Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Home on the range...again (Candira and Master Raven)

Candira

Singularity
Once upon a time, there were two neighboring ranches. Though the land was vast and the ranchers were busy, the owners of the ranches became friends. As they took wives and their families grew, so did their bonds. Before long the owner of the Heartland Ranch had a daughter, and the owner of the Homeland Ranch had a son. The two were raised together and learned how to take care of cattle and horses, how to care for the land and run businesses.

But they learned more than just how to run a ranch. They also learned how to love. Kate fell in love with her neighbor. Her first love was a wonderful boy--fun, handsome, understanding, and even a little dangerous. At least, that was how she would come to remember him. Hard times hit Homeland, and they were forced to sell their land. Knowing how much it meant that his neighbor made a fair trade, Kate's father bought the ranch and absorbed it, and then Kate's first love was taken away from her.

The loss had been devastating to the young girl. He hadn't just moved away from the ranch--he'd moved out of the state all together. And he didn't call or write her. She had been inconsolable for a good month when her friends convinced her to move on. And over the years, she slowly came to forget the boy. Her first love was just that--her first. She remembered big things, and the stories. Of course, since then, she'd had some great boyfriends, and some real losers. But nobody seemed to have the right combination of traits to keep her.

Her ranch, however, was not like the roller coaster ride of her love life. She was running it beautifully, managing it wisely with the help of her aunt Molly, and slowly expanding their business to include all sorts of operations--horse breeding, windmill power, and more. Successful in her life, she was content. Kate's help, however, was a bit lacking in numbers to keep up with all of the business, so she found herself hiring more hands to maintain lands, take care of the cattle, run the breeding program, and more. She had just hired ten more hands--some experienced, some new and recently educated.

One name had stood out. It was familiar somehow, but she wasn't quite sure. He would be arriving today, so she was going to go meet him at the train station with her aunt. He was moving from the city and he'd interviewed over Skype, but she'd liked his attitude, his experience, and his personality. He seemed like the perfect fit for the job.

So it was that Kate and Molly were waiting at the station for a man. Kate had come from the range, tight dusty jeans tucked into well-worn boots telling the tale of work. She'd washed her face and freshened up a little before coming into town, a fresh green tee shirt under a brown leather vest gracing her top half. She'd made sure she smelled nice and her hair was pulled back into a neat, fiery ponytail. Her curvy figure was still obvious beneath her work clothes, and more than one man asked for directions or lingered on his phone call nearby.

Aunt Molly had been a beauty queen in her day, and still had a little something. She oozed charm and radiated warmth, but she was not one to tolerate overly long glances at her niece. Especially so soon after the girl was on the market. Her own hair was in a short black pixie cut. As the ranch cook, she usually wore whatever she wanted. Normally that was a pair of jeans and cute top or a sundress and sweater. The woman looked in her late thirties, but she was well into her fifties. And she was determined to make sure that her beautiful young niece got her hands on a man that would appreciate the kind of beauty in their gene pool, but still acknowledge her other gifts.

She'd sat in on the interview for this new hand and was excited to see him. Maybe this one would have potential. It always helped when two people shared interests. "He should be here soon," Molly said with a smile.

Kate stretched a little and checked her watch. "Seems like it. I wonder what he looks like. Maybe we should have made a sign or something. It feels like kind of an oversight on our part..."

"Oh, you mean like this one?" Molly said, unfolding a large piece of paper with the recruit's name on it.

"You always think of everything. Just once, I want to be the one picking up your slack."

"Well, it'll be a long time before that happens, sweetheart. You've got some catching up to do."

Logan James Maxwell was as relaxed as any man could be on his way to his new job. Okay that wasn't right he was as relaxed as he could be on the train, he was completely ignoring the fact that he was on his way to a job. He was slightly nervous but other than that he was at peace and overly excited about his new position. The last five years of his life hadn't gotten him anywhere in a 'career' as an office employee. Moving up the corporate ladder was a lie and city life; yeah that bullshit was a lie too. How he resented his dad for choosing this life for him. Logan couldn't really complain too much though his dad did ensure he had an education and he even got to minor in something he wanted to. So here he was on the train heading to his new life, one that had fascinated him for the past ten years.

The interview had taken place over skype, he couldn't quite gauge her reaction about him, but then again his webcam had broken the day before. He had apologized for the inconvenience of him being able to see her and not the other way around. She was very professional about the interview even though the elder lady was a bit more abrupt with her questions. The first thing Logan had noticed about his new boss was her hair it demanded his attention for the first five seconds, the hue had always attracted him and he enjoyed the fact she had it. His hair on the other had was a stale brown, an average color that he never really liked. During the interview he was clean shaven but given the nature of the job he decided that he would let it grow a little bit. Stubble graced his jawline now but it was still clean and well maintained, the main reason for his choice is he had to be clean shaved for the past five years and frankly he was tired of the hassle.

Another thing that he enjoyed was his blue jeans, he had always been more comfortable in jeans than a suit, and it even caused him mild discomfort during his interview. He hoped she hadn't noticed that aspect from him. His thoughts were interrupted by the conductor announcing his stop. He gathered his bags from about them as the train slowed into the station, finally he was on his way to his new life. Logan stood as the train stopped and hefted his bags over his shoulders and over his dark crimson button up short sleeve. His hair was brushed back and slightly gelled to keep the medium length hair out of his eyes.

"Just two more steps." He said to himself and then he stepped off the Amtrak. He shuddered lightly at the sensation for the cooler air, everything hit him. The smell, the clean air, and best of all the space! He turned his head to the left and seen nothing, then his right and there it was her fiery red hair; again the first thing he noticed. "Mrs. Kate?" He asked as he approached the two ladies. He had been unaware of her title or how to address her so he tried to gauge it. He hadn't even caught the older ladies name, mainly because she had distracted him with her off the cuff questions that didn't pertain to the interview.

As the train pulled into the station, Kate stood. Molly stood as well, holding the sign. The older woman smiled as the handsome young man neared them. Oh this was much better than she could have hoped. He would muscle up again quickly enough with the hard work and her food. If he did grow a beard, Molly could see that he would still have a handsome face. As it was, the stubble was sexy. The lad even had manners. Before her lovely niece could say a word in greeting she interjected with, "That's Miss Kate, Mr. Maxwell." She offered her hand for a shake while Kate shook her head.

"Just Kate is fine. Nice to finally put a face to the name, Logan. You remember my aunt. Logan Maxwell, Molly Swanson."

"But I do prefer my maiden name: Sanders. You can just call me Miss Molly."

Kate smiled and then offered her hand to her handsome new hire. "Welcome. So, can we help you with any luggage? Or is this it?" She asked, hoping to come across as warm and helpful. After all, she was both of those things and wanted this guy to hang around. Besides, he was very cute.

"Well if I'm going to just call you Kate then just call me Logan. Same for you Miss Molly." Now Logan wasn't trying to insult anyone by the way he was talking, that's just the way things flowed from his mouth naturally. Even with his mother's guidance and teaching Logan still found it hard not to comment on something as stupid as Molly's last name. Granted it wouldn't have been insulting but it wasn't right for him to crack a joke about her being "related to the Colonel", or "getting free fried chicken". No he knew better so his mouth stayed shut about it, but it was still difficult due to his city life. All his coworkers before thought it was weird that he could have the mildest hint of country flair without ever being in the country before. As far as Logan knew he was raised in the city and his attraction to the country and other things attached to it seemed to be way off base. Then again who was anyone else to question his passion for things?

He extended his hand towards both of them and shook their hands. His new boss was definitely and upgrade from his last one; the asshole. It was harder than shit always being the gopher in the office environment mainly when he was the one that had the hardest time getting the projects and assignments done, they were just too complex and not to mention hard for him to understand. He shook the thought from his head and pulled himself back to the now. "No Ma'am this is everything, besides my mom always told me never to burden a lady with anything, and seeing as I haven't met a true lady other then my mother until now I don't plan on doing it." Logan's Mother valued morals and him being a gentleman over anything else, but that didn't mean that she didn't have her own temper, a temper that her son equally shared. He had gotten into plenty of fights at school over someone harassing a female, albeit not your traditional lady, but still he tried to intervene on more than on occasion.

Kate's eyebrows inched up at his comment about not burdening her. "Well, it's hardly a burden, but I suppose your mama's advice got you this far, so why stop listening now?" She smiled and turned toward the parking lot. "This way, if you don't mind." With that she started walking, her hips swaying in time with her long, purposeful strides.

Molly smirked, watching the young man for a moment before nudging him along. "Your mother sounds like a fine woman. Make sure you don't disappoint her," she warned. "Now, we don't often get into town more than twice a week or so unless Kate's got herself a new business idea. Then she runs herself ragged between the ranch and the city. But that's another story..."

"What my aunt is trying to say is that you get two nights off a week. Don't make plans in the city til you know which days those are."

"I'm trying to say that if you need anything in town, you can give me or Kate the list and we'll pick it up if we're heading in before you. Now, once we get to the ranch, Kate will show you around. I have things to do. You have questions, just ask anybody. We'll fix you up."

"I hope you'll like working with us, Logan. I know I'll appreciate the extra help."

"Typical work schedule." Logan mused with a minor shrug. Two days a week was the standard federal law for anyone working more than 40 hours a week without over time setting in. "With all due respect I wouldn't exactly call this a city, more of a big town. The maps I looked at indicated a good number of stores, but a city is a serious over statement, at least to me. I'd also like to avoid the city for the rest of my life if I can help it, chances are that something is eventually going to call me back at some point, but I already like it more here." For him this was no city it was quiet, well quieter and more spacious. No this was definitely not a city, and thank god for that!

"I'll make sure to let you know if I need anything, though at this point I'm fairly sure I have the essentials for now. But while we're on the subject of questions, You said something about housing on the ranch. I was curious as to the accommodations, and the company policy as to what is and isn't allowed. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking to get drugs or nothing like that I just want to get a feel for my new living situation so I don't accidentally step out of line and become a hassle for anyone." Of course Logan had a few questions, he had been so eager to get out of the city the more important questions had temporarily slipped his mind. In fact he was so eager to leave he was packed the night right after the interview took place.

For all he knew he was only getting a shack with a single window, or bunking in a bunk house with the other ranch hands. In all his excitement he did a really poor job asking question during his interview, well excitement and secretly ogling his new boss. She was definitely a wonderful welcomed site, but he knew to remain professional and how to stay on task. Logan's mind was a bit curious as to having a girlfriend or even a pet might play into his new living arrangement. Most of all though he was finally able to get the fuck out of the city.

"Well, this is about as close to the city as I like to get. To be honest, places much bigger than this one start to suffocate me a little." Kate smiled and led him to her vehicle--a ranch van. "You can toss your stuff in the back and we'll head out," she said before moving for the driver's side. Molly, moved for the passenger door and then corrected herself, better to sit in back for the time being. After all, the new guy had to get a feel for the lay of the land.

"We provide housing for our hands. You'll be in one of the smaller bunkhouses--new beds, new sheets, new everything. You'll have five roommates and they'll all get you up when you need to get. There are closet modules and dressers for all--you'll have to figure out which is yours with the boys. There's also a small chest with a lock and key you can use for valuables. You'll have to do your own laundry in town, but that shouldn't be a big to do if you plan it right. Plus, not many fancy duds around here. No need for em unless you're going to a bank, a funeral, or a wedding. You want me to hold onto anything for you, just ask," Molly said, answering his question.

"You're allowed a dog or cat as a pet, but nothing smaller or slithery," Kate said. "Scares the horses. You'll have to work out girlfriends with your bunk mates. But I wouldn't count on bringing them back to your place for a romantic evening, if you catch my drift. Girlfriends are allowed at meals, but it's always nice if Molly has some notice. All I ask is that you keep it in your pants when you're supposed to be working. When you're off the clock, you're free to do whatever you please, long as I don't have to clean up your mess."

Molly chuckled and shook her head. "We're not all that big on rules, but we do have a few of them, and the boys will fill you in. We'll even get you a handbook for that. Meantime, you just focus on what you need to get done. The first week is usually the hardest for new recruits."

Logan was relieved to hear that Kate felt the same way about the larger cities as he did it gave them something similar to connect with. He listened intently as the ladies explained the rules to him, and how things were going to work. The topic of a girlfriend kinda slipped by on a kind of ignored level being it didn't really pertain to him be he caught enough in case a fellow bunkmate had one. "The other half won't be a problem I don't have a girlfriend, and I'm not really planning on going out to hunt one down anytime soon. Then again I don't know much about country ladies, most of the city girls are well to put it as nicely as possible, skanks." He was trying to be polite about his wording but there really was no clean way that he knew of for superficial whores.

He went to sit in the back seat after everything was loaded into the back of the van but Molly seemed rather insistent that he sit up front. probably to gauge the lay of the land as it were. Upon the mention of onto things Logan remembered a question that he really did need to know. "I think i'll have to take you up on that offer to hold onto something of mine. My Folks are holding onto a rifle I bought a few years back, I wasn't sure of the Laws out here. I also have a bow that I've had to keep my marksmenship training up to par. Again I wasn't sure on the laws out here or if I would need to get a new license in order to have them being mine are from out of state. Oh and a set of weighted throwing knives!"

True enough the man in the front passenger seat of the van was a child at heart, he loved his toys. He also had good reason too one thing they had barely gone over in the interview was his previous employment history. Other than the desk job he had for the past five years Logan was a two year vet in the U.S. Military, a few things since his commitment was over had become a little lax, but one thing that didn't was his aim with long range rifles, medium distance bows, and short range knife throwing. Given his change of location into the Montana climate he figured he might need his gear for his recreation time. Not many people liked to talk about their service once they were out of the military so he figured that was the reason Kate or Molly never brought it up, that or they didn't see it on his resume. Although Molly seemed to have the "nothing slips by me" about her. If that were the case then she'd be able to barely make out the little bit of ink sticking out from under his left sleeve.

Single. Well, well, if that didn't make him a nice match for Kate. Molly smirked and shrugged. "Well, it won't take much for a young man like you to get all the ladies. But if you're looking to stay away from certain kinds of women, you'd best stick to the ranch for now. My niece, for instance, knows a lot of nice young girls."

Kate shook her head and glanced back at her aunt in the rear view mirror. "There's no rush, aunt Molly. Let him settle in before you start playing match-maker." Her eyes returned to the road and she smiled. "Anyway, I feel like you'll fit in here quite nicely." At the mention of his weapons, Kate raised an eyebrow. "Sounds like a decent collection of weaponry. We can put the gun in our safe if you like. You can keep your bow with mine. The knives, however, you might want to find a place for on your own."

Molly nodded. "We don't really have a good place for those, but I suppose we could clear out a little room in the gun safe. I've been meaning to go shooting anyway. I'll show you the range if you'd like to go with me."

It wasn't long before they were headed out of town on the country road that would lead them to the ranch. Kate was looking forward to coming back, but more out of exhaustion than anything else.

A shooting range well that was perfect! Logan could actually go out and shoot whenever he wanted, of course he doubted his weapon wouldn't cause a stir. After all when you bring a sniper rifle to a range people tend to stare in a weird way. Well city people did he didn't know about the country being a lot of people went hunting. His bow also drew more attention to him than he wanted, then again not many people could pull a eighty pound draw with just two fingers. He was finally able to relax, the front seat of the van was comfortable, and the fresh clean air from the window being down; he was completely at peace.

His eyes closed for a few moments as the two ladies finished talking. "Well not to give too much of myself away but that's a small amount to what I actually want to have. I don't have a typical hunting rifle. I've got a sniper that can hit a mile away though I normally never aim that far. The bow is a eighty pound draw that I've wanted to try hunting with, and the knives, well I needed something for added protection while I was sniping for those two years overseas. Luckily for me I didn't get into anything too heavy, so you don't have to worry about PTSD from this vet."

There was no intent to brag about any of his toys, but the mention of them did seem to pique his bosses interest, and Miss Molly had said she liked to go shooting. Perhaps he really was going to be more at home here talking weapons, and shop with his new environment. He couldn't talk about horses in the city, not even to the few carriage drivers he encountered. They didn't know shit about the breed or proper grooming of the horse, it really upset him when he tried to help one and they looked at him like he was a moron. Logan looked out of the window to see the vast countryside that lay before him as they were on the way to the ranch. "It finally feels good to be somewhere that can feel like home." He mused not realizing he had verbalized his thoughts.

Kate smiled and rolled her eyes a little at the gun bragging, but she could appreciate the value of a good weapon. The fact that he didn't have PTSD was good, but she wasn't sure why he felt the need to slip that in there. "Well, PTSD or no, we're glad to have you here. I know I'll feel a lot safer now," she teased.

Molly chuckled but held back from response. It was nice to see that they were getting along already. Good sign of early chemistry. Plus, he seemed to love the land as much as Kate, and that was saying something. "Well, we'll have you home soon. I think you'll love it there."

Kate smiled as the gates of the ranch appeared in the distance on the horizon. Possibly her very favorite sight in the whole world. "I hope it's better than you imagined."

The ladies were already nicer than he thought, not overly "power hungry" if that was even the proper term for this instance. No they seemed down to earth, homely, and it was just the type of boss that Logan had been searching for, for years. As he turned his head back from the passenger window to say something a light reflected into his eyes. This caused an instant reaction where his right hand shot up to block out the light. It took him a moment to figure out what it was then ti came to him as they got closer. It was the entrance gate to his new work site, and his new home.

The archway was made of what looked to be polished rod iron which was the cause of the reflection, the gate itself appeared to be white from this distance what it was made of however he couldn't tell from this distance. "Much better than I expected." There was a classic two story home about fifty yards back from the main fence line which he guessed was the office and her homestead. The stables appeared to be on the West while the main house was on the East facing the sun. It was a wide open expanse of land. He noticed something running off on the southern side over by the large building that he guessed were the stables. The animals were strong and quick though he shouldn't have guessed otherwise the horses were powerful animals. To the far southeast he could barely make out a few windmills which he presumed gave the entire ranch power, plus maybe a bit of additional power to the town the twenty so miles away.

"Are you guys sure you aren't angels and I'm dead?" This to him looked too good to be true. Another three or so miles to the east was another house though it didn't look as well maintained as the others on her property. "Whats the story with that one? I've read up on almost everything I could about the ranch and that building isn't even mentioned. Is that where you stay Miss Molly?"

Molly raised her eyebrows as Logan asked about the old house. It would be interesting to see what her niece had to say on the matter. Many memories were attached there, after all, and not all of them were pleasant. She cleared her throat and let Kate answer.

"Actually, that house used to belong to the family who sold us the other half of our ranch. They were good friends with my family, but they weren't doing so well as us and the father got a new job in the city. They moved away, and such is life. The house is mostly storage now, but we let some guests stay there sometimes. It's gotten a little shabby now, though. I let it get a little rough. I just can't bring myself to fix it or change it. So many memories..."

Molly chose this time to interfere. "I'll show you later. I might have you fetch a few things for me some time."

Kate smiled at Logan and nodded. "Well, we're here. Let's get you settled in."

"Wow, that's got to suck. Then again I wouldn't know anything about that, the closest I've ever been to having a friend or the like was in the Army." Logan didn't have any real friends, not even after his tours in his civilian life. He was always working and well he didn't socialize too well with his affinity for things country. He hadn't realized that such a question might have stung so deeply or he might not have said anything, it sounded painful the way she said it. He made a mental note not to broach the subject again.

"Yes, it would seem we are. The pictures online don't do it an ounce of justice." So here he was his new home. Sliding off his seat belt and opening the door he slipped out of the van. The crunch of the gravel under his shoes was pure satisfaction, no longer did he have to worry about cement sidewalks, or asphalt roads unless visiting the town. This was his dream coming true and he wasn't even dead, as far as he could tell. He eased himself towards the back of the van with care trying to take in everything he could gather all the information and locations, the thrill starting to take hold of him.

"Sounds to me like you'll make friends quickly. We've all got a decent amount of discipline with our friendliness and there are a few veterans among our ilk." Molly was very proud of her crew, and she loved them all like family. She had a feeling this new guy with his lack of true friends and abundance of weapons was going to be special to her too. Perhaps, and maybe even hopefully, in a different way.

The ranch was quite expansive. The stables were easily the size of a small plane hangar. Cows and horses both dotted the horizon, but there were some still in the stables. A few friendly dogs even roamed the place. There were a few of cats lounging on the steps of the porch of the main house.

Kate smiled at the compliments and enjoyed the awed and relieved tone. "I'm glad you like it. A happy hand is both an effective one, and a dirty one," she said with a little wink. She smiled and then parked. "Shall we?"

"Oh and I plan on being one of those who revels in the mud as it were." Relieved was a bit of an understatement right now, he was outright impressed with the expanse that he seen. She couldn't have been much older than he was yet she was the ranch head, and progressing into further developments for her land. She was quite the woman, and he was fairly sure it was both her and Miss Molly that had made it such a wonderful, and practical environment. "Let's!" He agreed reaching for his bags. Logan was hardly able to contain himself, a few short hours and he'd be starting his first day as a ranch hand.

He hefted the bags onto his shoulders and followed her lead. The first thing he was going to have to do was unpack his property, and get situated for the following day. never the less once he dropped his bags off he could take the grand tour before settling for the evening. He figured it would be best to know more about what and where he would be performing his duties, that way he could rise early the next day and hopefully make a good impression Even though he had just gotten off the train he was ready to start his new life and finally do something for himself. "Where shall we begin?"

Kate smiled and pocketed her keys as he got his bags. The lovely redhead took a moment to shamelessly check him out. He was a handsome man and very well built. He wasn't as muscled as the other hands around here just yet, but she could see the potential. The second his head was up, and he had his bag, her eyes were back on his face. Despite her moment of weakness and curiosity, she was a business woman, and it would be wrong to check him out. No matter how handsome he was.

Molly, however, hadn't missed a second of her niece's little look. She smirked a bit and then guided the two of them toward the bunkhouse. "Well, why don't we start with where you'll be living?" Kate nodded and fell in step with them, guiding them into the first bunkhouse.

Bunkhouse wasn't quite right, but it was about as similar to one as it could be. The housing was pretty simple. Along one wall was a bank of lockers where most hands stored their work boots and other work attire. A heavy-duty rug covered the entry area to catch dirt, mud, and anything else that might be on their feet. Down a wide hallway filled with paintings, group pictures, and old quilts, the large open bay bathroom lay in wait. It did have separate shower stalls (enough for half of the men at once) and as many bathroom stalls. The sinks were in a solid finished concrete counter top with a large mirror going all the way across the wall. The fixtures were simple, but well-worn.

There were cubbies along the wall with shaving kits, bathing materials, and there was a long cubbie with a hamper along the bottom and clean towels at the end. Towels, Molly informed him, were the one bit of laundry she did for the men around here, though she was occasionally talked into mending or ironing things for special occasions, and more.

The bunkhouse had a separate common area with a big screen and various entertainment center options and plenty of seating, complete with a fridge and areas to store snacks.

And then there was the bunk area which had bedside tables (and shelves for the upper bunks), lamps, closet units, and dressers, all arranged carefully. The other bunkhouse was like this, too.

"Well, you're in the bottom bunk at the end of the row. We set you up with some sheets and a pillow and a nice home-made quilt, courtesy of Aunt Molly," Kate said with a smile. "You're free to use anything you like, but we didn't know what you'd be bringing, and we like to give everyone a little piece of the ranch to make them feel more at home here."

Molly nodded and smiled. "That's one of my best ones, too. I hope you'll enjoy it, but you might want something lighter in the summer. Anyway, don't feel obligated to use it if you don't like it. We leave the kitchen open in the morning so people can eat what they like. I have everything stocked. If you take the last of something, try to remember to put it on the list, but if not I'll catch it when I do the rundown for the shopping at the end of the week anyway. We do lunch and supper together family-style courtesy of moi, and we do it at the same time every day so that way we make sure you all get breaks and enough food to fill you up. I'm always cooking so if you need something, let me know."

Kate grinned. "That's my little home-maker. I mostly do the paperwork and bill-paying when I'm in my office. I also do a lot of customer relations and marketing, taking meetings and stuff. I do like to visit at least one of our operations every day so I can get out of the office. And I do give riding lessons on the weekends, which I always encourage our hands to volunteer for if they have the patience. It doesn't pay extra, but I am very grateful for the next week and tend to look the other way when you pull shenanigans on the other hands."

The bunkhouse was extremely organized which was a wonderful thing to him. It meant that he wouldn't have to worry about anyone being messy or the bunk house becoming trashed. This also meant that his militant background wouldn't come out since this was a barracks environment. Logan nodded as he looked around, this was amazing and he approved. He reached out and took the quilt with a smile, this certainly wasn't something he expected. He had brought his own bedding which mostly consisted of a set of sheet as he ran hotter than most but couldn't sleep without a blanket of some kind. "Thank you." He said softly putting the blanket on his bed along with his bags.

He did like the feel of the room. Logan was already in a pair of jeans, and he was almost ready to get started working now, after all no time like the present to get used to his new life. He set his bag upright on the bed and opened it reaching for one of his cotton tee shirts in the bag. He pulled it out and unraveled it laying it out in preparation of putting it on. Even though his red shirt was a button up he only unfastened the top two buttons and pulled it off setting it on the bag. His upper body and back twisted which flexed his muscles in his back. Logan was built lean and mean as it were his entire body had a collective of only fifteen percent body fat but his mass could only be seen when he was actually using his muscles, like he was now.

He wasn't oblivious to the two women behind him and as he lifted his other shirt over his shoulders he turned to face them pulling the shirt down over his chest and abs to cover them from sight once again. "I don't think I'll miss diner this evening, I plan on working up quite the appetite over the next few hours. I'm not really all to picky about the food I eat, but I do try to remain balanced in my meals. Please forgive me if I only eat certain things at certain times. I'm not being picky sometimes the mood needs to be right to eat certain foods. I mainly try to avoid junk food but you know brownies and ice cream are a huge weakness for me. Aside from that, I'm ready to get underway for my new position."

Kate and Molly smiled as he took the quilt. They were both pleased that he was feeling right at home. That was the whole point of giving him the quilt, after all. A personal touch to make him feel like one of the family. This one would keep him warm if he wanted it. It would come in handy in the winter months. It might still be a little too warm for now, though.

Though he seemed comfortable, it hadn't dawned on either of the ladies that he would change his shirt in front of them. And oh, my, what a sight it was to see. He was a lean man--cut, some might say--but the muscles were there, and they were defined. Both women had a faint hint of rosiness to their skin as he took off the red button-up he'd arrived in and then put on a t-shirt that seemed to hug his every contour. It seemed rude to stare, but it was hard not to.

Kate snapped out of it first and shook her head, turning to the side to keep herself from watching too closely. She hadn't had a boyfriend for about a month now, and seeing someone so built just didn't seem fair. Not to mention she was his boss now. With a sigh, the redhead looked to her aunt and gave her a little nudge so the older woman would realize her tongue was getting dusty.

Molly pulled herself together as he told her about eating certain things at certain times. Though he tried to tell her he wasn't picky, having to be in a certain mood to eat certain things made him just that in her opinion. Whatever. "Well, we eat family style here, so you just don't take what you don't want. If you want something different, you can make it yourself, because I have hungry mouths to feed. I make it a habbit to not serve junk food--empty calories don't do anybody any good on a ranch. I stick to protein and carbs, with a healthy dose of fresh veggies. I am a nutritionist, you know."

"Former beauty queen, too," Kate said with a smirk. "She knows how to make meals count. I do believe it's brownies and ice cream tonight, by the way. Lucky you." The redhead nodded at them both. "If you'll excuse me, I have paperwork to do and payroll to check over. After that, I'll be in my room until dinner." With that, she took her leave.

Molly shook her head. "Well, don't you worry about working up an appetite, son. We have lots for you to do. I'll get you to our foreman and he'll get you squared away. Kate was working with some of our more excited steeds today, wrangling, roping, and training. If she weren't so tired, I'm sure she would take the time to show you around herself. The paperwork is usually something she tries to get done before she passes out, so if you hear her mention it during a work day, she's usually at her limit," the brunette said, nodding. "I'd show you around more, but fried chicken, potato salad, green salads, sugar snap peas, grilled corn, and brownies don't make themselves." Here she motioned for Logan to follow her and left the bunkhouse.

When they found the foreman, a man in his early 50s named Roger, he paired up Logan with the groomers. It seemed a fair place to start. Plus, he could help muck out stalls and get hay. It would be a decent afternoon's work until dinner came around.

Back
Top Bottom