Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Drowning in Sin (heartlesskitten x Kuro)

Freylaug smiled with relief. "Thank you Cerdic. You are a very good man, in time others will see as well and you shall have your status again." She said, reaching up to touch his hand. "Let's return to Vigi, shall we?" She suggested, pausing for a moment before stepping forward and hugging Cerdic tightly. "Truly, thank you." She released him with another smile before taking his arm again and leading him back to where Vigi slept.

He was still sleeping when they returned, though he had shifted so he was laying on the grass, his arm under his head like a pillow. His face was smooth and peaceful, lips slightly parted as he breathed deep, even breaths.

Freylaug stared down at her son with a gentle, if somber smile. "He was a surprise." She said to Cerdic. "For as long as he was in my belly, he hid from me. I had no idea he was there, I only thought I had Sven. So after he was born I tried to sleep but couldn't. I went for a walk with a slave girl until I collapsed. She looked under my skirt and said she saw a head. I gave birth to him out in nature...When we returned Alarr was stunned then his face grew unbelievably happy and proud. He took Vigi so gently into his arms and proclaimed him his son and gave him his name. He'd always take both these squirming infants into each arm, then march around proudly, showing them to each of his men. It was rather obnoxious." She explained with a sad chuckle.

The smile faded and she sighed. "They're both so stubborn."

Cerdic rubbed the back of his neck when the old woman called him a good man. He had always tried to be, to live with honor and follow the word of God and yet he had failed so often. He nearly laughed when she mentioned having his status back, that was something he knew would never come to pass. Not while his father and brother lived and even then, what would he do. He had renounced his claim to any inheritance when he joined the monastery, that part of his life was over. Surprised at her hug, he bent and put his arm gently around the slender woman and smiled back at her. "You're welcome, it's not that much of a chore. I've come to like your son, despite everything."

When they stood in front of the sleeping shaman, Cerdic recalled the first time he had seen him in the bee fields. He had thought he was a woman because of his beautiful face and glancing at Freylaug he wondered she had been as fair in her day. No wonder the Jarl had bred her and there was little wonder at the jealousy his current wife had. The story of Vigi's surprise birth made Cerdic smile, everything about the young man was surprising, why would his coming into the world be any different. Rubbing his chin, he thought about the birth of his own son. How he had stood outside with his brother and father, watching Osric thump Aelle on the shoulder and drink to his first grandson as the infant squalled. His heart ached as he congratulated his brother, gripping his arm Aelle had given him a slight nod of his head. A secret between them, he had promised to keep it if his brother allowed him to be in the boy's life. Later that evening, he had been able to hold his son and at that moment he could not imagine how he could ever let go.

Blinking back tears that had sprung up in his eyes, he bit his lower lip, speaking in a voice made raspy with emotion, "It's a proud moment when a man first hold's his child. A son to carry his legacy...his name, his hopes and dreams. To teach him everything he needs to know to be a man a father could be proud of. When that is taken away...uh, as Vigi was not the son the Jarl expected, it can be hard, very hard to come to terms with."

Freylaug turned to him with a small, sad smile. "I see you know that pain very well." She observed, a knowing glint in her eye.

Vigi stirred on the ground, making a grunting sound as his face scrunched together with discomfort. He lifted his head and blinked open his eyes, staring up at his mother and Cerdic standing over him. "...What?" He asked in confusion, slowly easing himself up from the ground. "I think I fell asleep on a rock." He groaned, stretching out his arms before twisting his torso to crack his back.

His mother chuckled at him and patted his head while he blinked blearily at the space in front of him to wake up. "Come on dear, let's return to the village." She said, running her fingers through his hair to pick out a leaf that was stuck in it.

"Yes, yes." Vigi muttered, waving his hand before standing up and swaying on his feet. He rubbed at one of his eyes and watched his mother walk off into the brush then turned to Cerdic with a bemused frown. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep. You weren't frightened too badly by her were you?" Vigi teased him with a small grin.

Cerdic stiffened at her comment, the witch saw too much and he closed off his thoughts, focusing on repeating the Lord's Prayer to clear his mind. It did not good to think of Athelstan, the boy was no longer his, he had never been his. He was Aelle's heir and that was best for him. Rubbing the stubble on his cheek, he looked away from Freylaug as the urge to spill his story grew strong. It was his alone and it would remain that way.

When Vigi woke, Cerdic was grateful for the distraction as his mother went to tend to him. He shrugged, "You were tired, I doubt you slept much last night worrying about what would happen when you saw your father. And no, she did not turn me into anything unnatural...any more unnatural than I already am."

He smiled crookedly and picked up his shield, walking close and keeping a wary eye on the people that milled around the village. Looking over at Vigi, he asked, "Should we take your mother back to her home or Hall? Since she is feeling well, perhaps she might speak to the Jarl on your behalf."

Vigi frowned at the suggestion and leaned down slightly to whisper in Cerdic's ear, "I don't believe her word carries the same value as it once did." He leaned away and walked forward to join his mother's side. "Come on, we'll return her home." He added over his shoulder. The Hall was not a stable place for his mother to be at the moment, not until he and his father got some kind of understanding settled.

His mother was staring at a bird hopping around on a branch when Vigi stood beside her. She turned to him with a smile and hooked their arms together. “I agree with Cerdic, we should go to the Hall.” She said and reached up to thump Vigi on the forehead with the flat of her palm. “I hear all the whispers of the wind, young man.” she told him sternly.

Vigi flushed in embarrassment and mumbled an apology to his mother for his words.

She patted his arm and then continued on, turning her head to wink at Cerdic over her shoulder with a small grin.

Vigi looked as well and raised his eyebrows but said nothing, turning back to look ahead and walk with his mother.

==

“Are you sure madir?” Vigi asked Freylaug with a concerned frown and look toward the Great Hall. “This may be too...straining for you.”

“Oh relax. You worry like an old hen.” She chastised him. “Alarr is bullheaded and thinks I’ve gone completely mad but he still remembers what we once had. I have sat by and allowed him to mistreat you for long enough.”

Vigi’s frown only deepened and looked back at Cerdic with worry creasing his brow. His stomach was churning with nerves and he felt as though he may vomit with how on edge he was.

Reaching the steps of the Hall though Vigi forced his face into an indifferent mask. He showed nothing of what he was feeling as he entered into the musty hall with his mother on his arm.

When they entered Sven looked at them in surprise then narrowed his eyes at Vigi. The Jarl stiffened in his chair and likewise, his wife pinched her lips and gazed at the two coolly.

Vigi met his gaze and tried to silently communicate that this was not his idea. He looked around the room and much to his dismay and confusion he saw his half sister and Rolef were also there, standing close to the chair of the Jarl. Arnlet met his eyes with a glare, crossing her arms firmly over her chest and standing firm in her spot as though to silently say that she was not moving.

Cerdic smiled a little at Freylaug's admonishment of her son and replied quietly to Vigi as they walked, "You would be surprised what hold an old lover has on a man."

He stood behind them, silent and steadfast, the only movement was his flint blue eyes watching any movements made. He could feel the tension between the Jarl's wife when she spotted Freylaug, the woman sat up and her gaze was like a hawk. He spotted the daughter, Arnlief and a man whom he recognized from the ship. Rolef, he recalled his name, a contender for Sven's standing among the raiders. Cerdic nearly smirked, so Rolef could not find the support he needed amongst the men, he went to the bed instead. He wondered how Sven would like that, this ambitious warrior wed to his half sister and only legitimate child of the Jarl. Politics would rear it's ugly head for sure and he readied himself in case one of the hot headed Norse decided to use steel rather than words. As a slave, he was merely furniture and the family would speak freely around him, hopefully forgetting he was even there.

Giera sat in the carved wooden chair next to her husband when they entered the Hall. She held a goblet of wine, both stolen from the English church in the last raid. Slowly she sipped it, trying to control the jolt of rage she felt when the slender white haired woman walked in. Giera knew she should not be jealous, it was not as if Alarr would want to bed that crone now. Her eyes glared down at Vigi, more fair of face than any woman in the village and she knew quite well that his mother had even surpassed him in beauty. How it tasted like the bitter dregs of the wine when she thought about it. She had been young, only sixteen summers when she wed Alarr, at the height of her nubile loveliness.

And still, he had been drawn back to that witch's bed. Surely a spell of love worked on his cock, as much as it was the ethereal pale beauty of Freylaug. The woman was also older and more experienced in the ways of carnal pleasure than the teenage bride. Giera had come into the household of a man in love with his siedrkona and she already had given him twin boys. Even in her youth, Giera knew she had to put a stop to it or she would always be second to her own husband.

"Vigi," Giera said, "You are welcome in the Hall but...I believe this woman has no more place in our home. She is a danger and I don't want her here. Alarr...dismiss her."

She cut her eyes to her husband, noticing the momentary distant look in the older man's gaze when he looked at Freylaug. Her lips pressed into a fine line, she knew he was remembering better days when the witch was the most desired woman in a hundred miles and the most powerful. Gripping her goblet, she gave him a not so gentle nudge.

Rolef watched with interest, he disliked the feminine looking man and the confusion he sometimes caused in his own loins. On a long boat ride, there was more than once he had thought about what the pretty man's lips would look like around his cock and it unsettled him. He was not like some of the others that did not mind where they stuck their dicks. Rolef liked women and though Arnlief would probably be a tough nut to crack, he would work at her and surely Geira could see the opportunity he presented as someone who could take the Jarl's place rather than Sven.

Sven shot a look over at Giera, his jaw tightening at the disrespect she blatantly showed his mother. Likewise Vigi bristled at the comment, his mask cracking as he glared at the Jarl's wife. "I've not completely lost my mind, Giera." Freylaug spoke loudly but calmly, descending the stairs with Vigi helping her. "After all these years, I thought you would have put your jealousy to rest." She said with a cold smile.

"Why are you here Freylaug?" Alarr asked after clearing his throat. "This matter does not concern you."

"When it comes to my children it does." Freylaug said firmly. "I will not be leaving, no matter what you or your wife has to say. I helped you rise to your position of Jarl, Alarr. You at least owe me the decency to remain and speak my mind." She looked Alarr in the eye, her slim shoulders squared back and her hand tightening on Vigi's arm.

Alarr breathed out heavily through his nose, looking from Freylaug to his wife. "I will...allow her to stay."

Giera glared right back from her higher position on the elevated chair. She downed her wine with a gulp and shoved her cup at Arnlief, who took it and also stared hard at the mother and son. The wife of the Jarl clutched the arms of her chair, leaning forward, the many strands of her gold and glass beads clinking softly. Her lips thinned to a line and she shot Alarr a look when he contradicted her. Weak man, he was still weak for her and her sons.

"For what?" she found herself snapping at him, "That woman has no place here. Vigi is seidrmadr, not his mother. She is no longer useful or needed. Or wanted," Geira spat out, "Old woman, your time is over, soon your madness will take you and you will be nothing but a burden. Alarr, she is not welcome. I am your wife, you dare choose her once again over me?"

Standing up, she stared daggers at the older man, "I am your priority, not this old slut that spread herself for you. I am your wife, Arnlief is your only true child. Get rid of this woman. I demand it. Her sons may stay and serve you but she is past her usefulness."

The woman shot an ugly look at Freylaug, "I've had enough of you for a lifetime."

In that moment of her tantrum, Geira knew she had overstepped her bounds of public behavior but she was so incensed she did not care. She had come to Alarr with power of her own, her dowry of ships and gold from her father and her own stubborn ambition had helped him keep his position when so many had tried to take it through force or wiles. Taking a breath, she gave Vigi a flat smile, "Her sons are welcome so long as they are loyal to the Jarl, the man that bred them. But I will no longer stand by and allow this woman to pretend to be your wife."

Vigi clenched his jaw as Giera went on her tirade against his mother, a look over to Sven revealed he was equally furious. When she addressed and held up his chin to her. "Bred us? I think you are mistaken Giera. My father is no mortal man, but an elf remember?" He asked her with a hard edge to his voice. "That's the story isn't? The story you and your husband told and have everyone spread throughout the land? The story that completely washed away any relations I had with the Jarl? What loyalty should I feel for a man that did not breed me?"

Freylaug patted his arm to calm him when his voice started to raise and shot a look over to Sven to get him to remain calm as well. "I'm sorry my darling, I wanted to help but clearly that isn't possible."

"It isn't your fault madir." Vigi said to her, glaring at the Jarl's wife. "Insulting my mother is not a good way to get me into your good graces if you want me to serve the Jarl."

Sven glared at Geira before leaving the Jarl's side to trot up to his mother and wrap her in a hug. "You crossed a line Geira." Sven muttered.

Alarr eased back in his chair and folded his hands on his lap, looking to his wife with an arched eyebrow.

Geira clenched her teeth. Indeed she had stepped over the line but the sight of Freylaug raised her ire and she was a volatile woman. Taking a moment to clear her mind, she nodded in acquiescence to Alarr and Sven, replying stiffly, "Perhaps I did, old wounds still hurt sometimes. My apologies."

She sat back in her chair, cutting her eyes at her husband. This was all his fault, if he had not kept the woman she despised around they would not be having this issue with her son. Rolef glanced between the two older women, there was certainly quite a bit of tension and he wondered how he could use it. Though Geira seemed to accept Sven as a natural replacement, she hated his mother with a passion. Maybe there was a weak point, Sven obviously defended his mother. He kept his silence for now, it was not his place to speak up...not yet. Subtly, he touched Arnlief's fingers, glancing at her with a slight smirk under his beard. She looked as if she would like nothing more than to pull Vigi's spine through his mouth and he found that rather amusing and attractive. The young woman might not have been a golden haired beauty of song but she was strong and bold, with striking features and would make a formidable Jarl's wife. Glancing over at Alarr, he waited for the man to address the two shamans.

Cerdic was silent of course but ever watchful and attentive, he could see that the Jarl's wife was jealous, even after all these years but people could be like that. They could hold their grudges and spites, nursing them over years until they festered into something ugly. It was dangerous though and despite what Geira had told Vigi on the docks, she still harbored ill will towards his mother. Maybe she could stand her sons but Freylaug was a thorn in her side, a reminder that she was not the only one to hold Alarr's heart.

Sven stepped away from his mother when she patted his back, silently assuring him she was alright. "Now then Geira." Freylaug said, turning to the woman with a calm expression on her aged, but fair face. "This meeting is not about settling our strifes with each other. It is about settling the hostility between my son and your husband." She placed a hand on Vigi's shoulder and he straightened them. "Speak darling." She reached up and tugged a lock of his hair. "Nicely."

Vigi huffed slightly, mildly amused by his mother's choice in words. She sounded like she was talking to him as though he was a child again. "Jarl Alarr." He spoke loud and clear. "Do you wish to have me serve you? Do you want my power or not? Because if you don't, then I shall leave and only return on occasion to visit my family." He said, turning to Sven and giving him an apologetic look. He did not want to leave his brother and his wonderful brood behind.

He pressed his lips together but nodded and patted him on the shoulder.

Alarr breathed out heavily through his nose and stroked his hand through his beard. "I do wish for you to serve me and the man that takes my place." He said in a loud, if begrudging voice.

"Oh Freya's cunt." Arnlief spat out.

"What was that, daughter?" Alarr asked, but he shot her a look of warning.

"We do not need this man!" The young woman finally exploded, pointing over to Vigi. "What proof do we have of this great power he supposedly has!? What proof do we have that we even need such a man so pathetic that he would hide behind a Christian slave for protection!?"

Vigi crossed his arms over his chest and raised his eyebrows at Arnlief's furious face. "The Jarl has the proof he needs." He said calmly, looking over to his father. "This matter does not concern you Arnlief. I am asking if the Jarl wishes to have me as his shield." He gave the man a meaningful look in case he had forgotten the dream. Most likely he hadn't and had merely neglected to tell his daughter about it and his connection with the storms.

Saying what he had though only seemed to infuriate the young woman further. "We do not need your magic," Her hand went to the axe that hung from her hip but she did not draw it. "All we need is cold steal and the strength of our warriors."

"Arnlief that is enough." Alarr snapped at her. "How can you say such a thing? Do you not understand that to be a truly mighty people we need both the strength of the physical world and that of the Gods and the magic of nature? That is the way of our people. We can not rely solely on one...without the other."

Vigi and Sven shared a look between them and Freylaug covered her mouth to hide a smile. The twin men were practically the embodiment of the two strength's the Jarl was speaking of. It seemed to have finally sunk in for him when he was chastising his daughter. Most likely because he realized how hypocritical he sounded. Vigi cleared his throat and focused on his father again. "If you promise to me that I will receive the respect my position deserves, I will no longer be treated so poorly by your family, then I will gladly give you my loyalty and serve you, my Jarl." He said to the man, bowing at the waist slightly in a show of respect for the man.

Alarr took in a deep breath, his jaw clenching under his beard. "Very well. I shall accept you as part of my council."

Freylaug clapped with a wide grin before turning and hugging Vigi tightly, at the same time Sven slapped him on the back. Vigi wheezed out in surprise before glowering half heartedly at his brother who merely grinned and winked. "Thank you, Jarl Alarr." He said respectfully, straightening as best he could with his mother still hugging him.

Rolef put a hand on Arnlief's lower back, a calming, comforting gesture that was not too intrustive as she protested heatedly. Vigi would be seidrmadr, at least for now, there was no denying that. But just because he was one today, did not mean it would last. After Alarr snapped at her and gave into the witch's demand to make her pretty boy son into one of his advisors, the big Norseman ran his fingers lightly up her spine. He leaned over and in a whisper, he breathed warmly in Arnlief's ear, "Neither will last long."

tumblr_mknrf3Op0L1s359vbo1_500.gif

He smiled slightly at her when she turned to look at him, his eyes warm and with a hint of promise. Rolef wanted to be Jarl and he wanted this woman at his side, not just for what she might do for him. She would breed good strong sons, gods forbid the rumors whispered were true. He doubted it, she was not known to have bedded many men for only the fiercest would do and most she could best in a fight. Whether it was her skill or fear of her father, that was another story. He pulled his hand away and his folded his arms over his chest, watching the twins and their mother. Enjoy the sun while it shines, he thought to himself as he stared at them,for the night always comes.

Cerdic was happy for Vigi but his face remained stoic, only a hint a smile turning up the corners of his mouth. He watched the Jarl's family, Geira was pouting and Arnlief seething but it was the cold calculating gaze of the raider who stood at her side that caught his attention. What would he have to gain harming Vigi? Or was it Sven the big Dane was after. Uncomfortable, he shifted his weight and caught Rolef''s eye briefly before remembering his place and looking down. The man smirked at him and it made Cerdic nervous to think he had been marked somehow. Whatever came his way, he would stand in front of Vigi. Cerdic was certain that the shaman's step family would forget their life long feud just because the Jarl finally made a concession. It would just go under ground and worm it's way into their lives.

He reached out and touched Vigi's shoulder, nodding at him and spoke in a low voice, "I'm glad for you but not all are. We should go and not wear out your welcome."

Vigi glanced over at Cerdic and nodded in agreement. It felt as though Arnlief was moments away from throwing her axe at his head. It would be best to put some distance between himself and the Jarl's family to, once again, calm down and maybe learn to accept the news. Sven didn't look happy to notice Cerdic's bold behavior but he didn't speak out because he most likely agreed.

"Come on madir, how about we return you to your home?" Vigi suggested to his mother, looking down at her and gently dislodging from her embrace. She smiled up at him and nodded silently, still looking unbelievably pleased. "My Jarl." He bowed his head to Alarr in a respectful goodbye. He put his arm around his mother's shoulders and briefly grasped hands with Sven before walking to the door, his mother starting to hum under her breath.

He glanced over his shoulder to make sure Cerdic was following and his lips drew up briefly at the corners seeing he was. Looking past Cerdic he noticed the angry gaze of Arnlief and also that of Rolef's. He had nearly forgotten the man was there because he had been so quiet. In a way it felt violating to know the man had been there when really what occurred had been none of his business.

It worried him, he hoped he hadn't done anything to once again make Sven look bad.

Once the shamans were gone, Rolef looked over at Arnleif, “This has been interesting, I’ve got some business to attend to but I will be calling on you again. Next time I’ll wear attire more suited to a woman of your standing. Leather and chainmail was it?”

Giving her a quick smile, he excused himself from the Jarl’s presence, strolling out of the Hall into the sunlit afternoon. He glanced over to see the distinctive fair hair of the mother and son walking out of the village. Rubbing a hand over his beard, he considered the options. Getting rid of that troublesome ergi priest would make Arnleif happy and his chance at winning the Jarl’s chair better. Sven was formidable and he had men loyal to him but Vigi was his weak point. Whether removing him or making him a liability, either would bring Sven’s standing down. As Rolef made his way across the courtyard, he spotted Elizabeth and leered at her, his hand reaching out to grab her bottom as she passed. He chuckled at her reaction and kept on his way, there was much work to do.

Cerdic followed his master and Freylaug to her home and considered the events that passed. Finally the Jarl acknowledged that he needed Vigi and he was glad of it, though with the reaction of his step family he knew the fight was long from over. All he had to do was keep Vigi alive and now that the Jarl accepted him, it would be easier. Arnleif would have to be a fool to try and strike her half brother now.

Catching up to Vigi, he remarked under his breath, “Are you certain your mother is mad? She seemed quite in control of things back there.”

Vigi looked back at Cerdic when he spoke, his eyes moving past him to his mother's hut where two very patient slaves cared for her. Normally it was up to a parent's children to care for them in their old age. But according to Sven and his wife, his mother had insisted that she did not wish to burden them with her illness.

"She has her good days." Vigi answered him, turning back to the path. "You have not seen her on a bad day. She has gotten worse while my brother and I were gone, according to my sister-in-law. She'll forget who people are, sometimes she'll go a day without speaking and simply sit in place as though she is in a trance...And a few times she's gone through the town screaming at the top of her lungs...Her slaves say that she has nightmares and will wake screaming mine or Sven's name."

Vigi stopped walking and took in a deep breath, his emotions welling close to the surface and threatening to crash over him in large wave. He ran his hands over his face, digging them into his eyes while speaking, "Since we've returned though she seems to be doing better. Sven says he thinks she may get better...If I know one thing, it's my brother's heart and in it he knows she won't get better. Just as I do."

He lowered his hands and clenched his jaw tightly, glaring into empty space. "That damn Geira. How could she say those things? She knows that my mother is no real threat to her and especially not now, not with how fast she is-" He cut off his rant and his hands balled into fists. He turned to look at Cerdic with his eyes frozen like green ice. "I swear if it was not so important to her and to Sven I would have nothing to do with that family. None of us should have to deal with them. The only saving grace they have is that Alarr was a wonderful father to Sven."

Cerdic nodded as Vigi spoke, there was truth in that. He recalled an old monk who had been a kind and intelligent man who taught the boys who came to the monastery to read and write. The stories told about him spoke of a true man of God; patient, kind, and learned. Brother Leofwine had been highly respected and when he grew old and forgetful he was taken care of by the monks he had once taught. In Cerdic's time at the monastery the monk had been rather far gone, on his bad days he would wander around, sometimes speaking aloud to long dead friends or family, weeping and shitting himself. It was a sad sight and it made Cerdic wonder why anyone would want to live to be so old. He had always figured he would die in battle before age ravaged his mind and body.

"It's a price of living to a ripe old age but is she really that old?" he asked, putting a hand on the fair man's shoulder, rubbing it a little to comfort him, feeling the tension there. He wondered suddenly if it would fall to him to care for the old woman if Vigi decided to ever take her in. Thinking about Freylaug he felt a knot of anxiety, not that he was afraid of her, he did not believe in heathen powers and yet...after the storms and how she seemed to see through him he was unsettled. Cerdic had no idea how to take care of a woman, he had never even raised a child. Scratching his short hair, he looked at Vigi sheepishly and shrugged, "It's not really because she's old is it? Her madness I mean."

Vigi relaxed slightly as Cerdic rubbed his shoulder. Having that strong, comforting and familiar touch was what he needed at the moment. "Hmm?" He faced Cerdic again at his questions and raised an eyebrow. "She is not so old, Alarr is older than her I believe. We don't know the reason for her madness but...madness is sometimes what happens to those of us that speak to the gods." Vigi said, lifting his hands up slightly to motion to the sky above them.

"Something about their presence and power, being in their realm; it can drive the mortal mind to insanity if one is not careful." He explained, dropping his hands down to his side. "That is something my mother engraved into me very well when she was teaching me." He folded his arms over his chest and stared into space with a frown as a thought occurred to him now as he considered Cerdic's question more deeply.

"There...is another possibility." He spoke slowly. "I do not like the thought of it though and I hope that I am wrong but...A person of magic, a person of Seidr, can curse or drive another to madness. I've driven men mad before, but they were weak willed and my mother...My mother is too powerful to suffer from such a thing though." He shook his head harshly. "That's a foolish thing for me to even consider." But there was that rumor about the unrest in the North East and he hadn't yet spoken to Sven about it.

A knot formed in his stomach and he ran his hand over his face. If there was something going on, if there was someone powerful enough to drive his mother to insanity...

A chill ran up his spine and he took in a deep sharp breath. "No, no, she would have told me." He muttered to himself, speaking out loud for some measure of reassurance. "...Right? Why wouldn't she?" He breathed out shakily and looked back over to his mother's hut.

Cerdic felt the tension rising in Vigi and without thinking he put both hands on the slender man's shoulders, rubbing his shoulders and up the tight muscles on the back of his neck. When he was a warrior, he often had a servant rub down his aching muscles after a long day and he knew it had a relaxing effect. As Vigi spoke, Cerdic listened silently, his strong hands now rubbing circles on his shoulder blades before going back up over his shoulders. "Your mother would want to protect you, maybe some things she thought you should not know?" he said softly, his voice a rumble in the shaman's ear. "Do the...priests of your gods, like yourself and your mother, have a place where they gather? Like our monestaries or cathedrals, would she have known any other priests that she might have made an enemy? Someone she betrayed or spurned....your mother was once a beautiful woman, correct? I'm sure Alarrr might not have been the only one in love with her."

His hands moved slowly down Vigi's arms and he leaned in close, daring to brush a kiss against the back of his neck through his pale hair, "I'll help however I can, you still have your mother, I don't."

The big Saxon stood back, making a gesture towards her hut, "Whether it's a curse or just God's will, could there be anything you could do about it?"

Vigi felt himself begin to relax as Cerdic's strong, confident hands rubbed into his tense muscles. He had never been quite touched like this before. He would have to get Cerdic to do it again, especially as it sent a pleasant sensation down his spine to the pit of his stomach. Vigi repressed a shiver at the soft, teasing kiss on the back of his neck, forcing himself to listen to Cerdic's words.

They did have a temple but it was a few days travel to reach it and he did know his mother had certain disagreements with the priests there. They weren't enough to attack someone though.

"You're right." He nodded, looking back at the hut with a frown. "If it's a curse, I may be able to stop it." A small flicker of hope sprung to life in his heart that he may be able to make his madir well again. They had all assumed that the cause of Freylaug's madness was because of the overwhelming power of the gods and their realm. Something that could not be combatted. If it was a curse though, Vigi could easily counter it.

He gripped Cerdic's shoulder briefly before breaking into a sprint back to his mother's hut, confident Cerdic would follow him. His mind raced with the possible spells used to cast this fog of insanity on his mother and ways to counter them. He nearly ran into one of his mother's slaves when the young woman exited the hut with a basket of laundry.

She stared at him in surprise but he ignored her and entered into the hut. Freylaug looked up at him from where she sat on a sleeping bench and smiled. "Come to visit so soon?" She asked with a chuckle.

"Madir, I don't know why I hadn't thought of this before, but is it possible that your madness is a curse placed on you?" He questioned her, closing the distance between them in two strides and sitting beside her.

Freylaug blinked at him. "Vigi, do not do this to yourself." She said softly, placing her hand over his.

Vigi felt his heart sink and he turned his hand to grip hers. "Is there anyone that may want revenge against you? That would want to do this to you? Is there someway I can help you?"

The older woman stared at him before taking in a deep breath. "You can't help me, darling."

"Of course I can!" Vigi protested, letting go of her hand so he could stand up. "What has done this to you!? Tell me and I can heal you!" He shouted, his hands clenching into fists.

Freylaug stood as well and gripped his shoulders tightly to drag him close. "Vigi." She said lowly, gripping onto his shoulders tightly and looking into his eyes. "There is nothing you can do to help me."

Vigi stared down at her before shutting his eyes tightly and lowering his head to press against hers.

"You need to be strong." She told him, moving her hands up to his face. "You need to prepare yourself because something is coming that will threaten our way of life."

Vigi snapped his eyes open to look down at her. "What is coming?"

Freylaug's lips trembled as a look of distress crossed her face before she forced a smile. "I don't know." She answered helplessly, tears shining in her eyes. "But you need to be strong and ready to face it." She stroked his cheek gently while tears streamed down her cheeks. "Don't let the wolf devour you."

As the woman broke down Vigi pulled her close, holding her tightly and letting her cry into his chest. He shut his eyes and bent down to rest his head against hers. He held her until she calmed down and then gently sat her back down on the sleeping bench. "I'm sorry madir, you've had a long day." He said, passing his thumb over her cheek to catch a falling tear. "Please, get some rest. I'll leave you in peace." He murmured soothingly, rubbing her back as she collected herself.

He sat with her until she was calm again and didn't leave her side until she had laid down and was resting. Vigi stared down at his mother for a moment before rising to his feet and marching outside. Cerdic was standing by the door and he glared at the Christian, his grief and pain turning to anger. His hand struck out and he punched Cerdic in the jaw before grabbing him but his tunic and jerking him to his face.

"Why did you have to go and say that?" He asked him in a growl. "Why did you make me believe that I could...you gave me..." He trailed off and clenched his teeth. "It doesn't matter." He released the priest with a hard shove and turned to leave. "We're returning home and then we have some packing to do." He clenched his hands into fists and glared at the lowering sun. "Tomorrow, we travel for the temple of the Gods."

Cerdic ran after him, keeping just behind as Vigi went back to his mother's home. The Saxon stood outside the door, he could hear muffled speaking but nothing clear. He nodded politely at the female slaves who attended Freylaug, they seemed well fed and happy and that at least did his heart good. He looked up expectantly when Vigi exited the hut. The punch was unexpected and he took the hit, his head snapping to the side as a flare of pain shot through his face. When Vigi grabbed his tunic and snarled his question, Cerdic glared back at him, resisting the urge to shove him away.

He stumbled a step back and felt his face flush red as the slave girls giggled behind their hands and stared wide eyed. With a huff, he watched for a moment as Vigi struck out towards his home and then followed. Cerdic caught up to him, walking just behind with his jaw clenching. Once they were away from the town, he snapped, "What do you want from me?! I know nothing about your gods and curses, it was only a suggestion."

Spotting the small boat they would take to cross the inlet, he shot a glance at Vigi, "Look, I'm sorry about your mother, I'll pray for her. Even if she is a heathen perhaps God will take pity."

He doubted it and felt a little bad about saying that. Another false hope just for temporary comfort. It was poisonous, he knew that well enough but it was a bad habit he had from making excuses and clinging to hope when he knew it was all bullshit. Cerdic grabbed the boat, waiting for Vigi to board so he could push off and row them home.

"I don't!" Vigi started to shout at Cerdic but cut himself off and clenched his jaw, his pale face flushing with anger. When he spoke again it was at a lower volume through his clenched teeth, "I don't want to hear anymore pretty words from you. I don't want to hear anything more about praying or about your weakling god. He has no power here, in fact I doubt he has any power at all. What has he ever done for the people that follow him? Have you ever spoken to him? Have you ever seen him do anything to help his people? Has your praying actually worked to help others?"

Vigi sat down heavily in the boat and leaned back, glaring across the water. "Unless you can honestly say that yes, your methods do work to heal those lost in madness I don't want to hear another word from you." He muttered, crossing his arms over his chest. "And that is an order." He added, finally turning his eyes to glare into Cerdic's grey ones. "One word and you can sleep out in the shed tonight." He turned his head away to glare back out at the water.

In the back of his mind he knew this was not fair to Cerdic. It was his fault for getting his own hopes up and then running off with them in a blind, desperate rampage that only harmed his mother and made him lash out at an ally and possible friend. He knew this but it did nothing to quell his rolling anger and unfortunately for Cerdic, he was the only one he could take it out on. At the moment he simply didn't care.

Cerdic rowed them home, his powerful muscles flexing in his shoulders and arms, fuming over Vigi's slander against God. God worked in mysterious ways, it was not always apparent and sometimes He did not grant what someone wished for, sometimes God said no. Ignorant heathen, he glowered darkly at Vigi but kept his comment to himself, continuing towards the far shore. Once he felt the boat rasp against the pebbles of the beach, he hopped out, uncaring about the soaked boots as he hauled the boat ashore, with his master still inside. Working fast and with obvious anger, he tied the rope to the pier.

At that moment he would not mind sleeping in the shed, Stubby the pony would be better company than the surly Dane. Finally unable to contain himself, Cerdic turned and snapped, "There have been miracles but why would I bother telling you about them, you don't believe so it would be a waste of my breath."

He had never witnessed it but there were stories about priests healing the sick, the relics of dead saints used to cure illness and prevent bad luck. Jesus himself had helped the blind to see and even raised the dead. Cerdic snorted to himself, but the memory of the storms tickled his mind, recalling the intense, erotic dream and the storms that seemed to come out of nowhere. He pushed the thought away, it had to be coincidence. The Norse gods and the elves and dwarves were just stories, made up by those ignorant to the one true God. If it made Vigi mad to hear the truth, the Word, then he would have to live with it.

Cerdic set the rails down for the sheep pen, feeling suddenly tired, the muscles in his arms burning from the exertion. He hated arguing about religion, neither was going to bend and it just led to them butting heads. He picked up his crook and smiled a little to himself, The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want...

"I'm taking out the sheep, Master, while there is still a few hours of light left, they need to graze," he said, not looking at Vigi.

Vigi glared at Cerdic as he walked up the path toward his hut. "Fine, when you're finished they will also be your sleeping companions tonight. Do not cry to me if you get attacked by a wolf." He said coldly, brushing past the other man to storm into his hut where he shut the door with a loud slam.

Alone Vigi let out an angry sound from his throat, his hands clenching and unclenching into fists at his sides. With sharp jerky motions he undressed from the fine clothing he'd worn to meet his father. He unbraided his hair, removed all the decorative beads woven into it and once in clothes used for every day chores. For the first time since he brought Cerdic to their shores he began to make his own dinner.

He sat by the fire while the cabbage stew cooked in the pot, leaning back against the sleeping bench. As he sat still the silence of the hut began to settle over him. There was no sound save for the soft crackle of the flames and he only had the walls of his hut to stare at. Sitting there silently, alone with nothing to direct his anger at he began to think.

As he thought, he calmed down and slowly began to realize the mistake he had made.

What had he done? Why had he done that? Cerdic had only been trying to help him the best he knew how. It was his own fault for convincing himself the Christian was right. He should have known better. He shouldn't have let his emotions get the best of him like that, but the hope that he might actually be able to help his mother...It had been overwhelming.

Then equally overwhelming had been the despair, shame and fear he had felt after speaking to her. He had been so scared to learn that his suspicions were correct and yet the enemy that loomed over them was still a mystery...That the fear turned itself into anger and then chose the only thing around he could unleash it on.

Cerdic.

With a sickening feeling in his gut Vigi realized that he was no better than his father's family. Just like when he was small and they wanted to take out their anger on him, he had done the very thing he hated them for to Cerdic. After everything the man had put up with that day. After all the comfort, support and kind words he had given him, Vigi had turned on him and struck him without hesitation.

Taking in a deep breath Vigi covered his face with his hands. He was no better than the Jarl and his brood.

The sounds of the sheep bleating reached his ears and he took in a deep breath before standing. He pulled a cloak around his shoulders and filled a water skin with some of his mead. Quietly he left the hut, the sun just about to set and walked over to the sheep pen where Cerdic was guiding the animals back into the fenced area. He waited until the pen was shut again to approach the Christian.

Wordlessly Vigi lifted the skin to brush against Cerdic's arm as he came to stand beside him. "I'm sorry." He said softly, his face burning as he continued to hold up the skin for the other man to take. "I was...upset, but that by no means excuses my behavior. You helped me a great deal today, you were patient and kind and you did not deserve me striking you and saying such harsh words."

Cerdic gripped the wooden staff, shooting a glare at his master, "I don't fear a wolf, I killed one of your brother's raiders with a staff no different than this."

It was brave words but the reality would be bedding down with smelly sheep in muddy straw rather than sharing a warm bed. He just could not bend easily, his pride stiffening his spine as he took the flock out to graze in the afternoon. The sky looked grey, the sun hidden but the days were long at this time of year. He sat against a stone, watching the animals graze, the lambs still at their mothers' sides. He had milked them this morning, the lambs turning to grazing more and he wanted to keep the flow going. At the monastery he had learned to make simple cheese and butter from fresk milk of their goats and cattle. Sheep's milk had a slightly different taste but it was good. Cerdic had looked forward to sharing it with Vigi, to show him another hidden talent but now he almost wished it would curdle wrong. The hell with the pagan.

Cerdic sighed and stood up, wandering among the sheep as he kept an eye out for an wild berries that might be left. He was more embarrassed than hurt that Vigi had struck him, he had tried to help but truthfully he knew little about people with madness or the ways of heathens. If he was not a slave he could have caved in the man's head with his fist. Even with his height, Vigi was not a fighter and Cerdic outweighed him and had the advantage of being a killer. Cracking his knuckles, he thought about it, about pounding that beautiful face until blood flowed through the pale strands of hair and he felt suddenly ill. No, he did not want to do that. He felt heart sick for even thinking about it. The Saxon had a weakness and this was it, he cared about the other man, despite the fact he was his owner. Like a kicked dog who licks his master's hand.

Angry at himself, he rounded up the sheep, herding them towards home. He could see Vigi waiting for him and he did not look up until the man was directly next to him. Cerdic turned and met the pale green eyes, seeing not anger or vengefulness but sorrow and shame. At the apology, he stayed quiet and then nodded, accepting the mead by taking a deep drink and wiping is lips with the back of his hand. Struggling not to be sarcastic and assure Vigi that apologizing to property was unnecessary, he gathered his thoughts and finally spoke.

"Christ teaches His followers to forgive," he said simply, his flint blue eyes meeting Vigi's gaze. It was hard to stay angry at him, Cerdic knew he had a good nature but every man has his breaking point, especially against unseen enemies. If Vigi could humble himself to apologize to a slave, then Cerdic could turn the other cheek. Handing back the skin of mead, he said, "It is already forgotten, do not worry about it. "

The Saxon smiled a little, the slight dimple forming on his cheek, "Now, am I still sleeping with the sheep?"

"No, of course not." Vigi answered with huff, his lips twitching up into a small smile. "Then you'd stink as much as they do." The smile widened a bit before disappearing. "I turned into the Jarl in that moment." He said softly, folding his arms over his chest and directing his gaze out to the water of the channel. "I turned into his wife and his daughter. I'm disgusted with myself, how easily I could become like them."

He stared out at the shimmering water with a frown on his lips before he turned to Cerdic. "I know I've hurt you before when I was angry, I've threatened you...I did not feel much shame for those times because you were a stranger to me still. I didn't know if I could trust you, I thought you would find some weakness of mine to use against me...Things are different now. I've come to know you and told you things I've never told another living person." He lifted his hands to motion to the quiet property around them. "I didn't know how lonely this place was until you came." He lowered his hands and frowned down at the ground. "The point I'm trying to make is...I care for you, I like you. I feel truly awful for lowering myself to such behavior and I never, ever want to hurt you again." He admitted, feeling his face burn with embarrassment.

There, he admitted how much he had come to care for Cerdic. Why he admitted it, he didn't know, it had just come out as he was talking. The Christian seemed to have that frustrating effect on him. Vigi ran his hand over his face, avoiding Cerdic's eyes as nerves knotted his stomach. He had never been so open with another person other than his brother, so it was nerve wracking to lay his emotions out where they could be crushed and ripped to shreds.

"Unless you're being a bullheaded, stubborn bastard and need a smack on the head." Vigi added jokingly, finally lifting his eyes to look at the other man.

Back
Top Bottom