Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Drowning in Sin (heartlesskitten x Kuro)

"Feh!" Scoffed an old twig of a man with short grey hair and a wrinkled face turned brown from the sun. He glared at Cerdic with drown eyes dulled by age as he snarled, showing off his crocked yellow and black teeth. "There is no God here, only those Norse bastards. But you will learn that soon enough." He growled, turning back to the stone quern, muttering to himself.

A young woman with smooth pale skin, large doe eyes and long black hair spoke up from where she was mending a pair of pants, "Hamish do not be so rude. He was merely being polite." She turned to smile at Cerdic with a small flush on her pale skin. "A good and blessed morning to you as well."

"I don't care!" The man snapped at her, making her jump. "That bloody git can't come in here pretending to be an Englishman when he has that," He pointed a bony finger to the axe at Cerdic's hip. "On his belt. The only reason a slave would have a weapon would be to fight for his master. If he were a real Englishman he would bury it into the bastards skull! In my eyes he's a traitor! A good for nothin' lap dog." He snorted before spitting at the ground in Cerdic's direction.

Cerdic’s smile faded and he stood up straight, his shoulders back. His first reaction was of a monk, to convince the old man that God was everywhere and no heathen demons would change that. Instead, he looked hard at him, “I wear collar like you, old man. If I took this axe and killed my master, how long would it take for them to hang me as an offering to their Odin? Don’t be a fool.”

With a huff, he shook his head, “Save your vinegar for pissing in your master’s ale.”

His grey-blue eyes flicked over to the young woman who had spoken up and he smiled at her. “I am Cerdic,” he introduced himself simply, his titles meant nothing as they were all slaves. “What is your name, girl?”

The young woman dropped her eyes bashfully. "I am Rowena." She introduced herself. "Would you like to take a seat?" She offered, motioning to an empty spot next to her on a wooden bench. "You were just brought in from the latest raid yes? What part of England were you from? How is it? I've forgotten what it looks like." As she spoke her voice grew progressively somber and she dropped her eyes down to her hands.

"I was a little girl when they took me from my home." She murmured softly with a small shrug. "I can not truly complain though. I have very kind masters." She lifted her head and tried to smile again. "I have been treated well and I'm sure you will be too. I mean your master allows you a weapon. I have never seen such a thing before as long as I've been here. Your master is the village healer yes? The strange man that looks like a woman?"

One of the other slaves, a fairly young but lanky man tending to the cauldron snickered. "I hear he sucks dick and takes it like a woman as well."

Rowena's eyes went wide and her entire face turned red before she looked down to return to sewing.

"Rowena," Cerdic repeated her name in his deep, resonant voice, "That's a very beautiful and proud name. The name of the first Saxon queen."

She peppered him with questions as he sat down next to her on the bench, shifting his axe so it hung in front. Cerdic smiled gently at her and raised his eyebrows, "My aren't you a curious little bird? Yes, I was taken in the last raid, I was a monk at the monastery in Jarrow, in Northumbria. A cold windswept place only seen by God and apparently the Norsemen. I am sure it is much the same as you left it; green, wet, with wars and rumors of wars between lords and life going on as ever."

He gave her a crooked, roguish grin, charmed by her sweet shy beauty. While his attraction was to men, he could appreciate a lovely girl like Rowena and having her in his favor would help in his cause to figure out what was the reason of the tension towards Vigi. "I was born in Wessex though, I had a life before I donned the robes. You bear a Saxon name but there is a British flavor to you."

Cerdic touched a lock of her black hair, turning it around his finger, and smiled wistfully, "My mother had hair like yours and my sister in law, both were from Wales and of the old stock. Well, my master allows me a weapon because I am his guard as well as a slave. If I did not have his trust, I'm sure I would be dead or sold off. He is indeed a healer, though he is a heathen ignorant of God, he did heal my wounds and saved my life, thus I am bound by honor to protect his. And he is very fair of face, yes but he is not so strange. I am glad to hear you are treated well, little bird. Remember the Lord has His eye on even the smallest sparrow."

Touching her gently under the chin with his curled finger he smiled again at her expression as he met her dark gaze with his storm blue eyes. Glancing up at the voice of the youth, Cerdic dropped his hand and scowled at the foul words. He rose to his full height, taller and broader than the lad and silently stepped over to him and casually backhanded the boy who stumbled to the side. Before he could recover, Cerdic slapped him again, open palmed with his hard calloused hand.

He snatched the slave up the front of his tunic, nearly lifting him from his feet and snarled, "I am my master's guard, I protect him against attacks. You just attacked him, boy. I could remove your tongue, slaves don't need to speak. So, watch your tongue, boy, before you lose it."

Rowena was blushing prettily as Cerdic spoke in his low voice, smiling at her with the kindest eyes she had ever seen. She seemed stuck between looking down shyly and looking at Cerdic as he complimented her. She smiled at him until he stood to address the young man. She jumped when he slapped the other slave and her smile faded as her eyes widened with surprise and a small bit of fear.

The young slave stared at him with wide eyes before gripping his hand and trying to pry it off his shirt. "What is the matter with you?! You are a slave as well, who cares if we speak mean things of our master's when they are not present? Are we not comrades in our captivity?"

"Ha! Told you, he's a traitor and a lap dog!" Hamish snorted. "Defending that devil of a man while claiming to be a man of the Lord. Perhaps the healer has cast a spell on him with his bewitching looks." He barked with a bitter laugh.

"Please do not fight." Rowena pleaded with great hesitance, glancing around them as though she expected someone to appear and join them. "Brother Cerdic please put Adam down or all our master's will be angry with us." She begged him, slowly rising to her feet and approaching the large monk. "It is wrong to attack another man's property, even if you are yourself a slave; you could get your master into trouble."

"Who cares? Let all these bloody Danes fight and kill themselves." The bitter old man muttered while the reedy lad named Adam was still trying to pry off Cerdic's hand from his tunic.

Cerdic released the boy and glared at him and the old man, "I don't like that filth coming out of his mouth, especially in the presence of a young woman. I'm...sorry. You must understand, it is my job to defend my master, from attack of any sort. Just as it is yours to grind your master's grain or mend his clothing."

With a sniff, he went to sit back down, crossing his arms over his broad chest. These were simple people, snatched up by Vikings out of their fields and hovels, the biggest difference in their lives was that they were slaves to heathens rather than merely peasants to a Christian lord. And he was no better than they were, no matter what he used to be, he was just a slave like they were. His face reddened with embarassment over his outburst and protectiveness. Perhaps if he had not known such intimate details about Vigi and what they had already shared he would not have reacted the way he did.

Cerdic felt a little ashamed as Rowena seemed frightened, "I won't fight and you are right, old...Hamish. If we should be able speak freely amongst ourselves and we are comrades at that. Please accept my apologies."

He kept the glare from his eyes as he tried to make amends with Adam and Hamish then turned to Rowena, "I'm sorry, little bird, I didn't mean to scare you. Please come sit with me again. You are right of course, and it was wrong of me to hit Adam not because he is property but because he is a child of God."

Silently cursing his knee jerk reaction to defend Vigi against slander, he hoped he had not messed up too much. Glancing at Hamish when he spoke about the Danes killing each other he asked, "What do you mean fight?"

As the son of a powerful lord, politics was like second nature to him and he sensed the tension and the remarks of the Jarl came back to him. Something was definitely up.

Adam rubbed his face and glare at Cerdic as he returned to the pot.

Hamish laughed again and grinned, flashing his hideous teeth. "I heard from the slaves of the Jarl that there is some kind of unrest in the North East. The slaves believe someone is going to challenge the Jarl and bring war."

"Hamish." Rowena whispered with wide eyes. "Do not spread such rumors. We've no idea if they are true or not. The woman who told you is infamous for making up such tales for attention."

"Bah, you choose to remain blind for comfort but I will not be so foolish." Hamish scoffed and waved his hand at her dismissively. "And that mad witch woman is not helping. She may be a traitor with all the damage she's caused."

Cerdic listened, giving the old man his attention, "War for the Jarl's seat, that would be bad news. If they managed to take the village, we would all taken by new masters, perhaps not as kind as the ones we have now. It is high summer, crops are ripening in the field, if they burned them, folks will starve. What makes this woman think they are true rumors? From what I've seen the Jarl is still a hale man at his age, he has a grown son who is a capable warrior and they continue to raid and expand their wealth. It must he a confident man to challenge a Jarl at his peak."

He rubbed his firm chin, thinking about it the way he would for his father when King Egbert called his banners. He had fought many battles and the ones against Offa of Mercia were the bloodiest, for both soldier and innocent. War was a constant state in their homeland, Saxon kings were only as good as the battles they won and land they conquered. He had fought against Offa who had once conquered all of Mercia, Wessex, Essex, and Anglia. He had ruled over all of the south of England but now he was dead and his kingdom shrunk back down to what it had been before. It could be done, to challenge a man at his peak of power, but only if they sensed a weakness. In Offa, it had been his lust for greatness, to be the first king of all the Saxons and it had been his downfall, for he overextended himself of both men and gold. If there was a real threat to the Jarl then it was some sort of weakness that was going to be exploited and he did not see it yet.

"Tell me, who is this woman who whispers of rumors and the mad witch, you speak of the seidkona? What has she done?" Cerdic asked, his brow furrowing.

"The gossip woman," Rowena shot Hamish a disapproving look. "Is named Elizabeth. She was once a woman of great standing and she does not give up this belief even though she is a slave. She pretends to run the Jarls household and claims she knows everything that transpires. She has been caught lying many times."

Hamish shrugged. "I hold hope she tells the truth and all these demons burn."

Rowena shook her head. "What Cerdic says is true though."

"I don't care. I'll grab a knife and stab a few of these bastards before they kill me. And I'll die a happy man." Hamish snorted.

The young woman pinched her lips and turned to Cerdic. "Why do you wish to know about the witch woman? She is the mother of your master isn't she?" She asked, clearly wishing to change the subject of the conversation.

Cerdic raised his eyebrow that this slave who might have once been of high rank had not been beaten for her lies but if she was a beauty and indeed a noble, she might also be warming the Jarl's bed which would explain why she had not been beaten for running her mouth. He would seek her out and see what she really knew. Glowering at Hamish's bravado he shook his head, "Fine enough for you old man, no one bother with you and your little knife. But Rowena and Adam here do have that to fear, if a raiding party descends on this town, it will not just be the Danes that suffer rape and abuse."

He hated to be that blunt in front of the girl but it was truth, if she had not been badly used before then she would if another Jarl's army claimed the village. "Yes she is the mother of my master and a pagan priestess. I am going with him to visit her, I will listen and observe this meeting. I will also be looking for this Elizabeth. I can trust none of this leaves us, if I find out something that smells of truth, I will pass it to you. Best prepare though, no matter what your master does, look out for yourselves. Anything that can be used as a weapon, store extra food and clean water...make a hiding place that you can run to in case of attack."

Rowena stared at him with wide eyes before nodding.

"Look busy, the healer approaches." Adam hissed as he ducked his head down and poked at the fire.

Rowena quickly returned to sewing, looking up through the fall of her short hair as Vigi approached.

"There you are Cerdic." He said when his eyes landed on the large priest. "I see you made some new friends." Hamish made a grunting sound but Vigi ignored him. "Come on, they have work to do and I'm sure you are distracting them from it." He made a motion with his hand to follow him as he turned to walk away.

Rowena looked up at Cerdic and flashed him a small smile while mouthing a goodbye.

Vigi did not look back as he walked, sure Cerdic would soon be by his side. When he heard him approach he did not look back as the left the long house.

Instead of heading back into the thick of the village, Vig lead them toward a grouping of trees for privacy near the edge of the village where the houses and people were spread out.

When they were inside the shadows of the tree tops Vigi turned to Cerdic. "It was more of the same, what did you find out from the slaves?" He asked crossing his arms over his chest. The meeting with the merchant had been a frustrating one as he had been trying to stay for as long as possible to give Cerdic enough time. It hadn't felt like long enough and he would be cross if that meeting was all for naught.

Cerdic bowed his head slightly when Vigi approached and gave Rowena a crooked half smile and a wink before he departed. Once they were in the small grove, the big Saxon rubbed a hand over his mouth with a sigh. "I nearly squandered the opportunity. The young man...I slapped him for speaking slander about you. I should not have, I know, it was just a gut reaction."

Sheepishly, he smiled and glanced down, "I took my role as guard too seriously but I did manage to get some information and I think they'll trust me. The old man is a sour as two day old milk but the girl seems to want to talk. They spoke of a slave in your father's household, a woman named Elizabeth who they think comes from a high ranking English family. Apparently she thinks she rules the roost there and loves to gossip. When we visit your father, I'll find her and see who she is and where she's getting her stories. The biggest bit of news is a possible attack coming from the north east, someone vying for the Jarl's chair."

His grey blue eyes watched Vigi with interest, "As I see it, your father appears strong. He has Sven who has proven himself a leader and a warrior. There are plenty of men at arms in the village but are they all loyal? Some how there is blood in the water, someone out there senses a weakness they wish to use. I'd have to speak with men in the mead hall to get a better sense of the mood of the soldiers and...well, they might not speak to a slave about such things."

With a sigh, he shrugged, "I forget sometimes, no one sees me as Cerdic son of Lord Osric of Wessex. I have fought many battles, defending and invading but they see me as merely a monk and a slave. Nevermind, I'll find out what I can."

"The other bit was about your mother," he said quietly, "They say she's a mad witch...though to me all of you pagan priests might be witches I believe that they meant it as something other than her just being a seidkona. They called her a traitor and said she has caused damage, to the Jarl I'm assuming."

Vigi listened to Cerdic speak and watched his face to make sure he was telling no lies. His lips did twitch up a bit hearing Cerdic had was defending him already, even if it was only for words spoken from a slave. He gave nothing of his inner thoughts away while Cerdic spoke, merely leaning against the tree and listening.

However, when the topic turned to his mother he grimaced. More so than when Cerdic informed him rumors of an attach.

"I know the woman, Elizabeth. She is fairly pretty but more than that, from what I hear; she is a very good fuck. I don't know if my father uses her, his wife tends to be very defensive of such a thing for obvious reasons. But his housekarl and many other warrior of status like to use her." Vigi raised his eyebrows. "She tried to seduce me when I first returned home and she has tried to seduce Sven as well." He made a face and muttered with distaste, "She said to me she wished to have the two of us fuck her. I think she was trying to be seductive but it made me want to vomit. She get's away with her stories because she's pretty and physically punishing her would damage her looks. Also the words are coming from a slave and whatever a slave has to say matters very little to freemen. But you never know, she could be telling the truth. Most likely the best source of information would be my brother unless he is hiding this from me as well." The thought alone was troubling.

"The men of this village are fiercely loyal to the Jarl. Sven has rivals to one day take his position, but none would turn against the Jarl for power. The village is thriving as are the raids, the Jarl is a fair leader and so there is no reason for treason from any of the men. I don't know what weakness there is to exploit, as far as I know there is none...Though...my mother..." He trailed off and shook his head. "No, no, she would never betray the village because Sven and I are here. She no longer likes the Jarl because of how he has treated me, but he was a good father to Sven and both he and I love it here. And even if her going mad is the possible chink in the Jarl's armor; I am here. I am just as powerful if not more so than her."

He turned his head and ran his hand through his hair, leaning his head back against the tree and shutting his eyes tight. "She must have made some mistakes due to her mind going. If the village has become afraid of her that may explain why they are so cautious of me. If she is unstable they may fear that if they take help from me she will become enraged and bring misery onto their household. That is why the Jarl had to speak with me so urgently."

Vigi brought up his hands to cover his face. "God's help me. How am I going to possibly explain to her that she can no longer perform her magic? That it has just become too dangerous to the well being of herself and the innocent people of the village?" He said into his hands, his voice muffled by them.

Cerdic listened, furrowing his brow slightly at the last part, "I cannot tell you how to deal with your mother. I lost mine as a child and I've never dealt with anyone mad except for Brother Dunstan, he heard God talking to him...telling him to do strange things and sometimes he would become unruly, we would lock him in his cell until the madness passed. I'd hate to suggest locking your mother up but maybe an alternative, give her something else if you're taking away her job. A person needs to feel useful and if she's to be kept from doing harm to the Jarl and the village...maybe removing her from it could be the answer. If she is the weakness, then if she's not there and you are, it could be enough to make whoever is plotting an attack to think twice."

He shrugged his broad shoulders, "I truly don't know what you can do without offending her. I'll leave that all in your hands, Master. This Elizabeth...she sounds like a manipulative little slut, I can handle that better."

Flashing a crooked grin at him, "So she wanted both brothers? Sounds like fun girl. Also she sounds like someone who likely has the ear of a number of men who would know what's going on and men in bed want to impress and sometimes that means bragging or letting their partner in on a 'secret' to show how important they are. There could be truth to her gossip."

Reaching up, Cerdic tugged at the leather collar, "Let's hope Sven sees that your help will be needed in the long run, if he is to be Jarl, he will need you. In my homeland, lords and kings are easily replaced, it is only the ones that keep fighting and are victorious that remain in power. But they also need support, even among monks and priests for they speak to God along with the lesser lords and bannermen who bring their small folk as soldiers. It is not the same here as it is there but I can see your people and mine do have one thing in common...a lame king does not last long on his throne."

Vigi snorted and lowered his hands. "The Jarl is far from lame. It is the same for his wife, his daughter and my brother." He let out a sigh, "Speaking of I should consult this with him and Dalla. Perhaps we can come up with something for her. Though she always knew I would one day replace her, who knows what goes on inside her mind now." He muttered somberly. He hated seeing his mother deteriorating so quickly and knowing people now feared her. She used to be so well respected and loved.

"Be careful if you do speak to Elizabeth." Vigi warned him, focusing on Cerdic's grey eyes. "You are very handsome and she will wish to bed you. Because you're a slave like she is, she will be quite aggressive and I know she can be very nasty to other slaves. That cute little mouse you were speaking too has probably experienced such treatment from her."

A sudden smirk twitched up his lips and he duck his head down slightly to look at Cerdic with smoldering eyes. "I won't be jealous of course but I don't like the idea of sharing either." He rumbled with a soft chuckle.

"I defer to your knowledge, of course, I merely speak of which I know," Cerdic shrugged, putting his hands on his hips. "And you know your gods and the ones that speak with them. You may have to forget she's your mother...I mean, getting sentimental can influence decisions that might now be for the best."

Dropping his gaze, he chewed on his thumbnail for a moment. How well he knew what love for family and a soft heart could do to a man. At Vigi's warning, Cerdic raised his eyebrows and chuckled, "Is that so? I think I can handle a small woman."

Flexing his arms playfully, he grinned, "Don't worry, Master, I'd rather not dip my bucket in the community well. I will use my charms as a monk to perhaps persuade her to do God's work and shame her for her behavior. She might think He does not see since she is in this foreign land but I will remind her. If she is as nasty as you say, it will be interesting to say the least but I will not be used by her in that way."

Vigi laughed at Cerdic's playful arm flex and words, an actual laugh rather than his usual chuckle. The sound like a tower bell tolling from far in the distance. "You are adorable." He grinned, reaching out to pat Cerdic's cheek. For a moment he stared before leaning in and kissing him. It was a brief kiss, though Vigi did flick the tip of his tongue out lightly to lick Cerdic's lips as he pulled back.

He patted him again before letting his arm drop and stepping away from the tree. "I'm sure my brother is at the Great Hall, though with any luck we will miss the Jarl and his brood of misery." He said with a soft snort as he walked away, the light slipping in through the canopy flashing across the decorative beads woven into his pale hair which shined softly from the sunlight reflecting off it.

As they walked Vigi's lightened mood faded quickly as he thought about the coming conversation with his brother about their mother. The fact he also needed to talk to Sven about his over-protectiveness did not help his mood. Vigi chose to avoid returning to the busy center of the village, sticking to the outskirts so he and Cerdic would not be stared at so much and it would be quicker.

Soon the towering greatness of the hall was in sight and Vigi felt his bruise throb. If there really was some kind of threat to his father than maybe that explained why he had been so short with his temper. And so violent. He had the brief thought of stopping, turning around and just returning to his hut with Cerdic where no one could bother them or harm them.

"You may see a few of the warriors from the raid at the hall." Vigi said, betraying nothing of what he was thinking as they walked closer. He could start to see a small crowd gathered and he was confused as to why until someone moved and he realized two people were sparring. "If any of them try anything with you now that you have a weapon, tell them that they will be cursed by me with several nights of horrible nightmares."

As they grew closer Vigi could now see that one of the fighters being observed had a womanly figure and he sighed. "One of those fighters is my half sister, Arnleif Álarssdóttir and she is something known as a shield maiden. She, like her mother, the Jarl's legitimate wife, hate me and my brother with a passion. Me more so than him." A hard blow to her opponents helmeted head with a blunt axe sent the man to the ground and a few people whooped and cheered at Arnleif's victory.

Vigi hoped that Arnleif would be too distracted with her victory to notice them. His hair must have caught her eye for she moved away from the crowd to meet them when they were practically at the steps of the Great Hall. "Seidmadr," She said with an edge to her voice as she removed her helmet, revealing her tanned and freckled face as well as her tightly braided brown hair. "What a distasteful surprise."

Vigi stared blankly at the woman. "Arnleif. Is Sven here?"

She shrugged her surprisingly broad shoulders. "Perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't." She narrowed her hazel eyes at him. "Why did Fadir lower himself to go visit you at your hermit shore?"

"That is business between myself and the Jarl." Vigi replied calmly, not rising to the bait she was dangling in front of him. Knowing he wouldn't get a proper answer from her he started to walk past her.

"Was it about your whore of a mother losing her mind?" Arnleif asked casually and Vigi stopped walking as his shoulders tensed.

Vigi gritted his teeth and breathed out through his nose. Ignore her, ignore her. He told himself looking back at Cerdic with a sharp look; silently telling him not to do anything. No matter how much he'd like for him to slap her.

"She's been causing all sorts of chaos. Many villagers suffer the same nightmare for weeks at a time. Unseasonal storms have been blowing through here. She's even woken the entire village when she goes to the center and starts screaming as though she is on fire. And she created charms that lead to the death of several sick children."

Vigi felt his anger snap and he turned around sharply to glare at her. "Silence! You do not understand what you are speaking of." He growled at her, taking a step forward but stopped when she held up the blunt practice axe with a smirk.

"What's this? Are you willing to finally fight me like a proper man now?" She turned her cold eyes toward Cerdic and sneered. "Or will you hide behind this sniveling Christian?"

Vigi glared at her, his fists clenched at his sides as they shook. "No wonder you can not carry a child." He rumbled low with a smirk, wishing to inflict the same pain she had just unleashed upon him. "Not only do you have the build of a man but a babe could not grow inside of that frigid womb of yours, tis colder than an Ice Giant's heart."

Arnleif lost her cold smug expression as it was quickly replaced with fury. "Take that back you rotten bastard!" She shouted, shifting the grip on the axe so she could swing it properly as she raised it.

Cerdic’s face warmed at the kiss and he felt a tingle from his lips down to the base of his spine. He resisted pulling the slender man against him but instead he followed him at a respectful distance, keeping an eye on those they passed by. The sight of the sparring caught his attention, his interest in arms had never faded even as a monk. He watched as Vigi explained his relation “Your half sister? She’s impressive.”

He was honest in his assessment of her fighting skills as he saw them, it was unusual for certain, women in his lands rarely used weapons or donned armor. As she spoke with Vigi, Cerdic understood why his master was not anxious to see his half sister. Glancing between them, there was not much resemblance and truth be told, Vigi had the more fair face. Arnlief was not unattractive but she was not the soft feminine ideal that was idealized. Her dark hair hung in lank strands where it had escaped her braid and she glowered at them. Her face was all hard angles and her thin lips pressed into a line gave the impression she was no sweeter in disposition.

Cerdic kept his hands at his side but narrowed his gaze at the armed woman as she got closer. He took a sharp breath at Vigi's insult, that was a deep cut to a young woman and well he knew how sensitive they could be about bearing children.
Cerdic was moving before Arnleif could strike, his hard hand gripping the axe just below the head, blocking her shot. She was strong, he could feel it and it was a test of his healing muscle to keep her blow from falling. His cold flint colored eyes met hers and he pushed back enough to show her his strength but without shoving her back disrespectfully. "Hold, my lady. I cannot let you strike my Master."

Arnlief looked momentarily surprised at having her blow caught. The expression faded to a scowl. "A man should fight his own battles." She growled, jerking her axe out of Cerdic's grasp. "But your master is neither man or woman." She said with ice in her voice as she glared at Vigi.

He readily returned the look with pale green eyes hard and as cold as ice. "I suggest we end this now or the Jarl will be furious with us both for making a scene." He said lowly. He'd let Arnlief believe she had the last parting shot. That should placate her some after the grievous insult he said to her.

"True, my faidr would be quite angry." She smirked and Vigi shook his head at the weak insult.

"Cerdic." He said, turning to walk away from his half sister before more violence broke out. He tried to ignore the small sting of shame he felt at having Cerdic stepping in like he had. It was his job and clearly he could do it well. But his sister and father were right to some degree.

"You handled that well." Vigi complimented Cerdic as he avoided the steps leading into the hall and walked around the outside. "I apologize though for placing you in that sensitive situation." When they were alone again in the shade of the towering Hall he stopped. He ducked his head down and scrubbed his hands over his face, taking in a deep breath to collect himself.

The sight of the axe raised at him had been a terrifying one. Even though the axe was blunt, it could have still caved in his skull. He doubted Arnlief would receive much punishment for striking him.

Once he was a little calmer he lowered his hands and turned to Cerdic with a blank expression. "I will leave you with the slaves of the household while I speak with Sven. I'm sure he is here and will be hunting me down soon. Do you think you will be alright alone?"

Cerdic held his tongue, biting it hard to keep himself from replying back to the spiteful woman. If he were not a slave he still would have been circumspect as she was the daughter of the Jarl. It was enough that he stopped her attack and showed her and those watching that Vigi was no longer an easy target. He followed his master, keeping just behind him in deference to their ranks.

"My place is to put my body between yours and danger, no need to apologize, Master," he said obediently and then raised his eyes to meet the beryl gaze. "You were not exaggerating about the bad blood in your family."

He gently touched Vigi's flat stomach where the Jarl had punched him, giving it a slight caress before dropping his hand, "Do not fear, I think they will bluster and bully but if you speak for your gods, they will be hard pressed to truly harm you. Plus now they have a surly Saxon monk to deal with."

Stepping back, Cerdic flashed a crooked grin. "I'll be fine. I think you're worried that Elizabeth will bewitch me. I'll find my way around and keep out from under the soldiers. I'll listen, it's the best thing I can do."

Vigi gave a slight jolt of surprise when Cerdic softly touched his stomach over the dark bruise. For some reason he found himself blushing from the gentle graze of Cerdic's strong fingers on the sensitive skin and muscle. His stomach did a pleasant flutter in reaction to the touch. He tried to crush the feeling down while coughing awkwardly, bringing up his hand to rub his mouth and hide his reddening skin.

"I'm not worried about anyone bewitching you." He said, placing his hand back down and resuming his walking. "I just worry leaving you here alone where you can be harassed and not fight back." He muttered, walking along the wall of the Great Hall until they were at the back where the slaves were busy with their chores.

"Vigi!" A small older woman with grey hair called out with a smile from where she was grinding grain. "Come over here and give me a hug this instant!"

Vigi grinned, glad to see a familiar face that was happy to see him. "Hello Hilda." He greeted, making his way over to the slave woman and bending down to give her a hug.

She patted his back and he stood back up, allowing her to pinch the side of his stomach. "You're too thin." She said with a disapproving frown.

Snorting Vigi turned to wave Cerdic over. "Hilda this is the man I brought back. Cerdic, I'm sure you've heard a lot about him already." He said and turned to Cerdic. "This is Hilda, she is the one in charge of the other slaves and making sure chores are done. She also looked after me a lot when I was little."

"Aye I did, had to keep a close eye on him or he'd go off and stick his head into bee hives for honey." Hilda informed him with a sagely nod. "Also the rumor's do not do you justice, Father Cerdic." She added with a smile and a respectful incline of her head.

"I have to be off and speak with my brother about some things, so Hilda will you kindly keep an eye on him for me will you?"

"I'll do better than that, I'll put him to work." She huffed, pointing over to a large stack of unchopped logs close to the door. "Priest or no, there's wood that needs chopping."

Vigi grinned again and shook his head. "Sven is here yes?"

"He's inside speaking to the Jarl, dear."

"Thank you Hilda." He nodded his head and patted Cerdic on the shoulder. "Behave or she'll scold you." He teased lightly before walking back the way they had came to look for his brother.

"Well, Father Cerdic," Hilda began, her smile turning a bit somber. "It has been a long time since my last confession." She said, reaching out to pat an empty stool next to her.

Cerdic watched the happy reunion with a small smile and the tension started to ease in his shoulders. He nodded at the pile of wood, at least he would be busy for a slave being seen as idle was not good. He furrowed his brow at the rumors comment, wondering just what people had to say about another Saxon slave. His eyes watched Vigi leave, a slight worry to be out of sight of his master now that his job was to protect him. He turned to the old woman and bowed his head slightly, greeting her in English, "It is nice to meet you, Hilda. And it's Brother Cerdic, if you wish. I was a member of the Benedictine monastery in Jarrow. I would not have made a good priest, I'm not much of a talker. But I will take your confession."

He reached out of habit for the cross but sighed, remembering it was put away with Vigi's belongings. Cerdic resolved to make a new rosary out of plain items to keep on him, "Do you happen to have a rosary, I'm afraid mine was lost. No matter if you do not, what do you wish to confess?"

He made the sign of the cross and murmured the Lord's Prayer with her before raising his eyes to meet the bright gaze in the wrinkled face. This woman was kind to a bullied boy, even though he was a heathen and the son of the one who owned her. He folded his hands and settled into his monk role, his face calm and passive. Cerdic listened politely as the old woman listed off her sins, mostly being small blasphemies, envy, and small everyday transgressions. Once she was done, he smiled gently at her and patted her hand, "The Lord sees you, sister. He is kind and merciful, say five Hail Mary's and two Lord's Prayers. He will forgive and He does not forget you in this heathen land."

Once she was satisfied, Cerdic went to tackle the pile of wood that needed splitting. He removed the tunic and folded it, placing it on the stool before spitting on his hands and rubbing them together in an exaggerated manner while raising his eyebrows as he hefted the wood axe. Hilda laughed at his silly expression and he grinned back at the old lady, she reminded him of his mother's mother who he met only once but she had been a spirited, sassy woman unafraid to speak her mind. Cerdic began the monotonous task of splitting the logs into quarters to feed the hearths and stoves of the Hall. His muscles flexed as he chopped, the healing scar on his bicep gleamed red against his fair skin but the old wound did not trouble him though his shoulder was starting to feel the strain.

He had a decent pile stacked by the time he was sweating and breathing heavy, pausing to accept a cup of watery ale from Hilda who was busy making bread on the stones by the cooking hearth. Cerdic wiped his face with the back of his arm, blinking at the sting of salt before going back to swinging the axe. It was easy work and allowed him to think, he probably would wrap this up and take bundles of kindling to disperse to the main hearths and the rooms, maybe it would give him a chance to overhear any news.

"You made quick work of that wood pile." Hilda complimented him when she saw that he was nearly done. "Hmm, I'll have to think of another laborious chore for you to do." She teased with a small, sly smile.

Movement out of the corner of her eye caught her attention and she scowled as a young, beautiful woman with short golden blonde hair and dark blue eyes stepped out from around the corner of the long house. "There you are, I'm surprised you thought it fit to grace the day with your appearance." Hilda said sarcastically in Norse while standing up with her hands on her hips.

The blonde woman appeared to ignore her and was far more focused on drinking in the sight of Cerdic's bare, muscular torso glistening with sweat in the sunlight.

"Elizabeth!" Hilda snapped.

"Oh calm down you old hag." Elizabeth sighed heavily in English, turning to look away from Cerdic to glare at Hilda. "There isn't any need to shout and alert the entire household you're in a bad mood. And speak the language of civilized people."

Hilda made a sound of frustration. "Are you back here to do chores or to be a tramp?" She asked in English so the woman could understand, crossing her arms firmly over her chest.

"How dare you, I am no tramp. I only do as is asked of me." Elizabeth sneered, tossing her hair about as she jerked her head away from Hilda with a sniff. "I have the misfortune of being so beautiful that all the dirty savages of this land wish to make love to me. Believe me I would rather be as ugly as you and the other women so I do not have to suffer being raped every night." She said with a heavy, mournful sigh while leaning back against the longhouse with her lower lip trembling. "I only wished to come back here and meet the poor man ripped away from his homeland, just as the rest of us were." She continued, lifting sad eyes up to look at Cerdic.

Cerdic lifted his head, resting the axe casually on his shoulder when the young woman entered the cooking area. He saw the hungry look in her eyes and gave her a slight smirk before his face became stoic. His warnings about Elizabeth were in his head and he did not miss the sharpness of her tongue. Looking between both women, he set the axe down and stepped away from the pile of firewood. He found the bucket of water and dipped his hands into it, splashing his face and chest before picking up his tunic, tossing it over his shoulder before approaching her.

“It is good to meet you, I am Brother Cerdic,” he said, playing dumb. He had heard the chirpings of the little bird and what Vigi had said about the young woman but he let nothing on. “You are Elizabeth, I am very sorry that you are here and subjected to such dishonor. Do you say your prayers? Finding comfort in God can be a blessing. Where are you originally from?”

Elizabeth smiled shyly up at Cerdic, her eyes wondering down his wet torso. "I do pray, I pray every day that God will take me away from this place or send me someone to comfort me." She answered. "I hail from Mercia."

"Don't believe her Brother Cerdic. She just wishes for another cock to stuff her." Hilda snorted in Norse as Elizabeth could clearly not speak it. "Do not let her tempt you to sin. She is not worth damnation."

"What are you saying in that gibberish?" Elizabeth asked with narrowed eyes before huffing. "It is not as though we can understand it. We have not been here so long as to learn it." She turned her eyes back on Cerdic and smiled again. "I'm so sorry you were taken from your home, but how is it that womanly man was able to capture you? You are so much bigger and stronger than he." She said, holding out her hands to motion to Cerdic's broad physical build and looking as though she wished to touch him.

Hilda made a sound in her throat.

Back
Top Bottom