Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

PSP or Nintendo DS?

Lawless

The Divine
I'm a PSP man, myself.

I'm interesting in hearing the opinions of fellow nerds.

I don't know much about the DS, so if anyone can fill me in on the specs and stuff, that'd be great.

fuck consoles
it's all about the games

I bought my DS to play pokemon, simple as that
I bought my PSP to play phantasy star portable
period

the PSP is a nifty media center wich allows me to play movies and get online

the DS is a fun system I can use to draw in when I'm not playing and to a lesser degree, it works well as an mp3 player, also, the DSi has nice built in cameras, they're not top grade, but they do stand side to side with the PSP cam (wich you have to buy separately)

honestly it depends on what games do you want, the GameGear may have been far superior technologically than the gameboy, but the lack of properly developed games for it made it crash while the b/w gameboy succeeded majorly

except that there -are- great games for PSP and great games for DS, so, it's a matter of what do -you- want to play with

Very well put.

Personally, I chose the PSP for Crisis Core and Dissidia (Final Fantasy if you didn't know).

Bought my PSP from a friend... it was hacked, so I couldn't upgrade the OS to play my damn Crisis Core game.

So I learne how to hack PSPs, and then ended up learning how to repair them, and now I can do almost anything with a PSP Phat or PSP 2001 Slim.

The DS, though, I've never really had a reason to get. I wanted to see what I could do with one, but sadly, I can't find one around here for cheap. =(

PSP. I owned a DS, lost it, and never bothered to replace it, despite owning many games. Never owned a PSP, but many friends do, and the Go is a sexy bit of kit.

The Go is awesome, just hard to work with. We still haven't hacked the 3000, and now they have the Go... plus, I wouldn't know HOW to repair a Go yet. x.x

if you ever get an urge to pick a DS, pick a DSi and a flashcard, no need to do any fancy upgrades or crap, just drop 'n drag homebrew, a DS by itself is a very lame toy, but with the flashcard you can play ROMS, you can access internet, messenger services, IRC, mail services, notepads, drawing apps, wardriving software and so much more

the PSP can do that as well? well, sure

but who has a highly responsive touchscreen? :B!!!

i'm a nintendo fanboy, but lets see, I'll be as the facts go:

Graphics engine/Sound:
PSP wins obviously, we are literally comparing a portable PS1 vs a N64, and the PSP has widescreen, kickass for movies
and let's face it, Sony is good at what it does, while the DSi has a built in media player, it will never sound as good as the DSi, and the PSP plays mp4 files effortlessly while the DSi seems to have a bit of a lag with them

Durability/Comfort
DSi takes it, nintendo products are just like that, and what with the self-folding design, the screens are well protected, the touchscreen is incredibly tough, and the device itself can stand a lot of falls

there are gimmicky games, there are 'ported' games for the PSP that have uncomfortable button layouts, there are gimmick games for the DSi that abuse of the stylus, but in general, in 'good' games with clever design, it's a tie, -however- with me being a RPG fan, the stylus has WAAAAY too many advantages and offers very creative and unique puzzles, and since we are talking about confort, it's easier to keep eyes on battle screen -and- tap weapons on lower screen than to pause and select

when browsing/chatting/writting stuff, the DS takes the cake, I hate writing stuff on my PSP

Library:
always evolving, always changing, both excel, a fair tie
the PSP has lots of fluff games, so does the DSi
the DSi has lots of smash titles, so does the PSP

personal opinion? I'm 27, I love studying japanese, drawing and I have a nephew and a niece, I bought a DS and a DSi to them, I couldn't be happier
the DS has games like 'my english coach' 'my japanese coach' and the 'Big Brain Academy' series, you can practice writting in the 'coach' series, making the learning process very dynamic, the DS has a built in microphone so you can practice your pronunciation, and the 'brain' series, well, ffs, my niece is 5 and half, yet, she is about to grasp the concept of multiplying, yet, her school friends don't even know how to count :I

and with applications like Colors! or DSO irc, I know I will always be amused

and really what does the PSP offers to -me-? only two games have caught my fancy, the homebrew is not very attractive to me, the reason I carry my PSP everywhere is because of the movies and music

Cost
DSi by far, the device itself costs much less than the newest PSP and with the DSi you just buy a flashcard and a microSD (wich are real cheap) and you're set, with the PSP you have to buy memory sticks, wich are unhealthily expensive
that said, on 1Gb, you can fit Six 'top tier' DS games, on the PSP, top tier games take 800mb, this translates into me having to struggle with the 2Gb memory stick that I could afford (down here, those cost $600p, roughly 55dlls) just to keep two games and a bunch of videos, while that on the DS I am packing a 8Gb microSD (down here, under 400p, roughly 34dlls) wich I have stuffed with over +15 -good- games, an entire music library and I still have +3Gb to spare

Very good points.

I'm just a tweaker. It's not as fun if I'm not supposed to do it, you know? Horrible way to think, but that's why I'm called Lawless.

I'm with you 100% on everything you said though. The DSi would be cheaper in the long run... but that's why I buy broken PSPs and fix them up for cheap, buy them for cheap, and end up having a working PSP for only 70 bucks out of my pocket. (Normally the Phat or the first Slim)

I like the DS. It is a cheap electronic dictionary for Japanese. It might also become a cheap handwriting or kanji-memorizing device as well.

Only thing I don't like about my PSP, is I can't play MP3s WHILE I play my games. It's not THAT big of a deal, but would be cooler if I could.

FFTactics: War of the Lions
FFTactics Advance
FFTactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Persona Portable
Advance Wars
Dissidia

I'll let you figure out which one I prefer. :p

War of the Lions is like pie ala mode. You get the awesomesauce of the original with and extra helping of new flavor. Unlocking the Dark Knight class is a pain in the arse, but so totally worth it. The bonus battles are great additions to the story. And you totally get to kill Algus (Argath, whatever.) AGAIN. :D

A2 seemed a little more aimed at younger audiences, but you won't care because the story is still mature. And there is like 300 quests you gotta catch. The ending didn't really feel like the end of the story tho. Just kind of 'here's the plot wrap up, go try out the extra quests you unlocked!' And the law system is still annoying, but only gets in your way on a few battles.

So yeah, I am a FF fanatic. I've bought almost every remake out there. I only resisted the PSP versions of 1/2 because I already had them for DS.

And I started on the NES, beating the original. ^_^

That's pretty awesome. I think my favorite is 7. 10 was good, but I hated the ending. 8 was amazing... 9 was a disappointment though.

Other that those, I've only played 1, 2, Dissidia, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Tactics, Tactics Advance, and yeah... that's about it. I tried to play 3-6 but couldn't get into them

I know, I really wanted to finish it, it just went by too slowly for me. ;-;

I think Kefka is one of the coolest villain ideas ever.

I enjoy playing on my PSP much more than my DS. I guess since the controls a relative to the PS2's and so forth, it makes me comfortable. The screen is also wide and pretty. I do like the DS' battery life though. That thing can play for days, and if you close the DS while it's on, it goes into a stand-by state which you can open up whenever you want. I liked that.

I have both the DS and the PSP, however, I haven't turned either of them on in a long time.
But, if I had to choose, I would go with the PSP.

Just a better all rounded hand held in my opinion.

A lot of PSP games look fun, but I'm honestly not moving around enough and not be too distracted to make good use of a handheld. I pretty much only own the DS for pokemon; tried some other games there but nothing was very impressive. Although I definitely wish I got a PS3 instead of a Wii, that's for another thread. :p

Shocked at the love for the PSP, really. The game library is so much better on the DS. The new DSi content too is quite exciting! Wish it had Virtual Console compatibility with the Wii!

In regards to War of the Lions, I loved the original game but was SOOO turned off by the first battle lagging.

Lukage said:
Shocked at the love for the PSP, really. The game library is so much better on the DS. The new DSi content too is quite exciting! Wish it had Virtual Console compatibility with the Wii!

In regards to War of the Lions, I loved the original game but was SOOO turned off by the first battle lagging.
The DS has more good games, but the DS has more games, too - And so many shitty games. You're far more likely to hit something tolerable if you were to pick a random game on the PSP then the DS.

Not to mention hardware functionality.

Back
Top Bottom