walking over to her, seeing her stressed out face, "can I give you a lift anywhere?" Peering into the engine of the car he guessed, from a preliminary glance, that it would be going nowhere that evening unless it was on a tow-truck.

"I really don't mind" he smiled at her as she glanced over at him. "Consider it a little payment for helping me out earlier."

She forced a smile as all he really wanted was more help. That was what she was here for. After all, she had been with the company a lot longer, and she had to remind herself she knew what it was like to be new and in over her head. “Sure. No problem.”

She spent the day showing him more, breaking it down into smaller pieces so it wasn’t so much for him to digest. Truthfully she had jumped in throwing everything at him at once. That was unfair to him, and his performance had suffered. Now that she was actually showing him, working with him, the way she was suppose to, he was picking up rather quickly. She knew when to back off as he began to take to the job with ease. She wasn’t far away. If he needed any help, she was right there over his shoulder simply telling him what he needed to do so that he could perform the actions and begin to form some sort of repetition as a learning tool. It was working fine, and as the day was drawing closer to a close, she decided to let him fly solo.

She had gathered her belongings and headed to her car. Turning the key, it was clear her old faithful car would not be going anywhere. “Oh come on,” she whispered laying her head against the steering wheel. “I have to get home. Come on baby. Start for momma.” With every try, the engine sounded weaker and weaker, and her hopes it starting began to evaporate. She lifted the hood as if she had any idea what was going and took out her phone. “Yeah. Hi Marissa. Look I’m gonna be late getting home tonight. My car won’t start. I’m gonna call up a tow truck, but I have no idea how long it’ll be. I know you’ve got your classes down at the community college, but I don’t know what else to do. Thanks. I’m sure Cindy thanks you too. Bye now.” Frantically she dialed again. “Yes. Hello Martin. Look my car is stuck here at my job. Yeah. The same old job. Listen can you send a tow truck? Yeah I know it’s late but come on. Yeah. Just take it to your place. I….” She stopped hearing his voice offering to give her a ride. “I’ll come by as soon as I can for it. Thanks.” Hanging up she turned to face him. “Yeah. Actually that would be great. I’ve gotta get home and relieve my babysitter. This would actually be great. I live just down that way,” she pointed. “Five blocks, turn left, you go….Why don’t I just show you?”

He smiled as they climbed into his car. It was an old run around, a relic of his student days, and he grimaced a little as he noticed the debris of old wrappers and other detritus. It was not just a signifier of his student days but also his time as a bachelor. Thankfully Elizabeth didn't seem to mind.

They set off together, her directing and him trying to keep up. It was much like their work together in the office, actually, as Elizabeth told him what to do and where to go. They passed a couple of blocks, she jabbing her finger this way and that and he turning the wheel accordingly, until they arrived at her house. He pulled up to the curb and, suddenly struck by the idea, jumped out to help her out the door and onto the pavement.

"Here we are" he said, a little redundantly, and smiled. It was small but not quite what he expected. The neighborhood was nice and, despite the heat of the day, the evening had turned a lot cooler making it remarkably pleasant to stand out on the sidewalk with her. "Do you need anything else Elizabeth?" he smiled, wanting to make the most of this opportunity to break some of the ice between them. "Any errands I can run?" He glanced over at the golden glow coming from the windows of the house. "Need me to run the sitter home?"

She wasn’t trying to be too overbearing as she directed him towards her home. Still sometimes Elizabeth knew she could come across this way. Consicious of this fact, she tried to keep her voice soft. After all, he was doing her a huge favor by taking her home.

In no time he was pulling alongside the curb, and before she could open her door, he was out of the car. She watched him come around and open her door. Though she thought it was strange, she offered him a smile as she climbed from the car. “You didn’t have to do that, but thanks. Thanks for everything really. My sitter actually lives within walking distance. She’s my sister.”

The door opened, and Cindy came running up to her quickly followed by Marissa sprinting yelling for her to stop. “But it’s mommy! I know it!” Elizabeth stopped scooping her up. “Whoa there! You know you’re not suppose to run towards the street.”
“Yes mommy.” The child’s eyes wandered over to Oli. “That’s the bad man mommy,” she whispered. “This is Mr. Reynolds. He works with me now. Oli this is Cindy. My daughter.” Cindy wrapped her arms around her mother’s neck squeezing tightly. “I will take you up on ride into work tomorrow, if you don’t mind. I’ll find about my car during lunch tomorrow. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get this one inside and have a talk about running towards the street again.” She nodded heading past her sister. “Thanks Marissa.”
“No problem,” her sister replied starring at Oli. “So you’re the new guy in town huh? You work with her? Do her a favor. Stay away. She’s mending a broken heart, and some city man like you could set her back. It was a city man that broke her heart in the first place. At least he became one after living there a while. Just keep your distance. Her ex husband started ignoring her and their daughter. Spending more time at work. Jerk. Elizabeth tried to talk to him, to get him to spend more time with them. He was drinking most of the time when he was at home. He never listened. She caught him in bed with another woman. He got angry her finding him like that, confronting him. He hit her. More than once. She came back home to put him behind her and leave him the city he loved so much. So just keep the relationship about work. Got it?”.

He smiled, a little embarrassed, as the little kid ran out to greet her and pointed him out as the "bad man" from the supermarket.

"Hi Cindy" he said, warmly, but the little child was already too absorbed in having her mother back for the evening to say anything else, and was happily led away to her telling off.

He straightened up to shake hands with the sister, Marissa, but was blown away by what she had to say. It was a torrent of information, too much to process all at once, but it also made perfect sense. All he could do at the time was nod and smile a tight-lipped smile at Marissa. "Got it" he said softly and, after checking she didn't need driving home, got back in his car and drove away.

He lay awake, that night, mulling over the events in his head. Poor Elizabeth. He knew, instinctively, that she wouldn't want his pity. Would hate him to think of her as vulnerable, or hurt, or something to be pitied. And he didn't pity her, not exactly. Actually he admired Elizabeth. Although her sister had warned him off he found his mind coming back again and again to Elizabeth's strong points. To have overcome something so...terrible...so earth-shattering, must have taken immense courage. Immense strength of character. To have left, as many women never brought themselves to do, and taken her child with her back home and, facing a knowing family, set up her own life... It was like he was seeing Elizabeth in a whole new light. He frowned to himself, lying there in the darkness, turning it over and over. Marissa was right. What Elizabeth Elders needed was a decent friend. His frown deepened. Actually what she had said, word for word, was to 'keep the relationship about work', but Oli found himself wanting to be closer to Elizabeth than that. There was something about her....

The next morning he was knocking on her door, bright and early, to pick her up. "Hi there" he smiled, genuinely pleased to see her, and holding a steaming cup of coffee in his hand. "Got you this for the ride to work. Thought I couldn't possibly be the only one who needed a pick-me-up in the morning!"

The morning was as hectic as they always were. Cindy running around with toast hanging from mouth, hair a mess, one sock on, no shoes, clothes that didn’t match, all the while screaming and giggling because mommy was chasing around her the house while pulling her skirt up. “Can’t catch me!” She chanted it, and innocent taunt from her young mouth. This was her routine every morning during week. On Saturdays she would always awaken to a little girl smiling in bed beside her. “Hi mommy. I’m hungry. I tried to make cereal. I’ll clean it up.” Looking into her face, there was no way Lizzie could be angry with her. She would always return the smile, tuck a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear and nod. “That’s right. You will clean it up.” There was no rush to get out of bed, to be anywhere, to do anything. That’s what made Saturday mornings her favorite.

Today was no such luck. “Cindy! Put your shoes on!”
“Why mommy? I’m not going outside. I wanna be barefoot,” she declared taking a seat and peeling her socks off. “No socks! No shoes!” Lizzie sighed chasing after her with her own shoes in hand. “Get back here you! Why do we have to do this every morning?”
“You go to work every morning,” the little girl teased.

The knock at the door drew her attention away. “Now what,” she said heading to see who it could possibly be. As she opened it to see Oli standing there with coffee in hand, she smiled. “You. Of course. How could I forget? My car isn’t magically fixed overnight. Coffee. Yes. You’re right. You’re not the only one in need of it. Let me grab my purse, and we can go to work.” Her sister making her way up the walkway heard the conversation, and as she pushed past him to enter the house, she spoke only to her sister. “You need to put your shoes on too.” Her eyes dropped to her feet, and she blushed. “Oh yeah. I forgot.” Slipping her shoes on, she grabbed the bag by the door. “Bye Cindy!”
“Bye mommy!” Widening her eyes with yet another smile, she asks him, “Are you ready now? Another day.” She took the coffee from him and added, “Thanks for all this by the way. You didn’t have to do any of it.”

Oli grinned in at Cindy, seeing her working her shoes and socks off behind her mother's back, but was interrupted as Marissa shouldered her way past him without even a hello. He frowned. Clearly she had meant it last night - any sort of advances from him were unwelcome as far as she was concerned. But Oli had no idea what he wanted from Elizabeth yet and he wasn't quite willing to be warned off from something that might not even be anything.

He smiled as she took the coffee from him and blushed at her lack of shoes. He chuckled. She was cute when she blushed, he realised suddenly, as the slender girl slipped her shoes on and straightened up to return his smile. They stood there, smiling at each other, for a moment or two before realising that they need to get going.

He held the door open for her and, as Lizzie slipped into the passenger seat, winked at her. "I warn you, I'm not normally this courteous!" he teased. He settled into the driver's seat, glancing over his shoulder as he pulled out into the empty street. "I think there's some cds in the glove" he said to Lizzie with a smile. "Mainly just some Indie stuff from my College days but there might be something worth listening to!" He was curious about her taste in music. Curious, suddenly, about everything about this young woman.

The ride to work was remarkably free of traffic and left them plenty of time to talk. "You've got a real gem of a daughter" he smiled over at Lizzie as they worked their way to the office "she's a sweetheart. Makes me feel even worse about being such a "bad man"!" he teased.

He was about to say that her sister had told him everything last night when they pulled into the parking lot to see Mr Schuman flag them down.

Oli rolled down the window.

"Power's out" Mr Schuman said, gesturing at the darkened office. "Power cables came down last night and the repairs will take all day." He smiled, friendly crinkles spreading across his face, "Day off for you two" he grinned at them. "Have fun".

They watched him walk off in stunned silence. Then Oli turned to Lizzie. "You..." he cleared his throat, feeling fifteen again, "You fancy doing something Lizzie?" It was the first time he'd used her shortened name, but it felt natural on his tongue. "I can drop you back home but I don't know anyone in town. Fancy showing me the sights? We can take little Cindy and Marissa along too. Whatever you want".

I forgot my shoes, she thought for a moment. What must he think of me? Lizzie was shocked at the fact that she even cared what he thought of her. This was just a ride to work. That was all.

As she climbed into his car, she noticed the wink. The door closed, and her smile widened. Did he just wink at me? Nobody has done that in a long time. Her gaze meet his as he began to drive away. “You’re not normally this courteous huh? Well then maybe I should take advantage of it.” Looking over to him, she laughed. “I’m kidding. You know that right,” she clarified as she reached for the glove. “I’m not one for indie. Never really listened to it actually. I like various types of music though. I actually use to play. Long time ago. Violin. It was just for fun, but everybody said I had talent. I’ve been meaning to look for a new one.”

She was flattered when he mentioned Cindy. “Thanks. That’s nice of you to say.” He really was making her forget more and more about the parking lot that day. The “bad man” she saw that day was fading being replaced by the gentlemen that opens doors and offers rides to damsels in distress.

Mr. Schuman outside at this hour was unusual. The man was more of a workaholic than anyone Lizzie knew. Including herself. She narrowed her eyes as they pulled up next to him. Power’s out? I knew it was windy last night, but I didn’t think it was that bad.

“Wow. Well,” she stopped for a moment as she thought. “Marissa is actually taking Cindy along with her today as she has some errands to run. They’re planning on having lunch, and then she’s going to take her to toy store to spoil her some. Real aunt and niece time. I’d hate to infringe on that for those two.” Lizzie gazed out the window as thunder cracks. Looks like the wind from last night may have just been the start of the storm that was brewing. “Whatever we do we might have some rain. I’m willing to chance it if you are. I can show you the gardens here. We have the biggest selection of flowers in the state there. There’s the aquarium as well. The park is nice. A big gazebo. It’s a small town. There’s not too much to see, but….well….sure. I’ll show you the sights.”

He couldn't help grinning as she spoke, glad to hear that they might have a chance to spend some time together. He didn't know what it was about Lizzie, but he found himself wanting their moments together to be more and more drawn out. She was...easy to get along with. Once she was a little off guard. He glanced over at her, as he pulled the car back out into the road and headed back to town. She was smiling out of the window at the cloudy sky. She really was pretty, he thought suddenly, her brown hair framing a kind face. He could understand why she'd put up walls around herself, given everything her sister had told him.

Within fifteen minutes or so they were parked up by the gardens. It was, he had to admit, beautiful. Oli had been uncertain, really, about coming to such a small town. After everything that had happened in Chicago it had seemed the obvious place to start over, but really he'd picked Williamsvillle at random from a map. It was anywhere but Chicago for him, not a destination he'd chosen on its merits. But now it seemed to have charms all of its own.

He enjoyed the flowers and trees of the gardens, intricately laid out by caring hands, and let Lizzie guide him through the paths and covered walkways. He couldn't help eyeing her up a little as they went, admiring the slight sway of her hips and the gentle swell of her breasts. He tried not to be obvious, not wanting to sour the time they were having together, but felt his eyes wander back to her of their own volition at every opportunity.

"This is real..." he began, as they reached the far gate of the gardens when a large drop of rain landed smack bang on his forehead. Then the heavens opened. Rain splattered down in huge sheets and he grabbed Lizzie by the hand and ran across the road with her, not stopping until they were under the shelter of the gazebo they'd past earlier. He stopped, panting, and grinned at her. "Lucky escape" he said.

Lizzie couldn’t believe she was doing this, spending the day with this man she just met yesterday. Their encounter in the parking lot really couldn’t be counted as they barely spoke. Only just yesterday, when he walked into the office, and she began the task of training him, did she really start to know him. He was a good worker, diligent and determined to learn and perform the job. She had to commend his work ethic. His car reminded her of a college student barely scraping by with no time to tend the job of cleaning up. Still he kept it in working order, and he was kind. Yeah. He was kind. He had offered her a ride home and to take her to work. He even had nice things to say about her daughter. He seemed to be truly attempting to make amends for his behavior that first day they laid eyes on each other. It didn’t hurt that he had a nice smile. Lizzie shook her head grinning as she gazed out of the window on the way to the gardens. When did I notice his smile? He is a happy sort, and he does smile a lot. She looked over stealing a glance at the man as he drove closer to their destination. Alright. So he’s not that bad of a guy. There. I thought it, and it scared her that she did.

As they got to the gardens, she climbed out along with him. Once inside, she pointed out all the highlights the gardens had to offer including the gazebo. She told him of the rich history of the ground there, the first settlers of this small town, and the importance of the gazebo. From how town proclamations were made from that platform to the fact there was one small area on the gazebo floor that was actually made from the original boards. Preserved for all future generations to come and see as a part of their town’s history, she showed him the spot with her own town pride beaming.

The flowers were beautiful, as always. He turned to speak to her, and her eyes met his. Before he could even finish, a downpour of rain was released upon them. His hand took her own, and she closed her fingers, grasping his hand in return. The gazebo offered them shelter from the storm, and as they came to rest under it, she rested against the railing panting to catch her breath. The storm was so strong dumping massive amounts of rain around them. They couldn’t see far from beyond their safe place from the rain. “Looks like we’re stuck here for a while,” she told him as the music still played on the speaker system throughout the gardens. Rain dripped from her nose as she turned to face to him. “So. Any ideas now?”

He grinned, panting a little from the running, and looked up at her rain-slicked face. She looked incredibly gorgeous, her hair fussed up by the rain and her face streaked with the little drops.

He patted the seat next to him, the little railing just about sheltered from the drumming rain. "Looks like all we've got is to wait this rain out I think!" he smiled, watching the rain drip from her nose.

She sat next to him, looking out over the gardens, and he suddenly felt fifteen again. Awkward and shy next to a girl he was starting to feel things about. He shook his head. How stupid. Yet it wasn't, he thought, looking over at her. She was something utterly different. So different from the College girls he'd chased around in Chicago. Someone strong and independent yet also shy and vulnerable at the same time. Someone who had been hurt and was putting her life, piece by piece, slowly back together. They weren't so different, he thought.

The music from the speakers, despite the hammering of the rain, hummed away. Romantic song after lilting romantic song. He was, he noticed, tapping his feet. He stood, suddenly grinning from ear to ear, and looked down at Lizzie. "Care to dance?" he asked, smiling, holding out his hand. "I mean, there's no-one around but us."

She looked unsure, clearly thinking he was mad, but Oli was determined. It was mad, really, but he suddenly wanted to hold this girl in his arms. This woman. This amazing woman he'd bumped into in this nowheresville USA. He did a little two-step, chuckling, in time with the music.

"Come on Lizzie" he teased "You can't be that bad. Or can you? Have you got two left feet Elizabeth Elders? Or are you just too scared to take a chance?"

She smiles up at him before shaking her head. “Oh Oli you’re asking for it. I am a great dancer,” she replies. Gazing at his open hand, she swallows feeling shaky. Am I nervous, she wonders. Why? It’s just a dance. It’s just his hand. Take it. With those words of encouragement passing through her mind, she reaches up and takes his hand.

Moving with him was so easy, as easy as breathing in fact. His hands were warm, soft, and inviting. He twirled around in time with the beat of the music that seemed to only play for the two of them. The cool breeze as the rain continued fall was refreshing. Almost as refreshing as this feeling, this weightlessness she was experiencing letting go. Holding his hands, becoming one with him lost in the music, Lizzie was letting go of so much pain and a hurtful past. Closing that door had been an agonizingly slow process. Along with it, she had locked the door to her heart. Yet now, she felt a slight feeling, something that had not been there before. It was something she hadn’t felt in such a long time. It was her heart being reawakened. This man, this bad man, had his hand on the doorknob and was almost opening the door. So caught up in his grasp, she wasn’t even aware of it.

“I told you so,” she taunted him keeping up with him. “What’s the matter Oli? Can’t keep up with me?” She laughed loudly throwing her head back. The song began to fade only to be replaced by a slower melody , and a woman’s soft voice melted sweet words to them both. It was a song she knew well, and without thinking, she slowed, holding his hands still. Her lips barely moved as she sang along. “One step closer. One step closer. I have died everyday waiting for you. Darling don’t be afraid I have loved you for a thousand years. I’ll love you for a thousand more. And all along I believed I would find you. Time has brought your heart to me. I have loved you for a thousand years. I’ll love you for a thousand more.” It all seemed so natural. She felt more at peace than she had in a long time. Peering up into Oli’s eyes, she suddenly felt self conscious. “Oh. I’m sorry. I just like the song. I know my voice must sound terrible,” she blushed.

She wasn't lying. He struggled to keep up with her, placing his awkward hands in her delicate ones. They moved slowly, smiling at each other in bemusement. Small movements, delicate steps, awkward shuffling, tiny smiles and amused noises. Forward, back, forward, left, back, left, right...

The music was changing, growing softer. Something with pianos and strings and a soft female voice. And she was laughing. Lizzie that is. She was laughing in joy, throwing her head back and chuckling as he struggled to keep up. "Oh you're asking for it" he grinned, pirouetting her as he held her arm above her head. He picked up his step, moving closer, his eyes locked on hers. He could feel his heart pound in his chest. She was singing, moving her lips in time to the music, but then a blush crept up into her face as she noticed his glance.

"Its beautiful" he said. It was true. The song, the moment, the sensation, the woman before him. He gazed down at her, heart in his mouth, smiling shyly as they continued to move. They were closer now, the cool air of the rain-filled day pressing in on all sides, and he was suddenly very aware of the small distance between them. The fractions of space that filled the void between their bodies. Her hair, a little wet from the rain, lay close to her head and he reached in and brushed a strand aside. He wanted to kiss her. Knew it was awful of him. Knew it would mess everything up. Not just for her but for him. He knew they had to work together. Knew they had to keep doing so. Her sister's warnings, the giggles of her little daughter, the pressures and memories of Chicago, all were pushed aside as he slid an arm around her waist and drew her closer.

"Oooh oh sorry!" The frail voice caused them to jump apart. An old lady and her equally ancient husband, white haired and walking with sticks, had entered the gazebo from the other side and stopped when they had spotted the couple. "We didn't mean to disturb dears!" the old lady added with a smile.

"Its...its alright" mumbled Oli, realising that the moment was gone and Lizzie had drawn back a little from him at the intrusion. "We should probably be going anyway. The rain seems to have stopped for now".

‘Has it now,’ she thought looking out to see that indeed the rain had stopped. ‘I hadn’t even noticed. I was so caught up in the moment, with him. No,’ she shook her head. ‘I can not do this again. Get a grip Lizzie.’ “It’s quite alright,” she added. “He’s right. We really must be on our way. Is there anything we can do for the two of you before we leave,” she questioned the kind eyes of the old woman. “No dear. You two run along. We’ll be fine. Thank you ever so much for asking. Such a sweet couple.” Lizzie’s eyes widen. “Couple? Oh we were just passing the time while the storm moved over. We….uh….we work together.” The old lady smiled and nodded her head. “My mistake. You two seemed so close.”
“Slow dance ma’am. Slow dance.” The lady leaned on her husband as they made their way to the railing to look out at the beauty before them. “You know what Oli, I’m actually kind of hungry. Breakfast on the run tends to be spent rather quickly, and it’s about that time of day anyway. What do you say? Sandwiches? Burger? Hot dog? Chicken? What’s your fancy?” She folded her arm avoiding making eye contact. They had shared a close moment. There was no denying that. What she wanted to deny was that it had made her feel anything. She had left all those feelings behind when she left Chicago, and Lizzie never planned on revisiting them again. It was a moment of weakness. He caught her off guard. The music, the rain, his touch, it was all of it combined. A mix she would not let play out again. Looking down at her feet, she added “We can go anywhere really. I don’t mind. I don’t usually get to go to places that don’t have a play area for the most part. So I’m open to any suggestions you might have. Come on though. We can talk while we walk.”

She made her way out of the gazebo before him, heading in the direction of his car. The gardens were slowly starting to fill back up again, and the buzz of voices could be heard. Couples holding hands, children on field trips, and even a few other older couples passed them by. In her mind she played back and forth though. Chicago and him, and the slow dance while the rain poured with Oli. She was so lost in her own thoughts. The rain may have stopped, but inside Lizzie, a storm was still coming.

He let her lead the way back through the gardens. The rain had stopped but had coated everything in a soft damp hue. It was fresh and inviting and he smiled softly as they walked, enjoying just being near her and hearing her voice. Her little outburst in the gazebo had worried him, reminded Oli just how vulnerable Lizzie was. How poorly used she had been. He concentrated on being calm and considerate, not trying to pressure her or put her under any stress. "Food would be nice" he said, with a grin, watching as her eyes darted about a bit in anxiety. Clearly the dancing had been a bit much. "To tell you the truth its been a while since I ate anywhere that didn't have an enormous corporate logo stamped over everything".

As they walked they turned down a side street and he suddenly saw a small, brightly painted, Italian restaurant. It seemed so cheerful and inviting that it almost seemed too good to be true. "How about here?" he asked, pointing to the door. He held it open for her and soon they were seated at a small table in the corner.

"You can have anything you like" he said, gazing at the dark-haired beauty across the table from him, "anything at all. My treat. Call it a thank you for looking after me these first days at work. And for being such a fine dancer".

The waiter arrived to take a drinks order and he looked over at Lizzie, suddenly unsure. "Do you want wine?" he asked. "I mean, I wont because I'm driving, but you can." He chewed his lip uncertainly. He wasn't sure if wine was the best idea, worried it might make her do something she regretted, but also thought it might be a good way of helping her cure some of those nerves. She did seem a little shaken up.

The restaurant was a place she had passed often and wondered what it would be like to go inside. With Cindy, it wasn’t ever an option. “No toys mommy. No place to play.” It felt strange to finally be able to indulge. “There’s no need to thank me for doing my job. Besides, I must admit, it gave me a chance to get to know you a little better. I’m afraid I made a snap judgment based on the afternoon in the parking lot. I apologize for that. I guess we were both having an off day.”

She smiled at the waiter as he approached. “No wine. Thanks for offering. I’ll have some water please.” The waiter took their drink order and left the two of them alone. Looking over the menu, she raised her eyebrows at the choices. “So much of it looks wonderful. Spaghetti. Real, Italian spaghetti. That does sound wonderful. With garlic, cheese toast. I think I’ll have that. The only way Cindy will eat spaghetti is if it comes out of a can,” she teases. “So. Tell me all about yourself Oli. Where are you from, and what brings you to our tiny, humble town?”

The waiter returns, and she takes her water. Sipping from the straw, she looks at Oli. ‘Anything to keep him from asking about my past.’ Sitting her glass down on a napkin, she looks up to him. “What’s the story behind Oli, pushy parking lot man, hard worker, and anything else you might be that I don’t know about yet?”

As the waiter approaches once more with a basket of bread, he asks them if they’re ready to order. “Yeah. I am. I know what I want. How about you Oli? Do you know what you want?”

"Do you know what you want?”

The question nearly melted him then and there on the spot. From a metaphorical puddle on the floor across from the dark beauty that was his dining partner, he jabbed at an item almost at random on the menu, speechless for a moment.

"What a question" he teased, still a little red in the face, when the waiter had receded. He grinned. "You make the most wonderful partner, I can tell" he said, adding his own little double meaning into the mix.

Once the food arrived they slowly returned to her earlier question. His past. He frowned into the plate of pasta, pushing bits around with his fork, suddenly uneasy. The past he had struggled to leave behind in Chicago.

"Well" he said slowly, trying to keep his tone airy and light, "I don't actually have a family to speak of. I grew up in an orphanage. My mother abandoned me when I was little, or so I'm told. To be honest I don't remember much of it." He looked up, smiling, at Lizzie. "Please don't feel sorry for me. Its weird, I mean, when I bring up the home and everyone thinks of some terrible Victorian place full of cold drafts and cruel matrons. It wasn't like that. It was a nice place, like being in a big dysfunctional family." He paused, smiling at the memories, and also admiring the soft lines of Lizzie's face. She really was strikingly beautiful as the afternoon sun glanced in through the restaurant window. He smiled, suddenly ever-so-happy with the world.

"I went to College in Chicago and it seemed like, for a year or two, the perfect place to settle down you know? I mean, all my friends were there and the jobs and....". He ran out of steam. "Just...didn't work out. This place seemed small enough that a second chance would also be a nice change of scenery you know?" He grinned, trying to shift the conversation away from dangerous waters. "By the way, now I've told you about being an orphan you know, like, the only interesting fact about me. I'm afraid its all down hill from he...."

He didn't finish his sentence because, as the bill arrived, a little face smooshed against the glass of the window alongside them. He frowned at it, amused. "Is it just me or does this little person seem familiar?" he asked the woman opposite him.

Back
Top Bottom