Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Mother's Trials (Tesora & Greeneyed23)

Greeneyed23

Pulsar
The world knew much change in the year 1099. The city of Jerusalem, for the first time in nearly 500 years returned to the control of the Christian nations, and the reins of power shifted from throne to throne and even into the hands of non rulers with a speed that startled them all.

Leaders of men found themselves pushed to rule themselves and though many refused, not all were so noble or wise. The war that would be known as the crusade also served another purpose.

Devious rulers sent many of their rivals to the Holy Land to fight for the glory of Christendom, knowing many would not return. This included the eldest son of William the Conqueror Robert who had failed to become king due to his lack of funds thus had had to take a duchy while his younger brother took the throne of the most powerful kingdom in Europe. Urged by his brother and Pope Clement Robert and his fellows had set out to free Jerusalem. Robert had taken a number of his friends and followers, but also quite a few of his enemies.

This included one Roland Eckert Lord of Salisbury. He had ascended to his title the same day he had been knighted in full after the death of his father in an hunting accident, then after wedding his betrothed and only just getting to know his newborn daughter he had been summoned by his king to serve as an advance guard for the oncoming Crusade and after making love to his wife a final time had left his home in 1093, a full three years before the rest of the Crusade was fully formed.

It was Roland who arrived in the Holy Land and began to recruit warriors while also fortifying the small holdings he could gather. By the time others had gathered he had taken a full twelve cities and then lead the attacks on Jerusalem and a number of other cities. Somehow his name was lost though and it was thought he had died before the others had ever arrived in the Holy Land.

Now he served with his fellows in the Knights Hospitaller guarding the sick and needy in the Holy Land. He had requested to go home many times but had always been needed for more duties. He did not know he was thought dead, thus did not know just what madness lay in wait for him.

William II knew he needed an heir else the throne would pass to Robert or maybe even Henry. But though he sowed his seed with wild abandon he had not sired even a single child. He had been told that he needed to wed a proper noble woman and only then would God see fit to bless him with child. With the news of Jerusalem's fall but also the news that Roland was dead, William set his aims upon the beautiful and wealthy Lady of Salisbury.

The dear lady had her own troubles. The nobles of Wessex were striving to wed their sons to her still young daughter, while her family and again the various nobles were all trying to befriend her son and use him to influence the mother. They had also demanded that she name someone as the new Lord claiming that Roland's death required it. Of course they wished it to go to her son whom they were also trying to convince to sell them his father's many holdings, along with his mother's, for a paltry sum.

This were but a few of the troubles the still young noblewoman faced. Her daughter was beginning to show interest in men, and her son was a angry angry boy who needed a father but refused to bond with any of her male family. His hate and rage were wild and explosive. It did serve one purpose however.

The boy hated William. Despised him with a wicked viciousness that could have got him killed were he not so young. On the King's last visit the boy had set fire to the royal carriage and had convinced the King it had been the captain of his own guard. In all things the boy was out of control and a strain on his mother but he also refused to accept that anyone could replace Roland as his father.

Only hunting seemed to calm the young man, who had already mastered his bow and was gaining a rather severe reputation both for his skill but also the brutality of his handling of matters. He had taken lately to shooting bandits through the hands and feet claiming as defender of the land it was his duty but as he was not the Lord of Salisbury he could not take their lives himself.

He frightened his sister and thrilled to it and always tried to anger his mother, often intentionally disobeying her simply to gain her attention. Though winter had fallen he continued to hunt daily and always refused a guard, having tricked the last into a series of traps where had left them until they had nearly starved.

The boy was another key point of the nobles complaints to his mother. They wanted him controlled, trained, and constantly they offered to do so for her, even offering prestigious apprenticeships for him. These and other offers were thrown upon the Lady of Salisbury on an almost hourly basis and every day they were increasing in both number and insistence.

Had it only been eight years. So long it had been since a man had held her close and told her of his love for her, since she'd woke to the sounds of a man crooning and holding a newborn. Sometimes it seemed like only yesterday she was kissing her beloved goodbye and seeing him off as he traveled to the Holy Land to fight the Turks and other days it felt like it had been decades. Here she was, only twenty-six years old with a nearly nine year old daughter and nearly eight year old son, both of whom gave her trouble one way or another. Especially her son. Lord knew that the boy needed a firm hand but she couldn't in good conscience marry a man and have him become lord of herself and of her son and daughter. Not when the land belonged to the boy in the death of his father. She'd done her best as a ruler to the people of Salisbury. Given that her son was but seven years old, she was allowed to do things in his name until he came of age at fourteen. Men and women alike were trying to befriend the lad and manipulate him and her daughter was constantly in awe of men who came in all their knightly splendor to call upon her. She was only eight for heaven's sake, and by far some seven years away at least from actually getting married.

Lady Elizabeth knew hers was a full plate. One would think her hands were full enough running the land and raising her two children but she also had to deal with the King coming to visit on a regular basis and her son's utter disdain for the man he had to call King. Aside from the king, neighboring lords were wanting to woo her as well but she was not one to be moved. Once long ago she'd been a lovestruck young lady with dreams of having a good husband to look after and love until the end of her days but after little more than a year of wedded bliss, he had taken up arms, and her life had become more complicated than she could of ever imagined.

She was certainly a lovely woman, still young in appearance with dark honey blonde hair and bright green eyes. Her skin was pale though her cheeks always seemed red and her body was slender, though not lacking the womanly curves of buttocks and breasts. For the moment her hair was drawn up off her neck rather than veiled as was proper for a lady of her standing and she was in the great hall, overseeing some documents from the steward while her brother continued his ramblings.

"You have to remarry Elizabeth. By God the lad's turning into a devil and you can't approve a betrothal of your daughter to anyone," George was saying and she sighed and thanked the steward quietly before looking at her elder brother. A lord in his own right with a wife and four sons, his own standing in the world was strong. He didn't have to worry about any sort of political upheaval with a good line of succession behind him. He'd been on her to remarry since she'd been told of Jerusalem's falling and Roland's death.

"You keep saying that my dear brother but you would be wrong. I do not have to remarry. I'm quite content in my widowhood," she said simply and then shook her head, walking to the nearest table. "And I do wish you would stop calling my son a devil. From what I hear your boys do worse than my son...Marry you say. The King is offering, take his offer you say. Well I say no. And what good would remarrying do me hmm? You know well how vehemently my son is toward His Majesty. It is by good luck that he's only seven for the way he speaks. And what happens if I were to marry His Majesty. Nay. It is best I stay as I am..."

Her brother looked at her with a frown before stepping toward her. "If you will not remarry, allow me to foster the lad. He's reached the age to be fostered and some good manly order might help curb him and his attitude. I'm your brother, do you not trust me to look after the boy, and teach him to be a good Lord..."

Elizabeth looked at him. "And what good would you do being his mentor when he doesn't mind you. He only ever minds me and even that is becoming rare. You taking him far from me will only make him worse," she said simply then waved her hand dismissively before returning to look at her papers.

"And what of Catherine....she'll be having her menses soon enough I reckon and you unable to make a match for her. You need a husband woman and being stubborn about it will get you nowhere," he said, resolute in his opinion. Elizabeth glanced at him and then looked away before watching as her daughter entered the great hall, walking with a lightness to her step and wearing her dark hair in a braid and one of her dresses better suited for play.

"Mother," she greeted and Elizabeth smiled at her, ignoring her brother as she closed up the ledger and walked toward her daughter.

"What is it darling?" she asked, smoothing the wild curls that had escaped the braid.

"Are we to be going to court soon? Nurse says that the King's invited us all to London. If you go will I be able to go too? I'm nearly old enough," she argued primly and Elizabeth smirked.

"Not nearly old enough as you think. And no we shall not be going to court until the Spring. After Christmastime and when the snow melts...Court is not so fun as you think it is my love...Have you finished your lessons for today?" she asked her curiously and her daughter nodded and then bit her bottom lip.

"Is the King going to come for Christmastime?" she asked quietly and Elizabeth shook her head.

"No my darling. The King is much to busy running the country and funding the war to give much time to us and our house. Where's your brother?" she asked, rising and walking back to the ledger as Catherine wrinkled her nose at the thought of her brother.

"Out hunting...again...I don't think he will be back until supper..." As if recognizing her Uncle's presence, she blush. "Oh...hallo Uncle," she greeted then grabbed a bannock from a nearby tray before making her way up to her room.

George frowned and then looked to his sister, grabbing her arm. "You'll have to remarry. Were it not the fact that Roland's name was still attached to you, I'd marry you off myself. The king's offer is a fine one. You'll be queen...Have you no political ambition? When father made this match to Roland, he thought you'd be getting the best there was to be had and the King offers more..."

Elizabeth looked at him. "I've no desire to be a Queen. I desire only to give my son his inheritance and not be controlled by the likes of men like his Majesty..." she said simply. "I will not be some man's ornament. I am content with my life here and with my children. I'm not a woman who desires a husband and perhaps when my son is old enough and my daughter wed I shall retire to a convent...now if you'll excuse me, I've got to find my son and I've got to finish up work on these accounts. If you are saying for supper, it is served at nightfall. Good day to you brother," she said, giving a curtsey before walking upstairs to her study if only for a bit of peace and quiet before the evening meal.

Nathan Eckert was still as a bone. He was high in a tree his eyes locked on a large buck.

He waited and waited and waited.

He had had to learn to hunt by himself. None of the so called teachers were any good at it and none of the so called men who tried to take he trusted and his damn father was dead. The bastard.

His sister Cathy was no help either. She only wanted pretty dresses and boys and he couldn't get her to focus on anything else.

He slowly let out his breath as he drew back the string of his bow which had an impressive eighty pound pull. Nathan had inherited his father's incredible strength but he always put it to his own inherent strength and skills rather than anything from his absent father.

He let the arrow loose and it buried itself into the buck's side and punched a large hole all the way through to the other side, going right through the heart. Nathan smirked as the beast fell. No other seven year old could fell a three year old buck by themselves.

He wished he could show this to his dead father.

-------------------------

Roland did not even know his son existed, nor did he know the troubles his beloved wife was enduring. He had assumed that though she was far too beautiful for Wessex she had chosen and loved Roland, and had remained a relatively unknown personage, not due to her lack of skill or ability but due to her own lack of ambition. Who could know of her?

Besides she had to know he would come to her.

Even know he studied the metal etching of her in his locket and smiled stroking the image then kissed it. "My dear Elizabeth...perhaps someday soon."

He stood off his cot and stepped out of his tent.

December in the Middle East is truly nothing to enjoy. it is overcast, bitterly cold at night, and often leads to a number of angry skirmishes between the various sects. Including the one he was guarding now. Muslims, Christians, Jews, and even several other pilgrims were all going to the Holy City Jerusalem for one reason or another.

Roland studied the sleeping people with a rather cold eye. Tall even for an Englishman and built along the lines of a castle tower with powerful yet lean muscle covering his body, scars from his many battles all over his flesh, including his face, where a rather jagged zigzagging line dragged from his right eyebrow down other his eye to just above his lip. Another curved from the corner of his left eye around along his cheek bone halting an inch away from his nose, which had been broken so often it had lost a large portion of it's thickness and was much straighter now.

He was in his order's colors and festooned with weapons. He had four swords two short broadswords on his hips with battle daggers above them both, while massive long blades were crisscrossed on his back while two more battle daggers were held in blade below them. he had throwing knives, daggers, a longbow and matching arrows, and a few dozen others on him at all times. His long black hair and beard hung everywhere falling to the middle of his back and chest.

He studied the sky and gave a long sniff and pulled on his gauntlets then tapped his metal fingers against his breastplate. His adjutant looked over and with only a look nodded and lit his torch. The archers drew arrows and started looking for the trouble.

------------------

William might have finally been sated for the night. Constance was truly a gifted lady and always pleased him well, while David always filled him perfectly. Now he was flopped in his throne wearing only his dressing gown watching Matthew, Sara, Caleb, and Portia striving to please him with a show of their bodies and sex.

He chuckled and nudged his steward. "Think Elizabeth would enjoy this?"

"I highly doubt it Sire."

He grunted. "You're probably right...still when she marries me she will have to do what I want."

"Of course Sire."

"Too bad about Roland. I heard he was an impressive man."

"I wouldn't know Sire."

--------------------------------

Roland sheathed his blades silently after flinging the blood off. The attackers had been hardline extremist separatists and this but the latest in their attacks Roland and his order had fended off. Roland was beyond sick of it. By his count there had been two hundred of them this time, though he had five hundred of his finest guarding these ten thousand pilgrims. He didn't like the numbers but his order was not yet large.

He was truly tired of this. He had recruited more than ten thousand members into the order that guarded the entire coast line and most of the Holy Land itself personally, had been leading pilgrims to Jerusalem almost weekly even before the city fell, and was constantly fighting to protect them and the new Kingdom of Jerusalem. He wanted to go home.

"I'm asking to go home again."

His adjutant nodded. "You should. You look tired milord."

Roland nodded. "Tired of fighting. Tired of killing. Tired of all the politics."

His adjutant nodded agreed. "I agree milord. Fortunately I can just go home whenever I want. I wish you could too."

"Thank you Ishim. You are a fine man." He grinned. "Even for a Muslim." It was their inside joke which was finished by, "And you fight well for a Christian milord."

The joke was old as Ishim had been Roland first's friend upon arriving in the Holy Land and only a few hundred of the several thousand men Roland recruited had been Christian. The Muslims that had joined him wished for a change in the rules concerning access to Jerusalem, and also wished protection and to serve their people. It had amazed the other Christians that proved so true until they learned that the governor of the city had decided that only certain religious leaders could enter the city.

Now the Muslims and Jews shared the Holy Places as best they could with the Christians and protected by the Knights Hospitaller in all things, currently led by their Grandmaster Blessed Gerard and in military affairs Grandmaster Roland Eckert. Of course they had yet to be confirmed by the Vatican meaning they officially did not yet exist nor did they truly use such titles but Gerard had insisted in honoring his friend with the title.

Roland grunted watching the pilgrims struggle to return to rest. "These people really do make me laugh. I admire their zeal but their lack of reality troubles me. Everything for some rocks that Christ may have walked on? For a destroyed and desecrated Temple... what do they gain by seeing these?"

Ishim smiled. "Closure milord. Just as you will when you return home."

"I suppose so. Still..."

Ishim laughed. "I understand milord. It is hard to separate yourself in such matters."

Elizabeth looked at her son. It was Christmas time and his birthday. Her brother had gone to his own keep, finally and all seemed to be quiet in the keep. It was only herself and young Nathan still awake and she slowly walked toward him as he sat before the fire, quietly and pensively, far to serious for a young boy to be. She wondered if it was her fault. Wondered if marrying someone while he had still been a babe would of eased him. He was a troubled boy who needed a father but she'd never been able to give herself up to the idea of giving him a stepfather. She didn't know with certainty that her Roland was dead. Her brother said she still mourned him and the King told her there was only certainty that a man gone so long no longer breathed air but she held out her hope that he was well and would come home to her. His death had supposedly happened five years ago and she was not finished mourning him. Slowly, Elizabeth settled beside her youngest child and then held out a cloth that covered an object beneath. Something that had been Roland's. A broach he'd entrusted to her but one that she thought was now for her son to keep as a reminder of his father, even if he had never known him.

"You look very serious my darling," she mused quietly, brushing aside a lock of his hair before taking his hand, placing the gift in his palm. "I thought perhaps to give you this....you see it was your father's..." she told him gently, keeping her voice mild as she spoke to him. "He gave it to me when we wed. It's a broach with the crest of the Eckert family. You could wear it with your best cloak...Your father would have wanted you to have it..." she told him, her voice ever gentle as she slowly pulled him into her lap, kissing his forehead. "I do wish you had known him Nathan. He was a good man, strong and honest...I know that you have no desire to listen to any men and well...It is not your father's fault that he died in battle. He went to war to do his duty by the King and the pope...and his own honor...if he had stayed he would of been a coward you see...?" she asked softly then brushed his hair back. "I just want you happy, and I don't know how to make you happy my darling. I try very hard...to help you when I'm able, to do what I can for you but when you set fire to the King's carriage, funny as it was, it's rather unbecoming of a young Lord and such behavior might get you killed. If it weren't for the fact that you are heir to a large amount of land and title, you would of been sent to a prison or hung for attempting to kill the man who rules over us...I don't want to see you killed or hurt for your behavior...and I want only the best for you...I'm sure your father would desire the same...were he here to speak to you himself..."

Elizabeth sighed, holding him close to her heart. "You are my son, and I desire only what is best for you but I need you to help me my love for I cannot do it much longer by myself. I need your help..." she whispered softly and then kissed his brow, looking into his sweet face, a young childlike version of his sire. "Will you promise to be more helpful and to not run off. I know you can care for yourself but others might try to use you against me, to get what they want and I don't want you hurt. The world is a dangerous place my darling and you are part of my soul. It would wound me deeply to have something terrible happen to you...Please...will you at least do that for me sweeting?" she asked gently before framing his face. "I want you to be the best person you could be Nathaniel Eckert...Promise me you will aye?" she asked him, her voice soft as she looked at his face and then kissed his cheeks before drawing back slightly. "Please..."

Nathan started to yell the moment she touched him but then she started to speak. He had always loved his mother's voice. Even his anger could not stand up to it soothing effects.

Then she was touching him. He tried to stay angry but as always she was so gentle and sweet to him.

Then he looked into her face and sighed. She needed him? Why?

Finally he couldn't take anymore.

"Mother...Mom. I'm sorry... I'll try." He leaned up and kissed her cheek and despite his anger put the broach on his chest. "For you."

He snuggled into her chest. His anger was still there but he was not foolish enough to blame her. And he did love his mother. More than anything. For her he would try. "Mom...can you sing for me? Please?"

His hands captured one of hers and began to study it playing with the lines, something he did without knowing why, unaware his father had often done the same stroking Elizabeth's tender hands always marveling at the differences. Roland's large hands had long held scars from hunting and fighting and seemed made to destroy while Elizabeth's seemed made to comfort and heal.

------------------

Roland watched the last pilgrim enter the city with a sigh.

"Are we done yet Ishim?"

"Yes milord. Do we go speak to Godfrey and Gerard now?"

Roland nodded tiredly.

Twenty minutes later he was no longer tired. He was furious. As were Ishim, Godfrey and Gerard.

"They sacked Damascus?! How fucking dare they?!"

"Godfrey please-"

"Shut up Gerard." The uncrowned king of Jerusalem pointed at Roland. "My friend I am sorry but you have to find these beasts and bring them to justice. I want them brought in alive for judgment. No one else can do it."

Roland glared at his friend then slowly nodded. "Fine. But I want another thousand men."

"I can't-"

"Damascus is one of the best defended cities in the land. I cannot bring them in alive with only five hundred exhausted knights. Give me the thousand or I refuse to do it."

Godfrey tensed at the threat and glared back at Roland, having to look up at his glowering friend burning blue eyes. Finally he sighed and nodded. 'You have your thousand."

Roland nodded. "Ishim I want all fifteen hundred fed and mounted by dusk. We ride tonight."

Ishim nodded not liking the plan but knowing they had no choice and left to obey.

Roland growled. "Now I want out."

"Roland you can't-"

Roland snarled at the two making them flinch. "I've fought a thousand battles for the pair of you. I have a family waiting. I want to go home. you keep saying just one more. You have done for six months now. I want to go home."

"But we need-"

"Shut up. I've offered you a dozen men who can do the job just as well as I."

"You know that is not true. They won't follow anyone like they follow you."

"Then keep Ishim. They will follow him. By the time you need to show yourselves to the Pope he'll have trained your new Grandmaster and he can go home too. But I'm done with this. I've been here longer than both of you and I'm beyond tired. I've fought everyday since arriving. I've had enough."

"Roland you can't shirk you duty like this. It's-"

"DUTY!?" Both men jumped at his shout. Roland pointed down at the floor. "I came here six years ago. You want to know how many other English knights were here then? Two. And they were both killed within minutes of arriving. I have fulfilled my oath. I made this all possible by the grace of God and aid of my friends. I have seen the taking of Jerusalem. I was the first through the wall. What more do you want from me?"

Neither could answer that. Roland nodded and let out a long sigh. "I will give you a month to appoint a new military leader. But I want a ship to Rome and I want your assurances that Ishim and the Muslims that helped us will never be punished in any way. And you will keep my other promises to them and the people. I also want all the gold you have promised me."

This made Godfrey grin. "Getting greedy in your old age?"

"No. But if I am to ensure the Pope leaves me alone it is best to have a suitable offering."

All three men nodded. They hated that such truth existed but life had altered the station of the Pontiff.

"Very well...agreed. A month."

Roland smiled. "And no extensions if either of you try that rubbish I'm going to tell the knights." They both knew this was no idle threat. The knights adored Roland.

They nodded. "Agreed again."

"Thank you my friends. I'm going to get some food and a nap then I'll go get the raiding bastards."

"Very well. Rest well."

Roland nodded and went to do as he said.

Godfrey chuckled. "I must say it. I will miss him."

Gerard nodded sadly. "And I. He'll never even make the history books according to the Vatican now."

"Doubt he cares. He has Elizabeth at home. At that little girl. Remember Catherine?"

Gerard nodded smiling. "Such a wee lovely thing. I'm sure she is going into a fine lady like her mother."

"Aye...."

"Aye...I'll sing to you," she whispered and then kissed his forehead before singing one of the Gaelic ballads her Irish mother had taught her when she'd been as small as Nathan. All the while hoping that this attempt at trying to soothe him would help in the long run.

-----

"I can't wait to get married," Catherine said with a romantic sigh as she collapsed into the chair close to the fire. Elizabeth looked up at her, raising a brow at that particular statement. Catherine of course, was nearly nine years old, her birthday merely a month away now that Christmastime had come and she and her brother were the same age. Nathan had been earlier than she'd expected him to be. A frail babe, more than once they had feared for his life in the wee hours of his life but he'd survived. A tough boy was her son and it made them both the same age for nearly two months which Catherine did not like.

"Oh...?" Elizabeth prompted her daughter, knowing that she should already be in a betrothal contract by now. George's words echoed in her head and she brushed the thought away, continuing to mend away at one of Nathan's shirts. "And what makes you so impatient to enter into matrimony...?" she asked of her and Catherine smiled.

"Uncle was telling me how married ladies get to go to court and wear fancy dresses and dance all night and I just think how wonderful it would be to be married."

Elizabeth looked at her and shook her head. "Marriage is hardly an endless forray of dancing and fancy dresses my darling..." she told her and Catherine frowned.

"How would you know mother? You weren't married very long before father died. I don't even remember him..." she said.

"I was married long enough. Your father and I were together for a year and some odd months before he left for the wars in the East. We had to learn to live together and learn about each other. Courting doesn't allow for very much familiarity but I did love him. And I do much the same now as I did when he resided here with me. I oversee the house, the servants, and play a good hostess for those that visit. And I take care of you and of Nathan...but I also have the responsibility of a man in caring for the people of this land, holding court, keeping the peace with our subjects. You speak of fancy dresses and dancing but a wife's duty is to her husband and that means doing as he wishes. I was lucky to have a husband that respected my opinion and didn't hit me if I displeased him. Such things are not always so common. Marriage can be very difficult and it is not so fun as you think it is..."

Catherine sighed and then grabbed up her needlework. "You make it sound terribly dull..."

Elizabeth smiled and then lifted her head as a servant entered and bowed. "My Lady. His majesty has come to pay a visit..." the servant spoke and Elizabeth sighed. It had only been a week since Christmas. The trouble with living so close to London was that the king could come to her home in a day's journey and pester her with the idea of marriage. Lord she hoped Nathan didn't cause a scene this time, she thought and then set aside the shirt before walking from the room and leaving Catherine to her devices as she went downstairs to the great hall to greet the King. She walked to him and gave her finest curtsey.

"Your Majesty, your presence is quite a surprise," she said simply, not at all surprised but putting on a brave front. "What brings you here on this rather cold and blustery day?" she asked simply.

"I merely wished to visit the two most lovely ladies I know." he gave bow, his circlet gleaming upon his head as he kissed Elizabeth's hand then did the same for Catherine making the girl blush.

Though only of average height and build William was a handsome man and could be very charming when he wanted to be. But while Catherine found him charming, his eyes had no trouble in dragging over Elizabeth with a lust filled hunger and rested upon her breasts for far too long.

"I have brought gifts." he gestured behind him as a pair of large chests were brought in. 'A humble gesture of my esteem for this lovely home and the ladies within."

He made sure not to mention Nathan at all and had stationed guards around and in his carriage to watch for the boy.

"I trust I may presume upon your hospitality ladies?"

---------------------------

Roland growled and rolled his eyes. Godfrey smirked and winked at his friend.

They were at court listening to the complaints of a known false witness against a man they both knew to be innocent but they were required to listen to him.

The real trouble with the bastard was that he insisted on using the largest and oddest words he could even when utterly wrong.

"My lords I must acquaint you with the spurious, calamitous, pernicious, and repulsive essentiality of Lord Tisham's malfeasance. He is without a doubt the most loathsome and objectionable of personages it has been my sad commission to congregate with. I must insist you prosecute him with all possible haste and prejudice."

Godfrey rolled his eyes. "Do have any actual evidence of any crime or are you simply going to claim he is a danger to you because he is a Muslim?"

The witness, a little weasel named Rudolphous, blinked hesitating then shook his head. "Milord just because he is a Mohammaden has nothing to do with it! He has violated the most holy and divine of orders! He has murdered! With a vicious and cruel intent!"

"And who exactly is eh supposed to have murdered?"

"Why our good neighbor Goodman Jeod!"

Roland barked laughter at that and Rudolphous scowled at him. "Milord I trust I need not remind you that your attack dog has no right to judge my statement!"

"True you do not. Unless he happens to have evidence pertaining to this matter."

Rudolphous smirked at Roland who smiled at him sweetly. "Rudolphous of Malta you have a lustrous tongue and your reputation is well known. But sadly you have made a serious mistake." He gestured to his men and first brought forth Lord Tisham, a very noble elderly man, helping him sitting.

"My Lord Tisham As-salamu alaykum. Are you well?"

The man nodded. "Wa alaykumu s-salam friend Roland. I am indeed well. What has brought me here today? Oh good morning Lord Godfrey. All is well?"

Godfrey nodded at the old man also smiling. "It is indeed old friend."

Rudolphous scowled at the friendly greeting and started to speak but Roland cut him off. "Now my Lord Tisham I must admit that there is a small bit of trouble here today. Rudolphous here has accused you of the murder of your neighbor Jeod. Now I am certain that this is merely a misunderstanding and Rudolphous is simply trying to be a good servant of our Lord. Allah Himself would agree that reporting a crime is necessary does he not?"

Lord Tisham was a well known scholar of Islamic text and an extremely devout man, known for his charity and goodness. He nodded. "Allah the Wise does indeed call for service to one's neighbors."

Roland nodded. "Even so. Now I am well aware of the friendship between yourself and Goodman Jeod. Is there any reason the two of you might grow angry enough at each other to do each other harm?"

Lord Tisham laughed. "No. Nothing in this world." His eyes widened. "Has Jeod been harmed?"

"Allow me to answer that question in a moment my lord." Tisham nodded but still seemed concerned. "Now it is also well known that Goodman Jeod, another scholar in good standing much like yourself though in the texts Christianity. It is often said that he is just as well known and respected as you yourself."

Tisham bowed his head humbly. "Good Jeod is far my superior. His knowledge humbles me. I have enjoyed many a discussion and healthy debate with him. Roland I must admit I am very concerned. is dear Jeod alright?"

"Again I must ask for a delay in that answer my Lord." Tisham nodded again still very concerned.

Roland turned to Rudolphous. "Now just when was Lord Tisham supposed to have committed this murder?"

"Why late in the evening last night." He smirked sure that he could not be refuted.

Roland turned back to Tisham who now looked angry. "My Lord Tisham could you tell me where you were last night?"

"Having dinner with you and my son Ishim Roland! What is this?"

"Forgive me again my Lord." Roland turned to Rudoplhous who had gone snowy pale now. Roland gestured at his men who brought Jeod out. He was very much alive but his left arm was in a heavy wrap and sling. Upon seeing Rudolphous he snarled. "You lying bastard! How dare you!"

Tisham sighed in relief at seeing his friend then blinked in confusion as Roland moved between Jeod and Rudolphous. "Easy my friend. please sit and rest. Guards?"

Rudolphous was seized by four men while Roland helped the wounded man sit.

Godfrey spoke now. "You see Rudolphous you made a serious mistake. You tried to increase your crimes from perjury to murder. You were not made for such things. Jeod survived your poor thrusts and came to me less than an hour after you attacked him. Gave compelling evidence as well. For the attempted murder of Jeod and the attempted perjury and transfer of blame of murder to an innocent man I sentence you to death."

Rudolphous shrieked. "What evidence?"

Godfrey waved and several servants stepped forward. "These eyewitnesses, the dagger you used that this man-" He gestured at a blacksmith, "sold to you and which you left in Jeod's back."

"it is a lie!! I...I have never...I have been trumped up!"

Godfrey laughed. "By Jeod's own servants? I doubt it. Nor these knights who saw you burning the bloody clothes. Goodbye."

Rudolhphous' glare went to the knights ion question, but when he realized that Godfrey had gestured at Roland and Ishim he froze. "We had escorted Lord Tisham home when we smelled the fire and peeked into your backyard and saw it."

Rudolphous stared in horror as he was dragged away.

Roland smirked and gently touched Tisham's shoulder. "Forgive me for the delay milord?"

Tisham nodded looking at Jeod. "Are you well my friend? Are you need of a surgeon or healer?"

Jeod sighed shaking his head. "Nay. Thank you my friend. And forgive my anger. But to lie about such things..."

Tisham smiled. "I would be just as angry if someone tried to impugn your honor. Lord Godfrey may I ask a favor?"

"Of course."

"Could I stay with Jeod here while he is tended to? We were scheduled to host a joint lesson everday for the coming week but as he cannot travel..."

"Oh of course. Already arranged actually. Jeod had the same idea."

Both scholars laughed and after Roland and Ishim helped them to their feet they went off to their lesson laughing and already discussing obscure bits of their lore.

Godfrey looked at Roland and sighed. "You really want to leave this? You miss people like Jeod and Tishim?"

"Of course I will. But not as much as I do my family. Two weeks and five days Godfrey."

Godfrey nodded. "I've already found the ship. And gathered your gold. But the ship won't be in port until the day your month ends."

Roland nodded. "Good enough. I need to get home."

Godfrey nodded again sighing. "I still wish you would stay."

Roland laughed. "Just because I found the raiders and brought them in alive doesn't make me irreplaceable. Ishim had a huge part of that."

"I suppose."

------------------

William had taken it upon himself to sit at Elizabeth's table and demand mead and food and set upon it with a polite yet furious hunger.

"You know Elizabeth if we were to marry I could easily find suitable suitors for both Catherine and Nathan. They could even become the ancestors of a future King." He did not believe that but such a white lie sounded pretty.

"I must say you do look ravishing this evening Elizabeth. It is well you rarely come to court. You would be the envy of the ladies and the object of desire of the men."

Elizabeth knew the King meant to spend the night in her home. She would just have to make sure to lock the door and keep her children with her. She would hardly put it past William to use one of her children to get what he wanted nor did she trust his men with the welfare of her daughter. Catherine was still a child but held the promise of beauty and grace and some men would desire an innocent child in their bed. Something she would certainly not allow. She sipped at the broth before her. A small feast had been laid out of a fine venison. Parts were stewed, others roasted and there was of course apple tarts and dried fig paste to go on the fresh baked bread. The ravenous way in which William ate made Elizabeth wish she'd asked for less at supper but one had to make exceptions when entertaining the king.

Grabbing her glass of honeyed wine, she took a sip before lowering the goblet to the table. Ravishing was of course not how she would describe herself this evening. She'd opted to veil her hair as was proper of a married woman and wore a simple dark green gown, a circlet of silver holding her veil in place. "Your Majesty, I fear I am not a woman who is set on the idea of marrying once more. At least not yet. Many who had supposedly fallen on the battlefield of Jerusalem have come home. Why, was it not Lord Edward of Pemberely who came home only a year ago...I was told but my husband was dead, as was Lady Pemberely and what a surprise it was for her to be remarried and with child with Lord Edward returning back from the dead. What a mistake it would be if my husband returned to find me re-married aye?" she asked, looking at him before brushing her hair back from her face and stole a glance at Catherine.

"I do thank you for the necklace and I'm sure Catherine is thankful for her new ring though her small finger could wear such a thing now. She's much to young...but I do thank you..." Swallowing, she took a deep breath and then took another sip of her wine. She didn't say anything about his demands of her food nor of how he'd placed himself in the largest chair reserved for the Lord of the Keep and surrounding villages but it did make her angry. However, showing her angry would do little but anger him and then where would she be if he decided to seize her lands for treason. It was a fine line she walked in refusing his suit. He'd do better with a French alliance that might better secure their border but dared not say that. Offending the king could indeed be treason and she had two children to think about.

"Should I have one of my servants prepare a room for your majesty or will you be traveling further before nightfall?" she asked him curiously.

"Yes I will need a room thank you Elizabeth."

His eyes continued to drag over her with the same lust, ignoring the little shit behind her.

----------------------

Nathan refused to ever eat with the King, but that did not stop him from watching the King with the same hate as ever in his eyes, though he was careful not to let the King see that nor his mother or sister. he knew full well Catherine would berate him about it and his mother would not like him giving away his feelings about the King.

He did get one of the maids to slip his mother note though.

"Mom. His guards are drinking all the wine and have all the serving wenches around with them. I got Catherine to go upstairs and try on your jewelry but they are getting rowdy. What do you want me to do?" Angry as he was the boy was not stupid and knew that he could not do anything with twenty full grown and armed and armored men.

----------------

Hours and many miles later his father had similar problem but unlike his son he had a solution far more dynamic than telling his mother.

Roland had followed a slaver into the heart of the city and found him surrounded by bodyguards, and himself cut off by a thick gate. At a quick count there was twelve of them, in addition to six archers. First he drew down on the six archers and silently killed them all, shooting them all from the front the force of the impact forcing them to fall back. As he snuck about killing them he moved every closer to his target, who was discussing the sale of children of various ages to known deviants. Roland smiled to himself and shook his head.

he crawled to a point right above them all and first dropped a small barrel of old mead he had found. Right into the fire. it exploded straight up but the force winded those surrounding, while the suddenly hot mead splashed over them. As they screamed he dropped down letting his weight drive his blades through two on one side and a third on the other, then he wrenched his body spinning slashing throats, cutting off headings and limbs with rapidity and brutality that in mere moments left him the sole living being in the room save the slaver.

The slaver held up his hands and began to beg. "please sir? Do not kill me. I will do anything! You can have all my stock! All my profits!! Please!?"

Roland's eyes narrowed as he moved toward the man. "in the name of the holy Trinity and the Holy City you have defiled with your despicable actions, i name you corpse."

"What? Wait! I-" Roland spun on his heel bringing his blade down at a harsh angle and thus cut the man's head off. he then found the keys and profits and set about both freeing and paying the slaves so they could get safely home. When asked why by a small girl he touched her face lightly. "because I have a daughter about your age. now get home little one."

Elizabeth looked at the note in her hand and then tucked it into her skirts. "I will seek to arrange that now Your Highness," she said simply then rose, walking from the room and putting a guiding hand behind her son. She went to the healer's room, grabbing a sleeping powder and then walking to the kitchens. After pouring the contents into a jug of wine, she ordered one of the servants to take it down for the king's guards to drink it but ordered that the servants not do so. It was hardly poison but it would ensure none of her servants were raped and would make them sleep through the night. If only she could do the same to William.

"Jane...have the best guest room we have prepared for His Majesty," she ordered another and the woman nodded and left, leaving mother and son alone.

"Best you go up to my chambers and keep Catherine with you. I'll be up shortly and don't cause trouble my love. But I do thank you," she told him and then kissed his cheeks before motioning him toward the stairs. Gathering up her skirts, she returned to the great hall, curtseying before William and then clearing her throat. "Your Majesty. If you are finished eating, I fear I must take my leave of you this evening. I have accounts to finish and I have to spend some time with my children. I'm sure you'll find all well and one of my servants will kindly take you to your room once it's been prepared. It shan't take long. Do you require anything else before I take my leave?" she asked of him, keeping her face clear knowing that if the men downstairs in the tap room were imbibing much then she would hear snores before she retired. It was already dark outside and she'd dosed the wine pretty liberally and no one would be the wiser. If only she could find a way to slip some of that sleeping powder into the King's wine.

He blinked at her request but nodded slowly. "Very well then. Good evening Elizabeth." He was much too full to do much of anything else tonight anyway.

Once Elizabeth was gone William finished eating and had the servant take him up. he was suddenly not feeling well. he started to undress sitting on the edge of the bed, then without warning flopped over into a deep sleep.

-------------

The servant, Jessica, smirked as she walked away from the guest room hearing the King's heavy snores. When she had taken the wine to the king's men she had poured out a small measure for the King and had put the measure into his next plate of venison. The bastard would not touch her Lady or those precious children. And certainly not Jessica or her own children.

She slipped a note under her lady's door alerting her to the events. She knew she might get in trouble for drugging the King, but she didn't care. Lady Elizabeth had been taking care of Jessica and her family for years and she deserved the same in return.

------------------

Nathan was watching the sleeping guards grinning. "Are you sure I can't go set the carriage on fire again mother? We'd be free of more than a dozen wicked men."

--------------------

London.

The home of the English Crown. And currently holding party to a group of people, including Henry fourth son of William the Conqueror.

"Do you really think we can achieve the crown in such a manner?"

"Yes...but we must find the right way to eliminate William..."

Henry had not yet spoken but now did so softly. "He does goes hunting often."

"Aye.... but who can we get to aid us?"

"I am not sure. We shall have to begin sounding out possibilities."

"Very well. Everyone will begin speaking to his hunting fellows. See who might be open to helping us...or to receiving a ...gift."

Henry smiled at the thought. "Thank you my friends. Farewell."

He smiled watching them go and raised his hand before the light of the lantern sitting on the table before him. "Your madness had reached it's end brother." he blew out the lantern and left the chamber for his own bedchamber, silent and thoughtful, wondering who to speak to first.

Elizabeth laughed softly at her son and then led him upstairs. "No you silly goose. Now...get to bed. Sleep in my room tonight. I don't want you in trouble come morning just for crossing the king's path," she said simply and then followed him up to her chambers to find Catherine already curled up in her nightgown sleeping. She set Nathan to bed beside his sister and then saw the note left by Jane. She couldn't help but give an amused smile before tossing the note in the warm fire before moving behind a dressing screen. After getting in her own nightgown, she settled for the night on the bed with her children, her arm protectively across them.

------

Breakfast proved interesting. Most of his men were groggy, having fallen asleep where they'd been standing but none of them seemed the wiser to the drugging. After all, they'd been quite drunk when she'd put the herbs in the wine. She glanced at Catherine as she ate daintily, knowing Nathan would probably be in the kitchen to eat his meal since he was very much against having the King present in his home. And who could blame him. William was hardly the best of company but he was the king and so they had to act with decorum.

"I do trust your rooms were to satisfaction Your Majesty?" she asked of him as she spooned a bit of cinnamon oatmeal into her mouth. It even had bits of dried apples. She'd have to tell cook to make it again for the morning. She wiped her mouth daintily and then looked at Catherine with a smile, noting she'd put on one of her better frocks. She certainly was a pretty child.

Nathan wrapped protectively about his sister and smiled as his mother did the same to the two of them. Catherine may have been a pain but he had noticed how the guards and even the king had looked at her.

---------------

William yawned but nodded. He was in simply gorgeous green robes today and he was eating much more politely now. "my rooms were lovely. i slept like a baby. almost as well as i do at the palace. I hear you would like to come to the palace Catherine. Perhaps you would like to accompany when i return in three days? I have ball upcoming and I am certain you would find it most interesting"

He was watching her mother as he spoke. he was daring her to challenge him now. She could not argue with her child's wishes and dreams, and a royal invitation that seemed so innocent and they both knew it. he also knew that Catherine was likely too young and far too eager to say no.

To sweeten the deal he added, "i have several of the nobles of Normandy coming as well. They have many young men of marrying age. i am certain they would be delighted to make the acquaintance of such a lovely young lady."

He watched the child knowing the offer would be more than tempting to her, and curious just how Elizabeth would deal with it.

-----------------

Another reason Nathan ate in the kitchen so much was because there was an unused heatstove there that connected to one in the dining room that let him hear everything said in the other room.

When William made his offer Nathan winced. "Bastard. Come on Mum. Shut him down! He'll ruin Cathy in a heartbeat!"

Elizabeth felt a sickening chill run down her spine before she glanced at him but then Catherine was giving a gasp of surprise and innocent wonder as though she'd been given the greatest gift ever given. Her cheeks colored. "Oh mum really? Can I go?" she asked, her voice all to eager. Elizabeth knew the challenge and was quiet for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"Sweetheart...I...I don't think you're old enough to go to court on your own..." She trailed off, seeing the happiness in her child's eyes. Damn him. Damn him to hell. She put her spoon down and then took a deep breath before looking at the King, feeling trapped and it was something she hated before glancing at Catherine. "Sweetheart, if you will excuse yourself. I must talk to the King first," she said and watched as Catherine pouted before giving a nod and then getting up, walking from the room and to the kitchens. After she was gone, Elizabeth looked at the man whom she had to pledge fealty too, using her child against her to get what he wanted.

"I fear Your Majesty that Catherine, being only eight years old, is far to young to attend court by herself. I had plans to go to court in the Spring as I always do and take her with me then. Surely the invitation can wait until then...I cannot leave my estate for court at present and she's not even nine years old yet...nor is she old enough to have a marriage..." She swallowed, knowing the risk in questioning him. She wasn't creating treason but questioning his will might put him in a foul mood. "I know well how much she wants to attend court and I have every intention of taking her in the Spring...but I can't do it now...I hope you can understand that...Your Majesty," she said subserviently and then slowly looked up at him, breath bated as she waited on his response.

William smiled sweetly. "Surely you can have someone bring the young lady. Someone you can trust? if it cannot be you. The Yule ball should not be missed. you yourself really should come. but if not i shall have to insist that Catherine come."

His voice was soft as were the words but it was clear. he was commanding her to let the girl come. He ignored her arguments entirely watching her face. Now she would have no choice. Either give in or come, or take the chance and send the girl alone. William knew it and it delighted him.

---------

Nathan hissed. "Dirty fucker!"

"Nathan!"

he scowled at the remonstrative Butler. "Shut up." he bent nearer the stove praying for his mother and wishing all sorts of violent painful death upon William.

Looking at him, she took a deep breath before looking back at her keep. What to do, what to do? Her mind was reeling and finally she decided that she couldn't dare leave her daughter to the wolves of court, nor to him. She was certain the perverted man before her would hardly care for her daughter's welfare and so she had to go. Slowly, she looked down and then put her hands in her lap. "I suppose I will go with her..." she said after a moment, quietly defeated but he wasn't going to win this completely. Yes she would be going to court but she wasn't ever going to share his bed or his offer of marriage.

"I do hope you'll give me a day or two to make arrangements for while I am gone," she said then without his permission, rose and curtseyed. "If you'll excuse me," she murmured and then turned leaving from the room. She waited until she was out of sight and in a secluded part of a corridor before covering her face with her hand, turning into the wall and forcing herself not to cry. Lord what was she going to do? Court was certain to be quite a trial and she wasn't sure if she could survive it. And Catherine. Something terrible would happen to her if she didn't go with her. She was playing right into William's hands and she hated the very idea of being within his grasp. Taking a deep breath, she composed herself and then crossed herself before gathering up her skirts and heading into the kitchen. She would have to get her steward Daniel, head of House Jessica and her Head of Guard James to see to the arrangements and be in charge while she was gone. And Nathan. What was she to do about him? Take him to court? The very idea made her nervous only because of her son's pure hatred for the man who was their king. Seeing Nathan by the stove, she sank down and then brought him close, knowing he'd heard everything. Not having any idea what to do.

Nathan had either sensed or guessed at his mother's troubles. "take me along mom. I'll stay with Catherine. Keep her safe." he shrugged at the thought. "What other choice do you have? he won't let you stay with her but he can't send me away. Well he can but I'd just ignore him anyway."

His eyes looked much older than they were as he spoke. Much like his father's actually. He sighed watching her. "We can't let him have Cathy mom. I'll behave...for her."

------------------

Roland hated this.

He was now watching, for what seemed the millionth time, as a number of criminals were executed for their crimes. he felt no pity he was simply sick of seeing what was supposed to be a deterrent becoming something of a social event.

She looked at him and then smiled a bit. "Such a good lad you are..." she whispered then kissed his forehead before turning toward Jessica. "I do trust that you'll be able to keep the staff in order in my absence. You've done as much before but not on such short notice..." she said to the woman who she counted as a friend and one who obviously had seen to their best interests last night. She took a deep breath then looked at Nathan. "Go and pack your things. Tell your sister to do the same. We'll have to leave first thing in the morning...and it looks as though the king and his men will be spending another night here to ensure we come along," she murmured and then kissed her son's cheek once more before giving him a nudge toward the door. "Do you know where Master Daniel and Captain James are?" she asked of Jessica, feeling only a sinking dread at the idea of going to court but she was left without choice in the matter. She could only pray her family made it unscathed.

Nathan nodded rushing off to obey, though he was quite irritated that he would ahve to tell Cathy, knowing she would be all gaga over it. Still he did as he was told.

Jessica shook her head. "I am afraid not Milady. i have been ensuring the ladies have been in my sight all night. i do apologize. Shall i go find them?"

The other servants were watching nervously. Jessica had indeed kept the guards well away from them but they knew that it was really only a matter of time before they got past her.

"No...No I'll...I'll seek them out...I do thank you Jessica. You're a blessing to me in all this..." She said giving the woman's hand a squeeze. It had been Jessica to help birth both of her children. She could still recall Roland nearly tearing down the door when she'd been in labor with Catherine. Of course men weren't allowed in such a place but he'd foregone the rules to hold her hand as she writhed and cried in labor. The second labor with Nathan had been more difficult but he'd come through safe and sound after hours of pushing and being an early one. The look of fascination and pride on the face of Roland when he'd held Catherine had made her cry when she'd held their son. And now that Roland was supposedly dead, it was pure grief to know he'd never get to know what it was like to have such a strong willed son. A son that despite some of his anger problems, was a child to be proud of.

She walked into the yard and headed toward the barracks, finding the Captain of her Guard. She made sure to instruct him on the extra security in her absence and then had found her steward not long after, making sure to instruct him to keep everything in order and to use Jessica as if she were lady of the house while Elizabeth was gone to court. How long she was gone remained a mystery and she just hoped that the King didn't plan on trapping her there.

Once all of that was done, she went to her room to pack her belongings and then settled on her bed, clutching her rosary tight and shaking her head. "I do wish you were here with me my love. If you were the King would not be sending our daughter to that viper's nest," she whispered as if Roland were right in front of her. "You told me when you left to be strong but it is getting harder to be a pillar of strength when our children are in danger. I do wish you were home with me," she whispered softly, feeling the tears in her eyes. Wiping her eyes free of the moisture, she looked up at the ceiling, giving a prayer of strength to the Good Lord and a few Hail Mary's before slipping her rosary in the pocket of her dress, continuing with her packing.

When the time came for them all to leave William waited by the carriage with a wicked and sure little smirk upon his face. He rushed Nathan and Catherine into the carriage then aided Elizabeth in stepping up into the carriage then followed shutting the door.

They arrived at the palace a few hours later, William having been insufferable, complimenting Elizabeth and constantly trying to tell her about his arrangements for the two children, and urging her to accept his proposal.

The Eckerts were given only an hour to prepare before the Yule Ball's festivities began. William had the children sent to find something interesting to do, namely someone to keep an eye on Nathan while Catherine was flirted with from all sides, while he insisted upon escorting Elizabeth throughout the evening, making her dance with him and offering her much wine.

He was charming and the ball was bright and stunning but he also took no precautions letting her feel his everpresent erection grinding against her body and letting his lust filled eyes drag over her form, especially her cleavage. "You do look so very luscious my dear Elizabeth. you have been alone so long. Could you not use a man to remind you of the pleasures of life?"

He had already given several orders that held her and her children captive at court for as long as he wished, leaving her land in the hands of her servants.

Elizabeth had no desire to be here and had made her obvious distaste of it clear. Catherine was just a child, one of the youngest at court. A place made for adults who saw only lust and greed and she loathed it here. She was completely aware of the fact that now here, she would not be leaving and that her children were trapped here as well. Her children deserved better but Elizabeth ws only a woman and women had very few rights, especially with the King sniffing at her skirts. As he pulled her against him while they danced, she swallowed and turned away, feeling only disgust but not letting it show on her poised face.

"I fear I am a good Christian woman Your Majesty and I will not give myself to a man until I am married to him. And since I have no intentions of marrying anyone for a good long while yet I'm sure that my bed will remain quite empty. I have no desire to go to hell Your Majesty," she whispered softly, looking at him, glad when the music finished so she could break apart from him and give a curtsey before turning and trying to seek out Catherine. She hadn't imbibed as much as the man thought she had as far as the wine was concerned, tossing half of it back into plants or into other glasses when he wasn't paying much attention.

He wanted her pliant and willing well she had no intention of being either and after a long journey here and dealing with him for hours on end, she was just tired and ready to retire and she wished to retire in her suite with her children. Where in heaven were they?

William was all smiles until she spoke then he glowered at her angrily but he had to maintain appearances. He watched her go then reached out and grabbed a couple he had known well and whispered into their ear. they agreed immediately rushing to his rooms.

Nathan caught his mother's arm and gestured to a small couch where Catherine was asleep. "Mom we have to get her out of here. Several men have been trying to talk her into their beds."

He pushed her toward his sister quickly clearly scared. Catherine was much too heavy for him, but he had been able to drive off her pursuers, though his methods had rarely been kind or subtle.

She looked at her son and then nodded, lifting her daughter up and walking to their suit. Catherine smelled of wine and the idea that she'd been drinking wine instead of cider made Elizabeth angry but what could she do? Nothing. Closing her eyes, she kissed her daughter's forehead and settled her on the bed once they were in their room. "Lock the door Nathan and put the trunk in front of it. I'll keep the fire going..." she said then took off Catherine's shoes and her top dress so she was only in her chemise and then tucked her in bed for the night. After doing so, she undressed herself down to corset and chemise and then took out her rosary, whispering her prayers before glancing at her son and helping him with the trunk.

"You did very well tonight my love. I'm glad to have such a brave lad as you..." she mused and then lifted him up, settling herself before the fire. "I do wish we weren't here but I couldn't allow Catherine here by herself. I don't know how long we are going to be here either so I need you to be brave and strong for me. His Majesty has me here because...because he wishes to marry me and I keep denying him. I can't marry him. He's a cruel man and very selfish. Nothing at all like your father and he's going to try for as long as we are here until he grows tired of it...I just hope he doesn't do anything drastic," she sighed. "You're such a smart lad," she murmured then looked at him. "Come on then, let's get to bed....tomorrow, if I'm able, I'll take you both for a turn about the gardens..." she promised then motioned for him to get in the bed.

Nathan nodded to his mother's words. He knew or believed everything she said...except the stuff about his father. if he was so brilliant why wasn't he here? Got himself killed the prat.

Still he kissed his mother then got into bed, watching Cathy. She really was a clever girl but didn't use her brain. She was just so eager to get to what she thought she needed...

He yawned hard and closed his eyes drifting off the to sleep while still considering how to help his mother with William.

--------

Roland watched the sun with something like hatred. He should have been home with his wife but there was still some time before that could happen. Still he had the moment and crossed himself. "Father in Heaven protect my wife Elizabeth. guard her and those she cares for with your grace. And please help her with my daughter. help her keep the child safe in this dark world. And if it is your will let her know I do love her...Amen."

Ishim moved closer. "A fine pray my friend. i also have been praying to Allah the Merciful to give you what you wish and send you home."

"You are most kind my friend."

Ishim smiled. "Now my friend...we have work to do."

Roland sighed and nodded looking down at the small group of bandits he had just captured in the abandoned outpost. he looked back at the sun. "God have mercy upon their souls." And went down to handle these beasts pretending to be men.

Back
Top Bottom