Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My place of Proze and Doze...(comments welcome)

RE: Sexcuse me, but what the good, is all the violence...

Pardon the venting, but need to just get this out where I know people from my work won't see it. Been awhile since I really needed to bitch, but here ya go.

I forgot how crazy work weeks can get when deadlines come, the new lead wants to prove himself and pushes us all to keep doing work until the last moment, when it all goes to pot. AGAIN. Because they can't help themselves and keep adding more features, more things to what is supposed to be a small release of software. Instead we have a morass that STILL doesn't work because they never merged everything together to test it all, then complain to me when it doesn't work the way its supposed to.

Never fun being the messenger when all you can EVER deliver is bad news because people don't know when to stop coding, fix what they have and hand it off before adding on more crap. Sort of like the Geico commercial where the dad fills up the motorcycle with all his son's stuff until it falls over. Yeah, that's my current project. That's why AGAIN they are suggesting I work more this weekend and how its partly my fault for the delay.

ugh...

Off for the weekend with the family, so apologies to all my partners who won't get anything from me the next couple of days, though I am about caught up. One more to answer before I make that many hour drive up north.

Have fun all!!

Well finally finished my Storytelling, Princess Park, feels nice to have a story come out and be done. Even if its by myself, as I wrote it I changed a few things but tried to keep the flavor of it the same. Best thing I learned as I wrote it, and it was unintentional, was each post was set as a cliffhanger. Sort of like the old serials used to be done, much of that I get from my big interest in old time radio shows.

I used to listen to a lot of radio when I was young, but when SciFi (in its original incarnation) channel first started out they had an old time radio station on their web site, you could stream shows from the 30s and 40s from the web. Gave me something to listen to at work, and over time I've built up a small collection of my own. I find the reliance on spoken word and sound effects, even if most were cheesy, to work as a medium. It makes you focus more, and its pretty neat the stories that they came up with.

Anyway, thanks for Felicia Florence for the original idea, though hers was way different and I did not capture her humor in the writing, tried but that is not my style. Now to see what I want to do next to fill up my time.

Not sure why, but finding myself drawn back to a lot of the "hard core" sci fi from my youth. Heinlen, Asimov, and others that I read scattered books of now and then, finding out more are available. While I spent more time buying books long ago, moving was a pain due to the amount of paperbacks i had to shift around, I spend more time grabbing from the library now. Reading a lot more than I did, and with the library system you can always get books from other collections, so long as you want to wait a few days for it to show up, usually I time it well to have one waiting while I finish one so I can pick up another.

This is something I impart to my boys. My oldest son has dyslexia and he constantly finds excuses to read down (to a level he is more than comfortable with) slowly I have seen him read more challenging books (using audio books online that highlight the read words) and my youngest will pick up a book I know he can't read and pretend. I guess my subtle references to books, and reading more in front of them, is having a good effect. Which I like. :)

So rather than post in the What are you reading? thread I decided to add my comments here, since I read a lot I didn't want to spam the reading thread.

Just finished Pines by Blake Crouch, I watched Whispering Pines and was intrigued by the story. Matt Dillon was one of those actors I am meh on, but in this one I thought he did pretty good. Funny to see some of the other actors they got on that show as well.

Anyway, I liked the book better than I thought. It was an easy read, and the concept was rather interesting. I like how the first book (there are three in the series that reveals everything) most of it is about the fear that the town you live in is not what you think it is. Pulling that along just long enough to finally reveal the truth (if you have seen the show you know...though it takes longer to get to it than the book does I think). The town is full of characters that are either helping, or hurting Ethan (the main character). The main scene in the book that reveals to Ethan that the town is definitely not what he thought, I was ok with though it seemed a bit out of character for most of the people entirely, though having the main character be a Secret Service agent with PTSD and a torture victim made the tension believable overall.

Waiting for the next one from the library so re-reading one of Bernard Cornwell Sharpe novels, Sharpe's Honor, before I donate it to the town book drop. I have way too many paperbacks at home, time to divest myself of clutter.

Sometimes I feel like a little Phoebe Legere.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r1nbwPHIPU[/video]

Yes, this one is from the 80's, you can tell from the big hair.
A clip from a movie called Mondo New York. Must be a Japanese copy, otherwise I have no explanation for the subtitles.

I was watching that Alien Invasion show called The Whispers. I like a nice SciFi show and thought I would give it a chance, the first episode I hear the alien name of Drill and one of the girls was named Minx. Being that I love old time radio shows I remembered those characters from Zero Hour, a Ray Bradbury story from the 50's about aliens using kids to launch an invasion. Sadly the TV show sucks, I watched the first season and the acting was wooden and the situations just seemed unbelievable, sadly what I find for most tv shows.

One of the better clips is available online.

There was a tv show in the 90's when Ray Bradbury did a tv show of his stories.

Old Time Radio is a good medium to review since you need to show and describe the action by voice and words. I get a lot of good insight to improve my writing from it, plus some plots that inspire some of my own.

Been awhile since I posted, mostly because I had nothing new or witty left to say after all the rp's got going. September was an ok month, got some new ones and updated a few older ones. Now with October things go on, and I am coming up on my one year here. Now to be reflective. I think that seems to be a given.

So a rocky start with a few rps that came one, met some nice people, plots started but didn't clock after awhile. A couple did and still go on, those ones will be special to me, more due to the time I have invested in the characters and how well I know them.

Over time I picked up a few more and its been great playing multiple roles, I tend towards more history and romance because i am not really a jerk at heart (though I am playing one now and its hard because I keep wanting to change his reactions, but seriously know I have it when I cringe and think "I wouldn't do that!"). I love history, especially the American Colonial era, and continue to read historical fiction because I love it. Always finding new favorites, especially recommendations from partners.

Met some wonderful partners who I chat with, probably too much, it's been nice to think of all the fun I have had over the past year. Thanks a bunch to all of you!

Happy Taiwan Independence day! 10-10!! wooo

Lately I have been catching up with some old paperbacks on Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe stories, I have a lot of paperbacks I want to get rid of, but I can't until I read them one more time. They are much quicker than I remember, and its always amusing how each book has a main woman love interest, some return time and again, as well as a main antagonist who dies in the fighting near the end. Makes for a nice setup in each one.

Though I have a book on order at the library, I think it finally arrives yesterday, I needed a break from the Napoleonic war and picked up a Ruth Rendell book, the Girl Next Door. Its been awhile since I have read an English mystery, this one was about a group of kids during World War II who were in the area when a murder was committed. Slowly over the book the scene of it all, and the details of the kids relationships is revealed, so its was a different type of story than I usually pick up. Overall it was meh, I didn't much care for reading about old English people realizing that the lives they thought they were leading were not what they thought. This is what I get for just grabbing something off the shelf, its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get.

Still the story did move along, I wasn't completely drawn in, but since I have the second book of the Wayward Pines novels waiting, I am looking forward to that. Loved the series and apparently the books are still popular, waited 2 weeks for the book to get to the library. Can't wait to pick that one up!

Picked up a book at random from the shelves and it was Ship of the Dead, the third book of the Omega Days stories by John L Campbell (I finished Wayward and working on The Last Town now, but more on Wayward Pines later!!), and while I have never been a fan of zombie apocalypse fiction this one was not so bad. I did like the settings he used, and how the dead were described as moved. Some of the characters are downright horrid people, but in the coming zombocalypse you don't get to choose who is going to be around for a bit.

Anyway, at this point, with all the zombie literature around...does anyone NOT know that you kill a zombie with a shot to the head? I mean come on, how many people live in a hole and don't know this? I may have to ask around. Just for fun.

I will check out the first two books, since I liked the third, even without knowing anything about what went on before. It was a good, fun read. The characterization was good, the way they interacted kept spot on throughout, even when they were fighting hordes of the dead. And I learned that when you write about cannon fodder you don't get too much into the details, you let their blood flow and maybe throw in a detail or two to flesh it out, so to speak.

I agree!

Finally finished the Wayward Pines books, more on those later as I start the first Omega Days book. Zombies around Halloween, how appropriate.

So I finished Wayward and The Last Town all about the Wayward Pines. Without giving the idea away, if you saw the TV show then you know the premise, but the way it ends is completely different. My only issue with the books is how the first two end on complete cliff hangers, right in the middle of something big! The second more than the first, the first Pines you can read on its own and kind of get an idea of what is up. Wayward needs The Last Town to finish. Still, I thought they were good reads, and another take on that secluded town that you cannot leave premise. Kind of neat the way he did it, even the epilogue to the end ends with a one liner that makes you want to know more.

The people were believable, for the most part. A few times I am sitting here thinking that they would not do it, but those were few and far between. A nice balance between current story and flash back, though the subtle terror of the first novel kind of goes away once you learn what is going on, to be replaced with something else.

Not sure I got more than an enjoyable read from them, but it was a good series, glad I caught them all at once!

RE: My place of Proze and Doze...

For a bit I was really into Taiwan bands while I was learning Mandarin. This one was one of the creepiest and more interesting songs I have heard.

Might be an interesting rp idea in there.

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/JvMcoBIHQxQ[/video]

Been busy with work and not feeling well, so behind a bit on replies. Sorry all...will get back to all this weekend when I feel better to sit down and write. Ideas still come, just no desire to get it all out.

Thanks, catching up today I hope. :smile:

Back, I hope. Feeling better, funny how a simple cold a f weeks years ago can be more serious ad you get older. Must be all those super bugs I keep hearing about.

I saw this in someone's journal recently and it made me recall how in October I stepped into a local Lowe's (your Home Improvement Super Store!) and what do I see but on one side of the main aisle Christmas Decorations. It's OCTOBER!!! Even better, across from them on the other side of the aisle, Halloween Decorations. Like I expect. I thought there was a holiday war coming.

Come on though, let's get through one holiday at a time. Bad enough we skip Thanksgiving, and yes I know most stores sell more for Christmas than any other time of year (I buy enough presents this time of the year, thank you very much). But really, seems like its gotten worse every year. Just once, I'd like to celebrate and think about only the next holiday before we're jumping ahead. What's next, Valentine's in December since its coming up?

It irks me every year...urrgghhh

Just a thank you to all my partners, I feel blessed and lucky to have so many great rp's going at once that I look forward to do.

You are all wonderful and I will treasure you always!

And that's not just the vermouth talking.... =)

Sorry for all the slow replies, Thanksgiving lead up was busy with cooking (yes, I cook) and with all the work I kept throwing my back out. I ended up getting Sciatica quite a few years ago and when it flares up sitting and/or standing is hard, and sitting to write takes a bit until I can get a clear head.

My apologies for anyone I have kept waiting!

Latest book I read - A Clash of Kings. Yes I know I am behind the curve on it, and at least this time the books were waiting for me unlike when I read the Outlander series while the series was running, never have i waited 3 weeks for a book from the library before!

Anyway, it was a really good read. Still getting used to all the characters, but I liked the detail of the world and how the mystery builds up around the North. I am sure there are no surprises to anyone but me as I start the next one. I did like how the characters evolve in the book, some have motives that are never fully explained, but you know they are there, I think that is missing in a lot of writing these days. Things either need the big reveal, or the shock/twist ending, and often you don't get the right build up on things. I find that here and like it. The character focus for chapters is a nice change from just switching perspectives, which was refreshing.

For those who might ask, no I don't watch the show. Don't watch a lot of tv at home, nor do I have a lot of pay channels either. Could probably watch on DVD but the TV is solely for the weekend. So I will keep to the books and enjoy the detail there.

Nice to get back to work after being gone a week and finding only small fires. When I left for the first time in a year I was basically caught up, and I was afraid of what I was going to come back to. Someone always makes "improvements" and then it just messes everything up. I was so surprised it was not that serious that I felt good about it all at the end of the day, even though I have to still clean up messes.

Since getting through Clash of Kings I have read through A Storm of Swords and A Feast For Crows. I must say, there are a lot of characters and its interesting to see the ones that I like, and don't. It's kept me engrossed through, which is nice, though usually the series I tend to read along the lines (like Bernard Cornwell) tend to focus more on the fighting. One more and I have caught up with everyone else...still have not watched the TV show, I don't get those pay cable programs, but I tend to enjoy the books more anyway and these have been good.

Lately I have been on less, some have noticed, some not so much (though I have been on more than one partner who went on hiatus since she was on so little) either way partly its the season and partly I took on too many stories. I am at about a reasonable amount now and will stick about where I am, but with some changes going on at work (we are being acquired, not my first time for this though) and some studying I am going to need to do for new projects I won't have as much time as I used to. I don't want to leave here, BMR is a fun place and I enjoy the people and stories I have going on, but my activity will probably cut for a bit.

So just to make it clear, I'm not dead.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs[/video]

Back
Top Bottom