Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Songs of the Heart (Ms_Muffintops and Josu_T

"Well then Battle Ship it is!" Alice squeaked sweetly as she dug through the box and pulled out the box for the game. The smile remained on her face as she placed it on the table between them and pushed the box of games to the side. She wasn't so sure why she felt such a strong need to make a good impression. Perhaps it was because of the way they had become acquainted. Every movement she made was being judges, although she knew it wasn't true.

She pulled out the board and unfolded it and dropped the ships onto the table. "To be quite honest, this is my favorite board game..." she confessed before biting onto her lip. "Jade always tells me it's a little boy's game but I can't help my---"

The petite blond haired girl nearly jumped out of her skin when she could hear the door knob turning with voices outside the door. "No.." she whispered, with a let down look on her face. Quickly, she stood up, right before the door went flying open, and three girls came walking in, two holding up Jade as she stumbled over herself. "She uh... is having an early night... she got kicked out of the bar.." one girl explained with a rather annoyed look on her face. The other nodded and rolled her eyes, "I told her not to start off with the strong stuff.."

Alice placed her hands on her hips and shook her head slowly, "Please... take her to her room..." she requested with a soft voice filled with disappointment. Her eyes shifted over to Luke as her cheeks turned pink.

Luke nodded when she said that they would just play battleship. That was fine with him. She started getting it set up and he started planning where to place his ships when the door knob started to turn. He was worried it was Jade returning home. He knew what Jade thought of him and also had an idea of how she would react if he was in her home with her roommate. He started looking for soemwhere to hide or some way out.

As the door opened he moved to the corner of the room. When he saw that Jade was drunk he was relieved. He hoped she didn't realise he was there. He waited and watched as Alice asked for Jade to be taken to her bedroom. Then Alice seemed embarrased. He shrugged.

Once Jade was in her room Luke looked at Alice. Once the two other girls left and the door was closed he spoke. "So, uh, should I go in case she comes out? What should I do? I know what she thinks of me. Will me being here be a problem if she realises it? Or will she just not remember in the morning? I'll do whatever you think is best."

The two girls walked out of Jade's room and slammed the door behind them. Not a word was spoken as they begrudgingly walked through the living room and out the door. Alice paused for a few seconds, hoping Jade wouldn't come stumbling back out of her room, but luckily, the drunken girl did not. The coast was clear, at least for now.

With another sigh, she sat down again. She forced a smile at her new friend, she really disliked it when Jade got drunk.. it seemed to be the only way she could have fun. Results of parent's that didn't limit their child while growing up. But not just that, she knew how her friend admired the DJ, and to see her with him while drunk, it may not have ended well.

"Let's just give it a try", she spoke softly as she started to set up her ships for battle. "Sorry about that. Typical night out" she said softly with a nervous laugh, "I.. I mean for her, not me.." After spending years with a father who was a drunk, the whole thing lost it's appeal, and Alice never had tried it, nor would she ever.

Luke simply nodded in response to Alice and got settled across from her. He quickly decided where to put his ships and then got them set on the board. Then he looekd at her carefully and acted as if he was trying to stare her down or read her mind and figure out where she had placed her ships.

After a few moments he grinned and chuckled. "So, are you ready to lose? This may be your favorite game, but it does not mean you will be able to defeat me. I am very good at guessing. So, take your first shot if you still think you can win." He smiled at her and leaned back, waiting.

The same glare met Luke's as the two attempted to reach each others minds. A sly smirk formed on her lips as she placed down her last ship. She yawned nonchalantly and crossed her arms. With a confident laugh, she spoke, "Hah! Yeah right! No one can read my... battle...face. Yeah, my battle face!" It was her favorite game, and she was not prepared to lose. He had one the last game, it was her turn to win.

She took a sip of her water and stretched as if she was about to get into some physical fight. "Alright, let's do this!" she spoke confidently. "I choose... oh sorry, I forgot. Ladies first" she said with a smirk and held out her hand, signaling him to go first.

For a brief second, she glanced back behind her shoulder to the hallway. Hopefully Jade would not come stumbling out of her room. She did not need anyone, especially Jade, disturbing her fun.

((Oh I wanted to ask if there was anything plot-wise that you wanted to happen.))

Luke found it amusing that Alice tried to stare him down and get into his head. She also put on a confident act and claimed that he could not beat her. Yet she did seem quite determined. He waited for her to make her choice. When she made her comment he put on a hurt face. "Are you really calling me a lady? I don't think I like being called a lady. Maybe you're calling me a lady because you're afraid of me beating you and are trying to do anything you can to throw me off. It isn't going to work. Now just pick a spot."

((Nothing specific that I have in mind at the moment.))

Alice giggled and covered her lips politely at his remark. She crossed her arms and cocked a brow as she stared at him, "Well excuse me Mr.Sappy-love-song-radio-DJ-man.." she said followed by another giggle, "Anyways... get ready to be sunk..." she mumbled as she glared at the board, looking for the most optimum spots to strike. There were so many choices, and the man was not ready to lose.

"I choose..." she began to say but lingered, "G-3!" she called out, pointing at him, expecting the coordinates she had chosen to hit something.

From Jade's bedroom, a thud could be heard. Alice's eyes alarmingly shot towards the bedroom door. It was a sound she often heard, "She... she just probably rolled out of bed... I didn't hear a ding... mean's she didn't hit her head", she explained with a nervous laugh, "So... which ship did I hit?" she asked with a sly smirk.

Luke rolled his eyes as Alice giggled and made fun of him and his profession. He waited and then she picked. She looked very confident with her choice. He looked down at his board and kept a straight face. Before he could respond he heard the thump. He waited to see what Alice would say about it. She seemed a bit nervous, but not about Jade's safety. He shrugged. Alice acted as if it happened often and Jade seemed like she could take falling out of bed without getting hurt. Luke didn't worry too much.

When Alice asked what ship she hit he chuckled. "Oh, so sure are you? You really think you hit something? Well I'm very happy to inform you that your shot missed. You will have to do better than that next time. Now why don't you tell me what you have hiding at B8." He smiled at her and waited to see what her response was.

"Darn.." she mumbled, hearing that the coordinates she had carefully chosen weren't the spot of one of his ships. But that was okay, she had plenty of time and many coordinates to choose from. Still, she maintained her composure, the smile on her lips did not fade as the man before her made his call. There was nothing like innocent, casual fun between two people without intoxicating substances between the two; It had been so long since she had been able to have such fun with someone. All of her friends were mostly into shopping, drinking, and clubbing, other than that, they nearly hadn't a thing to do with the girl. Hopefully Luke would turn out to be a great friend... she hoped so. Their friendship had started out rocky, but he was still growing to be the like-able person she felt he'd be.

A light gasp escaped her lips as she gave him a sarcastic smile. Nonchalantly, her hid slid towards the pegs and placed one onto one of her ships. "You hit my cruiser..." she said softly, glaring menacingly at him. It only took one hit and usually the ship would soon be down. "Hah.. beginner's luck!" the called out confidently.

Luke was not surprised by Alice's reaction to missing. The game was just beginning. The chance of hitting something right away was very low. He knew he would most likely not hit anything. So when Alice reacted he was surprised. She put the peg in and then told him the ship he had hit. He grinned and nodded as if he had known. She claimed it was beginner's luck. He had to laugh. "I am no beginner to this game. I've played so much you should be calling me admiral." He laughed a little more and then continued with the game. They started picking numbers and marking down hits. Eventually it got down to the point where they both had one of their ships that could take three hits and whoever could find the other person's ship first would probably win.

Beginner or not, surely he had burned out all of his luck with just one coordinate guess. Boy was she wrong, as the time ticked on by and the guesses were exchanged, they somehow managed to end evenly.. both with just one ship left. Who would be the first to hit? The first to sink? Soon they would find out.

She nonchalantly took a last sip of her water and forcefully slammed the glass on the table, but not enough to break or crack it. "Alright..." she mumbled as she slouched down low, hiding her face behind the screen that separated the two. Her eyes shifted down to her board, all of her ships sunk except for one, a tiny destroyer. Only two coordinate guesses could sink her ship and declare Luke the winner.

"G..8...?" she asked with a cringe, this was the beginning of the end of their war... the game of battleship.

Luke waited and watched how intense Alice got now that it was close. He sighed and relaxed. hen it got this close it as pretty much a tie. If it had been a real battle both of their navies would be completely crippled. Alice picked a spot and he smiled. It is a hit, but now you have to pick the direction I have it facing and what way it goes. Do you think you can pick right? If you do, you win, if not, I still have a chance." He put a peg in his ship and started to think of where he should guess. The game was almost guaranteed a win for her, but he could still get lucky.

With balled fists, the petite girl squealed with glee. A hit! And he missed! What were the chances. Victory would be hers... She placed her chin in the palm of her hand and glanced at him flirtatiously, "I'm sorry sir, you missed.." she spoke followed by a giggle. Her eyes met his as she debated on where choose next. Her index finger tapped lightly on her chin, in sync with the ticking of the kitchen clock that echoed through the silent apartment.

Finally, she sat up straight, with a look of confidence. She took in a deep breath before announcing, "G-9!" In fear that she chose the wrong spot, she cringed, awaiting him to tell her that she had missed. Her heart pounded with excitement. She felt a bit silly, getting excited over a board game. But it was nice to know that there was somewhere out there in the world who would rather come play Battle Ship with her than go drink.

Luke frowned when he missed. He looked at Alice and saw that she was really excited. She looked quite confident and made her guess. He looked at the board and saw that she had missed. He held a straight face as he considered his options. He knew it would make her very happy to win. He could just tell her she sunk his ship or he could tell her she had missed and take his shot and possibly win.

He decided that she would inevitably win and smiled at her. "You win. You got it. That is my last ship. Nice job. You beat me this time. So, what next?" As he congratulated her he reached down and removed the ship that she had actually missed so she couldn't look and see that he had lied. Even if she had been practically guaranteed the win he didn't want her knowing he had sped it up.

Alice naively grinned and clasped her hands before her in a fit of joy. "Told you I'd win!" she said as glared slyly his way. It was a truly sweet thing he had done. If she had known, she would have been flattered, but out of stubbornness, would have insisted he go fair on her. She was surprised when he asked her what was next, she had half expected him to want to leave by that time. Was he truly having fun with her? She was glad to see him finally having a good time. Other than at the bar she had ran into him at, he always looked so down.

Her gaze turned to the clock to check the time, two hours had passed since he got there. It really had seemed to fly by. She slowly sat back, resting on her hands. She looked him in the eyes and smiled warmly, "Why don't you decide? We can do whatever you want." she suggested, she was curious as to what the man would have in mind.

Alice seemed surprised when Luke asked what was next. When she told him to decide he thought for a minute. After a while he couldn't come up with anything. "Well there isn't really any other just two player game. We could modify one of these games, but I don't know any that I think you would enjoy off the top of my head. So I don't know. Maybe there is a movie on tv or something. It is still not too late, so I think I've got the time for that. If you want to do something else though, I'd understand."

"Well let's see what we have here.." Alice said as she smiled warmly at him, she was flattered that he wasn't ready to leave; It meant he wasn't bored with her yet. She stood up and grabbed the box and then took it to the closet to put it away. On her way back to the couch, she grabbed a handful of DVDs off of the shelf below the TV and brought them over to him. The DVDs were sat down before him on the table so he could look through them all while Alice sat next to him on the couch. "We got all kinds of movies, I personally---" Alice began to speak before she was interrupted by the sound of a door knob.

Much to her dismay, Jade came stumbling outside of her bedroom. The clearly plastered young woman leaned against the wall as she staggered her way into the livingroom. "You here?" she asked Luke, "Hm... thought I deleted that message.." she mumbled, clearly forgetting that neither of them were supposed to know of what she had done.

"G-go to bed Jade.."Alice mumbled, trying to maintain her cool. But the dark haired girl before her only chuckled, "No... no. I'm good. Now... let's party huh?" the called out in a slurred voice.

"No.. go Jade. I have company, and you're clearly drunk.." Alice explained as she stood up and pushed onto her friends shoulders, trying to guide her back to her room. But quickly, her hands were swiped away. "Don't.. you don't touch me okay? You stole 'im. You wouldn't have even met him if it weren't for me." the drunken girl grumbled.

Luke was glad that Alice seemed happy. She got some movies and he took a look at the options. She was about to tell him her personal choice, but there was a noise. He looked up and saw the door open. Jade emerged and didn't seem happy that he was there. It was hard to tell for sure though since she was so drunk.

At Jade's comment about deleting a message he frowned. Alice tried to convince Jade to go to bed, but she didn't seem to want to go. She looked like she could pass out at any moment. Alice tried to make her go, but Jade refused. Luke got up and went over to them.Jade tried to claim that he had been stolen away. At first he wanted to tell her that she never had a chance, but then he decided on something else. He looked at Alice and gave her a look that told her just to trust him.

Luke stepped up to Jade and put a hand on her shoulder. "If you really think she stole me from you, then I guess I should be returned. Come on, let's go." He took her by the hand and led her into the bedroom. Once he got her over to the bed he stripped her down to her underwear. He got her laid down in bed and leaned over her to kiss her on the forehead. A few moments later she was asleep. He pulled the covers over her and left the room.

Once out of the room he smiled at Alice. "There we go. That was easy. Next time I meet her I can just tell her that she fell asleep and I can't have a girlfriend who can't even stay awake to be with me. Hopefully she will feel like she had a shot and then we can go about hanging out without worrying about her being jealous. So, what movie do you want to watch?"

"Uh um..." Alice tried to speak as Luke lead Jade into her bedroom, but she was a bit confused and speechless. He had given her a smirk that told her he was up to something, but she wasn't sure what. The girl stood alone in the living room for a few minutes, wide eyed and confused. "Okay.." she mumbled as she sat down on the couch, waiting for someone to emerge from the bedroom, or to even hear a sound. There was nothing.

She folded one leg over the other and swayed it as she patiently and curiously waiting. She felt so many things... mostly embarrassment. Things were going so well, and Jade had to com and interrupt them.

The petite girl sat up straight as soon as Luke came quietly stepping out of the bedroom. She smiled warmly with pink cheeks at his comment. "I'm so sorry about that..." she whispered,"and thank you so much for help me." Alice was truly grateful, it may have gone much worse if he hadn't stepped in.

Once again, she returned to her movies. "My personal favorites are the Kill Bill movies.." she mentioned, "But you're my guest. You choose!"

Luke simply nodded at Alice's thanks. It had really been something to help both of them. He went over and looked at the movie choices. Alice said that her favorites were the Kill Bill films. He spotted them and picked out the first one and handed it to her. "This is fine with me. It should be good." He let her get it set up and moved to the couch. He got settled in and relaxed. He was looking forward to not competing with Alice and just having a good time watching a movie.

As the previews began to play, Alice quickly got up. After rummaging through the cupboards, she pulled out a bag of popcorn, the perfect movie snack. She didn't know if Luke liked or wanted popcorn, but it couldn't hurt. After a few minutes, she returned to the living room with a big bowl of popcorn. "I hope you don't mind popcorn.." she spoke softly as she flashed him a smile. Alice was just in time, she sat down right as the movie started. The popcorn was placed on her thigh that was closer to him for easy access.

Movies were the perfect way to end the night. Hopefully the silence would keep Jade asleep and in her room. A content sigh escaped her lips as she rested against the back cushions of the couch.

Luke watched as Alice got up to get some popcorn. When she returned the movie was starting so he smiled, nodded, and turned to focus on the screen. He relaxed and started to get into the story. Every so often he reached over and took a handful of popcorn and munched on it. It was nice to watch a movie with Alice. As long as Jade didn't create problems he was sure they could really become good friends. He really wanted that too.

Alice reached over and grabbed a hand full of popcorn. Slowly she ate them, bit by bit as the movie began. When the song My Baby Shot Me Down, she quietly sang along, almost inattentive and unaware of the fact that Luke was right there, able to hear her. But she couldn't help it, she loved the song. As the time passed and the movie rolled on, she found herself feeling a bit sleepy.

With a soft long yawn, she stretched trying to wake herself up. She sat up straight with wide eyes and pink cheeks. "Can't fall asleep now... you have company.." she thought to herself as she looked over to Luke and smiled. But much to her dismay, by the end of the film, the petite girl was lounged on the couch and peacefully asleep.

Luke watched the movie and once heard Alice singing along to a song. She had a nice voice. When the movie came to an end he turned and smiled at Alice. He saw her asleep and chuckled. She seemed out of it and he decided not to wake her. He got up and bent down to pick her up. He made sure not to wake her and carried her to what he guessed was her bedroom. It was the only other bedroom in the place since he already knew where Jade's was.

He was able to get her inside and he set her down on the bed. He loosely covered her with one of her sheets and then stepped back. She looked cute laying there asleep. He left the room and went to gather his things. He turned off the tv and put away the movies. Then he found a spot to put the box of games. Once everything was put away he found some paper and a pen and wrote a note for Alice.

Alice, I had a nice time tonight. It was fun hanging out with you. You fell asleep before the end of the movie so I cleaned up for you. I'll talk to you soon. We can set up another time to hang out.

The next day as the sun was peaking through Alice's curtains, the petite girl quickly shot up as she noticed the rays. She looked around and noticed she was in her bed. When did she get there? How? With a sigh, she smacked her forehead and shook her head. "Must have fallen asleep.." she mumbled as she got up. Alice returned to the livingroom to clean up, thankfully Jade was still passed out from the night before.

On the table, that had clearly been cleaned up, was a note. A warm smirk formed on her lips as she read it. Luke was such a gentlemen, he even took the time to take her to her room. He could have easily left her there or woke her up. She bit her lip trying to hold back the smile before going to shower, dress, and prepare for her day. Hopefully they'd meet up again soon; She definitely owed him.

Back
Top Bottom