Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Traveling Show (deerpoob and Mim)

Madam Mim

One Big Modern Mess
"Now ladies and gentlemen, if you will turn your gaze skyward you may be able to spot the rare, delicate Russian bird as she gracefully soars from branch to branch, delighting the eye even as she defies gravity." The ringmaster's voice sounded through the microphone as he gestured with a flourish up toward the supports of the tent. "But what's this? She is a little shy tonight; she does not want to fly."

The spotlight fell on Natasha up in the rafters. Makeup around her eyes glittered in the light as she took a deep breath before stepping onto the thin wire in front of her. Her foot wiggled a little but she stayed steady. She got out to the middle of the wire and the audience gasped as she flipped forward onto her hands. Gripping the wire she slowly turned a circle before taking one hand from the wire and holding it out to the side. Bending at the waist, she held her legs out parallel to the ground for a few moments before bringing her feet back to the wire and standing, holding her arms out in a finish. Balancing herself once more she started to walk to the support opposite from where she had started.

"Careful, little bird," the ringmaster's voice warned, though he was no longer in the ring below her, "you don't want to fall!"

At his words the wire began to wiggle back and forth dangerously. Natasha's mouth opened in surprise and she put her arms out to steady herself. The audience cried out in alarm and concern for her safety; there was no net below to catch her if she fell. Several women and children screamed as Natasha's feet slipped and she tumbled toward earth.

But midair she turned a somersault and seemed almost to float for a moment before reaching out to catch a trapeze bar, the sheer chiffon skirt around her full leotard clinging to her legs before she tucked and rolled between bars. The audience gasped and applauded as she turned several flips between bars. Her knees were curled around one bar as she gripped the other. Hanging between the two bars for a moment she let go with her legs and swung up to the platform and took a brief bow in the spotlight before climbing down.

"Ah, such a graceful bird, eh?" The ringmaster chuckled.

"You were a bit late," Natasha mumbled with a scowl. "I almost missed."

Barry, who was in charge of her cue for the bar, shrugged. "Not like you woulda been hurt," he said, unconcerned.

"No, but then we have news crews from all over world wanting to know how a girl like me survives two hundred foot fall yes?" Natasha scowled as her feet touched the ground and she stalked off. It wasn't the first time Barry had been late and she was beginning to wonder whether he was testing her, and if it was just for fun or on someone's orders.

"I swear, one of these days he'll go too far and then everything will all be his fault," Natasha grumbled, mostly to herself as she pushed aside the curtain backstage

Tink

Tink

Tink

A rhythmic metallic sound greeted her as she went backstage, among the mutterings and whispers of the rest of the cast of the circus as they awaited their turn in the spotlight or simply watched the others.

Tink

Tink

Tink

The sound continued and she would soon discover its source. A young man was hurling knives up into the air, 6 now, as each came back down it would land perfectly on either the blade or handle of the last, stacking on top of one another, the bottom held with a point pressed into the fingertip of the mans left hand. It was all very impressive, or would be to human eyes, but this trick was not for such eyes, it was too fake, too unnatural, but their were no wires, no magnets no secret latches to hold them all together, everything was done with only what the man was born with and the knives themselves, just as Natasha had saved herself from plummeting, so too did Daniel balance the knives with an ability that was more then human.

he let them fall and the all landed blade down into the dirt ground and he grinned at Natasha as she past "Barry screwing around again?" he teased a bit, he did not worry as Natasha did, most people would assume some fakery or they would be so caught up in the suspense they would miss the bigger picture. He began collecting his knives, one at a time they would lift off the ground and fly up to his hand, he'd then replace them in the small bandoleer he wore over his shoulders, Daniel was the knife thrower in the circus and while he didn't have a beautiful assistance at which he'd lob his deadly tools he never failed to impress the crowds with tricks that weren't quite as stupendous as the one he had just casually pulled off.

Of course it was not stupendous to him, merely a bit difficult, Daniel could manipulate objects at a distance and after years of practice controlling something the size, weight and shape of his knives had become like breathing, the most difficult part of his trick was maintaining the hold on the knives in his finger. It was a trick he had wanted to do for some time, he could imagine the crowds breath holding as each knife completed it's arc in the air, stunned silence as each knife landed again and again on top of the other, but alas the trick was simply too "impossible" and the crowds would never accept it, he stuck to throws that were slightly slapstick and entertaining, tossing a knife up and seemingly getting ready to catch it, only for it to bonk him on the head with the handle, knocking coins out of the air, things of that nature.

He was a freak, they all were, nearly everyone had some power that made them unable to be themselves among humans, they were different and humans didn't like different, unless they came to a circus where different was the thrill of the day.

Daniel took a seat on a chair nearby, it was in front of a mirror for someone to do their makeup, he glanced around and listened to the ringmaster announce the next attraction, he was third after Natasha, so their were still two more acts before he'd show his skills to the audience.

"You ever feel like we're wasting our time?" he said softly, Daniel liked people...well mostly, he wanted to work he wanted to feel useful, but if he wanted to get a job in a more mundane setting that meant suppressing his abilities, not working to his full potential and he simply wasn't sure if he could handle that, so for the time being he tried to enjoy his work here, at least he got to hear the crowds cheer and laugh as he put his abilities on display for all to see, funny how that worked.

Natasha only grunted as she passed. She wasn't in a mood to talk. She stalked past Daniel to the makeup counter and sat in her usual seat, leaning forward and examining her face for touch-ups. Unlike many of the "main acts," Natasha didn't have a costume change. Shane, the ringmaster, had ensured that her costume covered the several tattoos that adorned her body. Shane had set down very strict rules for Natasha concerning her appearance, rules which she often found unfair and tried to step around whenever she could. She was careful to never truly piss him off, however. She had seen people who had, and they had been left behind. She didn't intend for that to happen to her.

"Maybe I pierce nipples, da?" Natasha suggested as Daniel sat down beside her. She turned sideways and puffed out her not insubstantial chest, as though measuring herself up. "Technically, audience does not see it so is not against rules. What do you--" But Daniel cut her off. She pulled her chest back in and sat forward in her chair again.

"You go see world, write to me and tell me how it is," she said flatly, looking closely in the mirror. "For me, it is be freak here or be freak out there, and I didn't eat as well being freak in Saint Petersburg, and got shot at much more often." She stuck a colored rhinestone to the side of her nose as though to see how it would look as a piercing. Sighing, Natasha looked at the knife thrower. "Daniel, you do not have to stay here. You could leave any time, anywhere, start new life. If you think you are wasting time then go! Life is too short to waste and you are clever. If you think I would follow...I am not clever like you. Here is where I stay; circus is safe."

Natasha searched Daniel's expression before turning to the mirror again. She didn't like to think about leaving the circus, about life outside and where she would be if she ever left. She had thought this was a temporary thing five years ago but had long believed that if she ever left she would be right back where she had been, just in a different gutter than the one Shane had plucked her from. Well, technically speaking Shane had plucked her from a bench in a train station, but the acrobat was no stranger to gutters either. It was a dark place she chose not to go back to by not thinking about it.

"you say you aren't clever yet you got my entire train of thought from just looking at me apparently" he glanced to her and smirked a bit, watching the girl contemplate more odd body modifications, he could get why she was so into it, but he could appreciate creativity in even the oddest forms. Daniel shook his head and laughed a bit "I don't know either Natasha, I guess I might stand a better chance then you but that's only because I'm a guy, you're foreign, have odd hair, tattoos and piercings, if they don't think you're some sort of witch just from your appearance...well your gift will change that" the world outside was harsh enough for someone like him, he couldn't imagine what she had been through in her homeland. Despite his seeming avoidance of her question he did indeed think about it, he could have a normal life if he chose, a wife and kids...some job at a bank or somewhere, but it wasn't the right fit, he wasn't like that and she had to have known as much.

"Freaks are always freaks Natasha, out there or in here just like you said, I wouldn't feel right being anything but" He patted her arm and stood up, adjusting his clothes, he didn't wear odd costumes like many of the others, he preferred a clean cut look like something the hero from one of the serials he read as a kid might be like, sometimes he pictured himself like them, using his powers to rescue and help people, always knowing what to say, a hero.

But he wasn't, the real world wasn't like that not in the slightest. So when his name was called he smiled to Natasha and winked playfully, despite maintaining that same demeanor he was indeed thinking about what she said, leaving the circus...maybe he could leave and try to make his way outside, if he failed he could always come back right?

He pulled all six knives from his bandolier and stepped out into the lights, holding three in each hand and grinning to the audience with arms wide.

"Knives aren't just for cutting your steak ladies and gentlemen, this man has taken cutlery to a whole new level!" The ringmaster announced, Daniel hated the lame jokes but the crowd got a chuckle out of it.

"Watch as he juggles 6 razor sharp blades!" it started off easily enough, juggling the knives, under his leg, behind the back, but then he started to spin them, faster and faster so the blades were a blur of silver in the air, anyone watching wouldn't be able to tell what was blade and what was handle, but he caught them safely everytime, higher and higher the blades flew as he tossed them faster, until the whole thing ended with a handle striking his head with a loud thunk, the rest falling to the ground around him.

"Oh my folks looks like even someone like him gets a bump once in a while" the crowd laughed and Daniel smiled along a bit.

The next trick was a bit odd, hard to see as well, after he had collected two knives a target was rolled out, a large wooden board with a pair of red circles one on top of the other, Daniel tossed one knife high in the air, the spotlight followed it, the silver glinting in the bright light, as it did so he tossed another one underhand and both struck the two targets dead center at the same moment.

He raised his hands as the crowd cheered, picking up another pair and juggling them, tossing one behind his back where he held up the sole of one of his feet, the blade landing on his shoe, while holding this strange position he tossed the other into one of the targets, again a perfect strike right beside its partner.

three knives in the targets, he tossed the one on his foot back over to his hand and picked up another, put then put them both into the same hand and held up a finger in the other as if to say "wait" after which he produced a hankerchief from his pocket, grinning as he held it up.

"A lovely lady from the audience to tie it around his head!" the ringmaster announced.

Daniel of course selected a shy looking young girl, it was always fun to see them looking so sheepishly excited and he grinned happily at her, kneeling down and letting her tie the hankerchief over his eyes, she ran back to her seat and he stood, tossing a knife from one hand to the other, he took a rather overly dramatic stance and made a concious effort to appear like he was aiming, swinging his arms several times as if to get the feel, before finally stepping forward, tripping and letting them both fly.

The crowd laughed as he hit the ground, but a pair of thunks silenced them as the knives hit both targets, again dead center.

The crowd cheered and he removed the blindfold, pretending to be flabbergasted at his success, the crowd was quite good today and he was acting rather hammier then usual.

but still it was on his mind, was she really desiring to leave? she gave of that impression, he was suprised she didn't ask him, she seemed...well she seemed afraid which was strange for Natasha.

He bowed deeply and picked up his last knife, walking off while pretending to shave with it, there were a few noises of disappointment.

"Ladies and gentlemen the king of knives!" for a few seconds he disappeared behind the curtain, the crowd seemed disappointed still, but suddenly a knife flew out from behind the velvet drapes and sailed into the target and once more the tent was filled with cheering as the targets were brought backstage.

He took a deep breath and sighed, rubbing his eyes and stretching his back.

"Well that was fun..." he said, trying to remain cheerful, not trying to think too much about what Natasha had said "you've ruined your body enough Natasha, getting more metal on you will only make you more attractive, well to lightning at least" He grinned stupidly, a terrible joke much like the slapstick of his act, trying to lighten the woman's mood.

"You say 'we' not 'I', is not hard to tell you talk about me also. And I am not foreigner in Russia," Natasha pointed out, a little tersely. "And anywhere else they would think I am false, not witch. We are not in Salem Witch Trials time, Daniel." She rolled her eyes before beginning to apply more eyeshadow and glitter. Her act was done but the finale was yet to come. When he told her he wouldn't feel comfortable doing anything but using his gift, she motioned to the back of the tent where the exit was.

"Go then!" she said. "Go be street performer or super hero or something. You have real gift, but Criss Angel he makes millions. So why not, da?"

But it was time for Daniel to go. She watched him in the mirror as he headed out to the big top before rubbing her face, being careful not to touch her eyes. When she was new and whenever they got new acts she liked to go watch what they did, but it had been a while since they'd had anyone new in the circus. She busied herself pushing out her breasts again before examining her face and ears to see what would look best and have the least risk in getting her kicked out of the circus. Shane had done a lot for her, the least of which had been getting her off the streets: she didn't intend to go back to that, and she had a feeling that was exactly where she would end up if she ever left.

"One way or another it all ends in a needle, da?" Natasha quietly asked her reflection, rubbing the inside of her forearm.

She wasn't open with anyone, even Daniel, about her past or how Shane had found her. Certainly if someone asked the right questions she would be truthful about it, but she didn't see a need to volunteer the information. The fact was Natasha was still trying to shake the past, which is why she was pissed that Shane wouldn't allow her to dye her hair the colors she wanted or get the tattoos and piercings she wanted: she had to indulge somehow and it was her body. Besides, this stupid costume made her feel naked in front of the audience anyway, so why not give them something to look at?

Daniel seemed to have read her mind when he mentioned the metal. Natasha frowned a little. "Is not ruining my body. Is art. If lightning strike me, then it strikes. I do what I want with my own body...no matter what Shane says." She was grateful to Shane for what he had done for her, but it wasn't in Natasha's nature to be docile or submissive. She was headstrong and fought him on the little things, sometimes even just for fun. In the end though, if it was something that would get her kicked out...well, she knew where her meals came from. "They always like act, no?" she searched for a change of subject.

He stifled a yawn and looked to her "I guess so, a new crowd hasn't seen it before, it's dumb but it's entertaining I guess...your's is as well, a knife is one thing, nearly falling 200 feet is another entirely" he smiled a bit, he supposed he couldn't argue, the woman could do whatever she pleased to her body...well ok not anything, Shane the ringmaster might not be to happy is she got a big tattoo over her face or something like that. He tilted his head "just don't do anything you regret...either physically or because of how Shane reacts huh?" he warned her, he didn't think he'd kick her out if she got something very visible, a nose ring or something could be removed and he'd likely make her do it for the shows.

"you're the closest thing to a pretty face we have around here, most knife throwers have a beautiful assistant in a revealing dress you know" he chuckled teasingly "he's the boss one way or another, your welcome to do as you please just as he is welcome to kick you out...it's unfortunate but that's life in the circus" He shrugged his shoulders and walked over, once the target was returned to the tent he removed his knives from it and slotted them back into a rollup pouch he kept them in, reminding himself he'd have to clean them later.

"So what...the next stop is Berlin, one of the biggest of the year...if I wanted to leave that'd be a good time to do it..." he glanced to her "but frankly I'd feel lost all alone" he smirked a bit as he found himself actually considering it, would he leave? as much as he enjoyed his time here and as much as he enjoy being free to use his powers, it was still missing something....

He'd never be a 9-5 2 kids and a wife sort of guy, never in a million years..but there had to be more to life then doing the same routine day in and day out as well right? he'd have to risk it if he ever wanted it, what better time then now?

"Would...would you leave with me Natasha?" he asked plainly, he knew she seemed scared, but that was because she had a rough existence before the circus, he didn't know the specifics but he could tell she had probably been a orphan or homeless, she knew what hard living was like, but maybe if she wasn't alone she could manage it, frankly he thought having her around would make things better for him as well, he didn't like the prospect of being alone in Europe either.

"Oh try not to sleep, da?" Natasha teased, watching Daniel yawn widely. Her cheeks blushed a little pink when he complimented her act. "Is not like I can get hurt," she mumbled. She'd never been good at taking compliments. "Knives, even with control over them they can still hurt if you do not pay attention. And I do not regret what I do to body...on the outside, anyway." She had never regretted a single tattoo, piercing, or dye job.

"Close to pretty face. Ha! Bol'shoye spasibo, Daniel!" she laughed, rolling her eyes. "If I was lovely assistant, I would be in this. Tattoos are ugly, Shane says, ruins beauty. I say skin is blank page, meant to have story written on it. Shane, he just does not like my story." Natasha gave him a pretty, somewhat crooked smile. "Besides, if I were in short dress, you would only see part of story. Maybe one day I get Shane's name tattooed across forehead, da?" She laughed shortly. Shane took care of her, but that didn't mean she was blind to his failings and vanity was his major flaw.

"Berlin is nice city," Natasha said as Daniel mused. "Very friendly to street performers too. And they say Germany is gateway to all of Europe. But maybe you learn German first da?" She smiled though she could see something working behind his eyes. He didn't want to be alone...it only came as a slight surprise when he asked her to come with him. They were two of the youngest performers in the circus and if they were close to anyone, it was each other.

"No Daniel," Natasha said after a few moments. "I cannot. I told you...circus has been good to me you don't know how much. If I leave would not be good for me. Back to box one." She stood as the call came for the final act. "Come, is finale time."

He sighed and shook his head "you wouldn't be back at square one Natasha, you wouldn't be alone..." he didn't actually know for a fact she was alone, it was an educated guess and he'd go by her expression to tell if he was right, he sometimes wondered if he had some sort of telepathy in addition to his other abilities, Telekinesis or whatever people might refer to it as, he had never outright read someones mind but he had been always dimly aware of a persons feelings, some might have said it was just a careful eye for emotion and small ticks or something, but sometimes he wondered.

The Finale of course was the crescendo, all the acts came out and essentially did small things all at once, then they bowed to the audience and the ringmaster bid them good night, Daniel continued to think about what she had said, Berlin would be the best spot for such a thing, he might not be here again until the next year...he'd manage well enough with English, most people could understand some of it and eventually he'd pick up the German he'd need to actually get by, he mentally counted the small bit of money he had stored in his coat, there must have been about $600 in there, a mixture of pounds and euros with some american bills as well, probably enough to last a few months if he was careful. Bar bets were easy to win when you had his abilities on your side.

He began flinging knives at a contortionist, or rather through the various holes he'd make in his poses, acting as if he was trying to hit the man and the man kept changing shape to avoid it.

Once all 6 had been thrown the two bowed along with the rest of the performers as they finished up little acts around the ring, he kept an eye out for Natasha, maybe he'd sleep on it, Berlin was still a day or two away after all, no rush right?

Natasha pursed her lips, not liking to be contradicted. "I have no one, Daniel," she said tersely before heading out to the main ring again.

The acrobat performed her usual routine for the finale with no mishap. She turned a triple backflip before dismounting a hundred feet to take her bow as Shane's voice boomed over the speaker system. Once everyone was in the back and he'd finished the show he came backstage. Grinning broadly he applauded loudly.

"Good job everyone! Excellent!" the Irishman called to the babbling crowd. "I'll be out pressing the flesh, you lot get some food in your bellies yeah? Ali, Barbara, Iain!" The fire thrower, mentalist, and strong man (respectively) followed the ringmaster outside while a general murmur of agreement and excitement rose from the rest of the cast.

Natasha retreated to her own private tent to change into a pair of shorts and a tank top before making her way across the grass to the dining tent. She grabbed a paper plate full of food before finding a seat at one of the collapsible picnic benches. She kept an eye out for Daniel and beckoned him over once he'd gotten his share.

"Is strange," she said through a mouthful of pasta. "Shane he say 'father knows best,' but you ever notice...when we have show father never eats with us?" She stuffed another mouthful, famished. Natasha was still very slight and willowy but it had taken her a long time to get that way. When Shane had found her she had been malnourished, nearly starving.

He sighed to himself, was she really that blind?

After the show he joined her with his plate of food, stuffing it hungrily into his mouth, his powers took alot out of him, like most of them, so they always had a large meal together after every show. Daniel looked at her as he chewed, making a rather large effort to swallow before he spoke.

"It is weird isn't it, always those three to, his own little bodyguards or something" he mused, what did a ringmaster of a circus need with personal bodyguards? they didn't talk to other people, rather standoffish types and while Daniel could understand not being too sociable given the life alot of the people here grew up with, those three stood out. He took a long drink of water and looked to her again, most of his clothes were of the same style he wore during the shows, frankly he liked it, made him feel like he was worth something.

"he's in his own world I guess" he always wondered why she referred to him as father, she was young when she joined he had assumed, Daniel himself was a bit less interesting, he turned 18 and took his school savings, bought himself a ticket to Paris and never returned to his home since. Life hadn't been terrible but he always felt out of place and so he had wanted to do the thing all teenagers did "find themselves by losing themselves" he had eventually discovered the circus and much to his surprise found they were all like him, weird how he had ended up running away to the circus without ever intending to do it.

Daniel scarfed down the rest of his food with surprising speed and yawned openly now "he's got his own things to deal with, who knows right?" he shrugged and smiled at her "just relax huh? I'm not leaving you just yet" he teased her, the more he thought about it the more it appealed, as much as he had enjoyed his time here it was coming to it's end...he'd fine another place to run off to maybe, hell he might even return home for a bit if he could get the money.

"All...eh...enforcers? Da." Natasha nodded to herself, confident she had found the right word.

Perhaps as a show of rebellion--Natasha herself didn't know--the acrobat always wore small clothing unless they were in a cold climate. If she was in shorts they were daisy dukes; her shirts were almost always tank tops or tube tops. The cross of the Russian Orthodox church covered the inside of one forearm and there are jokes among the other circus folk about how many men had seen the head of her dragon, which snaked down her thigh nearly to her knee. Shane had tried many times to try to get her to wear less revealing clothing, but she refused.

"I think maybe is time for father to come eat with his family, da?" Natasha smiled mischievously as she finished her dinner. "We see why he needs so tough people around him. You are not leaving me tonight, so come make mischief with me."

The acrobat was twenty-two, but the way Shane made her act she may as well have been a teenager again. Perhaps because she hadn't had a chance to be a teenager when she was actually a teen and Shane was such a controlling patriarch. Every time Shane had brought it up, Natasha always cheekily replied that he wouldn't like her if she were any other way. Grabbing Daniel's hand with an impish smile she tugged him out of his seat and out of the tent to find Shane. A few tents away she was able to follow the sound of his voice.

"--we've been forced to hide! For too long we've been persecuted, forced to pass ourselves off as sideshow freaks and street performers! Well now I say no more!" Natasha looked at Daniel, confused and concerned, before pulling him along the side of a tent to hide themselves as they listened to what sounded like a sermon. "My brothers, my sisters, join me. Together we can work wonders. We are God's miracles and it is time to show that to the rest of the world! Our time is coming, our time is now, and no one--no one--can stop us now!"

He smiled to her and nodded, her English got better and better everyday "what do you mean? he's going to do whatever he want's Natasha.." he reasoned, they couldn't exactly go up to him and ask him to join them for dinner, frankly Daniel wasn't sure he'd want him around anyway.

Daniel looked at her a bit wide eyed but laughed "you are crazy" he stated plainly, yet he didn't resist as she pulled on him, tugging him off out of the mess hall and towards the Ringmaster's personal tent. Their were several large tents, one was for the shows, another for storing supplies and for most of the performers sleeping quarters, the mess hall for meetings and eating and finally Shane's large personal tent, several of the perfomers, Natasha among them, had procured personal tents for themselves as well but none were as large as the ringmasters.

He followed her quietly along, of course fabric did little to block noise so being in his tent did not stop their eavesdropping. He stared off into the distances as he heard the man speak.

"w...what the hell is he going on about?" Daniel whispered barely above a breath, He looked to Natasha with a face of concern.

He was planning some sort of rebellion? or was this some weird act he was putting on...sure the freaks weren't always well treated but their were plenty of people like that, people didn't trust what they couldn't understand, they couldn't be faulted for that right? that didn't give them the right to be horrible to those who were different...but by that same coin Daniel had no desire to hurt someone who didn't like what he was.

Natasha shook her head but put a finger to her lips. She looked worried, but wasn't willing to reveal their presence just yet. Shane had never made it clear to her or anyone what his ability was...perhaps he could put suggestions into peoples' minds. She frowned as he continued.

"How do we know you're the real thing?" someone from the crowd shouted. "How do we know you're not just pulling us in?"

"You're cautious sir, I admire that," Shane replied, a smile in his voice. "Ali, if you would please." There was a glow and a noise of roaring fire, though the two eavesdroppers didn't have a chance to see just what it was Ali had done. Whatever it was, it was enough to silence the doubters. "We need to work together, and if you follow me, do as I say, we can make a brand new world for our kind. One where it is them who need to hide, where the so-called normal people are the out casts! And on--Hm?"

There was a woman's voice murmuring in his ear. Natasha recognized Barbara's voice but couldn't make out what she was saying. The mentalist's act was something akin to hypnotism, but it was well know among the circus that she was also an empath. She could feel others' emotions. With a cold horror Natasha realized what must have been going on.

"We need to go. Now," she murmured to Daniel, but it was too late. Shane's footsteps were already heading for them.

Daniel grit his teeth, this was insane! what the hell was Shane doing? He shook his head but kept quiet as Natasha held her finger up, continuing to listen.

Just what was going on in there? he must have had several people in there, maybe as many as a dozen, the voice of the dissenter he didn't recognize, a local? His eyes widened however as he realized in time with Natasha, that not only was Barbara in there with Shane, she could feel there shock and surprise at the situation.

"Damnit" he muttered, Shane was not one for people who disobeyed him, Natasha was lucky he seemed to have a soft spot for her but this was a bit much, they'd probably get the chance to join them, something Daniel knew he could never do, if they didn't however it wouldn't end pretty he expected.

So they had to go, just like Natasha said they needed to get out of here. He raised a hand, the poles holding the side of the tent that they were on up snapped in two, sending the heavy fabric down ontop of whoever was inside the tent, hoping he had slowed them all down enough he grabbed Natasha's hand and pulled her, running off along the grass between the tents toward the performer's tent.

Within a few seconds he had lifted up a back part of the cloth, near where he had his small bit of posseions, he was mostly after his small tin of money, and he was back out. He looked to her, slipping the cash into his pocket and tossing the box aside, her tent was a bit out from the rest, but then again it might have been the first place they checked.

"should we go to your tent?" he didn't want her running around in shorts and a tank top, it wasn't cold but the temperature dropped at night. He looked around, already he could hear a commotion on the otherside of the compound as the group tried to free itself from the collapsed tent, he still didn't know who had gotten out though, risky risky risky....

They were outside a forest, the border of France and Germany, several miles through the woods and they would be in France, possibly safe, it looked like they'd be leaving a bit before he had planned...

Natasha tried to back away but tripped over her own feet backwards onto Daniel. He brought down the poles, however, and they seemed to have bought some time. For good measure Natasha increased the gravitational pull on the fabric, making it heavier at least long enough for them to get away. She sprinted with Daniel back towards the big top where he grabbed money out of a tin.

"Da..." she panted, working to catch her breath and taking his hand again, pulling him toward her tent. "They do not know was us."

Once again they were sprinting out towards the edge of the camp. Natasha liked to be out away from the others, where she could see the stars. The inside of the tent was comfortable and colorful, with scarves and beads hung from the low ceiling and colorful patchwork carpets covering the ground. Against one side was a bed with a colorful patchwork quilt. It looked every bit the gypsy tent inside that it looked outside. Natasha dove over to a large trunk in the corner and began stuffing a duffel bag with clothes, money, and a few sentimental items. She looked around the tent sadly. She was going to miss it.

"I cannot fit it in the bag," she said sadly, looking to Daniel and motioning to the tent. With a grunt of frustration, she grabbed a pillow from the bed and stuffed it in the bag before pulling on a pair of sneakers and slipping a switchblade from the trunk into her pocket. "Okay. We run."

The acrobat got to her feet and grabbed Daniel's hand again. She held it tightly as they snuck out of camp where towards the middle the sound of chaos signaled that everyone had escaped the heavy tent. Once they were safely in the dark part of the grass, Natasha tugged Daniel back into a sprint. She didn't slow down until they were in the trees, and even then she jogged until the trees grew closer together.

She was probably partly right, Barbara couldn't have known who it was, but all it would take would be a rounding up up the whole troupe, her checking everyone, they couldn't hide there emotions from her like that...but he didn't have time to explain all of that, he was leaving anyways, why not like this? it was enough of a push to get Natasha to go with him, he watched her pack and sighed "as useful as it'd be no you can't, I'm sorry Natasha" he said, shaking his head.

He let her lead the way out into the woods, glancing back when he had the chance, it seemed they were indeed rounding up the troupe to find out who had overheard. Daniel shook his head "Shane is...insane!" he said between breaths as they sprinted to the trees.

He slowed down as she did and soon they had gotten a fair distance away, far enough to not see the clearing let alone any of the tents.

Daniel finally tugged her hand to say to stop and he sat down, catching his breath in deep inhales. Looking to her again he shook his head "I'm sorry" he said, feeling like he should apologize, he knew she had wanted to stay, knew she had been afraid to go back to living on her own but now they didn't seem to have much choice, at least for the time being...

He closed his eyes, his chest rising and falling quickly, Daniel undid his vest and sighed, the air was cool, comfortable for the time being, but it would keep going down as the night went on, she had been smart to grab more clothes, he'd have to make do with what he had until they could find a town or something, or perhaps if they stayed not to far away they could sneak back to collect a few more things.

"No...shit..." Natasha panted back, dodging trees and jumping over roots.

Finally they slowed to a stop. After a few deep breaths Natasha's body had time to register the temperature. She dug into the duffle, shrugged on a tattered denim jacket with flannel lining, and looked down at Daniel on the ground. She shook her head, grabbing his hand and hauling him to his feet.

"No time for sorry," she said simply, tugging him along though now at a walk. "No time for sleeps or for regrets. Tonight we walk, da? We find town, find place for sleepings, figure out a plan. We cannot let Shane do this. It is hard life for people like us, but is not worth genocide. Never worth that." She looked over her shoulder and sighed before turning back around.

"One day...I get my tent back," she vowed aloud. It felt silly to be concerned for her little tent, but she had saved up for it and everything in it. It had been the only thing she owned in the world that was truly hers. "I guess now I can get tattoos and dye hair, da?" Natasha chuckled, trying to bring a little levity to the situation. She wasn't looking forward to walking through the night when she had already been exhausted before they'd started running.

He sighed as she pulled him up, but he didn't argue, she was right, it would be best to keep moving incase someone had seen them running. He followed her along, squeezing her hand softly "I don't think it's too far...that town we stopped in 3 days ago? the little french one with the lady that brought us those pies" he said, trying to remeber what direction that was, he thought they were going roughly the right way, south west.

Daniel tightened his jaw and nodded "your right, but for now we need to figure out what we're going to do about us" he said, clothing and food and safety were more important, once they had gotten some semblance of safety again they could figure out what to do about Shane. He tried to grin at her "all the tattoos and piercings and hair colors you want" he said, hoping that would cheer her up as she tried to do the same for him. They kept walking for some time, soon they were several miles away, it was growing dark and would only get darker, they wouldn't be able to see if they didn't have light.

"Natasha I think we should stop...the town is clearly not close enough to reach soon, we need to rest and we need to find somewhere safe before we can't see at all." he reasoned with her, looking around in an attempt to find a suitable place.

The shadows were long, the sun was setting and it was getting colder still.

He pointed "there...up there can you see it? I think their's a small cave or something, we can stay for the night." he didn't like the idea of staying in some cave that might be wet or full of bugs or worse but they couldn't walk much further, they were both tired from the days show and practices, not to mention the miles they had just covered.

"They won't find us here...theirs no way then could search this far out in one night, assuming they even know we're gone or care."

Natasha tried to argue with Daniel. She didn't want to stop: she wanted to put as much distance between themselves and that madman as possible. But as much as she didn't want to admit it he was right. They were tired and the town was still miles away, and the others would be just as tired and unable to continue the search until daybreak. She followed the direction to where he was pointing, sighed, and nodded. That would have to do.

"Shane will know. He will care," she said darkly before turning and leading the way up to the cave, holding his hand.

Once they had climbed up to the cave, Natasha pulled out a flashlight and looked around. No water or bears or wolves, just a few spiders. She wasn't afraid of spiders. Nodding in approval she set her bag down before pulling out the pillow and a blanket she'd packed. The acrobat may have been defiant and contrary, but extremely practical.

"I have blanket and pillow, but we will have to share," she said, clearing dirt away from stone with her foot and setting them down. She seemed to remember something and fished her phone out of her pocket. "Take battery out of phone, do not use unless we have to. Even if is off, they can still track it if battery is still in. If no...just a big piece of plastic, da?"

Natasha pulled the battery out of her phone, tossed them both into the bag, and kept the flashlight on long enough for Daniel to do the same though she kept her hand over the light, letting through just enough for him to see what he was doing. It wouldn't do if Shane and his lot were close by and saw a light in a cave. Phones taken care of, she sat down and flicked the flashlight off, allowing her eyes to adjust to the dark before laying on bare stone and pulling the blanket over her, laying her head on only a part of the pillow. It was clear she was sharing both with Daniel, putting them in close quarters though it would at least keep them warm.

"well even a mind reader won't find us this far out" he reasoned as they made their way to the cave, of course Barbara wasn't a mind reader, no one like them was that powerful, she just got feelings as far as Daniel knew. He took her into the small cave and gazed around, following the beam of her flashlight with his eyes, while he wasn't a fan of spiders their were worse things that could have been in here so he took what he could get.

He sighed, feeling very stupid for not preparing better as she had, he had rushed himself, a mixture of fear and excitement clouding his better judgement. She was smarter then he was in this sort of situation, he wasn't the survivor she was, he had spent some time on the streets when his money had ran low but that as France, she had likely spent alot longer on her own and in a place as vast and cold as Russia, well of Russia wasn't all cold but it wasn't like he had any idea where she was from in the worlds largest country.

Daniel blinked, in the time he had been lost in thought, something he often did, she had again proven smarter "Cellphones..good idea" one of the small luxuries many of the performers had, he removed his battery and replaced it and the phone in his pocket, she had also produced a blanket and a pillow.

"People don't say you're smart often enough Natasha." he grinned and moved in, feeling a bit awakward laying so close to the young acrobat, but he'd have to suck it up if they were going to stay warm right?

She had found as smooth a rock as she could manage but the ground was cold and it was still rock. He lay on his side away from her, but leaned up to glance back.

"c...can I ask you a question? about before I mean..." he let the words hang, figuring his point would come across that he wanted to ask about before the circus.

"how long were you out on the streets? I mean I know you didn't tell me but I figured it out just by the way you act I guess, how long?" he asked again, hoping she wouldn't be mad at him, he had always been a very curious person, a trait they both shared.

"Good," Natasha replied bitterly when Daniel pointed out that a mind reader couldn't find them. "I hate mind readers and peoples like that. Chun Li was a bastard." Several years ago Natasha and Chun Li, the mind reader, had been an item in the circus. Very, very few people knew what had happened and no one was willing to talk about it, but at some point things had been broken off and Chun Li kicked out.

Natasha smiled when Daniel called her smart and made more room for him. When he laid down with his back to her she rolled her eyes. It was clear he was shy. With a sigh she scooted closer and wrapped an arm around him, cuddling up in the spooning position and taking her place as the big spoon.

"Here, is warmer," she explained quietly before closing her eyes. When he looked back and spoke, she opened her eyes again. "About before what?" she asked. When Daniel elaborated, she was quiet for a few moments as though gathering her thoughts. "Four years," Natasha said after a few moments of thought. It was another long moment before she spoke again.

"My parents, they are good people but very...religious. Always they know bout my gift, since I was little girl. They tried...everything. Prayer, mostly. My father, he say I am possessed by demons and cannot be saved. Thirteen I was, when they said they would not house demons any longer. So I leave home, leave school, live on streets in Saint Petersburg. I fall in with wrong crowd after about six months...next thing I know I am ah...what you say?" The acrobat struggled to find the correct euphemisms. "Turn tricks, I think is right, for next hit. Five years ago Shane finds me sleeping on bench in train station, strung out, hardly know where I am. I would be dead if he did not find me." Natasha's arm tightened a little around Daniel's chest and she leaned her forehead against her back as she swallowed back emotion. She had never been a crier and she refused to start now.

"What about you?" Natasha asked after a few long moments of pressing back emotion. Shane's betrayal was just beginning to sink in and it was hitting her particularly hard, considering she literally owed the man her life. "Where did he find you? I never know...are you American or Canadian?"

She would feel his chest expand as he takes a deep breath, feeling her arms around him, her body close to his...it felt incredibly warm despite the growing chill outside their little blanket. He didn't mean to bring up her old flame, in fact he had forgotten that whole relationship, so naturally he felt bad. Debating rolling around to face her, knowing it would be warmer and more comfortable, well more physically comfortable, not so much on the mental side, at least for the young knife thrower. He had a few girlfriends here and there but travelling around the continent left anything more then a fling as near impossible unless it was with someone within the troupe. Daniel closed his eyes, feeling like he had opened a box that might have been better off left closed judging by her voice.

"turning...tricks?" it took him several long seconds before he realized, maybe it was just the exhaustion of the day, she had prostituted herself, she had been a drug user and this had gone on for 4 years. He grit his teeth, no wondered she felt such a strong connection to Shane, even if he wasn't the best man in the world he was surely better then half the guys she must have seen in that time right? he wanted to believe that, the man he had admired for a while had to be decent right?

He was a racist, or a speciesist... whatever the term he had a great distaste for humans, Daniel had noticed as much over time but he'd never have imagined that Shane would be capable of attempting some sort of armed uprising.

"Canadian, travelling out of highschool I went to where my family came from originally, Orleans" he turned onto his back and glanced to her, trying not to look to nervous "I kind of fell in love with Europe, so I just...never left" he sighed "My powers were around when I was a kid too, my parent's pretty much chose to ignore them, refusing to admit I had them, they tried to be good people but it's difficult when you aren't what they wanted..." he turned his head fully to her, knowing she could sympathize, he hadn't been through what she had, but they seemed to share a common starting point.

"I happened across the circus when it was in the area I happened to be in at the time...went to the show and I could tell right away some of the people in it were like me, I saw more and more until I realized it had to be the entire circus was run by freaks, I litterally ran away to the circus I just never planned it" he chuckled but silenced himself when he saw how she seemed to be feeling, it had been a rough day.

"It's alright Natasha..." he didn't know what to say so he just finally rolled to face her and, after a moment's hesitation, put his arm around her in a hug "you don't have to hold back if you don't want to."

Natasha could feel Daniel's body tense as he slowly began to understand what she had been talking about. She chewed on her tongue and cast her eyes downward, waiting quietly in the dark for him to pass judgement as had everyone to know her story. It was usually the sleeping with strangers in exchange for drugs or drug money that got them, regardless of how old she had been at the time. But the judgement never came. Instead Daniel allowed the change of subject and told her of how he had left after high school. They seemed to have similar family lives, though she doubted Daniel's parents took the same disciplinary tack hers had.

The acrobat's eyes studied his face in the dark when he turned onto his back, then when he looked at her. He had a nice face. She had always thought so, but she hadn't really seen it in the dark and it was even nice in the dark. She smiled a little when he chuckled, but she was feeling too tired to actually laugh. When he held her close she leaned her forehead against his upper chest.

"I am tired." It was only a half-fib. She was tired, but she did want to let go. But she couldn't. There was no way that after years and years of holding back she was going to make right now the time she chose to let go. Instead she pulled him closer, awkwardly hugging him back. "You smell nice," she murmured into his chest quietly.

His cheeks felt warm and he tightened his hold on her a bit, when he had thought about her past before it had occured to him that what she had said might have been a possibility, it's the same story all over the world isn't it? poor women resorting too using their bodies, or worse yet being forced into it. He sighed and ran his hand up and down her back "I'm glad he found you...even if it wound up like this I'm glad I got to meet you and I'm glad you got away from such a life, I promise I'll do my best so you don't have to return to it, I know you will too" they'd have to stick together if they wanted to avoid going down such a dark road, even though he knew she was capable, likely more capable then he was he couldn't help but feel protective.

Daniel bit his lip and nodded, his body was sore but he found himself awake mentally "me too...should we try and sleep?" he asked her, both of them lying to the other, maybe it was to escape the crushing reality of the world, their mutual patron was a genocidal maniac who was potentially hunting them, they had both left home so young, on their own in a world that didn't accept their strange abilities and now they were again on their own, at least they had each other.

He reached down and took her hand that wasn't over his body, squeezing it softly, it was strange how close they were and yet Daniel felt...it was difficult to describe, it wasn't that he found her unattractive or anything, he had taken an interest in her early on in his days at the circus, but it was just as if he wasn't thinking about things like that.

Daniel felt comfortable, even laying on a rock in the middle of a dark cave he felt comfortable with her close by, it was as simple as that.

"I only hope you are right," Natasha said quietly from his chest, closing her eyes. "Tattoos...piercings...the dragon...everything all ends in needles. One way or the other. I am glad I met you too, Daniel." He seemed to finally be starting to relax and had fallen into thought. When he spoke again she clenched her eyes shut tight and bit her lip in an attempt at patience. "I have been trying to sleep since when we lay down." The acrobat tried not to sound too impatient.

Natasha scooted closer to the knife thrower, every part of their body touching. The denim felt strange against her thighs as she tangled their legs together. She was surprised a little, however, when he took her hand and held it. She moved their hands up between their chests and laced their fingers. Her chest swelled around their clasped fingers as she took a deep breath and sighed.

"Good night, Daniel," she murmured sleepily, nuzzling her face into his neck for more warmth as she drifted into sleep.

Back
Top Bottom