Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Love and Betrayal (Unlucky & Candria)

Harold wouldn't tell her it, but he found the way she cared for him so passionately rather cute, even when she was worried and asking him if he was okay he could not help but laugh at it all. He liked it a lot, but for now he would just give her a bad time about it. Teasing her was always a bit of fun, when it was appropriate that is. He didn't want to anger her too much if he could help it...granted it soon turned out that he had made a mistake when he started talking about how easy it was to deceive commoners. Moments after he spoke he wish he had bit his tongue instead. But it was too late the damage was done.

"No, no...both of our tongues got carried away. I apologize for my own tongue, Sophia." He said a bit upset with himself when she asked what would happen next or what would happen today the knight would ponder it for a little bit. He wasn't entirely sure what was going to happen today, Well if we're lucky we ought to see a reply for your ransom will be brought back, and from there we can make our plans to meet with your father." the knight said though one of his hands curled into a fists, his anger was still quite present in his body. It would be hard to let go at the very least. "Either that or we may march on a town, but I don't recall that being part of the plan." The knight said turning and setting on his bed before looking toward the entrance. He thought he heard someone coming, but he wasn't entirely sure.

Sophie realized that he was upset now, too, and perhaps she'd gone too far. But he really shouldn't have said that. She frowned as he apologized and cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, too, Harold. I didn't mean to make you feel bad."

She came and sat next to him, taking one of his hands. "Can we forgive each other?" she smiled softly and gave his hand a squeeze. "I meant to ask you...do they really plan on returning me to my father? Because before you do, I think I need to tell you what I know about what happened to yours."

She was certainly worried about what would happen if she went back to her father after having been kidnapped. That was less important, however, than the need for Harold to find the truth. If she could keep him from killing the king in a bloody coup before he found out what really happened, that was more important than anything that could ever happen to her.

When he felt her hand clasp to his own, he looked up at her and offered her a soft smile to make her feel better and more comfortable. "Of course we can, do not worry, I will not hold any grudge against you. I care for you far too much to allow a simple slip of the tongue to separate us. You shouldn't worry so much about small mistakes, we've been friends too long to allow such things to harm that bond we have. " When asked if they really intended for them to return her, the ex-knight was not entirely sure to be honest. He had no idea what the group planned. "Well it depends on his answer, they have no reason to attempt to draw the ire of a lord. They did not wish to discuss it with me, perhaps they plan to assassinate your father? Or they could very well hand you back after extorting resources. I have no idea which, but is there something you would want me to push them toward?" Harold asks her more than a little curious as to what her intentions were.

Though when she mentioned what happened to his father, he blinked at her a bit surprised that she had knowledge of such a thing, but then again given her background...perhaps she had heard something critical. "Sophie if you know something, anything! I beg of you to tell me! Please, I have to know what happened to my father, he died shamed and striped of honor. If you know something that could redeem his honor and my family I would be in your debt." The knight said his tone switched to pleading with her. Not that he felt the need to it, just came out rather naturally and he decided that there was no reason to change it. It was already said, but if he could get evidence of his family's innocence then he would have to take it. Regardless of the risk.

Sophie smiled as he reassured her. It was good to know that after all this time, they could still trust each other to forgive. She squeezed his hand and wondered what she should push for in terms of her release. She didn't relish going back to the lord who claimed her as his descendent and locked her away, ready to trade her like so many gold coins. She wasn't sure she was fond of being a real prisoner in this camp, either. But being with Harold was the only thing that made her feel good about the future. The rest of her options (if you could call them that) were depressing at worst and left her stomach in knots at best.

But those thoughts were quickly pushed aside as Harold begged her for the information she had. "Of course! I wanted to tell you sooner, but there was never really a good time." She let his hands go and then reached for the small pack she'd managed to sneak with her. "I'm not entirely sure when the planning started or what the true reason for it was, but my father had been secretly dealing with unsavory men for months before your father was accused of treason." She frowned and removed a partially burnt envelop from the pack she'd managed to sneak with her. The wax seal was miraculously intact. "This is the seal from one of the letters my father destroyed. I couldn't recognize it, but I believe it will lead back to the conspirators my father was working with."

She searched through the pack and found the evidence used against Harold's father. "This is what they used to convince the king your family was plotting against him. I'm not sure of the exact words they used--I was locked in my room at the time--but from what I understand, there were other nobles involved as well. They'd either been bought by my father or convinced by the men he was working with. I never caught sight of their faces, but I always knew when the men were visiting my father. I wasn't sure what has happening at the time, but it didn't sit right with me. I wish I knew more...but I don't think that the king was plotting against you. He was merely a pawn in my father's plans...whatever they may be."

That was all she really knew. It didn't seem like so much now that she said it out loud, but it was a valuable start if he could invest the time in finding out more. "I wish I could be more useful, Harold. But that was all I could find out in my current position." She hung her head a bit, knowing that it wouldn't give him peace, but it would certainly be better than knowing nothing at all.

When handed the envelope Harold's eyes immediately went to the seal, and they grew wide. That was the seal of Baron Ledrick! He was a famous general in the northern region, what on earth was going on here? Why was he involved, his loyalty was rarely in question! Harold had fought alongside him several times, and he never questioned the cause for the kingdom or the King's orders. How and why was he involved in such a thing? The knight's mouth hung agape in sheer shock and he was absolutely baffled by such a development. What on earth was going on? Then she handed him more evidence that he needed, and he glanced through it. It wasn't much, but bits and pieces of correspondence and what seemed like an empty bottle of poison. Harold lifted each object to his face level and observed it for what seemed like several minutes, only when Sophie spoke to him did he look at her. A face mixed with shook, horror, and anger was clearly seen with her eyes.

His voice was a bit shaky at first as though he was confused, he sat upon the bed and clutched his head. "Okay...hold on....let me think for a bit." the silence would be several minutes long, it seemed like he had a lot to think about. After a bit he nodded his head, "Alright." he said before reaching underneath her chin and lifting her gaze to face him once more. "Well I'm not certain about the King, this evidence does call into question his motives, and I'm willing to set aside my quest against him for now, until matters become clearer. Let it be know that I am no man of dishonor. I need a way to find out more, but I cannot do it here among these rebels...." Harold said rubbing his chin a bit, before an idea strikes him.

He looks at Sophie, "Before I go any further...I need to know your answer. I want to pursue this possible lead, but it might be safer if you were to go with your father into the kingdom. I'd like to think that I could get through this alone, but I think you may be of great help to me. However, I don't want to put you in any more danger. Thus I am leaving you with a choice, you can go home with your father and be safe and sound, or you can try to help me figure out the truth of all this. What would you rather do?" the knight asks her sincerely. He wanted her honeest and heartfelt opinion on this. He couldn't live with thought of losing her too after he had lost so much.

Sophie didn't know the significance of the seal, or what most of the evidence she had gathered meant. It was, however, clear that something had been plotted among men of means, and it had been going on long before Harold and his family were cast out as traitors. That she could help him at all seemed like a blessing to her. He wasn't usually one to ask for help, even when it might be nice to have it. That she could pro idea him with evidence was a wonderful first step. His concentration on each piece she handed over only served to make her think that she had done well to gather what she had.

When he lifted her chin, her eyes immediately met his and she blushed softly. Did she want to go back to her father? No. But it was possible that she could find more information if she went that route. She might finally be able to play the political game for a good cause, using everything at her disposal. Then again, she didn't want to spend the rest of her life manipulating others. And she absolutely did not want to become a prisoner again. Besides, leaving Harold was no guarantee that she would succeed in gathering Intel. She wanted to stay and help her dear friend. Even if it meant pretending to be a prisoner here as well.

"Harold...I want nothing more than to stay with you. I want to aid you in your quest to avenge your family and right the wrongs against you. You have been my dearest friend for so long, and sometimes, it seemed, the only one. Please, let me repay that kindness." Her eyes were full of sincerity, but there was another quality there as well--fire. Determination to do her best for him. And if he looked closely enough, he would see the love--the adoration she had for him. "Please, Harold. Let me stay as long as I can."

Harold could see the fire in her eyes, and she seemed to be determined to help him. That helped make his decision quite a bit easier the knight placed his arms on her shoulders, before wrapping her up in a hug. "Thank you, Sophie, you have no idea how much assistance you will be to me." he said before releasing her from her hug, he then began to look around the tent and gathering a few important items and gears. Mostly stuff that she would expect to see someone traveling a great distance with, granted he was silent with his plans. He had to think them out a bit more before, eventually he had packed up a large backpack. He then turned to the kidnapped noble woman.

"Alright, we're going to check out a lead that you just gave me. There was a noble man who lives up in the northern area, a loyal man and this is his seal. My question is do you think that you can sneak around and steal supplies for us? I might be able to procure a horse, but I need your help to get us enough supplies for a long ride ahead of us." the knight said double checking his blade to ensure it was clean. "However, I'm hesitant to endanger you with such a task. Yet, I know I cannot allow you to return to your father, he will use you against me and I would be unable to draw my blade against him." the knight admitted, he would feel so powerless in that situation...so helpless and the like. How could he let her be in harm and unable to protect her? He could not allow such a situation to occur.

Sophia was a little surprised that he gave in so easily. He must really have wanted her help. Or perhaps he wanted her to stay by his side. Either way, the smile on her face when he said they would take action was as broad as it was bright. She would get to stay with him, she would be able to use her skills for good, and she would be able to be free a little while longer.

"Steal supplies from the camp?" She asked, a little confused. "Because I'm pretty sure they don't want me walking around freely. I can blend in and steal from most any place, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage here. If you tell me where to go, though, I might be able to take enough supplies to get us started. If we need to hunt along the way, we should...liberate a bow as well. I'm still a good shot."

The kidnapped lady reached for a clock and decided it could be used to her advantage if she played a hung over soldier just scrambling from place to place. It might work...but she needed to know where she was going to avoid getting caught between places. She didn't have the right height for a man but she could manufacture some girth.

"If you mean to take as we go, then I can most certainly do that. It was how I got a majority of things I needed for my sick uncle."

Harold thought about what Sophie had said, yeah what she had said made a whole heck of a lot of sense. It would be difficult for her to sneak around, so she had a good idea or two. "You do have quite a few good points...hmm." the noble man rose a hand to a chin and pondered what he knew of the camp. Perhaps another approach would be a bit better. One where she would be at less risk. "Alright, tell you what. I will go and gather the supplies, I can fabricate an expedition out and gather enough supplies to last us a little while." The noble said, before addressing her part of the plan.

"You ought to be able to get a bow from the two tent, two rows down from here, if you slip underneath then you should be able to get inside undetected, be careful coming back out. Not many of the rebels here are good with bows, so they don't carry them often. When you acquire the bow, make your way here and just wait for me. When you hear me, get ready to hop on the horse and run. We won't have much of a window. From there we escape the camp, we'll have to be quick. I don't want cavalry catching up to us." Harold might have been a great warrior, but he was still just a man and a group of men might prove to be more than troublesome. For now though he would wait to hear Sophie's feedback on his idea!

Sophie liked his new plan better. That he took her suggestions and points into consideration made her happy. He was considerate, and understood that she was more than just a pretty face, even if her constraints as a noble were powerful ones. She happily donned the cloak and stood before him, still lovely in the borrowed clothes, but a little less obviously a woman. It was to her advantage that most of the camp was hung over or possibly still drunk and asleep. She made note of the location of the tent with the bow and nodded at his instructions.

"I can get the bow with those instructions, and it seems like a manageable task. I assume there are arrows and quivers there as well. It shouldn't take me very long if I'm quiet." She nodded and flipped the hood concealing her decidedly feminine features a bit more. If she was caught, she could even affect more of an ailing, stumbling walk to make it seem as though she were hung over.

Still, it was best to be as stealthy as possible. "I'll be waiting for you to come back, so try not to be too long. If I get caught, probably the worst thing that would happen to me is that they'd lock me up. I'm more worried about what might happen to you if they find out I escaped."

Back
Top Bottom