Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Obsession with your rp

Lily2988

Planetoid
Am I the only one who get seriously obsessed with the stories they are telling? I feel like I can't think of anything else to the detriment of other part of my life, and I end up acting like Annie from Misery, figuratively standing over my partner demanding they write for me. I'm always starting little sideplots and adding new characters so I have something to do when my partners aren't around, and I write posts that are way too long on the main plot. Not that anyone has complained, quite the opposite, but I know I'm being unreasonable and they are putting up it.

Maybe it's because I'm the kind of person who devours a novel all in one sitting...

I think I should take a break from it to get some perspective, which is like going cold turkey from my particular brand of heroin. If I could pour this kind of passion into an actual novel, I would be a prolific author. :p

I'd love some validation from other writers who get similarly obsessed, but I also want to hear from people who don't have a problem keeping it balanced.

I feel the same way. When I get into a good roleplay, it consumes me and my thoughts. And I can only compare it to an addiction. If my partner goes too long without replying, I have withdrawals.

And I do the same thing when it comes to side plots, new characters, back stories and much more. I have tried to get away from roleplaying several times in my life, but no matter what, the urge to roleplay always wins and I find myself looking for a partner.

Hopefully I won't have to ever look again and my RP partner dies before they stop roleplaying with me. . . Oh wait, is that too creepy to say...?

For me, it depends on what's going on around me in "real life". I can get consumed by the roleplay but if life pulls me away, the words eat at me until I can get them down onto screen, even if I'm not able to actually post them for days.

I used to feel this way before I realized that kind if obsessive and possessive/almost bully behavior was not appreciated from the other side. It takes a lot of strength to face what you are running from so desperately that you begin to demand escape from every part of your life. In the end nobody can tell you what you're willing to tolerate. Still that sounds really bad and almost like you're dehumanizing your partners a little bit. And for what? It's important to have respect for people at all levels of this process.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

0.jpg

MissClover said:
And I do the same thing when it comes to side plots, new characters, back stories and much more. I have tried to get away from roleplaying several times in my life, but no matter what, the urge to roleplay always wins and I find myself looking for a partner.

Hopefully I won't have to ever look again and my RP partner dies before they stop roleplaying with me. . . Oh wait, is that too creepy to say...?

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way! Wonder what the two of us would be like writing together with all the side plots and stuff going on, lol. So, did giving it up for awhile help? And not creepy, sounds like you found a great partner. Me too, the two I roleplay with now will be my besties even if I have to stop writing.

DareToDream said:
For me, it depends on what's going on around me in "real life". I can get consumed by the roleplay but if life pulls me away, the words eat at me until I can get them down onto screen, even if I'm not able to actually post them for days.

Yep. I can't do anything else until I can get those words out... at camp I had to write it in a notebook so I could stop thinking about it until I got back to civilization.

Rudolph Quin said:
I used to feel this way before I realized that kind if obsessive and possessive/almost bully behavior was not appreciated from the other side. It takes a lot of strength to face what you are running from so desperately that you begin to demand escape from every part of your life. In the end nobody can tell you what you're willing to tolerate. Still that sounds really bad and almost like you're dehumanizing your partners a little bit. And for what? It's important to have respect for people at all levels of this process.

It's true, my obsessive behavior is partly being avoidant of unpleasant things I don't want to deal with. I hope I'm not coming off as that severe to my partners... it's more like nagging and pouting than being mean.

:heart: Wveth :heart:, now I wish I could change the thread title to "Overly Attached Roleplayer". :p

I dunno, I don't want to feel obsessed, and yet I am grumpy as a bear without a creative outlet. Balance is eluding me.

Yeah, there's a level of obsession. Though my rp is the table top variety. I've spent so much money on rule systems, monster books and setting books.

And then there's the dice, I have lots of those little polyhedrals.

You aren't the only one. I'm addicted to one of my RPs and sometimes tend to write massive posts, sometimes 6-7 paragraphs with some 1200 words or more. It's ridiculous, it's like I'm writing a college paper on each post but I do it anyways because I love the plot and my partner is just amazing. I have to apologize for getting carried away at times haha.

BennyQ said:
You aren't the only one. I'm addicted to one of my RPs and sometimes tend to write massive posts, sometimes 6-7 paragraphs with some 1200 words or more. It's ridiculous, it's like I'm writing a college paper on each post but I do it anyways because I love the plot and my partner is just amazing. I have to apologize for getting carried away at times haha.

Yep, sounds familiar. :)

Lily2988 said:
Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way! Wonder what the two of us would be like writing together with all the side plots and stuff going on, lol. So, did giving it up for awhile help? And not creepy, sounds like you found a great partner. Me too, the two I roleplay with now will be my besties even if I have to stop writing.

Giving it up didn't help at all. In fact, when I came back to it, my obsession was worse and my addiction was very extreme. I started getting depressed when I wasn't able to reply. It got to the point that I even cried that I wasn't able to reply. So that would be a big NO! It did not help one bit!

MissClover said:
Giving it up didn't help at all. In fact, when I came back to it, my obsession was worse and my addiction was very extreme. I started getting depressed when I wasn't able to reply. It got to the point that I even cried that I wasn't able to reply. So that would be a big NO! It did not help one bit!

Uh oh. I'm already a big grump without my RP. Hope I'm not giving it up for nothing.

I absolutely adore the RP's that I have going. I can't wait to see what my partners have planned for the story and I can't wait to see how the story will progress. What new tragedy will occur or what new twists will happen. I get all spazzy and fan-girl-ish when I see my partner has posted.

At the same time I can wait forever and a day to get a reply. I don't ever pressure my partners into posting and tell them they can literally take as long as they need. Whether it's a day or 9 months. I'll wait because I really do love them and don't want to do anything to ruin them.

I've had people in the past try and pressure me into posting and it just kills my muse so I don't do it to my partners.

That and I can't really complain since I've taken 6 months to write a reply because real life butted in and started dragging me away.

=x

I found this thread really amusing to read. But to also contribute; To a degree. Not as much as most of you, but I do pay close attention and want answers ASAP so I can get back to them. Lately my speed in replies have adjusted themselves to match my partner's. Fast-paced RPs increase in motivation on my side, and thus becomes of more quality to some degree. And with that, I keep going over the parts we've already written and want to write more!

My obsession in story writing began in my early 20's rewriting the same character I have been using forever. Medieval Magic role play has never left me, and it still hasn't today. No matter how much I try to change the environment. I still end up using the same character name, but in different variations of him with the same kind of skills of a mage. even in this kind of role play with limitations of all sorts. Edmon Dontez is forever stuck in my world of imaginations.

My obsession in story writing began in my early 20's rewriting the same character I have been using forever. Medieval Magic role play has never left me, and it still hasn't today. No matter how much I try to change the environment. I still end up using the same character name, but in different variations of him with the same kind of skills of a mage. even in this kind of role play with limitations of all sorts. Edmon Dontez is forever stuck in my world of imaginations.

Back
Top Bottom