Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Songs of the Heart (Ms_Muffintops and Josu_T

Luke waited until a short while before he left. He called Alice's place again. Jade picked up. She didn't sound happy to hear it was him. She told him that Alice was in the shower and that she didn't want to join him that evening. Luke sighed and hung up. That was fine. If she didn't want to join him with a bunch of unknown people, that was understandable.

He got ready to go and then drove to his friend's house. He spent the evening there having a good time playing various card games and other games. By late in the night everyone was going home. He joined them and drove back to his house. He was happy. It had been a good evening. Nice to reconnect with some old friends.

"Did anyone call for me while I was in the shower? I thought I heard the phone ring while I was in there.." Alice said as she stood in the livingroom with a towel wrapped around herself and her hair. "I said no okay? Sheesh.." Jade said as she crossed her arms. Of course she did not want Alice knowing that Luke had called for her.

Alice sighed and returned to her room. She finally admitted to herself that she was kind of hoping Luke wanted to hang out again. She got dressed into her pajamas, a plain t shirt and short shorts and sat at her desk. She examined the drawing of her new friend before setting it aside and turning on her radio before doing some research and checking her email. She listened for Luke, but it appeared he wasn't working that night. She started to wonder if she should call him, just give a casual hello, but it was getting a little late, he might be in bed or not appreciate receiving a call late at night.

She wasn't aware of the fun she had missed out on and that Jade had intentionally not told her of the phone call she received.

Luke entered his house and checked for messages. There was nothing. He shrugged and went to his bedroom. He got changed and ready for a good sleep after a good evening. His life was really starting to turn around for the better. He had Alice to that in part for that. While his friends were ones he had known while his wife was alive, he didn't dwell on it. He barely thought about that time. His friends didn't mention it either, knowing he was still hurting deep inside. As he got into bed he had a smile on his face, something rare for him.

The next day for Alice was average as usual. She had a class in the morning and then she went to her part time job at a daycare center, where she took care of infants until 5PM.

She gave a relieved sigh when she walked into the apartment and found it dark, that meant Jade was out. She moved to the kitchen and browsed the fridge. In the corner of her eye, she saw the phone, and then started to wonder if she had missed any calls, possibly one from Luke?

The machine had no messages, so she checked the caller ID. There was a call from one of Jade's other friends, and then there was another number she didn't quite recognize that had called the night before. She dialed the number and let it ring, soon, the answering machine with Luke's voice spoke. Her eyes widened slightly with confusion. After the tone beeped for her to speak she cleared her voice. "Uh um... I was just calling to see who's number this was. I had no idea you had called. I'm sorry... I was.. even wondering when I'd hear from you again" she said slowly trying to come up with an idea, but then one came to her. "My friend is out tonight, so I have the house to myself. If you'd like to come over, perhaps watch a movie? Eat dinner? Feel free.." she added. She then gave him her address and decided to play the waiting game.

Luke had a fairly casual day. In the morning he went shopping for groceries. He got all he needed to last him the week. He brought it home and then spent the afternoon doing some music research. He went to work and got through his show just fine.

When he got home he checked his messages and got the one from Alice. It was very confusing. He smiled at her offer and quickly called back. He waited as the phone rang. He wondered what she was talking about. According to Jade she had recieved the message and had not wanted to hang out, but from the message it sounded like Alice had never even known he had called. Very strange.

Alice was busy cleaning the kitchen, ready to cook dinner when she heard the phone ring. She nearly jumped when she heard it, the house was silent, enhancing the volume of the phone, and she was half hoping Luke would call back. She couldn't help but smirk when she saw his number on the caller ID.

"Hey Luke!" she said as she pulled the phone to her ear, "I was just cleaning the kitchen. If you want to come over, just head on over" she said softly as she held onto the phone with her shoulder and continued cleaning and making preparations. She hoped he wanted to hang it. It was apparent that Jade had purposely kept the call to herself. She knew her friend well.

Luke smiled as he heard Alice answer. She seemed excited to hear from him. She again held onto her offer for him to go over there. He chuckled. "Hey Alice. I'll think about it. I was mostly calling to clear something up. Didn't you get my message yesterday? I heard nothing from you and when I called back, Jade told me that you were turning down my offer to hang out. From your message today though, it sounded as if you didn't get the message. What's up with that?"

Alice rested against the counter and grabbed the phone and held it up to her ear. A slight frown formed on her face as he spoke. When he was finished she sighed and rolled her eyes, "I think Jade was just trying to keep it from me. I had no idea that you called.." she said softly before biting her lip. "It's not like I'd say something like 'urge my day is going by so horrible... if Luke calls me to see if I want to go out tell him I don't want to!'" she said with a nervous laugh.

"But it's okay if you don't want to come or can't. I thought I'd leave the offer hanging.." she concluded.

Drew wasn't really surprised that Jade had tried to keep Alice from knwoing he had called. She seemed to have quite a big crush on him and the fact that he was paying attention to her friend, not her, must not be sitting well with her. Alice remade her offer for him to go over to his place. He smiled. She had convinced him. "Ok, I'll come over in about an hour. I'm going to eat dinner now. See you soon." He hung up and laughed to himself. Alice was definitely an interesting and slightly strange girl to him. He made himself dinner, ate, and gathered his things. He drove over to Alice's, wondering what she had planned.

"B-but I was.." she started to say before he hung up. She was going to offer to cook dinner for him, but he hung up. She then proceeded to cook dinner for herself, rice and curry. She left some over in case he got hungry or wanted some but she didn't wait up for him. She cleaned up a little, and lit up the house so it was no longer dark.

On the coffee table was a box full of DVDs and a box full of various games and board games, hopefully Luke didn't mind the casual night she had in mind.

Alice sat on the couch waiting for him to head on over, she hoped Jade wouldn't show up, or at least right away. That would surely pose a problem.

Luke parked outside Alice's place and got out of his car. He had not brought anything with him. He had no idea what Alice had in mind. He was looking forward to finding out though. He went up to her door. He checked the adress to make sure he had the right place. He took a deep breath before raising his hand and knocking on the door. He waited for Alice to come and let him in.

Alice hopped up from the couch when she heard a knock on the door. It soon flew open and the petite girl greeted him politely. "Hey there! Glad you came" she said before letting him him and shutting the door.

She walked further into the livingroom of the rather small apartment. "I just ate, so I didn't have much time to plan. But... I do have games and movies" she said with a nervous laugh. She sat down onto the couch and looked at her two boxes with movies and games.

"Oh and... Jade should be out for the night, so we shouldn't have to worry about her.." she said softly, being reminded of what she had done.

Luke smiled at Alice as she answered the door. He entered her apartment and looked around. It was decorated very nicely. It seemed like a nice place to live. It might not be big, but it was cosy. He listened as she said that jade was out. That was good. He laughed as he thought of something. "So out chasing after a different dj tonight, is she? Not busy hiding phone calls and messages for her room mate? That's a surprise." He chuckled as he sat on the couch. "Well, I think a game could be nice."

Alice looked up at him and smiled warmly, "Well what kind of games do you like?" she asked him as she picked up the box and sat it down between them. She leaned over it and looked down into it. There were various games, board and card games. "We've got a lot of classics, and a pack of cards which has endless possibilities.." she said softly.

"I'll let you pick since you're my guest" she said with a giggle, "And I'm easily amused"

(I might be a little slow at replying, gotten a lot of work to do lately x.x)

Luke looked at the games and thought about what he wanted to play. She had a nice collection, that was for sure. He checked some of them and finally came to a decision. "I think some sort of card game might be best. Most board games are most fun with more than just two people. What about Cribbage, or whatever else you can think of that would be a good two person card game."

Alice pulled out the box of cards and put the box of games onto the floor next to the couch. "That's okay, a card game is perfect" she said as she returned to him. She sat down on the floor in front of the coffee table, across from Luke. She slide the box of cards across the table towards him. "I've never played Cribbage, so you can teach me" she said with a smirk.

It was yet another new experience with her friend. She hoped it would go well, she was afraid they wouldn't be able to find anything to do. But having him teach her to play would keep them busy, and provide some fun for the two of them.

Luke was a little surprised to find out that Alice didn't know how to play cribbage. He rummaged through the game box until he found the cribbage board that everyone seemed to at least possess even if they didn't know how to play. He smiled and placed it on the table as he sat across from her. He then proceeded to explain the somewhat complex game. It was hard to explain but easy to play once you got the hang of it and knew what to do.

Alice cocked her head to the side and blushed slightly when he pulled the board out. She watched him contently as he explained the game to her. She hadn't ever played it before, she was out of the loop with many board and card games, she didn't play them often, so she easily forgot how the games went. She thought it'd be much simpler, but she was determined to play it with him.

"You'll have to excuse me for any confusion.." she said quietly with a nervous laugh, "I'm not great with card games. The only game I have memorized is black jack.. but I'm determined! If anything.. its an easy win for you" she concluded with a giggle, then bit her lip and looked down at the board.

Luke nodded and smiled. He kenw it was a little complicated, but he'd help her figure it out. "Don't worry about it. We will do a few practice hands so you can ge tthe hang of it. As for it being an easy win, it might not be. There is a lot of luck involved in this game." He dealt out cards face up and started to explain the progression of a hand and showing her what she should look for and what she should do with the hand. He hoped he was making it clear enough.

Alice got up and went to the radio and turned it on, but turned it to a different station than the one Luke DJ'd on. It was a rock station that was playing classic top charting songs all evening. She laughed nervously and blushed as she turned to the table and sat back down. As Luke continued to explain and instructed her on what to do, she just continued to do as he told her, still feeling a bit lost, but she was going with the flow. In truth she was incredibly confused, she was never good at card games, especially the first time. She hoped she didn't look stupid to him, she always felt left out, everyone seemed to know how to play all of these card games, and she could barely memorize any.

Her eyes glanced up at his for a second to see if he was looking at her. But they soon shot back down, afraid he'd catch her glancing at him. She bit her lip in a small attempt to hide her nervous face.

(I don't know how to explain the game lol, because I've never played it for real ^^;;

Luke was happy when Alice didn't turn on his station. He enjoyed the rock and the limited ammount of love songs. He didn't understand why she blushed though. He started the game and they began playing. For the first few hands he got a lot of points in the pegging stage. He continuously assisted her in what to do. Then they got to the counting stage and he had to help her see what points she had. When the cribs were read he helped suggest what she could have done differently to get more points. Yet he still got a good lead on her. Then he hit a bad run of hands. He ended up with a couple of zero point hands and a few low point hands while she got good ones. By the end it was actually a fairly close game, but his initial lead was enough to get him to the finish first.

Alice played throughout the entire game, still completely confused on how the game worked, but hopefully Luke would continue to teach her and help her practice in other plays in the future. She hoped her clueless-ness was enough entertainment for him.

She sat back on the floor and stared at the cards and the board on the table and grinned slightly, "Darn.. lost... ah well" she said with a smile and a smirk. She sighed contently and looked up at Luke, "Thanks for trying to teach me though, sorry, I'm not that great at card games.." she said softly with a slight look of embarrassment. Alice then stood up and walked over to her kitchen which was not far from the couch at all, just a few steps, it was a rather small kitchen. "Would you like a snack or a drink perhaps?" she asked him as she eyed him from behind the counter. "We got water... duh, milk, juice, diet coke and um... beer.." she commented as she opened the fridge.

Luke had enjoyed the game. While Alice didn't know how to play, he had a good time teaching her how. He smiled over at her, glad that she seemed to have enjoyed it. She needed to have more confidence in herself though, she had played fairly well. By the end she had been getting much better. She just didn't realise it.

He watched her go to the kitchen as he relaxed. She asked if he wanted anything and he shook his head. "No, I'm fine. Maybe some water. Yeah, water is fine." He smiled at her. "So, what do you feel like doing now? Something you're good at and know how to play."

Alice reached into the cupboards and pulled out two glasses. She filled them with water and turned to face Luke, a warm smile still on her face. "Well let's see what we have here.." she said softly as she set a glass down in front of him on the coffee table. Her eyes shifted over to the clock briefly to check the time... hopefully it would be a late night for Jade. Once again, her eyes met him accompanied with a reassuring smile as she set herself down on the floor across from him at the table.

She placed the box in her lap and began to rummage through it once again. "Well... aside from cards. We have..." she began to say, but then paused. "... A bunch of children's games..." she thought to herself. A nervous smile formed on the young women's lips as she gazed up at Luke once again. A nervous laugh escaped her lips before she began to list the rather potentially embarrassing collection of games. "We have Monopoly, Battle Ship, Clue, Twister..." she listed with pink cheeks, she could not imagine Luke wanting to play any of them, "Uh... Uno... Candyland..." Her head dropped in embarrassment, she was probably sounding like a child by now. "Ah... yup... that's it..." she spoke in a squeaked voice muffled as it hung over the box.

Luke took a look at the box of games while he waited for Alice to return with water. He couldn't see anything under the first couple of boxes so he just waited. When she got back he smiled softly at her and took one glass from her. When their eyes met again he returned her smile and waited for her to get settled.

He let her take a look through the box and waited for the report of what she had. She seemed embarrased by the games that she owned. He chuckled and smiled at her. A lot of them were not that childish. As she finished saying what she had he thought about it for a moment. Then he shrugged. "Don't worry. Those are not too childish. I think everyone owns many of those games. I have at least some of them somewhere in my house. There are also ways to make those games more fun for adults. Anyway, monopoly is tough with only two, same with clue. For twister we would need to be able to spin the wheel. We could play battleship. Or some sort of card game. We can always look online for suggestions on new and interesting ways to play battleship or card games. What do you think?" He had given the suggestions he could come up with and didn't really have any other ideas so it was up to her to make the final decision.

Back
Top Bottom